PDA

View Full Version : Oden to meet with Mavs, Kings, Pelicans (Cavs off list now)

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
These teams join the Spurs and Heat on his list. He's basically going on a "fact-finding" mission according to Brian Windhorst.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9478509/dallas-mavericks-new-orleans-pelicans-sacramento-kings-meet-greg-oden-sources-say

Free-agent center Greg Oden will be in Las Vegas this week for face-to-face meetings with officials from the Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings and New Orleans Pelicans, according to sources with knowledge of Oden's plans.

The sitdown with Mavericks officials, sources said, is scheduled for later Monday, as Dallas pushes to join the San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat at the forefront of the race to resurrect the career of 2007's No. 1 overall pick.

Oden, 25, has battled numerous knee injuries and hasn't played in an NBA game since Dec. 5, 2009. He is coming off his third microfracture knee surgery in February 2012.

He was the top overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft out of Ohio State, chosen by the Portland Trail Blazers one spot ahead of Kevin Durant.

ESPN.com reported last week that the Cleveland Cavaliers' signing of Andrew Bynum removed the Cavs from the list of contenders for his services. San Antonio and Miami are widely regarded as the two favorites, but Dallas continues to pursue Oden with intent while also negotiating with Milwaukee Bucks free-agent big man Samuel Dalembert.

Heat president Pat Riley recently told local reporters that he's had an extended exchange with Oden already.

Slug3
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Wants a chance for a ring means he will end up with Heat or Spurs. Wants money then will go to the highest bidder of those 3.

diu9leilomo
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
A ring probably means nothing at this stage of his career UNLESS he becomes a impact player.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2013, 01:10 PM
If he went to the Pelicans and played a healthy 15-20 minutes a game, they're team is dangerous in the future.

He would actually be the oldest player (at 25) among Jrue, Gordon, Tyreke, Anderson, Davis!!

They would have 3 very offensively talented guards (and Rivers if he shows up this off-season) along with 4 defensive minded bigs (Davis, Oden, Stiesma (sp), Withey). Add in a Jason Smith, Al-Faroq, and young Brian Roberts and you've got yourself a team on the rise.

Go for it NOLA, sign him to the mini-MLE.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2013, 01:10 PM
A ring probably means nothing at this stage of his career UNLESS he becomes a impact player.

exactly. He should think about actually having an NBA career before chasing rings.

True Sports Fan
07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Uh, why would the Kings be interested in him? We have Cousins, Thompson, Patterson, Landry, Hayes. Just don't really see where he fits.

Cousins/Oden & Landry/Thompson & Patterson/Hayes? Probably means we are looking to move Thompson, Patterson or Hayes.

Lo Porto
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Just go to Miami already Oden.

NYY 26 to 7
07-15-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm on the edge of my seat - who will get the rights to pay Oden to not play this year!

SportsFanatic10
07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
i think he'll sign with miami. them and the spurs are supposed to be the favorites, and the heat still have their mid level exception while the spurs can only offer the vet min. the heat can offer him a regular rotation role, lots of exposure, and a chance at the title. also they can afford to bring him along slowly and hope to have him in peak condition for the playoffs. if he goes elsewhere i wish him luck, but i really think that miami is the perfect fit and situation for him.

Vinny642
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Miami resigned Birdman....

But I do hope we get him tho

THE MTL
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Lets see if the Mavs can sign him lol. And yeah, if I was Oden I would go for the most money. He hasnt made any real money in his "NBA career" (if u call it that), so he might as well make a few more million while he can.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Lets see if the Mavs can sign him lol. And yeah, if I was Oden I would go for the most money. He hasnt made any real money in his "NBA career" (if u call it that), so he might as well make a few more million while he can.

He has already made $23 million off previous contracts. Pretty sure that counts as "real money"

chitownredbulls
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Uh, why would the Kings be interested in him? We have Cousins, Thompson, Patterson, Landry, Hayes. Just don't really see where he fits.

Cousins/Oden & Landry/Thompson & Patterson/Hayes? Probably means we are looking to move Thompson, Patterson or Hayes.
Cause if they get him for cheap then they can trade thompson, who is their best trade chip, for a small forward

SportsFanatic10
07-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Miami resigned Birdman....

But I do hope we get him tho

there would be enough minutes for bird and oden...

but ya, if the pelicans did get him you guys would have an even more amazing young core (assuming he can get his career somewhat back on track of course).

Vinny642
07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
there would be enough minutes for bird and oden...

but ya, if the pelicans did get him you guys would have an even more amazing young core (assuming he can get his career somewhat back on track of course).

A healthy Oden next to Davis.... WOW

TrueFan420
07-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Just go to Miami already Oden.

He should be going to the suns and that medical staff of theirs.

mrblisterdundee
07-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I'd be interested in the Blazers signing him for a small contract. Why not give the guy a chance to come back and make a new name for himself? It's not like Kevin Durant's still on the draft board.

