PDA

View Full Version : Best Michael Jordan Stories, Quotes and Anecdotes

Quinnsanity
07-18-2013, 07:29 AM
So we all know Jordan was a competitive maniac. Some of the stories about him were just insane, so I wanted to try to gather as many as possible just to marvel at how funny some of them are. I just read the Dream Team so this is where it's coming from. Here are my favorites:

- Jordan used to bet with his teammates that his bags would get taken off of the plane first, then pay airport workers to do it.

- When told that Clyde Drexler was a better three-point shooter than him, Jordan responded "Clyde is a better three-point shooter than I choose to be."

- When the Dream Team lost to the college All Stars in a scrimmage, before the rematch the following day Jordan pointed at Allan Houston and said "I got him," and as the legend goes, he didn't touch the ball for two hours.

- One game in Utah, Jordan dunked on John Stockton. Jazz owner Larry Miller yelled "pick on someone your own size." On the next possession he dunked on center Mark Eaton and shouted "he big enough for you?"

- He once lost a game of ping pong to a teammate, then proceeded to buy a table and spend the next six months practicing almost non stop.

So what are great stories have you guys heard? I'm just fascinated by all of these.

Pistol_Pete
07-18-2013, 01:50 PM
So by great stories I can assume you mean stories that show how much of a dick Jordan. Greatest ever, but seemingly not a very nice guy.

ChitownBears22
07-18-2013, 02:15 PM
I pushed off

-Michael Jordan

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I pushed off

-Michael Jordan

Read the book "When Nothing Else Matters" It's about Jordan's last comeback with the Wizards. Where Bryan Russell himself, says Jordan did not push him.

Chronz
07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Read the book "When Nothing Else Matters" It's about Jordan's last comeback with the Wizards. Where Bryan Russell himself, says Jordan did not push him.

Was that before or after he got him a job?

JK, the push was soft, more of a nudge

pd1dish
07-18-2013, 02:46 PM
my favorite that many know about is his eyes closed free throw. Jordan says to Dikembe "Hey Mutombo..this ones for you baby" then hits the free throw eyes closed lol

i agree that Jordan was an *** and he liked to talk smack, but he backed it up every time

pd1dish
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEL4CDWXR8

this as well haha

valade16
07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
my favorite that many know about is his eyes closed free throw. Jordan says to Dikembe "Hey Mutombo..this ones for you baby" then hits the free throw eyes closed lol

i agree that Jordan was an *** and he liked to talk smack, but he backed it up every time

On a side note. One time when playing horse I made a FT with my eyes closed then my buddy missed it but it was for E so he asked me to prove it and I made it again eyes closed. I felt like a G.

I couldn't imagine Jordan doing that in a freakin' game.

TrueFan420
07-18-2013, 02:53 PM
So we all know Jordan was a competitive maniac. Some of the stories about him were just insane, so I wanted to try to gather as many as possible just to marvel at how funny some of them are. I just read the Dream Team so this is where it's coming from. Here are my favorites:

- Jordan used to bet with his teammates that his bags would get taken off of the plane first, then pay airport workers to do it.

- When told that Clyde Drexler was a better three-point shooter than him, Jordan responded "Clyde is a better three-point shooter than I choose to be."

- When the Dream Team lost to the college All Stars in a scrimmage, before the rematch the following day Jordan pointed at Allan Houston and said "I got him," and as the legend goes, he didn't touch the ball for two hours.

- One game in Utah, Jordan dunked on John Stockton. Jazz owner Larry Miller yelled "pick on someone your own size." On the next possession he dunked on center Mark Eaton and shouted "he big enough for you?"

- He once lost a game of ping pong to a teammate, then proceeded to buy a table and spend the next six months practicing almost non stop.

So what are great stories have you guys heard? I'm just fascinated by all of these.
MJ might be the GOAT in bbal but his stories will never top the GOAT of life Chuck Norris.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-18-2013, 03:01 PM
MJ might be the GOAT in bbal but his stories will never top the GOAT of life Chuck Norris.

hahaha was gonna say the same thing. the first post made it seem like we were going the Chuck Norris/Most Interesting Man in the World route

IKnowHoops
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
I heard one about this story when Jerry stackhouse was a rookie.

