PDA

View Full Version : How would you improve the All Star Weekend?

Goose17
07-20-2013, 10:55 AM
The All Star game in the last two years hasn't been too bad, but there's still a significant lack of competitiveness. As for the rest of the weekend? It's a mixed bag.

So how would you improve it?

My suggestions would be;

Dunk Contest

Personally I feel this needs a drastic upheaval. First step is to get the "stars" involved, how do you do that? Guys like Westbrook don't want to risk being humiliated by some role player.

I have two suggestions;

- Put up a cash prize. Something big enough to entice the max contract guys, thinking a cool million should do the trick.

- Work it into the contract somehow. Something along the lines of "Each conference champion from the previous season must enter a player into one of the All Star events; 3 point, dunk, skills challenge" etc.

The latter seems unlikely as it would have to go through the directors and the players union would have to sign off on it, I find that far fetched. So I'm going to go with the first idea. The million could be put up by the league, or a sponsor, or both. If they (League and a Sponsor - sprite?) each put up $500,000 and give half of the Mil to the winner and the other half to his favorite charity, it could buy some good will with the public as well.

Next step, change the voting. The fan voting thing is stupid, but I can understand what they're trying to do. So have both, judges AND fan voting. This way if the judges are being biased the fans voting will balance it out and vice versa.

How it would work; You have three judges, each judge scores the dunk, you then take an average of the judges score and fans. Let's say the judges average was 8.9 and the fan voting average was 10. The final score for that dunk would be 9.4 (average of the two).

Side note; Since we're just dreaming here (essentially) I have a suggestion that's a little more "out there" Get the sponsor, whoever it may be (probably Sprite) to host a dunk contest for non-NBA athletes during the off-season. The winner of this contest gets to compete in the dunk contest at the All Star game (and yes, gets to compete for the cash).

All Star Game

This needs to be made more competitive. I have some ideas, although I'm not sold on any of them tbh lol.

- Money. Money always makes people compete. Again, put up a cash prize that would be split between the players and the coach of the winning team. Big issue here is because it's being split, it would need to be a very substantial amount of money. On top of that you would need to donate to charity as well because nobody is going to sit and cheer on Kobe Bryant so he can become even richer than he already is.

- Guilt Trip. Each team represents a charity, the winning teams charity receives X donation, the losing teams charity receives a lesser donation (I.E 1 mil to the winnners charity, 100k to the losers).

- Stop making it an exhibition game. How? The winning conference gets the home court advantage in the NBA Finals. So if the West wins the All Star game and it's Miami - OKC in the final, OKC receives the HCA, irregardless of W/L record. Problem is this makes the regular season even more pointless. You could go undefeated the entire season but not have HCA because the other conference won the All Star game? Crazy.

- Draft picks. Not entirely sure on how this would work, but you could definitely do something involving draft picks. Maybe something along the lines of the following; Reserve a pick (i.e Pick #5 in the first round) every year for a separate lottery. The draft runs as normal, like every year, but the fifth pick in the first round is left out of the initial lottery/draft process. After the initial lottery is done and everyone has their picks, you have the "All Star Lottery" where all the teams from the winning conference are put into a separate lottery to see who gets the number #5 pick. In the All Star lottery, every team has the same chance of winning, regardless of their record. So for example, let's say the West win the All Star game. Any team, from Sacramento to OKC could end up with the 5th pick and they all have the exact same odds. All the teams want to win, most players will prioritize a championship everything else, giving your team a chance at getting a high pick by having your conference win the All Star game would be decent incentive.

Obviously it wouldn't have to be the fifth pick^ it could be the 10th or 15th or 20th or whatever. But the general concept remains the same.

Leftcoast_yg
07-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Set home court advantage for the nba finals like they do in baseball, the conference that wins the all star game get home court advantage in the finals. no more 3 point shots by centers and lame show boating.

As far as it affecting the regular season records to have hca, it wont because you still will use it for the first 3 rounds of the playoffs which you need to get through to even make it to the finals.

farren.louis
07-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I have 2 great ideas .. The All-Star weekend is played out, but I wont post my ideas on the internet for someone to take them. As far as playoff seeding goes whoever wins the season series wins home court in the playoffs . That way the nba has playoff games during the regular season.

Hellcrooner
07-20-2013, 11:33 AM
No dunk contest.
No abilities contest.
No 3p shooting contest.

make it a two day semifinals and finals competition with 4 teams.

- Team usa.
-All Ncaa team.
- Team Nba foreigners.
- All non-nba ( fiba, china south america) World team

RiceOnTheRun
07-20-2013, 11:36 AM
The draft pick idea is no, just no.

