PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni says Dwight won't like the Rockets offense

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 07:07 AM
In fact, D'Antoni noticed a bit of irony in Howard choosing Houston, considering the Rockets run an offense every bit as wide open as the one D'Antoni prefers and the one Howard resisted conforming to last year.

"The thing that cracks me up is Houston, they do the exact same thing," D'Antoni said, laughing. "And so (Howard) is gonna go to Houston? OK, so did they talk about change there? Don't tell me that it's that different."

D'Antoni wishes Howard well, but does think he needs to accept what makes him a special player rather than envision himself as something he isn't yet and may never be.

"He's a force and he can be really, really good and dominate the league," D'Antoni said. "But it's in an area that he's not loving right now. He wants to dominate a different way, in the low post and all that. But he needs to get better there, and he will. But his greatness is in defense and being a physical force. I think he'd be better served if he embraces that.

"But he's good."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/mike-d-antoni-thinks-dwight-howard-going-pretty-195100773.html

Its true if they keep it the same way but from what we heard from McHale and Morey during their recruitment process of Dwight, it seems as if they are going to change their offense and revolve it and run it through Dwight instead of Harden like last season.

At least I'm guessing that's what they told Howard.

The Rockets played at the fastest pace in the league last season. I expect that to decline...a lot if they plan on fulfilling their promises to Dwight.

Jenceman
07-19-2013, 07:14 AM
He's right, as constructed last season, he won't like it. Let's see how they change it up. I think Harden's efficiency drops if they slow it down too much, and he already chucked alot to end the year

thenaj17
07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Why does anyone still listen to D'Antoni?! Just because he's fairly incapable of changing his philosophy (although he did a bit for Lakers last year) doesn't mean other coaches are so dense and unwilling to change systems. Pop changed the Spurs the last couple years to suit the players brought in and from Duncan to Parker lead role.

So why would another intelligent coach who was a post up big man himself not play to his players strength?! Especially when they recruited Dwight and did promise they're revolve around him.

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
No way back for Howard. If he pouts, then that's two destinations of choice (he forced his way to LA) that he doesn't end up liking.

ManRam
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Their offense will be "wide open" but in a whole different way. I think they can make it work. They have an abundance of shooters, something LA didn't quite have.

He's right about him needing to get better in the post, but my biggest quip in Orlando was how we got the ball to him. The Lakers didn't seem to be running sets and designed plays to get the defense moving and getting Dwight good looks. It's more than just the P&R (something Dwight isn't great at, and Lakers fans probably finally now understand that).

It comes down to coaching. Perhaps similar personnel, but I didn't see evolution in the Lakers offense as the season went on. When they wanted to get it to Dwight it was just forcing it to him in bad position.

D-Leethal
07-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Name me 3 teams whose offense doesn't revolve around the pick and roll. They all do outside of 1 or 2.

ManRam
07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Name me 3 teams whose offense doesn't revolve around the pick and roll. They all do outside of 1 or 2.

Sure, but there are a billion iterations of it and often it's just the basic and first move in a more intricate offense.

Dwight didn't do a ton of P&R work in Orlando, but they did incorporate it and they did much more than just feed it to Dwight and let him work back-to-the-basket. I'm sure Houston can figure something better out. LAL seemed set on what they wanted to do and unwilling to play around. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing for the team, because the team offense was above-average all year (not where you'd think a Nash-Kobe-Pau-Dwight offense would be though) but it didn't work for Dwight. And the problem was more than the alleged unwillingness for Dwight to run the P&R every time down the court.

I mean, with Nash on and off the court nothing about Dwight's play changed. He wasn't made better by Nash, whether that's his fault or someone else's. His scoring patterns were the same from all areas of the court, ie. Dwight didn't get more shots nor was he more efficient in the paint with Nash on the court as he did with him off.

Something wasn't working for Dwight in LA. The problem can be spread thick and wide. But I think to suggest that nothing will change or get better in Houston is a joke. They actually, right or wrong, will make a concerted effort to make Dwight more of a threat. LA was stubborn in the type of offense they wanted to run...I don't think Houston will be as much.

NYCkid12
07-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Its true if they keep it the same way but from what we heard from McHale and Morey during their recruitment process of Dwight, it seems as if they are going to change their offense and revolve it and run it through Dwight instead of Harden like last season.

The Rockets played at the fastest pace in the league last season. I expect that to decline...a lot if they plan on fulfilling their promises to Dwight.

I think the problem here is that D'Antoni doesn't seem to realize that a lot of coaches will change their offense and defensive style around the personel they have, unlike himself

This is now two consecutive jobs he's had they he has refused to change his offense to fit his best player(s)....first Knicks with Mello and now LA with Dwight and Gasol

3RDASYSTEM
07-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Sure, but there are a billion iterations of it and often it's just the basic and first move in a more intricate offense.

Dwight didn't do a ton of P&R work in Orlando, but they did incorporate it and they did much more than just feed it to Dwight and let him work back-to-the-basket. I'm sure Houston can figure something better out. LAL seemed set on what they wanted to do and unwilling to play around. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing for the team, because the team offense was above-average all year (not where you'd think a Nash-Kobe-Pau-Dwight offense would be though) but it didn't work for Dwight. And the problem was more than the alleged unwillingness for Dwight to run the P&R every time down the court.

I mean, with Nash on and off the court nothing about Dwight's play changed. He wasn't made better by Nash, whether that's his fault or someone else's. His scoring patterns were the same from all areas of the court, ie. Dwight didn't get more shots nor was he more efficient in the paint with Nash on the court as he did with him off.

Something wasn't working for Dwight in LA. The problem can be spread thick and wide. But I think to suggest that nothing will change or get better in Houston is a joke. They actually, right or wrong, will make a concerted effort to make Dwight more of a threat. LA was stubborn in the type of offense they wanted to run...I don't think Houston will be as much.

I wonder why he wasn't made better by NASH?

I wonder why people keep saying dumb **** like that

no nba player makes any nba player better, maybe help them get a wide open 3pt shot or dunk but that player has to be capable or he probably isn't getting the ball or clock time

Sandman
07-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Shut up Antoni. Never seen a coach as bitter, including George Karl. You couldn't figure out how to use Dwight Howard. Great coaches find ways to use their players strengths. You need to have everybody fit your system, even if you're trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

envymamba24
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
I cannot wait until Houston plays LA. The offense is going to be run through him? He's gonna get swarmed everytime he gets the boxes. And he showed last year he can't handle the ball well enough in the paint to command double teams.

ManRam
07-19-2013, 11:04 AM

no nba player makes any nba player better, maybe help them get a wide open 3pt shot or dunk but that player has to be capable or he probably isn't getting the ball or clock time

I agree that players aren't magically going to make other players better. When I say that phrase I mean making someone's job easier or just being good compliments whose games work in synergy. Steve Nash, via the stats, did not help Dwight out. He didn't get him easier looks, he didn't breakdown defenses to get Dwight open and the P&R they ran didn't work. Maybe they weren't good compliments. Maybe it's all on Dwight. Who knows? But Steve Nash's presence didn't lead to an improvement in Dwight Howard's play.

My only point is that whatever happened in LA wasn't working one bit.

ManRam
07-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I cannot wait until Houston plays LA. The offense is going to be run through him? He's gonna get swarmed everytime he gets the boxes. And he showed last year he can't handle the ball well enough in the paint to command double teams.

No offense is ever going to run through Dwight...that's not even what Dwight wants.

Gibby23
07-19-2013, 11:25 AM
No offense is ever going to run through Dwight...that's not even what Dwight wants.

Now you know what Dwight wants?

PraiseJesus
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
And this is why I said Harden and Dwight will have problems because there is no way on earth that Harden is going to pass it to Dwight in the low post 20+ times a game.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2013, 11:52 AM
McHale barely has an offense. He will change it to mold after his players, as usual. So many coaches force their system, when a coach like McHale, who has hardly any experience coaching, just changes it up depending on his players. Last year, he knew he needed to push the pace for his team to succeed. This year will be a little different, though expect nothing but at the rim shots, or three's.

Greet
07-19-2013, 11:57 AM
McHale barely has an offense. He will change it to mold after his players, as usual. So many coaches force their system, when a coach like McHale, who has hardly any experience coaching, just changes it up depending on his players. Last year, he knew he needed to push the pace for his team to succeed. This year will be a little different, though expect nothing but at the rim shots, or three's.

circa 2009 Orlando Magic

Sandman
07-19-2013, 11:59 AM

These guys don't get it. They've already drafted a damage control story in their heads where Dwight walked away because he's not man enough to take the torch.

Dwight's not a guy that wants the ball every time, but he is a guy that will be loud about strategy when it doesn't work out.

He *****ed because Van Gundy wouldn't give him the ball in late games. Some people see that as he's a prima donna and he needs to be the focus. Straight from the horses mouth he said what are we doing going away from me late in games, that is how we're in the game in the first place. Is he right, probly not, Stan is obviously afraid of Dwight at the FT line. BUT I think its less about him wanting the ball and more about trusting guys like Hedo Turkoglu.