-Stackhouse tells the story about his first encounter with Mike as a rookie

-So Jerry is guarding Mike as Mike brings the ball down the court. Jerry is waiting for him on the other side of half court.

Jordan makes eye contact with Stackhouse and starts the trash talk of course

JORDAN:Which Side?

Jerry doesn't say anything back because he knows Jordan is trying to get in his head.

JORDAN: Which Side?
STACKHOUSE: Whatever man, just play ball man
JORDAN: I'm not saying what side do you want me to go by you, thats gonna happen regardless, I'm going to put you on my poster today so I am asking you what side you like of yourself and I'll make sure that when I dunk on you I know what side you want showing.

It may have been the first game of the year, but all the camera guys were there during this game to get that poster picture.

Later that game Jordan rises up on Stackhouse nasty and creates the famous poster of Jordan dunking on Stack.

mlisica19
07-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Favorite story-
Even after some grueling practices and off-season training sessions. He would occasionally ask Scottie Pippen to a 1 on 1 match that would sometimes last a few hours.

(Personally, I love hard working guys like that... with focus and determination. That is why he was the best. That is why Scotty Pippen became a better player too This is why they won 6 rings)

Quote-
I do not have a gambling problem. I have a competitive problem

lol. I guess, sort of true.

kingkenny01
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
http://deadspin.com/former-mtv-vj-says-michael-jordan-tried-to-win-her-virg-647195397

kozelkid
07-18-2013, 04:05 PM

On a side note. One time when playing horse I made a FT with my eyes closed then my buddy missed it but it was for E so he asked me to prove it and I made it again eyes closed. I felt like a G.

I couldn't imagine Jordan doing that in a freakin' game.

It's on YouTube. :shrug:

YankeesR#2
07-18-2013, 04:07 PM
My favorite story about Micael Jordon is when he was wearing a Hitler moustache

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=michael+jordan+hitler+mustache&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=cEroUfarE4G5rQHvuYEQ&ved=0CBgQsAQ

Something I hadn't seen in to 60+ years after Hitler had died.

Kuya_Clive
07-18-2013, 04:16 PM
http://deadspin.com/former-mtv-vj-says-michael-jordan-tried-to-win-her-virg-647195397

Lol eviscerate from the outside.

Rain City
07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
what about the "con man game"

van gundy say jordan gets an edge by befriending players, lulling them to sleep and takes advantage.

than checks him for 51 . go to 8:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJeKE2646U

bucketss
07-18-2013, 04:26 PM
degenerate gambler.

Shlumpledink
07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Best thing he ever did was punch steve kerr in the face

Kuya_Clive
07-18-2013, 04:49 PM
He saved the Looney Tunes from enslavement by aliens from Moron Mountain via half court dunk.

LegendsNvrDie23
07-18-2013, 05:20 PM
degenerate gambler.

Cry me a river. You would be all over MJ's nuts if you ever seen him in real life.

tredigs
07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Funny timing, I read this one on him and Bill Cartwright yesterday:

JORDAN AND BILL CARTWRIGHT
MJ and Bill Cartwright were, for a time, co-captains of the Bulls.

Sam Smith, in ""The Jordan Rules"" wrote that Jordan had no respect for Cartwright, told his teammates to keep the ball away from Cartwright in crucial late-game situations (even if coach Doug Collins called a play involving Cartwright), and bellittled the veteran publicly. Cartwright confronted Jordan:

Excerpt: He didn't do or say anything to anybody until late that season, when he told Jordan he needed to talk to him.

There was little small talk exchanged. "I don't like the things I've heard you saying about me," Cartwright told Jordan.

Jordan stared at him.

"If Iever hear again that you're telling guys not to pass me the ball," Cartwright continued, "you will never play basketball again."

That was it. But as Cartwright began to move better after surgery following the 1989-90 season, Jordan began to accept him more.

Jordan hated Bill because he replaced his boy Oakley, but eventually he did man up and admit it was the right choice.

kozelkid
07-18-2013, 06:32 PM
degenerate gambler.

