PDA

View Full Version : Are the Nets the new favorites to win the title?

Pages : [1] 2

bartron_44
07-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I realize Miami have won back to back titles, but the Nets are a whole lot deeper now than the Heat.

Williams > any PG on the Heat
Johnson < Wade
Pierce < Lebron
Garnett > Haslem
Lopez > Bosh

With Lopez AND Garnett inside, along with Evans and AK47 on the bench, I think Brooklyn will dominate inside and on the boards against the Heat. Williams is also MUCH better than any of their PG's ,and their bench is a lot better.

Indiana showed everyone that a strong post game and solid D can defeat the Heat. They also have knock down shooters with DWill, JJ and Jason Terry to provide space for those inside guys.

Could Brooklyn win it all this season?

MonroeFAN
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
You should focus on dethroning Indiana as #2 first IMO.

Brooklyn will be fun to watch this season though, assuming everyone has good health. It's never wise to bet against Lebron.

BleedingGreen9
07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
i think alot of people are sleeping on this team. they might not be top two seed in the east going into the playoffs but other than miami i think they have the best shot at taking the east

seikou8
07-19-2013, 09:25 AM
over/under 30 pages, no they should be no body favorites the heat are two champs and nets are the off season winners congrats we will see how good when they play this season using the <,> argument is very poor.

MickeyMgl
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
I realize Miami have won back to back titles, but the Nets are a whole lot deeper now than the Heat.

Johnson < Wade
Pierce < Lebron
Garnett > Haslem
Lopez > Bosh

With Lopez AND Garnett inside, along with Evans and AK47 on the bench, I think Brooklyn will dominate inside and on the boards against the Heat. Williams is also MUCH better than any of their PG's ,and their bench is a lot better.

Indiana showed everyone that a strong post game and solid D can defeat the Heat. They also have knock down shooters with DWill, JJ and Jason Terry to provide space for those inside guys.

The Nets are completely legit. They COULD win it all this season. However, I'm not sure I'd call them "favorites" over Chicago or Miami.

jimm120
07-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Brooklyn will be fun to watch this season though, assuming everyone has good health. It's never wise to bet against Lebron.

#2 in the regular season were the knicks. Though if you're going by playoffs, then I guess Indy...

And yeah, if things work out, they'll be real good.

Still, JJ is a sunk cost. KG isn't that good anymore (but still great on defense). We'll have to see if Deron can keep playing at the level he was playing post allstar (which was the first time in 3 years). Terry is no longer that good either.

A lot of challenges, but there should be enough talent. Pierce is still great. And KG's defense is still great. Any offense he gives is a bonus.

RowBTrice
07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
No, they aren't.

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Miami will remain the favorites.

Like it or not, which ever team LeBron James is on will be the favorite to win the title. Until he retires, then we can start talking about other possibilities and other teams.

ATX
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
They had a great offseason. Must be nice for the fans to have a multibillionaire Russian who doesn't care about spending whatsoever. Still find the Kirilenko deal a bit "Odd". Anyways, while they are built for the playoffs, and I expect a deep run, I wouldn't call them favorites, though It's clearly a four team race with Miami, Chicago, and Indiana all vying for a trip to the Finals.

Slug3
07-19-2013, 09:42 AM
You can take the top 2 talents on the Nets and combine them and they still would not be better than Lebron. At this point as long as Miami has Lebron they are the favorite.

D-Leethal
07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
When a poster tries to compare teams using the position > position rule, you know to never take any of their posts seriously.

ManRam
07-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Not favorites, but I do think they could very well be somewhat legit contenders. Gotta see them play first.

Sly Guy
07-19-2013, 09:51 AM
lol, no. Mainly cuz if Boston doesn't want pierce/garnett/terry anymore cuz they can't win a championship, then I don't see how it'd be any different in Brooklyn.

ATX
07-19-2013, 09:53 AM
lol, no. Mainly cuz if Boston doesn't want pierce/garnett/terry anymore cuz they can't win a championship, then I don't see how it'd be any different in Brooklyn.

Boston is simply accelerating their rebuilding process. That does not mean Pierce and Garnett cannot play anymore. They are still considerable additions for Brooklyn.

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Yes.

This is actually a Spurs-like team that meshes well together. I don't consider D-Will a superstar, though I would see why others would, but the Nets now have a good old-fashioned well-oiled lineup. The influence of KG will make Lopez better, KG is still impactful, and PP goes from being a go-to scorer to a complementary scorer. On top of this all, they have a versatile bench with Terry, Blatche, Kirilenko, Evans and Livingston. They have no LeBron James on their team, but 2-though-5 is in favor of the Nets. I expect them to at least reach the ECF and they have moved up as one of four serious title contenders in my book.

SteBO
07-19-2013, 09:56 AM
I still think a healthy and whole Bulls team w/ Rose is at least the second best team in the East, but I gotta see how Brooklyn plays first. Still too many questions about them that need to be answered.

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 09:57 AM
PP and KG were 1 and 2 in Boston. They are 4 and 5 options in Brooklyn. That's a huge upgrade for the Nets. This is nothing like adding KG and Ray to the 2007-2008 lone-star PP Celtics. This is like adding Ginobili and Duncan to Durant, Wesbrook, Ibaka. They have to do less, with less pressure, but they're still mightily skilled and just so experienced.

TheMightyHumph
07-19-2013, 11:08 AM
They had a great offseason. Must be nice for the fans to have a multibillionaire Russian who doesn't care about spending whatsoever. Still find the Kirilenko deal a bit "Odd". Anyways, while they are built for the playoffs, and I expect a deep run, I wouldn't call them favorites, though It's clearly a four team race with Miami, Chicago, and Indiana all vying for a trip to the Finals.

Nets deserve Proky after years of Ratner

xxcubs22xx
07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
PP and KG were 1 and 2 in Boston. They are 4 and 5 options in Brooklyn. That's a huge upgrade for the Nets. This is nothing like adding KG and Ray to the 2007-2008 lone-star PP Celtics. This is like adding Ginobili and Duncan to Durant, Wesbrook, Ibaka. They have to do less, with less pressure, but they're still mightily skilled and just so experienced.

lmao wut

SportsFanatic10
07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
not only are they not the favorites, but i see them as the 4th best team in the east alone behind heat, bulls, pacers...

Hawkeye15
07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
on paper they are contenders. But we need to see them play first, and see if that roster holds up health wise. I still don't think they can beat Miami, or OKC for instance though, in a 7 game series.

SportsFanatic10
07-19-2013, 11:19 AM

this is one of the worst posts i've ever seen lol, dude look at what you just typed and think for a second.

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
On paper they are anyone who denies it is delusional... That team is stacked the nets and clippers are the on paper champions

Yanks All Day
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM
My only concern would be the ability of the Nets to play at Miami's pace. You think Lopez, Garnett, Pierce, etc. all can run the floor for 40+ minutes a game? Not a chance. Joe Johnson is the Nets' second youngest star at 32 years old. Terry is 35, Pierce is 35, and KG is 37. I'm just skeptical of them playing at Miami's pace for a 7 game series is all. They'll be legit, and maybe even the 2 seed in the East if they mesh well. It's obvious that making Miami a half-court team is the way to beat them, but I can't see the Nets taking 4 of 7 against the Heat right now.

We'll see how the season plays out, but right now Miami also clearly has the advantage in bench play. I'm not sure who Brooklyn can bring in to play good minutes against a Miami team besides Terry, and maybe Kirilenko. Blatche had a great year, but could be hit or miss. That could be the difference. I think Brooklyn is right there with the Indiana and Chicago group right under Miami, though.

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Miami can't guard Lopez and Garnett, and pierce plays his best against the Heat

SportsFanatic10
07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
My only concern would be the ability of the Nets to play at Miami's pace. You think Lopez, Garnett, Pierce, etc. all can run the floor for 40+ minutes a game? Not a chance. They'll be legit, and maybe even the 2 seed in the East if they mesh well. It's obvious that making Miami a half-court team is the way to beat them, but I can't see the Nets taking 4 of 7 against the Heat right now. We'll see how the season plays out, but right now Miami also clearly has the advantage in bench play. I'm not sure who Brooklyn can bring in to play good minutes against a Miami team besides Terry. That could be the difference. I think Brooklyn is right there with the Indiana and Chicago group right under Miami, though.

they do have ak47 off the bench as well.

Nick O
07-19-2013, 11:37 AM
no because theres that team called the heat. they arent too bad

Greet
07-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Not favorites, but I do think they could very well be somewhat legit contenders. Gotta see them play first.

Well as a Nets fan I actually think we match-up better against the Heat than the Pacers.

East as of right now:
Heat
Pacers/Nets
Nets/Pacers
Bulls
Knicks

Knick_Fever
07-19-2013, 11:47 AM
When you have each starter ranked in the top 5 at their position, its hard not to think so. But the reality is the Heat are the heavy favorites to win it all, but its not going to get any easier for them. They could be looking at 7-game series' starting in the second round next season.

elledaddy
07-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Soooooooooo........
D Williams = Westbrook....ok I guess
B Lopez = Ibaka....... ok I guess
K Durant = Joe Marcus Johnson born 06-29-81.... FOH, trip yourself

They COULD win but so can IND,NYK,CHI....
Im picking the NETS to lose to IND in the first round in the 4/5 matchup
Quote me

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Soooooooooo........

Quote me

4/5 matchup? So you have the Heat,Bulls, and Knicks as the top 3 seeds? Sureeeee...

Hawkeye15
07-19-2013, 12:10 PM
4/5 matchup? So you have the Heat,Bulls, and Knicks as the top 3 seeds? Sureeeee...

I can't see how the Knicks possibly finish above the Nets, unless the Nets get beat up with injuries. The only teams, realistically, that can finish above the Nets, are Miami, Chicago, and an outside chance at Indy, though I think they fall to 4th seed.

Young and Stupid
07-19-2013, 12:15 PM
No.

The favorite is, undoubtedly, the Miami HEAT. They're back-to-back champions. They have the best player in the world -- and an inevitable top-5 player all-time -- in LeBron James. They have three-time champion and still top-10 player (even when not fully healthy), Dwayne Wade, as their second option. In addition, they possess the requisite combination of chemistry, experience, talent, coaching and hunger to be considered the most likely champion next season.

HOWEVER ... on paper, the Nets do have the best team in the league. They're legitimately 12-deep. It's scary. If you stop and access their roster, it's hard to deny that the talent rank is FIRST. Billy King has assembled a combination of players that all compliment each other's games and each provide the versatility to play two (sometimes three) positions.

1: Williams/Livingston/Taylor/Kidd
2: Johnson/Terry/Pierce/Williams/Livingston/Taylor
3: Pierce/Kirilenko/Johnson/Teletovic/Shengelia
4: Garnett/Blatche/Kirilenko/Teletovic/Evans/Plumlee
5: Lopez/Blatche/Garnett/Plumlee

Yes, King has had the highest payroll in league history at his disposal, but -- despite some of the players being overpaid (see: Johnson, Joe) -- he's done a GREAT job. In the NBA, there are always injuries; this roster is built to withstand some of the inevitable stretches of missed games that will occur throughout the season. (In fact, it's even strong enough to withstand a season-ending injury to one of its weaker starters.)

It will depend on how quickly the Nets gel. Can Lopez take the next step to develop an increased level of intensity playing alongside KG? Will Deron Williams be able to adjust to playing with an All-Star level roster for the first time in his career? Despite claiming "it's not about me; it's about the team" is Pierce willing to share the 'last shot' responsibility with Joe Johnson? Will Blatche, Lopez and Teletovic embrace Garnett and Lawrence Frank's defensive influence?

Obviously, there are many more questions to be asked. It's up to the NBA's highest paid coaching staff (not counting the head coach) to make "yes" be the answer to as many of those questions as possible.

The point is: The Nets very well could win an NBA championship in this coming season. However, despite having a better roster than the defending champion HEAT, they can't be considered the favorite because they're an unknown and because it's their first year playing together.

29$JerZ
07-19-2013, 12:18 PM
I can't see how the Knicks possibly finish above the Nets, unless the Nets get beat up with injuries. The only teams, realistically, that can finish above the Nets, are Miami, Chicago, and an outside chance at Indy, though I think they fall to 4th seed.

Well if we repeat our efficient offense from last season it's actually possible to be a 3rd seed or 4th.
I already see Miami/Chicago as the 1/2 seed.

elledaddy
07-19-2013, 12:32 PM

I do believe the Knicks will have a better regular season record than the Nets, why is that a knock on Brooklyn? I do believe the Nets got better but that doesnt effect the Knicks. Contrary to what a few ppl on here say, the Knicks surley didnt get worst this off season and are coming of a 54 win season. The forum keep saying the same BS.....
-The Nets added x players so they leaped the Knicks
-The Pacers get back Granger and have another year so they leaped the Knicks
-The Bulls get back Rose so they leaped the Knicks

But unless ppl expect ALL THESE TEAMS TO SWEEP the regular season matchups vs NYK, how does this make NY worst? We play the rest of the league too. The Knicks went 23-20 vs teams above 500 and 31-8 VS SUB 500 teams, to think thats impossible to repeat is just silly. I keep hearing that the Nets are " built for post season", well the Knicks are " Built for regular season" and I believe( baring injury to whatever teams) that the Knicks will finish in either 2nd or 3rd place( with Chicago) followed by Ind and Brooklyn( no order)

njnets
07-19-2013, 12:35 PM
It takes more than winning one on one matchup a on paper. Even so, Lebron should have a lot more > signs bc he's that good.

On paper I think they can compete. They are set up quite well if you ask me. Games are played for a reason. Regardless in excited

Hawkeye15
07-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Well if we repeat our efficient offense from last season it's actually possible to be a 3rd seed or 4th.
I already see Miami/Chicago as the 1/2 seed.