I think a King of the Court type tournament could be a cool idea. Like, it would be a group of 8 or so guys, 1 on 1 to 10 points (counting a basket as 2 points, and a 3 as 3) and the winner stays on the court while the loser leaves to the end of the rotation. The reigning MVP and the winner of last year would be the first two on the court and the others would just be selected by fan voting. Winner is selected by whoever plays in the most rounds. It would probably be really big with casual fans and create some interesting headlines as well. We'd see some dream hypothetical match ups which would otherwise never happen. Who wouldn't want to see some Lebron vs Kobe or Westbrook vs Rose.

Goose17
07-20-2013, 11:42 AM
The draft pick idea is no, just no.

I think a King of the Court type tournament could be a cool idea. Like, it would be a group of 8 or so guys, 1 on 1 to 10 points (counting a basket as 2 points, and a 3 as 3) and the winner stays on the court while the loser leaves to the end of the rotation. The reigning MVP and the winner of last year would be the first two on the court and the others would just be selected by fan voting. Winner is selected by whoever plays in the most rounds. It would probably be really big with casual fans and create some interesting headlines as well. We'd see some dream hypothetical match ups which would otherwise never happen. Who wouldn't want to see some Lebron vs Kobe or Westbrook vs Rose.

How would you convince star player to play one on one? They're not going to risk getting embarrassed for an exhibition game. Incentives are needed.

RipCity32
07-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Stop letting the fans vote in players that don't deserve it.

smith&wesson
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Add 1 on 1 , 2on 2 pick up games.

smith&wesson
07-20-2013, 12:29 PM

+1

Hellcrooner
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Live Burrito eating Contest.

Im putting my money on Eddie Curry!!!

I Rock Shaqs
07-20-2013, 12:33 PM
It would be pretty cool if they held like a major tournament in the city the All star Weekend is happening for all the people in that city to get to play like Lebron or something in a 1 on 1.

Like the winner or something gets to play against their home town all star or an All star of their choosing.

Jemikz9Clutch
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
No dunk contest.
No abilities contest.
No 3p shooting contest.

make it a two day semifinals and finals competition with 4 teams.

- Team usa.
-All Ncaa team.
- Team Nba foreigners.
- All non-nba ( fiba, china south america) World team

Make the retired great players play against each other. Different eras, decades, teams they played, i dont care. Just have two teams and make them play

HouRealCoach
07-20-2013, 12:46 PM
It's for the fans, why not let them vote?

Dunk Contest, 3 Point Contest, Skills Contest, Team Shootout all stay... Add One on One.

Put the C back in the lineup.

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
East vs West Fight to the Death

D-Leethal
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
All Star Saturday is just begging for a 1 on 1 contest.

koreancabbage
07-20-2013, 02:59 PM
1 on 1 contest.

and All-Star weekend in Toronto.

All-In
07-20-2013, 08:15 PM
HORSE or knockout or tip-it or 21.......1 on 1 lol whos going to try? not the superstars thats for sure maybe like Brandon Jennings will but no one wants to see that...its like the dunk contest no one cares unless the superstars play...i think they'll play knockout or 21

John Walls Era
07-20-2013, 09:24 PM
I rather watch NBA players play paintball than the Skill Competitions.

RiceOnTheRun
07-20-2013, 09:26 PM
How would you convince star player to play one on one? They're not going to risk getting embarrassed for an exhibition game. Incentives are needed.

That's true. I'll leave the incentive part up to you guys, but I think the idea itself would be a pretty exciting one haha.

LAKobeBryant
07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
nba stars in wwe ring

TheMightyHumph
07-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Name the All-Stars, then (since the All-Star Game means nothing), give all NBA players a week off.

But NBA money-grubbers would never agree to that, even though it would be the best thing for the players in their league.

SportsFanatic10
07-21-2013, 12:35 AM
the one on one tourney people talk about as great as it would be for the fans will never happen. superstars have too much pride on the line, and teams can't risk them getting hurt. never gonna happen.

Laker Legend42
07-21-2013, 12:47 AM
It would be fun/funny to see the old timers game. You have a lot of not so old old guys that could compete

East. West
Jordan. Shaq
Ewing. G.payton
A.houston. Drexler
Iverson. Barkley

Just to name a few.

SportsFanatic10
07-21-2013, 01:16 AM
It would be fun/funny to see the old timers game. You have a lot of not so old old guys that could compete

East. West
Jordan. Shaq
Ewing. G.payton
A.houston. Drexler
Iverson. Barkley

Just to name a few.

yep, this time of thing would be perfect imo. plenty of options, just watching white chocolate's moves in china from that earlier thread was definitely entertaining. i'd love to see some of the old timers go at it and recently retired players should want to jump all over this as well.

