PDA

View Full Version : Where do the Nuggets Stand?

rockbottom2010
07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
It's been a bad off-season for the Nuggets. Ever since CEO/Owner Stan Kreonke didn't re-sign Masai Ujiri, the Nuggets have been on the downfall. Even though they hired Tim Connelly as GM, he immediately fired George Karl who just recently won COY. The first move they made was on draft night was trading Kosta Koufos to the Memphis Grizzlies for Darrell Arthur and Joffrey Lauvergne(55th pick). Signing JJ Hickson is not bad deal since he's getting 5 million annually. However, losing a player like Andre Iguodala took a major hit for the franchise. At the same time, they lost Corey Brewer(Minnesota) and Andrew Miller( Portland Trail Blazers).

Teams like the Portland Trail Blazers, Minnesota Timberwolves, and the New Orleans Pelicans are all on the rise for a playoff team.

Do you still consider the Nuggets a top three team in the WC, or even more so, a playoff team with the roster they have?

tredigs
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Probably closer to a 6-8 seed like they were before Iggy. They have one too many PF's right now though.

Tony_Starks
07-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Back to obscurity they go.....

rockbottom2010
07-12-2013, 11:13 PM
i say they might sign M WIlliams,,,,or go after rudy gay or demar derozan...

Bostonjorge
07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
There right there with the rockets.

Swashcuff
07-12-2013, 11:21 PM
The deal for Hickson was nice money wise but in terms of the fit... that's a bit questionable. Their strength is their depth/balance and IMO they lost a lot of that this off season and its yet to be seen how the offense (their real strength especially with no Iggy) reacts under with no Karl at the helm.

Don't think Ty and Galo (once he's healthy) can afford to start off as slowly as they didn't last season however. They still have a pretty nice roster and IMO would be in the playoffs next season.

Guppyfighter
07-12-2013, 11:24 PM
That's one of the worst off seasons ever?

rockbottom2010
07-12-2013, 11:31 PM

no where close to the rockets or warriors...nuggets and rockets are definitely in opposite directions

c.c.
07-12-2013, 11:38 PM

Are you trolling?

Bostonjorge
07-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Why? They had a better record last year. They lost AI but getting galo back to play same position. I'm not saying rockets suck just saying there right there but we will see.

rockbottom2010
07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Why? They had a better record last year. They lost AI but getting galo back to play same position. I'm not saying rockets suck just saying there right there but we will see.

don't forget your history....before Iguodala, they were a 7th place team...after they acquired iguodala, they were in 3rd place behind san antonio and OKC......

Before the rockets acquired James Harden, they were even a playoff team...and once they Morey made the blockbuster deal. not only they were a playoff team, Parsons became a much better player

Top 4 teams - Spurs, Thunder, Rockets, Warriors....

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-13-2013, 12:15 AM
If everything goes right, I could see them finishing with the 4th seed. I think their worst possible outcome, Danillo comes back and isn't his usual self as well as if there's minimal development between Lawson and Faired, I'd see them as a 7th seed.

VCaintdead17
07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
They didn't lose Andre Miller...

jimm120
07-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Back to obscurity they go.....

??? to their pre-2002 days, right? Cause they were pretty damn relevant from 2003-2013

kobemelo
07-13-2013, 03:34 PM
don't forget your history....before Iguodala, they were a 7th place team...after they acquired iguodala, they were in 3rd place behind san antonio and OKC......

Before the rockets acquired James Harden, they were even a playoff team...and once they Morey made the blockbuster deal. not only they were a playoff team, Parsons became a much better player

Top 4 teams - Spurs, Thunder, Rockets, Warriors....

Nah g do your homework nuggs were 6th seed and went 7 games with LA the year before iggy. Well be fine

rockbottom2010
07-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Nah g do your homework nuggs were 6th seed and went 7 games with LA the year before iggy. Well be fine

either way, iggy made them a better team....whats your point?

slashsnake
07-13-2013, 04:17 PM
I think they are taking a steep drop off this year. Last year they really came on strong after the first quarter of the season.

Igoudala is gone, Gallo has his knee hurt and who knows when he will come back (or if he will). Andre may be on the way out (they just got another PG, and George Karl was Andre's #1 fan).