Your hate for MJ is getting as irrational as some of the Lebron haters. You might wanna think about that.

kozelkid
07-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Funny timing, I read this one on him and Bill Cartwright yesterday:

JORDAN AND BILL CARTWRIGHT
MJ and Bill Cartwright were, for a time, co-captains of the Bulls.

Sam Smith, in ""The Jordan Rules"" wrote that Jordan had no respect for Cartwright, told his teammates to keep the ball away from Cartwright in crucial late-game situations (even if coach Doug Collins called a play involving Cartwright), and bellittled the veteran publicly. Cartwright confronted Jordan:

Excerpt: He didn't do or say anything to anybody until late that season, when he told Jordan he needed to talk to him.

There was little small talk exchanged. "I don't like the things I've heard you saying about me," Cartwright told Jordan.

Jordan stared at him.

"If Iever hear again that you're telling guys not to pass me the ball," Cartwright continued, "you will never play basketball again."

That was it. But as Cartwright began to move better after surgery following the 1989-90 season, Jordan began to accept him more.

Jordan hated Bill because he replaced his boy Oakley, but eventually he did man up and admit it was the right choice.

I heard he had a similar exchange with the Chief.

bucketss
07-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Your hate for MJ is getting as irrational as some of the Lebron haters. You might wanna think about that.

his gambling problem did get his father killed, am i really wrong?

Cry me a river. You would be all over MJ's nuts if you ever seen him in real life.

lol not everyone loves the dude like you.

kozelkid
07-19-2013, 10:00 PM
his gambling problem did get his father killed, am i really wrong?

Considering there is no evidence that supports this claim and only the biggest Jordan haters seem to continue to endorse it, I'd say so.

bucketss
07-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Considering there is no evidence that supports this claim and only the biggest Jordan haters seem to continue to endorse it, I'd say so.

hmm well i am a guy who is all about self improvement maybe my jordan hate is a bit hypocritical since i do call people out for their irrational hate for the KING, self searching and mediating will do me good... some suggest that self improvement declarations be made publicly so that there is some social cost attached, I dont subscribe to that philosophy in favor of an earnest introspective approach with self evaluation.

AnthonyTyrael
07-20-2013, 07:06 AM

Was that Kukoc? Jordan you fool!

Bmoss12
07-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Was that Kukoc? Jordan you fool!

This happened mid 2000ís. I didn't grow up in Chicago, never was a Bulls fan, didn't go through the hero-worship, but I understood it. The guy was a legend, I can respect that. My friends who grew up in Chicago did their best to indoctrinate me. One friend in particular, a tiny, feisty, full-hearted, asthmatic but incredibly athletically achieved Japanese girl who grew up in the suburbs led the charge. She, as a graduate student, had an MJ poster on her wall, and another on the ceiling over her bed. She could make you live his last championship three pointer with the way she got excited about telling you where she was and how she felt when she saw it. She also carried around his baseball card in the hopes of one day getting him to sign it.

One night, a group of us are at the Horseshoe celebrating the end of a semester. Izzy doesn't gamble, but she knows MJ plays there sometimes, and has come along just on the chance that he'll be there. This was, I believe, the third time she has come along with us just for that reason.

We're playing craps, and having a blast. We're excited and young and getting drunk, it's a good night. Our group is at one end of the craps table, when we see the players at the other end standing taller to look over us at something. We turn around, and there he is, at the center and towards the front of this decent sized group of people. People to either side are hushing up and craning their necks, but he's just walking, staring straight ahead, not even talking to his group.

Some people have it in them to try to walk up to him, I wouldn't have. His demeanor is saying nothing but, "Don't bother me." But some people do, and he does stop for a few of them. Looking back, they were both blondes with tight clothes, but that didn't click with me. It didn't click with Izzy either, she starts to panic a little bit and her face turns red. She takes a few quick breaths before she says, to herself mostly, "This is it. This is it. Oh my god."
Before I even realize she's gone, she's halfway to him and he's done signing the blondes' chests or whatever. He starts walking again by the time she gets to him, and I remember what happened next like I was watching a slow-mo replay.