I simply think the Nets talent will just produce more wins. As long as they mesh quickly, and don't suffer injuries. On paper, and I stress, on paper, they have more talent than any roster in the east, including Miami. However, Miami is a well oiled machine with the best player in the world, and back to back champions. The Nets aren't on their level on the floor.

sportscrazed
07-19-2013, 12:45 PM
They're too slow. D-Will is great but having watched him throughout his career he is not that fast. He is more powerful which is good but for an already hideously slow team, it isn't. I'm interested to see what KG does do the defense because from what I hear, he automatically makes a mediocre defense into a championship caliber one. D-Will will now be as good of a defender as Rajon Rondo and Joe Johnson will become like Avery Bradley on defense. Bringing KG in will make them that way. Also age doesn't matter at all, its good to be old in the NBA. Just play less minutes and it will work out. Steve Nash showed it was easy.

Also smh on the guy who said the Knicks could be a top 3 seed. They were number 2 last year but they lost Steve Novak and Marcus Camby. It's impossible for them to get 54 wins again even though they're much better on paper than last year.

The Heat are still the heavy favorites and if you deny this you are a Heat hater. They have LeBron James. I don't see any other teams with LeBron James.

Also, why does no one talk about the Western Conference?

MiamiLoyal926
07-19-2013, 12:46 PM
They have a highly inexperienced first year coach. He hasn't even had the opportunity to be an assistant. There is not just a learning curve for the players but the coach as well. This will set them back during the regular season as they will lose many games due to this lack of chemistry and experienced coach. By the time they gel, they will probably be in a position to be out of home court advantage by the second round and thus be carrying a heavier load and path to the finals. They don't make it out of the east this year. (And as a heat fan I further hope I am not wrong for my teams sake as they are paper scary)

Pierzynski4Prez
07-19-2013, 12:49 PM
They will win the title just like the Lakers won it last year.

sportscrazed
07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
They will win the title just like the Lakers won it last year.

This is different, last year the Lakers were great on paper but really old

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Knicks will be 4th seed which I actually don't mind, we would face the 5th seed and a easy first round victory (barring injuries, and mental collapse)

Hawkeye15
07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Knicks will be 4th seed which I actually don't mind, we would face the 5th seed and a easy first round victory (barring injuries, and mental collapse)

currently, I have the Knicks as the 5th seed

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Still fine with me, I just care about getting out the first round. Knicks won't be title contenders unless Melo take the next step which will never happen. I'm looking forward to 2015 where Tyson, Amare and & hope Melo is gone and we will restock... Rondo, Love and Gasol are my dream signing!

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Still fine with me, I just care about getting out the first round. Knicks won't be title contenders unless Melo take the next step which will never happen. I'm looking forward to 2015 where Tyson, Amare, JR and & hope Melo is gone and we will restock... Rondo, Love and Gasol are my dream signing!

Rockice_8
07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

I actually think INDY won't make it out of the first round this year. That's my bold statement for the year.

J4KOP99
07-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Heat
Bulls
Nets (no injuries, no major chemistry problems)
Indy
NYK

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I actually think INDY won't make it out of the first round this year. That's my bold statement for the year.

:facepalm: you do realize the Pacers have gotten better right?

Vinny642
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Lmao no

Rockice_8
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Lots of non Nets fans making Nets threads these days.

NO come on even Nets fans aren't calling themselves favorites. MIA are the clear favorites. BK just has a great chance to knock them off that's all.

KnickaBocka.44
07-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Im not sure there could be more false confidence in this thread.

Rockice_8
07-19-2013, 01:19 PM

So has every other team.

I said it was my bold statement for the year. I just think they will have a tough first round matchup with one of NYK, BK, CHI and I like all those teams to knocks them out.

The 4/5 matchup is going to be an all out war. There are 5 teams in the East and two will be meeting up in the 4/5 matchup.

sportscrazed
07-19-2013, 01:26 PM

:facepalm: you do realize other ECF teams got a lot better and you can't expect Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Lance Stephenson to play out of their minds in the playoffs again.

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:31 PM
:facepalm: you do realize other ECF teams got a lot better and you can't expect Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Lance Stephenson to play out of their minds in the playoffs again.

:facepalm: Yeah let's forget Granger wont be available. They took the Heat to 7 with out Granger so just imagine when they do have him. They lack another scorer

Federal Reserve
07-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Are we all going to act like the Knicks aren't the best team in the East? They destroyed the Heat last season without Artest and Barghani.

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:33 PM
So has every other team.

I said it was my bold statement for the year. I just think they will have a tough first round matchup with one of NYK, BK, CHI and I like all those teams to knocks them out.

The 4/5 matchup is going to be an all out war. There are 5 teams in the East and two will be meeting up in the 4/5 matchup.

Knicks will not beat the Pacers, no chance if that happening. nets or Bulls maybe. I see the Pacers beating the Nets, but I do see the Bulls beating the Pacers with a healthy Rose. I think the Nets beat the Bulls but losing to the Pacers if they meet them. Idk its going to be very interesting!

yungincome
07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
:facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Hawks have gotten worse IMO
Pistons aren't any better maybe just alil. Josh Smith is overrated
Cavs might surprise ppl but that's of Bynum stays healthy
Bucks suck
Raps might be 7th or 8

diu9leilomo
07-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Are we all going to act like the Knicks aren't the best team in the East? They destroyed the Heat last season without Artest and Barghani.

:laugh:

LongIslandIcedZ
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Knicks and Nets have flipped places from last year.

All Knick fans said the Knicks would have the better team, while most Net fans thought they would be better. Now it is the exact opposite.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Lots of non Nets fans making Nets threads these days.

NO come on even Nets fans aren't calling themselves favorites. MIA are the clear favorites. BK just has a great chance to knock them off that's all.

This. Bait thread.

Rockice_8
07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
:facepalm: Yeah let's forget Granger wont be available. They took the Heat to 7 with out Granger so just imagine when they do have him. They lack another scorer

They had a great path to get to the ECF and when they got there they used their size to beat up on MIA.

I just see INDY as a 4/5 seed and if they match up with one of CHI/NYK/BK they will get knocked out. Really not that much of a reach just cause they coasted to the ECF last year. I guess BK, CHI and NYK should give then?

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
They had a great path to get to the ECF and when they got there they used their size to beat up on MIA.

I just see INDY as a 4/5 seed and if they match up with one of CHI/NYK/BK they will get knocked out. Really not that much of a reach just cause they coasted to the ECF last year. I guess BK, CHI and NYK should give then?

They're better than the Knicks, granted we have the personal to beat the pacers and beaten them pretty badly in the past, but our coach is an idiot. If Amare can stay healthy and if Woodson can use Brags right as a stretch 5 and move Hibbert away from the paint, then I can see us beating the Pacers but until then I can't. Bulls are the only team I can see the Pacers losing too. If nets avoid the Pacers it will be the Nets vs Heat in the ECF imo

Rockice_8
07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Knicks will not beat the Pacers, no chance if that happening. nets or Bulls maybe. I see the Pacers beating the Nets, but I do see the Bulls beating the Pacers with a healthy Rose. I think the Nets beat the Bulls but losing to the Pacers if they meet them. Idk its going to be very interesting!

We are on different levels here. I think CHI and MIA are the biggest threats to BK and CHI/BK as the biggest threats to MIA. I do think NYK can beat INDY and I think BK is better than INDY.

I think the 4/5 is gonna be NYK vs. INDY the rematch from last year and I think if the Knicks aren't banged up and ice cold they will take it (not easily at all but in 7 games).

Could definitely go either way but I didn't think INDY was challenged until the ECF last year and they just matched up well with MIA. INDY's advantage is their size which CHI and BK can match.

Just my thoughts.

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2013, 01:45 PM
We are on different levels here. I think CHI and MIA are the biggest threats to BK and CHI/BK as the biggest threats to MIA. I do think NYK can beat INDY and I think BK is better than INDY.

I think the 4/5 is gonna be NYK vs. INDY the rematch from last year and I think if the Knicks aren't banged up and ice cold they will take it (not easily at all but in 7 games).

We will see, I don't see that happening. We should of beaten the Pacers last year but when Woodson finally figured out how too, it was too late. The coach is the only reason why I can't see us beating the pacers!

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Soooooooooo........

Quote me

That's not what I meant. I mean that this is not a situation like when LeBron and Wade, or Melo and Iverson, or Monta Ellis and Jennings have to learn how to play together. You are adding mature HOF pieces to a roster that is already good, but has holes. The Nets roster just works, whereas other teams had to work at it, and BK is also just so deep. PP and KG are perfect additions. I applaud what the Nets did this offseason.

smood999
07-19-2013, 02:07 PM
I honestly think the Nets are going to run into a lot of the same problems as the Knicks last season...won't be able to keep up with younger legs, struggle against athleticism and injuries. On paper however they are better than every team in the east except MIA. Also, I think they'll actually have a worse regular season record than what they're capable of...if they somehow slip to the 4 it's very possible their championship dreams will end early.

As far as why I think they'll be worse regular season than what ppl expect, I don't expect Pierce and Garnett to play more than 25-30 min a game and I don't think they have good enough depth to cover the rest. Blatche, AK47 will make major contributions off the bench...but who else? Livingston, Reggie Evans, Plumlee? I'll even put Jason Terry in that group cause he didn't do much last season.

king4day
07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding why people are ranking Chicago so high. Despite getting Rose back, they've lost important depth with Nate and Marco. If this Nets team played last years Chicago team in the playoffs, BKN doesn't lose and it probably doesn't go 7 either.
Rose will help improve Chicago, but when it comes to depth, I just don't see enough of it to put them back into the 'elite' category.

Also, some people saying that 'on paper' BKN is better than everyone except Miami. "On paper", I'd put them well over Miami for reasons people have mentioned. They have endless shooters, slashers, and big men to give Miami some serious problems.

Who knows how things turn out when the games begin but some seem to think that Lebron is the almighty and unstoppable. Had Pops kept Duncan in the game, we're probably not having this conversation. Miami is far from unbeatable. The Spurs clearly proved that despite losing.

smiddy012
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
A healthy Rose, JB, Deng, & Noah would run circles around the Nets. Their legs are too old. And really a 37 yr old Garnett and AK47 aren't going to make a defense on their own. They're the same team they were last season, they got two guys who can actually play defense, and then the rest of the team is just offense. Whatever NJ gained this off-season Chicago easily outdid with Rose, Deng, Hinrich, & Noah getting healthy.

ChicagoJ
07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
People always get excited when teams get new players, but it almost always takes time to gel and sometimes never does.

This team has a lot of potential but ill wait to see how they play together first.

RLundi
07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Not at all. I like the additions but it doesn't put them above Indiana or Chicago in the east. In the league, I'd slot close to 6-8 teams that have a much more realistic shot at a ring than the Nets.

SteBO
07-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding why people are ranking Chicago so high. Despite getting Rose back, they've lost important depth with Nate and Marco. If this Nets team played last years Chicago team in the playoffs, BKN doesn't lose and it probably doesn't go 7 either.
Rose will help improve Chicago, but when it comes to depth, I just don't see enough of it to put them back into the 'elite' category.
On paper, the Nets have an older team and an inexperienced coach which could play a bigger factor than you're acknowledging (in your case not at all). Sorry, but at least you know what you're going to get from the Bulls. Rose will improve Chicago greatly, and their stifling/suffocating defense isn't going away either and in the Eastern Conference that's enough to solidfy an ECF slot.

Also, you bring up last years CHI-BKN series as if the Bulls were healthy or something. Their starting lineup...

Nate Robinson
Marco Bellinelli
Jimmy Butler
Carlos Boozer
Joakim Noah

The only bench player that got significant playing time for them last year was Gibson, so that makes up a 6-man rotation; and the Nets still got outplayed. Sorry, I refuse to give them any benefit of the doubt even in a hypothetical situation such as this one. If the Bulls were fully healthy last year, that series probably doesn't even go 7 games to begin with.

Also, some people saying that 'on paper' BKN is better than everyone except Miami. "On paper", I'd put them well over Miami for reasons people have mentioned. They have endless shooters, slashers, and big men to give Miami some serious problems.

Who knows how things turn out when the games begin but some seem to think that Lebron is the almighty and unstoppable. Had Pops kept Duncan in the game, we're probably not having this conversation. Miami is far from unbeatable. The Spurs clearly proved that despite losing.
This is something I've been hearing for 3 years straight now, and in the end it equates to nothing.

PhillyFaninLA
07-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I believe the Champs are always the favorite until mathemetically elimanted....if this case I don't see the Nets better then a 3 seed.

still1ballin
07-19-2013, 02:51 PM
To be the man, you got to beat the man!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! !!!

king4day
07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Also, you bring up last years CHI-BKN series as if the Bulls were healthy or something. Their starting lineup...

Nate Robinson
Marco Bellinelli
Jimmy Butler
Carlos Boozer
Joakim Noah

The only bench player that got significant playing time for them last year was Gibson, so that makes up a 6-man rotation; and the Nets still got outplayed. Sorry, I refuse to give them any benefit of the doubt even in a hypothetical situation such as this one. If the Bulls were fully healthy last year, that series probably doesn't even go 7 games to begin with. .
That’s my point. I’m in no way trying to compare Nate to Rose but Nate played the best ball of his career with Chicago and in the playoffs especially. I don’t know how much better Rose would have made them if he was there instead of Nate.

Maybe a Bulls fan can answer as I don’t have the time to look it up right now but who did they get to replace the guys they’ve lost?
I’ll hold judgment on Miami as a whole until I see who they get to replace Miller. That was a significant loss IMO.

SteBO
07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
That’s my point. I’m in no way trying to compare Nate to Rose but Nate played the best ball of his career with Chicago and in the playoffs especially. I don’t know how much better Rose would have made them if he was there instead of Nate.

Maybe a Bulls fan can answer as I don’t have the time to look it up right now but who did they get to replace the guys they’ve lost?
I’ll hold judgment on Miami as a whole until I see who they get to replace Miller. That was a significant loss IMO.
Fair. It's not just Rose though, it's Hinrich and Deng as well. Those guys not being available made it even more difficult.

Listen, I loved Mike Miller here but he was not getting significant playing time most of the year and the only reason he started in the Finals is because Battier and Haslem were useless on both ends of the floor against the Spurs in the Finals. It's a loss that stings, but it's not a loss I'd call significant.

TrueFan420
07-19-2013, 03:05 PM

Johnson < Wade
Pierce < Lebron
Garnett > Haslem
Lopez > Bosh

Just no!

