PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Shopping Humphries and Wallace

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/blakely-cs-look-deal-wallace-humphries

What can Boston expect to get for those guys?

black1605
07-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Humphries is serviceable, and expiring, so I would think there will be a market for him.

As much as I love Gerald, with three years left on his contract, I have no idea who would want to take him on at this point.

hugepatsfan
07-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Nothing for Wallace. I actually think he has the worst contract in the NBA. BOS isn't a hot FA destination though so it doesn't hurt us too bad. Worth taking back for the picks we get and also the improvement in our own selections from trading away our stars.

Humphries is a movable contract though. I'd be surprised if Danny can't find a deal for him. Might result in BOS taking on a longer term contract though.

RLundi
07-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Who on earth would want Gerald Wallace? He has virtually no game outside of his athleticism and now that that's pretty much shot, he is essentially worthless with a huge contract.

Pass.

ManRam
07-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Wallace is untradable. One of the 3 worst contracts right now.

Not sure what Humph could bring back right now. To get anything worthwhile for him they'd probably have to take on a bad and longer contract. Maybe the C's run him out there early this season and let him produce then pawn him off to a contender for something.

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 11:07 AM
As much as I love Gerald, with three years left on his contract, I have no idea who would want to take him on at this point.

I looked through the league at teams who could use/pay Wallace, and the only team I see as a viable option is Miami. The Heat could trade Mike Miller, James Jones and Rashard Lewis for Wallace straight up.

Why for Boston: shedding $4 million for 2014-15 and $10 million in 2015-16 would make it worth it to dump Wallace. I would see them waiving Lewis and buying out Miller. They could probably keep James Jones who isn't that bad especially for his contract.

Why for Miami: If Miami loses Battier to retirement, they need a SF/PF defender for their bench. Money isn't an issue down there so Wallace's contract doesn't hurt that badly. And if Boston just buys out or waives Mike Miller, I'm sure Miller would go back to Miami.

Sportfan
07-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I looked through the league at teams who could use/pay Wallace, and the only team I see as a viable option is Miami. The Heat could trade Mike Miller, James Jones and Rashard Lewis for Wallace straight up.

Why for Boston: shedding $4 million for 2014-15 and $10 million in 2015-16 would make it worth it to dump Wallace. I would see them waiving Lewis and buying out Miller. They could probably keep James Jones who isn't that bad especially for his contract.

Why for Miami: If Miami loses Battier to retirement, they need a SF/PF defender for their bench. Money isn't an issue down there so Wallace's contract doesn't hurt that badly. And if Boston just buys out or waives Mike Miller, I'm sure Miller would go back to Miami.

No way Boston helps Miami in the least.

Another tibit from the CBA

s I understand the collective bargaining agreement (based on what I've read from Larry Coon, ESPN's cap expert), one designation prohibits over-the-salary-cap teams (like Boston) from acquiring a player via trade, then re-trading him in combination with another player for two months. So any trade of Wallace or Humphries could not include any other Celtics players, at least until Sept. 12.
So Wallace can't be packaged with anyone else making it unlikely he moves. I prefer that anyway, as I'm sure he'll play better this upcoming year. I can def see Hump going somewhere.

nycericanguy
07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
If I'm the KNicks I'd take Wallace, and Lee's bad contract, packaged with Rondo, for Amare & Shump. Throw in Bass's deal as well if BOS wants to get rid of it.

Celtics clear $16m+ in 2015 with that deal.

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Wallace is still a good player. He is a guy built for an up and down style of play that has played in the 2 slowest offenses in the NBA the past 3 seasons. It should come as no surprise his numbers have taken a big dip. He cannot shoot he never has been able so to put him in a half court offense is ridiculous. A team that likes to push the pace will be pleasantly surprised by Wallace he has alot left in the tank. He would fit in nicely on a team like DEN or Minny

Deception
07-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Stuckey, Knight, and Jerebko for Wallace and Rondo

GiantsSwaGG
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
If I'm the KNicks I'd take Wallace, and Lee's bad contract, packaged with Rondo, for Amare & Shump. Throw in Bass's deal as well if BOS wants to get rid of it.