He's walking toward us, Izzy's back is to us, and she's only a few feet away from him. I can tell she has both her hands forward with the card, obviously looking for an autograph. She told us later that at that moment she had just opened her mouth to introduce herself. Without looking down (she's barely 5 feet tall), without breaking stride, he puts his hand up, grabs her face like he's palming a basketball, and twists/pushes her head out of his way. Her head is almost twisted completely around and facing us, eyes closed and mouth scrunched against his hand, before she's off to his side and he's moving on. It was like he was pushing open a door. She stumbles a few steps and falls over, and one of his entourage almost trips over her before helping her up and apologizing for him.

By this time, MJ is right next to us at the craps table, still looking straight ahead, but he has this smirk on his face I will never forget.
I was pissed. He didn't have to sign ****, he didn't even have to stop and say hi. But basic human decency stops way before grabbing someone's face and shoving them out of your way.
Izzy was shocked, and quiet for the rest of the night. At times, she was near tears, but never let us see them. Now, she was the first to say that he didn't owe her anything and is free to do what he wants. I noticed the next time I'm at her place, though, that the posters aren't there anymore. And as far as I know, she never told her story about his championship three pointer again.

Munkeysuit
07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
My favorite story about Michael Jordan was SpaceJam...twas a true story...the truest of them all!

bucketss
07-20-2013, 04:47 PM
what about the "con man game"

van gundy say jordan gets an edge by befriending players, lulling them to sleep and takes advantage.

than checks him for 51 . go to 8:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJeKE2646U

LOl, this reminds me when kobe tried to befriend westbrook, hes started to compliment him in every way, this was done to make him feel like he was better than durant.

smiddy012
07-20-2013, 04:54 PM
So by great stories I can assume you mean stories that show how much of a dick Jordan. Greatest ever, but seemingly not a very nice guy.

Ok mom.

TrueFan420
07-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Jordan was once bitten by a king cobra... After 5 excruciating days the snake died

bucketss
07-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Jordan was once bitten by a king cobra... After 5 excruciating days the snake died

he probably made a bet with the snake that he could survive longer.

ILLUSIONIST^248
07-20-2013, 05:47 PM
he probably made a bet with the snake that he could survive longer.

:yawn:

JerseyPalahniuk
07-20-2013, 07:34 PM
This happened mid 2000’s. I didn't grow up in Chicago, never was a Bulls fan, didn't go through the hero-worship, but I understood it. The guy was a legend, I can respect that. My friends who grew up in Chicago did their best to indoctrinate me. One friend in particular, a tiny, feisty, full-hearted, asthmatic but incredibly athletically achieved Japanese girl who grew up in the suburbs led the charge. She, as a graduate student, had an MJ poster on her wall, and another on the ceiling over her bed. She could make you live his last championship three pointer with the way she got excited about telling you where she was and how she felt when she saw it. She also carried around his baseball card in the hopes of one day getting him to sign it.

One night, a group of us are at the Horseshoe celebrating the end of a semester. Izzy doesn't gamble, but she knows MJ plays there sometimes, and has come along just on the chance that he'll be there. This was, I believe, the third time she has come along with us just for that reason.

We're playing craps, and having a blast. We're excited and young and getting drunk, it's a good night. Our group is at one end of the craps table, when we see the players at the other end standing taller to look over us at something. We turn around, and there he is, at the center and towards the front of this decent sized group of people. People to either side are hushing up and craning their necks, but he's just walking, staring straight ahead, not even talking to his group.

Some people have it in them to try to walk up to him, I wouldn't have. His demeanor is saying nothing but, "Don't bother me." But some people do, and he does stop for a few of them. Looking back, they were both blondes with tight clothes, but that didn't click with me. It didn't click with Izzy either, she starts to panic a little bit and her face turns red. She takes a few quick breaths before she says, to herself mostly, "This is it. This is it. Oh my god."
Before I even realize she's gone, she's halfway to him and he's done signing the blondes' chests or whatever. He starts walking again by the time she gets to him, and I remember what happened next like I was watching a slow-mo replay.

He's walking toward us, Izzy's back is to us, and she's only a few feet away from him. I can tell she has both her hands forward with the card, obviously looking for an autograph. She told us later that at that moment she had just opened her mouth to introduce herself. Without looking down (she's barely 5 feet tall), without breaking stride, he puts his hand up, grabs her face like he's palming a basketball, and twists/pushes her head out of his way. Her head is almost twisted completely around and facing us, eyes closed and mouth scrunched against his hand, before she's off to his side and he's moving on. It was like he was pushing open a door. She stumbles a few steps and falls over, and one of his entourage almost trips over her before helping her up and apologizing for him.

