PDA

View Full Version : Predicting the inevitable decline of a superstar

Chronz
07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Every player drops off at some point, some stars (like Wade) have already begun their descent, but when does the "Big Drop" occur? By that I mean, the year that a star is no longer even an All-Star caliber player...

Predict that point for the following superstars;

Wade:
CP3:
Deron:
Kobe:
Zach Randolph:
Duncan:
LeBron:
Dwight:
Blake:
Love:
Tony Parker:

Dont have to do them all, but how many prime years do you see these guys having?

SportsFanatic10
07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
i'm not gonna do them all, injuries factor to heavily into this. but i will boldly say that i think lebron will be a beast well into his 30s and end up being better then kobe has been late in his career.

Clippersfan86
07-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Every player drops off at some point, some stars (like Wade) have already begun their descent, but when does the "Big Drop" occur? By that I mean, the year that a star is no longer even an All-Star caliber player...

Wade:
CP3:
Deron:
Kobe:
Zach Randolph:
Duncan:
LeBron:
Dwight:
Blake:
Love:
Tony Parker:

Dont have to do them all, but how many prime years do you see these guys having?

I'm going to base it pretty much purely on where I think they will drop off based on their age/playstyle/work ethic/health.

Wade: 2 more years. He's 31 and will be nearly 32 by the start of the season. He's arguably the most injury prone player in the NBA and plays a style that I always felt would reduce his prime drastically. Although skilled I think he's more athletic/physically gifted than he is skilled.. so I don't expect a gradual decline. I think by 34 years old he will no longer be an all star.

Chris Paul: 6 more years. He's 28 and I expect his decline to be at 34 years old. His game used to based a lot on quickness but we've seen him slow down a lot already and he's still a top 5 player. He's substituted that quickness and first step with more dribble moves from what I've personally seen. I think he will start breaking down a bit around 34 with the injury problems. Still will be a quality starter but not an all star.

Deron: 7 more years. He's 29 and I expect his decline to be at 36 years old. I'm giving him a couple more years than CP3 because he's a lot tougher and less injury prone. Very high skill player who I think will age excellently.

Kobe: 1 more year. I think Kobe is going to be forced to retire in two years and won't be an all star ever again after this coming season. He's likely going to come back early and have to carry this team with big minutes again which I think will devastate his body. He will be 37 when he retires.

Zbo: 1 more year. Turns 32 tomorrow. Although he's not too injury prone and has a pure skill based game he is declining a bit and likely won't even be retained by the Grizzlies after next year. As it is.. he's only made the all star team twice.. I see him joining a bad team and never making an all star team again. Will play until 38.

Duncan: 0 more years. I should know better than to doubt Duncan and the Spurs but I just don't see another dominant season. He played until game 7 of the finals and I just don't think at 38 he can do it again, although if he does... I won't be completely shocked. I think he retires after this next season at 39 years old.

Lebron: 7 more years at all star level. I feel like although highly skilled, Lebron will be hit hard at the end like Kobe was last year. He's played more minutes than anybody in NBA history at this age and when his speed, strength and athleticism start going I expect a very rough struggle. He will be retire when he's 37.

Dwight: 4 more years at all star level. Dwight will be 28 at the beginning of the season and due to an almost entirely athletic based game, I see a steep decline at about 32 years old. Still a good player though until he retires at 37 years old.

Griffin: 8 more years at all star level. He just turned 24 two months ago so that would mean he's 32 when his athleticism starts declining sharply and his age starts catching up with him. I personally feel he will learn as he gets older to develop skills more than use athleticism. I see him retiring at 36 due to injury problems.

Love: 9 more years at the all star level. Skill based game and still young at 24 years old (25 in December). He already doesn't use a ton of athleticism so I see him having a very smooth decline. With his skillset I can easily see Love playing till 40 years old.

Parker: 3 more years at the all star level. He is 31 years old but due to a reckless style of play and the propensity to play at the rim and in the lane.. I see a sharp decline at 34 years old. He plays until he's 37.

Becks2307
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Cp3 has been declining for a while. Well more like plateauing. He wont be 08-09 CP3 cuz of the injuries.

But Deron 7 more years? Hell no, I cant see him being that good past 32

LAKobeBryant
07-15-2013, 06:14 PM
you forgot rose.

KnickaBocka.44
07-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Wade:
CP3:
Deron:
Kobe:
Zach Randolph:
Duncan:
LeBron:
Dwight:
Blake:
Love:
Tony Parker:

So, Love is still a "Superstar", and now Zach Randolph is a "Superstar" but Melo still isn't in your mind?

I'm hoping this was a mistake. If not, I've truly seen it all.

Clippersfan86
07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Cp3 has been declining for a while. Well more like plateauing. He wont be 08-09 CP3 cuz of the injuries.

But Deron 7 more years? Hell no, I cant see him being that good past 32

Was going to put 5 years at first but if you look at his game logs... he's pretty much been healthy every year. I'm listing years just as an all star, not a superstar.

