PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat to add a 4th star in 2014?

rockbottom2010
07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
In the wake of Dwight Howard’s departure, the Los Angeles Lakers have been looking forward to 2014, when their options could be wide with a deep free-agent class and perhaps as much as $50 million in salary-cap room.

But there could be another huge player in free agency next summer, another destination team with a championship pedigree: The Miami Heat.

That may be hard to fathom at the moment because the Heat currently have a payroll of more than $80 million and a large luxury-tax bill that forced them to waive Mike Miller last week. But as of now, there is a possibility that every player on the Heat roster could be a free agent next summer.

The Heat are an example of the difference between a team with a full cap as opposed to a team that is capped out.

That’s why it would be unwise to disregard the Heat’s options when it comes to looking at next summer. There’s a chance the Heat will have as much cap space as anyone to retrofit their team around the most-prized potential free agent, LeBron James, if he opts out of his contract as expected.

“When 2014 hits, we'll be ready to deal with that,” Heat president Pat Riley said after the season. “We're just going to keep everything very fluid ... we'll be prepared for anything, as we were in 2010."

The two-time champs know they will have 13 players back from this season’s title team for the 2013-14 season and Riley has made it clear he believes the status quo is the way to go as they attempt to establish a dynasty. But a year from now, the shape of the Heat roster is a bit of a mystery. Depending on the health of their core players and their competition for James, that could turn out to be a good thing. The roster is aging, but because of the flexibility of the contracts on the books, it’s not necessarily a roster they are locked into.

First, James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade all have opt-out clauses in their contracts. That represents a $61 million portion of the team’s salary cap for 2014-15. It is hard to predict what each player will do because much will depend on health, the success of the team and other variables. But all three very well could opt out to re-do their contracts to assure more guaranteed years.

All three are earning less than the maximum salary and it is possible they could seek raises. However, all three have already shown a willingness to work with the front office to structure their deals in a way that will allow more flexibility.

In addition, Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier, Ray Allen, James Jones and Rashard Lewis all are headed into the final year of their contracts. Udonis Haslem, Joel Anthony and Chris Andersen all have player options. Norris Cole has a team option.

Even if Haslem, Anthony and Andersen bypass free agency next summer and the Heat, as expected, pick up Cole’s option, the team still could have in the neighborhood of $50 million to play with depending on what the Big Three decide.

The Miller amnesty release last week was unpopular with some players and many of the Heat’s fans. But it did more than save luxury-tax money, it also cleared extra cap space for the future. No matter how the Heat ultimately proceed, they will have an opportunity to revamp the roster following this season. If James decides to stay, he can be a drawing card for younger free agents as the Heat may look to replace some of their aging players.

Over the past three years, players have repeatedly taken less money to play with the Heat, often because Riley has been persuasive in contract talks. The team also has assistant general manager Andy Elisburg, who has proven to be a shrewd salary-cap manager during his long tenure with the team that has allowed the Heat to pull off some maneuvers that have shocked the league several times.

While several competitors will plot to poach James and perhaps Bosh, the Heat may be able to convince their stars to restructure their contracts in a way that would allow them to add another big name. Much of that may depend on Wade, who already showed a willingness to take the biggest pay cut to make room for teammates in 2010.

Bottom line, the Heat could end up being one of the most interesting teams in next summer’s already fascinating free-agent game. Not just as a protector of their championship roster but perhaps as a hunter for a player or two who could help them stay on top for the back end of James’ prime years.

Riley has dismissed rivals' transparent attempts to chase James or get into an arms race with the Heat because he’s confident in how the franchise has positioned itself in the short- and long-term.

"What one other team does, I think it doesn't have any bearing on what we're thinking about," Riley said. "We're a three-time finalist. We won back-to-back championships. We've got our entire core back, signed, opted-in, and we're tickled to death with that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/18251/heat-to-be-major-players-in-summer-of-2014

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

Rockice_8
07-22-2013, 02:53 PM
So you think the big three are going to take even less money than they already did? I just don't see how it's possible? You need to give numbers and take into account cap holds and things for me to believe this is even possible. I mean with those guys opting in and the cap holds of the big three and roster spaces where is the money coming from?

I don't see how the Heat are going to add another big name to the core without dumping Bosh or Wade.

FYL_McVeezy
07-22-2013, 02:56 PM
And this my friends is why LBJ will never leave South Beach. Especially with Pat Riley running the show. The rich will get richer!

NYKnickFanatic
07-22-2013, 02:56 PM
So you think the big three are going to take even less money than they already did? I just don't see how it's possible? You need to give numbers and take into account cap holds and things for me to believe this is even possible. I mean with those guys opting in and the cap holds of the big three and roster spaces where is the money coming from?

I don't see how the Heat are going to add another big name to the core without dumping Bosh or Wade.

Dump Wade or re-sign him for the vet minimum ;)

hugepatsfan
07-22-2013, 02:57 PM
If Wade/Bosh/LBJ all opt out and take deal starting at about 12-13 mil it can happen. The 4th star would have to take a similar discount though.

rockbottom2010
07-22-2013, 02:59 PM
This is the reason why Micky Arison has Pat Riley to run the show. He did in 2010, and he will do it again in 2014. This will hurt the Lakers, esp. when Jim Buss is running the show.

rockbottom2010
07-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I expect Wade to have a salary under 10 million after the 2014 season. As for Bosh, hes ballpark is around 10-12 mill. Pat Riley knows what he's doing.

Rockice_8
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
If Wade/Bosh/LBJ all opt out and take deal starting at about 12-13 mil it can happen. The 4th star would have to take a similar discount though.

Right so they all need to take discounts and so does the new guy coming in. Much more of a long shot then the article makes it seem.

So who are they targeting? I don't see the center they need on the market.

Edit: Quick look maybe a guy like Gortat or Dirk would come over on a discount as they are looking for a ring later in their career but I don't see a big star joining up. Still they actually could make a solid splash in FA but it probably won't be a star.