SportsFanatic10
07-16-2013, 07:10 PM
heat re-open talks with oden's agent. with millers tax relief it looks like this is pats plan. hope he pulls it off.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/16/report-heat-resume-talks-with-greg-oden/

beasted86
07-16-2013, 08:27 PM
heat re-open talks with oden's agent. with millers tax relief it looks like this is pats plan. hope he pulls it off.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/16/report-heat-resume-talks-with-greg-oden/

If Oden signs with a team other than the HEAT or Spurs he is stupid. Him spending a one or two year deal with a non-playoff team like the Kings or Pelicans where he might even be coming off the bench is basically career suicide.

HEAT offer a huge national spotlight, have a strong need for a Center, take a lot of pressure off of him have to do too much, and could possibly offer him a championship ring, so he can truly spend the rest of his career chasing more cash if that's what he wants to do.

Spurs offer another team who will have a decent spotlight, have a future HOF big man in Duncan who can teach him loads and loads of new tricks, have a great system that can take a lot of pressure off of him and will make him likely look his best, and have a good chance to make the Finals again. They also will have the cap space in 2014 to sign him to a long term deal if he does play well.

DR_1
07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Why is this guy getting so much attention? He doesn't seem like a bad dude but even Andrew Bynum is less injury-prone than he is.

MikefromMars
07-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Duncan can teach him how to stay healthy... No big man has heald up as well in today's NBA as TD21. Also, San Antonio tends to stay out of the spotlight so the pressure wouldn't be there.

NBA-GMaster
07-17-2013, 10:43 AM
cross out Sacramento, they already have Cousins, Landry, Patterson, Hayes and Thompson..
Its up to HEAT, Spurs, Mavs and Pelicans..

a)Miami:Oden-Bosh-James-Wade-Chalmers

b)San Antonio:Oden-Duncan-Leonard-Green-Parker

c)Dallas:Oden-Nowitzki-Marion-Ellis-Calderon

d)Pelicans:Oden-Davis-Evans-Gordon-Holiday

Still have Dalembert, Mullens and Mozgov as consolaton price to non-chosen Oden team..

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-17-2013, 10:48 AM
As a Kings fan, I really want them to take a chance on Oden.

I know the odds are low that he will come here, but I think he would be an excellent fit next to Cousins, despite the fact that they have a lot of marginal big men.

Oden would only be playing 20 minutes a night max anyway.

The guy is fragile as hell, but his talent is off the charts.

In the limited time he has played, he has been an absolute stud, particularly on the defensive end.

I want him, but I see him signing with Dallas, Miami, or New Orleans.

I think Dallas ends up getting him in the end.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
If Oden signs with a team other than the HEAT or Spurs he is stupid. Him spending a one or two year deal with a non-playoff team like the Kings or Pelicans where he might even be coming off the bench is basically career suicide.

HEAT offer a huge national spotlight, have a strong need for a Center, take a lot of pressure off of him have to do too much, and could possibly offer him a championship ring, so he can truly spend the rest of his career chasing more cash if that's what he wants to do.

Spurs offer another team who will have a decent spotlight, have a future HOF big man in Duncan who can teach him loads and loads of new tricks, have a great system that can take a lot of pressure off of him and will make him likely look his best, and have a good chance to make the Finals again. They also will have the cap space in 2014 to sign him to a long term deal if he does play well.

Lol career suicide?

You have to actually have a career for it to be suicide.

Right now, his main focus is probably just playing some professional basketball in the NBA, staying healthy, and playing somewhere he feels comfortable so he can actually start his career.

That doesn't have to be for a championship team necessarily.

I see Dallas as the best fit all things considered.

Max.This
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
If i was oden I'd be looking to make as much money as i possibly can. Who knows how long those knees will hold up, its almost stupid if he goes to a contender to win but get less money. What the hell does a championship ring do you if you don't have any money in the bank. Now its a different story if a contender is paying him relatively the same amount, but odds are teams with cap space will be paying a lot more.

Max.This
07-17-2013, 11:05 AM

and what if he gets injured while playing in a contender for close to a vet minimum? 1. He's done as far as basketball career and 2. He'd only get paid the bare minimum. If you were Greg oden and you had a career so far that was filled with injury wouldnt you want to make the most money you can make not knowing if your knees can hold up. If he can even pry 1-2 more mil off another team like the Pelicans who have a very good team then why would he go to the HEAT. The heat are a fast breaking running team. This dude would die running the floor

FOBolous
07-17-2013, 11:19 AM
why is anyone even interested in Oden? He's unproven, isn't as young anymore, and has yet to play a single game in the league.

SINCESTARBURY25
07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Oden goes to Miami becomes starting center force in the NBA heals and averages 12-15 ppg that would be a crazy headline.

ATX
07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
why is anyone even interested in Oden? He's unproven, isn't as young anymore, and has yet to play a single game in the league.

Since when is 25 years old?

He's played games in the NBA. Not sure what your talking about here? Hasn't played an NBA in 3 years? Yes...A single game in the league? No.