Lets help their cap and mess up ours

Sportfan
07-13-2013, 11:24 AM

lol. monroe/drummond or bust

nycericanguy
07-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Adding Rondo is worth taking on $16m in 2015.

Max.This
07-13-2013, 11:25 AM
lol. monroe/drummond or bust

you add rondo to that team, and their development goes skyrocket. They are instant contenders for the East with rondo, smith, monroe, drummond.

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 11:25 AM

At this point the Knicks shouldn't even be concerned about their cap. Their window is right now.

hugepatsfan
07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Interesting proposal but not sure I like it for BOS. BOS isn't a FA hot spot so I don't want to use Rondo as a chip to get other teams to take on bad contract. I'd rather trade him for a bigger package of young talent and deal with the bad contracts. If BOS had any power on the FA market I'd be inclined to accept your offer however.

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Wallace for Miller, Jones and Lewis: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q4xtxnu
Why for Boston: they shed $4 million for 2014-15 and $10 for 2015-16. Don't understand why Boston wouldn't do this.

Amare for Wallace and Lee: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p8dqxua
Why for Boston: they spend more this year and next, but they shed $16 million for 2015-16
Like somebody else mentioned, this trade could not be completed until September 12 due to league rules.

hugepatsfan
07-13-2013, 11:27 AM
you add rondo to that team, and their development goes skyrocket. They are instant contenders for the East with rondo, smith, monroe, drummond.

BOS isn't trading Rondo to DET without Drummond or Monroe back. And DET isn't dealing Drummond so basically it's Monroe coming back to BOS or no deal.

Sportfan
07-13-2013, 11:27 AM

exactly, more reason for Boston not to take the deal. Celtics need to get back one of the big men

Sportfan
07-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Wallace for Miller, Jones and Lewis: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nf9vy6
Why for Boston: they shed $4 million for 2014-15 and $10 for 2015-16. Don't understand why Boston wouldn't do this.

Amare for Wallace and Lee: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p8dqxua
Why for Boston: they spend more this year and next, but they shed $16 million for 2015-16
Like somebody else mentioned, this trade could not be completed until September 12 due to league rules.
Stop. Boston doesn't need to shed cap. If anything they would prefer taking back contracts to get a young player or future assests.

And the Knicks deal might hurt them more than help honestly.

Maybe Hump to Dallas? Rebounding has been a problem for them with all the guards they have now Mavs could send Boston either Larkin or Ledo

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 11:31 AM
If the Celtics can get back Knight, Pope, Singler and 2 future 1sts for rondo they should do that.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Wallace still has some game left if used properly. His versatility on D alone makes him a commodity.

No interest in Humphries whatsoever. Reggie Evans was a offensive liability and was able to easily take his minutes......

KnickaBocka.44
07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Wallace is still a good player. He is a guy built for an up and down style of play that has played in the 2 slowest offenses in the NBA the past 3 seasons. It should come as no surprise his numbers have taken a big dip. He cannot shoot he never has been able so to put him in a half court offense is ridiculous. A team that likes to push the pace will be pleasantly surprised by Wallace he has alot left in the tank. He would fit in nicely on a team like DEN or Minny

You are trippin. He doesn't fit nicely on any team with that contract.

nycericanguy
07-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Interesting proposal but not sure I like it for BOS. BOS isn't a FA hot spot so I don't want to use Rondo as a chip to get other teams to take on bad contract. I'd rather trade him for a bigger package of young talent and deal with the bad contracts. If BOS had any power on the FA market I'd be inclined to accept your offer however.

Shump has pretty decent value around the league though so it's not just a contract dump. You guys have Avery though who is similar, so maybe Shump is just an asset.

I suppose NY could throw in Timmy JR as well.

I guess it depends on whether BOS considers themselves players in the 2015 market, which should be real good.

KnickaBocka.44
07-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Stop. Boston doesn't need to shed cap. If anything they would prefer taking back contracts to get a young player or future assests.

And the Knicks deal might hurt them more than help honestly.

