PDA

View Full Version : 76ers Head Coaching Vacancy a Joke?

JasonJohnHorn
07-22-2013, 01:09 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=259265
Saw this in the news feed and didn't see a thread about it. Barkley says it's a joke that they don't have a head coach. I'm not so sure.

I see a lot of teams rush to pick up a coach when they don't need to. The Nets didn't rush this year when they let go of Avery Johnson. There were a couple of people they could have plugged in, but they waited (though I'm not sure bringing in a rookie coach is a good idea).

The Lakers on the other hand rushed and now they paid the price as the choice they made seems to have factored huge in Dwight leaving (if we believe rumours).

I think the 76ers taking their time to got through candidates is a good idea. See what personal they pick up in the off season and what coaches might have in mind for their roster, sit back and put some thought into it.

Now, maybe they are just indecisive? Who knows? But I think Sir Charles is jumping the gun. Have patience.

What are your thoughts? Are the 76ers a joke? Or is taking their time with this a good idea? And is Charles just stirring the pot because he wants the job? Or rather, the GM job.

sunsfan88
07-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Wait, the 76ers still don't have a HC?

LMAO their tanking so hard, Silver/Stern better fine them for making it this obvious. Maybe take away their draft picks for 2014 draft as punishment.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went into the season without a HC and just made the players run whatever they want.

SeoulBeatz
07-22-2013, 01:41 AM
This is just another sign that this team is doing everything in its power to lose.

I feel like whoever they pick will only stick around for a year (I'm hearing rumblings of Michael Curry) and they'll scrap him for a new coach after the 2014 draft (when this team should look a bit different).

SMH!
07-22-2013, 01:47 AM
#Tankadelphia

FriedTofuz
07-22-2013, 01:48 AM
tankadelphia sould be fined by the league if they really make it blatant for tanking.. Or the nba should just make all lottery odds even..

Knowledge
07-22-2013, 01:54 AM
The level of stupidity in this thread is/will be priceless. Orlando didn't have a coach until the 28th of July last year.

The fact that he can't remember what happened last year tells you all you need to know about Chuck. He was a great player, but as a analysis, he is purely entertainment.

sunsfan88
07-22-2013, 02:00 AM
The level of stupidity in this thread is/will be priceless. Orlando didn't have a coach until the 28th of July last year.

The fact that he can't remember what happened last year tells you all you need to know about Chuck. He was a great player, but as a analysis, he is purely entertainment.
Yea and how did Orlando do again? Oh yea that's right, worst record in the NBA.

Philly is clearly tanking here and needs to face punishment for making it this damn obvious.

Knowledge
07-22-2013, 02:05 AM

Philly is clearly tanking here and needs to face punishment for making it this damn obvious.

Yea, waiting to hire the coach is what lost them all those games. Not Dwight Howard forcing his way out of town. :rolleyes:

We were bad last year, we aren't going to be good this year either. You can call it tanking, but we aren't going to be sitting guys, while trying to lose. We are a really young/bad team.

sunsfan88
07-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Yea, waiting to hire the coach is what lost them all those games. Not Dwight Howard forcing his way out of town. :rolleyes:

We were bad last year, we aren't going to be good this year either. You can call it tanking, but we aren't going to be sitting guys, while trying to lose. We are a really young/bad team.
New coaches need some time to build rapport with the staff and organaization as Barkley said. They can't just come in and then day after gain credibility.

Look at the Suns for example. There's no doubt that we will be tanking next season but look at how we're not making it obvious. Suns hired Hornacek, made him the summer league HC to give him some experience and time with the players to get to know them better. And Hornacek has probably gone over the roster with our new GM a dozen times at least since being hired. All these kinds of things help.

First trading their best player for a rookie who won't play for most of the season. Then this? Philly is tanking and won't have to sit players, they will lose cause of the moves their FO is making.

And Orlando won't be that bad this year.

Knowledge
07-22-2013, 02:26 AM
New coaches need some time to build rapport with the staff and organaization as Barkley said. They can't just come in and then day after gain credibility.