HouRealCoach
07-22-2013, 03:14 PM
You guys are delusional lol

JLynn943
07-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Unless Wade and Bosh are fine with a pay cut, I don't know why they'd opt out. They can rightfully argue that they've already proven to be good enough without another star and they can get paid more for trying to do it with that 3 again. Only way I could see it happening is if they lose this year or they find they'd rather be locked up longer - but I don't see the second happening because both Bosh and Wade would still get paid after their current deals are over.

WITZ
07-22-2013, 03:18 PM
You guys are delusional lol

:clap: , Don't see them each taking about a 7-9 million dollar pay cut. them adding a 4th star is laughable.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I think Riley's role here is being way overblown. It really comes down to Wade, Bosh, and Lebron all opting out next summer leaving 20-21 million each on the table for 1 year just to sign for sign 12 million annually or whatever it would need to be.

In my opinion, the Big 3 would be more responsible for making it happen than Riley, plus I think Lebron is the only one to opt out, only to re-up for max money, leaving minimal money going forward.

lakerboy
07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Lebron, Bosh or Wade might not even opt out.

shep33
07-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Very unlikely.

Bron is going to get paid.

ThunderousDemon
07-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Lebron is going to ask for the max, and he'll get it.

Rockice_8
07-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Guy has been about winning so he's taken discounts before so I could see him taking a similar deal to his last one again. He makes so much off the court that he can do that. I just don't see them all taking even bigger discounts though. It's one thing to take a small discount to make it work that was great now you're gonna ask the best player in the world to take even more of a cut.

While I think they'll all do a small pay cut the big three with 2 rings on their fingers aren't going to take Gerald Wallace type deals to make this work.

justinnum1
07-22-2013, 04:02 PM
We are not getting another star, more likely, each guy takes a similar paycut as last time, and we get under the tax line and get the full MLE for next season.

TheIlladelph16
07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Don't see this happening at all, however, I will not say that it's impossible after 2010. We'll see, but I fully expect Lebron to get paid like he should this time around.

justinnum1
07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't see this happening at all, however, I will not say that it's impossible after 2010. We'll see, but I fully expect Lebron to get paid like he should this time around.

He would more than makeup for it off the court.

Cal827
07-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm just gonna post this to bait some Laker Fans:

:dance: #KobetoMiami2014 :dance:

FriedTofuz
07-22-2013, 04:22 PM
yeah right, Lebron is a laker in 2014

FYL_McVeezy
07-22-2013, 04:22 PM

:laugh:

That would be the funniest, most maddening **** ever!

Cal827
07-22-2013, 04:23 PM
On a more serious point, I think Justin suggested a more likely scenario. It would be scary if they were actually able to sign Kobe or Melo. Any decent centers out next season (who would take the MLE)? Not the guys who will likely get maxed lol

rhd420
07-22-2013, 04:24 PM
We are not getting another star, more likely, each guy takes a similar paycut as last time, and we get under the tax line and get the full MLE for next season.

I give the Heat a ton of credit for getting players to do so ... a "star" who might not have a title and go for the short term maybe, LeBron is going to ask and get max but if any player in the league should, he's the one.

The math will be interesting so Riley will certainly have to do some work ... Riley knows about dynasties so I wish him well (a Former Laker) in trying to keep one going

justinnum1
07-22-2013, 04:28 PM
I give the Heat a ton of credit for getting players to do so ... a "star" who might not have a title and go for the short term maybe, LeBron is going to ask and get max but if any player in the league should, he's the one.

The math will be interesting so Riley will certainly have to do some work ... Riley knows about dynasties so I wish him well (a Former Laker) in trying to keep one going

Riley actually has nothing to do with that cap numbers. Andy Elisberg is our cap guy and he works with riley.

TheIlladelph16
07-22-2013, 04:29 PM
He would more than makeup for it off the court.

I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly, but I think we agree haha. I do expect him to go for a Max deal this time (salary and years), but I could see him doing a similar discount to his last contract because of the lack of state income tax and his endorsements. I think he makes something between 40-50 million when its all said and done now, so a discount wouldn't be out of the question.

justinnum1
07-22-2013, 04:34 PM

I hope not.

hugepatsfan
07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
On a more serious point, I think Justin suggested a more likely scenario. It would be scary if they were actually able to sign Kobe or Melo. Any decent centers out next season (who would take the MLE)? Not the guys who will likely get maxed lol

Marcin Gortat might be someone they could nab with the MLE.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Why would Bosh or Wade take a paycut? All they have to do is opt in and they will be getting paid way more than anyone else would offer them going forward. Ask Brandon Jennings about that

Shmontaine
07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
realistically, james should get max (17+ starting with 20% increases) and bosh should be around 14-15 mil per with dwade at 13-14 mil per.. that's 46 mil. enough to get another guy if said guy is willing. not even sure who they would target...

rockbottom2010
07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
I hope not.

ditto....on top of that, micky arison is the 3rd richest owner in the NBA and 211th in the word. Ladies and Gentleman, if you think money is an issue, well think again!

rockbottom2010
07-22-2013, 05:10 PM
yeah right, Lebron is a laker in 2014

Lakers fans were talking **** about Lebron for the past 3 years, and now begging for Lebron to come to Hollywood? Hahahhahahahahahhahahahha ( I can't stop laughing). On ya, as long as D'Antoni is head coach and Jim Buss runnin' the show, the Lakers are royalty screwed.

goku
07-22-2013, 05:11 PM
delusional Heat fans so is this 4th star going to take a major pay cut too ?

Heatcheck
07-22-2013, 05:23 PM

like last time?

justinnum1
07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
delusional Heat fans so is this 4th star going to take a major pay cut too ?
I haven't seen any heat fan name a star they think we can get. No need to get so mad.

jeter 2
07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
No they aren't. You completely misread the article. It said they'll be primed to have a big offseason in 2014. It doesn't mention them adding a fourth superstar.