Maybe Hump to Dallas? Rebounding has been a problem for them with all the guards they have now Mavs could send Boston either Larkin or Ledo

Larkin broke his ankle yesterday.

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 11:37 AM

You're not going to get an asset back for Wallace if you can trade him at all. The only value you can get from Wallace right now is to shed his contract. So if Boston is able to get out from some of his contract, it's worth it.

hugepatsfan
07-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Shump has pretty decent value around the league though so it's not just a contract dump. You guys have Avery though who is similar, so maybe Shump is just an asset.

I suppose NY could throw in Timmy JR as well.

Rondo isn't even a good fit to play with Melo so I don't think the Knicks are as interested in him as you are. Rondo has to have the ball in his hands on every offensive play otherwise he brings negative value. When he doesn't have the ball he's hurting your offense. Melo likes to have the offense run through him and Rondo interferes with that.

Sportfan
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
If the Celtics can get back Knight, Pope, Singler and 2 future 1sts for rondo they should do that.
Oh yeah I would probably do that too. But not some Stuckey Knigjt protected first ********

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Wallace has become a great piece for a contender instead of a guy you build around. He's a Battier, MWP, Bowen or similar type guy who can really help a contender. So who is a contender with the contracts who could use Wallace:

Miami for Miller, Jones and Lewis
NY for Amare (this is really a long shot)
OKC for Perkins for a little reunion?

hugepatsfan
07-13-2013, 11:47 AM

I stand corrected. Yes, there is a way DET gets Rondo without giving up Smith or Monroe. However, there's absolutely no way DET would ever be dumb enough to build around Rondo/?/Smith/Monroe/Drummond. That's a fine foursome on paper but on the court their games don't mesh at all. The floor spacing would be pathetic.

I hope this trade goes down...

BOS gets: G Brandon Knight, C Greg Monroe, G Rodney Stuckey
DET gets: G Rajon Rondo, G Jordan Crawford, C Fab Melo

Then DET swap's Charlie V's expiring deal to ORL for the 2 years left on Glen Davis' contract (Dumars has liked him in the past) for some more beef inside. DET rolls with a lineup of...

Rondo/Bynum
Pope/Billups
Singler/Datome
Smith/Jerebko
Drummond/Davis

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't understand why we're talking about Wallace to Detroit. Why in the world would Detroit want Smith and Wallace? They'd have two SF/PF's on massive contracts who can't really shoot. In so many ways, they are the same player. I guess if Detroit wanted to trade Charlie V and Stuckey for Wallace it works for Boston's cap, but don't understand why Detroit would want Wallace.

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 11:51 AM
You are trippin. He doesn't fit nicely on any team with that contract.

His contract is one thing. His skills are another. He still is a starting caliber SF in the NBA who was missued the past 3 years.

GiantsSwaGG
07-13-2013, 11:52 AM

I rather sign him as a free agent

At this point the Knicks shouldn't even be concerned about their cap. Their window is right now.

Our window is the future. James won't be in the heat and Melo (hopefully) Amare and Tyson will be all gone.

We'll be able to sign 3 Max guys. Give me. rondo, love and Gasol

Alwaysballin247
07-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure it has to be one for one bc celtics are over the cap... Unless they wait two months

Hump for Asik
Wallace for Luke Walton

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I stand corrected. Yes, there is a way DET gets Rondo without giving up Smith or Monroe. However, there's absolutely no way DET would ever be dumb enough to build around Rondo/?/Smith/Monroe/Drummond. That's a fine foursome on paper but on the court their games don't mesh at all. The floor spacing would be pathetic.

They would obviously need to figure out floor spacing with a lack of shooters but that would be easily one of the better teams in the East. Extremely athletic, great defensively and a huge front court. Use the MLE on a shooter and they would definitely be a team to be reckoned with.

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
The Cavs would also not be a bad spot for Wallace. G-Force and Sullinger for Andy V. He would help out those young guys alot. And fills a need position.

