PDA

View Full Version : NBA Changes Some Instant Replay Rules and More!

lamzoka
07-19-2013, 02:25 AM
First, the three replay changes.

When reviewing a block/charge play to determine whether the defender was inside or outside the restricted area, officials will now be permitted to reverse a charge call, or uphold a blocking call, when the defender was outside the restricted area but was not set when the offensive player began his upward shooting motion.

This change appears to be the most important of the bunch. Previously, referees were only able to change or uphold this call based on the defender's position relative to the restricted area. Under this new guideline, officials will be able to assess what was previously a split-decision call (i.e. "was the defender set?") with the help of slow-motion replay. This could be the rule change that eventually gives referees the latitude to look at more kinds of judgment calls after the fact, all in in the interest of getting things right.

To determine whether an off-ball foul occurred before or after a player has started his shooting motion on a successful shot attempt, or before or after the ball was released on a throw-in.

This call does not occur very often, frankly, but that might only be because it was previously close-to-impossible to have one ref notice two events occurring simultaneously, or to have two officials agree upon the timing of those same two events. I would guess that this still won't be called much, if only because officials typically seem unwilling to call off-ball fouls in any situation.

During the review of any instant replay situation to permit the officials to assess the appropriate penalties of any unsportsmanlike and unnecessary acts (e.g. flagrant fouls) that are observed during the instant replay reviews.

This rule is a bit unclear, but it appears to allow officials to notice flagrant or technical fouls during unrelated replay reviews, start a new replay review to assess the severity of those infractions, and then make calls for those acts even if they didn't see them in real time. The decision makes some sense there's no real reason to allow unsportsmanlike behavior just because the referees missed it as it was happening.

Now, the two changes to on-court rules.

On clear path to the basket fouls, it will no longer be considered a clear path foul if at any point before the foul is committed, the defender who commits the foul is positioned ahead of the offensive player in the frontcourt.

This is my favorite change of the bunch, if only because it figures to make calling clear-path fouls much easier than before. In recent seasons, referees have spent far too long looking at video reviews of clear-path calls in which defenders were very close to being in front of the ballhandler. Now, officials have a much clearer reason not to call the clear-path foul, because it now only applies to plays in which the defender chases the offensive player from behind.

A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.

I'm not sure if players hanging out in the stands to avoid playing offense was a particularly big problem, but at least they now have a special reason not to. I guess this means that one-way players like Reggie Evans can't steal fans' popcorn while their teammates run plays.
For those inclined to believe that the NBA should do whatever possible to get every play right, these changes are a very good thing. In particular, the changes to replay reviews will allow referees to see more and get more calls correct, which would figure to make competition fairer. This is a noble goal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nba-board-governors-approves-five-changes-instant-replay-031515172.html

TrueFan420
07-19-2013, 02:31 AM
"A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances."

A too little subjective there at the end. Not to so sure how I feel about that.

lamzoka
07-19-2013, 02:32 AM
-

lamzoka
07-19-2013, 02:32 AM
"A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances."

yea thats a ****ing joke

TrueFan420
07-19-2013, 02:33 AM
The last 1 is a joke

Just another way for refs to have too much input. I can see them messing with some teams with that rule.

Chronz
07-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Great changes, games might last alil longer tho

hornetsfansydne
07-19-2013, 03:53 AM

I see this rule to stop cherry picking essentially. Player A on offense trys to save the ball but instead throws it to the defense and falls into the stands (like McGee did a while back and was on Shaqtin a fool for it), then doesnt hustle back on D. Their team gets the ball back off a score or turnover and gets an easy basket with little effort. That is the only situation I can see occurring where that rule might possibly be used

hornetsfansydne
07-19-2013, 03:57 AM
On clear path to the basket fouls, it will no longer be considered a clear path foul if at any point before the foul is committed, the defender who commits the foul is positioned ahead of the offensive player in the frontcourt.

This is my favorite change of the bunch, if only because it figures to make calling clear-path fouls much easier than before. In recent seasons, referees have spent far too long looking at video reviews of clear-path calls in which defenders were very close to being in front of the ballhandler. Now, officials have a much clearer reason not to call the clear-path foul, because it now only applies to plays in which the defender chases the offensive player from behind.