DetroitBadBoy
07-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Getting another star wouldn't be worth it. All they need are role players who can hit an occasional shot, rebound, and play some defense. Kind of like Bosh.

Dade County
07-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Sooo, the only thing I got from the article is that <elo or a big man is coming to Miami.

Onto another note, couldn't the HEAT just wait until Lbj, Wade & Bosh opt out, sign a big name player, then just use the bird rights to sign the 3 stars back/ or it doesn't work like that?

In any case, if Lbj stays with the HEAT a lot of fans in the east are going to know what it felt like, when Jordan was winning all the championships; and everyone else was locked out.

Trueblue2
07-22-2013, 06:46 PM
With how everyone is talking about kobe takimg a pay cut in 2014 for the better of the team people over loom that wade is in the same situation. Hes been the face of his franchise for a decade, hes determined to win, and hes getting older. Unlike kobe, wade has shown willingness to take a pay cut for the benefit of the team in the past. If he signs in the 8-10 million range, they let bosh bolt, and lebron signs back for around 16-18 mil (hes taken pay cuts in the past and he makes bank off endorsemenrs, i can see him giving MIA a discount). They could have anywhere from 10-15 mil plus a miniMLE(and full MLE the following year).

With 10-15m in cap plus the mMLE riley can build the perfect team around Lebron/Wade. Quality FA already go there for cheap when they have no money to spend, imagine what kind of players they can pull with a good chunk of cap space.

bholly
07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
No they aren't. You completely misread the article. It said they'll be primed to have a big offseason in 2014. It doesn't mention them adding a fourth superstar.

It sort of does, actually. Most of it is about replacing stars and making other moves, both or which are much much more likely than adding a 4th star, but it does mention that possibility towards the bottom:

While several competitors will plot to poach James and perhaps Bosh, the Heat may be able to convince their stars to restructure their contracts in a way that would allow them to add another big name. Much of that may depend on Wade, who already showed a willingness to take the biggest pay cut to make room for teammates in 2010.

bholly
07-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Onto another note, couldn't the HEAT just wait until Lbj, Wade & Bosh opt out, sign a big name player, then just use the bird rights to sign the 3 stars back/ or it doesn't work like that?

It doesn't work like that. Free agents have a cap hold that counts against their team's cap until they either sign elsewhere or the team renounces them (which essentially means giving up their Bird rights).

ATX
07-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Have to wait and see what LeBron does, then all the dominoes will fall into place. Fun speculating I guess, but it's all whatever at this point.

lpdunks8
07-22-2013, 07:57 PM
With how everyone is talking about kobe takimg a pay cut in 2014 for the better of the team people over loom that wade is in the same situation. Hes been the face of his franchise for a decade, hes determined to win, and hes getting older. Unlike kobe, wade has shown willingness to take a pay cut for the benefit of the team in the past. If he signs in the 8-10 million range, they let bosh bolt, and lebron signs back for around 16-18 mil (hes taken pay cuts in the past and he makes bank off endorsemenrs, i can see him giving MIA a discount). They could have anywhere from 10-15 mil plus a miniMLE(and full MLE the following year).

With 10-15m in cap plus the mMLE riley can build the perfect team around Lebron/Wade. Quality FA already go there for cheap when they have no money to spend, imagine what kind of players they can pull with a good chunk of cap space.

Who in their right mind would opt out of Bosh's contract?????

http://www.hoopsworld.com/miami-heat-team-salary

Nobody on the open market is going to pay him that.

Bostonjorge
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Would like to see Miami big 4 of wade and bosh and 2 more stars vs lakers kobe, melo and Lebron.

sturm
07-22-2013, 09:04 PM
lakers kobe, melo and Lebron.hahaha they will need 3 basketballs.. highly doubtfull wish

Riodagoat
07-22-2013, 09:13 PM
And how many of the naysayers here were the same people who said that the Big 3 will not take a huge cut to play with each other back in 2012? You guys are talking like these guys only care about money.

Yes they might all opt-in. Yes Lebron may want the max. But them taking another pay cut has as good of a chance of the latter 2 happening.

Majority of PSD people are starting to sound like Charles Barkley.

BIG worm
07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
yea...they didnt take HUGE paycuts as you suggested. And them taking another paycut after winning 2 maybe 3 chips in a row just doesnt make sense to me. Thats something players hungry for a ring do, they will already have multiples by the time this comes up. it just doesnt add up.

JasonJohnHorn
07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
I read this elsewhere.

The cap space won't allow them to sign four all-stars unless all of them take pay cuts. If they want to keep the rights to the big three, their salaries count against the cap.

LBJ will be at 19 mil
Wade will be at over 18 mill
Bosh will be at 19 mil.

Those three guys ALONE put them over the cap. I expect Bosh will be on the chopping block if he isn't traded by then.

They also have Haslem who already took a pay cut to stay with the team. I expect they have a Joe-Smith-esque deal where they use his Bird rights to give him a better deal.

They are at at 40 million with LBJ and Wade alone. Even if Bosh and Wade both agree to take 10 mil, LBJ will still get 20 which will leave only 10 mil for the rest of the roster... they could sign an all-star with the 10 mil and use vet mins to fill up the roster....

Bottom line, unless Miami wants to create a new big three, their salary cap space will be the worst in the league next year.

As for Pat Riley being a genius... he isn't. He is only doing the same thing that Dallas did the last two years. Clear cap space to sign free agents. The difference is that the Heat were lucky enough to actually use that cap space on great players.

I expect LBJ to say in Miami and for Wade and Bosh to get less... but unless somebody takes a huge pay of one or two of the big three are dumped, LBJ won't be welcoing any new prime All-Stars to the team.

Kevj77
07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Sooo, the only thing I got from the article is that <elo or a big man is coming to Miami.

