PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Walks Away From 7 Million Dollars? Is Something Going On Here?

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Andrie Kirilenko had a ten million dollar contract with the T-Wolves for this season. He opted out. Instead he signed a contract 3.1 million dollars to play for the Nets. Now, having just signed Kevin Martin and picking up a couple of first-round picks in the draft, the T-Wolves are in GREAT position to have a great year in 2014 and make a deep playoff run (even if they haven't been in the playoffs for years). Bottom line: With AK47, this team was not going to be in the lottery again and could be competing with the likes of GSW, LAC and SAS.

Instead of taking 10 million, AK47 turned it down and signed a VERY modest deal with the Nets. Now, Kirilenko is at the point in his career where he likely would like to win, but if that were the case, why not sign with Miami? Or New York (who at least got out of the first round last year). Or call up Indy? Or Chicago? Why not call up OKC or LAC? Why a team who, last year, got knocked out in the first round, fired two coaches in one year and now has a rookie coach coming in and traded a number of assets for aged vets who likely may not even play past this upcoming season? The Nets have championship potential, yes, but a VERY small window, unlike LAC, or OKC, or CHI or MIA or IND....

Something is up here. It remind me of the time Joe Smith, who was expected to sign for close to 10 mil per, ended up signing a VERY modest contract with the T-Wolves.... it came out later that the T-Wolves had promise Smith a larder contract once the three year deal was up because they would, at that time, have his Bird rights and be allowed to sign him for as much as they liked. It was an illegal contract. Now, I realize that AK47 may simply just wish to play for a fellow Russian in Prokhorov, owner of the Nets, but 7 million dollar for sentimentalizes? That seems expensive.

Do you think it is possible that AK47 and the Nets have put together an illegal contract where Kirilenko is getting paid money on the side? Or do you think he sincerely turned down 7 million dollars just to play for a 'contender' who hasn't proved to be a contender yet while also playing for a fellow countrymen? This just seems odd to me.

Guppyfighter
07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
The Nets owner doesn't exactly have a very good reputation when it comes to not doing shady business.

FYL_McVeezy
07-12-2013, 09:52 AM
A lil Russian mafia money never hurt nobody :laugh:

Lo Porto
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I guarantee Prokhorov gave AK or a family member some property in Russia for taking that low of a deal. AK was always about the money in Utah and he didn't come back to the NBA until he got a massive contract. Something is up here.

Goose17
07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Russian Mafia has his family.

Lo Porto
07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Russian Mafia has his family.

Ha. Could be possible

bloomis1307
07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
"Now, having just signed Kevin Martin and picking up a couple of first-round picks in the draft, the T-Wolves are in GREAT position to have a great year in 2014 and make a deep playoff run (even if they haven't been in the playoffs for years). Bottom line: With AK47, this team was not going to be in the lottery again and could be competing with the likes of GSW, LAC and SAS."

I like the wolves, but I don't know about all of that. At absolute best I think they could sneak in as an 8 seed and be a first round exit...West is just too good

Dirty money though? Doesn't sound too far fetched haha

Mikeleafs
07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
He's getting paid under the table in cash, gets 14 bedroom apartment in Moscow, a Bentley and several Russian super models... This is a common practice in Russia. Its not all about the money its about gifts as well ;)

waveycrockett
Look at what the Russian Mafia has done for Chelsea. We are next baby

omdigga
"If he dies... he dies" - Ivan Drago

Rockice_8
07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
His wife is rich too. . . It's not about money and why does everyone have to sign with the Heat to win? The Nets have a small window as you say yet he only signed for two years if it doesn't work out then he can sign with the Heat or whoever other contender he wants.

The Russian thing helped his decision. Him and Prok are friends and Mia couldn't pay him the 3M per year anyway it would have been for the minimum.

I'll play both sides of this card for fun. Let's say he does give AK 10M on the side. Please tell me how the NBA is going to prove that in Russia?

Nobody will ever know the truth so stop your complaining. Proky is a pimp with unlimited resources and he's a great thing for basketball.

Rockice_8
07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I guarantee Prokhorov gave AK or a family member some property in Russia for taking that low of a deal. AK was always about the money in Utah and he didn't come back to the NBA until he got a massive contract. Something is up here.

He was always about the money? He gave his entire salary from the lockout season to charity. Does that sound like a guy all about the money. His wife is a pop star who makes a ton of money too.

People are mad.