Then again this year DWIGHT DOESNT WANT TO DO PNR, WANTS THE BALL IN THE POST. That again turns into Dwight is a prima donna wants to be the center of attention. News flash, PNR is not his strength. He is best in the post. But that turns into DWIGHT DONT WANNA, LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.

Dwight's offensive game is in the post. Is he the best? Nope. But you're lucky if your center breaks 10/10 these days. Is he top 5? Easy. And the defense that comes attached is what makes him BY FAR the best center in the NBA.

L8kers4life
07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Their offense will be "wide open" but in a whole different way. I think they can make it work. They have an abundance of shooters, something LA didn't quite have.

He's right about him needing to get better in the post, but my biggest quip in Orlando was how we got the ball to him. The Lakers didn't seem to be running sets and designed plays to get the defense moving and getting Dwight good looks. It's more than just the P&R (something Dwight isn't great at, and Lakers fans probably finally now understand that).

It comes down to coaching. Perhaps similar personnel, but I didn't see evolution in the Lakers offense as the season went on. When they wanted to get it to Dwight it was just forcing it to him in bad position.

What are you talking about, who is there abundance of shooters, Harden and parsons, other than that they have no shooters and probably the worst bench in the league, there is way too much hype for Houston and please dont say Lin or Garcia are good shooters, Omer Cassipi is terrible, there are not enough shooters there. And please take a look at Dwight's stats in the PnR, he was one of the best, even when Dwight was single covered and had plenty of room to work last year, it didn't work, he would simply get fouled and miss the free throws, everyone who is anointing the Rockets, is crazy, they will be the 5 or 6 seed.

rockets-fan
07-19-2013, 12:20 PM
What are you talking about, who is there abundance of shooters, Harden and parsons, other than that they have no shooters and probably the worst bench in the league, there is way too much hype for Houston and please dont say Lin or Garcia are good shooters, Omer Cassipi is terrible, there are not enough shooters there. And please take a look at Dwight's stats in the PnR, he was one of the best, even when Dwight was single covered and had plenty of room to work last year, it didn't work, he would simply get fouled and miss the free throws, everyone who is anointing the Rockets, is crazy, they will be the 5 or 6 seed.

No shooters yet they tie the most threes in a single game with 23. Ok.

Tymathee
07-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I agree, he has two guards who need the ball more than Kobe to be effective, play way more pick and roll than the Lakers did last season (even if that's Dwights biggest strength because no center is as quick, or as strong as him) and he has maybe 3 moves at the max in the post.

Before anyone says "but thats okay, you can just be really good with those 3 moves" He's not that good, he's average with those 3 moves, maybe below average.

He has below to avg hands, below to avg passing and he just looks weird when he gets the ball. He has no finesse, he's all brute. Shaq was bigger and stronger and HE had more finesse in the post than Dwight.

rockets-fan
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Daryl Morey. If this guy thinks Howard can make this team better, then I trust him. Seriously posters here think they know how to analyze, evaluate, and know what's better for the Rockets than Morey? Get real.

Howard will have a massive impact in Houston. What team in their right minds will double team him? Your going to leave Harden open? Parsons? He'll even Lin gets hot, at the four, Jones is a defensive liability but you can't leave him because he can shoot the 17ft shot with consistency.

I really can not wait for the Rockets to prove everyone wrong again.

Chronz
Because Nash isn't the same player anymore and because not all players are made better by the presence of another player. Like Iverson didn't make every player worse, mostly just the guys who would take touches from him.

Because we have proof. Look at Amare.

No NBA player makes another, but they do influence their effectiveness. Thats what people refer to, its something you yourself have attempted to reference in defense of AI's inefficiency, but as always, your trend of inconsistencies destroy your arguments.

FOBolous
the difference between McHale and D'Antoni is that D'Atoni is married to one system while McHale isn't. McHale's flexible. He'll create a system that best suits the players. the reason why Houston ran the offense we ran last year is because, without a low post scorer, that's the best offense we can run that will maximize the talent that we have. I'm sure, with the addition of Howard, McHale was adjust the offense to fit Howard's skill-set and preference. being a legendary bigman himself, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard for McHale to do that.

Chronz
07-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree, he has two guards who need the ball more than Kobe to be effective
Based on what? Didn't we see Harden play as a third banana and put up absurd levels of efficiency, the kind Kobe could never dream of. So.... what are you talking about.

play way more pick and roll than the Lakers did last season (even if that's Dwights biggest strength because no center is as quick, or as strong as him) and he has maybe 3 moves at the max in the post.
Harden is a better passer out of the PnR and doesn't look to isolate/Post as much as Kobe.

Before anyone says "but thats okay, you can just be really good with those 3 moves" He's not that good, he's average with those 3 moves, maybe below average.
He was below average LAST YEAR, but shouldn't we expect improvement considering his past success in the post and the fact that he was getting stronger as the year went on.

Sandman
07-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree, he has two guards who need the ball more than Kobe to be effective, play way more pick and roll than the Lakers did last season (even if that's Dwights biggest strength because no center is as quick, or as strong as him) and he has maybe 3 moves at the max in the post.

He has below to avg hands, below to avg passing and he just looks weird when he gets the ball. He has no finesse, he's all brute. Shaq was bigger and stronger and HE had more finesse in the post than Dwight.
In what context? Does he look goofy when he does it, yes, but he is a brute strength type of guy.

Shaq doesn't play anymore and also you're comparing him to one of the most dominant offensive centers ever, second only to Wilt who put up stupid numbers.

And I'd like to know what your context is for average-below average. There are guys with a better offensive game out there, but not many.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2013, 12:41 PM
circa 2009 Orlando Magic

but now with a dominant swing who can take pressure of Dwight.

Snakeyestx
07-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Oh look, more of this ...

1st - who cares what a coach that can't manage ego's says about a guy who jumped off a sinking ship?
2nd - The real reason why Dwight left is obvious, he didn't want the later parts of his career to be stuck in "rebuilding mediocrity."

That's right. He left because he didn't want to have half the Lakers retire around him - plain and simple. Why would "the most dominant center in the NBA" want to help a bunch of aging players get their last glory rings, only to be left behind when 3 or 4 of them retire leaving him in the later years of his career with a crappy rebuilding team handicapping his own stats and chances for getting rings?

He wants to be the elder statesman, or at least one of them so he builds his own legacy with a team and leaves with his "3 or 4 guys" much like Kobe/Nash/Pau will do soon.

KingstonHawke
07-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Anyone who's ever played college sports will tell you. The recruiting process is just that. As soon as they get you to sign, you lose all leverage and whatever they said to get you there no longer is relevant. The Rockets will use Howard in whatever way THEY feel best suits the team. And that's not going to work on the low block, that's running up and down the court, flashing to the basket early, and pick and rolling ALL DAY.

What I don't get is why what might be the best pick and roll big man in the world doesn't love playing that way.

MassoDio
07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
With a unique combination of power, coordination and timing, Howard has consistently ranked among the best players in the league at finishing the pick-and-roll. In his “down year” last season, Howard was the 9th best roll man in the NBA, but in 2011-12 he was 2nd best and in 2010-11 he was #1. Last year Dwight averaged 1.29 points per pick-and-roll (30% better than Asik) on 79.6% FG%. To put this in perspective, this is significantly higher than the points per possession he scored on the post-ups he is said to favor (0.74) and even more points than he scored in transition (1.22).

Other than the rare occasions when Dwight got a wide open dunk, the pick-and-roll was his highest percentage scoring opportunity. If he doesn’t realize this now, I’m sure GM Daryl Morey and his team of number crunchers will have hammered it home soon.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/4559/james-harden-dwight-howard-pick-and-roll/

This idea that Dwight is not that great of a PnR guy is nonsense. It is his most efficient and effective way of scoring.

To a certain extent, D'Antoni is absolutely right, if Houston were to keep the same offensive strategy. But D'Antoni is, in my opinion from watching him for years here in Phoenix, an egotistical idiot at managing and adjusting to his players and situations during games.

I fully believe that McHale will adjust his offense to make Dwight happy. The only problem that may arise from that will be based on how much they do it and how Harden adjusts to that.

Dwight needs to embrace the fact that he is deadly to defenses on the PnR, especially with a guy like Harden who draws fouls, being the other part of that. Dwight is not a great "give me the ball in the post and let me work" kind of center. He just doesn't have any consistently effective go-to move, and there is no threat of him turning and shooting over the top of the defense.

I do believe this partnership is going to work, but all the problems Howard has had, and all the flack he has received, has been his own doing. He needs to get a better grip on what he is good at, and learn to exploit that, rather than being unhappy because what he wants to be, is not what he is as a player. Either that, or develop a go-to move, a solid 12-15 foot turn-around jumper (ala Rasheed Wallace or Patrick Ewing), and get better at FT's. (I wouldn't bet on the second option at this stage of his career.)