In any case, if Lbj stays with the HEAT a lot of fans in the east are going to know what it felt like, when Jordan was winning all the championships; and everyone else was locked out.Can't be done because of cap holds.

goku
07-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I haven't seen any heat fan name a star they think we can get. No need to get so mad.

im not mad I find the article hilarious

MrfadeawayJB
07-22-2013, 09:57 PM
They'll never take a pay cut like that. Best case is Bron gets max, bosh gets 15 mil, wade gets 12 mil. Really they should lose wade and replace him with the best sg available in FA

NYY 26 to 7
07-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Not even a slight chance at this.

LakersMaster24
07-22-2013, 10:10 PM

kingkenny01
07-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Melo is going to sign for the vet min, same with Kobe why at stop 4 stars. lol no one is going to take huge pay cuts

Slug3
07-22-2013, 10:14 PM
I read this elsewhere.

The cap space won't allow them to sign four all-stars unless all of them take pay cuts. If they want to keep the rights to the big three, their salaries count against the cap.

LBJ will be at 19 mil
Wade will be at over 18 mill
Bosh will be at 19 mil.

Those three guys ALONE put them over the cap. I expect Bosh will be on the chopping block if he isn't traded by then.

They also have Haslem who already took a pay cut to stay with the team. I expect they have a Joe-Smith-esque deal where they use his Bird rights to give him a better deal.

They are at at 40 million with LBJ and Wade alone. Even if Bosh and Wade both agree to take 10 mil, LBJ will still get 20 which will leave only 10 mil for the rest of the roster... they could sign an all-star with the 10 mil and use vet mins to fill up the roster....

Bottom line, unless Miami wants to create a new big three, their salary cap space will be the worst in the league next year.

As for Pat Riley being a genius... he isn't. He is only doing the same thing that Dallas did the last two years. Clear cap space to sign free agents. The difference is that the Heat were lucky enough to actually use that cap space on great players.

I expect LBJ to say in Miami and for Wade and Bosh to get less... but unless somebody takes a huge pay of one or two of the big three are dumped, LBJ won't be welcoing any new prime All-Stars to the team.

Not saying it will happen. But if the big 3 sign for less before they sign the 4th player it can happe. Lets say 13 million for the 3 will only count as 39 million with no cap holds.

Again I'm not saying it will happen just saying that's a way around the cap holds.

Burkey3472
07-22-2013, 10:15 PM
If they some how are able to get another star to go to Miami it will still be the big 3 because they'd be getting rid of Wade/Bosh (this is assuming everyone opts out).

I doubt any of these guys takes that big of a paycut just to bring in another star. A slight paycut maybe, not 7-8 million though.

IndyRealist
07-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Cap holds. Who writes this nonsense?

naps
07-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Highly unlikely but I think they take enough paycut to sign a mid level big man. May be someone like Gortat? But with the Godfather running the show, you just never know what he has up in his sleeves. One thing I have learned following this sport for a long time is that never count out Riley,

Hellcrooner
07-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Highly unlikely but I think they take enough paycut to sign a mid level big man. May be someone like Gortat? But with the Godfather running the show, you just never know what he has up in his sleeves. One thing I have learned following this sport for a long time is that never count out Riley,

Pau Gasol?

ArmLaker
07-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Whether they win a title next season or not, LeBron is going to want a max contract.....he deserves nothing less than that. Dwyane Wade is slowly but surely declining and Chris Bosh is just Bosh lol. Although I can see LeBron opt out and re-sign for a 5 year/$120 million deal, why would Wade and Bosh opt out of a year that will pay them their highest salary ever from this point on?

In theory this could work, but I just don't see these chips falling into place.

Keep in mind however unrealistic as it sounds, Lakers will definitely make an offer for James/Anthony(given if they opt out of course) so that could possibly(not probably) entice players around the league and we all know LA is a bigger destination with all due respect to Miami.

Bostonjorge
07-22-2013, 10:38 PM
When lebron leaves next year they can add 2 players who will take paycuts.

Verbal Christ
07-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Neither Bosh or Wade deserve max deals based on perfomance anyways (my opinion obviously). Max out LBJ, those two will take less to stick around, and they go get Melo or someone of that ilk.

LA fans collectively claim that the aforementioned team wont have the heart, or character to win championships, and that the Lakers will always be the Lakers and they'll win a championship before LBJ or Dwight, and that LA is such an awesome place to play, anybody would want to play there, and Kobe,Kobe,Kobe!,and,and,and ..... ad nauseum.

Jtirado16
07-22-2013, 10:53 PM
They will not get 7-9 million per year.. That's over a 10million paycut lol. This won't happen for the heat. Will be interesting to see what they do tho

koreancabbage
07-22-2013, 10:58 PM
pretty much a delusional fan talking out of his/her *** and an entire speculation thread that should be shut down.

odiz
07-22-2013, 11:22 PM

The article states the numbers. They will have around $50 million to spend. I could see Bosh/Wade/Lebron all resigning for $10-$15 mil a year. That leaves them maybe $10-$15 mil per year to spend on another star. Players will definitely take less to play in Miami with that team.

The Flash
07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
The article states the numbers. They will have around $50 million to spend. I could see Bosh/Wade/Lebron all resigning for $10-$15 mil a year. That leaves them maybe $10-$15 mil per year to spend on another star. Players will definitely take less to play in Miami with that team.

This!

BKLYNpigeon
07-22-2013, 11:47 PM
I expect Wade to have a salary under 10 million after the 2014 season. As for Bosh, hes ballpark is around 10-12 mill. Pat Riley knows what he's doing.

so F-ing stupid... why would Bosh opt out, when he's getting 20 million dollars? who in the NBA is willing to take 50% less? In the NBA its all about money, then championships. your whole argument is pure speculation and psycho analysis.

LegendsNvrDie23
07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Lebron will need as much help as he can get in these upcoming years. He was one shot away from being 1-3 in the finals, despite having one of the best teams of all time.