Chronz
07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Firstly, just because you want to win doesn't mean another team wants to win with you. Secondly, just because he wants to win doesn't mean he has to do so with any team you deem relevant. The Nets are not a bad choice considering the upgrades they've made. Thirdly, its still BROOKLYN. Maybe he wants to win whilst having a good time in a big city with some Russian friends. And lastly, he DID try to go to the Spurs/OKC but the Twolves (smartly) refused to strengthen a prime competitor.

And I highly doubt the T'Wolves are in the class you put them with.

Pretty much disagree with your entire premise, nothing you said made sense. Why would he care about a short window when his window as a player is just as short?

BKLYNpigeon
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Who cares, Its just Andre Kirilenko.

He has a valid point in accepting less money. Better chance to win a championship right away and to try and win one with a Russian owner.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
why does everyone have to sign with the Heat to win?

I mentioned several teams that weren't Miami he could have signed with, for the record.

Nobody will ever know the truth so stop your complaining.

Who said I was complaining?

Lo Porto
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Proky is awful for the NBA. $200 million for the team this year when the CBA was supposed to create parody. Its a joke. Massive spenders in soccer have started to ruin the game. I hope this doesn't happen in the NBA.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Proky is awful for the NBA. $200 million for the team this year when the CBA was supposed to create parody. Its a joke. Massive spenders in soccer have started to ruin the game. I hope this doesn't happen in the NBA.

Honesty it's funny because in MLB you see teams run up payrolls of $150-$200 Million every year. Heck the Dodgers have like a $220 Milllion payroll. This is nothing crazy

SlimKid
07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
It simply looks like him and his agent misjudged the market and got bit in the *****.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Firstly, just because you want to win doesn't mean another team wants to win with you. Secondly, just because he wants to win doesn't mean he has to do so with any team you deem relevant. The Nets are not a bad choice considering the upgrades they've made. Thirdly, its still BROOKLYN. Maybe he wants to win whilst having a good time in a big city with some Russian friends. And lastly, he DID try to go to the Spurs/OKC but the Twolves (smartly) refused to strengthen a prime competitor.

And I highly doubt the T'Wolves are in the class you put them with.

Pretty much disagree with your entire premise, nothing you said made sense. Why would he care about a short window when his window as a player is just as short?

I don't disagree that BK is a decent selection. We will disagree on Minny's standing. I think they have a great roster. Last season they were missing Love, so the addition of Martin AND Love this year, as well as a couple of first-round picks, will likley make them much better. Rubio should get better, and Pek, and Adleman is a great coach. We can disagree on that... that's fine, I understand if some thing Minny won't do well... I think they are a 50-win team with potential to get into the second round depending on positioning and match-ups...
I think the Nets are the same... 50-win team with a chance to get into the second round or get eliminated in the first.

The attempts with SA and OKC were half hearted judging from reports and may have been a formality.

The crux of the suggestion isn't so much "why didn't he stay' or 'why didn't he go to x-team'. You are right... just because some teams want to win, doesn't mean they want to win with you. But the crux of the argument isn't so much 'why not play for this contender', but rather 'WHY LEAVE SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS ON THE TABLE!!!!!'

This is SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS!!! He was getting paid more to play this season than for both season in BK. Yeah, playing in NY would be great, or LA, but we are talking about a guy who turned down less money to play in Europe during the lock out.... He could have played in the NBA for less money in a nicer city, but he chose to chase the money then. Why is he not doing the same now? He could have played out this season, made more money that he will the next two season with BK and then sign with a contend/champion next year.

My primary questioning is financial. Secondly is basketball. I cannot think of a player who has turned down so much for one season EVER. Sure, Bosh and LBJ and Wade took pay cuts... but LBJ and Wade make BOAT loads on endorsements and are only taking a couple million less... a very small percentage of their salary compared to AK47. AK47 took a 70% pay cut.... LBJ took like a 5% pay cut. Can you name a player who ever took such a huge pay cut to play for a team that wasn't even a contender for sure?

The only guy I can come up with is Karl Malone. He had a huge offer from Utah when he left to go to LAL, but he left to play with PRIME Shaq/Kobe and fellow HOF Gary Payton. THAT is a very RARE opportunity.

TragicallyHip
07-12-2013, 10:42 AM

The word you're looking for is parity, but it's ironic that you used parody, then it's a joke immediately after because a parody is a satirical imitation of something.

http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//24/cb/24cb2c6e4dbe01438707ffc459add689.jpg

Goose17
07-12-2013, 10:43 AM

The tax they're paying next year will cripple them.

