PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks hire a new GM, Rockets VP Gerrson Rosas, Nelly will stay on as "President"

scissors
07-22-2013, 05:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--mavericks-reach-agreement-with-rockets-executive-gersson-rosas-to-become-general-manager-141302827.html

The Dallas Mavericks have agreed in principle with Houston Rockets VP of basketball operations Gersson Rosas to become the franchise's general manager, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

For Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president Donnie Nelson, the hiring of Rosas is a coup for an organization that has been committed to finding a way to strengthen its basketball operations. Rosas will be given significant latitude to shape the direction of the franchise's pro and college personnel departments, free agency and scouting.

As an integral part of rebuilding the Rockets' roster with Houston general manager Daryl Morey, Rosas, 35, is considered one of the NBA's best young executives.

Over nine years with the Rockets, Rosas advanced steadily through the organization, beginning as a video coordinator and scout, and rising to executive vice president of basketball operations. With Rosas as general manager of Houston's D-League affiliate, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the team won two championships and reached a third league finals.

Rosas is a native of Bogota, Columbia, and has a coaching history at the University of Houston and with the Venezuelan national team.

The Rockets' front office has become fertile ground for rival franchises to hire executives. Rosas is the second member of the Rockets' front office to leave for a GM promotion this year. Sam Hinkie became the Philadelphia 76ers' general manager in May.

Chronz
07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
How do I get a job as a video coordinator for the NBA? Seriously that seems like a job that can lead to a variety of upper jobs.

And what is this, like the 2nd or 3rd member of Morey's staff to get hired by an opposing team. Hope Morey kept alot of things close to the chest because his moneyball strat is going global.

Tanakid777
07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Great move if they let him do his job

Hellcrooner
07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
How do I get a job as a video coordinator for the NBA? Seriously that seems like a job that can lead to a variety of upper jobs.

And what is this, like the 2nd or 3rd member of Morey's staff to get hired by an opposing team. Hope Morey kept alot of things close to the chest because his moneyball strat is going global.

i still want to see geek number 1 rockets get a ring or geek number 2 grizzlies get a ring.

in some years the moneyball histeria will be a forgotten thing of the past.

stats are a good tool to use to understand.
but they are not a god you need to make dogmatism around as the only truth.
if they were, you wouldnt need to play the games.

LTBaByyy
07-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Perfect move, Donnie can just step back and be the President

NBA views Rosas as one of the best young executives

Knowledge
07-23-2013, 02:20 PM
i still want to see geek number 1 rockets get a ring or geek number 2 grizzlies get a ring.

No one who uses advanced stats treats them as the end all be all, but they should be an integral part of any organization. Fifteen NBA teams (including the heat) have player tracking technology in the form of SportVU cameras and it is only growing.

Also Mem and Houston are the only 2 teams that use advanced stats

Spoelstra and Carlisle rely heavily on Advanced stats so here's to the geeks

Chronz
07-23-2013, 04:30 PM
I dont think you know just how many geeks already have rings.

Let me know when the trend reverses because its been gaining steam every decade. Matter of fact, let me know of a single instance in ANY sport where this has happened. I honestly dont think thats how information/data evolves. Sounds more like you're bitter that some stat gos against what you feel to be true. Dont be, stats arent here to think for you.

This is the argument all the ignorant laymen use to lament the proliferation of stats. NO ONE uses them as gospel, they use them as the tools that you described, those tools are getting better too.

Now explain to me, WHY would someone want to go to work with LESS information?

Hellcrooner
07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I dont think you know just how many geeks already have rings.

Let me know when the trend reverses because its been gaining steam every decade. Matter of fact, let me know of a single instance in ANY sport where this has happened. I honestly dont think thats how information/data evolves. Sounds more like you're bitter that some stat gos against what you feel to be true. Dont be, stats arent here to think for you.

This is the argument all the ignorant laymen use to lament the proliferation of stats. NO ONE uses them as gospel, they use them as the tools that you described, those tools are getting better too.

Now explain to me, WHY would someone want to go to work with LESS information?

Funny thing.
Im 100% convinced that the reason why Soccer has not really gotten the same fanbase in usa than the rest of the world is because stats are basically worthless and you cant measure its player ( ecept maybe goalkeepers) at all with them.

Btw, advanced stats tend tomake my boys, pau, jose, marc , Ricky, serge ibaka etc look better than people rates them.
But i still say there are things that CANT be measured by stats.

sunsfan88
07-23-2013, 05:16 PM

What does a video coordinator do anyways?

And Morey is coming from the infamous Presti tree where guys like Morey, Hennigan have all gotten theirs with Orlando & Houston.

And good call about the geeks thing lol. If you were to see Morey walking his dog on the street, you would never think he's a GM unless you have seen his pic before. He looks like one of those fat guys who you see in the movies just playing video games and working a part time job at GameStop or something lol. But his brains and tactics are now worth at least $5 million for the Rockets.

Chronz
07-23-2013, 05:23 PM
What does a video coordinator do anyways?

And Morey is coming from the infamous Presti tree where guys like Morey, Hennigan have all gotten theirs with Orlando & Houston.

And good call about the geeks thing lol. If you were to see Morey walking his dog on the street, you would never think he's a GM unless you have seen his pic before. He looks like one of those fat guys who you see in the movies just playing video games and working a part time job at GameStop or something lol. But his brains and tactics are now worth at least $5 million for the Rockets.
Gotta a link because I thought Morey came from Boston, working under Ainge before being the deputy Commish for the Rox.

IIRC, he helped Ainge with the brain analysis that compared Jordans brain type with Scalabrines, which led to his extension . Weird stuff, prolly not his best moment tho

sunsfan88
07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Gotta a link because I thought Morey came from Boston, working under Ainge before being the deputy Commish for the Rox.

IIRC, he helped Ainge with the brain analysis that compared Jordans brain type with Scalabrines, which led to his extension . Weird stuff, prolly not his best moment tho
That's true, I stand corrected. He came from Boston.

So Morey (HOU), Wallace (MEM) and now McDonough (PHX) have all come from the Ainge foundation of young GMs.