Stunner
07-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Cavs need to keep AV with Bynum's injury history

GoferKing_
07-13-2013, 12:12 PM

You are kidding right? Who would shoot for 3 Rondo and Smith? Who would space the floor? The paint would be so crowded no one could move in there.

waveycrockett
07-13-2013, 12:18 PM
You are kidding right? Who would shoot for 3 Rondo and Smith? Who would space the floor? The paint would be so crowded no one could move in there.

Honestly Rondo is still one of the best at dissecting the paint and getting the ball to his bigs even when teams just pack the paint. He does it all the time.

Phenomenonsense
07-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Rondo has never made sense and will never make sense for the Pistons. Get over it Celtic fans. You're not trading an aging PG who's only defensive skill is playing passing lanes because players behind him make up for his mistakes, that is coming off of an ACL injury and who has only played with players that can actually hit jump shots. Monroe's mid game is developing, but no where near KG. Smith is in no way Pierce. Drummond is Drummond. Add that to the fact that you shouldn't be trading equally within conferences, and the fact that you don't trade big for small, and there is no legitimate trade for Rondo. All I see are "2 good young players and 2 first round picks" lmao. Fuuuuuuck that noise. I don't see the value in offering anything other than what Joe offered for Gay: Cap relief. Do it or don't. It isn't a fair trade and I don't see the point in making a "fair" trade ever. The best trades aren't fair.

hugepatsfan
07-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Rondo has never made sense and will never make sense for the Pistons. Get over it Celtic fans. You're not trading an aging PG who's only defensive skill is playing passing lanes because players behind him make up for his mistakes, that is coming off of an ACL injury and who has only played with players that can actually hit jump shots. Monroe's mid game is developing, but no where near KG. Smith is in no way Pierce. Drummond is Drummond. Add that to the fact that you shouldn't be trading equally within conferences, and the fact that you don't trade big for small, and there is no legitimate trade for Rondo. All I see are "2 good young players and 2 first round picks" lmao. Fuuuuuuck that noise. I don't see the value in offering anything other than what Joe offered for Gay: Cap relief. Do it or don't. It isn't a fair trade and I don't see the point in making a "fair" trade ever. The best trades aren't fair.

lol why do you want to make this confrontational? You don't value Rondo enough to give up what it would take to move him so both sides move on. But this post is pretty ****ing stupid. You're mad at Celtics fans for not wanting to trade Rondo for a package that you yourself say isn't fair.

Celticsfan2007
07-13-2013, 12:32 PM

I think someone is nervous about his favorite team acquiring Rondo :laugh2:

D-Leethal
07-13-2013, 12:33 PM

He's the guy I want in 2015 anyway.

Only way to shed GForce is to give up assets. Knicks will gladly take Rondo, Wallace, and Bass and give you STAT and Shump.

D-Leethal
07-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I do think a Greg Monroe + filler for Rondo trade makes a ton of sense for both squads.

CubsBullsBucs
07-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Cavs need to keep AV with Bynum's injury history

Cavs got Bynum because of AV's injury history

True Sports Fan
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Salmons + Hayes + Jimmer for Hump + Lee?

Boston adds Jimmer who can be valuable, and take on Hayes two year contract, but they can shop him around next year. They also have the option of cutting Salmons for one million this season.

Deception
07-13-2013, 12:40 PM
If Celtics fans think a Monroe for Rondo and Wallace trade is fair, you can get ****ed. The Celtics pick up a PG that could thrive with their new coach and shed Wallace's contract, a Monroe for Rondo is fair, but throwing in Wallace means you get less in return.

Stunner
07-13-2013, 12:46 PM

No Cavs got Bynum because he's a talent and wanted to take a risk , they also was in the running for Oden ( another injury prone Center ) AV missed the season because of a blood clout .

True Sports Fan
07-13-2013, 12:48 PM

No, but they need AV in case Bynum is injured.