They're not winning anything anyway, probably a 2nd round exit. Conference finals if they're lucky.

RipCity32
07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah I instantly thought there is some under the table cash coming AK47s way.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
The tax they're paying next year will cripple them.

They're not winning anything anyway, probably a 2nd round exit. Conference finals if they're lucky.
lmao cripple us?? hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Chronz
07-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't disagree that BK is a decent selection. We will disagree on Minny's standing. I think they have a great roster. Last season they were missing Love, so the addition of Martin AND Love this year, as well as a couple of first-round picks, will likley make them much better. Rubio should get better, and Pek, and Adleman is a great coach. We can disagree on that... that's fine, I understand if some thing Minny won't do well... I think they are a 50-win team with potential to get into the second round depending on positioning and match-ups...
Heres the thing, I never said Minny wont be improved and wont make the playoffs, but even if they reach YOUR goal of winning 50, that still doesn't put them in the tier you mentioned, so even you disagreed with your initial claim.

I think the Nets are the same... 50-win team with a chance to get into the second round or get eliminated in the first.
So essentially, after all the upgrades you expect Brooklyn to win 1 extra game compared to last year? I suppose thats possible but you can understand why someone like AK would laugh at such a retort, Im sure he feels much more highly about the Nets and much less highly about the Twolves than you do. And guess what, thats his prerogative.

The attempts with SA and OKC were half hearted judging from reports and may have been a formality.
Link?

This is SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS!!! He was getting paid more to play this season than for both season in BK. Yeah, playing in NY would be great, or LA, but we are talking about a guy who turned down less money to play in Europe during the lock out.... He could have played in the NBA for less money in a nicer city, but he chose to chase the money then. Why is he not doing the same now?
It is curious but peoples priorities to tend to change once they've accomplished what they set out to. Hes at the part of his career where hes looking for the best overall situation, not just financial. Hes already made the money and maybe Brooklyn wasn't in this position back then to him.

He could have played out this season, made more money that he will the next two season with BK and then sign with a contend/champion next year.
Maybe he doesn't have as much faith in Minny as you do and would prefer to have a good time vs getting paid alot. Maybe he thought he would have gotten more money elsewhere and realized the market was dry and has prioritized comfort/fit above money.

My primary questioning is financial. Secondly is basketball. I cannot think of a player who has turned down so much for one season EVER.
Really? It takes special circumstances but its not that uncommon, I can think of several players who prioritized winning/comfort above money. Duncan could have made KG like money, but chose to help his team instead. He could have had a peak +30M dollar contract back then. Mike Bibby (a scrub at this point) practically gave away 6M just so he could sign with Miami and play limited minutes. Big Z did the same thing, he took the vets min to play with Bron in Miami rather than take mo money in Cleveland.

Can you name a player who ever took such a huge pay cut to play for a team that wasn't even a contender for sure?
Wasn't even a contender for sure? I have no idea what you're trying to say, a contender is whatever that player thinks it is. If that player thinks he can contend with that team, Im not going to question their motives. Even if they are wrong about the team, it doesn't change the fact that they may feel otherwise.

The only guy I can come up with is Karl Malone. He had a huge offer from Utah when he left to go to LAL, but he left to play with PRIME Shaq/Kobe and fellow HOF Gary Payton. THAT is a very RARE opportunity.
So is playing in Brooklyn with a Russian owner and a team that just added 2 HOF'ers. I do wonder what kind of business opportunities present themselves back in the mother country for him because of this. Maybe he can offset the loss in salary somehow. And again, we dont get to tell AK47 which teams are worth trying to win with.

Chronz
07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

LOL you clearly dont know whats good for the league. Owners overspending to this degree for talent is exactly what will keep the NBA viable. Proky is essentially picking up the tab for all those loser small markets. Revenue sharing for the win.

I also doubt that the CBA was created for parity, thats just the line owners used in order to make mo money imo.

imagesrdecievin
07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AK and Proky have a friendship going back to when AK played for Prokys Russian team. There probably is a gentlemans agreement the AK will always have a career after basketball with Proky. Heck he probably already had that agreement from prior to this signing due to their relationship. That is very different from the Joe Smith deal where there was an illegal SIGNED CONTRACT. Without anything signed there is no evidence and therefore it's a moot point.

Great signing for Brooklyn very excited - even if its only a year deal with a player option for the second year.