I think they will try to rebuild around less depth and more talent (seems to go for them in the reg season when they go 10 deep, but in a post-season where most teams only have a 7 man rotation, it loses its luster).

mrblisterdundee
07-13-2013, 04:21 PM
They've lost a lot defensively, but they've still got prospects. Ty Lawson will only get better. Who knows what will happen with JaVale McGee. I don't know how Kenneth Fareid and Danili Galinari will coexist, since they're both starter material and built to play small forward. The Nuggets will have to make a decision: Offense or defense.
Honestly, their biggest hit was taken at the coach position and in the front office. That was a big blunder by the ownership.

IgglesFanInCO
07-13-2013, 04:22 PM
either way, iggy made them a better team....whats your point?

Iggy made the Nuggets a better team thats damn right, and Ujiri was a hell of a GM, but every single other thing youve said is off base

Every single educated basketball fan who watched Karl the last couple years could see how big of a detriment he became to the team, the immense improvement they made from that alone will be measurable
And I feel bad for the Wolves getting Brewer, I have never been more frustrated watching a player than I have been with him (and remember, Javale "not top 10" McGee is on the nuggets too), Brewer is a walking turnover machine who plays some of the worst defense i have ever seen, throw in that he is a sub 30% 3pt shooter and a chucker and I couldnt be happier he is gone

The nuggets have upgraded in coaching, they will make natural improvements being one of the youngest teams in the NBA(especially with a coach who actually has an interest in developing players), and they have not surrendered much depth

I'm not going to make any crazy case that the nuggets are a championship favorite and have improved or anything, I think they arent as good as last year, but the drop off people are talking about is extremely off-base and is just due to the ambiguity the nuggets have always existed in, it is a rare thing when anyone not being a direct nuggets fan knows any legitimate amount about them

Also its doubtful the nuggets are done, they have a 9.1 mil TPE and are looking to trade Andre Miller and one or two of their PFs since they have more than enough, as well as resigning Mozgov

Look for Ty Lawson to have an all-star caliber year and Evan Fournier to break out, and who knows what to expect from Javale McGee finally getting his make or break development year, as of now though, I see them as a 5-7 seed

IgglesFanInCO
07-13-2013, 04:25 PM
They've lost a lot defensively, but they've still got prospects. Ty Lawson will only get better. Who knows what will happen with JaVale McGee. I don't know how Kenneth Fareid and Danili Galinari will coexist, since they're both starter material and built to play small forward. The Nuggets will have to make a decision: Offense or defense.
Honestly, their biggest hit was taken at the coach position and in the front office. That was a big blunder by the ownership.

I have no idea where youre going with this, Faried is a pure PF and Gallo is a pure SF, they have already started next to eachother for a season and had excellent chemistry, and the offense or defense thing, Gallo has better defense than Faried and better offense, Faried is a better rebounder and energy guy

did you mean Faried and JJ Hickson both being PF's?

CodeRed
07-13-2013, 04:41 PM
George Karl is a big part of the reason we lost in the playoffs, we didn't lose him we got rid of him fans on the outside just see the COY and assume he's a great coach. Andre Miller thinks he deserves to start, and Karl played him waaaay too much during crunch most fans are praying we get rid of him. Corey Brewer is an overrated defender and only scored on transition dunks or layups that he also missed a lot of the times, he continuously jacked up 3's that he rarely made. Iguodala also jacked up a lot of 3's that he rarely made and we struggled to spread the floor because of it, we will only miss his man to man defense but our team defense should get better with better coaching ****** Iggy he never wanted to be here anyway. And last of all we wanted to keep Masai but his heart was always in Toronto and we all knew it was a possibility he went there. We also signed some good players on reasonable contracts and hired one of the up and coming coaches in this league in Brian Shaw.

HowBoutDemBulls
07-13-2013, 04:43 PM
9th or 10th place in the West
Clippers
Thunder
San Antonio
Golden State
Memphis
Houston
Minnesota
Portland

Denver
New Orleans
Dallas
LA
Sac
Utah
Phoenix

I Rock Shaqs
07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
9th or 10th place in the West
Clippers
Thunder
San Antonio
Golden State
Memphis
Houston
Minnesota
Portland

Denver
New Orleans
Dallas
LA
Sac
Utah
Phoenix

Take out Portland and Minnesota and replace with LA & New Orleans.

tp13baby
07-13-2013, 05:43 PM
It's been a bad off-season for the Nuggets. Ever since CEO/Owner Stan Kreonke didn't re-sign Masai Ujiri, the Nuggets have been on the downfall. Even though they hired Tim Connelly as GM, he immediately fired George Karl who just recently won COY. The first move they made was on draft night was trading Kosta Koufos to the Memphis Grizzlies for Darrell Arthur and Joffrey Lauvergne(55th pick). Signing JJ Hickson is not bad deal since he's getting 5 million annually. However, losing a player like Andre Iguodala took a major hit for the franchise. At the same time, they lost Corey Brewer(Minnesota) and Andrew Miller( Portland Trail Blazers).