SINCESTARBURY25
07-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Carmelo
Jr.smith
Shumpert
Tyson Chandler

for

Gerald Wallace and Kris humphries

True Sports Fan
07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Carmelo
Jr.smith
Shumpert
Tyson Chandler

for

Are you serious dude? Knicks are killing this deal. Get outta here with that. :facepalm:

Lo Porto
07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
There is only one type of team that wants to pay Wallace his salary for what he does - that's a team who doesn't really care about money but only cares about titles. Miami is the perfect fit. Miller, James and Lewis for Wallace.

bleedprple&gold
07-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Carmelo
Jr.smith
Shumpert
Tyson Chandler

for

That doesnt even close to work salary-wise and is straight ******** for the Knicks baskstball-wise.

SINCESTARBURY25
07-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I was joking

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2013, 01:53 PM
carmelo
jr.smith
shumpert
tyson chandler

for

gerald wallace and kris humphries

wtf?

KniCks4LiFe
07-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I was joking

oh. :laugh2:

knicksfan42
07-13-2013, 01:54 PM
I was joking

Yes its almost shocking how stupid some people on this forum are.

Badluck33
07-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Nothing for Wallace. I actually think he has the worst contract in the NBA. BOS isn't a hot FA destination though so it doesn't hurt us too bad. Worth taking back for the picks we get and also the improvement in our own selections from trading away our stars.

Humphries is a movable contract though. I'd be surprised if Danny can't find a deal for him. Might result in BOS taking on a longer term contract though.

knock knock

- whose there?

Amare!

-Amare who?

Amare got the worst contract in the league!

True Sports Fan
07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Yes its almost shocking how stupid some people on this forum are.

I can't believe people actually believed that... :laugh:

xabial
07-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Their window is two years when Tyson, Amare, Melo, Bargnani all come off the books. (Thats $70M+)

Assuming Carmelo opts out/resigns an extension thats still well over $50M that come off the books. Knicks could afford another max, or have a lot of cap space for multiple free agents. Why mess that up for ***ing Gerald Wallace?

knock knock

- whose there?

Amare!

-Amare who?

knock knock

- whose there?

two years!

-two years who?

Amare's only got ****ing two years left on his contract, and the last year doesn't even count because he's an expiring and when his contract does expire he comes of the books with Tyson, Melo, and Bargnani!

Naaa he's uninsured!!!

mrblisterdundee
07-13-2013, 04:16 PM

The Knicks aren't a contender until they get a top-tier point guard. Their cap is screwed and so are their chances of making the finals in the near future.

D-Leethal
07-13-2013, 07:57 PM
The Knicks aren't a contender until they get a top-tier point guard. Their cap is screwed and so are their chances of making the finals in the near future.

Our cap situation is pretty great actually, we are gonna go on a shopping spree in in 2015. All of our major contracts line up and expire at the same time. Our three younger, more athletic guys we would want to keep for the long haul like Shump, Hardaway and JR extend past that date on bargain deals and rookie contracts.

Most Knicks fans recognize barring a Mavs-type miracle run, we are a ECF team at our ceiling, but we like the outlook on the future once all of our monster contracts expire and hopefully we can retain Melo and pair some very good players with him, JR, Shump, Hardaway and whoever else we can snag and add along the way. The FA pool in 2015 looks pretty nice with a lot of guys who are clearly going to look to move on from their current teams.

Fla.SticKy
07-13-2013, 09:00 PM

Monroe would be in the deal

kblo247
07-13-2013, 09:39 PM
1) Amare
2) Charlie V and Stuckey
3) Biedrins and RJ

N3TS
07-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Humphries has got some value considering he is an expiring contract and is still a good rebounding forward. I think Wallace will be the tougher one of the two to move, unless Boston is willing to give up an asset along with him to convince a team to take his contract back.

krisxsong
07-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Who on earth would want Gerald Wallace? He has virtually no game outside of his athleticism and now that that's pretty much shot, he is essentially worthless with a huge contract.

Pass.

Did you say this same exact thing 2 months ago? yes you did and so did I and look what happened.

Not sure what Humph could bring back right now. To get anything worthwhile for him they'd probably have to take on a bad and longer contract. Maybe the C's run him out there early this season and let him produce then pawn him off to a contender for something.

People said Wallace is untradeable. Look what happened, he was traded. yes he has one of if not the worst contracts.