LAKobeBryant
07-12-2013, 11:28 AM
who has a better chance at going deep in the playoffs next year? Nets or Min?
Theres your answer.

Metsboi69
07-12-2013, 11:28 AM
It was the perfect storm for the Nets. If you asked him what team in the NBA he would want to play for if money wasn't in the equation of course he'd pick the Nets based on the fact of his roots with Prokorov, Dwill, and the inasne talent on the Nets. Unfortunately money talks, and other contending teams had some to spend on him OKC, SAS, and Cleveland. Once the Wolves refused to facilitate a S&T with OKC/SAS, and Cleveland signed Bynum Kirilenko would have been forced to sign with another sub par team, probably for a slight bargain. Although he could have EASILY gotten the mid level and probably more some place is the extra $2 mill per season worth it for a guy whos wife is worth millions, and would be a hero in Brooklyn and Russia if he can win with Proky, and the Nets? I think it just worked out perfectly for the Nets who at this time yesterday thought there mini midlevel and backup 3 would be Alan Anderson.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 11:37 AM
The Nets owner doesn't exactly have a very good reputation when it comes to not doing shady business.

never thought about this, thats definitely the best player from his country nobody close

what would stop him from buying a house for every one of his family members :p

Hawkeye15
07-12-2013, 11:38 AM

this

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 11:41 AM

And their fans are called "the plastics" because they have no history or tradition and they lose most of their big games. If you wanna be next, be my guest.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
The word you're looking for is parity, but it's ironic that you used parody, then it's a joke immediately after because a parody is a satirical imitation of something.

http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//24/cb/24cb2c6e4dbe01438707ffc459add689.jpg

I like what you did there.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Honesty it's funny because in MLB you see teams run up payrolls of $150-$200 Million every year. Heck the Dodgers have like a $220 Milllion payroll. This is nothing crazy

It's another sport, without a salary cap.

DitchDat
07-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes, the window is only two years, but the Nets have a legitimate shot at a title. D-Will + Joe Johnson + Pierce + Garnett + Lopez, with a bench mob of Terry, Kirilenko, Evans, Blatche, and then some, is DEEP. Miami would have the top two players in a potential series, but they don't have as many weapons as the Nets. Kirilenko is the perfect Swiss knife forward who will thrive for Brooklyn.

X12Celtics3
07-12-2013, 11:53 AM

...because there isn't a salary cap. That kind of spending is exactly the kind of thing that the CBA was intended to prevent.

Yankees payroll: $228,835,490
Astros payroll: $22,062,600

Lakers payroll: $100,193,809
Kings payroll: $53,563,817

Flyers payroll: $64,900,000
Islanders payroll: $46,950,000

Chiefs payroll: $128,051,400
Colts payroll: $80,801,342

It seems pretty clear to me which leagues have parity and which don't. In the NFL and NHL, gaps between the highest and lowest payrolls are not that big. Unsurprisingly, it shows. In the NFL teams like KC (2-14, #1), Detroit (4-12, #4), New York Jets (6-10, #6), Jaguars (2-14, #9) had top ten payrolls despite having crap teams, while the Colts (11-5, #32), Bengals (10-6, #30), Seahawks (11-5, #29), Patriots (12-4, #28), and Ravens (10-6, #25) fielded playoff teams with bottom ten salaries.

In the NHL the top paid team (Flyers) missed the playoffs, the lowest paid team made the playoffs, and the Finals were played between Chicago (tenth highest salary) and Boston (fifteenth highest salary).

Now to the NBA... the nine highest paid teams in the league all made the playoffs. For the most part all of the powerhouse teams from the past few years are at the very top. There are a few exceptions, such as the Rockets (third lowest) Grizzlies (8th lowest) making the playoffs, but every team with sustained success in the past decade seems to have done some pretty hefty spending to do so.

The NBA is in this weird grey area in which there IS a salary cap, but it obviously hasn't worked as well as in the NFL and NHL. If teams want to spend like the Yankees they can, and teams that don't get over the cap aren't likely to be able to build and sustain a competitive roster.

D-Leethal
07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Its kind of weird to turn down 10 mill for 3 - I don't know many people in this world who would be willing to make less in 3 years, what they could in 1.

All is fair in love and war, the Russian did his thing I can't knock the hustle. I've been praying for Dolan to do this under the table **** for years.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Sensationalist title for the one. Jason, you are becoming a bonafide Nets disliker.