Sandman
07-19-2013, 12:50 PM
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/4559/james-harden-dwight-howard-pick-and-roll/

This idea that Dwight is not that great of a PnR guy is nonsense. It is his most efficient and effective way of scoring.

To a certain extent, D'Antoni is absolutely right, if Houston were to keep the same offensive strategy. But D'Antoni is, in my opinion from watching him for years here in Phoenix, an egotistical idiot at managing and adjusting to his players and situations during games.

I fully believe that McHale will adjust his offense to make Dwight happy. The only problem that may arise from that will be based on how much they do it and how Harden adjusts to that.

Dwight needs to embrace the fact that he is deadly to defenses on the PnR, especially with a guy like Harden who draws fouls, being the other part of that. Dwight is not a great "give me the ball in the post and let me work" kind of center. He just doesn't have any consistently effective go-to move, and there is no threat of him turning and shooting over the top of the defense.

I do believe this partnership is going to work, but all the problems Howard has had, and all the flack he has received, has been his own doing. He needs to get a better grip on what he is good at, and learn to exploit that, rather than being unhappy because what he wants to be, is not what he is as a player. Either that, or develop a go-to move, a solid 12-15 foot turn-around jumper (ala Rasheed Wallace or Patrick Ewing), and get better at FT's. (I wouldn't bet on the second option at this stage of his career.)

damn, the numbers don't lie I guess I am wrong

I guess he just looks goofy doing it and delivers on it just like everything else.

kblo247
07-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Pringles is right. Rockets barely posted last year, just chucked 3s and isolated.

Dwight was fine on the pick and roll. He was dog **** on the block. He demanded post touches after Shaq belittled him to start the year and he was awful. There was no god damn reason he should've been that delusional. Kobe and Pau on the block were better. Dwight couldn't convert at a point per possssion rate, he turned it over a lot, and hack a Dwight compounded he awfulness. He was valuable when they changed said O to kobe isolates and draws the doubles and triples and Pau got the post while he stood his *** out of bounds and flashed back in for oops and put backs.

Dantoni does a lot of dumb **** like minute management, benching Pau, and playing kobe all game but he isn't lying when he said Dwight was an awful post guy and hurt the team more than helped there and would hurt the rockets if he demanded the same post touch amount which was second only to al Jefferson while limiting his pnr play severely. He will hurt them if he demands they slow down let alone keep Asik, and as far as harden goes citing his effiency when KD and Russ hid him on the perimeter isn't the same

Federal Reserve
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Dwight, like Shaq, left because of Kobe. No one wants to play with a self-centered, egotistical, wife-cheating ball hog.

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Daryl Morey. If this guy thinks Howard can make this team better, then I trust him. Seriously posters here think they know how to analyze, evaluate, and know what's better for the Rockets than Morey? Get real.

Howard will have a massive impact in Houston. What team in their right minds will double team him? Your going to leave Harden open? Parsons? He'll even Lin gets hot, at the four, Jones is a defensive liability but you can't leave him because he can shoot the 17ft shot with consistency.

I really can not wait for the Rockets to prove everyone wrong again.
Yes, who are we to question the great Daryl Morey. I mean, Houston has been so successful since he has been GM right? How many times have they been to the WCFs under him? How about the Finals? How about winning the title?

And the Rockets didn't prove anyone wrong last season. Everyone knew they were a one and done basketball team which they were getting swept in the 1st round.

I really cannot wait for the Rockets to be the biggest disappointment in basketball to STFU Rockets fans like yourself.

KingstonHawke
07-19-2013, 01:59 PM
I wonder if the ones of you who have said this realize how ******** it sounds when you say... Mchale will change his offense to make Dwight happy. Maybe at first, but if he changes the offense and it isn't working, he'll go with what he feels gives the team the best chance to win. And since he has one of the best pick and roll bigs, a bunch of shooters, and two of the better pick and roll guards on the team... that means we're going to see a ton of pick and roll.

Jenceman
07-19-2013, 02:02 PM
These guys don't get it. They've already drafted a damage control story in their heads where Dwight walked away because he's not man enough to take the torch.

Dwight's not a guy that wants the ball every time, but he is a guy that will be loud about strategy when it doesn't work out.

He *****ed because Van Gundy wouldn't give him the ball in late games. Some people see that as he's a prima donna and he needs to be the focus. Straight from the horses mouth he said what are we doing going away from me late in games, that is how we're in the game in the first place. Is he right, probly not, Stan is obviously afraid of Dwight at the FT line. BUT I think its less about him wanting the ball and more about trusting guys like Hedo Turkoglu.

Then again this year DWIGHT DOESNT WANT TO DO PNR, WANTS THE BALL IN THE POST. That again turns into Dwight is a prima donna wants to be the center of attention. News flash, PNR is not his strength. He is best in the post. But that turns into DWIGHT DONT WANNA, LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.

Dwight's offensive game is in the post. Is he the best? Nope. But you're lucky if your center breaks 10/10 these days. Is he top 5? Easy. And the defense that comes attached is what makes him BY FAR the best center in the NBA.

Have you seen his stats in the post, or hell even watched him in the post?

Snakeyestx
07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, who are we to question the great Daryl Morey. I mean, Houston has been so successful since he has been GM right? How many times have they been to the WCFs under him? How about the Finals? How about winning the title?

And the Rockets didn't prove anyone wrong last season. Everyone knew they were a one and done basketball team which they were getting swept in the 1st round.

I really cannot wait for the Rockets to be the biggest disappointment in basketball to STFU Rockets fans like yourself.

That's harsh bro... especially being a fan of the team that took all our scraps and trade-off's. Just sayin'

KingstonHawke
07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Pringles is right. Rockets barely posted last year, just chucked 3s and isolated.

Dwight was fine on the pick and roll. He was dog **** on the block. He demanded post touches after Shaq belittled him to start the year and he was awful. There was no god damn reason he should've been that delusional. Kobe and Pau on the block were better. Dwight couldn't convert at a point per possssion rate, he turned it over a lot, and hack a Dwight compounded he awfulness. He was valuable when they changed said O to kobe isolates and draws the doubles and triples and Pau got the post while he stood his *** out of bounds and flashed back in for oops and put backs.

Dantoni does a lot of dumb **** like minute management, benching Pau, and playing kobe all game but he isn't lying when he said Dwight was an awful post guy and hurt the team more than helped there and would hurt the rockets if he demanded the same post touch amount which was second only to al Jefferson while limiting his pnr play severely. He will hurt them if he demands they slow down let alone keep Asik, and as far as harden goes citing his effiency when KD and Russ hid him on the perimeter isn't the same

Benching Pau was a great move. What was dumb was letting him complain his way back into the line-up. I'm one of the few that actually love Pau's game. He's an all-star on the low block and no where else, but so is Howard. For that reason Howard and Pau were never a fit that made sense. If management wouldn't trade one or the other, it makes sense to use Pau off the bench and limit his minutes playing away from his ideal position. Pau could've EASILY been six man of the year, and he'd of still averaged at least 30 minutes a game.

steveweve
07-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Howard will find something to ***** about within a week into the season

kblo247
07-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Benching Pau was a great move. What was dumb was letting him complain his way back into the line-up. I'm one of the few that actually love Pau's game. He's an all-star on the low block and no where else, but so is Howard. For that reason Howard and Pau were never a fit that made sense. If management wouldn't trade one or the other, it makes sense to use Pau off the bench and limit his minutes playing away from his ideal position. Pau could've EASILY been six man of the year, and he'd of still averaged at least 30 minutes a game.
Thing is Pau closed the year fine on the block it was Dwight who should have vacated the paint in terms of posting up. Dwight was stubborn and hurt the team there because he was the third best post guy behind Kobe and Pau. Even Metta should have posted more since he wouldn't be hacked and he could convert. Dwight lacked touch, was turnover prone, and his fts made Shaq look like Nash at times.

Dwight's also kidding if he think Phil would have have him a Shaq role. He would've been garbage or flash control like Bynum or Horace.

Sandman
07-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Have you seen his stats in the post, or hell even watched him in the post?

have you looked around the league?

PhillyFaninLA
07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Saw a colgna ad and it really suprised me, the print said the product was created in response to the number of orginal topics on this site...here is what the tag line said, Obession Cologna: now comes in 3 fragrances Kobe, Lebron, and Dwight

teddygreen17
07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Um. They did not sacrifice a season, desire Dwight for 2 years to just be like "oh we got Dwight...same offense" are you serious? Their coach is Kevin M. They lacked inside presence last year that would have help tremendously. Clearly (SAS Voice) Your boy Mike is salty. Yup, and Dwight will absolutely destroy the Lakers this coming sense (and mark my words) - Will look directly at MIKE and say, We Want Phil.

rockets-fan
07-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Um idk what your talking about, but the Rockets were supposed to be a bottom lottery team last year. So you stfu.
Morey makes great moves that you wish your GM made so just be quiet already ok. You look like an idiot compared to Morey so yes I'm goin to trust him and not question him. Should the Rockets or any other NBA team in this league hire a poster from PSD? Cause y'all sure do think y'all know more than these professionals. Just be quiet and enjoy your teams season and I'll enjoy mine.

