PDA

View Full Version : Which Superstar is under the most pressure for 2013-2014

shep33
07-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Melo? KD? Dwight? CP3?

Just off the top of my head a named those 4, and I probably wouldn't even put Durant in that mix. Still by far the youngest of that group.

I'm going to go with CP3... The Clips are stacked, and they have arguably a top 3 coach, heck he might be the best in the NBA.

I'm not even sure if Melo deserves to be up here... it's more about his squad stepping up as well.

Dwight obviously has a ton to prove. 3rd team in 3 years for a superstar in his prime, it's put up time for D12.

Who you got?

stawka
07-18-2013, 02:30 AM
I'd have to put Rose in the mix too, just because of how longe he took off to "get it right"

Agreed with CP3 and Dwight

ThunderousDemon
07-18-2013, 02:35 AM
I picked Chris Paul because he's surrounded with the most talent he has ever had.

The thing with Dwight and the Rockets is that they'll be content with whatever the outcome is, just as long as they make the playoffs. Minimal pressure in Houston for him.

Carmelo is stuck with the Knicks for the foreseeable future and with the Heat, Bulls, Nets, and Pacers in his way. It'll be tough for him to try and win a championship with the Knicks.

No Westbrook, no finals for Kevin Durant. If everyone is healthy for the Thunder, then they'll be in the WCF.

Iron24th
07-18-2013, 02:44 AM
CP3 and dwight by far

FOBolous
07-18-2013, 03:05 AM
I picked Chris Paul because he's surrounded with the most talent he has ever had.

The thing with Dwight and the Rockets is that they'll be content with whatever the outcome is, just as long as they make the playoffs. Minimal pressure in Houston for him.

Carmelo is stuck with the Knicks for the foreseeable future and with the Heat, Bulls, Nets, and Pacers in his way. It'll be tough for him to try and win a championship with the Knicks.

No Westbrook, no finals for Kevin Durant. If everyone is healthy for the Thunder, then they'll be in the WCF.

this. the pressure is DEFINITELY on CP3. people has always hyped him up to be this amazing player yet he has yet to make it to the conference finals. this year, with a new coach and all the talent around him, he has no excuse.

sunsfan88
07-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Has to be Dwight. I can only imagine the backlash he will get from the public and from the city of LA if Houston gets lasted out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round.

They gotta make it to at least the WCFs or else hell breaks loose.

And Durant absolutely deserves to be on that list. I'm tired of him and Rose getting a free pass every damn time just cause their humble. And Durant btw, is no longer humble. He was like among the top players for most techs and arguing and pissing off refs despite him still getting all the calls and going to FT line a lot.

rockbottom2010
07-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Carmelo Anthony

Greet
07-18-2013, 04:45 AM
If we are going to consider Carmelo Anthony a superstar, then it is most likely him. He just hasn't shown the ability to lead a team deep in the playoffs. So I don't know if I would consider him a superstar.

Dwight on the other hand, should be on the hot seat. After the Lakers implosion last year. It has to be him.

EDIT: I decided to vote for Dwight Howard, just based on the reasoning that I don't think Carmelo is a superstar.

OceanSpray
07-18-2013, 04:48 AM
It would be LeBron again if he was on that list but it's clearly KD or Dwight. Chris Paul tends to not get any hate at all while KD and Dwight have been.

tyler55
07-18-2013, 04:52 AM
Probably Chris Paul.

Asik's better
07-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Cp3. Have to at least make the wcf or there would be serious questions asked of cp3. However I feel Blake griffin would face the full brunt of the force if the clips fail this, mainly because he isn't as respected around the league as CP3

RiceOnTheRun
07-18-2013, 05:01 AM

I'd have to agree with the bolded part. However, if they don't do something to fix the Perkins problem, I think they'll have some trouble getting there. Against the Grizzlies with Gasol and Z-Bo for one, it's basically like tossing a dog a bone. Dwight Howard would definitely enjoy running circles around Perk, I can tell you that for sure. The Thunder were pretty closely matched with the Rockets, even with Westbrook and no matter what anyone else says, adding Dwight is definitely a plus for them.

Other than that, yeah I'd say probably the Clippers. For probably the first time in franchise history, the Clippers are head over heels better than the Lakers, no arguments. Chris Paul needs to show that he can lead a team to the WCF at the very least. He's got a better team than NY, Houston and possible OKC so they need to go out there and prove themselves.

sammyvine
07-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Has to be Dwight. I can only imagine the backlash he will get from the public and from the city of LA if Houston gets lasted out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round.

They gotta make it to at least the WCFs or else hell breaks loose.