Teams like the Portland Trail Blazers, Minnesota Timberwolves, and the New Orleans Pelicans are all on the rise for a playoff team.

Do you still consider the Nuggets a top three team in the WC, or even more so, a playoff team with the roster they have?

Okay coming from a Nuggets fan. The offseason was bad.
1st. Iggy wanted out. He took less money so there wasn't a whole lot we coulda done.

2nd Trading KK sucks cause I wish we coulda kept him. We need a big guy that can step away from the basket and we got him.

3rd Karl kept underachieving in the playoffs for 9/10 years, so all you Karl lovers shut up.

4th Corey Brewer energy can be matched with Evan Fournier and his shooting isn't close to Jordan Hamiltons ability.

5th Who the **** is Andrew Miller.?

AddiX
07-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Nuggets are my second favorite team since the melo trade, I love what they've been doing.

Until this off season. Seems to lack vision, talent is going to opposite direction. JJ Hickson does nothing for me. IMO Karl and that roster seemed to mesh well, Im really not a fan of anything they've been doing.

I don't know what seEd they'll get, but it will be a 1st rnd ko for them.

SugeKnight
07-13-2013, 05:49 PM
7th seed

tp13baby
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM

There is so much wrong with this post I shouldn't even respond. Javale is one of the more efficient centers. Stats prove that. Faried isn't a small forward so Im not sure where you got that. Gallo and Faried play well with each other. The best decision was getting rid of Karl, worst was Masai.

Denver is probably a 6-10 seed.

AddiX
07-13-2013, 06:05 PM
There is so much wrong with this post I shouldn't even respond. Javale is one of the more efficient centers. Stats prove that. Faried isn't a small forward so Im not sure where you got that. Gallo and Faried play well with each other. The best decision was getting rid of Karl, worst was Masai.

Time will only tell if getting rid of Karl was the right no decision, no doubt his early playoff exists were a big part of that, but I think the players really enjoyed what Karl was doing and respected him a lot. Well see how they respond.

And I like javale a lot, but I don't for a second think his efficiency #s would hold up if he was playing a lot of minutes consistently.

Mudvayne91
07-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I haven't read everything, but Karl was let go prior to Connelly signing as GM.

slashsnake
07-13-2013, 07:30 PM

JaVale is a high energy for 5-10 minutes center. Kosta Koufos was a high efficiency center... before he got the minutes. He averaged 20-12 per 36 minutes a couple years ago when Denver picked him up. I remember a couple years ago, the story was if you give him the minutes, he'll give you the double double. Not really true. If you give him half the minutes, he'll give you half the double double though.

How often in Denver with the nuggets do you see that guy that looks great in a role player spot, get called up to start and play major minutes and really struggle. JR... Boykins... Birdman... Najera...

I think you have to try it with Javale, but if you are playing him 36 minutes a game, I don't see him averaging 18 and 10.

D-Leethal
07-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Its hard to gauge how much of last years leap was Iggy, or the natural progression of a young team. If it was more the latter, I think they can still win 55 games but it really depends how fast Gallo recovers from ACL tear and how Wilson Chandler plays in his absence.

JEDean89
07-13-2013, 08:25 PM
The idiocracy of the posters who clearly don't watch the nuggets on this thread is shocking. First to the idiot that says faried is sf, when he averages basically a double double and can't shoot for ****. gallo, is a perimeter player who can't rebound, they couldn't be more different. One is undersized for the position, the other oversized. Secondly the Nuggets losing Iggy put us back a year, but this could be addition by subtraction in a couple years. Iggy is gonna be 30 this year and we all know what happens to guys who can't shoot when their athleticism declines. Iggy's shot is different every time he takes it, at this point in his career, I don't see him getting better, especially since he's been on the decline now for a while. Still the Nuggets are a better team defensively with him. Still, this team has yet to have a simultaneously healthy Wilson Chandler and Danillo Gallinari and that will be a major defensive boost to this team. If Fournier keeps up his progression, he can be special. He is younger than Austin Rivers, taller than him with a similar skill set except Fournier Shoots 49% from the floor 40% from 3 and 78% from the line, pretty good for a rookie and across the board better numbers than Iggy. I see the nuggets being the 6th seeded team where they were a year ago. I hate how everyone thinks Howard + Harden = instant chemistry, I have yet to see a super team other than the Boston Celtics come out of the gates running. The West next year IMO

