PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat doesn't need Greg Oden, Oden needs the Miami Heat

Munkeysuit
07-18-2013, 08:22 PM
I am sick and tired of hearing about where this guy will land, and how much the Miami Heat needs his services. Lets get this straightened out once and for all, Greg Oden has never won anything at this level, he hasn't even played long enough to even be considered a star in this league. I am well aware of his collegiate accomplishments as well as his size and his age, I am also aware of his up-side should he finally stay healthy and has a chance to work on his game a little.
Miami is a championship organization, built around a culture of hard work and defense, the Heats roster consists of winners who have won at every level, mature players who have matured games as well as matured minds.
Greg Oden needs this type of environment to strengthen his mind and maturity towards this game, he needs this because it'll force him to take his body and health very seriously as well, placing him in a mind set that he needs to mature himself from every aspect of the game and reinforcing the confidence in his abilities by playing with superstars that know how to bring out the best in each other (Wade/ Bosh/ James)
The Miami Heat have proved that they can win without a true center and without any real size inside, so why in the world would they or should they, be hell bent on acquiring Greg Oden? NO! the Heat did not amnesty Miller to provide Oden with a better situation financially, that is total nonsense! cut a valuable asset like Miller, to sign someone who may not even be able to stay healthy AND throw themselves back under the luxury tax bus? please.
Miami is already winning...Oden needs a chance at redemption, who needs who? I don't think the Pacers or Cavs are that much of a threat, and I personally don't feel as if we need Oden to beat Brooklyn. The Heat are golden, a championship team with some of the games biggest stars, set in an attractive destination and on the verge of a Dynasty...and on the other hand we have Greg Oden, who's managed to play just over 80 games in his short career so far, injury riddled, never can stay healthy and hasn't proved that he can stay on the court long enough to even be considered an asset.
I am not hating on the guy by any means, I am just stating the facts here.

My apologies for not posting this in the Heat forum :p

TrueFan420
07-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Oden doesn't need Miami he needs the right team. Miami isn't it. Also as far as mature players are you including bosh? He was talking ish on a role player for hustling and diving for a ball. That's not mature he was complaining about maybe getting hurt and risk never signing a multi million dollar deal ever again while that dude is working just to make vet min.

OceanSpray
07-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Agreed, but how long can Miami continue with Bosh, who can't rebound and gets destroyed in the post by Noah/Hibbert/Duncan, and what about Wade's health? If Wade is 100% and play like we know he can, Miami wouldn't need a center, it'd be Miami 3 peat EASY. I do think Miami could use Oden just like Oden can use Miami. He'd be playing 20 minutes along with Andersen.

ryang
07-18-2013, 08:29 PM
He definetly needs Miami more then Miami needs him. Personally I'm sick of hearing about the guy. He will be out for the year before the all star break. Who cares where he signs? He's Done

OceanSpray
07-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Oden doesn't need Miami he needs the right team. Miami isn't it. Also as far as mature players are you including bosh? He was talking ish on a role player for hustling and diving for a ball. That's not mature he was complaining about maybe getting hurt and risk never signing a multi million dollar deal ever again while that dude is working just to make vet min.

What... How doesn't Oden need Miami? With Wade/James/Bosh out there, his only job is to rebound and grab those easy putback dunks. Only Spurs have a comparable situation than Miami. To say Oden won't fit is just silly. He's going to be playing minimal minutes and will probably only be used in the playoffs.

meloman1592
07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Actually if I'm oden i go to the suns

TheMightyHumph
07-18-2013, 08:37 PM

This

TrueFan420
What... How doesn't Oden need Miami? With Wade/James/Bosh out there, his only job is to rebound and grab those easy putback dunks. Only Spurs have a comparable situation than Miami. To say Oden won't fit is just silly. He's going to be playing minimal minutes and will probably only be used in the playoffs.

Which isn't what he needs. Yes he needs to watch his minutes but he also needs to play and as the season goes on expand on his minutes. If he's healthy and good to go he still won't get much time in Miami till the playoffs and he will be rusty for the lack of time prior. Not to mention the biggest issue is that he can't run the floor at the pace the heat like to. He needs to go to a half court team.

Cal827
Greg Oden needs a team that'll pay him the most money. That's not taking a shot on him, he's been subjected to unfortunate injuries.

TrueFan420
07-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Same. The medical staff is crazy.