The reigning champs are always the favorites till they get knocked out. Now the nets made moves so that they can have a chance to win it but that doesn't make them favorites.

LegendsNvrDie23
07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Miami will remain the favorites.

Like it or not, which ever team LeBron James is on will be the favorite to win the title. Until he retires, then we can start talking about other possibilities and other teams.

Terrible terrible post.

Gagan136
07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I saw the press conference with PP/KG/Terry, and they talked about how they don't have egos and want to win, i don't doubt them when they say that and i find that a really good sign, but you gotta give respect where its due, and that's too the two time defending champs.

king4day
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Fair. It's not just Rose though, it's Hinrich and Deng as well. Those guys not being available made it even more difficult.

Listen, I loved Mike Miller here but he was not getting significant playing time most of the year and the only reason he started in the Finals is because Battier and Haslem were doing useless on both ends of the floor against the Spurs in the Finals. It's a loss that stings, but it's not a loss I'd call significant.

Good call. Forgot those two were hurt as well.

smiddy012
07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Hinrich, Deng, & Rose didn't see the court vs, Brooklyn. And Noah was fighting through plantar facsiatis the entire playoffs. Those 3 guys and then a healthy Noah outweigh the numerous upgrades Brooklyn has made this off-season.

The Bulls also signed Dunleavy, who's better than Marco, and more consistent than Nate. Snell, our first rounder, will also fill in for Marco and Nate as a defensive wing with shooting ability. Hinrich, Snell, Dunleavy, Taj, & Nazr provide good depth (not mentioning Teague and Murphy, who are basically prospects at this point).

All that said, in no way do I believe a healthy Bulls team would necessarily stroll by Brooklyn in the playoffs. Brooklyn is the more talented team overall I must admit, but Chicago has the chemistry, defense, athleticism, speed, endurance, strength, & coaching on their side.

Now, if we're talking matchups, the only thing that would concern me is Brooklyn's FC. We won't be able to contain KG and Lopez but we can't give up too many points in the paint. Pierce & JJ I'm not worried about at all, we got Deng and JB to shut them down. And I can't wait to see DWill and DRose go at it, but I'd be lying if I didn't expect DRose to win that matchup. But only time will tell! The Eastern conference is going to be exciting as hell this upcoming season.

TheMightyHumph
07-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Hinrich, Deng, & Rose didn't see the court vs, Brooklyn. And Noah was fighting through plantar facsiatis the entire playoffs. Those 3 guys and then a healthy Noah outweigh the numerous upgrades Brooklyn has made this off-season.

The Bulls also signed Dunleavy, who's better than Marco, and more consistent than Nate. Snell, our first rounder, will also fill in for Marco and Nate as a defensive wing with shooting ability. Hinrich, Snell, Dunleavy, Taj, & Nazr provide good depth (not mentioning Teague and Murphy, who are basically prospects at this point).

All that said, in no way do I believe a healthy Bulls team would necessarily stroll by Brooklyn in the playoffs. Brooklyn is the more talented team overall I must admit, but Chicago has the chemistry, defense, athleticism, speed, endurance, strength, & coaching on their side.

Now, if we're talking matchups, the only thing that would concern me is Brooklyn's FC. We won't be able to contain KG and Lopez but we can't give up too many points in the paint. Pierce & JJ I'm not worried about at all, we got Deng and JB to shut them down. And I can't wait to see DWill and DRose go at it, but I'd be lying if I didn't expect DRose to win that matchup. But only time will tell! The Eastern conference is going to be exciting as hell this upcoming season.

Hinrich played first 4 games of the series. Deng the first five.

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Can we just wait until the start of the season? All this Garnett and Pierce don't have it and The Bulls will be better etc etc etc. Why don't we just wait to see how the teams actually come together. Who knows, maybe the Bulls end up being mediocre and stay at the 5th or even down to the 6th seed. Maybe the Nets end up looking incredible, or the exact opposite. The same principle goes for the Pacers and Knicks.

We all don't know, so trying to step out on a limb and give such bold statements already is a bit silly.

bOOyah916
07-19-2013, 09:49 PM
favorites? no. top contender? maybe. Heat are still the favorites and its gonna be a better postseason this season with Chicago coming back healthier too.

Punk
07-19-2013, 10:14 PM
If we are talking about the East alone? not favorites but I would put them #2 in a tie with Chicago depending on how Rose plays and how Butler/Noah develop offensively. In terms of the whole NBA? I'd say they are 3rd or 4th.

Vegas odds has them 6th best odds to win the championship.

ohreally
07-19-2013, 10:20 PM
I still think a healthy and whole Bulls team w/ Rose is at least the second best team in the East, but I gotta see how Brooklyn plays first. Still too many questions about them that need to be answered.

So you're ranking the Heat at 3?

NYMetropolitans
07-19-2013, 10:26 PM
No.

ohreally
07-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Im not sure there could be more false confidence in this thread.

Well,c'mon, isn't the same true for any Knicks thread of he last four years and change?

cssdmark
07-19-2013, 11:17 PM
No. They are favored to finish 5th in the East

Munkeysuit
07-19-2013, 11:35 PM
There is no denying the Nets have a formidable team but the Heat are the favorites at this point.
We been through this for how many years? even the Heat fell in the 1st season coming together...give the Nets some time to play out some games before making any real statements concerning this topic.

Remember that awesome team the Lakers had last season? ...yea...just have some patience, and let's see how this Brooklyn super team plays out.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 12:28 AM
No. They are favored to finish 5th in the East

Surely, after finishing fourth last season, the many improvements the Nets have made to their weakest spots will drop them one slot going into the playoffs.

bucketss
07-20-2013, 12:36 AM
they added two senior citizens after getting beat by a depleted bulls team....

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 12:57 AM
I think Andrei Kirilenko made the difference. Before i found out about AK47 i was not sold and felt that our defense was just too reliant on Garnett. Against MIA in particular the teams that had the most success had strong post players but they also had a strong defense and i just felt that we were lacking in the latter department. AK changes the Nets in many ways.

For one thing the teams that had success vs the Heat had a body to throw at Lebron that could divert him and play smart defense on him. Kawhi Leonard and Paul George did amazing jobs defending Lebron. By defending Lebron i just mean not letting him go off for a 30pt triple double. You cant stop Lebron but having a solid wing defender that can play him smartly is important and i feel AK47 provides us with this.

in addition AK is an amazing help defender and team defender just like Garnett. Our defense when both those guys are on the floor should be pretty good.

Which brings me to my last point. All the teams that had success vs the Heat still had no answers for MIA small ball. I dont know if there are any teams that had an answer for it. The Nets now do imo because AK plays even better as a PF

Against MIA a lineup of Deron, JJ, Pierce, AK47, and Garnett to close out games would not only stand up to them but also beat them imo because this lineup compliments each other amazingly and is built to play great defense with a very efficient offense. Who could the Heat even double and trap off of? I guess AK would be the safest bet since he struggles to shoot the 3 but then again he is a very intelligent player. If you double off him he will already be cutting to the basket and looking for the pass to score or make a play. 4 of 5 players on that lineup can handle the ball and all 5 can pass and have great basketball iq

Andrei Kirilenko was the piece that made me say "damn the Nets could actually present a problem for MIA!"

All this being said you CANNOT have the Nets as the favorites. The Heat are rightfully the favorites followed by the Nets. I think people overrate the Bulls tbh. Yea they beat us but that might as well have been a different team. Last years Nets were very easy to defend. Double and trap off of Wallace and/or Reggie and secure the rebound. It was that simple.The Nets were also so soft. They are a very different team now and meanwhile the Bulls even when they had the top seed with a healthy Rose, what did they do in the playoffs? Nothing. Because while their defense is amazing, their offense is just not consistent enough even with Rose, to keep up with the Heat. The Nets will be better in the playoffs than the Bulls and maybe in the season as well.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 01:40 AM
they added two senior citizens after getting beat by a depleted bulls team....

You think those two senior citizens aren't a vast improvement over the players the Nets had at their positions last season?

You think the Nets bench isn't deeper than it was last season?

the avenger
07-20-2013, 03:13 AM
with lopez and garnett inside, along with evans and ak47 on the bench, i think brooklyn will dominate inside and on the boards against the heat.

this

lamzoka
07-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Lebron > the whole nets roster combine

KnickaBocka.44
07-20-2013, 06:46 AM
The amount of speculation in this thread is completely mind boggling.

Goose17
07-20-2013, 09:44 AM
No.

uprightciti
07-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Nets are favorites to dance with Miami but...no body can stop Lebron. I presume Bosh will get traded this deadline or he will have to step up his game 5x. Wade is a lot like Pierce, getting old. Deron is a solid pg but he has lost his star power and lost a step as well. If I am a betting man, Lopez is there xfactor and only all star. In order to win Lopez must thrive.

Hellcrooner
07-20-2013, 10:57 AM
if they can forget bout their egos and play like a team and have every starter and 6th and 7th man average between 10 and 15 points they should win the ring.

D-Leethal
07-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Nets will be the 5 seed and lose to the Bulls again next year.

farren.louis
07-20-2013, 11:26 AM
The Rockets are the favorites

Hellcrooner
07-20-2013, 11:31 AM
The Rockets are the favorites

with wich bench?

Hardaway Here
07-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Nets are favorites to dance with Miami but...no body can stop Lebron. I presume Bosh will get traded this deadline or he will have to step up his game 5x. Wade is a lot like Pierce, getting old. Deron is a solid pg but he has lost his star power and lost a step as well. If I am a betting man, Lopez is there xfactor and only all star. In order to win Lopez must thrive.

Wade when injured is better than a healthy Pierce don't compare them. As far as Nets go I reserve judgment til Season starts

4milesperday
07-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Lets not act like Jason Kidd is not their coach...you put together a All Star cast then you went out and get a rookie coach? Who is running the Nets?

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Lets not act like Jason Kidd is not their coach...you put together a All Star cast then you went out and get a rookie coach? Who is running the Nets?

Some rich guy looking to make a big splash in NYC.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Some rich guy looking to make a big splash in NYC.

There seems to be a lot of salty salty in this thread

kobe4thewinbang
07-20-2013, 02:07 PM
What is the deal with these gullible posts?

They got two aging stars. Miami is clearly still the top dog in the east.

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
What is the deal with these gullible posts?

They got two aging stars. Miami is clearly still the top dog in the east.

Yep jusr like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
There seems to be a lot of salty salty in this thread

But Nets are owned by some rich guy trying to make a big splash in NYC, right?

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-20-2013, 02:35 PM
This is the Nets roster, a lot of you are forgetting players. Especially the likes of Blatche and Terry.

DWill/Livingston/Taylor
JJ/Terry
Pierce/AK47/Toko
Garnett/Evans/Mirza
Lopez/Blatche/Plumlee

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Yep jusr like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker

So you're comparing Paul Pierce to Tony Parker who is 5 years younger and was a legitimate MVP candidate and Kevin Garnett to first team all pro Tim Duncan. What an incompetent post...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 03:06 PM
But Nets are owned by some rich guy trying to make a big splash in NYC, right?

Umm the splash was made a long time ago. At this point that rich guy is making a splash in the entire league as he wipes his *** with the CBA and the luxury taxes that every other owner is terrified at.

You think big time players do not notice this? Everyone around the league has noticed. Even if you are not buying into the Nets' amazing lineup right now, you will when you see the type of players Mikhail Prokhorov will attract to his team with his cool aura and willingness to spend anything and everything in order to win.

In Prokhorov's own words "There is only one place. First place."

#Durant2016

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 03:10 PM
So you're comparing Paul Pierce to Tony Parker who is 5 years younger and was a legitimate MVP candidate and Kevin Garnett to first team all pro Tim Duncan. What an incompetent post...

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nah I'm comparing Deron Williams to Tony Parker. I guess you can compare Paul Pierce to Danny Green except PP is still better.

John Walls Era
07-20-2013, 03:13 PM
lol the great: < or > argument.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Nah I'm comparing Deron Williams to Tony Parker. I guess you can compare Paul Pierce to Danny Green except PP is still better.

But the Spurs have a real coach.

koreancabbage
07-20-2013, 03:18 PM

no. Tony Parker is better than Deron Williams --> the majority consensus. on PSD and in the majority of people's list. Deron is a very talented PG and i would say he's more skilled than Parker but playing great for half a season last year does not cut it. only Nets fans and select few think Williams is better Parker otherwise.

Danny Green is not as dynamic as Paul Pierce but when was the last time Pierce was dynamic at all? Danny Green shot a historic amount of threes in the Finals and is a up-and-coming player in the league. Paul Pierce is on the downfall and time is not on his side or his body.

and plus, Popovich is the best coach in the league. You can't compare the two teams. I would take Duncan over KG any day of the week.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 03:21 PM
The Nets look really good on paper but there's one thing I want Nets fans to clarify. This is minor but has been annoying the hell out of me. Why are so many Nets fans acting like Shaun Livingston is a really good backup? He can't shoot, isn't particularly good at passing the ball, is injury prone. There is a reason that this will be his 8th NBA team. Do any Nets fans feel like they should get one more PG? They have Taylor but he looked terrible in the summer league and can't get the ball in the basket.

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 03:22 PM
no. Tony Parker is better than Deron Williams --> the majority consensus. on PSD and in the majority of people's list. Deron is a very talented PG and i would say he's more skilled than Parker but playing great for half a season last year does not cut it. only Nets fans and select few think Williams is better Parker otherwise.

Danny Green is not as dynamic as Paul Pierce but when was the last time Pierce was dynamic at all? Danny Green shot a historic amount of threes in the Finals and is a up-and-coming player in the league. Paul Pierce is on the downfall and time is not on his side or his body.

and plus, Popovich is the best coach in the league. You can't compare the two teams. I would take Duncan over KG any day of the week.
I dont care what the consensus on PSD is. It's pretty obvious with equal talent around them Deron is a much more dynamicPG when he is 100% healthy than Tony Parker..

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Why do you pick Danny Green? You should compare Kawhi with PP and it's obvious who's better at this stage.