Utd7
07-22-2013, 11:58 PM
I see Miami as a bigger threat in 2016 when Durant is a free agent and they will have cap space.

VendettaRed07
07-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Bosh/Wade are NOT going to opt out. Lebron totally will. No reason for the other two to do that.

They will probably however replace a star, either Wade or Bosh will be gone imo.

rockbottom2010
07-23-2013, 03:33 AM
so F-ing stupid... why would Bosh opt out, when he's getting 20 million dollars? who in the NBA is willing to take 50% less? In the NBA its all about money, then championships. your whole argument is pure speculation and psycho analysis.

Do you really it think its all about the money? Have you heard of endorsements? Thats why Lebron James makes 40 mil/year out of endorsements alone. Do you ever remember year of 2010? or when Dwight Howard signed with the Houston? Bosh will listen to Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Pat Riley, and Mickey Arison ,esp. Lebron James and Pat Riley..Bosh is the softest guy in the Big 3 and he will listen to them. Secondly, never understand estimate Pat Riley ;hes a winner as a Player, Coach, and GM. ENOUGH SAID!

RiceOnTheRun
07-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Very unlikely.

Bron is going to get paid.

Bron already makes around 40m a year including endorsements. He's not stupid with his money either, so I'm sure he's well invested with that. At this point, I'm pretty sure he'd rather go for a paycut than make a few extra million. His thirst to catch up to Jordan most likely outweighs his greed.

There's plenty of ringless semi-stars out there who would probably be glad to take a paycut for a chance at a ring. Like some other people said, it probably won't be a superstar but a "star" is totally possible.

Bostonjorge
07-23-2013, 04:49 AM
They all opt out and sign for 7 mill a year each. Then sign kobe to a max deal. Kobe can carry them to not 3 not 4 not 5........

RiceOnTheRun
07-23-2013, 04:50 AM
pretty much a delusional fan talking out of his/her *** and an entire speculation thread that should be shut down.

Whoa. Delusional fans talking about signing big free agents!

Now where have we ever seen that before?

Kevj77
07-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Bosh/Wade are NOT going to opt out. Lebron totally will. No reason for the other two to do that.

They will probably however replace a star, either Wade or Bosh will be gone imo.This is what will most likely happen. Lebron will opt out only to re-sign in Miami for max money not to take a paycut. Bosh and Wade won't opt out to take less.

Miami will look to make a trade.

jp611
07-23-2013, 07:18 AM

ldawg
07-23-2013, 07:59 AM
The NBA has suckered players to taking pay cuts. The lockout was a success for owners. Players are given in.

Bulls_fan90
07-23-2013, 08:17 AM
I lol'd. Best case scenario for the Heat is they keep LeBron. Anyway, Heat forum hurr durr

rocketfuel
07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Wonder who the 4th star could be?

Also, say Oden miraculously is able to stay healthy and make a big comeback with the Heat....they'd have a very stacked team.

2-ONE-5
07-23-2013, 12:01 PM
wait so was that whole not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5 spew about payers he needs to join him to win rings?

MiamiLoyal926
07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
What everyone fails to realize is that the Miami Heat have the flexibility to do whatever that summer. If wade, bosh, and Lebron want to refortify their dynasty, they will take paycuts, if they simply want more money, they can opt in or opt out and re-up.

We already have the big three and the flexibility to potentially get a 4th high impact player. The Lakers essentially have to lure Lebron away from a situation that can be the same or potentially be better. Why would Lebron jump teams to go to a similar situation? It is more likely that he stays and uses the heats flexibility to convince his teammates and FAs to join him in Miami for slightly less to continue the dynasty.

Pat Riley made sure to give his team the flexibility to stay competitive even as other teams get better. He made sure to be a top player in 2014! Come to terms with it people, the reality is that the Heat are very well positioned to keep Lebron.

Cal827
07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Miami 2014 Roster

Irving-Bradley-Chalmers
Wade-Kobe-Allen
Lebron-Carmelo-Gay
Bosh-Zbo-Gasol
Cousins-Gortat-Drummond

MiamiLoyal926
07-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Miami 2014 Roster

Irving-Bradley-Chalmers
Wade-Kobe-Allen
Lebron-Carmelo-Gay
Bosh-Zbo-Gasol
Cousins-Gortat-Drummond

These are the type of posts that really provide a lack of quality discussion to the forum. Some turn to sarcasm and humor to blind themselves of the actual possibility. Rather than provide solid evidence or reasoning why to disbelieve this possibility, instead, you post this absurdly bogus lineup. Be real and consider the reality of this article.

rockbottom2010
07-23-2013, 05:33 PM
These are the type of posts that really provide a lack of quality discussion to the forum. Some turn to sarcasm and humor to blind themselves of the actual possibility. Rather than provide solid evidence or reasoning why to disbelieve this possibility, instead, you post this absurdly bogus lineup. Be real and consider the reality of this article.

Many people are hating this because of the success of the Miami Heat. This success could go on for a long time. My trump could be either John Wall or Demarcus Cousins. It's going to be interesting to see what Pat Riley does. As we speak. Oden is speaking to Spoelstra at the moment.

justinnum1
07-23-2013, 06:32 PM

They will probably however replace a star, either Wade or Bosh will be gone imo.

Of course they will opt out, only a fool would pass on more guaranteed years and money.

Riley has Miami set for a while :cool:

L8kers4life
07-23-2013, 06:51 PM
QUOTE=justinnum1;26743484]Of course they will opt out, only a fool would pass on more guaranteed years and money.

Riley has Miami set for a while :cool:[/QUOTE]

Wow, talk about a blind Homer, there is no chance that Bosh or D wade will opt out, if they did, they would not see any where near the money they are going to get next year. The Way Bosh is playing lately, by the time next year comes around, Bosh may only be able to get 10 million at the most. And Wade would be crazy to opt out of 20 million, he is always injured and has become very inconsistant as of late, neither will opt out. Lebron will opt out, but he will just sign for the Max with Miami.