And Durant absolutely deserves to be on that list. I'm tired of him and Rose getting a free pass every damn time just cause their humble. And Durant btw, is no longer humble. He was like among the top players for most techs and arguing and pissing off refs despite him still getting all the calls and going to FT line a lot.

Do you understand the word ''humble''...
arguing with referees and getting techs doesn't mean your not humble.
Tim duncan is considered ''humble'' and he argues with referees

Lol your logic is baffling

sammyvine
07-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Cp3. Have to at least make the wcf or there would be serious questions asked of cp3. However I feel Blake griffin would face the full brunt of the force if the clips fail this, mainly because he isn't as respected around the league as CP3

Yup

Probably the only ''superstar'' in the league who gets no blame when his team gets crushed in the 1st and 2nd rounds...Carmelo get's mocked when he crushes in the playoffs, lebron was getting mocked when he was going out in conference finals...yet when cp3 loses, its the teams fault, or ''injuries''.

He is being paid $107m. He should be able to get past the 1st round with that team and coach

RiceOnTheRun
07-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Yup

Probably the only ''superstar'' in the league who gets no blame when his team gets crushed in the 1st and 2nd rounds...Carmelo get's mocked when he crushes in the playoffs, lebron was getting mocked when he was going out in conference finals...yet when cp3 loses, its the teams fault, or ''injuries''.

He is being paid $107m. He should be able to get past the 1st round with that team and coach

Get past the first round? More like at least make the WCF imo. Many people regard CP3 as the best PG in the league and at the very least top 5 overall. With a top 5 coach by his side, a couple sharpshooters and another top 15 player in Blake Griffin, I think it'd be almost an given for them to get past the first round.

sunsfan88
07-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Do you understand the word ''humble''...
arguing with referees and getting techs doesn't mean your not humble.
Tim duncan is considered ''humble'' and he argues with referees

Lol your logic is baffling
Ok fine, do you want me to add cheap fouls as well to Durant's image? How about talking trash a lot more?

Before, he actually just kept to himself and played his game...that's when OKC had been getting to WCFs and the Finals. Now, he's been talking trash and arguing with the refs (something he didn't used to do before) and they can't get out of the 2nd round.

TheMagicAct24
07-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Its Dwight Howard like my man above said the Rockets will be his third team in 3 yrs. His last two playoff appearances have been first round exits one with the Magic and last season with the Lakers(even though they were done before it got started). Im not even sure if the Rockets are as deep and talented like the 2009 Magic team that went to the Finals. Its definitely put up or shut up for D12.

Lets face it without Westbrook my boy Durant wont be going anywhere the West is stacked with the Clippers, Nuggets, Rockets, Warriors, Grizzlies, and of course the Spurs.

I think Melo gets too much blame you cant win when J.R. Smith is your second best player. The Knicks in general wont win anything if Melo is playing 1-5 because either his teammates just sit and watch or they cant create for themselves. The Knicks are at their best when they play good defense, and knocking down threes. Its not Melo's fault if J.R. Smith is shooting 34% and the rest of the team dont step up.

The Clippers I think Blake Griffin deserves the blame instead of Chris Paul. Teams design their gameplan to stop or limit Paul every possession. If you take away Blake's dunks and be physical with him then what else does he have. Paul's job is to run the offense, get his guys involved, and score points here and their. Instead the last of couple of playoffs he's been forced to score with guys like Mike Conley and in the 4th qtr Tony Allen beating up on him. Where was Blake? Now if the Clippers dont deliver then yes Paul should get the blame.

JordansBulls
07-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Dwight

Hawkeye15
07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
If Melo is a superstar, then I say Kevin Love. Time for him to show he can lead a team to the playoffs with the awesome stats he piles up.

Tmath
07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
If Melo is a superstar, then I say Kevin Love. Time for him to show he can lead a team to the playoffs with the awesome stats he piles up.

Lol, you are such a homer.

Love has yet to get his team to the playoffs, Melo gets his team there every year. They aren't in the same league. Love has to prove he can stay healthy first.

boboo73
07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Melo? KD? Dwight? CP3?

Just off the top of my head a named those 4, and I probably wouldn't even put Durant in that mix. Still by far the youngest of that group.

I'm going to go with CP3... The Clips are stacked, and they have arguably a top 3 coach, heck he might be the best in the NBA.

I'm not even sure if Melo deserves to be up here... it's more about his squad stepping up as well.

Dwight obviously has a ton to prove. 3rd team in 3 years for a superstar in his prime, it's put up time for D12.

Who you got?

I agree with another person that Rose should be on the list.

Doc could be a top 3 coach but definitely not the top. That belongs to Pops.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Lol, you are such a homer.