Look at the Suns for example. There's no doubt that we will be tanking next season but look at how we're not making it obvious. Suns hired Hornacek, made him the summer league HC to give him some experience and time with the players to get to know them better. And Hornacek has probably gone over the roster with our new GM a dozen times at least since being hired. All these kinds of things help.

First trading their best player for a rookie who won't play for most of the season. Then this? Philly is tanking and won't have to sit players, they will lose cause of the moves their FO is making.

And Orlando won't be that bad this year.

So are you saying that Orlando lost last year because the coach didn't build a rapport with his players?

You realize that after SL the coaches and players don't do anything again until training camp. TC doesn't start until Oct.1, I'm sure that is enough time for the GM and future coach to talk about the roster and do whatever it is they need to do.

Lastly, we won 34 games last year, its not like we blew up a champion. We traded a young all star PG, who some feel is overrated, for a young center with a lot of talent/potential. That doesn't come cheap. We tried to trade other players and keep Jrue, but NO wanted him. Nothing we could do unless you are telling us to keep a 34 win team in tact?

And yes, Orlando will still not be very good.

mgjohnson7851
07-22-2013, 02:34 AM
Flip flip flipidelphia

bholly
07-22-2013, 02:47 AM
As Knowledge said, I don't think it makes much of a difference given summer league is already over. Could wait another month or more and it wouldn't matter in any serious way. Hell, teams change coaches mid-season all the time, it's no biggie - definitely nothing close to serious enough to force a quick decision over the right one.

I also find 'they should be punished for tanking' hilarious. As if making moves based on the future rather than the present is against the rules. Nobody's throwing games, they aren't intentionally trying to get bad players or anything. They made one trade (for a guy who was expected by many to go #1 and a future pick), and haven't hired a coach yet. That's it. Plenty of teams have been just as blatant - does nobody remember GSW playing to keep their pick two years ago? How is the Sixers trade worse than Boston's? A punishment at this point would be absolutely beyond belief.

Also, for what it's worth, the theory going around is that a lot of what they're doing (interview guy after guy after guy) is partly about gathering info on other teams rather than actually trying to find a coach. There are a few who think they've already got their guy, or maybe got it narrowed down to a few, and are just going through the process to get info. Dunno whether that's true, but it's definitely possible.

More-Than-Most
07-22-2013, 03:47 AM

Punishment for being smart and doing exactly what others have done for years? Hell Thunder/Bobcats/Cavs/Hornets and on down the list should also be punished. Silly.

PhillyFaninLA
07-22-2013, 04:26 AM
This is just another sign that this team is doing everything in its power to lose.

I feel like whoever they pick will only stick around for a year (I'm hearing rumblings of Michael Curry) and they'll scrap him for a new coach after the 2014 draft (when this team should look a bit different).

Based off of everything I've read, heard, and personally think the above it exactly what I think.

They play there cards right and get luck they end up with a top 3 pick, Noels, Carter-Williams, possibly a pick 6 - 10 from the Holiday deal (with luck), $40 million or so in cap space (in a good free agent year), and the ability to sign best coach available.

dalton749
07-22-2013, 07:17 AM
no way I didn't know theyre still hiring
anyone know how I can apply I want to drive their tank off a cliff

MonroeFAN
07-22-2013, 01:31 PM
That team is going to be historically bad this season (worse than the record breaking bobcats IMO).

C_Mund
07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Flip flip flipidelphia

That's all I could think about.....

The Ooh Child
07-22-2013, 01:59 PM
MCW
James Anderson
Evan Turner
Thad Young
Spencer Hawes

/championship

2-ONE-5
07-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Collins staff is under contract for this year that has played a role as well. There is no rush what so ever to hire a coach.

Burkey3472
07-22-2013, 08:49 PM
It doesn't matter if they hired a head coach a month ago, this team is still going to struggle. I have a hard time believing that it would make that big of a difference anyway.

Bruins2012
07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Players in the NBA are too coachable and coaches in the NBA are too important to team success;

Apparently said by no one recently at all in the NBA.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Good thing Collins resigned/was forced to resign from the position. He would've hated to play for a tanking team.

Bruins2012
07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
It doesn't matter if they hired a head coach a month ago, this team is still going to struggle. I have a hard time believing that it would make that big of a difference anyway.

Just wait til training camp, why waste the $$.