First of all, he left the $10 million option because it was only 1 year and wanted a longer deal. Once he left that offer there was NO decision between the Wolves or Nets, so don't make it seem like he knew at the time he was going to pick the nets. After a few weeks of dealing the Market shrunk, he didn't get the deals he expected. Spurs were willing to offer $7 million a year (< 4 million more than current contract not SEVEN) but Minny wouldn't do the sign and trade. He just made up that gap in Russian advertising alone.

Do I think he probably will get some sort of incentives from Prokhorov? Sure.
Do I think this is some big scandal you are making it out to be? No.

Chronz
07-12-2013, 12:15 PM
...because there isn't a salary cap. That kind of spending is exactly the kind of thing that the CBA was intended to prevent.
Pretty sure it was meant to tax the hell out of the teams that do so. Hard cap would only lower salaries league wide.

It seems pretty clear to me which leagues have parity and which don't. In the NFL and NHL, gaps between the highest and lowest payrolls are not that big. Unsurprisingly, it shows. In the NFL teams like KC (2-14, #1), Detroit (4-12, #4), New York Jets (6-10, #6), Jaguars (2-14, #9) had top ten payrolls despite having crap teams, while the Colts (11-5, #32), Bengals (10-6, #30), Seahawks (11-5, #29), Patriots (12-4, #28), and Ravens (10-6, #25) fielded playoff teams with bottom ten salaries.

In the NHL the top paid team (Flyers) missed the playoffs, the lowest paid team made the playoffs, and the Finals were played between Chicago (tenth highest salary) and Boston (fifteenth highest salary).

Now to the NBA... the nine highest paid teams in the league all made the playoffs. For the most part all of the powerhouse teams from the past few years are at the very top. There are a few exceptions, such as the Rockets (third lowest) Grizzlies (8th lowest) making the playoffs, but every team with sustained success in the past decade seems to have done some pretty hefty spending to do so.
To me it says that teams in the NBA are better able to make use of their money than teams in other leagues. Possibly due to the fact that 1 player worth retaining can have a more profound impact than any 1 player in any other league. Teams that are rebuilding tend to not want to pay an exorbitant amount to do so. Both are more efficient IMO.

The NBA is in this weird grey area in which there IS a salary cap, but it obviously hasn't worked as well as in the NFL and NHL. If teams want to spend like the Yankees they can, and teams that don't get over the cap aren't likely to be able to build and sustain a competitive roster.
I think the alternatives hard cap or no cap would be worse for the NBA tbh.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Sensationalist title for the one. Jason, you are becoming a bonafide Nets disliker.

First of all, he left the $10 million option because it was only 1 year and wanted a longer deal. Once he left that offer there was NO decision between the Wolves or Nets, so don't make it seem like he knew at the time he was going to pick the nets. After a few weeks of dealing the Market shrunk, he didn't get the deals he expected. Spurs were willing to offer $7 million a year (< 4 million more than current contract not SEVEN) but Minny wouldn't do the sign and trade. He just made up that gap in Russian advertising alone.

Do I think he probably will get some sort of incentives from Prokhorov? Sure.
Do I think this is some big scandal you are making it out to be? No.
If he gets a dime it is exactly that big scandal.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 12:25 PM

That "grey area" has actually worked out for most teams in the NBA. Look at the Thunder dishing away Harden or the Grizz leaving Gay. All salary cap cutting purposes. The tax increase is ISANE. I don't know the exact ranges but it's something like this: first $5-10 million over cap there is a $1.25 per dollar tax. After that it's $1.50 and increases to the point that after a certain amount it's $3 per dollar!!! This new AK47 contract is going to cost Prokhorov $15 million in Luxury tax a year. I doubt he'll be giving him another $10 million under the table to make up for his contract. You guys do realize he will be paying $100 million in luxury taxes now?? The Lakers had almost the exact same salary cap last season and they "only" paid $27 million. There is a BIG difference with the new CBA. There is a reason I have "Prokhorov buys the Nets" on my sig. I knew he was going to be willing to spend. And spend big.

Kirilenko is a strong Russian patriot. He wanted to leave the Jazz in 2007 when Russia won the Euroleague as that was an incredible event in Russian sports history. Prokhorov even OFFERED to buyout his $40 million contract! But the Jazz declined. Nets tried to get him 2 years ago but he wanted to play in Russia still. Last year we tried to get him again but we didn't have the salary cap room and he wouldn't accept the mini-MLE (what he took now). He got his $10 million from Minny and his agent has said:

"At this point of his career, he's fortunate to have made a lot of money," Fleischer told Aldridge. "And while money is important, I think they convinced him that signing with a team that had a chance win--and that had Russian ownership--was too good to pass up."