Craptors84
07-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Id say Z BO, Kobe, Duncan got about 2 good years left in em. Everybody else is still relatively young. Im not sure about Wade tho.

nickdymez
07-15-2013, 06:26 PM
i'm not gonna do them all, injuries factor to heavily into this. but i will boldly say that i think lebron will be a beast well into his 30s and end up being better then kobe has been late in his career.

based on what?

OceanSpray
07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
I don't know how anyone can predict these sort of things, but James will not decline. He'll be older but he's already above all in terms of athleticism. He'll simply be human when he's older, right now he's a machine.

KnickaBocka.44
07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
I don't know how anyone can predict these sort of things, but James will not decline. He'll be older but he's already above all in terms of athleticism. He'll simply be human when he's older, right now he's a machine.

That would be declining.

SportsFanatic10
07-15-2013, 06:36 PM
based on what?

based on his size/durability and his continued improved shooting. also his great passing skills will always be with him and he'll always be able to bully his way into the paint. and if his athleticism really starts to go down, i think he could just play the 4 and bulk up a bit.

ThunderousDemon
07-15-2013, 06:36 PM

You contradicted yourself, all in the same post. :laugh2:

Guppyfighter
07-15-2013, 06:37 PM
So, Love is still a "Superstar", and now Zach Randolph is a "Superstar" but Melo still isn't in your mind?

To be fair, Kevin Love is better than Carmelo.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I will give it a shot, you have some pretty young guys on there:

Wade: 2 years
CP3: 4 years
Deron: 4 years
Kobe: not counting this season, 2 years
Zach Randolph: 3 years
Duncan: 1 year
LeBron: 7 years
Dwight: 6 years
Blake: 9 years
Love: 9 years
Tony Parker: 5 years

KnickaBocka.44
07-15-2013, 06:39 PM
To be fair, Kevin Love is better than Carmelo.

Not after breaking his hand twice and shooting 35% when he did play.

Guppyfighter
07-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Fair enough

Hawkeye15
07-15-2013, 06:43 PM

agreed. Love needs to show up and be the best PF in the game, like he was the previous season, to shut his critics up. Obviously if he could get a healthy team to help him get some wins, it validates it even more. But Love was better in 11-12', for sure.

Gibby23
07-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I will give it a shot, you have some pretty young guys on there:

Wade: 2 years
CP3: 4 years
Deron: 4 years
Kobe: not counting this season, 2 years
Zach Randolph: 3 years
LeBron: 7 years
Dwight: 6 years
Tony Parker: 5 years

Cool. SO Love will have 7 good years left with him when he comes to the Lakers.

Hawkeye15
07-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Cool. SO Love will have 7 good years left with him when he comes to the Lakers.

guess so......

KnickaBocka.44
07-15-2013, 06:50 PM
agreed. Love needs to show up and be the best PF in the game, like he was the previous season, to shut his critics up. Obviously if he could get a healthy team to help him get some wins, it validates it even more. But Love was better in 11-12', for sure.

100%. I would like to see Love come back and establish himself as the best PF in the game again...since Melo is probably going to move back to the 3 :D

OceanSpray
07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
You contradicted yourself, all in the same post. :laugh2:

Nope, James is a pretty much given example. When he declines, he'll just scoop to the level of other superstars. he's pretty much above everyone and has never been injured.

OceanSpray
07-15-2013, 06:54 PM
That would be declining.

True, but not to the point where everyone says he'll be useless. Aka, haters who think he'll turn to Scalabrine because he's losing "athleticism".

KnickaBocka.44
07-15-2013, 06:56 PM
True, but not to the point where everyone says he'll be useless. Aka, haters who think he'll turn to Scalabrine because he's losing "athleticism".

There aren't any "haters" that think that. Nobody thinks that.

Chronz
07-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Its because he has the kind of game you dont really see changing much, for awhile. He just had his best season last year, I dont think he should be discussed at this point.

KnickaBocka.44
07-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Its because he has the kind of game you dont really see changing much, for awhile. He just had his best season last year, I dont think he should be discussed at this point.

This was the only other answer that made any sense. Sorry, I should have known that you knew better. It's the trolls, man.

MinnesotaFtw
07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Wade: 1 year, this will be his last.
CP3: 6 years
Deron: 7 years
Kobe: 2 years, this year, and next
Zach Randolph: 1 year
LeBron:8 years
Dwight: 5 years
Tony Parker: 3 years

Chronz
07-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I think you guys are being very generous with CP3 but Im cynical

MrfadeawayJB
07-15-2013, 09:14 PM
ZBO has one more allstar caliber year but he should age well given his skill set.

All star is a bad barometer given that fans vote

Chronz
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
All star is a bad barometer given that fans vote
I said All-Star caliber, as in, regardless of subjective arguments (aka popularity), is the guy putting up All-Star level production or impact.

Just dont take it literally, we both know what a true All-Star looks like.

