PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox talking long-term extension with Pedroia

AI
07-19-2013, 06:07 PM
The Boston Red Sox and Dustin Pedroia are discussing a contract extension that would make him the game’s highest-paid second baseman and could keep him with the team he has come to embody into the next decade, major league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

While one source said the parties still must bridge a gap in both dollars and years, both sides are motivated to strike a deal. The general framework of the contract could call for an annual salary in the $20 million range for a contract lasting five or six years – somewhere in the vicinity of the six-year, $100 million extension signed this offseason by Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, sources said.

Pedroia, 29, has another year at $10 million remaining on his current deal, and the Red Sox own an $11 million option for 2015. Whether the new contract would replace the leftover years or add onto them remains another negotiating point.

After tabling discussions on an extension during spring training, the Red Sox and Pedroia’s representatives picked up talks during the All-Star break, sources said. They’re expected to continue discussions as the Red Sox look to bolster their pitching staff via trades for a run at winning the American League East, which they lead over the Rays by 2˝ games. At 58-39, Boston owns the AL’s best record, and Pedroia is a large reason why.

Since his Rookie of the Year- and World Series-winning debut in 2007, Pedroia has been every bit as valuable as Robinson Cano, the New York Yankees’ second baseman expected to fetch $200 million-plus this offseason as a free agent. Pedroia won the AL MVP award in his second season and has consistently been one of the best hitters in the league.

He may be on the way to his best season yet. Pedroia is batting .316, and his career-high .396 on-base percentage ranks behind only Miguel Cabrera, Joe Mauer, teammate David Ortiz and Mike Trout. Pedroia is one of the few players in baseball with more walks than strikeouts – 51 to 49 – and advanced fielding metrics rank him among the best second basemen in the game.

After dumping the massive salaries of Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford last season, the Red Sox freed up money to pursue extensions with a franchise player such as Pedroia. He is among Boston’s favorite athletes, thanks to his cocksure attitude, sense of humor and mixture of natural playing ability that contrasts with a 5-foot-8, 165-pound body.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/red-sox-talking-lucrative-extension-with-pedroia-215140972.html

AI
07-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Bradford chimes in...

According to an industry source, the Red Sox and Dustin Pedroia have made “progress” in talks to sign the second baseman to a contract extension. Talks have between the team and the player have been ongoing since the offseason.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/07/19/source-dustin-pedroia-red-sox-making-progress-in-contract-extension-talks/

Nomar
07-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Into the next decade? That's gonna **** us over. No way he's healthy in 2020 let alone productive offensively.

-Lavigne43-
07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Sounds like too much money and too many years. I don't like it.

AI
07-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Into the next decade? That's gonna **** us over. No way he's healthy in 2020 let alone productive offensively.

While I may agree, if there was one guy I wouldn't bet against, it's Pedroia.

grandsalami
07-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Sounds like too much money and too many years. I don't like it.

well its only going to go UP UP UP once cano signs..... so better to do it now

Nomar
07-19-2013, 07:36 PM
well its only going to go UP UP UP once cano signs..... so better to do it now

x2 thats the only part i like.

Still doesnt change that hes an injury prone guy with a violent swing that cant stay like this forever.

AI
07-19-2013, 07:46 PM
x2 thats the only part i like.

Still doesnt change that hes an injury prone guy with a violent swing that cant stay like this forever.

I don't like when people say he's injury prone. Aside from that freak injury where he hit the ball off his foot and broke a bone, he's been pretty reliable. I'll look up games played later.

-Lavigne43-
07-19-2013, 08:16 PM
He plays games, but he's always playing through injuries.

When you extend a contract two years ahead if time you expect to get a discount. $20M per year for 6 years, during his age 32-37 years? That would make him the highest paid middle infielder per year ever, by a good margin. ARod would be the only 3b ever to get more per year. The odds of pulling even on that contract are very slim.

grandsalami
07-19-2013, 08:21 PM
He plays games, but he's always playing through injuries.