And yea I can't wait to see where your at when the Rockets shut up haters like yourself. I'm not going to argue with you anymore because you just seem to get into every other teams business instead of your own disappointing teams. Goodbye.

rockets-fan
07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Why can't people just stop talking about Dwight? Like in general not just bad, good too. Let the season play out. If he's so bad why are people still making threads about him?!? Or posting about him?!? If the Rockets made a bad move in your opinion great, move on why keep coming back to bashing Dwight I just don't get it?

KingstonHawke
07-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Thing is Pau closed the year fine on the block it was Dwight who should have vacated the paint in terms of posting up. Dwight was stubborn and hurt the team there because he was the third best post guy behind Kobe and Pau. Even Metta should have posted more since he wouldn't be hacked and he could convert. Dwight lacked touch, was turnover prone, and his fts made Shaq look like Nash at times.

Dwight's also kidding if he think Phil would have have him a Shaq role. He would've been garbage or flash control like Bynum or Horace.

Dwight should've vacated the paint? He can't score from anywhere else. If he vacates the paint then he basically becomes worthless. That's the last thing you want for a guy you plan on making the cornerstone of your business going forward lol.

The Lakers should've pick and rolled teams to death last year. They had the roster for it. They had the coach for it. In Jamison they had a great stretch 4 to pair with Howard. Kobe is insanely versatile, and showed us last year he can handle point guard duties when Nash isn't on the floor. The Lakers should've been really good last year. It's just too many egos that got in the way. Nobody but Kobe wanted to sacrifice for the team (tied his career high in assist and almost led the league in minutes) and that sacrifice cost him his achilles.

LegendsNvrDie23
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM

La gave him plenty of looks. It's not their fault Dwight has the offensive game of a high school freshmen. Nash would have made his game look great if he just listened to him. Dwight rather go one on one in the post just so he can get stripped or a make a wild banking shot.

Bruno
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
dantoni is such a moron.

ewmania
07-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Indiana , Miami, and i'm not sure but I rarely see Memphis use it they revolve around low posting with zach or marc

but anyway d'antoni is a idiot... his coaching is horrible and he always has a problem with a player. weather its shaq, or melo and now dwight. hell even larry hughes said his coaching was stupid in some way

dwight is a player that needs to surround himself by shooters just like they did in Orlando, stan played strictly inside & out basketball with dwight and that's why his numbers was so incredible. LAL didn't have enough spot up shooters around him and dwight is a pretty good passer in the post. Houston have pretty good spot up shooters so I see the situation in HOU way better than LAL

kblo247
07-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Dwight should've vacated the paint? He can't score from anywhere else. If he vacates the paint then he basically becomes worthless. That's the last thing you want for a guy you plan on making the cornerstone of your business going forward lol.

The Lakers should've pick and rolled teams to death last year. They had the roster for it. They had the coach for it. In Jamison they had a great stretch 4 to pair with Howard. Kobe is insanely versatile, and showed us last year he can handle point guard duties when Nash isn't on the floor. The Lakers should've been really good last year. It's just too many egos that got in the way. Nobody but Kobe wanted to sacrifice for the team (tied his career high in assist and almost led the league in minutes) and that sacrifice cost him his achilles.

Worded that poorly. He should have been playing pnr or like he did to close the year with Pau posting and him flashing to the rim, or standing 2 feet out the paint out of bounds and coming in for oops and putbacks to avoid the hack. Literally, Kobe told Pau just stand in the post, and Pau admitted it to reporters why he did that upon his return. Likewise it pushed Dwight into a flash guy who ate off Paus attention. They also had Dwight standing out of bounds to close the year if you watch the Portland, GS games, etc so the hack was illegal and 3secs wouldn't apply and he would come in for lobs or putbacks.

He was a terrible post player. Pau was a terrible jump shooter. They didnt play to their strengths because Shaq said Dwight was a euro big who couldn't post up like real Cs and Laker bigs of the past.

- According to My Synergy Sports, Dwight, who posted up 45.2% of the time (way too high) averaged 0.74 points per possession (worst in the league) and turned the ball over 18.2%. Only 11.4% of his offense derived from the pick-and-roll, where he averaged 1.29 points per possession and turned it over 10% of the time.

The lack of pnr despite it being effective speaks to Nash saying Dwight was uninterested in doing it and being there. It also speaks to why Metta before he was amnestied replied chemistry just got better when Dwight signed with Houston and Pau said he won't shed a tear Dwight is gone.

I will agree that they could've used Jamison more but jamison played better with Pau too. Dwight is a terrible passer. He only looks to throw it to stationary 3pt shooters. He missed cuts and reads that could get guys like Jamison going. And as far as pg play, Blake was out as well, and I think Blake outplayed Nash and Meeks at both guard roles, but its hard to say what happens there if Nash doesn't break his leg the second game of the season. The lakers did a disservice to Kobe, Dwight, and Dantoni by not bringing in another guard when they just had Morris and Duhon

Jays Claw
07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
So Houston wants to run an offense through Dwight? Easy. All you have to do is surround him with guys who can hit the 3-ball consistently. Isn't that what they did with him in Orlando (where he was a beast)? If all Dwight ever cared about was to be the man of a team, why did he want of Orlando in the first place?

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 05:05 PM
So Houston wants to run an offense through Dwight? Easy. All you have to do is surround him with guys who can hit the 3-ball consistently. Isn't that what they did with him in Orlando (where he was a beast)? If all Dwight ever cared about was to be the man of a team, why did he want of Orlando in the first place?

He wants to be the man with a good complimentary player.

In reality, we all know that Harden is better than Dwight overall and Dwight should be the one complimenting Harden not the other way around.

kblo247
07-19-2013, 05:08 PM

Orlando had two of the most unique ped using F tandems there was in Lewis and Turk, and that **** fell on its face when Phil didnt double Dwight like the eastern conference teams did. Bynum, Pau, and LO ... Even the game with foul trouble Mbenga and Powell when switched on him made him try and make a move, over simply everyone crashing down in the paint on him like Cleveland and the KG-less Boston team. They were making teams pay off pick and roll, switches, and help because of Turk and Shard. Its hard to imagine finding a 4 like that on the market right now, so Asik being moved is a must

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Um idk what your talking about, but the Rockets were supposed to be a bottom lottery team last year. So you stfu.
Morey makes great moves that you wish your GM made so just be quiet already ok. You look like an idiot compared to Morey so yes I'm goin to trust him and not question him. Should the Rockets or any other NBA team in this league hire a poster from PSD? Cause y'all sure do think y'all know more than these professionals. Just be quiet and enjoy your teams season and I'll enjoy mine.

And yea I can't wait to see where your at when the Rockets shut up haters like yourself. I'm not going to argue with you anymore because you just seem to get into every other teams business instead of your own disappointing teams. Goodbye.
The Rockets were supposed to be a bottom lottery team last year after they got Harden? LOL! Your either selling your team really short or have no knowledge of basketball!

And if your talking about before they got Harden, then yea they would have been a lottery team with no Harden.

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 05:15 PM
That's harsh bro... especially being a fan of the team that took all our scraps and trade-off's. Just sayin'
Dragic is still better than Lin and Scola is better than any PF on the Rockets. So yea those scraps didn't turn out too shabby.

*im not saying Phoenix is better than Houston cause we da worst team in the West and damn well proud of it! #teamwiggins

sep11ie
07-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Swept in the 1st round? I thought that series went 6 games...

AddiX
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
IT still boggles my mind that the lakers made mike d there head coach after seeing the mess mike created in ny. He was a complete disaster here, was completely exposed.

Iron24th
07-19-2013, 07:21 PM
The Rockets better not run the offense through dwight or they're done.

Keep it with harden, dwight needs to learn that he's far from good in offense, his strenght is defense.

Losoway
07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
uhh well mike thats where great coaciing comes into play. unlike you kevin mchale will figure out how to use dwight . and he will go back to being a beast

RiceOnTheRun
07-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I think the problem here is that D'Antoni doesn't seem to realize that a lot of coaches will change their offense and defensive style around the personel they have, unlike himself

This is now two consecutive jobs he's had they he has refused to change his offense to fit his best player(s)....first Knicks with Mello and now LA with Dwight and Gasol

Agreed. The Rockets are versatile enough that I think they can adjust to fit Dwight into their gameplan. I think the Lakers could've also, but y'know. D'antoni.