AI
07-18-2013, 08:39 PM
I seriously would like Oden to go to Cleveland. I think that's the perfect situation for him.

KnickaBocka.44
07-18-2013, 08:39 PM

This.

Oden doesn't need to compete for a title right now, he is just trying to regain some confidence in his body.

Munkeysuit
07-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Which isn't what he needs. Yes he needs to watch his minutes but he also needs to play and as the season goes on expand on his minutes. If he's healthy and good to go he still won't get much time in Miami till the playoffs and he will be rusty for the lack of time prior. Not to mention the biggest issue is that he can't run the floor at the pace the heat like to. He needs to go to a half court team.
This is very true, Miami is just not a great fit for Oden, I can see San Antonio as more of an organization where he can grow, mature, and maximize his abilities.

OceanSpray
07-18-2013, 08:42 PM

What? He's going to play minimal minutes and that's what he needs. His knees are done if he's playing tons of minutes. The only reason Miami needs him for is because of his size, he can block shots, rebound, and will match well against other big guys. And I don't know what you mean by Miami's pace... You just said he needs to play more minutes and then you say he can't handle Miami's pace.

Munkeysuit
07-18-2013, 08:44 PM
I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I feel as if Marcus Camby is a better fit for the Heat.

TrueFan420
07-18-2013, 08:49 PM
What? He's going to play minimal minutes and that's what he needs. His knees are done if he's playing tons of minutes. The only reason Miami needs him for is because of his size, he can block shots, rebound, and will match well against other big guys. And I don't know what you mean by Miami's pace... You just said he needs to play more minutes and then you say he can't handle Miami's pace.

Do you not know the difference between minutes played and the pace that you play at? Minutes played is how much time he spends on the court. Pace is the speed at which they play while on the court. Miami is a team that likes to push the ball and run up and down the court. Oden has bad knees so that's not good for him. He needs to go to a team that plays at a slower pace. More half court sets. Like the old spurs. Who would walk the ball up the court and let Timmy d beast you up in the post. Hope that clears that up.

KnickaBocka.44
07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I feel as if Marcus Camby is a better fit for the Heat.

:up::nod:

--23--
07-18-2013, 09:25 PM
OP you're wrong, Greg Oden needs the Phoenix Suns medical staff for his health. Go to PHX, get healthy, prove he can still play, and then get a longer contract.

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2013, 09:33 PM

no camby doesn't bang down low like oden would assuming he's on the court. camby is old and injury prone now too.

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Do you not know the difference between minutes played and the pace that you play at? Minutes played is how much time he spends on the court. Pace is the speed at which they play while on the court. Miami is a team that likes to push the ball and run up and down the court. Oden has bad knees so that's not good for him. He needs to go to a team that plays at a slower pace. More half court sets. Like the old spurs. Who would walk the ball up the court and let Timmy d beast you up in the post. Hope that clears that up.

the heat don't always play fast, with a true center they wouldn't mind slowing it down sometimes. in the playoffs the pace slows down anyways.

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2013, 09:36 PM

disagree. miami may not be the absolute best choice for him, but they're one of them.

ldawg
07-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Kid wants to get paid wont get on the map playing on a star stud team. His best bet is Dallas, Spurs or a team where his impact can be noticed. Wont get that in Miami.

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Kid wants to get paid wont get on the map playing on a star stud team. His best bet is Dallas, Spurs or a team where his impact can be noticed. Wont get that in Miami.

i don't think anyone is offering him more than around 3 million. that's the pelican's reported offer, and the heat can pay that much if they want to with the 3.2 mid level exception. and the heat need some size, don't see how he won't be noticed on the most scrutinized team in the league if he's playing well.

TrueFan420
07-18-2013, 09:52 PM
the heat don't always play fast, with a true center they wouldn't mind slowing it down sometimes. in the playoffs the pace slows down anyways.
they went small and ran in the playoffs. Maybe with a real center they go less or bosh plays less but I doubt it.

disagree. miami may not be the absolute best choice for him, but they're one of them.

The absolute best option is the suns medical staff. There are a couple options higher on the pole than Miami.

John Walls Era
07-18-2013, 09:53 PM

LOL Asik isn't making vet min. Maybe 10x that amount.

smith&wesson
07-18-2013, 10:00 PM
“Greg Oden needs this type of environment to strengthen his mind and maturity towards this game, he needs this because it'll force him to take his body and health very seriously as well, placing him in a mind set that he needs to mature himself from every aspect of the game and reinforcing the confidence in his abilities by playing with superstars that know how to bring out the best in each other (Wade/ Bosh/ James)”

What does having elite players around you have to do with freak injuries :confused:

TrueFan420
07-18-2013, 10:03 PM
LOL Asik isn't making vet min. Maybe 10x that amount.

