PDA

View Full Version : Staal and Nash invited to Team Canada camp.

bsi
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
http://www.outsidethegarden.com/articles/story.asp?id=1303

SLY WILLIAMS
07-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Hope Lundy, Hags, Mats, and MCd are also invited to their teams. Maybe Steps and Cally as well.

puckhead54
07-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Hope Lundy, Hags, Mats, and MCd are also invited to their teams. Maybe Steps and Cally as well.

Step, Cally & Mcd all invited to team USA.

bsi
07-22-2013, 08:52 PM
For all the negative talk of our players the rest of the world thinks they're ok ;)

NYSPORTS98
07-22-2013, 10:45 PM
staal needs to heal first. Priority #1 should be NYR

SLY WILLIAMS
07-23-2013, 12:15 AM
staal needs to heal first. Priority #1 should be NYR

That is a legit point. I'm actually surprised he got the invite with the eye. Does that mean the eye is now 100%?

metswon69
07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
That is a legit point. I'm actually surprised he got the invite with the eye. Does that mean the eye is now 100%?

I don't think the Rangers would let him play for Team Canada under other pretense.

He's still contractually obligated to us first and foremost.

bsi
07-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Canada won't want him if he's not 100%, they have lots of options at D. Thing is I believe the first part of most of the camps are actually off ice stuff so the eye at this point is probably just an afterthought and they want him there incase he'll be 100% later on if he isn't now, which I have no idea if he is or isn't.

Rangers in 7
07-23-2013, 02:11 PM
everything i have read has all three of cally, steps, and mcd making USA, hank and hags making SWE, and nash making CAN, oo and zucc SWI

bsi
07-23-2013, 03:36 PM
A lot can happen between then and now, gonna be some surprises along the way.

NYSPORTS98
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
For all the negative talk of our players the rest of the world thinks they're ok ;)

Both head and eye injuries aren't exactly bruises. Maybe one of these NHL minds will offer a nice package for Staal. I'm pretty confident quite a few Matt Millen's have a lot of say across the NHL landscape.

Rangers in 7
07-24-2013, 11:00 AM
i could see staal leaving, especially if we were to get a good package of young forwards in return...its really all about what we are being offered, if your talking something like skinner and a first from carolina then im down for that

bsi
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Staal isn't going anywhere unless he's not able to play 100%. We finally have a decent 6 D, there's no point in shipping D men out for forwards as soon as we solve our D issues. As well his contract is less than you'd pay someone now for what he does on the ice. His eye injury is a pretty obvious thing to figure out if it's a hinderance to him. His head injury is more problematic but as I said before most NHL'ers have at some point in their career gotten a concussion, had their bell rung, saw tweety birds whatever you wanna call it. Our forward depth in the minors is much stronger than our D depth, I don't see any reason except if a person thought he couldn't play anymore to ship him out. When he played last year he was our best D man. Talk of getting Skinner for him is not helpful to this team at all, I'd prefer someone with more size, we're slowly turning into the Canadiens with our forwads, need to get off that train. Having Skinner, Hagelin, Zuccarello all possibly playing a top 6 role is a disaster waiting to happen.

I like Girardi and Stralman but those are the only two that could possibly be moved off this teams 6d in favour of another style D man, but really I think the team is happy with having Staal/McDonagh..DelZotto/Moore....Girardi/Stralman as their D. Atleast that's how I'd arrange the D if Moore can progress this year.

Rangers in 7
07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Staal isn't going anywhere unless he's not able to play 100%. We finally have a decent 6 D, there's no point in shipping D men out for forwards as soon as we solve our D issues. As well his contract is less than you'd pay someone now for what he does on the ice. His eye injury is a pretty obvious thing to figure out if it's a hinderance to him. His head injury is more problematic but as I said before most NHL'ers have at some point in their career gotten a concussion, had their bell rung, saw tweety birds whatever you wanna call it. Our forward depth in the minors is much stronger than our D depth, I don't see any reason except if a person thought he couldn't play anymore to ship him out. When he played last year he was our best D man. Talk of getting Skinner for him is not helpful to this team at all, I'd prefer someone with more size, we're slowly turning into the Canadiens with our forwads, need to get off that train. Having Skinner, Hagelin, Zuccarello all possibly playing a top 6 role is a disaster waiting to happen.

I like Girardi and Stralman but those are the only two that could possibly be moved off this teams 6d in favour of another style D man, but really I think the team is happy with having Staal/McDonagh..DelZotto/Moore....Girardi/Stralman as their D. Atleast that's how I'd arrange the D if Moore can progress this year.

i do agree that girardi and stralman would be the first 2 to go, but skinner is an exceptional talent and if we were to get him id turn around and trade hags and/or zucc in a heartbeat

bsi
07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
i do agree that girardi and stralman would be the first 2 to go, but skinner is an exceptional talent and if we were to get him id turn around and trade hags and/or zucc in a heartbeat

I don't mind one or two small guys on the team but the Canadiens found out the hard way against Ottawa that it won't work if you have too many, thankfully they keep signing small guys though haha. Skinner is a really good player but I wonder how he'd play away from big Eric. I think if he lines up with Brassard and say Hagelin he'll be no better than Zuccarello IMO. Was why I wanted Clowe for the right price, he makes guys like Zuccarello and Hagelin a little more effective when he's on the ice. If we're shipping Staal out we'd have to get something pretty good back, as much as some rag on him he's still viewed as a top level D man in the league.

Rangers in 7
07-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't mind one or two small guys on the team but the Canadiens found out the hard way against Ottawa that it won't work if you have too many, thankfully they keep signing small guys though haha. Skinner is a really good player but I wonder how he'd play away from big Eric. I think if he lines up with Brassard and say Hagelin he'll be no better than Zuccarello IMO. Was why I wanted Clowe for the right price, he makes guys like Zuccarello and Hagelin a little more effective when he's on the ice. If we're shipping Staal out we'd have to get something pretty good back, as much as some rag on him he's still viewed as a top level D man in the league.

i personally still see staal as a top talent and only would trade him if we got something in return that would equal what we gave away....the perfect trade would have been bobby ryan and a player or pick for staal, that would help both teams

the only reason i said carolina is because then all 4 staals could play together, they dont really have the player you are looking for imo, because they would never trade one of the staals for another staal

bsi
07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
i personally still see staal as a top talent and only would trade him if we got something in return that would equal what we gave away....the perfect trade would have been bobby ryan and a player or pick for staal, that would help both teams

the only reason i said carolina is because then all 4 staals could play together, they dont really have the player you are looking for imo, because they would never trade one of the staals for another staal

Ya I agree though I think with McIlrath a year away from playing I think we'll need all the D we have, maybe next year would be a better time for a move.

Rangers in 7
07-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Ya I agree though I think with McIlrath a year away from playing I think we'll need all the D we have, maybe next year would be a better time for a move.

you are probably correct in that statement and depending how the year goes i think that will be a huge factor as to what they do....id rather keep staal for the long term trust me, but if we get blown away with an offer i wont be complaining