L8kers4life
07-23-2013, 06:56 PM
What everyone fails to realize is that the Miami Heat have the flexibility to do whatever that summer. If wade, bosh, and Lebron want to refortify their dynasty, they will take paycuts, if they simply want more money, they can opt in or opt out and re-up.

We already have the big three and the flexibility to potentially get a 4th high impact player. The Lakers essentially have to lure Lebron away from a situation that can be the same or potentially be better. Why would Lebron jump teams to go to a similar situation? It is more likely that he stays and uses the heats flexibility to convince his teammates and FAs to join him in Miami for slightly less to continue the dynasty.

Pat Riley made sure to give his team the flexibility to stay competitive even as other teams get better. He made sure to be a top player in 2014! Come to terms with it people, the reality is that the Heat are very well positioned to keep Lebron.

If they want more money, it wont be coming with Miami, I do believe that Lebron will stay in Miami, but the league is catching up to the Heat, they were lucky to come away with a championship this year, in order for Miami to restock, they must let either Bosh or Wade go and gather some new talent. Lebron can win with them, but it is going to be very difficult this next year to do so, considering health, consistency and the size in there front court.

koreancabbage
07-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Many people are hating this because of the success of the Miami Heat. This success could go on for a long time. My trump could be either John Wall or Demarcus Cousins. It's going to be interesting to see what Pat Riley does. As we speak. Oden is speaking to Spoelstra at the moment.

no, we're just being reasonable. They aren't going to add a 4th star and expect Bosh and Wade to take a discount with Lebron taking the max AND have a good bench role players.

I expect they will just rotate b/w role players over the next few years and keep the core pretty much intact making more or less the same money.

i like the Heat but they are in a conundrum when it comes to 2014.

SportsFanatic10
07-23-2013, 07:25 PM
they won't add another star unless something happens with bosh. if the big 3 do take less it would likely only amount to enough to possibly add a full mle type player like a decent center or something.

MiamiLoyal926
07-23-2013, 07:46 PM
no, we're just being reasonable. They aren't going to add a 4th star and expect Bosh and Wade to take a discount with Lebron taking the max AND have a good bench role players.

I expect they will just rotate b/w role players over the next few years and keep the core pretty much intact making more or less the same money.

How are they at a conundrum? Should the big 3 choose to want more primed players around them(not necessarily all stars or stars), the big three can minimize their contracts while signing for an additional 2 years. They prolong their income while still getting a decent amount and another high caliber player. The Heat are exactly where they want to be, at a place were they can meet the big three's needs. We have flexibility to withstand the lakers' pitches to Lebron. That doesn't sound like a conundrum to me?

rockbottom2010
07-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Everybody is saying that hes going to end up having the max money. Lebron James is only 28 and his next contract will be similar to his previous. So it doesn't matter how he gets it. Money is never a big issue for Lebron James. If that were the case, he should have stayed in Cleveland.

KNAN
07-23-2013, 07:56 PM
You can spend as much money on a team as you want but it doesn't guarantee you anything. Teams are still going to fight year in and year out. If they supposedly get this so called 4th Star in 2014... who cares! I am not going to change who I cheer for just because one team is buying players who are labeled as a star.

Bostonjorge
07-24-2013, 12:05 AM
If lebron opts out and bosh and wade opt in then Miami is not getting no one while lebron leaves.

ATX
07-24-2013, 12:29 AM
If lebron opts out and bosh and wade opt in then Miami is not getting no one while lebron leaves.

Thank you for this grammatical masterpiece.

tr3ymill3r
07-24-2013, 12:32 AM
This site has made a 180 degree turn since the decision. Full of idiots who play 2K with force trades on and live on the ESPN trade machine.

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 12:55 AM
This site has made a 180 degree turn since the decision. Full of idiots who play 2K with force trades on and live on the ESPN trade machine.

So insightful... Thank you!

So, are you negating to see the flexibility and possibility of such an outcome? The fact is that perhaps a Gortat or similar player could be had as a fourth piece to the equation. Perhaps not a Carmelo, but definitely and impact player. Tone done the negativity so that you may have the opportunity to see all possible outcomes, not just your ideal outcome.

Kyben36
07-24-2013, 01:01 AM
if this was to happen im sorry heat fans but it would kill the nba. its already sickening to me to see teams think that they can buy a championship with no ability to grow as a franchise. I have tons of respect for a team like the thunder who were able to put that team together through the draft. but if this is what the nba comes to, im sorry but I will no longer watch.

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 01:05 AM

Must have those 2% tinted hater shades on because you can't see the actual possibility of the Miami Heat's salary cap situation.

Kyben36
07-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Must have those 2% tinted hater shades on because you can't see the actual possibility of the Miami Heat's salary cap situation.

I see the potential for it Miamiloyal, however, do you see the problems with it, with the new salary tax in place, its no longer as simple as pay a dolar for every $. but its almost tripled, especaily if you talk about what is talked about in the original post, all 3 of the big 3 opt out, they sign some marque free agent or two, such as Melo and Gortat, and the Resign all the players that they have rights too. your talking about 120 ( 60 mil of the big 3 resigning, and 60 mil of what they currently have on cap) mil and thats not including tax. its funny how ignorant fans can be when it comes to this stuff.

you would be talking about a team spending over 200 mil a year on players.

and like I said in my previous post, this would be an absolute travasty to the nba. if the league did not step in and do something, I think at least 80-90 % of fans would just not watch. then you will have some other superteam form and you will have two super teams battle it out every year and not have any compitition for the small market teams. the whole point of the new cba was to make the league more competitive, not allow a team to literaly buy every player they want and esentialy buy a championship

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 01:15 AM
if this was to happen im sorry heat fans but it would kill the nba. its already sickening to me to see teams think that they can buy a championship with no ability to grow as a franchise. I have tons of respect for a team like the thunder who were able to put that team together through the draft. but if this is what the nba comes to, im sorry but I will no longer watch.