D-Leethal
07-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Indiana , Miami, and i'm not sure but I rarely see Memphis use it they revolve around low posting with zach or marc

but anyway d'antoni is a idiot... his coaching is horrible and he always has a problem with a player. weather its shaq, or melo and now dwight. hell even larry hughes said his coaching was stupid in some way

dwight is a player that needs to surround himself by shooters just like they did in Orlando, stan played strictly inside & out basketball with dwight and that's why his numbers was so incredible. LAL didn't have enough spot up shooters around him and dwight is a pretty good passer in the post. Houston have pretty good spot up shooters so I see the situation in HOU way better than LAL

Do you watch Miami play? Indy actually does run a lot of PnR. I will give you the Grizz they run more of a high-low offense.

Goose17
07-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I doubt they keep the same offense as last year. Houston have always built their teams around high-caliber big men, their style changed when they didn't have that anymore, but now that they do, they can play a different style.

Seems simple to me.

kobe4thewinbang
07-20-2013, 02:05 PM
D'Antoni says a lot. What's he do? Um, er, uh...it's on the tip of my tongue...

Nope, I got nothing.

:confused:

lpdunks8
07-20-2013, 02:23 PM

The word from inside the Lakers training facility is that at times Dwight refused to run P & R. When he did come up to set it; he slipped the screen instead of holding it and rolling.

I believe I saw an article stating that he was the #1 roll man statistically in the league a few times. He is statistically better at P&R yet believes he's a great post player.

BenFrank
07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I've been hearing people saying, Dwight doesn't like running the P&R, but every interview I've seen of Howard, and he's glowing about running the pick and roll with Harden, and how beneficial it will be.. I've come to realize Howard is the most hated person in sports, besides Hernandez, and people will just make up stuff to make it seem like they have a point.

Houston didn't have a low post game last year at all, Every guy on the team acknowledged that the offense will run though Howard in a inside, outside game. Harden is a more than willing passer.. don't understand how people are trying to make him out to be a selfish player

ManRam
07-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Now you know what Dwight wants?

He's a ****ing center. Name me a center in the last decade plus that has had the offense run through him.

Common sense.

He wants more touches, but "run the offense through him". Nah.

It is amazing how one year in Los Angeles has everyone forgetting everything else he's done in his career.

ManRam
07-20-2013, 02:52 PM
The word from inside the Lakers training facility is that at times Dwight refused to run P & R. When he did come up to set it; he slipped the screen instead of holding it and rolling.

I believe I saw an article stating that he was the #1 roll man statistically in the league a few times. He is statistically better at P&R yet believes he's a great post player.

I'd love to see that article. He's not great in the post, but he's never been good in the P&R either. Ever see him in Orlando? The P&R was not the focal point of the offense there...

jimm120
07-20-2013, 02:54 PM
I do believe that he's being hated on.

Its friggin DANTONI saying this. Dantoni is one of the worst coaches out there!!!!

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
He's a ****ing center. Name me a center in the last decade plus that has had the offense run through him.

Common sense.

He wants more touches, but "run the offense through him". Nah.

It is amazing how one year in Los Angeles has everyone forgetting everything else he's done in his career.

Shaq?

I find it so hilarious that since Dwight left LA you are all over his sac again. What has Dwight done exactly??? Get his *** whooped by Gasol in 2010?

tr3ymill3r
07-20-2013, 03:08 PM
D'antoni just sounds butthurt like the other Laker fans on here now too. He didn't and couldn't run the D'antoni system because he's got Kobe.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-20-2013, 03:11 PM
D'antoni just sounds butthurt like the other Laker fans on here now too. He didn't and couldn't run the D'antoni system because he's got Kobe.

Please elaborate...

ManRam
07-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Shaq?

I find it so hilarious that since Dwight left LA you are all over his sac again. What has Dwight done exactly??? Get his *** whooped by Gasol in 2010?

There's a difference between being on his nuts and not thinking he's the spawn of satan/the worst player in the league. I'm neither...you just think that since I'm not the latter I'm therefore the former. That's stupid.

If people hadn't all caught amnesia about how good he is as a player I wouldn't chime in. I don't like Dwight, at all. But unlike some I can separate emotions from my ability to reason. The slander train has gone way overboard.

lakers4sho
07-20-2013, 03:20 PM
If Morey really knows what hes doing, like most of the rockets fans here seem to be swearing on, then Mchale will be fired within the next few months or so.

ManRam
07-20-2013, 03:25 PM
If Morey really knows what hes doing, like most of the rockets fans here seem to be swearing on, then Mchale will be fired within the next few months or so.

Well, I think McHale earns the benefit of coaching some games at least...

McHale has been fine since he went to Houston. I think rather than assuming how he'll coach this team the actual smart thing to do would be to see how he actually does coach this team.

DaLakerz Rulz
07-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I'd love to see that article. He's not great in the post, but he's never been good in the P&R either. Ever see him in Orlando? The P&R was not the focal point of the offense there...

Its already been mentioned on here. Look at synergy - at least for last year he converted on 80% of his shots in P&R as the roll man (second only to his % in transition), compared to 45% posting up. I don't know what you consider good, but his offense in P&R was vastly greater than his ****** post game last year. Granted they weren't getting him in good position. It would be interesting to see the stats from his Orlando days.

ManRam
07-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Shaq?

Another option: maybe I've removed emotion from my train of thought :shrug:

And I think you mean 2009. And I don't think Dwight got his *** whooped by Pau. 15-15-2-2-4 ain't too shabby. The Lakers were just a far superior team.

Dwight was very good in those playoffs. Besides LeBron and maybe Kobe it's hard to say anyone else was clearly better :shrug:

Dwight's done plenty to prove he's more than a second rate scrub...something Lakers fans are doing everything possible to convince themselves he is.

ManRam
07-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Its already been mentioned on here. Look at synergy - at least for last year he converted on 80% of his shots in P&R as the roll man (second only to his % in transition), compared to 45% posting up. I don't know what you consider good, but his offense in P&R was vastly greater than his ****** post game last year. Granted they weren't getting him in good position. It would be interesting to see the stats from his Orlando days.

I just dug into it. I guess my eyes were deceiving me. Orlando rarely ran the P&R, but he did rank in the top-2 in P&R finishing during his last two years there. Maybe the relative infrequency played into that. He dropped off last year (I'm not seeing 80%) but was still near the top.

It is very curious. I do just think, and perhaps it is indeed contradicted by what happened in LA (all this negative stuff about him is conveniently coming out after he left), but as long as his team is doing well and he's playing well I doubt he'll complain. That was true in Orlando...and that's true for most any non-psychotic person.

He's a headcase, but like any headcase as long as he's having success he'll be content. There was no success in LA.

I was accused of being a Howard-hater when he was in Orlando because I HATED the idea of running an offense through Dwight, which many fans wanted. If you get Dwight moving around and the defenses moving around as well, he's a beast. You just have to be creative. So I guess that explains why the P&R helps Dwight so much because it causes defenses to shift and adjust and he can score in a wide variety of ways moving towards the basket.

DaLakerz Rulz
07-20-2013, 03:53 PM
I was accused of being a Howard-hater when he was in Orlando because I HATED the idea of running an offense through Dwight, which many fans wanted. If you get Dwight moving around and the defenses moving around as well, he's a beast. You just have to be creative. So I guess that explains why the P&R helps Dwight so much because it causes defenses to shift and adjust and he can score in a wide variety of ways moving towards the basket.

I don't know if Dwight did not full embrace P&R and playing with Nash or Kobe like many are saying. That is all speculation at the end of the day. What I do remember is what came straight from Dwight several times throughout the season. He wanted the ball in the post so he could play inside-out or post-up. Unfortunately, the Lakers did not have the right team to play that style. But if Dwight really wanted to make it work he would have adjusted. Hell he should STILL adjust now to what is proven to be more effective, because playing offense the way he wants to is just not working for him and is not maximizing his talent.

RiceOnTheRun
07-20-2013, 04:28 PM

And I think you mean 2009. And I don't think Dwight got his *** whooped by Pau. 15-15-2-2-4 ain't too shabby. The Lakers were just a far superior team.

Dwight was very good in those playoffs. Besides LeBron and maybe Kobe it's hard to say anyone else was clearly better :shrug:

Dwight's done plenty to prove he's more than a second rate scrub...something Lakers fans are doing everything possible to convince themselves he is.

^

Laker fans are complaining about how he's a traitor and ****, which I just can't grasp. He was with that team for one ****ing season and all of a sudden he's obliged to sign with them for life. They forget he left another team to join them in the first place, but that doesn't matter to them does it? If anything, I would think Orlando would have the most to hate him for.

Also, big men have never had a high usage rating in the modern NBA. Earlier on perhaps, when you could simply dump the ball off to Wilt and have him walk it to the basket, but nowadays, there is no offense in the game that runs through a single big man. Either you balance the spread of the ball or have a guard-run offense to keep the ball moving. Even Shaq usually hung around the 26% usage rating which is about average for the top offensive centers in the league even now. Now, Dwight isn't as stupid as many people think he is, and he probably knows this just as well. He doesn't want to be Kobe Bryant for crying out loud, he just wants to be a part of the offense. As Shaq once said, "If you feed the big dog, he will guard the yard. If you don't feed him, he's just going to walk around and get bored, and he ain't going to do ****."

