PDA

View Full Version : Does Detroit have the best rebounding team in the league?

VicTheWizard
07-14-2013, 02:19 AM
I know that some of you think that Josh Smith is a bad fit in Detroit and think its gonna be a total trainwreck, but still I dont see any teams that can compete with them on the boards, I know that rebounding doesnt win, and they still need guard help, but I think they will at least dominate the boards next season over anyone.

5ass
07-14-2013, 02:51 AM
possibly.

tredigs
07-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Probably about even with Lee/Bogut/O'neal. Drummond's the best rebounder of them but he'll still probably stick to 20 minutes a game with Smoove there.

Asik and Howard are definitely better there at the 5, but nothing at the 4 to board. McGee/Faried/Koufus wasn't far behind.

tredigs
07-14-2013, 03:00 AM
Plus Pek / Love when they're out there.

DJiC
07-14-2013, 03:14 AM
gasol and randolph anyone

AI
07-14-2013, 03:20 AM
I'll go with Indiana.

sunsfan88
07-14-2013, 04:17 AM
Not just the best rebounding team, they have the best front court in the NBA imo.

If the Pisons keep them intact, then Smith-Monroe-Drummond will be the most feared front court since way back when the Odom-Pau-Bynum front court kept opposing teams from sleeping at night.

RiceOnTheRun
07-14-2013, 05:40 AM
In 1-2 years, without a doubt the most fearsome frontcourt in the NBA. This also hinges on the development of their chemistry. Whether or not they can find enough touches to keep all these guys happy. I still think they need to surround themselves with some more shooters to spread the floor for these guys. Rondo would be the perfect fit at PG imo. Not a great shooter, but he's capable of making midrange shots when he needs to. Plus he's a proven floor general and he's worked with two of the greatest forwards in the NBA. He has the quickness to take advantage of the inevitable screens Monroe and Drummond will set.

FOBolous
07-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Dwight and Asik :D

krisxsong
07-14-2013, 06:41 AM
In 1-2 years, without a doubt the most fearsome frontcourt in the NBA. This also hinges on the development of their chemistry. Whether or not they can find enough touches to keep all these guys happy. I still think they need to surround themselves with some more shooters to spread the floor for these guys. Rondo would be the perfect fit at PG imo. Not a great shooter, but he's capable of making midrange shots when he needs to. Plus he's a proven floor general and he's worked with two of the greatest forwards in the NBA. He has the quickness to take advantage of the inevitable screens Monroe and Drummond will set.

Really? I didn't know you could see into the future.

For all you know Josh Smith never stops trying to be like JR Smith, Drummond never develops an offensive game and Monroe never develops a defensive game.

krisxsong
07-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Best rebounding team? No I don't think so. Best rebounding front court? Maybe, it's possible.

Your starting front court is not your entire team. You have both starting guards and of course the bench.

Gators123
07-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Probably about even with Lee/Bogut/O'neal. Drummond's the best rebounder of them but he'll still probably stick to 20 minutes a game with Smoove there.

Asik and Howard are definitely better there at the 5, but nothing at the 4 to board. McGee/Faried/Koufus wasn't far behind.

I think he will get 26-28MPG.

TheThrill
07-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Billups coming back will be a big help.

JNA17
07-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Depends how many minutes Drummand plays. He should be starting but he might still only play 20-25 min a game.

dee279
07-14-2013, 08:40 AM
I think so. Not only do they have some good rebounders on that team, Smoove/Drummond/Monroe will force alot of missed shots and block alot of shots so alot of rebounds will be there for the taking. They also have a bigger PG in Knight. I dont know who starts at SG for them though. Maybe the rookie. He is a formidable rebounder for his position so he could also contribute in that.

IndyRealist
07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Rebounds have diminishing returns. There's only so much "rebounding real estate" and your entire frontcourt crashing the boards at the same time also concentrates the opposing team around the basket.

ManRam
07-14-2013, 09:15 AM
i can't quite assume so considering how they weren't even a top 15 rebounding team last season. drummond actually playing and smith coming to town obviously could vault them near the top. but i'll take the safe odds and say "no"...but they'll be close.