By this time, MJ is right next to us at the craps table, still looking straight ahead, but he has this smirk on his face I will never forget.
I was pissed. He didn't have to sign ****, he didn't even have to stop and say hi. But basic human decency stops way before grabbing someone's face and shoving them out of your way.
Izzy was shocked, and quiet for the rest of the night. At times, she was near tears, but never let us see them. Now, she was the first to say that he didn't owe her anything and is free to do what he wants. I noticed the next time I'm at her place, though, that the posters aren't there anymore. And as far as I know, she never told her story about his championship three pointer again.

Sad to summarize it in this way but just another story of how big of a douche he is. Why can't some athletes not get fame get to them? [he and other athletes/celebrities were probably always this way though].

This is why I don't understand praising certain athletes as gods.

And to people who might respond "I bet you would scream like a school girl if he was nearby." I would take a picture if I could but I wouldn't demean myself. He's just a human being who has made a lot of money by being better than everyone else at a game. That's it.

John Walls Era
07-20-2013, 09:24 PM
"There are many Gods, but only one Michael Jordan"

lpdunks8
07-20-2013, 11:38 PM
The Chamillionaire story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 12:37 AM
"There are many Gods, but only one Michael Jordan"

There's actually a few including A young actor who had a big role in The Wire and Friday night lights. there is, however, only one Brian scalabrine

LeperMessiah
07-21-2013, 12:39 AM

Extreme competitors usually means they are not friendly pupils.

tredigs
07-21-2013, 01:18 AM
This happened mid 2000’s. I didn't grow up in Chicago, never was a Bulls fan, didn't go through the hero-worship, but I understood it. The guy was a legend, I can respect that. My friends who grew up in Chicago did their best to indoctrinate me. One friend in particular, a tiny, feisty, full-hearted, asthmatic but incredibly athletically achieved Japanese girl who grew up in the suburbs led the charge. She, as a graduate student, had an MJ poster on her wall, and another on the ceiling over her bed. She could make you live his last championship three pointer with the way she got excited about telling you where she was and how she felt when she saw it. She also carried around his baseball card in the hopes of one day getting him to sign it.

This felt very much like a tall tale, right down to the perfectly somber-toned close of, "And as far as I know, she never told her story about his championships three pointer again". Could be wrong, but sure comes off that way.

Drummond#1
07-21-2013, 02:15 AM
This happened mid 2000ís. I didn't grow up in Chicago, never was a Bulls fan, didn't go through the hero-worship, but I understood it. The guy was a legend, I can respect that. My friends who grew up in Chicago did their best to indoctrinate me. One friend in particular, a tiny, feisty, full-hearted, asthmatic but incredibly athletically achieved Japanese girl who grew up in the suburbs led the charge. She, as a graduate student, had an MJ poster on her wall, and another on the ceiling over her bed. She could make you live his last championship three pointer with the way she got excited about telling you where she was and how she felt when she saw it. She also carried around his baseball card in the hopes of one day getting him to sign it.

Cool story bro.

setman2000
07-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Compulsive gambler, adulterer and worst executive ever. But hey, at least he isn't Kobe the Rapist!

SportsFanatic10
07-21-2013, 02:35 AM
mj the man love the stories by posters taking the thread seriously. keep em coming.

John Walls Era
07-21-2013, 04:18 AM

Wtf. Guess a "MJ was a jerk to my friend looking for an autograph" wasn't good enough.

John Walls Era
07-21-2013, 04:26 AM
He dunked from half court once.

jam
07-21-2013, 05:28 AM
I've met quite a few pro athletes and worked with dozens of "elite" D1 athletes over the years.

In most cases, their arrogance is completely off the charts. Being labeled the GOAT has to take one's ego to stratospheric heights, so this story is not at all unbelievable.

One practical tip for you guys: treat these people as regular people and they will treat you with respect. Fawn over them and they will try to walk all over you.