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Pau and Odom didn't allow Dwight to get a single dunk till game three. Many people had the Magic in six, so stop acting like we had a super team.

Dwight will never be the leader of a team for the rest of his career, Nor should he be.

John Walls Era
07-21-2013, 04:29 AM
D'Antoni won't like unemployment

MonroeFAN
07-21-2013, 07:17 AM
How is he still coaching? Whether he's right or not.

SportsFanatic10
07-21-2013, 07:23 AM
D'Antoni won't like unemployment

this

Marques24kobe
07-21-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm not a MDA supporter, but I have to give credit to the guy for slightly changing his style. And that was evident in our second half record. And that was with a banged up team with no bench.

The thing that will leave a bad taste in my mouth is if in fact he didn't want to change his style of play for the team. And then basically quitting on the team at the end of year. Bynum basically did the same thing two years ago and got blasted for it.

But I agree with MDA on that he needs to accept his strengths and weaknesses. This guy is by far when healthy the best defensive player in the league. But he is not a good low post player when getting the ball with his back to the hoop. And I don't think that's going to change.

If he accepts that Houston will be a very good team. I think with this whole new contract circus behind him and his back and shoulder healthier he will return to his form of two years ago. But only time will tell! It will be an exciting year. The west is going to be nasty.

HowFit
07-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Why can't people just stop talking about Dwight? Like in general not just bad, good too. Let the season play out. If he's so bad why are people still making threads about him?!? Or posting about him?!? If the Rockets made a bad move in your opinion great, move on why keep coming back to bashing Dwight I just don't get it?

That's an oxymoron question. Always been one of the most talked about since day 1 til the day he retires, or maybe a few weeks afterwards. Being the drama queen he is, what do anyone expect?

smuffins353
07-21-2013, 09:26 AM
And this is why I said Harden and Dwight will have problems because there is no way on earth that Harden is going to pass it to Dwight in the low post 20+ times a game.

Lakers fas just need to STFU. Dwight is gone and is never coming back. Just focus on how high the Lakers are gonna finish in the draft this year. Us Rockets fans will discuss our teams top 4 seeding

AsiandudePH
07-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Lakers fas just need to STFU. Dwight is gone and is never coming back. Just focus on how high the Lakers are gonna finish in the draft this year. Us Rockets fans will discuss our teams top 4 seeding

Feels good to have a contending team, yes? I mean, we still have to see Houston in action first, but yeah, still it feels good to have a good roster.

See, we Lakers fans have enjoyed a lot of championships before. It's not every season we're contending, but definitely way more than Houston ever did.

So enjoy your high horse, sir. It'll only last a few years and by then, sooner than later, the Lakers will be back on top.

ldawg
07-21-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't know if Dwight did not full embrace P&R and playing with Nash or Kobe like many are saying. That is all speculation at the end of the day. What I do remember is what came straight from Dwight several times throughout the season. He wanted the ball in the post so he could play inside-out or post-up. Unfortunately, the Lakers did not have the right team to play that style. But if Dwight really wanted to make it work he would have adjusted. Hell he should STILL adjust now to what is proven to be more effective, because playing offense the way he wants to is just not working for him and is not maximizing his talent.Its not speculations that is one of the reasons he left both Lakers and Orlando he wanted more touches in the paint, wanted the ball more in crunch time and felt he deserve a say in the players signed. Howard became a distraction over being a franchise player over the last three years. His teammates loses respect for him so how can he lead them? He is always looking for a new start. Howard is so bad he even made his friend in Brooklyn mad and they decided to move on. Howard talent is not the problem.

ldawg
07-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Howard issues trace all the way back to Orlando not just in LA. This is why some La fans did not want him to the Lakers. I Even notice some fans in Houston was not sure going for the more expensive Howard over Asik was a good Idea. Its just keeping it real not everyone is being a hater. The dude ability goes without question it just everything else. His teammates in Orlando did not respect him or did he have that in La. In fact it was more that he needed leadership. Leading Houston younger club in a smaller market with less expectations and more forgiven fans suit Howard personality. He was not a good fit for the Lakers and they were not a good fit for him. IMO Houston did very well in getting both Harden and Howard and they got them at a reasonable rate. Personally i dont think you can win titles with Howard as your best player he is more likely piece of the puzzle. All Mike is asking why dont he do what he is good at rather than trying to be what he is not. It gives his team a better shot at being successful over personal goals.

sunnydayin'zona
07-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Why does anyone still listen to D'Antoni?! Just because he's fairly incapable of changing his philosophy (although he did a bit for Lakers last year) doesn't mean other coaches are so dense and unwilling to change systems. Pop changed the Spurs the last couple years to suit the players brought in and from Duncan to Parker lead role.

So why would another intelligent coach who was a post up big man himself not play to his players strength?! Especially when they recruited Dwight and did promise they're revolve around him.

Look, D'Antoni is known for having a system on offense that allows basically any no name player to thrive and earn a name for himself. Especially with Nash. Now, D'Antoni and Nash couldn't even make Dwight look good on offense last year. I hate the Lakers but I bet that they're better next year without Dwight.

Verbal Christ
07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Pau and Odom didn't allow Dwight to get a single dunk till game three. Many people had the Magic in six, so stop acting like we had a super team.

Dwight will never be the leader of a team for the rest of his career, Nor should he be.

LOL what kind of subjective and emotionally charged comment is that? Sounds more like somebody hoping that he doesnt become a better player and leader, because like it or not Dwight Howard does command respect on the court and its scorned fans like you that really give LA fanbase a bad name. "Nor should he be" LMAO what does that even mean? Sooo funny.

ldawg
07-22-2013, 07:24 AM
LOL what kind of subjective and emotionally charged comment is that? Sounds more like somebody hoping that he doesnt become a better player and leader, because like it or not Dwight Howard does command respect on the court and its scorned fans like you that really give LA fanbase a bad name. "Nor should he be" LMAO what does that even mean? Sooo funny.Yes its funny to say he should not be a leader, he is only three years remove. He is still young so he can mature as a person so i see no reason why he cannot on a younger club. As a player however I dont think he will improve much but I could be wrong. While still young he has been in the NBA for a while so history tells me he wont. bearing no major injury he has 7 good years left before the decline. Its not from the lack of trying but i think what you see is what you got.

ztilzer31
07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
How many years of being wrong till all the Lakers fans leave this forum? Seriously I'm just tired of Lakers fans trying to convince us what players are good, and what ones aren't...

Three years of them trying to tell us LBJ doesn't want to win, and doesn't have to heart. Now they've switched to Dwight. Pathetic fan base. If you guys aren't winning you're just hating on everyone that is better.

b@llhog24
07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Why the **** does Dumbtoni care? It's not his problem anymore.

b@llhog24
07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
He's right, as constructed last season, he won't like it. Let's see how they change it up. I think Harden's efficiency drops if they slow it down too much, and he already chucked alot to end the year

Not a chance, assuming health isn't a concern. And even for argument's sake that if it does, he'll still be in the elite tier of efficiency.

L8kers4life
07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
How many years of being wrong till all the Lakers fans leave this forum? Seriously I'm just tired of Lakers fans trying to convince us what players are good, and what ones aren't...

Three years of them trying to tell us LBJ doesn't want to win, and doesn't have to heart. Now they've switched to Dwight. Pathetic fan base. If you guys aren't winning you're just hating on everyone that is better.

I'm seriously excited about this bet. But for the record, I love LBJ, and he is the greatest player in the game since MJ. Also, I think Dwight is a Top ten player in this league, My hate for Dwight came before he ever signed. I'm a huge Bynum fan and I use to take a lot of grief because of it. My problem with Dwight has to do with him lying contsantly, about SVG, his teamates, where he wants to play, how he wants to play. It's ridiculous, he is the definition of a pre madonna. Also, I understand Dwight did not choose to come to LA, but why could he not just give his best effort while he was here, and don't go out in the pl;ayoffs like a little B***H. He gave up on the lakers long before that happened, but that hurt his reputation here and it was painfull to watch.:clap:

ztilzer31
07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm seriously excited about this bet. But for the record, I love LBJ, and he is the greatest player in the game since MJ. Also, I think Dwight is a Top ten player in this league, My hate for Dwight came before he ever signed. I'm a huge Bynum fan and I use to take a lot of grief because of it. My problem with Dwight has to do with him lying contsantly, about SVG, his teamates, where he wants to play, how he wants to play. It's ridiculous, he is the definition of a pre madonna. Also, I understand Dwight did not choose to come to LA, but why could he not just give his best effort while he was here, and don't go out in the pl;ayoffs like a little B***H. He gave up on the lakers long before that happened, but that hurt his reputation here and it was painfull to watch.:clap:

Maybe you're right. Maybe that's how your opinion has gone, but a lot of the same fans were in here every day trolling LBJ, and discrediting his abilities, and now the same ones are doing the same thing to Dwight..