Love has yet to get his team to the playoffs, Melo gets his team there every year. They aren't in the same league. Love has to prove he can stay healthy first.

shall we go through the roster support each has had? My point is, Love finally has a roster that looks like a playoff team. Can he lead them there?

Concerning Melo versus Love, my point is, if Melo is considered a superstar, when he has been anywhere from top 8-15 throughout the years, then so is Love.

sp1derm00
07-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I think Kobe has the most pressure on him. Not only is he coming back from a serious injury, but he's doing it in a much shorter time than anyone expected of him. Then, you have to consider that the Lakers are gearing up to back up Kobe as best they can to give him the best shot they can give him right now at competing for another championship. No, I'm not saying Kaman, Farmar, Young, and Johnson allow him to compete, it's just the best the Lakers can do right now. They're not tanking, they're getting the best players they can to give Kobe the best chance he can at winning.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2013, 11:31 AM
I think Kobe has the most pressure on him. Not only is he coming back from a serious injury, but he's doing it in a much shorter time than anyone expected of him. Then, you have to consider that the Lakers are gearing up to back up Kobe as best they can to give him the best shot they can give him right now at competing for another championship. No, I'm not saying Kaman, Farmar, Young, and Johnson allow him to compete, it's just the best the Lakers can do right now. They're not tanking, they're getting the best players they can to give Kobe the best chance he can at winning.

To be fair, Kobe has never been under the pressure many others are. That is what happens when you win chips early. At this point of his career, anything he can give at a high level is just gravy on top.

FYL_McVeezy
07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I think it's a neck and neck race btwn CP3 and D12...with Melo and KD a not so distant 3rd and 4th....

CP3 and D12 both are in somewhat new situations (CP3 has a new coach, Dwight has a whole new team),

NYJ - NYY
07-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Its Dwight Howard like my man above said the Rockets will be his third team in 3 yrs. His last two playoff appearances have been first round exits one with the Magic and last season with the Lakers(even though they were done before it got started). Im not even sure if the Rockets are as deep and talented like the 2009 Magic team that went to the Finals. Its definitely put up or shut up for D12.

Lets face it without Westbrook my boy Durant wont be going anywhere the West is stacked with the Clippers, Nuggets, Rockets, Warriors, Grizzlies, and of course the Spurs.

I think Melo gets too much blame you cant win when J.R. Smith is your second best player. The Knicks in general wont win anything if Melo is playing 1-5 because either his teammates just sit and watch or they cant create for themselves. The Knicks are at their best when they play good defense, and knocking down threes. Its not Melo's fault if J.R. Smith is shooting 34% and the rest of the team dont step up.

The Clippers I think Blake Griffin deserves the blame instead of Chris Paul. Teams design their gameplan to stop or limit Paul every possession. If you take away Blake's dunks and be physical with him then what else does he have. Paul's job is to run the offense, get his guys involved, and score points here and their. Instead the last of couple of playoffs he's been forced to score with guys like Mike Conley and in the 4th qtr Tony Allen beating up on him. Where was Blake? Now if the Clippers dont deliver then yes Paul should get the blame.

great post! agree with every point made.. post more often...PSD needs it

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Voted Dwight because the media backlash will be INSANE if the Rockets are out in say the 1st round after all the hype. CP3 is definitely a close second though and I agree with people here that it's WCF or better, or bust. If Clippers are out in the first two rounds they deserve max criticism considering they finally got rid of the awful coach and added some very talented pieces this summer.

JordansBulls
07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Rose is another guy for sitting out all year.

BALLER R
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose. Rose has to be number one.

2-ONE-5
07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Rose by far.

Howard
Paul
Melo

Yankeefan213
07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I say D Rose with Dwight at a very close 2nd

shep33
07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah should've put Rose in there

I Rock Shaqs
07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
eASILY mELO.

Oldmantrash
07-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Durant should have the most pressure, but people take it easy on him.

NYKalltheway
07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Should be Melo imo. Specially now with the rumors(false or not) that he might opt out and join the Lakers

farren.louis
07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Dwight Howard has the most pressure but I dont see anyone beating houston.

NYKalltheway
07-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Dwight Howard has the most pressure but I dont see anyone beating houston.

Houston = 2nd round exit

mjt20mik
07-18-2013, 01:36 PM
CP3, Dwight, Rose in that order

envymamba24
07-18-2013, 02:12 PM
I say Melo. Though NY will love him regardless. Tht guy has to start racking up playoff wins soon or his legacy is gonna be pretty damn tainted...if it is a legacy at all.