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 03:23 PM
But the Spurs have a real coach.

J.Kidd isn't a real coach?

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Why do you pick Danny Green? You should compare Kawhi with PP and it's obvious who's better at this stage.

Then I guess I could compare Brook Lopez to Tim Duncan which at this stage is equal and KG to Boris Diaw

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Poor wording on my part, what I meant was proven coach. Pop is easily the best coach in the NBA while Kidd has never even been an assistant coach.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 03:26 PM

So far he's kinda coached a summer league team

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Then I guess I could compare Brook Lopez to Tim Duncan which at this stage is equal and KG to Boris Diaw

Well... Duncan is a lot better than Brook. But I guess since KG will supposedly make Brook into the Dwight Howard of defense he will now be better.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Umm the splash was made a long time ago. At this point that rich guy is making a splash in the entire league as he wipes his *** with the CBA and the luxury taxes that every other owner is terrified at.

You think big time players do not notice this? Everyone around the league has noticed. Even if you are not buying into the Nets' amazing lineup right now, you will when you see the type of players Mikhail Prokhorov will attract to his team with his cool aura and willingness to spend anything and everything in order to win.

In Prokhorov's own words "There is only one place. First place."

#Durant2016

Long ago??????? Nets have been in Brooklyn for one year.

And Proky has acted totally within the rules of the new CBA.

And the owners of teams under the luxury tax can't wait to split up Proky's luxury tax money.

koreancabbage
07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I dont care what the consensus on PSD is. It's pretty obvious with equal talent around them Deron is a much more dynamicPG when he is 100% healthy than Tony Parker..

not even on PSD. everywhere. go find multiple respectable sources on where Deron is ranked higher than Parker. we all know Deron Williams is a more dynamic PG but Parker is a winning PG. Parker's overall career and production and a career only known as a winner shats on Deron Williams any day.

Parker is a winner.
Deron is not.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 03:59 PM
The Nets look really good on paper but there's one thing I want Nets fans to clarify. This is minor but has been annoying the hell out of me. Why are so many Nets fans acting like Shaun Livingston is a really good backup? He can't shoot, isn't particularly good at passing the ball, is injury prone. There is a reason that this will be his 8th NBA team. Do any Nets fans feel like they should get one more PG? They have Taylor but he looked terrible in the summer league and can't get the ball in the basket.

Well considering Deron Williams is gonna get 32+ minutes per game we are talking about a small amount of minutes. idk much about Livingston but from what i can gather he is a pass first PG and we dont need him to score off the bench. We need him to run the offense when he comes in. We have Terry, AK47, Blatche, and Mirza who can all score in a variety of ways. Livingston just has to run the bench offense

I agree that Taylor has looked terrible. Very selfish stupid player

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 04:00 PM

I love Kawhi Leonard as a player.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Long ago??????? Nets have been in Brooklyn for one year.

And Proky has acted totally within the rules of the new CBA.

And the owners of teams under the luxury tax can't wait to split up Proky's luxury tax money.

Idk what you are trying to tell me. That Prokhorov should feel stupid because people assume he doesnt know his money is being used to support bottom feeding teams? I am sure he knows how it works and i am also sure he doesnt care as long as he has the best roster possible he can buy.

What i mean by the CBA is that it was meant to stop all this spending by big market teams and it actually has. The new CBA and luxury tax penalties have effectively stopped 29 teams from buying championship rosters.

See this is where it pays to be a competitive billionaire sports owner. Only other owner i can think of who is like this is Cuban but he doesnt have the resources to do it like Prokhorov. Most other owners are businessmen first and competitors second. Prokhorov at the press conference said that he will spend even more. He said whatever the team needs him to spend he will spend it.

People call him stupid. Why is he stupid? He is a basketball loving mad Russian that has no kids, no wife and about 13-22 billion dollars to his name. He is a business man yes but unlike most owners he is a competitor first. He lost so much money when he first bought the Nets. He did not care. He gained it all back "five-fold" according to him.

Think of the competitive and impulsive nature of Mark Cuban with his player friendly ways, put him in the largest market in the world, and give him about 12 more billion dollars to play with. What do you get? You get a very dangerous owner who cannot be matched by any other owner in the league. That is Mikhail Prokhorov

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Idk what you are trying to tell me. That Prokhorov should feel stupid because people assume he doesnt know his money is being used to support bottom feeding teams? I am sure he knows how it works and i am also sure he doesnt care as long as he has the best roster possible he can buy.

What i mean by the CBA is that it was meant to stop all this spending by big market teams and it actually has. The new CBA and luxury tax penalties have effectively stopped 29 teams from buying championship rosters.

See this is where it pays to be a competitive billionaire sports owner. Only other owner i can think of who is like this is Cuban but he doesnt have the resources to do it like Prokhorov. Most other owners are businessmen first and competitors second. Prokhorov at the press conference said that he will spend even more. He said whatever the team needs him to spend he will spend it.

People call him stupid. Why is he stupid? He is a basketball loving mad Russian that has no kids, no wife and about 13-22 billion dollars to his name. He is a business man yes but unlike most owners he is a competitor first. He lost so much money when he first bought the Nets. He did not care. He gained it all back "five-fold" according to him.

Think of the competitive and impulsive nature of Mark Cuban with his player friendly ways, put him in the largest market in the world, and give him about 12 more billion dollars to play with. What do you get? You get a very dangerous owner who cannot be matched by any other owner in the league. That is Mikhail Prokhorov

I am trying to tell you the truth.

The Nets are owned by a rich guy who is trying to make a big splash in NYC?

Why do you have a problem with that statement?

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 04:46 PM
I am trying to tell you the truth.

The Nets are owned by a rich guy who is trying to make a big splash in NYC?

Why do you have a problem with that statement?

Because he is not making a splash in only NY. Prokhorov is making a splash in the whole league

KnickaBocka.44
07-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Proky is just another reckless billionaire, but he's from Russia and has a shady past so people think he is so much more dangerous and cool then he really is. He'll be viewed no differently than James Dolan once the team fails to win a championship and they are back to being bottom feeders.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Proky is just another reckless billionaire, but he's from Russia and has a shady past so people think he is so much more dangerous and cool then he really is. He'll be viewed no differently than James Dolan once the team fails to win a championship and they are back to being bottom feeders.

Except Dolan is an idiot that barely knows basketball and Prokhorov not only has the respect of players for his commanding presence but because he knows the game. Prokhorov is a basketball fan unlike most owners. He cares about his team winning unlike Dolan who could care less since the Knicks are profitable no matter what.

Prokhorv and Dolan are not comparable. Prokhorov is respected by both players and basketball suits. Dolan is laughed at. Did you watch the press conference? None of the players knew Prokhorov was there and when he went on stage you could see the admiration from Garnett, Pierce, and Terry.

Dolan wishes he were so respected by the players.

As far as money nothing can be blamed on Prokhorov because the other aspect of his ownership style is that he doesnt interfere. He lets the general managers do their jobs and just signs the checks. He is the perfect NBA owner. If this roster fails to win a title (which to me the odds are like 50-50 tbh) it will not be because Prokhorov somehow has made a mistake. It would more likely be because Lebron James is that damn good and Billy King could find no way to get around that fact.

Prokhorov is a freaking boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wbj6bxiwsM&feature=youtu.be&noredirect=1

@ 22:50 when he makes his entrance you can see the surprise and admiration by the players. Players that havent even met him yet.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Because he is not making a splash in only NY. Prokhorov is making a splash in the whole league

Other than other owners splitting up Proky's money, what is the splash that he has made around the league.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Other than other owners splitting up Proky's money, what is the splash that he has made around the league.

What are you stupid? he is a level above every other owner because he is the only owner in the entire NBA that has shown the willingness to spend at these levels. You cannot see the competitive advantage in that? Not sure if you are trolling or just DMF

ChitownBears22
07-20-2013, 05:50 PM
hahaha no. You got older. Those Celtics players you gained were tired by the second half of every Knicks games in that series. Not only that but the Nets got bounced by a Rose-less Bulls.

Summary- Celtics players you gained were old and scored 25 points in the second half of games in the playoffs. Net played poor in the playoffs. Nets are a 6-8 seed at best and they will be a first round exit. Quote me and then bow down to me when I am right next April.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 05:58 PM
What are you stupid? he is a level above every other owner because he is the only owner in the entire NBA that has shown the willingness to spend at these levels. You cannot see the competitive advantage in that? Not sure if you are trolling or just DMF

Are you saying that Proky is the only owner paying the luxury tax, gidrool?

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Are you saying that Proky is the only owner paying the luxury tax, gidrool?

$80 million in luxury tax. Yes

abe_froman
07-20-2013, 06:07 PM
did lebron die or something? lol. are the nets contenders? sure ,but the champs are the favorites til lebron declines

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 06:08 PM
$80 million in luxury tax. Yes

And that's the big splash? LOL!!!!!!!

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 06:13 PM
And that's the big splash? LOL!!!!!!!

You must be trolling or stupid. or both

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-20-2013, 06:14 PM

This.

I have no problem saying that on paper they are easily the 2nd best team in the East.

Just how good they actually are is up to debate but they have all the pieces in place to be a very scary playoff team if they can gel quickly enough.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 06:18 PM
You must be trolling or stupid. or both

Oh Silly Chili Willie, you are a hoot. Thank you for the laughs.

All-In
07-20-2013, 06:54 PM
The Heat are still the favorites. All I was hearing before the finals was how the spurs have the better “team”. Sometimes having the best player in the world trumps all of that. I like what the nest have done. Getting a deeper bench is really going to help out KG and PP. KG can’t play 30 mins a night anymore and if Kidd was smart he should rest him on some back to backs like pop…worked out fine for him. Its about the chip not reg season games…….And Chill Will 24 has to relax about porky. Spending a **** ton of money doesn’t mean you’re a good owner. There COULD be an advantage to it but look at the Angles or Dodgers. Are those owners considered a level above every other owner? Drafting wise, developing those picks, signing veterans and having a team identity executed by all levels of management. Spurs, Bulls, Indy, Mem, OKC and to some extent the Heat all do that. IDK what the Nets team identity is. It takes time but if their able to find one and stick to it their a legit contender.

JOhnnyTHaJet
07-20-2013, 07:22 PM
hahaha no. You got older. Those Celtics players you gained were tired by the second half of every Knicks games in that series. Not only that but the Nets got bounced by a Rose-less Bulls.

Summary- Celtics players you gained were old and scored 25 points in the second half of games in the playoffs. Net played poor in the playoffs. Nets are a 6-8 seed at best and they will be a first round exit. Quote me and then bow down to me when I am right next April.
This is my favorite post in this thread. 6-8th seed, I love it.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Its different in baseball. In basketball the cap and taxes have made owners shy from spending. Prokhorov is a boss. Its ok to hate him. Many ppl do

I agree that as long as Lebron is around his team will be the favorites. However Prokhorov will be an NBA owner long after Lebron has retired and then what? Either way you spin it Prokhorov's competitive win at all costs spending is winning him many fans among players, GM's, and coaches. Combine that with Brooklyn and you have the makings of an NBA power brewing.

He already has his sights set in Kevin Durant. You dont think Durant wont take a hard look? Especially after OKC showed their true colors by trading Harden?

Prokhorov is a game changer. More so than any player we have acquired or even Brooklyn itself. The owner who is willing to spend everything to win is what will drive the Nets in the long run long after Lebron is gone.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-20-2013, 07:27 PM

hahah were you the same guy who thought Kwahi Leanord was gonna be the reason Spurs lost the Finals?

ChitownBears22
07-20-2013, 07:41 PM
hahah were you the same guy who thought Kwahi Leanord was gonna be the reason Spurs lost the Finals?

Leonard was the reason the Spurs lost the finals. How many open 3's did lebron bang down on him game 7. hahaha I was right. suck it.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Leonard was the reason the Spurs lost the finals. How many open 3's did lebron bang down on him game 7. hahaha I was right. suck it.

I remember when I was in middle school.

EDIT: Found the quote from #1 Giants fan sig for all those who want a good laugh:

Kawhi is going to get murdered by Lebron. He is going to make a name for himself, as the guy who cost the Spurs a championship. Guy is garbage on defense.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Its different in baseball. In basketball the cap and taxes have made owners shy from spending. Prokhorov is a boss. Its ok to hate him. Many ppl do

I agree that as long as Lebron is around his team will be the favorites. However Prokhorov will be an NBA owner long after Lebron has retired and then what? Either way you spin it Prokhorov's competitive win at all costs spending is winning him many fans among players, GM's, and coaches. Combine that with Brooklyn and you have the makings of an NBA power brewing.

He already has his sights set in Kevin Durant. You dont think Durant wont take a hard look? Especially after OKC showed their true colors by trading Harden?

Prokhorov is a game changer. More so than any player we have acquired or even Brooklyn itself. The owner who is willing to spend everything to win is what will drive the Nets in the long run long after Lebron is gone.

Who hates him? He's just the rich guy who owns the Nets and is trying to make a big splash in NYC.

Proky had his sights set on 'Melo & Dwight also, no?

R. Johnson#3
07-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Lebron just won't miss

ChitownBears22
07-20-2013, 07:54 PM
I remember when I was in middle school.

EDIT: Found the quote from #1 Giants fan sig for all those who want a good laugh:

I guess you forgot LeBron going balls deep in KL game 7. Costing the spurs the finals

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Lebron just won't miss

Except the game-tying airball in game 6

TheThrill
07-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Any time a team goes out and gets multiple "all stars", there is always a great chance that team will have a much better season. Time will tell with this team due to the fact we haven't seen this team play together yet. I think they'll compete but won't win it all this year.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-20-2013, 07:57 PM
I guess you forgot LeBron going balls deep in KL game 7. Costing the spurs the finals

Stubborn is as stubborn does.

maddBat
07-20-2013, 07:58 PM
as a nets fan. id love to agree with u. but the heat r the champs. favorite to win is always reigning champs. the nets do look good on paper. only time will tell and mid season is when ull know how good they will be.

ChitownBears22
07-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Stubborn is as stubborn does.