I've said it before. I'm not going through another season of this forum where Lakers fans decide who's good or not because they are upset about something.

I'm not a huge Dwight guy either. I mean I think he's amazing defensively, but I've been saying he's mediocre offensively for years, but Lakers fans trying to convince everyone that the Rockets are worse with Dwight is just beyond irritating...

Sure they might need a year to be a contender or something, and mesh, but Dwight is a big time player on a team he wants to be on... Let's not ignore his talents on a basketball court just because he's acted like a child in the past, and the Lakers had a rough season last year.

Bynum is a better center offensively IMO, but on defense he's no where near the same level as Dwight. I actually like Bynum too.

fresh prince
07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Its true if they keep it the same way but from what we heard from McHale and Morey during their recruitment process of Dwight, it seems as if they are going to change their offense and revolve it and run it through Dwight instead of Harden like last season.At least I'm guessing that's what they told Howard.

That would not be good for Houston. Dwight is simply not a player you can run your offense through. He just isnt good enough on the block , he's a brutal free throw shooter, he's turn over prone and he's a a terrble passer. He is best off the ball flashing weak to stong where he makes the defense collaspe in and creates spacing for shooters. Thats how he was used in Orlando and thats where he is most effective. He's just not a dump the ball in and get out the way kind of post player.

Chronz
07-23-2013, 01:19 PM
That would not be good for Houston. Dwight is simply not a player you can run your offense through. He just isnt good enough on the block , he's a brutal free throw shooter, he's turn over prone and he's a a terrble passer. He is best off the ball flashing weak to stong where he makes the defense collaspe in and creates spacing for shooters. Thats how he was used in Orlando and thats where he is most effective. He's just not a dump the ball in and get out the way kind of post player.

I cant let one injured season in LA override what I've seen his entire stay in Orlando. Hes not the dominant post up guy that he thinks he is but he was improving every year until he got to LA. We've already seen him lead some pretty good offenses built around posting Dwight up. Its possible that Dwight never returns, but he said so himself, he needed an entire year to build up the strength/explosiveness he used to have. Ill give him another year or so. I honestly cant think of him playing any worse than he did in LA.

sunsfan88
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
You are correct but I think Houston guaranteed him all that which is why he chose Houston. Even their coach said that their going to make him the focal point of the offense or something like that.

LegendsNvrDie23
07-23-2013, 05:39 PM
You are correct but I think Houston guaranteed him all that which is why he chose Houston. Even their coach said that their going to make him the focal point of the offense or something like that.

For the sake of the team, they better hope Dwight is not the number one option over Harden. It will be the biggest mistake ever.

Aust
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Bleh, who cares what Pringles has to say

rockets-fan
07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Harden will still be the Rockets number one option. And I. Sure Howard knows that to.

ztilzer31
07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
For the sake of the team, they better hope Dwight is not the number one option over Harden. It will be the biggest mistake ever.

Of course he won't be. Harden is a scorer. Just because Harden is the go to guy on offense though, doesn't mean he's the best player, and sure as hell doesn't mean you don't need a plan for getting Dwight the ball.

Tony_Starks
07-23-2013, 05:54 PM
DAntoni is a bumbling buffoon but for once he is correct. Until Dwight realizes what type of player he needs to be and what his limitations are no team with him as the focal point will ever get a chip. But when he's not the focal point he pouts and screws up team chemistry so you're basically screwed either way until he grows up.

fresh prince
07-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I cant let one injured season in LA override what I've seen his entire stay in Orlando. Hes not the dominant post up guy that he thinks he is but he was improving every year until he got to LA. We've already seen him lead some pretty good offenses built around posting Dwight up. Its possible that Dwight never returns, but he said so himself, he needed an entire year to build up the strength/explosiveness he used to have. Ill give him another year or so. I honestly cant think of him playing any worse than he did in LA.

I'll admit I didnt analyze Dwights game as much until he got to LA but what we ( im including you in this) saw last year had nothing to do with a lack of explosion or athleticism. It was poor footwork, poor post postioning , bad hands, awful passing and not a single go to move in the post. No that fade away running left hand hook does not count! I mean not even a drop step to a jump hook consistently.

I think to a degree we've been spolied in LA by what dominate post play should look like and Dwight just doesnt have any of those traits. I do agree with your point in one aspect. I think his lack of explosion last year limited his ability to finish through contact, which for him being such a brutal foul shooter is key. You have to make dudes pay for those "no layup" fouls with some potential and ones and Dwight just couldnt do that last season.

I expect him to be better in Houston; more confortable more motivated and probably more healthy. But I dont ever expect to se the athletic freak who kinda dominated the league we saw earlier in his career. He's going to need to develop post skill in order to be great. Fortunately for D12 he has two of the best that ever did it at his beck and call in Hakeem and Mchale

Chronz
07-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Im confused by your post, do we agree that Dwights athletic based game suffered from a relative lack of athleticism?

Cuz I do think Dwight has more moves in the post than you give him credit for, its just not a viable option for him anymore because of his sapped athleticism. Which means he has nothing but the rudimentary moves at his disposal but they were effective when he had the power in his game. That rip through in the post was non existent this year. And he had a decent hook that came off that move, he was working on game before the spasms.

Its shocking that he didn't work with Kareem to continue improving but then again, nobody likes working with Kareem and rarely do players use the mid season to work with players on their games.

xabial
07-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Dwight-Harden seem's like a poor man's Kobe-Shaq.

fresh prince
07-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Im confused by your post, do we agree that Dwights athletic based game suffered from a relative lack of athleticism?

Cuz I do think Dwight has more moves in the post than you give him credit for, its just not a viable option for him anymore because of his sapped athleticism. Which means he has nothing but the rudimentary moves at his disposal but they were effective when he had the power in his game. That rip through in the post was non existent this year. And he had a decent hook that came off that move, he was working on game before the spasms.

Its shocking that he didn't work with Kareem to continue improving but then again, nobody likes working with Kareem and rarely do players use the mid season to work with players on their games.

Yes we agree that the athleticism loss played a role in his poor play. But I think that only played a role in his not being able to fnish through contact. Plenty of dudes with bad backs still moved well in the post. Ewing & Robinson for example still displayed post game with back issues.

My other point is that like those two bigs the likelihood of Dwight ever returning to that awe insipring atheltic force is unlikely. He will look alot more like the guy we saw last year in La than the guy we saw in Orlando from here on out.

If he works on his post game however he could still be a great player. Right now he is not.

L8kers4life
07-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Of course he won't be. Harden is a scorer. Just because Harden is the go to guy on offense though, doesn't mean he's the best player, and sure as hell doesn't mean you don't need a plan for getting Dwight the ball.

Agree with you on this, the rockets better have a clear plan on how they are going to get Dwight ball, cuz if they dont, expect drama. Dwight was the best all around player on the Lakers last year and easily the best defender but Dwight did not want to hear that, all he cared about was the lakers needed to get him more post touches.

L8kers4life
07-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Harden will still be the Rockets number one option. And I. Sure Howard knows that to.

This is Hysterical, if you think the Rockets told Dwight he would be the 2nd option on offense you are in for a rude awakening, the Rockets promised Dwight the world! I guarantee they told him he would be option 1 and if he is, the Rockets will be in trouble, he is turn over prone, has no reliable post moves and has stated he does not want to run the pick and roll. Not to mention you he cant shoot free throws and has no shooting touch, with him and Lin, there will be a lot of turnovers. Good luck with that!

ldawg
07-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Well we all or most of us at least know Howard is two faced and wish washy. This is why Dantoni laugh. Howard left his team in Orlando and Left LA for the same reasons only to jump in the same situation. Howard has said in the past he dont want to play in the pick and role and wanted more post plays. Well he also said him and Harden is going to be great in the pick and role and its also noted Houston was the quickest team in the NBA last season and found success doing so, another thing Howard hated about Mike system. Its safe to say Howard is a confused person and just trying to find comfort. Howard will play to his strengths in Houston and not refuse like he did in Orlando and LA he cant keep running. He will hear the same old song but he will give in this time around. Howard is not a great post player, shooter or even passer so Harden will play how he always played fast and attacking the rim. Again Howard will play to his strengths crashing the boards, get easy lay ups, lobs, run the pick and role, rebound, block alter shots. Sure the will dump the ball in to keep him happy or at least try to and Hakeem ans Mchale will try to help him with his game but Houston is going as far as Harden takes them with the help of Howard. They will be a very good 1 two punch if Howard keeps his head on.