At the time he wasn't and bosh said that to a couple players if I'm not mistaken.

smith&wesson
07-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Agreed, but how long can Miami continue with Bosh, who can't rebound and gets destroyed in the post by Noah/Hibbert/Duncan, and what about Wade's health? If Wade is 100% and play like we know he can, Miami wouldn't need a center, it'd be Miami 3 peat EASY. I do think Miami could use Oden just like Oden can use Miami. He'd be playing 20 minutes along with Andersen.

Bosh can rebound. He averaged 10.7 rpg in 06-07, he also averaged 10 rpg in 08-09 and 10.8 rpg in 09-10.

When he went to Miami his rebounding numbers went down… can’t really say why. My only guess would be is that he doesn’t fight LeBron for easy defensive rebounds.

SportsFanatic10
07-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Bosh can rebound. He averaged 10.7 rpg in 06-07, he also averaged 10 rpg in 08-09 and 10.8 rpg in 09-10.

When he went to Miami his rebounding numbers went down… can’t really say why. My only guess would be is that he doesn’t fight LeBron for easy defensive rebounds.

unfortunately he doesn't seem to fight anyone for rebounds much of the time lol. i watched him a lot in toronto and i just don't get it. but he did save the season with an offensive rebound so i'll take it easier on him for now.

beasted86
07-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Everything else added to this team is just icing. If everyone performs to their expected capacity Miami is still the favorite to win a championship.

But a guy like Oden or any 7'0" Center who can play defense, rebound, and finish easy buckets can help Miami.

smith&wesson
07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Well Toronto just bought him out, so he could be had for the vets min. if you guys get camby you can thank Toronto for your front court lol

unfortunately he doesn't seem to fight anyone for rebounds much of the time lol. i watched him a lot in toronto and i just don't get it. but he did save the season with an offensive rebound so i'll take it easier on him for now.But I can def understand why. If he stretches the floor, it opens lanes up for Wade and LeBron to drive in. so he tends to play away from the net. It’s what the elite wings need from him and what gives his team the best chance to win so he has been reduced to that role.

I still think he is a pretty good rebounder even if the numbers don’t indicate it. And honestly if he was the 2nd option on that team his numbers would spike up.

But really as long as they are winning who cares about his personal numbers. Like you said when it matters and when it counts he steps up.

And who knew LeBron would play a lot of 4. If they knew that when he was in Cleveland they probably wouldn’t even have asked for bosh to join .they probably would have went for a C .

2 championships later. I honestly don’t think they care either way. Lol

britteep
07-18-2013, 10:37 PM
He definetly needs Miami more then Miami needs him.http://www.camj.info/7j1.jpg

ztilzer31
07-18-2013, 10:41 PM
PG Mario Chalmers
SG Dwyane Wade
SF Lebron James
PF Chris Bosh
C Greg Oden

Looks pretty damn beast to me if Oden can refrain from getting injured... Even if he can only put in 18-25 mins a night, and playing just solid defense it would help the Heat a lot. Bosh won't have to get his *** kicked in the interior anymore against Centers.

I don't think anyone argues that the Heat don't need Oden. They just won a chip without him. However the possibilities of this team with a healthy/good (not great) Greg Oden is endless. It expands their team immensely.

Miami is the perfect fit. They have a starting roster they already know works. Oden could come off the bench instead if they want. He has no pressure to play heavy minutes, or to play at an all star level. All they would want is him to play defense, and pull down boards.

If Greg Oden can play to his potential defensively next year, the Heat could potentially win 70 games.

Max.This
07-18-2013, 10:42 PM
miami HEAT runs the fast break. Which part of Oden's game do ppl think fits this ?

ztilzer31
07-18-2013, 10:51 PM
miami HEAT runs the fast break. Which part of Oden's game do ppl think fits this ?

??? It's not like signing Oden makes it so you can't run a fast break. Also you still can throw Bosh into Center, and Birdman at PF if you want to run a more athletic lineup... It just gives them more versatility. Do you have any idea how much easier the Spurs series would of been if they had a healthy Oden to put on Duncan?