WHODAT8o8
07-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Have the big men do the skills compeition

TrueFan420
07-21-2013, 02:21 AM

East. West
Jordan. Shaq
Ewing. G.payton
A.houston. Drexler
Iverson. Barkley

Just to name a few.

I agree that would be fun. Would also like to see the dunk contest ban gimmicky stuff and return to actual dunks.

Asik's better
07-21-2013, 03:30 AM
The 1 on 1 contest with a bunch role players would still be more interesting than anything that is on the second day now.
Parsons v.s green
Jennings v.s Teague
Matchup's would still be interesting even without the star power.

Guppyfighter
07-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Players don't think they are going to get embarrassed.

asandhu23
07-21-2013, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCk7SjkSE4c

:D

Goose17
07-21-2013, 06:38 AM

Then why don't they enter the dunk contests?

They're scared of losing to scrubs. And they will never play one on one because they're scared of being embarrassed. You're telling me Lebron and Kobe are both willing to prove once and for all who is the better player? Nah. They're not giving the media trolls any more ammo. You think Brandon Knight wants to play Irving one on one? Nah.

They're not going to risk getting embarrassed and looking bad for nothing. Incentives are needed.

NYJ - NYY
07-21-2013, 07:55 AM

They're scared of losing to scrubs. And they will never play one on one because they're scared of being embarrassed. You're telling me Lebron and Kobe are both willing to prove once and for all who is the better player? Nah. They're not giving the media trolls any more ammo. You think Brandon Knight wants to play Irving one on one? Nah.

They're not going to risk getting embarrassed and looking bad for nothing. Incentives are needed.

Knight v Irving... You're a funny guy lol

Guppyfighter
07-21-2013, 08:03 AM

This is the silliest argument I have heard against 1 on 1. The only legitimate one is owners don't players getting hurt in a one on one game, nor do players.

Goose17
07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
This is the silliest argument I have heard against 1 on 1. The only legitimate one is owners don't players getting hurt in a one on one game, nor do players.

It's probably the most common argument used, everyone has been suggesting 1 on 1 for years and the most common argument against it is that their pride won't let them. Do you REALLY believe Lebron is going to risk Kobe embarrassing him or vice versa? Really?

Why aren't people like Lebron and Westbrook etc participating in the dunk contest? Because they don't want James White and Gerald Green smoking them in front of everybody.

Do you even realize how big their ego's are? They couldn't handle that.

tr3ymill3r
07-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Just put Jakie Moon in charge. Problem solved.

rockets-fan
07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Have each division in the NBA make their own 5 on 5 super team, then have a tournament the winner of the east vs the winner of the west. Make the games to 25 1's and 2's so multiple games can be played and put up a charity to win for each division so they compete.

You know

Southwest team
Pacific team

Ect.

TheNumber37
07-21-2013, 12:15 PM
A one on One is bigger than the all star game. it should be a pay per view type of event.

NYG+Braves
07-21-2013, 12:34 PM
U dont rly have to improve the ASG,u have to make the players care. I know a way... the winning team gets...all their child support paid til the next all star game. Im betting this would make the game almost like a playoff game.

ManRam
07-21-2013, 01:11 PM

I'd rather fans vote than players or coaches.

I hate the idea of making the game count for HCA in the playoffs. That's unbelievably dumb.

I don't think there's much you can do too realistically improve it. Bribing the stars to do the dunk contest with charity was initially enticing to me, but that's just unfair.

BALLER R
07-21-2013, 01:29 PM
NBA players are a bunch of ****** sometimes. I don't think you should have to put up more money for them to join. If so that money should be going to charity. Your getting paid 15-20 mill and your complain about money. Personally I would join everything just because I would want to win everything. Your a competitor that's what your suppose to do. I would want every single title and trophy in the league. But maybe that's just me.

BALLER R
07-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Competition in the NBA isn't what it use to be. I think it's also because of all the rule changes over the years.

dalton749
07-22-2013, 07:37 AM
I like the idea of each division having a team
and the big men doing the skills comps would be gold

Guppyfighter
07-22-2013, 07:43 AM
It's probably the most common argument used, everyone has been suggesting 1 on 1 for years and the most common argument against it is that their pride won't let them. Do you REALLY believe Lebron is going to risk Kobe embarrassing him or vice versa? Really?

Why aren't people like Lebron and Westbrook etc participating in the dunk contest? Because they don't want James White and Gerald Green smoking them in front of everybody.

Do you even realize how big their ego's are? They couldn't handle that.

Lebron James did not think to himself. "I am not going to enter the dunk contest because what if Gerald Green beats me."

That's not what they think. It's a ridiculous argument. Players are extremely confident.