KingstonHawke
07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Worded that poorly. He should have been playing pnr or like he did to close the year with Pau posting and him flashing to the rim, or standing 2 feet out the paint out of bounds and coming in for oops and putbacks to avoid the hack. Literally, Kobe told Pau just stand in the post, and Pau admitted it to reporters why he did that upon his return. Likewise it pushed Dwight into a flash guy who ate off Paus attention. They also had Dwight standing out of bounds to close the year if you watch the Portland, GS games, etc so the hack was illegal and 3secs wouldn't apply and he would come in for lobs or putbacks.

He was a terrible post player. Pau was a terrible jump shooter. They didnt play to their strengths because Shaq said Dwight was a euro big who couldn't post up like real Cs and Laker bigs of the past.

- According to My Synergy Sports, Dwight, who posted up 45.2% of the time (way too high) averaged 0.74 points per possession (worst in the league) and turned the ball over 18.2%. Only 11.4% of his offense derived from the pick-and-roll, where he averaged 1.29 points per possession and turned it over 10% of the time.

The lack of pnr despite it being effective speaks to Nash saying Dwight was uninterested in doing it and being there. It also speaks to why Metta before he was amnestied replied chemistry just got better when Dwight signed with Houston and Pau said he won't shed a tear Dwight is gone.

I will agree that they could've used Jamison more but jamison played better with Pau too. Dwight is a terrible passer. He only looks to throw it to stationary 3pt shooters. He missed cuts and reads that could get guys like Jamison going. And as far as pg play, Blake was out as well, and I think Blake outplayed Nash and Meeks at both guard roles, but its hard to say what happens there if Nash doesn't break his leg the second game of the season. The lakers did a disservice to Kobe, Dwight, and Dantoni by not bringing in another guard when they just had Morris and Duhon

Ok, we definitely agree with each other about Dwight. And even though I think D'Antonio mismanaged the situation, his GM put him in a really tough spot. You have to appease Howard to get him to stay, but appeasing him in terms of style of play equals losing which would force him to leave anyway. I really hope Howard sucks it up in Houston next year. He's just not a like able guy. But the again, my favorite personalities in the league are Kobe, Westbrook and Paul.

ragee
07-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Kobe and Harden are two different type of players.

ldawg
07-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Kobe and Harden are two different type of players. I agree Howard is also not even close to being as dominant as shaq. So in all angles they are a poor man version of shaq and Kobe.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Homeless man's is a better way of putting it.

ztilzer31
07-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Why are some of the Lakers fans acting like what happened in Orlando is even COMPARABLE to what happened in LA.

Don't hate Dwight because he didn't want to play for the monopoly guy. Hate your dumb owner for picking the monopoly guy over Phil Jack.

Dwight didn't tear up your team. He didn't demand Kobe be traded. He went to an organization where he didin't want to be, and left. Show some respect. Him and Kobe are the only reason you guys weren't a lottery team this year.

ztilzer31
07-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Dwight said it himself. He has nothing against Dantoni, but he wanted to play with Phil Jackson... Can anyone blame him? Lakers have no talent, and an owner who chooses Dantoni over Phil Jackson?

Lakers have themselves to blame on this one, and no one else. I wouldn't play for an owner that made a decision that dumb either.

quartz
07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike dantoni is so lost. He wanted to limit Dwight to a role player. The rockets offense was what it was out of necessity, the lakers offense was what it was because dantoni is stubborn and one dimensional.

He should be happy Dwight left, they didn't fit each other and dantoni probably woulda got fired. On top of that pau gasol fits his system much better. They should be happy about this The lakers will be fine.

ldawg
07-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Mike dantoni is so lost. He wanted to limit Dwight to a role player. The rockets offense was what it was out of necessity, the lakers offense was what it was because dantoni is stubborn and one dimensional.

He should be happy Dwight left, they didn't fit each other and dantoni probably woulda got fired. On top of that pau gasol fits his system much better. They should be happy about this The lakers will be fine. Howard fits Dantoini system more than he thinks and Howard will play a very similar style in Houston like he did in Orlando. The problem with Lakers was Gasol was better at center and Artest was a very bad fit D would lag off him. Transition was Lakers problem they just could not get back. Howard want the ball dump into him in the post However that was not his strength last season with a bad back. Lakers tried to dump the ball into Howard but the results were not good. The goal moving forward was to get more shooter and get more athletic cough cough Houston Rockets. Once the floor opens he gets more opportunity in the post. However Howard strength is not in a slow it down game with set post plays that he lobby for. Howard get most of his points off broken plays while crashing the boards or when a guard break down the D and set him up for an ally. Howard do not have a series of moves in the post but if he catches the ball early before the d set and he gets deep position you got to find him He can convert from there with his mini running sky hook. He is a monster on the boards his greatest strength and a good shot blocker. Make no mistake Howard is no Hakeem or Kareem in the post not very good with his back to the basket or is he a good passer from their either but he is an Athletic Active body in the middle that help win u games. I i would rate Howard it would be a cross between Shaq and Ben Wallace. No player is perfect they all have weak areas and Howard makes up for his lack of post moves but he has to know his limitations for the better of the team. Once he accept that the old Howard will return and i think it will in Houston Most of the guys are young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYO8Bawzmzg

ldawg
07-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Why are some of the Lakers fans acting like what happened in Orlando is even COMPARABLE to what happened in LA.

Don't hate Dwight because he didn't want to play for the monopoly guy. Hate your dumb owner for picking the monopoly guy over Phil Jack.

"Dwight didn't tear up your team. He didn't demand Kobe be traded. He went to an organization where he didin't want to be, and left. Show some respect. Him and Kobe are the only reason you guys weren't a lottery team this year.Not because u critique a player mean that you hate him. You must not have been around long those critiques were there before he became a Laker. Did u not hear what Mitch said about Laker fans lack of love for Howard? Espn even had a debate if Lakers should resign Howard. Houston fans had their reserve are they haters too?

The Lakers are done and Dwight's contract is up. With all of the rumors of him leaving and Houston being a potential landing spot my question is this..

Do we actually need/want D12? Look at where we are without him and the chemistry we have. Is he the piece of the puzzle that we need to reach the next level?

I seem to think that we may be better off without him, granted, the man is talented but to bring a cancer into the locker room is something we really don't need. I'm fine with Asik and another max player to play along side Harden, I personaly think he will hurt us more than help us..

i have mix feelings about Howard. On hand hand, he's obviously a great player. On the other, he's needs to grow the f up.

i honestly rather keep who we have now and have us get a star PF somehow...whether it's Love, Aldridge, or Josh Smith. c'mon Morey...work your magic!

It might have been because of the uniforms, but Dwight looked smaller in LA than in Orlando. I guess in Orlando he played bigger and was above the rim more. Too be perfectly honest, I would much rather wait one more year and go after Kevin Love. He played under McHale in Minnesota and would fit perfectly as the PF for the currently constructed team. I'm not saying Lin needs to go, but I could see him offered in the off season with the emergence of Beverly."

just a few

quartz
07-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Howard fits Dantoini system more than he thinks and Howard will play a very similar style in Houston like he did in Orlando. The problem with Lakers was Gasol was better at center and Artest was a very bad fit D would lag off him. Transition was Lakers problem they just could not get back. Howard want the ball dump into him in the post However that was not his strength last season with a bad back. Lakers tried to dump the ball into Howard but the results were not good. The goal moving forward was to get more shooter and get more athletic cough cough Houston Rockets. Once the floor opens he gets more opportunity in the post. However Howard strength is not in a slow it down game with set post plays that he lobby for. Howard get most of his points off broken plays while crashing the boards or when a guard break down the D and set him up for an ally. Howard do not have a series of moves in the post but if he catches the ball early before the d set and he gets deep position you got to find him He can convert from there with his mini running sky hook. He is a monster on the boards his greatest strength and a good shot blocker. Make no mistake Howard is no Hakeem or Kareem in the post not very good with his back to the basket or is he a good passer from their either but he is an Athletic Active body in the middle that help win u games. I i would rate Howard it would be a cross between Shaq and Ben Wallace. No player is perfect they all have weak areas and Howard makes up for his lack of post moves but he has to know his limitations for the better of the team. Once he accept that the old Howard will return and i think it will in Houston Most of the guys are young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYO8Bawzmzg

Dwight led a team to the finals being the go to player in the post. Dantoni openly admits he doesn't want/need post plays, That's Where he and melo beef came from, why he didnt want shaq, and why amare is just learnig a post game 10 years into his career. Dantoni wanted Dwight to accept being a Kenneth faried type player, when this Dwight's clearly more versatile than that. Could Dwight have made it work better and tried to play that role, absolutely. But everybody should be happy purely for basketball reasons things turned out the way they did. Dantoni says the type of stuff he says as a defense mechanism, cause Dwight says if Phil Jackson was hired things woulda been different. Houston is the best fit for Dwight, the offense was the way it was out of necessity based on there personnel, the lakers offense is based on the one dimensional small ball minded mike dantoni.