Did Leonard not get dominated game 7? I believe he did. Most people saw him slack off LeBron and it cost his team a championship.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 08:00 PM
as a nets fan. id love to agree with u. but the heat r the champs. favorite to win is always reigning champs. the nets do look good on paper. only time will tell and mid season is when ull know how good they will be.

Don't think Mavs were the favorites to win it in '11-'12

JerseyPalahniuk
07-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Did Leonard not get dominated game 7? I believe he did. Most people saw him slack off LeBron and it cost his team a championship.

So lets for the sake of idiotic argument tactics, use your debating methods. You also said that Bosh was gonna school Duncan and score a lot against him.

How many points did Bosh score in game 7? Again just like you imply... the rest of the games don't matter at ALL to prove one's point..neither does any other facet of how the player plays.

Or do you just hate to be wrong man? Hate to consider that you MIGHT have exaggerated a bit when you called a player absolute trash on defense when going against best player in the world and holding his own for 6 games. Hmmm. Just man up and admit you were wrong dude. If you make any attempt at an argument still saying Kwahi is trash on defense then consider this my last post regarding this topic.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Who hates him? He's just the rich guy who owns the Nets and is trying to make a big splash in NYC.

That was before the move to Brooklyn. NO ONE in the league thought that the Nets would become what they are now with the COMPLETE 180 degree turn in branding, marketing, arena (2nd grossing Arena in the world last year behind one in London), etc. All the free agents of that Lebron summer also weren't sold on this change. I wouldn't have either if I was them from their recent history and how awful of an arena the Prudential Center was (pretty sure bottom 3 in attendance in the league). Extremely happy that we don't have Melo and got the plan "B" in Dwill thought.

And Dwight is a whole different story man. I'm sure you read about how he WANTED to come but Magic wouldn't accept any trade (The offer off Lopez, Hump, Brooks, Wallace and 3 1st round picks doesn't looks so bad doesn it?). Dwight then foolishly opted in for the year which then forced management to trade him that summer when it was sure he didnt want to come back. Again, extremely happy we got Plan "B" in Lopez (my favorite Net).

GiantsSwaGG
07-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Did you forget if it wasn't for Ray Allen, the series is over. LeBron was basically non existent until game 7. Leonard proved he's going to be an elite defender

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Correction. He had his sights on Melo while they were still rotting in NJ and Dwight had eyes for us. The fact that we tried hard to get him is inconsequential because it was by Dwight's own error that he did not end up in Brooklyn and the Nets moved on happy with Lopez and wound up with a better team imo

Brooklyn is a lure now. Thats just the way it is. People wanna play here. It sells itself. However prokhorov is THE lure. Every NBA type and player wants to be with him.

Many articles i have read in the last few days since the press that describe how he is viewed by NBA types and players.

As long as Prokhorov owns the Nets, the Nets will always be an NBA power. Which is why i laugh when people mention the picks we gave up to BOS. The Nets will not be a lottery team for a looooong time. We are now a retooling team not a rebuilding team. You have to be a really stupid team to be in a huge market with a profitable team, a great city and a filthy rich competitive owner and end up in the lottery

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Any time a team goes out and gets multiple "all stars", there is always a great chance that team will have a much better season. Time will tell with this team due to the fact we haven't seen this team play together yet. I think they'll compete but won't win it all this year.

When the weak link in your starting lineup is Joe Johnson, you are a contender. Its that simple to me

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 08:37 PM
That was before the move to Brooklyn. NO ONE in the league thought that the Nets would become what they are now with the COMPLETE 180 degree turn in branding, marketing, arena (2nd grossing Arena in the world last year behind one in London), etc. All the free agents of that Lebron summer also weren't sold on this change. I wouldn't have either if I was them from their recent history and how awful of an arena the Prudential Center was (pretty sure bottom 3 in attendance in the league). Extremely happy that we don't have Melo and got the plan "B" in Dwill thought.

And Dwight is a whole different story man. I'm sure you read about how he WANTED to come but Magic wouldn't accept any trade (The offer off Lopez, Hump, Brooks, Wallace and 3 1st round picks doesn't looks so bad doesn it?). Dwight then foolishly opted in for the year which then forced management to trade him that summer when it was sure he didnt want to come back. Again, extremely happy we got Plan "B" in Lopez (my favorite Net).

I would rather have:

Deron
JJ
Pierce
Garnett
Lopez

Than

Deron
JJ
Turkoglu
Teletovic
Dwight

More proof as if it were needed that Mikhail Prokhorov's refusal to lose and settle and his willingness to spend anything to win is what truly makes the Nets a top tier team. Him along with playing in NY is just an advantage that nobody else has. We will ALWAYS attract the best players as long as we are in Brooklyn with Prokhorov as owner

All-In
07-20-2013, 08:39 PM

If Prokhorov is a game changer than why sign Jason Kidd as your head coach? I think coaching is underrated. Look at the past 20 years (or more) of coaches that have won the finals. They all know what they are doing; how to mange a team, instill an identity, maximize potential. Yea it helps having elite talent but coaches have had a lot of talent before and lost. Do you really trust Jason Kidd?

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Did you forget if it wasn't for Ray Allen, the series is over. LeBron was basically non existent until game 7. Leonard proved he's going to be an elite defender

Yup. That clown is acting like defending Lebron is as easy as it seems on 2k13. Pop instructed Leonard to sag off. I mean it is a testament to how hard Lebron works. He has a reliable jumper now. There is no defending that man. It takes the whole team. Leonard did an admirable job.

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 08:55 PM
If Prokhorov is a game changer than why sign Jason Kidd as your head coach? I think coaching is underrated. Look at the past 20 years (or more) of coaches that have won the finals. They all know what they are doing; how to mange a team, instill an identity, maximize potential. Yea it helps having elite talent but coaches have had a lot of talent before and lost. Do you really trust Jason Kidd?

Well this is all going under the assumption of doom and gloom that ppl paint when they say Kidd will fail and etc. but i actually think coaching is OVERRATED. The best coach in the league just lost to the Heat whose coach i dont think is that great. Doc Rivers? Nope not there. Rick Carlile? Didnt even make the playoffs. Tom Thibs? Didnt make it either.

Coaches are great when they institute a philosophy which is what Kidd has been preaching from day one. He has already said he wants to eliminate ISO and he wants the team to play selfless. He is saying all the right things. I am not saying he will be good because i honestly have no clue. He has the respect of all his peers and every person that knows him or has worked with him has said he will be successful. The only people doubting him are the fans and the pundits.

His transition will be interesting to watch but lets not forget that Prokhorov (damn im jocking this guy hard lately. Can you blame me?) also invested top dollar in the best coaching staff for Kidd possible. He got Frank who is an excellent x and o's guy and a great motivator and a workhorse. He will probably be in charge of the practice sessions and stuff until Kidd gets the hang. they also got Roy Rogers back who was the big man coach when Lopez was at his best during his first 2 years and who helped groom those Detroit bigs last few years. John Welch who was the top assistant for George Karl and his offensive coordinator.

I am missing a few but point is Kidd has a veteran support system on the bench to guide him and he has also been blessed with some very talented high iq veteran stars to make his transition even easier.

Kidd will be fine. I trust the dozens of players that have spoken out on Kidd and how intelligent he is and what a great coaching mind he has.

All this being said if the Nets really did want a rookie coach they should have at least interviewed Brad Stevens. Damn that guy is a good coach. BOS was ahead of the curve on that one. I see the guy becoming a top 3 NBA coach in a few years

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Yeah it's funny everyone saying Jason Kidd is a bad coach or a weak link. The best player-coach of his generation and the reason why Pierce and KG waived there no trade clauses to BK.

Bmoss12
07-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah it's funny everyone saying Jason Kidd is a bad coach or a weak link. The best player-coach of his generation and the reason why Pierce and KG waived there no trade clauses to BK.

I think Doc Rivers being gone with no chance to sign to Clips had more to do with it.

ohreally
07-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Pierce didn't have a no-trade clause. And I'm pretty sure the fact that the team already had strong players played a bigger role than Kidd. Kidd is definitely the weak link and he still makes it difficult for me to truly adopt the team, even if I do have the utmost respect for Pierce and Garnett.

The one positive, I would hope, is that, if anything, Kidd should know how to get the most out of Terry.

Kashmir13579
07-20-2013, 09:19 PM
they aren't better than the Bulls or Pacers, and definitely not the Heat.

Also, the Knicks might be better.

GiantsSwaGG
07-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Yup. That clown is acting like defending Lebron is as easy as it seems on 2k13. Pop instructed Leonard to sag off. I mean it is a testament to how hard Lebron works. He has a reliable jumper now. There is no defending that man. It takes the whole team. Leonard did an admirable job.

He's a troll and complains when other posters troll him.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Well this is all going under the assumption of doom and gloom that ppl paint when they say Kidd will fail and etc. but i actually think coaching is OVERRATED. The best coach in the league just lost to the Heat whose coach i dont think is that great. Doc Rivers? Nope not there. Rick Carlile? Didnt even make the playoffs. Tom Thibs? Didnt make it either.

Coaches are great when they institute a philosophy which is what Kidd has been preaching from day one. He has already said he wants to eliminate ISO and he wants the team to play selfless. He is saying all the right things. I am not saying he will be good because i honestly have no clue. He has the respect of all his peers and every person that knows him or has worked with him has said he will be successful. The only people doubting him are the fans and the pundits.

His transition will be interesting to watch but lets not forget that Prokhorov (damn im jocking this guy hard lately. Can you blame me?) also invested top dollar in the best coaching staff for Kidd possible. He got Frank who is an excellent x and o's guy and a great motivator and a workhorse. He will probably be in charge of the practice sessions and stuff until Kidd gets the hang. they also got Roy Rogers back who was the big man coach when Lopez was at his best during his first 2 years and who helped groom those Detroit bigs last few years. John Welch who was the top assistant for George Karl and his offensive coordinator.

I am missing a few but point is Kidd has a veteran support system on the bench to guide him and he has also been blessed with some very talented high iq veteran stars to make his transition even easier.

Kidd will be fine. I trust the dozens of players that have spoken out on Kidd and how intelligent he is and what a great coaching mind he has.

All this being said if the Nets really did want a rookie coach they should have at least interviewed Brad Stevens. Damn that guy is a good coach. BOS was ahead of the curve on that one. I see the guy becoming a top 3 NBA coach in a few years

I'm confused... the Heat had a younger and more talented roster than the Spurs and still almost lost so I hugely credit that to Pop. Additionally a Bulls team without Luol Deng, Derrick Rose, and a hobbling Noah defeated everyone's beloved Nets. The team played amazing defense and Tibs can be credited for that. Coaching is not overrated, maybe underrated especially in the playoffs. They have to switch game plans around in a 7 game series and it's not easy to do.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 09:32 PM

Oh, you know them?

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
I think Doc Rivers being gone with no chance to sign to Clips had more to do with it.

This i do agree with. Garnett loves Rivers to death

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 09:37 PM
they aren't better than the Bulls or Pacers, and definitely not the Heat.

Also, the Knicks might be better.

lmao god i love this Knicks-Nets rivalry

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Oh, you know them?

Kidd has not coached one game, and player/coaches are no longer allowed.

Certainly a leader on the court, but no one has ever claimed Kidd was a leader off the court.

But but being a Net fan, I am naturally hoping for the best

Chill_Will_24
07-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm confused... the Heat had a younger and more talented roster than the Spurs and still almost lost so I hugely credit that to Pop. Additionally a Bulls team without Luol Deng, Derrick Rose, and a hobbling Noah defeated everyone's beloved Nets. The team played amazing defense and Tibs can be credited for that. Coaching is not overrated, maybe underrated especially in the playoffs. They have to switch game plans around in a 7 game series and it's not easy to do.

Im not saying coaching doesnt count for anything. A great coach does make a difference however when you get to the big time games against the elite competition ill take talent over coaching anyday. A coach when he can put his imprint and instill his philosophies on an elite roster can be a difference maker but without the players the coach is nothing.

And no the Nets did not get beat because of the Bulls coaching. They got beat because they had a fundamental problem; they lacked heart and toughness. The Nets last year did not know how to fight and win games. A big portion of the games we lost were games we were winning right till the end and then the pther team fought. We were soft. Just an FYI. I mean defending the Nets was as simple as double off of Reggie Evans or Gerald Wallace and secure the rebound

Back on the coaching thing i dont doubt that i am worried about how Kidd will perform but the way his peers talk about him and the way Kidd has spoken has assured me at least for the time being that it will be ok. He has the guidance of a top veteran coaching staff and top tier high iq talent on the court who all respect him.

seikou8
07-20-2013, 09:50 PM
lmao god i love this Knicks-Nets rivalry

bring on *****

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 10:00 PM
bring on *****

Have hated the Knicks for a long time, as I was once a resident of the greater NY Metropolitan area

During the worst of Nets seasons, wins over the Knicks would make the entire season for me.

DVDed a Nets-Knicks game from the 12 win season. Nets, entering the Garden with six wins, totally, and I mean TOTALLY demolished the Knicks in front of the Knicks crowd.

I try to watch that game every one or two months.

Punk
07-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Here is pretty much in depth break down of why the Nets are extremely improved:

1. Let's get this out the way: Heat fans, I know you will come attacking me for this but....Fact is, the Spurs LOST the championship. The Heat did not exactly earn the win. They were given unbelievable luck to win Game 6 which was quite honestly over at one point until the Spurs couldn't make free throws or grab defensive rebounds due to Pop's brain fart there with Duncan on the bench. Yes, the Heat won Game 7 fair and square which was very very obvious after that Game 6 choke job by the Spurs. The Heat BARELY made the Finals for the 2nd year in a row. It took LeBron's heroics to get them over the hump in two consecutive seasons against the Celtics and Pacers.

The blueprint to beat or put yourself in a position to win a series against the Miami Heat is clearly obvious. The Thunder did not have that blueprint. Like it or not, the Nets have followed that blueprint. They have all the pieces right now to do it as long as the Heat stay currently constructed.