When you extend a contract two years ahead if time you expect to get a discount. $20M per year for 6 years, during his age 32-37 years? That would make him the highest paid middle infielder per year ever, by a good margin. ARod would be the only 3b ever to get more per year. The odds of pulling even on that contract are very slim.
but like i said up thread its pretty much Cano, then pedroia. If you wait till cano signs you will pay more,(a **** load more) and if you dont pay him that larger contract and he walks, sox fans will burn fenway figuritivly

-Lavigne43-
07-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Pedroia is a free agent 2 years after Cano. I'd rather wait and see what he is in 2 years if the cost is already going to be so high.

Nomar
07-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Pedroia is a free agent 2 years after Cano. I'd rather wait and see what he is in 2 years if the cost is already going to be so high.

Good point i agree, depending on just how high the price already is.

ciaban
07-19-2013, 10:46 PM
They better be replacing the current 2 years left, because otherwise they would be paying 100 mill for his age 32 season + which would be just stupid, because your overpaying for a decline fase, i think if they just let him hit free agency for the 2016 season it would be cheaper than doing this now.

Let him walk, you have better internal options with Garin Cecchini and Bogarts who could be 2nd basemen.

grandsalami
07-19-2013, 11:08 PM
“@GordonEdes: Major league source says Sox made offer of contract extension to Pedroia over break. "Ball is in their court.'' Yahoo says 100m plus”

https://twitter.com/GordonEdes/status/358422327400218625

Lackeyfan41
07-19-2013, 11:35 PM
The last thing we need is Pedroia costing 20 Mil in 2019 and 2020.

boodgyman5220
07-20-2013, 02:07 AM
honestly. if there is wone person that you have to choose to embody the red sox ideal. its dustin pedroia. give the man his money. let him retire as one of the all time red sox greats

Lackeyfan41
07-20-2013, 02:54 AM
honestly. if there is wone person that you have to choose to embody the red sox ideal. its dustin pedroia. give the man his money. let him retire as one of the all time red sox greats
Just because he has been great doesn't mean we should throw millions of dollars at him and have it bite us in the *ss for two, three or four seasons at the end of the contract.

AI
07-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Just because he has been great doesn't mean we should throw millions of dollars at him and have it bite us in the *ss for two, three or four seasons at the end of the contract.

We have no long-term commitments. Highly unlikely that it will come back to bite us a la Crawford. Will it probably be a slight overpay? Sure, but Pedroia is worth it and we can afford it. Kids coming up soon and they'll all be cost-controlled.

Lackeyfan41
07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
We have no long-term commitments. Highly unlikely that it will come back to bite us a la Crawford. Will it probably be a slight overpay? Sure, but Pedroia is worth it and we can afford it. Kids coming up soon and they'll all be cost-controlled.
Pedroia is controlled for two more years, he will be 32 at the end of that.

A Brandon Phillips like extension of 6 years and 70 mil would be fine for the sox, maybe even 5 years 75 mil.

But if we are talking 5,6 years 100-120, I don't like it.

MG956
07-20-2013, 06:36 AM
In 6-7 years 20 million isn't going to seem like huge money.

BostonSports96
07-20-2013, 12:08 PM
In 6-7 years 20 million isn't going to seem like huge money.

Right? I mean, both Pedroia and Longoria at 6 years $100 million will be bargains compared to what Trout, Harper and Puig are gonna get after they hit FA.

-Lavigne43-
07-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Longoria is averaging $16M a year for his deal, that's the type of discount that makes it worth extending a player 2 years ahead of time. You can't compare them to two players in their low 20's that are already elite players. Harper and Trout could end up being two of the greatest players ever, and they will be free agents in their mid twenties.

ciaban
07-20-2013, 03:09 PM
honestly. if there is wone person that you have to choose to embody the red sox ideal. its dustin pedroia. give the man his money. let him retire as one of the all time red sox greatsWhy do you need to have someone embody "the redsox ideal" and what the hell is the redsox ideal? Getting as many good players from California as possible? Is that it? if it is, then yes he the current embodyment of that.

Crawford wasn't the problem, he was the last in line of poor spending, at one point you only had PAPI locked up and not super long either, then you extended beckett in 2010 because hey why not? Playoff ace! Then you sign Lackey, Bull Dog we just got the best pitcher froma team we will see in the playoffs, then you trade for Adrian, he is a great 1b, then sign Crawford.