MTar786
07-15-2013, 09:48 PM
I think lebron is getting wayyy too much love on the years

I see it like this

Lebron has 5 more years at a great level. I think his last great season will be the season he turns 34 and I expect a big drop off from there. Similar to what wade is going their right now

Wade has this season and he's will show greater signs of declination than he is even now

If Kobe comes back well from this injury then I see him lasting 3 more seasons at a high level and then retiring before people can see him decline in a steep way. If he doesn't come back the same from this injury then I only see him lasting this upcoming season before we see a big decline.

Durant has another 10 years minimum lol

Melo has a good 5 years still too. If he can control his weight and stay healthy

Duncan has this season and I think midway thru this season he will already start displaying his big decline

Randolph has this season left also

I think Gasol will start showing this year. (Btw I feel his major decline started already in 2011)

Dwight already hit his peak and won't get any better. He will be considered on the decline soon. But I don't think it will truly be a decline. More like a reality check (over rated)

Dade County
07-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Wade:
CP3:
Deron:
Kobe:
Zach Randolph:
Duncan:
LeBron:
Dwight:
Blake:
Love:
Tony Parker:

Wade: 3yrs... I think his going back down to 215lbs
CP3: 6yrs
Deron: 3yrs
Kobe: 0
Zach Randolph: 1yr
Duncan: Last year was as good as he could play for his age
LeBron: 7yrs
Dwight: 6yrs
Blake: 10yrs
Love: 11yrs
Tony Parker: 1 & a half

BklynKnicks3
07-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Melo will be the best when in his mid 30s since he uses his athletisism the least

Max.This
07-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Melo will be the best when in his mid 30s since he uses his athletisism the least

thats true lol. Melo rarely ever dunks...

Yankeefan213
07-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Why are guys like Blake, love and Randolph on this list but not melo, Durant and Westbrook and rose?

Greet
07-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Why are guys like Blake, love and Randolph on this list but not melo, Durant and Westbrook and rose?

He didn't say "This is every star in the NBA." Those are just the ones the OP picked, lol.

sammyvine
07-16-2013, 03:16 PM

Why is Jordan brand logo in the miami heat lol?

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Wade: 1 more year I doubt he'll be a top 5 sg in 2 years
CP3: 5-6 more years depends on his knees
Deron: 3-4 more years
Kobe: as long as he plays don't let this year fool you, but Kobe is the MJ of the modern era an all-star until he retired only better at that stage of their careers in terms of minutes played
Zach Randolph: 2 years
Duncan: I think 1 more year he was a role player for about 3 years then he rejuvenated again but I say this next year will be his last solid one
LeBron: 5-6 more years depending on when his athleticism goes away but only 1-2 years left as being the best in the nba
Dwight: 4 more years he's an athletic freak who will be average once his athleticism is gone
Blake: 10 more years he's very young
Love: 7-8 years the man is very good all around need help defensively though
Tony Parker: 2 more years

LoveMeOrHateMe
07-16-2013, 03:49 PM
guess so......

Even you have to admit that it's gonna happen hawkeye, love is a Cali boy the lakers will have cap space and if the wolves don't improve good bye love!

JasonJohnHorn
07-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Wade:
CP3:
Deron:
Kobe:
Zach Randolph:
Duncan:
LeBron:
Dwight:
Blake:
Love:
Tony Parker

Except for LBJ, Blake and Love, and likely Dwight, I'd say all of their best years a behind them already. When will they no longer be All-Stars? Parker, Duncan and Z-Bo will all struggle to make the team this year. Love and Blake both likely have 10 years of ASG ahead of them barring injury. Dwight has at least another half a dozen years... Kobe will be in the ASG as long as he decides to play, just because he will be voted in. He is that popular. Derron already missed the team this past season (though I expect him to make a few more). CP3 will be on them the next 4 years at least, but PGs like him can have rapid drops in production... look at Zeke.

LBJ I think has another 7 or 8 ASG at least.

ASG are a hard gauge though. You get guys like KG who made the team this year despite the fact that guys like Josh Smith were perhaps more deserving.

Hawkeye15
07-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Even you have to admit that it's gonna happen hawkeye, love is a Cali boy the lakers will have cap space and if the wolves don't improve good bye love!

meh, I am never surprised at athletes. If it happens, so be it.

Chronz
07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Why do New Yorkers keep asking this?

Chronz
07-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Except for LBJ, Blake and Love, and likely Dwight, I'd say all of their best years a behind them already. When will they no longer be All-Stars? Parker, Duncan and Z-Bo will all struggle to make the team this year. Love and Blake both likely have 10 years of ASG ahead of them barring injury. Dwight has at least another half a dozen years... Kobe will be in the ASG as long as he decides to play, just because he will be voted in. He is that popular. Derron already missed the team this past season (though I expect him to make a few more). CP3 will be on them the next 4 years at least, but PGs like him can have rapid drops in production... look at Zeke.

LBJ I think has another 7 or 8 ASG at least.

ASG are a hard gauge though. You get guys like KG who made the team this year despite the fact that guys like Josh Smith were perhaps more deserving.

You can be an All-Star without making the team. Problem solved.