2. The Nets not being able to to get beat the Bulls was obvious. You will NEVER win a series playing 3 on 5 offensively. Go ask Memphis with Prince/Tony Allen. The Nets biggest problem all season long with their last roster was the fact, they had 3 offensive weapons and 2 liability on offense. Wallace shot 28% post all-star break from 3. Reggie Evans was just an offensive cancer. The Bulls literally IGNORED them.

Then, the Nets sucked defensively. So, image having a thin bench because your coaching staff refuses to develop young talent like Marshon Brooks over Jerry Stackhouse WHILE having to work HARD for offense then giving up baskets easily.

What this trade does is not only allow the Nets to play 5 on 5 offensively, it allows KG to play his natural position defensively to combine with Brook Lopez shot blocking (7th in the league). Now, they finally have interior defense instead of allowing Reggie Evans to get torched by Carlos Boozer or David West (fun fact: Kris Humphries was their best PF one on one defender in the POs).

AK47 gives them what Gerald Wallace gave them but MUCH MUCH better IQ, polish, efficiency and ability to finish around the rim. Wallace is not a good help defender while AK47 is. His best defense comes against isolation where he can come in and block a shot or contest a shot without having to fully double. That's how extremely mobile and long he is.

Blatche was going to be their starting PF before the trade and Blatche alongside Lopez reordered a Defensive rating of 99 which is damn good. So, you basically have a starting quality big man coming off the bench. Reggie Evans goes back to his normal role coming off a career season AND had the 2nd highest rebounding rate season of all time. Which is incredible.

Livingston is a better quality backup PG. He has way more in his skill set than CJ Watson. Then, Jason Terry on his worst season still manages to replace the production OF CJ Watson as both had identical stats.

If Kidd wants to get up and down the floor and play with some younger fresher legs? He can go to his bench and put out a lineup of Tyshawn Taylor, Livingston, Toko Shengelia, Mirza Teletovic, Mason Plumlee. That lineup alone can come in and add energy and compete against fresh legs. All have talent and a decent ceiling to be quality players.

You cannot literally double team anyone on their roster. Every single player can beat you in so many ways. If you take out Pierce and put in Kirilenko, he can cut to the rim, finish lob dunks, run the floor with Deron. If you put in Blatche, he can score and beat his man off the dribble, if you put in Evans and KG. You get lockdown defense and rebounding (Boston's biggest weakness under the KG era was rebounding).

I've also heard the Nets aren't done making moves either. This team is extremely deep. Nothing like last year assuming they gel and everyone stays relatively healthy. I can't say they are the favorites because the Heat are the champions and the Pacers deserve respect for what they did BUT they will leapfrog everyone not named Miami once they begin to gel and if healthy.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 10:24 PM

1. Let's get this out the way: Heat fans, I know you will come attacking me for this but....Fact is, the Spurs LOST the championship. The Heat did not exactly earn the win. They were given unbelievable luck to win Game 6 which was quite honestly over at one point until the Spurs couldn't make free throws or grab defensive rebounds due to Pop's brain fart there with Duncan on the bench. Yes, the Heat won Game 7 fair and square which was very very obvious after that Game 6 choke job by the Spurs. The Heat BARELY made the Finals for the 2nd year in a row. It took LeBron's heroics to get them over the hump in two consecutive seasons against the Celtics and Pacers.

The blueprint to beat or put yourself in a position to win a series against the Miami Heat is clearly obvious. The Thunder did not have that blueprint. Like it or not, the Nets have followed that blueprint. They have all the pieces right now to do it as long as the Heat stay currently constructed.

2. The Nets not being able to to get beat the Bulls was obvious. You will NEVER win a series playing 3 on 5 offensively. Go ask Memphis with Prince/Tony Allen. The Nets biggest problem all season long with their last roster was the fact, they had 3 offensive weapons and 2 liability on offense. Wallace shot 28% post all-star break from 3. Reggie Evans was just an offensive cancer. The Bulls literally IGNORED them.

Then, the Nets sucked defensively. So, image having a thin bench because your coaching staff refuses to develop young talent like Marshon Brooks over Jerry Stackhouse WHILE having to work HARD for offense then giving up baskets easily.

What this trade does is not only allow the Nets to play 5 on 5 offensively, it allows KG to play his natural position defensively to combine with Brook Lopez shot blocking (7th in the league). Now, they finally have interior defense instead of allowing Reggie Evans to get torched by Carlos Boozer or David West (fun fact: Kris Humphries was their best PF one on one defender in the POs).

AK47 gives them what Gerald Wallace gave them but MUCH MUCH better IQ, polish, efficiency and ability to finish around the rim. Wallace is not a good help defender while AK47 is. His best defense comes against isolation where he can come in and block a shot or contest a shot without having to fully double. That's how extremely mobile and long he is.

Blatche was going to be their starting PF before the trade and Blatche alongside Lopez reordered a Defensive rating of 99 which is damn good. So, you basically have a starting quality big man coming off the bench. Reggie Evans goes back to his normal role coming off a career season AND had the 2nd highest rebounding rate season of all time. Which is incredible.

Livingston is a better quality backup PG. He has way more in his skill set than CJ Watson. Then, Jason Terry on his worst season still manages to replace the production OF CJ Watson as both had identical stats.

If Kidd wants to get up and down the floor and play with some younger fresher legs? He can go to his bench and put out a lineup of Tyshawn Taylor, Livingston, Toko Shengelia, Mirza Teletovic, Mason Plumlee. That lineup alone can come in and add energy and compete against fresh legs. All have talent and a decent ceiling to be quality players.

You cannot literally double team anyone on their roster. Every single player can beat you in so many ways. If you take out Pierce and put in Kirilenko, he can cut to the rim, finish lob dunks, run the floor with Deron. If you put in Blatche, he can score and beat his man off the dribble, if you put in Evans and KG. You get lockdown defense and rebounding (Boston's biggest weakness under the KG era was rebounding).

I've also heard the Nets aren't done making moves either. This team is extremely deep. Nothing like last year assuming they gel and everyone stays relatively healthy. I can't say they are the favorites because the Heat are the champions and the Pacers deserve respect for what they did BUT they will leapfrog everyone not named Miami once they begin to gel and if healthy.

Really hate to use an old axiom on you but here goes...........

"Actions speak louder than words". Which is why I watch NO NBA opinion shows.

85BearsDefense
07-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm in agreement with the Nets can beat the Heat. The Celtics always gave the Heat problems stemming from Garnett and Pierce. Size kills Miami, look at the Bulls they always kill Miami (not in playoffs however, havent been healthy) but when healthy in regular season the abuse miami on boards. For those of you saying KG is washed up here are his playoff numbers the past 2 postseasons.

2013 12.7 PPG 13.7 RPG 50%FG 94%FT
2012 19.2 PPG 10.3 RPG 49.7%FG 81%FT

Most Heat fans can agree with me here that Garnett kills the Heat in the playoffs with his Defense and his ability to score low post.

The Nets downfall against Miami will be how they will counter the Heat going small.

How do they defend this

Chalmers
Allen
Wade
Lebron
Anderson

I cant wait for these 2 teams to meet in the playoffs Its going to be an awesome series.

85BearsDefense
07-20-2013, 10:31 PM
But we all need to realize the Heat are 11-1 in the postseason since the Big 3 formed

Punk
07-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Really hate to use an old axiom on you but here goes...........

"Actions speak louder than words". Which is why I watch NO NBA opinion shows.

Of course it does but all we can do is judge the team on paper and off of what we know from last season.

waveycrockett
07-20-2013, 10:35 PM
If the Spurs win game 7 nobody is calling the Nets too old.

GiantsSwaGG
07-20-2013, 10:41 PM

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Of course it does but all we can do is judge the team on paper and off of what we know from last season.

And I like to think that knowledgeable NBA fans know better than to judge a team on paper.

But this thread has proven to me that I am expecting too much knowledge of many posters in here.

85BearsDefense
07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Hard to judge a team on paper. Especially one that lost to Bulls in 7 games...

Punk
07-20-2013, 10:50 PM
And I like to think that knowledgeable NBA fans know better than to judge a team on paper.

But this thread has proven to me that I am expecting too much knowledge of many posters in here.
Lol

EVERYONE judges a team on paper during the off-season. Are you serious? Are they favorites? No.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Hard to judge a team on paper. Especially one that lost to Bulls in 7 games...

VERY hard to judge a team on paper. But this Nets team is not the team that lost to Bulls in 7 games.

That is like saying the Mavs team that lost in the 1st round '09-'10 is the team that won the Title in '10-'11.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 11:18 PM
If the Spurs win game 7 nobody is calling the Nets too old.

Actually, if you did some research you would know that the Spurs weren't in the top 5 oldest teams last year. Additionally, young players like Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Thiago Splitter were big reasons for their success. Also, Parker was 30 years old which is still prime. Tim Duncan is old but is a much better player than KG is now.

Bostonjorge
07-20-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd say Nets are the favorites to beat Miami but that's it.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 11:25 PM

Not saying the Nets can't be really good but you sound EXACTLY like the Lakers fans last year. "If Dwight is struggling he can kick it to Kobe, who can kick it to Steve Nash for the wide open 3, or pass it to Pau who can his the mid range jump shot with ease, or Jamison coming off the bench."

Let me add in no was is Shaun Livingston better than CJ Watson which is why Watson will be paid more this year. This will be Livingston's 8th team in the league and he is a terrible shooter and only an average passer. Taylor had one of the worse summer leagues I've ever seen so I don't trust him at all.

TheMightyHumph
07-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Lol

EVERYONE judges a team on paper during the off-season. Are you serious? Are they favorites? No.

And do you realize how much weight 'on paper' holds?

I am forced to tell you. NONE, because the game is not played on paper, it is played on a regulation NBA basketball court, 82 games per season per team, then on the same type court once the playoff teams are determined.

Paper really doesn't enter into the equation, as there is coaching, chemistry, injuries, unhappy players, trades and kharma that will determine how well a team does, and none of that can be predicted by looking at a teams roster in the middle of July.

sportscrazed
07-20-2013, 11:47 PM
And do you realize how much weight 'on paper' holds?

I am forced to tell you. NONE, because the game is not played on paper, it is played on a regulation NBA basketball court, 82 games per season per team, then on the same type court once the playoff teams are determined.

Paper really doesn't enter into the equation, as there is coaching, chemistry, injuries, unhappy players, trades and kharma that will determine how well a team does, and none of that can be predicted by looking at a teams roster in the middle of July.

:clap:

TheMightyHumph
07-21-2013, 12:08 AM
:clap:

Thank You

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm in agreement with the Nets can beat the Heat. The Celtics always gave the Heat problems stemming from Garnett and Pierce. Size kills Miami, look at the Bulls they always kill Miami (not in playoffs however, havent been healthy) but when healthy in regular season the abuse miami on boards. For those of you saying KG is washed up here are his playoff numbers the past 2 postseasons.

2013 12.7 PPG 13.7 RPG 50%FG 94%FT
2012 19.2 PPG 10.3 RPG 49.7%FG 81%FT

Most Heat fans can agree with me here that Garnett kills the Heat in the playoffs with his Defense and his ability to score low post.

The Nets downfall against Miami will be how they will counter the Heat going small.

How do they defend this

Chalmers
Allen
Wade
Lebron
Anderson

I cant wait for these 2 teams to meet in the playoffs Its going to be an awesome series.

That is what finally made me jump on the bandwaggon and say "wow the Nets could actually give the Heat major issues".

That would be the acquisition of AK47. Kirilenko plays PF even better than he plays SF.

Most teams have no answer for MIA small ball. However i believe that with Kirilenko we can. We can counter with:

Deron
JJ
Pierce
AK47
Garnett

That imo will be our best defensive lineup overall and just happens to be a great counter for MIA small ball. You have 2 elite defenders in Garnett and Kirilenko and 3 capable defenders to go with them and shooting too.

Before Kirilenko i had doubts because of the very reason you just said. We had no answer for MIA small ball. Now we do.

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 01:22 AM

Why would you facepalm him. It was a great and thoughtful post and i agree with much of it. Any idiot can click a button and facepalm someone. He took his time out to think about his post write it in a clear concise manner and made an effort to engage in the discussion.

You facepalming him without saying why you disagree just makes you look stupid.

GiantsSwaGG
07-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Why would you facepalm him. It was a great and thoughtful post and i agree with much of it. Any idiot can click a button and facepalm someone. He took his time out to think about his post write it in a clear concise manner and made an effort to engage in the discussion.

You facepalming him without saying why you disagree just makes you look stupid.

I facepalmed him because he's a bandwagon fan

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 01:40 AM
I facepalmed him because he's a bandwagon fan

I understand why a Knicks fan would be irked that a fellow Knicks fan also cheers for the Nets but that is not what i think of when i think bandwaggon fan. The nets havent won anything. Neither have the Knicks. Many MIA fans are bandwaggon fans. They support the teams that win. If someone is from NY and Brooklyn in general and wants to cheer for both NY teams he can do so.

I believe Punk became a fan of the Nets after the move to Brooklyn. So it may not even be about the team. Maybe he is loyal to his roots in Brooklyn. Even Spike Lee once said he would cheer for the Nets just not over the knicks

Knicks21
07-21-2013, 02:10 AM
I understand why a Knicks fan would be irked that a fellow Knicks fan also cheers for the Nets but that is not what i think of when i think bandwaggon fan. The nets havent won anything. Neither have the Knicks. Many MIA fans are bandwaggon fans. They support the teams that win. If someone is from NY and Brooklyn in general and wants to cheer for both NY teams he can do so.

I believe Punk became a fan of the Nets after the move to Brooklyn. So it may not even be about the team. Maybe he is loyal to his roots in Brooklyn. Even Spike Lee once said he would cheer for the Nets just not over the knicks

Many Miami fans became bandwagon fans when they obtained Lebron and Bosh in Free Agency, not after the 2012 finals.

And we will leave it to you to define what is acceptable in sports, personally Im against rooting for two teams.

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Many Miami fans became bandwagon fans when they obtained Lebron and Bosh in Free Agency, not after the 2012 finals.

And we will leave it to you to define what is acceptable in sports, personally Im against rooting for two teams.

I wasnt the one casting judgement. I was just curious as to why he facepalmed a thoughtful post instead of furthering the conversation by saying why he disagreed.