Why is it a forgone conclusion that the "right" way to build a franchise is through the draft? Do those teams not sign free agents then? All their players were strictly drafted by said team?

Just as some teams are good at drafting, others are able to trade well, and others are able to lure free agents. All viable ways of building teams.

It is sad that building through free agency is frowned upon as if signing a free agent was some sort of illegal transaction. Is it not a "free" agents right to sign where he pleases and for however much he chooses?

What is sad to me is this whole notion of "tanking" to build through the draft. Those actions "kill" the nba.

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 01:25 AM
I see the potential for it Miamiloyal, however, do you see the problems with it, with the new salary tax in place, its no longer as simple as pay a dolar for every $. but its almost tripled, especaily if you talk about what is talked about in the original post, all 3 of the big 3 opt out, they sign some marque free agent or two, such as Melo and Gortat, and the Resign all the players that they have rights too. your talking about 120 ( 60 mil of the big 3 resigning, and 60 mil of what they currently have on cap) mil and thats not including tax. its funny how ignorant fans can be when it comes to this stuff.

and like I said in my previous post, this would be an absolute travasty to the nba. if the league did not step in and do something, I think at least 80-90 % of fans would just not watch. then you will have some other superteam form and you will have two super teams battle it out every year and not have any compitition for the small market teams. the whole point of the new cba was to make the league more competitive, not allow a team to literaly buy every player they want and esentialy buy a championship

I think you may have misunderstood some fellow posters as no one with the right mind has alluded to keeping the big 3 plus melo and Gortat?

What has been alluded to is the notion of the big three restructuring their contracts in which they now guarantee themselves a longer payday and perhaps also resulting in minor pay cuts. Perhaps enough pay cuts to get the heat under the luxury tax and open up the full mle which could lure in a player like Gortat. Best case scenario, they can take hefty pay cuts and lure a bigger free agent. The idea is the flexibility to make moves in 2014 as they and the players see fit.

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 01:39 AM

Also, their are rules in place that prevent such mentioned transactions. A team has cap holds for free agents and in order to alleviate that space, their rights must be renounced. In other words, we could only sign players with the available cap space after the big three's holds, but if they first sign for less than their holds, that would open up the desired space to sign another high impact player. The more they cut, the better caliber player we could sign. If all else fails, we could always get the salary into full mid level exception range (over 58 mil) and use the 5.2ish mil to lure a free agent.

HeatVsHate
07-24-2013, 02:30 AM
They just need 1 quality BIG, not necessarily another superstar or even star, 2014 will be more kind to the heats salary cap because they already know the formula to win, and can only add to that not subtract.

CubsBullsBucs
07-24-2013, 03:06 AM
i have said this from day one when the big 3 came together and ill say it again; buying a championship isnt fun to me. i am not bitter. i love ray allen and i know miami is great. but i dont see the fun of getting 1/4 of the olympic team USA to come together and roll over everyone. i dont see the fun of expecting a championship. i dont see the fun in playing not to lose rather than playing to win. every game its a story if the lose. the beauty of sports is the unpredictability and excitement. when the best player in the world leaves his hometown to join another star that has already been there and done that, i cant see the fun. this isnt even mentioning how lousy miami fans are, as was shown by leaving a FINALS GAME! not saying every single fan is lousy, but the majority of them are. i think everyone would agree that a dynasty of wade, chalmers, haslem, bosh, etc would have been the best story in sports. throw in lebron, and it becomes a circus act. when d rose inspires a city and brings championships back to chicago, you literally cant beat that. in sum, the thought of adding a 4th star is insane. they already made the NBA very boring in many peoples eyes. the game is great because we watch the best play the best, not the best joining the best. i could easily see miami winning the next 2 or 3 years. however, i dont see any fun in that. i dont see any excitement in that. whether you are a heat fan or not, the heat are dulling the NBA and making fans leave. the best stories are the underdogs. the best stories are the teams that come out of nowhere. if atlanta signs lebron, melo and ray allen next summer to join al horford and company, and they end up winning 5 championships in a row, nobody is going to say they were one of those legendary teams. they were the players that pussied out and took the easy route.

raiderposting
07-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Everybody is saying that hes going to end up having the max money. Lebron James is only 28 and his next contract will be similar to his previous. So it doesn't matter how he gets it. Money is never a big issue for Lebron James. If that were the case, he should have stayed in Cleveland.

Not really hes gonna get 20+ a year

naps
07-24-2013, 03:39 AM
LOL at so many insecure fans here already complaining about it while it's far from happening. What does buying mean? Should the teams not be allowed to trade and sign free agents? Who said drafting is the only way to build a team? Don't be mad just because your team is not run through the most dynamic brain in the business.

Kevj77
07-24-2013, 03:46 AM
LOL at so many insecure fans here already complaining about it while it's far from happening. What does buying mean? Should the teams not be allowed to trade and sign free agents? Who said drafting is the only way to build a team? Don't be mad just because your team is not run through the most dynamic brain in the business.Of course a team should be allowed to build by any means, but getting a 4th star by Wade/Lebron/Bosh taking paycuts is delusional.

rockbottom2010
07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Not really hes gonna get 20+ a year

Dude did you forget, before he left in 2010, he would have easily got more money with the Cavaliers. The reason why he left the cavaliers is because of Championships. When the godfather of the NBA is runnin' the show, you do not underestimate him.

SteBO
07-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Dude did you forget, before he left in 2010, he would have easily got more money with the Cavaliers. The reason why he left the cavaliers is because of Championships. When the godfather of the NBA is runnin' the show, you do not underestimate him.
Completely different set of circumstances. No doubt Pat Riley is a huge factor, but LeBron was very desperate for a ring with the expectations placed on him then. With 2 rings in his back pocket, he's well within his right to go for a HUGE payday with Miami. If he stays here, I'm expecting the MAX deal.