People said Joe Johnson is untradeable. Look what happened, he was traded.

People said the Nets have no salary cap room and they're stuck with the team they had last season for the next 4 years. Look what happened.

Nothing is untradeable and no team is ever guaranteed to be stuck in salary cap hell.

KingstonHawke
07-14-2013, 02:26 AM

No one is untradable. Didn't Gilbert Arenas teach us that years ago?

AI
07-14-2013, 03:18 AM
knock knock

- whose there?

Amare!

-Amare who?

Amare's contract is indeed very bad, but Wallace's is easily worse.

hugepatsfan
07-14-2013, 11:13 AM
If I'm the Celtics I offer Wallace and Bass to the Knicks for Amare. Jordan Crawford has to be thrown in to make salaries match as well.

That saves the Knicks $2,661,620 this season. Shedding that salary also saves them $3,992,430 in luxury tax this season (they're in the range where the tex is 1.5 to 1). Total savings in 13-14 = $6,654,050

The trade would lower the money on the Knicks' books next season by $6,355,133. With their salary at 79 million already for that year it also bumps them down from where their tax would be in the 2 to 1 charge back down to the 1.5 to 1 charge. The trade reduces their 14-15 expenditures by over 10 million.

And for those 2 years having Wallace + Bass makes them a better, deeper team as well. So it isn't just about saving money. It does that and also improves the roster. Bass' mid range game is money and I think he'd look great playing the 4 in a starting unit w/ Felton, Shump, Melo and Chandler. Wallace gives them a defender with more size so Shump isn't their only option even against bigger wings.

15-16 is when the deal finally has a drawback for the Knicks. It puts an extra $10,105,855 on their books for that season. However, their books are entirely empty that year except for a 4.5 mil player option with Felton, Shump's qualifying offer and a team option on their first round pick Hardaway. The Knicks still have plenty of cap room to do what they need to do and even taking on that extra money the trade still saves them a lot of money total over the deal so I think it's worth it for them.

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 12:18 PM

No thanks.

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
You're not going to get an asset back for Wallace if you can trade him at all. The only value you can get from Wallace right now is to shed his contract. So if Boston is able to get out from some of his contract, it's worth it.

Better idea is sitting on him for two years. In the bizarre chance he actually gets good, he could be dealt, much more likely he becomes a valuable expiring. I want him playing 40 MPG for the Celts this year, anything to tank, why would the Celts actually want to get good? Only a Rondo for Monroe (with others to make the deal work) deal makes any sense in terms of making the Celts better.

bagwell368
07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Rondo has never made sense and will never make sense for the Pistons. Get over it Celtic fans. You're not trading an aging PG

27 years and 133 days old... not very old.

Add that to the fact that you shouldn't be trading equally within conferences, and the fact that you don't trade big for small

When signing Smith gives you too many bigs it does make sense to trade big for small, in particular given the jump in salary Monroe will command soon.

and there is no legitimate trade for Rondo. All I see are "2 good young players and 2 first round picks" lmao.

Missed my trades... Rondo for Stucky and Monroe. If Rondo fails to play over 110 games the next two years due to his knee, you get a 1st rounder (bottom 6 protected).

I don't see the value in offering anything other than what Joe offered for Gay: Cap relief. Do it or don't. It isn't a fair trade and I don't see the point in making a "fair" trade ever. The best trades aren't fair.

Too bad Billups is so old, he could run team. He'll be a good back-up PG or tweener when he's healthy that is. What's back there? Stucky and Knight? Well you'll be into and out of the next big Pistons dynasty if you don't make a deal for a PG. You can't draft one, '14 1st is gone right? So in '15 the record should mean you won't find an impact player. Ahhh... FA get Rondo when his deal is up for big money when he is actually declining. That sounds like a good idea.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Honestly, Boston should just use their Amnesty clause and move on from Wallace. He's no more than a year by year player at this point. While he can still run the floor and possibly rebound, he's lost a step or two.

RipCity32
07-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Honestly, Boston should just use their Amnesty clause and move on from Wallace. He's no more than a year by year player at this point. While he can still run the floor and possibly rebound, he's lost a step or two.

