PDA

View Full Version : Rockets hiring Hakeem?

clutchfan
07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
@BenDuBose: Stephen A. Smith says the Rockets are "on the verge" of formally hiring Hakeem Olajuwon. Didn't say what official role would be. Hmm.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket...to-team-staff/

Having awoken to find that their signing of Dwight Howard was not all a dream, the Rockets were close Sunday to bringing The Dream back to the organization.

Hakeem Olajuwon, a key part of the Rockets’ recruiting efforts to land Howard and a large part of the festivities on Saturday after Howard signed, will rejoin the Rockets in an official capacity for the first time since he spent the final season of his career with the Toronto Raptors.

Olajuwon’s duties and title are still being discussed and he will continue to spend much of the year at his home in Jordan. But he will work with the Rockets interior players, as he does with big men around the NBA each off season, as a team employee.

“We are going to bring him in as full time as is possible,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said on Sunday. “It’s not done, but we have mutual interest to get it done and we’ve have some early discussions. We want him to work with Dwight and Omer (Asik) and he wants to do that.”

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Well he's been helping out big guys for years. Houston has potentially the most dominating center now, and has two resources if they hire Hakeem that both rank in the top 5 all time (if not 3) for low post offensive smarts/moves.

ManningToTyree
07-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Hakeem has been making more money doing private workouts for years than he ever would as an assistant coach. I wonder what his role will be?

Sly Guy
07-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Hakeem has been making more money doing private workouts for years than he ever would as an assistant coach. I wonder what his role will be?

and rather unsuccessfully helping out big men, I might add.

goku
07-14-2013, 02:34 PM

well you really cant teach some of the stuff dream did I don't think many big man duplicate his moves its easier for wing players to learn from him ala kobe,lebron

lakerfan85
07-14-2013, 02:52 PM
They should pay him a ton of money for the way they disrespected him at the end of his career..

lakers4sho
07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I feel sorry for Hakeem.

SMH!
07-14-2013, 03:13 PM

and thats his fault? He teaches them, and if they cant pick it up, thats on them, watch the workouts, seem pretty good to me.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I feel sorry for Hakeem.

Why? Mutual interest seems to be consensus. Only difference of opinion is how "full-time" the position should be.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9478778/houston-rockets-eying-hakeem-olajuwon-centers-mentor

slashsnake
07-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe I am a little negative on this because I see Javale McGee play 82 games a season in Denver here, but are Hakeem's teachings skills just a bit overrated? :eyebrow:

He supposedly spent a lot of time with McGee, and all he got out of it is a sweeping hook shot that looks like something Steve Erkel would throw up during an epileptic seizure and is lucky if it hits the backboard. He also worked with Faried who was and still is a 2 pt a game player if he had to rely on his post moves only. Seriously, the Nuggets best post-player was a 35 year old 6 foot tall guard with the elevation of an elephant.

And he taught Dwight Howard how to "diversify his post moves". It still looks like trying to jump higher than your opponent, palm the ball and fling it with no arc in the direction of the basket. Throw in Amare Stoudemire, who I don't think has ever turned his back to the basket..

Is it me, or would going to the "Shaquille O'Neal free throw basketball camp with accuracy coach Ben Wallace, and form coach Chris Dudley" be a better use of their time?

Maybe I just really want to see a 7 footer pull off a dream shake one more time. Just once. Work on that sh** for 14 straight weeks with someone in Houston and let them do it just once. Then all would be forgiven.

metsrock229
07-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Stat seemed to pick up a lot from Hakeem :shrug:

Verbal Christ
07-15-2013, 10:01 PM
you can lead a horse to water... Dream can only do so much, I mean Javale McGee? LOL for real? You want Dream to teach that guy how to play like he did? Thats funny. I would imagine his 'teachings' would have to begin with a little more solid foundation than Javale McGee. Kobe and Lebron seemed to use his post tutelage to their benefits, Dwight will never be able to duplicate what Dream did either, not to say he cant learn a trick or two. This will be so much better than when the ROX hired Patrick Ewing to 'mentor' Yao, uggghh that was nauseating to watch.

sep11ie
07-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Remember guys, the Rockets can do no right. Morey is overrated, Harden is a chucker, Lin is the worst PG ever, Asik has a bad contract, The Dream can't coach, Dwight is going to fail in Houston....

JerseyPalahniuk
07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Maybe I am a little negative on this because I see Javale McGee play 82 games a season in Denver here, but are Hakeem's teachings skills just a bit overrated? :eyebrow:

He supposedly spent a lot of time with McGee, and all he got out of it is a sweeping hook shot that looks like something Steve Erkel would throw up during an epileptic seizure and is lucky if it hits the backboard. He also worked with Faried who was and still is a 2 pt a game player if he had to rely on his post moves only. Seriously, the Nuggets best post-player was a 35 year old 6 foot tall guard with the elevation of an elephant.

And he taught Dwight Howard how to "diversify his post moves". It still looks like trying to jump higher than your opponent, palm the ball and fling it with no arc in the direction of the basket. Throw in Amare Stoudemire, who I don't think has ever turned his back to the basket..

Is it me, or would going to the "Shaquille O'Neal free throw basketball camp with accuracy coach Ben Wallace, and form coach Chris Dudley" be a better use of their time?

Maybe I just really want to see a 7 footer pull off a dream shake one more time. Just once. Work on that sh** for 14 straight weeks with someone in Houston and let them do it just once. Then all would be forgiven.

A teacher can only teach so much. The pupil has to have the motivation to practice enough that he can teach others.

Meaze_Gibson
07-15-2013, 10:49 PM

See I hate when people rattle off bs and put it out like truth. When dwight worked with hakeem in summer 2010, everyone visibly saw how it carried on into the season. That was his career high season in points and also playoff average high in points. Visibly, if you saw him that year, offensively, he looked comfortable and at times dominant. His work with hkeem just in that summer should lead many to believe if he worked with year round it would be a huge advantage.

LeperMessiah
07-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Errrbody seems to be hiring Hakeem!

AWC713
07-15-2013, 11:33 PM
They should pay him a ton of money for the way they disrespected him at the end of his career..

lol wut? arguably no city loves and adores their former players like houston...

so he went to toronto for a year to end his career. mj did the same. so did ewing. thats ego vs. realism....we never disrepected hakeem, and he would atest to this

FOBolous
07-15-2013, 11:34 PM
LeBron and Carmelo learned their post skills with Hakeem. Just sayin' the teacher is only half the equation.