DitchDat
07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Miami 2014 Roster

Irving-Bradley-Chalmers
Wade-Kobe-Allen
Lebron-Carmelo-Gay
Bosh-Zbo-Gasol
Cousins-Gortat-Drummond

My God.

Pacerlive
07-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Let me inject some reality to the thread article. The Heat would have to have a huge amount of dominoes to fall in place to even add another star.

Chalmers, Allen, Battier would have to be gone since their cap holds wouldn't allow another star to be added so that leaves you with Cole as your starting pg. Let me say thats a down grade no matter how you look at it.

Then you would need Haslem, Joel and Anderson to take their PO knowing they could not be resigned to their current deal.

I find it hard to believe that all of these dominoes could fall into place because it requires role palyers to also take paycuts.

Now you could use the MLE to resign one or two guys but really the roster would be devoid of a lot of proven veteran guys that the HEat now have and the pay cut would have to huge for Lebron, Wade, Bosh but despite that I don't see the smaller dominoes falling into place in order for the 4th star to fall into place.

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Let me inject some reality to the thread article. The Heat would have to have a huge amount of dominoes to fall in place to even add another star.

Chalmers, Allen, Battier would have to be gone since their cap holds wouldn't allow another star to be added so that leaves you with Cole as your starting pg. Let me say thats a down grade no matter how you look at it.

Then you would need Haslem, Joel and Anderson to take their PO knowing they could not be resigned to their current deal.

I find it hard to believe that all of these dominoes could fall into place because it requires role palyers to also take paycuts.

Now you could use the MLE to resign one or two guys but really the roster would be devoid of a lot of proven veteran guys that the HEat now have and the pay cut would have to huge for Lebron, Wade, Bosh but despite that I don't see the smaller dominoes falling into place in order for the 4th star to fall into place.

This provides the type of in-depth and quality discussion I was alluding to. You are right that certain dominoes would have to fall... But that is the beauty of 2014. The Heat have the possibility to stay almost nearly in tact or swing in a direction where changes to salaries can result in another quality player. Thus why I have used the words "possibilities" and "flexibility" over and over again.

Pacerlive
07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
This provides the type of in-depth and quality discussion I was alluding to. You are right that certain dominoes would have to fall... But that is the beauty of 2014. The Heat have the possibility to stay almost nearly in tact or swing in a direction where changes to salaries can result in another quality player. Thus why I have used the words "possibilities" and "flexibility" over and over again.

Quality player is a broad term so let me define it in my words. I would say in light of this article it would be a all star caliber player. Not a former all star like Ray Allen but a Chris Bosh type of all star. So can you add a guy like that if the big three all opt out and resign? IMO I don't think so since that pay cut to the big three would have around 5 million each/year and it would also require the 4th all star to take a big pay cut.

Chris Bosh to me is the hang up in all this and I can't see a team trading for a player like him. I also think his agent would point out that the likelihood of him getting another 20 million dollar/year payday with another team is unlikely.

So in light of this I think the only guys you could realistically add is a guy like Pau Gasol. The other lesser big guys would be Okafor or Gortat. Bogut to me is highly unlikely and really there are no other notable guys that will be available unless you smoke crack and think Melo is coming to town.

bstnfn34
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
PIPE DREAM :laugh::sigh:

MiamiLoyal926
07-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Quality player is a broad term so let me define it in my words. I would say in light of this article it would be a all star caliber player. Not a former all star like Ray Allen but a Chris Bosh type of all star. So can you add a guy like that if the big three all opt out and resign? IMO I don't think so since that pay cut to the big three would have around 5 million each/year and it would also require the 4th all star to take a big pay cut.

Chris Bosh to me is the hang up in all this and I can't see a team trading for a player like him. I also think his agent would point out that the likelihood of him getting another 20 million dollar/year payday with another team is unlikely.

So in light of this I think the only guys you could realistically add is a guy like Pau Gasol. The other lesser big guys would be Okafor or Gortat. Bogut to me is highly unlikely and really there are no other notable guys that will be available unless you smoke crack and think Melo is coming to town.

Quality, as I have mentioned before, is a Gortat type player.Define it as you please, but not once have I alluded to an all star being had. If the author has alluded to that, it is a stretch. One thing is for sure, every article has to be approached with caution. It is our job as readers to read and analyze and decipher what is plausible and what is not. There is a grain of truth in this article and it is the ability to make moves in 2014. Should the players choose to take larger pay cuts, then it starts opening up doors to higher quality players. Point being is that these options ARE possible and provide the HEAT the possibilities to make a move at a quality player in its broadest term (as it all depends on the big three's pay cuts and role players).

Argue it and analyze it as much as you want, but the truth remains that all these scenarios are possibilities and provide flexibility to the Heat.

mdm692
07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
In a perfect world for Miami Lebron gets a max extension and both Wade and Bosh opt out and take pay cuts.

Pacerlive
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Quality, as I have mentioned before, is a Gortat type player.Define it as you please, but not once have I alluded to an all star being had. If the author has alluded to that, it is a stretch. One thing is for sure, every article has to be approached with caution. It is our job as readers to read and analyze and decipher what is plausible and what is not. There is a grain of truth in this article and it is the ability to make moves in 2014. Should the players choose to take larger pay cuts, then it starts opening up doors to higher quality players. Point being is that these options ARE possible and provide the HEAT the possibilities to make a move at a quality player in its broadest term (as it all depends on the big three's pay cuts and role players).

Argue it and analyze it as much as you want, but the truth remains that all these scenarios are possibilities and provide flexibility to the Heat.

Right so is Gortat worth Ray Allen and Mario Chalmers or Shane Battier. IT will basically cost you 2 out of the 3 IMO since the cap holds will limit the signings of 4th (Gortat).