This all happend over about 2 years. And with the smaller contracts you had like Pedrioas deal at the time, your Payroll jumped to 180 million. This is how it happens.

Bos_Sports4Life
07-20-2013, 05:12 PM

overpayment is rarely worth it...Esp when its not needed.

If Pedroia was in his Free agent year and you wanted to keep him too build around for the next few seasons? I could see it.

However, Prime seasons are normally 27-31 (around there)..Players start declining around 32. Pedroia isn't going to be a FA UNTIL 32. This FULL extention will be under his declining yrs and for TOP of the line money.

Add in the fact Pedroia is a midle infielder, small, has a violent swing AND playes 110% (Even through nagging injuries)...He probably won't age gracefully.

Smart thing too do? You let him play out this yr, Next yr, Pick up his option in '15 for the 11 Mill (Will likely still be cheap for the production) and see how hes doing 1/2 through that season.

OR pedroia can agree too take a disscounted type extention, Redsox have ALL the leverage..USE IT!

ruckus16969
07-20-2013, 05:34 PM

This

I hve no problem if the FO throws tons of money at Pedey

Longoria is averaging $16M a year for his deal, that's the type of discount that makes it worth extending a player 2 years ahead of time. You can't compare them to two players in their low 20's that are already elite players. Harper and Trout could end up being two of the greatest players ever, and they will be free agents in their mid twenties.

Those guys are gonna make so much money

Rivera
07-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Hell yea I'm down keep pedi

BostonSports96
07-20-2013, 11:48 PM

I know....that's what I'm saying. Those three are only going to get better and because they'll be FAs in their primes they might get $30 mill per year at 10 years.

6 years and $16 mill per year for players like Longoria and Pedroia now will be bargains because while they aren't as good they are still All-Star caliber players at almost half the price annually.

-Lavigne43-
07-21-2013, 12:18 AM
How do you know Pedroia is still going to be an all star caliber player into his mid to upper 30's? They're also talking $20M not 16. Trout is already in the debate for best player in baseball at 22. You can't say Pedroia would be a bargain compared to what probably the best player in baseball will get in free agency at a very young age. I don't think Pedroia is even comparable to Longoria. Longoria is the better player, and 2 years younger.

How much more than $20M is Pedroia going to be worth in free agency two years from now heading into his age 32 season? There's no point in extending him now when we are getting a minimal discount.

todu82
07-21-2013, 09:30 AM
I like Pedroia but I don't want him signed to a ludicrous amount in his mid to late 30's.

Station 13
07-21-2013, 01:58 PM
$100M after his current contract? GTFO Cherrington.

j-bay
07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Buster thinks they're close.

AI
07-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Buster thinks they're close.

He speculated.

Nomar
07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
He speculated.

and it went everywhere.

RedSoxtober
07-22-2013, 12:26 PM
When the subject first came up within the site a year or so ago I debated it with Bags and suggested that 3 years beyond his current deal would make sense. I could see them replacing the 2013-14 years with a 5yr extension... but not that 5yr extension. Maybe 5yrs/$80M? That'd be the equivalent of adding $60M/3yrs to his current deal and guaranteeing the 2014 option is picked up. I'd like that a lot more than tacking on $100M/5yrs to his current deal.

Just food for thought... Pedroia's career has been fairly similar to Ryne Sandberg. Sandberg hit .264/.308/.403 in his career-ending age 37 season. Well, that's partly true. That was his second career ending season. He got off to such a slow starting in his age 34 season (1994) that he retired midseason and then sat out the following year as well. He returned to action for 1996-97. This may serve as a warning to Pedroia supporters.

ruckus16969
07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't think Pedeys gonna be all that greedy. I think he knows if he takes a little less money the team can spend more on a supporting cast. On the other hand he isn't going to be cheap either. The players union won't allow it and not to mention he does play for the BoSox not the Royals. So I don't think he will demand say Cano type money. I'm guessing like 17m for 6 or 7 yrs. Not bad IMO

RedSoxtober
07-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Closed. Deal agreed to in principle. See here (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?830519-Pedroia-and-Red-Sox-have-agreed-in-principle-on-extension).