IKnowHoops
07-18-2013, 10:53 PM
PG Mario Chalmers
SG Dwyane Wade
SF Lebron James
PF Chris Bosh
C Greg Oden

Looks pretty damn beast to me if Oden can refrain from getting injured... Even if he can only put in 18-25 mins a night, and playing just solid defense it would help the Heat a lot. Bosh won't have to get his *** kicked in the interior anymore against Centers.

I don't think anyone argues that the Heat don't need Oden. They just won a chip without him. However the possibilities of this team with a healthy/good (not great) Greg Oden is endless. It expands their team immensely.

Miami is the perfect fit. They have a starting roster they already know works. Oden could come off the bench instead if they want. He has no pressure to play heavy minutes, or to play at an all star level. All they would want is him to play defense, and pull down boards.

If Greg Oden can play to his potential defensively next year, the Heat could potentially win 70 games.

This is the only post that matters

Kashmir13579
07-18-2013, 10:59 PM

Last year with the Knicks, in limited minutes he looked completely gassed. In my opinion he's cooked.

IKnowHoops
07-18-2013, 10:59 PM
I decided to make a post that doesn't matter.

Think about how much trouble Noah/Hibbert/Duncan gave the Heat in the playoffs. If the heat can nullify players like that do realize how easily they will beat teams. They just won a ring being ridiculously out rebounded in the playoffs. What if they were just an average rebounding team, or one of the best. Miami is a dream Spot for Oden. There are no limits to what his season and career can be like on the Heat.

Kashmir13579
07-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Why does everyone think Oden's comeback will be different this time?

smith&wesson
07-18-2013, 11:16 PM

I don't

THE MTL
07-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Greg Oden needs the Suns! He has to get his health in order. Go drink from the fountain of youth with the Suns. We see what happened to Nash after he left.

goku
07-19-2013, 12:04 AM

this there medical staff must do wonders

nash
amare
hill

all played at high levels there and were kept up right most of there careers there, when they left the suns they all got injured

ztilzer31
07-19-2013, 12:48 AM

Not saying his career will be different. I'd say there's at maximum a 20% chance he succeeds in any situation. And by succeeds I mean be a consistent contributor on a team without missing massive playing time.

I'm a huge fan of low risk, high reward. It's a great place for him IMO. Phoenix makes since for Oden maybe, but they seem to be in tank it mode. Also Oden would instantly be the biggest story on that team. He doesn't need that. He needs to just try to play in the NBA. Not try to be an all star again IMO.

It's not like he's signing a 20 million a year deal though. Miami just picked up to great picks

ztilzer31
07-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Also Phoenix just picked Len... Or whatever his name was.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-19-2013, 01:05 AM
Miami just won 2 Championships, they dont need Greg Oden

It seems multiple teams are making offers for Greg Oden, so he clearly doesnt need the Heat.

He's not trying to chase rings, he's trying to get healthy.

Neither one needs each other.

IKnowHoops
07-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Miami just won 2 Championships, they dont need Greg Oden

It seems multiple teams are making offers for Greg Oden, so he clearly doesnt need the Heat.

He's not trying to chase rings, he's trying to get healthy.

Neither one needs each other.

Your right, "need" is to strong a word, I'd say "could greatly benefit each other" fits.

Munkeysuit
07-19-2013, 01:18 AM
What does having elite players around you have to do with freak injuries :confused:

Well from the standpoint where he will try and fit back into the NBA as a role player, those freak injuries also happened to make him even worse than he was when he was healthy, and my point was that we don't even know how good he was when he was last healthy?! I mean we can tell from his statistics that he's definitely a major contributor on the post, but saying that he's coming back to live up to his 1st pick overall potential is just totally ridiculous.
What I was trying to say is that he can take it at a slower pace in Miami and also WIN! that will build confidence and he will have the big 3 to burden the majority of the load so he doesn't have to perform right out the gate. This can be said for any contender team he goes to as well, not just Miami.

Munkeysuit
07-19-2013, 01:32 AM
Can everyone please stop talking about Oden like he's worth 10 mil a season haha, the dude blew out both his knees, tell me one player that came back and was BETTER than he was after blowing out both knees? I certainly believe in low risk high reward but my problem (from the very beginning) was that the Heat don't have to have the acquisition of Oden a top priority, the Heat did not amnesty Miller to make room for Oden lol.
If he's planning a comeback of any kind? it's to be featured in a limited role...if I know that, then I guarantee you every GM in the league knows that as well. I think the hoopla extends from his potential at age 25 and his size...but there in lies the real question, do the Heat need to pay him for that? HELL NO!!!!!

ryang
07-19-2013, 02:02 AM
He can take juwan Howard's spot. Other then that go sign with someone else. Vet min or nothing.