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Rebounds have diminishing returns. There's only so much "rebounding real estate" and your entire frontcourt crashing the boards at the same time also concentrates the opposing team around the basket.

Right. Spacing is an issue on offense, and you can't play 4 bigs at the same time.

Pistons need to move a big - probably Monroe for a PG to balance the team. I think Billups is a HOF'er but he's a 20 MPG game player now, and might end up being a combo guard.

RipCity32
07-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Right. Spacing is an issue on offense, and you can't play 4 bigs at the same time.

Pistons need to move a big - probably Monroe for a PG to balance the team. I think Billups is a HOF'er but he's a 20 MPG game player now, and might end up being a combo guard.

I agree,As much as I would hate to see Monroe go.We need to fill out either at SF or PG and also get Smith to the 4 up front with Drummond for a block party.Monroe could land us something good at the 1 or 3 like a Rondo or Batum type of player.

Hawkeye15
07-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Indiana probably.

unleashthebeast
07-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Well I mean when you play 3 bigs at once I guess you will be able to rebound a little better than other teams :p

mark1125
07-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Could all be a moot point. I for one do not see Drummond/Monroe/Smith staying intact.

If Pistons do what they should, they keep Drummond, slide Smith to PF, and deal Monroe for a good SF or PG. I think that is where this is headed.

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
I agree,As much as I would hate to see Monroe go.We need to fill out either at SF or PG and also get Smith to the 4 up front with Drummond for a block party.Monroe could land us something good at the 1 or 3 like a Rondo or Batum type of player.

I'm all for a Rondo deal.

Rondo for Stuckey and Monroe. If Rondo misses too many games the next two years due to his knee (say less than 110 games combined played) then the Celts owe the Pistons a 1st rounder (2018, bottom 6 protected).

Tony_Starks
07-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I'd go with Hibbert/ West or ZBo/ Gasol over Detroits bigs right now. It remains to be seen how their going to utilize J Smoove...

Bookey
07-14-2013, 12:49 PM
I'll take Noah/Boozer/Gibson/Deng when healthy

slashsnake
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
They were 1 rebound over average last season (NBA average was 3453 rebounds, they had 3454). But rebounding is so dependant on so many other things. A team that runs a lot will automatically get more rebounds because they and their opponent shoot more. Nuggets were 2nd in the league in rebounding last season. A great interior defender can improve rebounding by forcing a lower shooting % from the opponents. Likewise if a team makes a high percentage of their shots, that affects their rebounding numbers (less offensive boards to get).

I would say, while not perfect, rebounding edge (more rebounds than opponent) is a better number. Again Detroit was barely above average (lowest ranked team with a favorable rebounding edge). Houston who just got Dwight Howard had a better rebounding edge last season, and I would say I don't see Detroit passing Indiana in that respect either.

While they get Josh Smith, I don't know if you will see a lot of him, Monroe, and Drummond on the court at the same time. That would be tough in terms of matchups and outside shooting.

Throw in that Josh Smith isn't an elite rebounder. His 8.6 boards per 36 minutes put him right there with guys like Lamarcus Aldridge, Nene, and Earl Clark. Better than Tayshaun, by about 3.6 boards last year.

If they were a good rebounding team already, sure. But there is a chance. Monroe and Drummond are both very young. They could continue to improve in that respect and with Josh become a top rebounding team.

TheNumber37
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
There's 0 way to tell. Part of the rebounding is offensive, which is missed shots they get back. Maybe they don't rebound because they shoot a high percentage.

You can ask if they have the best REBOUNDERS in the league, but there's really no way to tell. I look at the Wolves, Rockets, Pacers and Bulls as superior rebounding teams

RipCity32
07-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Who knows until we see how they play in the regular season.I think we should have a shot though for sure especially with Drummond starting now.Drummond and Monroe should be able to grab 10rpg each.

KnickaBocka.44
07-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Worst shooting team of all time.

alexander_37
07-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Dwight and Asik are probably 2 of the 3 best rebounders in the league. Also Beverly had the highest rebounding rate of PG's.

Chronz
07-14-2013, 01:44 PM
They were 1 rebound over average last season (NBA average was 3453 rebounds, they had 3454). But rebounding is so dependant on so many other things. A team that runs a lot will automatically get more rebounds because they and their opponent shoot more.