I speak in a loud and confident voice when dealing with athletes, and that is enough to not only command their respect, but it often stops them dead in their tracks since they're not used to being spoken to in that fashion, unless it's from an authority figure, such as their coach. It's an automatic reaction they have.

Most of these guys are spoiled children, and just need to be put in their place.

jp611
07-21-2013, 05:55 AM
When I met Boozer this year, I just kept yelling "Grab it, Jo" until he looked over and pointed at me while laughing :laugh2:

But yeah, jam hit it right on the money

Best story I had meeting a player was Gary Payton though, it was when he played for the Sonics... My dad and I were in Minneapolis and he decided to get tickets to the Twolves game for us... So we stayed at a really nice hotel right across the street from the Target Center (my dad did this because he wanted to see if we could meet the players)... Being a kid I was so damn stoked and what do you know as we're waiting in the lobby for the players the entire Sonics team comes strolling through... Rashard Lewis, Ruben Patterson, and Patrick Ewing were the 3 I mainly remembered.... Rashard and Ruben were awesome, signed an autograph for me and shook my hand... Ewing was a ****ing prick... I was the only kid around and no one was even bugging the team, I simply asked for an autograph and he says, "Kid, I don't do autographs"... So The Glove was one of my favorite players at the time and I hadn't noticed him... As my Dad and I start walking to head back to our room, what do you know it's Gary Payton in a hurry trying to get on the elevator. My dad asked if we could have his autograph and he said "yeah man of course, but I'm running late and I gotta go fast, come on the elevator with me"... So I get on the elevator, he signs an autograph, takes a picture with me and we told him the story about Ewing... His exact words were, "Yeah, Ewing's an *******"

I'll literally never forget that... Sometimes athletes don't realize what a couple of minutes can do for a kid... Gary Payton realized it... It was something I'll never forget and was truly an awesome moment as a youngster

jam
07-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Yeah, these guys are just normal guys. If you shoot the s--- with them like you would with any of your friends, they'll act just like your friends. 99% of these guys are either teenagers or young adults like most of their fan base anyway.

If you treat them like a celeb and fawn over them, you'll "trigger" another part of their personality.

They are very easy to manipulate in this way. They have superiors just like everyone else that THEY have to kiss a-- to. And they have tons of 'subordinates' ie fans that they can treat in any way they wish.

One of the 'masters' in managing player egos is jim rome. He treats EVERY athlete like a kid: speaks down to them, 'atta boy,' speaks in a very low, masculine voice, teases and taunts them without apology, etc.

IKnowHoops
07-21-2013, 06:24 AM

............:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:........

SportsFanatic10
07-21-2013, 06:48 AM
When I met Boozer this year, I just kept yelling "Grab it, Jo" until he looked over and pointed at me while laughing :laugh2:

Best story I had meeting a player was Gary Payton though, it was when he played for the Sonics... My dad and I were in Minneapolis and he decided to get tickets to the Twolves game for us... So we stayed at a really nice hotel right across the street from the Target Center (my dad did this because he wanted to see if we could meet the players)... Being a kid I was so damn stoked and what do you know as we're waiting in the lobby for the players the entire Sonics team comes strolling through... Rashard Lewis, Ruben Patterson, and Patrick Ewing were the 3 I mainly remembered.... Rashard and Ruben were awesome, signed an autograph for me and shook my hand... Ewing was a ****ing prick... I was the only kid around and no one was even bugging the team, I simply asked for an autograph and he says, "Kid, I don't do autographs"... So The Glove was one of my favorite players at the time and I hadn't noticed him... As my Dad and I start walking to head back to our room, what do you know it's Gary Payton in a hurry trying to get on the elevator. My dad asked if we could have his autograph and he said "yeah man of course, but I'm running late and I gotta go fast, come on the elevator with me"... So I get on the elevator, he signs an autograph, takes a picture with me and we told him the story about Ewing... His exact words were, "Yeah, Ewing's an *******"

I'll literally never forget that... Sometimes athletes don't realize what a couple of minutes can do for a kid... Gary Payton realized it... It was something I'll never forget and was truly an awesome moment as a youngster

i gotta say, that's pretty cool man. players like that can leave ever lasting impressions by just taking a little time to be cool.

jp611
07-21-2013, 06:56 AM
i gotta say, that's pretty cool man. players like that can leave ever lasting impressions by just taking a little time to be cool.