OKC
SAS
HOU
LAC
GSW
DEN
POR
LAL

D-Leethal
07-13-2013, 09:37 PM
OKC is not getting the 1 seed next year. They keep playing with fire, downgrading talent hoping their stars will still carry them to 60 win 1 seeds, they are gonna get burned for it this year. Martin was good enough to at least fill half of Hardens shoes, now Hardens shoes are officially empty.

Spurs
Clips
OKC
DEN
GSW
HOU

Houston is still very young, they aren't contenders yet. They will be in a couple years and when they are, they will be for a long time.

SoFreshNsoClean
07-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Even though they hired Tim Connelly as GM, he immediately fired George Karl who just recently won COY. The first move they made was on draft night was trading Kosta Koufos to the Memphis Grizzlies for Darrell Arthur and Joffrey Lauvergne(55th pick). Signing JJ Hickson is not bad deal since he's getting 5 million annually. However, losing a player like Andre Iguodala took a major hit for the franchise. At the same time, they lost Corey Brewer(Minnesota) ...

The parts I bolded I dont agree with. I know George Karl got picked up by the....oh yeah... no team has signed him and I doubt he gets signed for ANY team. Arguably the most overrated coach of this era.

Losing iggy has not set the franchise back one bit. Ty Lawson, Gallo, chandler, mcgee, ect. are the soul of this team not iggy regardless of what people wanna say. Bottom line the team needed to cut ties with guys like karl and iggy because they are overrated and will not help a team win a title. I will gladly eat crow if the warriors win a title with iggy but I bet it doesnt happen.

Picking up pieces like hickson, ect. add nice depth and possible trade pieces. I honestly dont get the heat Denver is getting for some of these moves...

SoFreshNsoClean
07-14-2013, 01:39 AM
I also agree with posters saying Houston is not a contender yet. I will concede though they have been crowned the offseason champions...

Also its funny the hype dwight brings. Just a few months ago everyone was making fun of Houston for getting eliminated by a westbrook-less OKC team and how kevin mchale is a joke of a coach...

Last time I checked mchale is still the coach ...

JEDean89
07-14-2013, 01:44 PM
OKC is not getting the 1 seed next year. They keep playing with fire, downgrading talent hoping their stars will still carry them to 60 win 1 seeds, they are gonna get burned for it this year. Martin was good enough to at least fill half of Hardens shoes, now Hardens shoes are officially empty.

Spurs
Clips
OKC
DEN
GSW
HOU

Houston is still very young, they aren't contenders yet. They will be in a couple years and when they are, they will be for a long time.

i disagree, OKC still has Durant and Westbrook, if they don't get the #1 seed it will be the Spurs, but I think OKC is gonna be damn good this year.

dabeach87
07-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Iggy, Koufos, Brewer out. Foye, Hickson, Arthur in. Gallo out for few months. I expect Lawson, Ill Will, Faried to turn up, but Foye, Hamilton, Fronier must step they game up! Looks like a log jam at the 4 , so I think someone or two gets traded. I see em finishing anywhere from the 6th to 9th seed. Blazers, Pels, Mavs could be fighting for playoff spot depending on moves at the deadline. A healthy Wolves squad gon be in the mix, too.

2-ONE-5
07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
they will stand outside of the playoffs

tredigs
07-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Spurs
Clips
OKC
DEN
GSW
HOU

Westbrook / Durant / Ibaka with solid role players in Collison and Sefalosha = 1 seed or very close to it. Thunder's woes are heavily overstated, even if they're not nearly as good as they should be right now if their ownership bit the bullet on Harden or scored a better offer.

I think Iggy took Denver from a 6 to 3 seed, and I don't see them falling much below that 6 this season. They should win 46-50 or so if they stay relatively healthy.