PDA

View Full Version : Byron Mullens To The Clippers

Clippersfan86
07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Free agent 7-footer Byron Mullens is nearing agreement on a two-year deal with the Clippers, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Fantastic bargain pickup as a backup.

beasted86
07-17-2013, 10:20 PM
He's not that good. There is a reason he was almost out of the league.

If his jumper is not dropping he is pretty useless. Think current Rashard Lewis but less range.

shep33
07-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Good pick up, just adds depth if anything. Didn't you guys sign Hollins? Don't see where Mullens will play behind DJ and Hollins

eyeamagerm
07-17-2013, 10:22 PM
both hollins and mullins can backup the 4 as well....all be it not GREAT but they can

tredigs
07-17-2013, 10:32 PM
He's so athletic and talented for a guy that size, and every once in a while has those WOW games, but... least consistent player of all time. And they don't make 'em much worse defensively. Doubt he'll get much run without some serious improvement.

Clippersfan86
07-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Mullens is better than Hollins. He provides a nice balance of range/rebounding to pair with Blake.

HouRealCoach
07-17-2013, 10:33 PM
He was another big man from Ohio State who ended up being nothing

ChiSox219
07-17-2013, 10:35 PM
He's a fringe NBA player so hard to call it a fantastic pickup. With Blake and DJ the Clippers have been looking add a stretch big so I get the logic but i would be surprised if Mullens makes any impact this season.

Forever35
07-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Mullens is better than Hollins. He provides a nice balance of range/rebounding to pair with Blake.

Way better than Hollins... Hollins is still with the Clippers because Doc likes him from his 1 year in Boston...

Very good pick-up for LA...

Clippersfan86
07-17-2013, 10:38 PM
He's a fringe NBA player so hard to call it a fantastic pickup. With Blake and DJ the Clippers have been looking add a stretch big so I get the logic but i would be surprised if Mullens makes any impact this season.

That bad? I thought for minimum, very good pickup. Bad team or not he had some awfully dominant games last year, vs elite defenders such as KG for example.

KB24PG16
07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
odom to the lakers now? lol

J4KOP99
07-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Fantastic.

ChiSox219
07-17-2013, 10:49 PM
That bad? I thought for minimum, very good pickup. Bad team or not he had some awfully dominant games last year, vs elite defenders such as KG for example.

He puts up hollow numbers only takes a few games to realize it. He's still young and LAC should be a great situation for him to develop if he's got it in him.

Clippersfan86
07-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Yea he's Blake's age (recently turned 24). Like you said the key for me is that a good situation may change his trajectory. Doc+CP3+Blake SHOULD help him.

True Sports Fan
07-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Championship in the books now.

GiantsSwaGG
07-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Bryon Mullens stinks

jaji10
07-17-2013, 11:03 PM
last piece to the puzzle= championship!!

kylem4711
07-17-2013, 11:28 PM
ha. go clippers?

Clippersfan86
07-17-2013, 11:32 PM
ha. go clippers?

Dynasty!! No but really although he's an average player at best... he could be a good fit next to Blake for stretches. Teams actually have to defend him, unlike DJ. Kyle have you been watching Bullock in summer league? You should tune in... dude looks like a freaking beast rookie and huge steal.

Cracka2HI!
07-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Dynasty!! No but really although he's an average player at best... he could be a good fit next to Blake for stretches. Teams actually have to defend him, unlike DJ. Kyle have you been watching Bullock in summer league? You should tune in... dude looks like a freaking beast rookie and huge steal.

I saw a game. Bullock is pretty nice. You can't tell anything from Summer League...well he can shoot and run. You can see that. As for Mullens, he is a boom or bust type pickup. I can see us rolling twin towers off the bench with Hollins and Mullens. Good God that sounds awful! I'll be OK with the pickup if we pick up a PF. Mullens is a stretch big which is good. Now we need someone tough that can battle. Like Odom.

kblo247
07-17-2013, 11:46 PM
He has talent and rebounding prowess. He just avoids contact. And no its not in the Bargs was as Andrea can defend one on one and play post d, its more in the he is too perimeter oriented way. He just allows himself to settle too much for someone his size, with his range, and talent .... White Tim Thomas circa PHX

Plus side is that this means Jamison goes to the bobcats and retires at home playing next to Big Al.

Greatest side note of all, this means its damn sure 99% certain .... He's coming home, he's coming home, LOs coming home where he belongs next to Pau and Kobe with Rambis as the defensive coach

Clippersfan86
07-17-2013, 11:50 PM
I saw a game. Bullock is pretty nice. You can't tell anything from Summer League...well he can shoot and run. You can see that. As for Mullens, he is a boom or bust type pickup. I can see us rolling twin towers off the bench with Hollins and Mullens. Good God that sounds awful! I'll be OK with the pickup if we pick up a PF. Mullens is a stretch big which is good. Now we need someone tough that can battle. Like Odom.