I have always been a Nets fan. So i could care less what Knicks fans think of bandwaggon Brooklyn fans and however you wanna define them

astonmartin10
07-21-2013, 09:25 AM
The Heat are still the favorites to win the title.

Pacerlive
07-21-2013, 09:43 AM
That is what finally made me jump on the bandwaggon and say "wow the Nets could actually give the Heat major issues".

That would be the acquisition of AK47. Kirilenko plays PF even better than he plays SF.

Most teams have no answer for MIA small ball. However i believe that with Kirilenko we can. We can counter with:

Deron
JJ
Pierce
AK47
Garnett

That imo will be our best defensive lineup overall and just happens to be a great counter for MIA small ball. You have 2 elite defenders in Garnett and Kirilenko and 3 capable defenders to go with them and shooting too.

Before Kirilenko i had doubts because of the very reason you just said. We had no answer for MIA small ball. Now we do.
Here is a question for the Net fans, what type of offense will they run? If its a high pnr with Dwill then that plays well into Miamis hands. I have a tough time seeing how the Nets pnr will defeat the Miami pnr trap.

The other x-factor to me is jj on Wade. With Miami it's not about winning 3 out the 5 matchups on the court but about limiting the two most reliable options on the Heat and I don't see that happening against Wade and Lebron.

justinnum1
07-21-2013, 10:37 AM
lmao

sportsfan222
07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
no they are not.

in the east, the heat , bulls, and pacers are better teams, and out west ill take the warriors, thunder, rockets assuming howard is healthy and dominant player he was on orlando, spurs,.

there improved obviously, but lets see if garnett and pierce and can hang in there for another full season and playoff run. i have my doubts.

knicks=love
07-21-2013, 12:00 PM
lopez over bosh is definitely questionable...

TheNumber37
07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
they are so fragile. one injury to anyone and the whole thing is ruined.

justinnum1
07-21-2013, 12:32 PM
lopez over bosh is definitely questionable...

Bosh>lopez

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Seriously can anyone please explain why the Nets should believe in Garnett, Terry and Pierce to help this team in the playoffs.

They struggled every second half of the Knicks series this year. They are aging and they struggled as the season went on. This team got worse in my opinion by getting older. They are going to prevent young talent from getting important minutes. They are trying to win now instead of building a core group of talent. I think it will work out poorly, much like the Lakers trying to pool a bunch of talent this past year.

KnickaBocka.44
07-21-2013, 02:54 PM

VERY hard to judge a team on paper. But this Nets team is not the team that lost to Bulls in 7 games.

That is like saying the Mavs team that lost in the 1st round '09-'10 is the team that won the Title in '10-'11.

You realize what you just did here, right?

In case you missed it; you just said that you expect a knowledgable fan to know better than to judge a team on paper and then in your very next comment you judged the Nets on paper.

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 02:58 PM

In case you missed it; you just said that you expect a knowledgable fan to know better than to judge a team on paper and then in your very next comment you judged the Nets on paper.

Contradictions, the lifeblood of psd.

GiantsSwaGG
07-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Nets fans at their finest!

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Here is a question for the Net fans, what type of offense will they run? If its a high pnr with Dwill then that plays well into Miamis hands. I have a tough time seeing how the Nets pnr will defeat the Miami pnr trap.

The other x-factor to me is jj on Wade. With Miami it's not about winning 3 out the 5 matchups on the court but about limiting the two most reliable options on the Heat and I don't see that happening against Wade and Lebron.

IDK but i hope Kidd can figure it out. We have on paper the versatility to play any type of offense. 4 of the 5 players on the starting lineup can pass the ball well make plays for others. AK47 can as well.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Seriously can anyone please explain why the Nets should believe in Garnett, Terry and Pierce to help this team in the playoffs.

They struggled every second half of the Knicks series this year. They are aging and they struggled as the season went on. This team got worse in my opinion by getting older. They are going to prevent young talent from getting important minutes. They are trying to win now instead of building a core group of talent. I think it will work out poorly, much like the Lakers trying to pool a bunch of talent this past year.

Ignored my other post eh? Good for you to finally realize your mistakes! If you want to respond now then quote that actual post too.

Yes I can. Garnett, Pierce, and Terry ALL said that at the press conference that they are just pieces to help fit a championship puzzle. Garnett said the "bones" are already there to make a run with deron brook and joe and they'll add the mentality and intangibles needed to win. Pierce said they're goal is to help THEM win. He said they want to continue to help deron and brook play as all-stars and said that he and Garnett both thought Lopez had the chance to be the best center in the league with help from Garnett and the fact that for the FIRST time in his career he won't be doubled teamed every possession. I cannot wait to see him go 1-1 in the low post.

So yes, those three will significantly help the nets improve. Jason Kidd has said that their minutes will be significantly reduced throughout the regular season and hell probably rest them entire games a la spurs.

You know WHY they were awful in second halves?? They were exhausted dude. Those two players were the ONLY contributing offensive players on the team. They had to CARRY that team. Their starting top 5 in league point guard was not playing!! Now they have two young guys in brook and deron who can carry a bulk of the offensive load. Garnett has very good backup depth to reduce his minutes in Blatche and Evans. pierce has AK who might average more regular season minutes than him! Joe at 6'8 also will slide down to 3 when terry or dwill (Livingston on court) play the 2. In short, Garnett and pierce won't HAVE to play a giant role on the court to rest their old bodies. There is no huge burden of carrying the teams on their backs.

This is completely different from Nash and Kobe conflicts who constantly needed the ball to succeed. We don't have players that NEED the ball o succeed. Garnett and pierce have both obviously succeeded with someone like that in Rondo. Neither of the new celtics have the diva attitude of Dwight. Do you see Garnett ever complaining about not getting enough touches hahaha?? Dwight can't play outside the low post. You know who had one of the highest percentage mid range shots in the entire league last season? Garnett. Both Lopez and brook can play outside the post. The floor spacing is amazing.

If you respond to this with a few sentences then there is no need to respond to you dude. This is more so for others reading the thread who don't seem to understand the major points of the celtics players have half the burden of their previous team and that the only legitimate comparison between the lakers and nets is their star power

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Bosh>lopez

You won't be saying that after this season.

Actually YOU probably will but it won't be the consensus

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 03:31 PM

What younger players did we block with this trade? What did we give up that we will miss? let me enlighten you.

Gerald Wallace: Terrible contract that i am still stunned the Celtics took on. Useless defensive guy that wasnt even that great defensively while being a huge liability on offense. teams would double off of him knowing he would brick a shot cuz he cant shoot. We replaced him with Paul Pierce and Andrei Kirilenko

Kris Humphries: Didnt even get minutes on our team because he was so bad defensively. His mid range shot was not consistent enough to warrant playing time with his defensive liabilities. We replaced him with KG and and when we go small Kirilenko. The guy that was starting ahead of him is now our 3rd string PF maybe 4th if Kidd decides Teletovic is worthy of playing time

MarShon Brooks: Wanted to be traded. Felt slighted by the Nets. He felt he was misused and unfailrly targeted because of his terrible defense. He did not exactly do much for us off the bench when he got minutes except turn the ball over and take bad shots. Will not be missed. He was replaced with Jason Terry who was injured and misused last year.

Keith Bogans: Went to BOS so happy because he got a huge pay increase. He was just a 3 and D guy that didnt even shoot that well. His defense has been replaced off the bench by AK47

Kris Joseph: Who???

3 picks: There persistent criticism is that this roster's window is short and those picks could very well be lottery picks. To those people i laugh. If we were a small market team owned by a cheap owner i would be terrified at giving up those picks. However Brooklyn is now the place to be for players with their endearing owner who has shown to be extremely player friendly and willing to spend anything to win. As long as we play in Brooklyn and are owned by Prokhorov this team will not see the lottery again. On that note remember that bad Gerald Wallace contract i mentioned? Yea it pretty much opened the door for the door for the Nets to sign Kevin Durant when the Celtics took that contract.

Injuries? Pffft on nights when we arent blowing teams out i would be surprised if KG and Garnett averaged more than 28 mpg. Kidd has already said he may not play them on back to backs.

The Nets upgraded everything that needed upgrading in their roster. Everything. I see very few weaknesses in the roster due to their depth and versatility. They also fixed their Gerald Wallace mistake and gave us the flexibility to be a player in FA when the big fish KD hits the market. All this for 3 picks which may never see anything higher than 20.

So yes the Nets will be much better than last year. The Nets finished one game behind IND and a few games behind NY. All this with an incompetent coach and terrible roster deficiencies. Yet people seem to think these teams are for sure still better than the Nets even after all the upgrades? Too funny. Those 2 teams had relatively mediocre off seasons.. Knicks did not get better for sure. Pacers we will see how Granger returns and if he messes up their chemistry or if he is even the same. The Bulls? They will always be a good regular season team that rides their defense and falters in the playoffs because their offense just cant keep up. Rose gives them offense assuming he returns well but as we have seen before not enough to keep up with elite offenses. They also lost Nate and Bellineli who were offense for them. The Bulls beat the Nets because the Nets offense sucked so the defense and toughness was enough to gut the series out. the Nets are no longer simple to defend.

Hellcrooner
07-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Lopez Vs Rasheed
Garnett vs Ben W.
Pierce vs Gay.
Johnson vs Rip
Deron vs Chauncey

Livingston vs Mike James
Terry vs Lindsey Hunter
Kirilenko vs corlis W
Evans vs darko :facepalm:
Blatche vs okur

+ mirza vs Darvin Ham.

So, is it so ridiculous to think they could win?

Im no nets fan , on the contrary ive always been a laker fan with Knicks being a distant second, but not understanding how deep and dangerous this nets team is and respecting them is absolutely nuts.

Heat " have to" be the favourites because they come from a back to back, but seriously i cant see any TEAM better tan the nets out there, other teams may have flashier stars, bigger names and all you want, but in terms of 1 to 12 roster there IS NOT a deeper one out there.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Chitownbears22 that my friend is called getting "burned" on a discussion forum. If you care to respond with people respecting your opinions then respond to each of the points to our posts and not just say "whatever they are old. Only good on paper. Lmao heat are better so nets suck, no one can guard Lebron so nets suck" we never said nets were favorite ver the heat. A non nets fan started the thread. Just that we will be damn good

TheMightyHumph
07-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Really? Where's the judgement?

TheMightyHumph
07-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Nets fans at their finest!

Still wondering where the judgement is.

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Chitownbears22 that my friend is called getting "burned" on a discussion forum. If you care to respond with people respecting your opinions then respond to each of the points to our posts and not just say "whatever they are old. Only good on paper. Lmao heat are better so nets suck, no one can guard Lebron so nets suck" we never said nets were favorite ver the heat. A non nets fan started the thread. Just that we will be damn good

Sorry went to eat. I will respond now. I am sure you are still pushing the same BS as last season before you were bounced in the first round by a team without their best player.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Sorry went to eat. I will respond now. I am sure you are still pushing the same BS as last season before you were bounced in the first round by a team without their best player.

What same BS? Last year I predicted us as the 4 seed. I was right. I predicted a second round exit. I was 6 points in game 7 away from that. My expectations were much lower. This off season changed everything. We had no heart and Gerald Wallace and Reggie Evans had absolutely zero offensive talent with the wallace's play as a result of being used terribly by ourcoaches. We have players now that KNOW their roles on that side of the court very very well

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 03:51 PM
What younger players did we block with this trade? What did we give up that we will miss? let me enlighten you.

Gerald Wallace: Terrible contract that i am still stunned the Celtics took on. Useless defensive guy that wasnt even that great defensively while being a huge liability on offense. teams would double off of him knowing he would brick a shot cuz he cant shoot. We replaced him with Paul Pierce and Andrei Kirilenko

Kris Humphries: Didnt even get minutes on our team because he was so bad defensively. His mid range shot was not consistent enough to warrant playing time with his defensive liabilities. We replaced him with KG and and when we go small Kirilenko. The guy that was starting ahead of him is now our 3rd string PF maybe 4th if Kidd decides Teletovic is worthy of playing time

MarShon Brooks: Wanted to be traded. Felt slighted by the Nets. He felt he was misused and unfailrly targeted because of his terrible defense. He did not exactly do much for us off the bench when he got minutes except turn the ball over and take bad shots. Will not be missed. He was replaced with Jason Terry who was injured and misused last year.

Keith Bogans: Went to BOS so happy because he got a huge pay increase. He was just a 3 and D guy that didnt even shoot that well. His defense has been replaced off the bench by AK47

Kris Joseph: Who???

3 picks: There persistent criticism is that this roster's window is short and those picks could very well be lottery picks. To those people i laugh. If we were a small market team owned by a cheap owner i would be terrified at giving up those picks. However Brooklyn is now the place to be for players with their endearing owner who has shown to be extremely player friendly and willing to spend anything to win. As long as we play in Brooklyn and are owned by Prokhorov this team will not see the lottery again. On that note remember that bad Gerald Wallace contract i mentioned? Yea it pretty much opened the door for the door for the Nets to sign Kevin Durant when the Celtics took that contract.

Injuries? Pffft on nights when we arent blowing teams out i would be surprised if KG and Garnett averaged more than 28 mpg. Kidd has already said he may not play them on back to backs.

The Nets upgraded everything that needed upgrading in their roster. Everything. I see very few weaknesses in the roster due to their depth and versatility. They also fixed their Gerald Wallace mistake and gave us the flexibility to be a player in FA when the big fish KD hits the market. All this for 3 picks which may never see anything higher than 20.

So yes the Nets will be much better than last year. The Nets finished one game behind IND and a few games behind NY. All this with an incompetent coach and terrible roster deficiencies. Yet people seem to think these teams are for sure still better than the Nets even after all the upgrades? Too funny. Those 2 teams had relatively mediocre off seasons.. Knicks did not get better for sure. Pacers we will see how Granger returns and if he messes up their chemistry or if he is even the same. The Bulls? They will always be a good regular season team that rides their defense and falters in the playoffs because their offense just cant keep up. Rose gives them offense assuming he returns well but as we have seen before not enough to keep up with elite offenses. They also lost Nate and Bellineli who were offense for them. The Bulls beat the Nets because the Nets offense sucked so the defense and toughness was enough to gut the series out. the Nets are no longer simple to defend.