Agreed man... It's something I'll never forget, and it was just a couple minutes of his time... EVEN when he was running late behind the rest of his team

The comment about Ewing was awesome though... You could tell he wasn't a fan of his

COOLbeans
07-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Danny Glover was an ******* to me when I was a ki d :shrug:

NYKnickFanatic
07-21-2013, 10:48 AM

Haha that's cool man. And lol at Ewing. I saw him at a restaurant in NYC about two years ago, and he was giving autographs and taking pics after he finished eating. Maybe he was still bitter about being traded to Seattle lol.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
I've met quite a few pro athletes and worked with dozens of "elite" D1 athletes over the years.

In most cases, their arrogance is completely off the charts. Being labeled the GOAT has to take one's ego to stratospheric heights, so this story is not at all unbelievable.

One practical tip for you guys: treat these people as regular people and they will treat you with respect. Fawn over them and they will try to walk all over you.

I speak in a loud and confident voice when dealing with athletes, and that is enough to not only command their respect, but it often stops them dead in their tracks since they're not used to being spoken to in that fashion, unless it's from an authority figure, such as their coach. It's an automatic reaction they have.

Most of these guys are spoiled children, and just need to be put in their place.

Great points man.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Hahaha I love Payton. Just yesterday I watched like 10 of his Inside the NBA videos. Wish he came back to television man.

spreadeagle
07-21-2013, 05:04 PM
dont know if this was posted but Chamillionaire the rapper has THE BEST MJ being a dick to him story, so funny the way he tells it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow

jam
07-21-2013, 05:17 PM
It's interesting that he mentions Michael Jackson along with Jordan as the two entertainers he most looked up to.

Unfortunately, we live in a topsy turvy world where utter scumbags and degenerates like Jordan and Bryant are revered.

Whereas truly good and kind people like michael jackson unfortunately find themselves the victim of character assassination.

The difference is, Michael Jackson spoke out against the corrupt and wealthy (some call them illuminati) that control entertainment and politics (MJ called it a 'conspiracy'), whereas Jordan bowed down to powerful white people.

It's disgusting.

dont know if this was posted but Chamillionaire the rapper has THE BEST MJ being a dick to him story, so funny the way he tells it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow

COOLbeans
07-21-2013, 09:18 PM
It's interesting that he mentions Michael Jackson along with Jordan as the two entertainers he most looked up to.

Unfortunately, we live in a topsy turvy world where utter scumbags and degenerates like Jordan and Bryant are revered.

Whereas truly good and kind people like michael jackson unfortunately find themselves the victim of character assassination.

The difference is, Michael Jackson spoke out against the corrupt and wealthy (some call them illuminati) that control entertainment and politics (MJ called it a 'conspiracy'), whereas Jordan bowed down to powerful white people.

It's disgusting.

Ok I see your ideas as not being crazy. But I'm curious as to what you mean by your connections with 'powerful white people,' and the illuminati?

jam
07-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm just pointing out that Michael Jordan is a corporate shill for companies like Nike, owned by whites. He won't bite the hands that feed him.

Michael Jackson was extremely outspoken in the latter years of his life. He called out tommy mottola in particular:

"The recording companies really, really do conspire against the artists," Jackson said. "They steal, they cheat, they do everything they can, especially [against] the black artists. ... People from James Brown to Sammy Davis Jr., some of the real pioneers that inspired me to be an entertainer, these artists are always on tour, because if they stop touring, they would go hungry. If you fight for me, you're fighting for all black people, dead and alive."

But Jackson may have taken a wrong turn when he turned the fight for him into a fight against Mottola. Claiming that Mottola had used the "N-word" to refer to an unidentified black Sony artist, Jackson singled out the company chairman for being "mean ... a racist ... and very, very, very devilish."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1455976/michael-jackson-calls-tommy-mottola-racist.jhtml

Mottola was head of sony US operations at the time.

Jackson also bought the entirety of the beatles catalog for $48 million and parlayed that success into a 50% ownership deal of the entirety of the sony catalog, now worth upwards of $4 billion.