Well you can't tell anything definite as in how good a player will be. His poise, shot and defense have been awesome though for a 25th pick. His offensive arsenal and quick hands on D have surprised me. I'm watching the 4th straight SL game and Bullock is averaging 15/4/2. Tonight he has like 9/3 at halftime. He's one of those guys like Jamal Crawford who seems to shoot way better with a defender in his face than wide open.

kylem4711
07-18-2013, 12:01 AM

yup, ive seen everyone but the one thats on right now. think he has 9 in the half though. Love his shot and rebounding. He doesn't seem the be the outstanding defender that everyone said he was though. he is a willing defender, but seems to be just a step slow at times.

overall, lovin the pickup.

kylem4711
07-18-2013, 12:14 AM
clippers after camby too. dont know why to pull the trigger so early on mullens. i guess the more the merrier.

Stunner
07-18-2013, 12:20 AM
This takes Camby off the Clippers list , hopefully Hou doesn't want him anymore so the Bulls can get him to backup Noah

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 12:22 AM
This takes Camby off the Clippers list , hopefully Hou doesn't want him anymore so the Bulls can get him to backup Noah

No it doesn't lol. Clippers still seeking another big.

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 12:24 AM
yup, ive seen everyone but the one thats on right now. think he has 9 in the half though. Love his shot and rebounding. He doesn't seem the be the outstanding defender that everyone said he was though. he is a willing defender, but seems to be just a step slow at times.

overall, lovin the pickup.

He's scored in a beautiful variety of ways this game. I never heard outstanding defender, just willing and capable as you said. He's "solid" defensively and never takes risks or makes stupid decisions.. just very stable. Not a liability, not a beast. He's up to 16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists right now with 6 min left.

Theyhateme459
07-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Good Riddance, Hope he enjoys LA

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Reggie going bullocks. Tune in Clippers fans. Prime Ticket.

Chronz
07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Good pick up, just adds depth if anything. Didn't you guys sign Hollins? Don't see where Mullens will play behind DJ and Hollins

Its because we signed Hollins that we need a guy like Mullens. Those are 2 players who should be 3rd string centers at best. I think Hollins will begin to come into his own this year and Mullens, when he has his J going, is a good 3rd string center. Hopefully they push each other, more than likely tho, they continue being 3rd stringers

Chronz
07-18-2013, 12:05 PM
lol you guys sound like giddy school girls

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Last season:

Player A: 28.7 MPG, 12.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 39.9% FG, 30.9% 3P, 84.4% FT, 1.1 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.7 BPG
Player B: 26.9 MPG, 10.6 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 38.5% FG, 31.7% 3P, 64.6% FT, 1.5 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.6 BPG

Player A is Andrea Bargnani, who the Knicks will have for two more years at over $23 million, and gave up a first rounder and several second rounders to get. Player B is Byron Mullens for a minimum contract.

This is something I read on another forum. When you look at it this way, doesn't seem bad at all lolz. :clap:

hugepatsfan
07-18-2013, 04:13 PM
I like him as a fit next to Blake for stretches. The problem is they still lack any type of real defensive presence down low. Doc is going to have to teach DeAndre Jordan to be that guy or they need to move him for one.

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
I like him as a fit next to Blake for stretches. The problem is they still lack any type of real defensive presence down low. Doc is going to have to teach DeAndre Jordan to be that guy or they need to move him for one.

I wouldn't say they lack ANY defensive presence. Blake was a defensive presence a lot of times. I think the key here is both Blake and DJ have the TOOLS, skillset to be an elite defensive duo as Doc said. Now the goal is teaching them HOW to utilize their talent. In fact defensively they are almost the perfect compliment. Griffin is a positional, man defender who can guard multiple positions. He was brilliant at trapping ball handlers at times last year and racking up steals. DJ is the rim enforcer who can clean up at the rim when guys get by Griffin. In theory they should be very malleable with a great defensive coach.

Clippersfan86
07-18-2013, 04:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tYT8EW_Gr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez3ItCup79I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbw0Ih_toRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFI44iCL7YY

Last year he impressed the hell out of me with his quickness trapping PNR.

Silent
07-19-2013, 03:26 AM
@WojYahooNBA: Free agent 7-footer Byron Mullens is nearing agreement on a two-year deal with the Clippers, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Fantastic bargain pickup as a backup.

What the hell you smoking

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 04:53 AM
I'm confused. Didn't he re-up with the Bobcats early in free agency?