I thought this was the case already? And what about the case where a player is in front and deliberately fouls to stop a fastbreak? That isn't a clear path foul but I believe it is or should be called a flagrant?

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
I don't like the clear path foul change but I like the rest.

YoungOne
07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
now every game will last 3 hours...

aTinyPanda
07-19-2013, 11:13 AM
As much as I dislike the idea of JVG getting even more opportunities to complain about refs going to the replay...

The replay changes are all good for the game, ESPECIALLY the charge/blocking revision. This is one of the hardest calls to make in live-action so for them to be able to get it right every time is encouraging.

I don't like the last rule change about a player leaving the court. Its wording is super ambiguous and I guess I just didn't perceive it as a huge problem to begin with. Hopefully it won't leave the door wide open for refs to influence the game in a way that they couldn't before.

SportsFanatic10
07-19-2013, 11:23 AM

ya it really needs to be done off-site, and not by the refs. they shouldn't have to go pull up a monitor and headset and watch it a bunch of times. there should be a nba video review center kinda like the nhl has that reviews it to keep things moving a bit quicker.

aTinyPanda
07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
ya it really needs to be done off-site, and not by the refs. they shouldn't have to go pull up a monitor and headset and watch it a bunch of times. there should be a nba video review center kinda like the nhl has that reviews it to keep things moving a bit quicker.

This. This. This. This. This.

There's zero reason that the refs should have to wait until a timeout on the floor before they go verify a 3pt shot. It could be done instantly by an off site crew. I realize this particular example doesn't change the speed of game, but it could be applied to many scenarios.

BigBlueCrew
07-19-2013, 11:28 AM

I thought this was the case already with clear path fouls. But I guess thats just the case with NBA refs, everything has to be spelled out with these guys down to the very last letter. :referee:

Tmath
07-19-2013, 11:54 AM

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/51c2ffd2eab8ea0560000009/the-miami-heat-are-using-a-tactic-that-will-probably-be-illegal-next-year.jpg

Celticsfan2007
07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/51c2ffd2eab8ea0560000009/the-miami-heat-are-using-a-tactic-that-will-probably-be-illegal-next-year.jpg

This is the play where bosh got the Oreb and kicked it to ray for 3 right?

lamzoka
07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
This is the play where bosh got the Oreb and kicked it to ray for 3 right?

it cant be, cuz duncan wasn't on the floor on that play

TrueFan420
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
I see this rule to stop cherry picking essentially. Player A on offense trys to save the ball but instead throws it to the defense and falls into the stands (like McGee did a while back and was on Shaqtin a fool for it), then doesnt hustle back on D. Their team gets the ball back off a score or turnover and gets an easy basket with little effort. That is the only situation I can see occurring where that rule might possibly be used
If they want to cherry pick they could step back on the court and just no run back on d and wait. But point noted.

Very good point. Just don't like the clause that gives the refs so much free range to decided on how to interpret the rule.

envymamba24
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
-

I'm sure you've heard this many times, but your sig is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life lol

lamzoka
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm sure you've heard this many times, but your sig is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life lol

i guess u not from or live in L.A huh? lol

envymamba24
07-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Neither are most of the people responsible for the fanship of the knickerbockers lol

envymamba24
07-19-2013, 04:08 PM

So tell me the point of national coverage of a team lol I've prolly watched more laker games in the last 15 years then you have basketball games..and I live in NY

LegendsNvrDie23
07-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Thank god! I'm I the only one who is excited about making nba games last longer???? I love me some basketball.

aTinyPanda
07-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Thank god! I'm I the only one who is excited about making nba games last longer???? I love me some basketball.

If you love watching replays 7x over, and examining the referees huddled around the scorer's table... then yes this is excellent news for you.

Otherwise it's just going to take players out of their rhythm more than it already does and give more free timeouts, especially in late game situations. This is why I want a separate team of officials handling a bunch of the replay reviews off the court.

JNA17
07-19-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't care how long the game lasts, i want it called right.

The NBA is already pathetic for having by far the worst refs in any professional sport. The fact that the league has to keep inputting more and more instant replays every year should show that the refs need to wake up and call a game right for once in their lives.

HowBoutDemBulls
07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
im lovin it like McDonalds bish