People stiil don't understand the amnesty rules lol.

nycericanguy
07-14-2013, 05:33 PM
If I'm the Celtics I offer Wallace and Bass to the Knicks for Amare. Jordan Crawford has to be thrown in to make salaries match as well.

That saves the Knicks $2,661,620 this season. Shedding that salary also saves them $3,992,430 in luxury tax this season (they're in the range where the tex is 1.5 to 1). Total savings in 13-14 = $6,654,050

The trade would lower the money on the Knicks' books next season by $6,355,133. With their salary at 79 million already for that year it also bumps them down from where their tax would be in the 2 to 1 charge back down to the 1.5 to 1 charge. The trade reduces their 14-15 expenditures by over 10 million.

And for those 2 years having Wallace + Bass makes them a better, deeper team as well. So it isn't just about saving money. It does that and also improves the roster. Bass' mid range game is money and I think he'd look great playing the 4 in a starting unit w/ Felton, Shump, Melo and Chandler. Wallace gives them a defender with more size so Shump isn't their only option even against bigger wings.

15-16 is when the deal finally has a drawback for the Knicks. It puts an extra $10,105,855 on their books for that season. However, their books are entirely empty that year except for a 4.5 mil player option with Felton, Shump's qualifying offer and a team option on their first round pick Hardaway. The Knicks still have plenty of cap room to do what they need to do and even taking on that extra money the trade still saves them a lot of money total over the deal so I think it's worth it for them.

Bass is a nice player, and I like him and think he'd be a good fit in NY.

But no way is he worth tying up $10m+ of precious cap space in 2015...no way.

With Bargs & now probably Artest here, I don't think Wallace would make us that much better. He;s a horrible shooter and you need shooters around Melo. Defensively he's not a lockdown guy anymore. I think Artest is a better overall player at this point, or at least a better fit in NY with his 3pt shooting ability.

IndiansFan337
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/blakely-cs-look-deal-wallace-humphries

What can Boston expect to get for those guys?
Not much, unless they take on a longer deal for Humphries in order to get extra draft picks....And I don't expect them to do that.

3RDASYSTEM
07-14-2013, 09:29 PM

SPURS dropped the ball on this one, they should have let SPLITTER walk and scooped up a combo of HUMP and WALLACE to bring toughness defense and banging the glad, WALLACE still has his physical ability also to lean on and I think they are on short term low money deals, they could still be players in free agency in next yr and two,but stronger with these moves mentioned I feel

kblo247
07-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Amare's contract is indeed very bad, but Wallace's is easily worse.

I would argue the thing that makes Amare the worst deal is lack of insurance

hugepatsfan
07-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Bass is a nice player, and I like him and think he'd be a good fit in NY.

But no way is he worth tying up $10m+ of precious cap space in 2015...no way.

With Bargs & now probably Artest here, I don't think Wallace would make us that much better. He;s a horrible shooter and you need shooters around Melo. Defensively he's not a lockdown guy anymore. I think Artest is a better overall player at this point, or at least a better fit in NY with his 3pt shooting ability.

Look at what GS did though... you can turn that Wallace contract into extra cap space in 2015. Give up a pick but dump him on a team that needs to get up to the salary floor. That creates not only 10 mil in cap space for you, but also a 10 mil trade exception. So now you can make an extra acquisition. I don't think his deal really gets in the way of anything in 2015. Even if he's on the books you guys would have about 38 mil in cap space assuming a 58 million dollar cap.

I agree that Artest is a better fit than Wallace though. However, I really like Brandon Bass though so in my personal opinion you guys are better for the next 2 years w/ Wallace + Bass than Artest + Stat. In the process you guys would be saving between 16-20 million over the 2 seasons when you factor in the money saved on salary and the luxury tax implications. In that third year the remaining 10.1 on Wallace's deal cuts into those savings accumulated over the previous two seasons, but like I said I think you guys are in fine position to work around the extra salary that year. And even turn it into an asset with the move I described earlier.

nycericanguy
07-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Look at what GS did though... you can turn that Wallace contract into extra cap space in 2015. Give up a pick but dump him on a team that needs to get up to the salary floor. That creates not only 10 mil in cap space for you, but also a 10 mil trade exception. So now you can make an extra acquisition. I don't think his deal really gets in the way of anything in 2015. Even if he's on the books you guys would have about 38 mil in cap space assuming a 58 million dollar cap.