Go cuse though lol I love '03 Melo

envymamba24
07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Durant should have the most pressure, but people take it easy on him.

Pretty true. I really like Durant. They are still real young though, they have alot of playoff experience now though, I think they better do it soon

nycericanguy
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I say Melo. Though NY will love him regardless. Tht guy has to start racking up playoff wins soon or his legacy is gonna be pretty damn tainted...if it is a legacy at all.

Go cuse though lol I love '03 Melo

But Melo doesn't have anywhere near the talent around him that other stars from his class have... actually all the other stars from his class teamed up...lol.

To me its CP3 & Love... CP3 has a ton of talent around him now and an incredibly deep team. And Love needs to at least CONTEND for a damn playoff spot already! I mean there are a lot of circumstances around it, but he has a horrific career record... like historically bad.

but to the casual fan I think its Howard.

Ryan328
07-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Howard, easily

sammyvine
07-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Ok fine, do you want me to add cheap fouls as well to Durant's image? How about talking trash a lot more?

Before, he actually just kept to himself and played his game...that's when OKC had been getting to WCFs and the Finals. Now, he's been talking trash and arguing with the refs (something he didn't used to do before) and they can't get out of the 2nd round.
erm last year is the only year they couldnt get past the 2nd round

J4KOP99
07-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I think the majority of fans are finally starting to realize just how good LeBron is... therefore, I don't think any of the guys you listed are under THAT much pressure.

However, Paul, with his roster, needs to at least get to the WCF.

-Howard has already carried a team to the Finals but you would like to see them at least get to the 2nd round.

-Melo and the Knicks got worse IMO (that, or their competition got better...) so as long as they get past the 1st rd, I think they will reach their potential.

-Rose better have the Bulls in the WCF. They were very good w/o him.

-KD depends on if RW is healthy. If both guys are ready to go and they aren't dealing with any other major injuries, I would expect them to get to WCF and be in the finals.

I think those names will have a good year IF:

-Dwight reaches the 2nd round (I expect the WCF to be OKC and LAC)

-CP3 reaches the WCF

-Carmelo reaches the 2nd rd (I know knicks fans won't be satisfied, but those of us looking from the outside can see that the Knicks are not THAT good.

-KD has to at least reach the WCF and should be in the Finals. He's the 2nd best player in the league IMO. If westbrook is healthy, no excuses.

-Rose reaches the WCF

THE MTL
07-18-2013, 04:04 PM
I think it's time for Chris Paul to step up. I wanna see New Orleans 08 Chris Paul. 22ppg 11apg. While he's been playing great in LA, I feel like he's capable of more.

flea
07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Big year for CP3. He's got a good backcourt around him finally but he's still at the mercy of either/both of: Blake's development and DJ's development.

asandhu23
07-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Melo. the only one of the 2003 draft golden boys to not win it all.

JordansBulls
07-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Melo. the only one of the 2003 draft golden boys to not win it all.

Are you serious here? Only one who did win it all was Wade. the others had to join forces with him to do so as well.

MinnesotaFtw
07-18-2013, 04:58 PM
How about a wild card: Steph Curry. Pressure to stay healthy, and with the pieces they have added, pressure to go deep into the playoffs.

TheIlladelph16
07-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Are you serious here? Only one who did win it all was Wade. the others had to join forces with him to do so as well.

How exactly was what he said not correct though? I understand what your saying and your views on this (which is ludicrous to begin with), but he is factually correct there.

goku
07-18-2013, 05:15 PM
if funny everyone is picking Dwight howard which I would expect after this offseason, but people seem to forget CP3 hasn't been pass the 2nd round

Cal827
07-18-2013, 05:17 PM

That's funny, I don't remember Darko joining forces with anybody to win his NBA title :D

Rockice_8
07-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Dwight needs to play well and take his team to the second round at least to not be a failure this year but I don't think he's the guy with the most pressure. It's his first year there.

Melo has pressure on him as well but I don't think he's got a championship cast around him. No second star to lean on for him so I put him third behind Dwight at #2.

Number 1 has to be CP3. Widely regarded as the best PG. They catered to him giving him shooters and a high flying frontcourt to run with so he's got everything a PG could ask for. Unfortunately I see them slipping up again and the pressure is going to start piling up.

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2013, 05:32 PM
I would say James Harden is under more pressure than Dwight Howard. People know Howard's not a leader, but now that Harden has a contender-quality team, people will expect him to lead to the finals.
Blake Griffin is also under a lot of pressure. People have gotten over the fact that he can dunk and rebound. Now he's got to play defense to be elite. If he can jump that high, there's no reason for him not to be getting the better part of two blocks per game.