As you might imagine, Sony soon regretted their partnership, since it became clear to them that michael jackson was too intelligent and principled to allow the sony vultures to steal from him, as they did with every other black artist before him.

As a result of jackson's outspokenness, and business acumen, jackson's public image was destroyed: he was labelled a pedophile (completely false), and eventually killed.

The message is simple: NEVER speak out against powerful interests or you put your life in danger.

Ok I see your ideas as not being crazy. But I'm curious as to what you mean by your connections with 'powerful white people,' and the illuminati?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Hahaha I love Payton. Just yesterday I watched like 10 of his Inside the NBA videos. Wish he came back to television man.

Saw that he's going to be on a show with Regis soon lol.

Jesse Pinkman
07-21-2013, 11:26 PM
The best anecdote relating to Michael Jordan is people saying that Kobe is close to him.

kozelkid
07-22-2013, 12:26 AM
The best anecdote relating to Michael Jordan is people saying that Kobe is close to him.

It's definitely the funniest.

Rentzias
07-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I've read as many of the MJ books that are out there as I could, except for the Wizards one, which was unreadable, but maybe because I pretend that didn't happen. Sam Smith's "The Jordan Rules" is awesome for all things "MJ Was A Dick" and the David Halberstam book was good for all the "cleaner" type anecdotes.

That said, the Kennedy story is Top 3 all time.

J4KOP99
07-22-2013, 12:32 PM
What's the Kennedy story?

Heatcheck
07-22-2013, 05:20 PM

maybe, but he aint wrong

COOLbeans
07-22-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm just pointing out that Michael Jordan is a corporate shill for companies like Nike, owned by whites. He won't bite the hands that feed him.

Michael Jackson was extremely outspoken in the latter years of his life. He called out tommy mottola in particular:

"The recording companies really, really do conspire against the artists," Jackson said. "They steal, they cheat, they do everything they can, especially [against] the black artists. ... People from James Brown to Sammy Davis Jr., some of the real pioneers that inspired me to be an entertainer, these artists are always on tour, because if they stop touring, they would go hungry. If you fight for me, you're fighting for all black people, dead and alive."

But Jackson may have taken a wrong turn when he turned the fight for him into a fight against Mottola. Claiming that Mottola had used the "N-word" to refer to an unidentified black Sony artist, Jackson singled out the company chairman for being "mean ... a racist ... and very, very, very devilish."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1455976/michael-jackson-calls-tommy-mottola-racist.jhtml

Mottola was head of sony US operations at the time.

Jackson also bought the entirety of the beatles catalog for $48 million and parlayed that success into a 50% ownership deal of the entirety of the sony catalog, now worth upwards of $4 billion.

As you might imagine, Sony soon regretted their partnership, since it became clear to them that michael jackson was too intelligent and principled to allow the sony vultures to steal from him, as they did with every other black artist before him.

As a result of jackson's outspokenness, and business acumen, jackson's public image was destroyed: he was labelled a pedophile (completely false), and eventually killed.

The message is simple: NEVER speak out against powerful interests or you put your life in danger.

Ok I se your point..

JerseyPalahniuk
07-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Damn jam, I wonder what you do for a living. Quite the analytic you are (said in utmost sincerity).

TheNumber37
07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
The Steve Kerr Story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjgBrNWL0c

Mr_Jones
07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
My favorite story about Michael Jordan was SpaceJam...twas a true story...the truest of them all!

****, no way???

jam
07-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Well, as someone I respect very much has often said: "I am an ordinary man in pursuit of extraordinary knowledge." :)

Damn jam, I wonder what you do for a living. Quite the analytic you are (said in utmost sincerity).

KingPosey
07-23-2013, 06:44 AM
I can't imagine why Jordan didnt give the utmost respect to
The amazing "Chamillionaire", and his group of underbelly sucker fish slagging around him for loose change.

LBJ6
07-23-2013, 07:17 AM
I don't think so.

Guppyfighter
07-23-2013, 08:42 AM
If I saw Jordan in real life, my goal would be to provoke him into punching me once. Swear to god.

Triple_Ocho
07-23-2013, 09:50 AM
My favorite story about Jordan being a douche was his nationally televised Hall of Fame speech.