I agree that Artest is a better fit than Wallace though. However, I really like Brandon Bass though so in my personal opinion you guys are better for the next 2 years w/ Wallace + Bass than Artest + Stat. In the process you guys would be saving between 16-20 million over the 2 seasons when you factor in the money saved on salary and the luxury tax implications. In that third year the remaining 10.1 on Wallace's deal cuts into those savings accumulated over the previous two seasons, but like I said I think you guys are in fine position to work around the extra salary that year. And even turn it into an asset with the move I described earlier.

expirings aren't the assets they used to be, in 2010 teams were going crazy over them, but look what GSW had to give up to unload those contracts.... FOUR picks, 2 unprotected 1st's.

Knicks are already extremely thin on picks, the last thing we can do is give away a pick just to unload a contract.

The small savings over the next 2 years is kind of irrelevant, unless you're worried about Dolan's pockets... but it doesn't improve our cap situation at all or our ability to sign anyone.

Yes we'd still have $38m or so in space, but Melo immediately eats up probably $20m or so.

The idea is to surround Melo with 2 other max type players, or another max and a great cast.

If a really good all star type player comes along NY can definitely cut into the 2015 cap space, but a fast declining Wallace & decent role player in Bass aren't those guys.

Looks like Kmart is coming back too anyway, so Chandler, Amare, Bargs, Melo, Metta, Kmart... not sure there's any room left up front there, even if Amare does miss his customary 40 games.

Corey
07-15-2013, 08:27 AM

They cant.

hugepatsfan
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
expirings aren't the assets they used to be, in 2010 teams were going crazy over them, but look what GSW had to give up to unload those contracts.... FOUR picks, 2 unprotected 1st's.

Knicks are already extremely thin on picks, the last thing we can do is give away a pick just to unload a contract.

The small savings over the next 2 years is kind of irrelevant, unless you're worried about Dolan's pockets... but it doesn't improve our cap situation at all or our ability to sign anyone.

Yes we'd still have $38m or so in space, but Melo immediately eats up probably $20m or so.

The idea is to surround Melo with 2 other max type players, or another max and a great cast.

If a really good all star type player comes along NY can definitely cut into the 2015 cap space, but a fast declining Wallace & decent role player in Bass aren't those guys.

Looks like Kmart is coming back too anyway, so Chandler, Amare, Bargs, Melo, Metta, Kmart... not sure there's any room left up front there, even if Amare does miss his customary 40 games.

If Metta and K-Mart are signed then yes, I do like that idea better. There's also no risk of not being able to move a contract 2 years from now.

However, I think you're underestimating how easy it would be to dump Wallace for double the cap space. Yes, GS had to send 4 picks but 2 of them were 2nd rounders. If you have a good roster, you're 2nd rounders are hardly a valuable asset. They're first round picks project to be late too so again, the value is diminished. GS had to send 2 1st round picks because they gave Utah a whopping 24 mil in contracts. I think NYK could easily dump Wallace on a team with just one first and maybe a late 2nd or 2. Again, those picks would be late in the round so it's not a huge expense.

That opens up not only the 10 mil in cap space but also creates a 10 mil trade exception that you guys can add another player with (through normal trade or sign & trade) once you guys get to the cap. You'd be able to sign Melo, another max player, a mid level player and then get another up to 10 mil a year guy on top of that. If you don't have Wallace, you can't add that last piece. Add that to the 16-20 mil savings over the next 2 seasons and the improvement it makes to the roster and I think it's a very solid trade for the Knicks to consider.

And this is just a suggestion. I like the NBA and as an accounting major I like trying to see all the different trade ideas I can come up with under the salary cap and this is one I came up with.

acemac23
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ob2ycdh