SMH!
07-19-2013, 02:09 AM
wait did anyone ever say the Heat needed Greg Oden? lmao

TrueFan420
07-19-2013, 02:15 AM
wait did anyone ever say the Heat needed Greg Oden? lmao

I don't think anyone ever said they need oden but they do need a traditional center. To help at times.

ldawg
07-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Heat is a Bad fit for him If he looking at another big contract they will bench him mostly then he will become a journey man with small contracts. Heat needs a big however to sit on the bench to play the Howards, Bynums, Asik, etc when needed

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Greg Oden needs the Suns! He has to get his health in order. Go drink from the fountain of youth with the Suns. We see what happened to Nash after he left.
Don't forget about Amare as well :D

Phoenix makes since for Oden maybe, but they seem to be in tank it mode. Also Oden would instantly be the biggest story on that team. He doesn't need that. He needs to just try to play in the NBA. Not try to be an all star again IMO.

Lol Bledsoe will remain the biggest story on the Suns even if Oden came here.

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 07:53 AM
The Oden talk tires me. It's not like he will be impactful or even counted upon. He is Hasheem Thabeet at this point: great potential but low production.

2-ONE-5
07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
who cares? no one even said Miami needs Oden, how much can a team need a guy who is unlikely to even play more than 5 games?

kdspurman
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
He might end up choosing Miami cause it's the sexier place to play... But he's got high regards for the Spurs/Pop.

"The most important factor is finding a place that's conducive for him to be healthy and come along slowly," said Conley. "A place that doesn't need him to make an impact right away. He wants to play and contribute, but there's certain a way to do that."

"Oden is high on the Spurs because of Gregg Popovich's pattern of preserving his best players. Pop is famous, and infamous, for giving Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili extended rest, once even keeping Duncan out of a game completely because the future Hall of Fame forward was "old." As a result, Duncan looked fresh and rejuvenated once the playoffs began.

With the Spurs, Oden could get spot duty behind Duncan and Tiago Splitter and be allowed to progress at a slower pace, and being with a contender would be a bonus. He has spoken with the Spurs twice already."

I just hope the guy gets to play meaningful minutes regardless of where he goes, he's had it tough. I've heard he's looked good recently in workouts

JordansBulls
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Surprised the Heat didnt go after Kaman or Dalembert

ryang
07-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Ill take the bosh bird combo over the bosh dalambert or kaman combo.

abe_froman
07-19-2013, 04:01 PM
incorrect.what greg oden needs is to make as much money as possible,because this might be the last contract he ever gets,but also no one ever said that the heat need oden

ztilzer31
07-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Don't forget about Amare as well :D

Lol Bledsoe will remain the biggest story on the Suns even if Oden came here.

Yeah forgot about Bledsoe. My bad. I guess it could work there, but I still don't see him going to a team with a starting role, plus you guys just drafted a big man....

It's just not a move you want to make if you're phoenix IMO. Then again I don't follow Phoenix very much.

sunsfan88
07-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah forgot about Bledsoe. My bad. I guess it could work there, but I still don't see him going to a team with a starting role, plus you guys just drafted a big man....

It's just not a move you want to make if you're phoenix IMO. Then again I don't follow Phoenix very much.
No your absolutely right about that. We already have Gortat and then just drafted Len. We're here tryna trade Gortat so that Len can start and PT and we talkin about adding Oden to all that? Nah.

But if Oden wants to be a 3rd stringer/2nd stringer and accept a very cheap deal so that he can rehab and use the Suns trainers to his advantage to improve his body for a season or two, then it's possible.

Highly doubtful that Oden does that though

dtmagnet
07-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Go wherever he can get the most minutes.

ztilzer31
07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
No your absolutely right about that. We already have Gortat and then just drafted Len. We're here tryna trade Gortat so that Len can start and PT and we talkin about adding Oden to all that? Nah.

But if Oden wants to be a 3rd stringer/2nd stringer and accept a very cheap deal so that he can rehab and use the Suns trainers to his advantage to improve his body for a season or two, then it's possible.

Highly doubtful that Oden does that though

Yeah really doesn't make sense for both parties.