It is an interesting roster. But I still don't understand the moves. Terry, Pierce and Garnett have all been less efficient in the past couple years. Garnett was ready to retire, because he knew he was done, but the Nets were willing to give him enough money to stay. You are getting player in him who stayed because the money was right.

As for young talent I was really focusing on Brooks. The guy was never really given a chance. I like his potential , some might not agree.

The team is deep but I think it is deep with role players. I don't think they are talented enough to get to the ECF or the NBA Finals. I am sure you disagree but that is not the point. I don't think that Kidd will be that great this year as a head coach, but I liked the Nets giving him a shot and think it is a good long run play. I think that KG and PP are short term answers but I think by the time this team learns to play together they will be on the verge of retiring. Hell the Heat took 2 years to gel and that was with superior talent, it is going to take a while in Brooklyn.

Good luck this year, but I expect nets fans here to be like DMF when they got bumped in the first round........missing.

Federal Reserve
07-21-2013, 03:53 PM
The Knicks will win at least 3 games against the Nets in the upcoming season.

Felton < Williams
Shumpert > Johnson
Melo > Pierce
Amare > Garnett
Chandler > Lopez

Bargnani/Artest = Evans/Kirilenko

Advantage: Knicks

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 03:54 PM
What same BS? Last year I predicted us as the 4 seed. I was right. I predicted a second round exit. I was 6 points in game 7 away from that. My expectations were much lower. This off season changed everything. We had no heart and Gerald Wallace and Reggie Evans had absolutely zero offensive talent with the wallace's play as a result of being used terribly by ourcoaches. We have players now that KNOW their roles on that side of the court very very well

You have a bunch of new players that knew their role for the Celtics. They have no idea what their role will be for this new team. Let me point you in the direction of the Lakers who added Nash and Howard. Two players more talented than all the pieces add this year by the Nets. They did not play well together. I don't think Nets will either. Nets right now are a 5 seed at best. I have the following ahead of them:

HEAT
Knicks
Bulls
Indy

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Hahahah THAT was your response? Literally just repeated the same points and said damn you traded Marshon brooks away!! How does that make us a worse team

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
You have a bunch of new players that knew their role for the Celtics. They have no idea what their role will be for this new team. Let me point you in the direction of the Lakers who added Nash and Howard. Two players more talented than all the pieces add this year by the Nets. They did not play well together. I don't think Nets will either. Nets right now are a 5 seed at best. I have the following ahead of them:

HEAT
Knicks
Bulls
Indy
I addressed all of this in my first post. Respond to each of those points or I'm done here.

Responding doesn't just mean repeating points you made. It means REFUTING mine dude. Take an English class and pay attention when the teacher talks about arguments

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Hahahah THAT was your response? Literally just repeated the same points and said damn you traded Marshon brooks away!! How does that make us a worse team

I dont think you are worse currently because of that trade. The NBA is not just about the current season. Long term growth means something too. But hey I am all for teams trying to put all their money on one big play for a championship. There is a history of it working out great, even the HEAT took 2 years to mesh.

You fail to understand long term. And you fail to understand that it takes time for teams to learn to play together. Couple that with a young coach with 0, I repeat 0 experience and you are in for a letdown.

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I addressed this in my first post. Respond to each of those points or I'm done here.

I have no idea where your first post is. If you care to quote it I will respond. I am not going to search for a post from someone who has none of my respect.

Cal827
07-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Ignored my other post eh? Good for you to finally realize your mistakes! If you want to respond now then quote that actual post too.

Yes I can. Garnett, Pierce, and Terry ALL said that at the press conference that they are just pieces to help fit a championship puzzle. Garnett said the "bones" are already there to make a run with deron brook and joe and they'll add the mentality and intangibles needed to win. Pierce said they're goal is to help THEM win. He said they want to continue to help deron and brook play as all-stars and said that he and Garnett both thought Lopez had the chance to be the best center in the league with help from Garnett and the fact that for the FIRST time in his career he won't be doubled teamed every possession. I cannot wait to see him go 1-1 in the low post.

So yes, those three will significantly help the nets improve. Jason Kidd has said that their minutes will be significantly reduced throughout the regular season and hell probably rest them entire games a la spurs.

You know WHY they were awful in second halves?? They were exhausted dude. Those two players were the ONLY contributing offensive players on the team. They had to CARRY that team. Their starting top 5 in league point guard was not playing!! Now they have two young guys in brook and deron who can carry a bulk of the offensive load. Garnett has very good backup depth to reduce his minutes in Blatche and Evans. pierce has AK who might average more regular season minutes than him! Joe at 6'8 also will slide down to 3 when terry or dwill (Livingston on court) play the 2. In short, Garnett and pierce won't HAVE to play a giant role on the court to rest their old bodies. There is no huge burden of carrying the teams on their backs.

This is completely different from Nash and Kobe conflicts who constantly needed the ball to succeed. We don't have players that NEED the ball o succeed. Garnett and pierce have both obviously succeeded with someone like that in Rondo. Neither of the new celtics have the diva attitude of Dwight. Do you see Garnett ever complaining about not getting enough touches hahaha?? Dwight can't play outside the low post. You know who had one of the highest percentage mid range shots in the entire league last season? Garnett. Both Lopez and brook can play outside the post. The floor spacing is amazing.

If you respond to this with a few sentences then there is no need to respond to you dude. This is more so for others reading the thread who don't seem to understand the major points of the celtics players have half the burden of their previous team and that the only legitimate comparison between the lakers and nets is their star power

The Net Representative of PSD. Great Post :clap:

As for the question, I think the Nets should be up there.

1. Heat
2. Clippers
3. Bulls/Nets
5. Pacers

justinnum1
07-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Felton < Williams
Shumpert > Johnson
Melo > Pierce
Amare > Garnett
Chandler > Lopez

:drunk:

JJ is better than shump, only knicks homers would say otherwise.
Garnett is so much better than amare, not even close when you factor in defense
Kirilienko would be the 3rd option on the knicks. barganai is awful and artest is washed up
lopez and chandler are a wash.

Still in shock about how you rate knicks players :laugh2:

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:04 PM
I dont think you are worse currently because of that trade. The NBA is not just about the current season. Long term growth means something too. But hey I am all for teams trying to put all their money on one big play for a championship. There is a history of it working out great, even the HEAT took 2 years to mesh.

You fail to understand long term. And you fail to understand that it takes time for teams to learn to play together. Couple that with a young coach with 0, I repeat 0 experience and you are in for a letdown.

Awesome. So you don't think we are worse.YOU said we were worse, hence me posting a lot of reasons that made that statement foolish. Now you are changing the course of the argument toward the future. A point that chi will addressed with the new marketability of the Brooklyn franchise.

I don't fail to understand long term. We have been awful for a very longtime and are finally looking to win. I'm quite happy about that. Did I ever say we were gonna click immediately? In countless threads I have said we will be the 4th seed in the regular season for that very fact in addition Kidd resting players for games. Playoffs is when this team will make its impact. I'm pretty sure getting to the Finals is considered meshing for any other team in the league besides the Heat hahaha

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:05 PM

HEAT
Knicks
Bulls
Indy

I have no idea where your first post is. If you care to quote it I will respond. I am not going to search for a post from someone who has none of my respect.

Cal just quoted it

Cal827
07-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Felton < Williams
Shumpert > Johnson
Melo > Pierce
Amare > Garnett
Chandler > Lopez

Wat?

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Cal just quoted it

Obviously we disagree. I will just save this thread to my favorites and I am sure I will have some nice quotes to read back to you next year when the Nets are bounced early again.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Obviously we disagree. I will just save this thread to my favorites and I am sure I will have some nice quotes to read back to you next year when the Nets are bounced early again.

Hahahaha. You don't have any reasons to disagree? Awesome. I'll be waiting for when the Nets get worse all of a sudden next year, I'll also keep a lookout for Kwahi Leanord's trash defense. Learning a lot of unique NBA opinions from you man.

justinnum1
07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Hahahaha. You don't have any reasons to disagree? Awesome. I'll be waiting for when the Nets get worse all of a sudden next year, I'll also keep a lookout for Kwahi Leanord's trash defense. Learning a lot of unique NBA opinions from you man.

LOL. Anyone who thinks kawhi's defense is trash is a fool.

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 04:24 PM

HEATPEAT.......Nets were just another first round casualty.. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha enjoy you trash team.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
HEATPEAT.......Nets were just another first round casualty.. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha enjoy you trash team.

Yes, the Heat will most likely repeat. And I will enjoy the best team my franchise has put on the court in its history (yes we made it to the Finals twice but the weak was significantly weaker then). Ha.

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 04:35 PM
It is an interesting roster. But I still don't understand the moves. Terry, Pierce and Garnett have all been less efficient in the past couple years. Garnett was ready to retire, because he knew he was done, but the Nets were willing to give him enough money to stay. You are getting player in him who stayed because the money was right.

As for young talent I was really focusing on Brooks. The guy was never really given a chance. I like his potential , some might not agree.

The team is deep but I think it is deep with role players. I don't think they are talented enough to get to the ECF or the NBA Finals. I am sure you disagree but that is not the point. I don't think that Kidd will be that great this year as a head coach, but I liked the Nets giving him a shot and think it is a good long run play. I think that KG and PP are short term answers but I think by the time this team learns to play together they will be on the verge of retiring. Hell the Heat took 2 years to gel and that was with superior talent, it is going to take a while in Brooklyn.

Good luck this year, but I expect nets fans here to be like DMF when they got bumped in the first round........missing.

Well DMF AKA MightyHump is still around. just FYI

As far as the roster only on online forums can a guy make an all star team and people call him done the next off season. You just keep ignoring the key point. KG and Pierce were forced to play huge minutes when Rondo went down. They were done by the time the playoffs came but do you REALLY think they will be playing that many minutes here? With so much depth i would be shocked if they play anything more than 28 a night and thats only for the games when they arent sitting the entire 4th cuz we blew a team out which will happen a lot

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes, the Heat will most likely repeat. And I will enjoy the best team my franchise has put on the court in its history (yes we made it to the Finals twice but the weak was significantly weaker then). Ha.

I remember when Karl Malone and The Glove tried to team up and buy a championship.

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Felton < Williams
Shumpert > Johnson
Melo > Pierce
Amare > Garnett
Chandler > Lopez

Your sig is my response to your post

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I remember when Karl Malone and The Glove tried to team up and buy a championship.

EDIT: Originally responded to this, but deleted. Wasting my time responding to a dude who refuses to refute the points I make. I'll see ya in the post season when my Nets are better than last year. Good luck to the Heat and their three-peat which should be expected. If they don't win it this year, then I see major chances this summer.

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 04:44 PM
a Heat fan is talking to me about teaming up :clap:

Yeah and I already mentioned the shortcomings of it. The first year they played horribly together. It takes time you can't just throw a team together and win, it rarely happens.

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 04:52 PM

HEAT
Knicks
Bulls
Indy

Listen i know at this point you are just arguing just for the sake of not being wrong but be logical

Nash was injured most of the year for them and Howard was playing hurt or unmotivated or both for the whole year while D'Antoni was clueless and their role players sucked. I dont get the comparison between the Nets and Lakers. Its completely different.

You think KG is gonna come in demanding the ball and causing distractions like Howard? He and Pierce already called themselves "glorified role players" for this Brooklyn squad. In their own words they said their job will be to help Deron and Brook win.

You are comparing a selfless veteran proven winner in KG to an pretentious superstar who wants to be "the man" at all costs in Howard. All KG has to do on this team is bring his defense, work the PnR with one of the best PnR guards in the NBA, hit that pretty mid range shot of his, and help Brook get to the next level which he has vowed to do.

All Pierce has to do is do what he has done his whole career; score, just at a slightly reduced level. Instead of 18ppg we might just need 12ppg. The fact that teams cant leave him like they did to Wallace every possession last year to go double Brook or Deron. Pierce just by being able to shoot and create his own shot is a vast upgrade

Terry on his worst day can replicate anything Marshon can do even if MarShon ever figures out how to play the game correctly.

AK47 is so damn underrated and i am not even gonna try to explain it to you. This has been the most underrated part of the Nets off season imo that put them in contender status

ChitownBears22
07-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Listen i know at this point you are just arguing just for the sake of not being wrong but be logical

Nash was injured most of the year for them and Howard was playing hurt or unmotivated or both for the whole year while D'Antoni was clueless and their role players sucked. I dont get the comparison between the Nets and Lakers. Its completely different.

You think KG is gonna come in demanding the ball and causing distractions like Howard? He and Pierce already called themselves "glorified role players" for this Brooklyn squad. In their own words they said their job will be to help Deron and Brook win.

You are comparing a selfless veteran proven winner in KG to an pretentious superstar who wants to be "the man" at all costs in Howard. All KG has to do on this team is bring his defense, work the PnR with one of the best PnR guards in the NBA, hit that pretty mid range shot of his, and help Brook get to the next level which he has vowed to do.

All Pierce has to do is do what he has done his whole career; score, just at a slightly reduced level. Instead of 18ppg we might just need 12ppg. The fact that teams cant leave him like they did to Wallace every possession last year to go double Brook or Deron. Pierce just by being able to shoot and create his own shot is a vast upgrade

Terry on his worst day can replicate anything Marshon can do even if MarShon ever figures out how to play the game correctly.

AK47 is so damn underrated and i am not even gonna try to explain it to you. This has been the most underrated part of the Nets off season imo that put them in contender status

Ignore this years lakers....Look at what happened when Malone and Payton teamed up in LA with Bryant. Aging vets plus a decent vet core doesn't mean success.

Chill_Will_24
07-21-2013, 04:58 PM

I get where you are coming from but KG and Pierce are not being asked to do anything more than be role players here. There is not much to learn. They will gel well. Kidd has played with Terry and KG. Lawrence Frank has coached KG and Pierce. Deron already has a year in his belt with JJ, and Lopez.

I think Garnett's job will be so easy. The wealth of experience these guys have will make the transition period seamless