This is why you ignore rebounding average and focus on rebounding efficiency.

Also, people need to stop generalizing rebounds, and instead treat defensive rebounding and offensive rebounding as completely separate aspects of the game.

Chronz
07-14-2013, 01:47 PM
There's 0 way to tell.
I dont think thats accurate, teams can and have projected rebounding. I dont know how accurate they are but to say there is 0 way to tell would mean its not even worth their effort, which is clearly not the case.

Part of the rebounding is offensive, which is missed shots they get back. Maybe they don't rebound because they shoot a high percentage.
Thats why you focus on AVAILABLE rebounds. Not just rebounds. Its what statisticians do to account for that variable.

You can ask if they have the best REBOUNDERS in the league, but there's really no way to tell. I look at the Wolves, Rockets, Pacers and Bulls as superior rebounding teams
Offense and defensive rebounding are separate skills and should be treated as such.

mark1125
07-14-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm all for a Rondo deal.

Rondo for Stuckey and Monroe. If Rondo misses too many games the next two years due to his knee (say less than 110 games combined played) then the Celts owe the Pistons a 1st rounder (2018, bottom 6 protected).

I think that deal makes a lot of sense for both parties.

rocket
07-14-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm not giving anymore than Monroe for Rondo if I'm Joe D.

Honestly don't even want Rondo. Wouldn't be upset if we got him tho.

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm not giving anymore than Monroe for Rondo if I'm Joe D.

Honestly don't even want Rondo. Wouldn't be upset if we got him tho.

Fine w/ me. I included Stuckey as a salary favor to the Pistons. Trade machine says it works, be my guest and keep Stuckey... :laugh2:

rocket
07-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Fine w/ me. I included Stuckey as a salary favor to the Pistons. Trade machine says it works, be my guest and keep Stuckey... :laugh2:

Lol we need someone on the bench who can put up points.

RiceOnTheRun
07-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Really? I didn't know you could see into the future.

For all you know Josh Smith never stops trying to be like JR Smith, Drummond never develops an offensive game and Monroe never develops a defensive game.

That's why I said it hinges on how Josh Smith gets along with Monroe and Drummond. If he can fit in with them, they would easily be the best front court in the NBA. Even if Drummond doesn't develop a killer offensive game. Who else would be better? Lebron/Bosh would probably be up there, but without a solid big, Detroit would have the edge. Memphis and Indy would be the only two teams that would be able to stop them. Memphis seems like they're a bit closer to their ceiling and while Indy has two great guys in Hibbert and George, DWest is already 30 and probably won't improve much over the next few years.

koreancabbage
07-14-2013, 03:58 PM
I would say Asik and Howard could possibly be the best rebounding front court.

combined with Harden, Terrences Jones, and heck even Lin (3 per)

Rockets are a good rebounding team with Howard and Asik gobbling up those boards.

FOXHOUND
07-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm going to stick with Indiana, being that they were by far the best rebounding team last season. They led the NBA with a rebounding differential of +5.0. The second highest team, Memphis, had +3.6. In the postseason their rebounding differential ballooned to +9.1, which is just unreal. Second highest in postseason play was Golden State at +4.1.

smiddy012
07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah Indy is hard to argue against.

I would make an argument for the Bulls however. Butler, Deng, Booz, & Noah are all elite for their position when it comes to rebounding, and Rose isn't far off either. So if we're looking at just the starting 5 Chicago seems to have a decent case.

topdog
07-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Indiana probably.

The stats from the last 2 years would seem to back that up.

As far as the OP goes, Drummond is a beast of a rebounder, but there are plenty of teams with strong rebounding frontcourts like Memphis and Minnesota (Smith's rebounding is barely better than Derrick Williams).

MrfadeawayJB
07-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Grizz have been a top rebounding team for a few years now

THE MTL
07-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Only reason that team will be the best rebounding team is because they'll be so many bricks from that front court. I just think Josh Smith was the wrong move for the pistons, it is a very similar signing to Ben Gordon. He isnt a leader and stunts the growth of your front court.

Now, if the Pistons manage to get Rajan Rondo then that changes everything.