Yes the Russian connection meant a lot, but it wasn't just the financial connection this thread alludes to. There's a great deal of patriotism and a genuine friendship between the owner and the player that has existed for 7 years. They even went out for dinner together before a Wolves/Nets game last season. Can't say I'm surprised by this deal.

D-Leethal
07-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I know one thing - Jimmy Dolan is on the phone with the NBA as we speak pressing them to investigate this matter - if its shady teams are gonna make sure the NBA at the very least pokes there head out there and investigates it.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
That "grey area" has actually worked out for most teams in the NBA. Look at the Thunder dishing away Harden or the Grizz leaving Gay. All salary cap cutting purposes. The tax increase is ISANE. I don't know the exact ranges but it's something like this: first $5-10 million over cap there is a $1.25 per dollar tax. After that it's $1.50 and increases to the point that after a certain amount it's $3 per dollar!!! This new AK47 contract is going to cost Prokhorov $15 million in Luxury tax a year. I doubt he'll be giving him another $10 million under the table to make up for his contract. You guys do realize he will be paying $100 million in luxury taxes now?? The Lakers had almost the exact same salary cap last season and they "only" paid $27 million. There is a BIG difference with the new CBA. There is a reason I have "Prokhorov buys the Nets" on my sig. I knew he was going to be willing to spend. And spend big.

Kirilenko is a strong Russian patriot. He wanted to leave the Jazz in 2007 when Russia won the Euroleague as that was an incredible event in Russian sports history. Prokhorov even OFFERED to buyout his $40 million contract! But the Jazz declined. Nets tried to get him 2 years ago but he wanted to play in Russia still. Last year we tried to get him again but we didn't have the salary cap room and he wouldn't accept the mini-MLE (what he took now). He got his $10 million from Minny and his agent has said:

"At this point of his career, he's fortunate to have made a lot of money," Fleischer told Aldridge. "And while money is important, I think they convinced him that signing with a team that had a chance win--and that had Russian ownership--was too good to pass up."

Yes the Russian connection meant a lot, but it wasn't just the financial connection this thread alludes to. There's a great deal of patriotism and a genuine friendship between the owner and the player that has existed for 7 years. They even went out for dinner together before a Wolves/Nets game last season. Can't say I'm surprised by this deal.
Some people would argue that the stiff tax is an advantage for Lakers/Knicks/Nets etc.. because of this. It helps poor teams catch up to the middle but further separates rich teams. IE 1-5 aren't affected by the tax but now 6-10 is relegated to avoiding it. I have a hard time believing the Knicks/Lakers would have dealt a Harden.

mjt20mik
07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
He might just want to win.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I know one thing - Jimmy Dolan is on the phone with the NBA as we speak pressing them to investigate this matter - if its shady teams are gonna make sure the NBA at the very least pokes there head out there and investigates it.

It's no shadier than JR Smith taking pennies on the dollar last year to play in NY b/c the Knicks agreed to sign his brother.

D-Leethal
07-12-2013, 12:31 PM
It's no shadier than JR taking pennies on the dollar last year to play in NY b/c the Knicks agreed to sign his brother.

I don't necessarily disagree with that premise which is why I said its all fair game - can't knock the hustle. But it is a little different - paying someone under the table against league rules, and promising to sign their brother under league rules - are two totally different things but the idea is still the same - provide incentives to get them to sign that are outside of the NBA contract.

X12Celtics3
07-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Pretty sure it was meant to tax the hell out of the teams that do so. Hard cap would only lower salaries league wide.

Why tax the hell out of teams if they aren't trying to discourage that sort of spending?

To me it says that teams in the NBA are better able to make use of their money than teams in other leagues. Possibly due to the fact that 1 player worth retaining can have a more profound impact than any 1 player in any other league. Teams that are rebuilding tend to not want to pay an exorbitant amount to do so. Both are more efficient IMO.

It looks more to me like well-managed teams make excellent use of their money and poorly managed teams do not, considering that some of the best and most consistent franchises are near the bottom of the league in terms of spending. The one player making a difference point is valid, but to me that seems like all the more reason to have a hard cap; if you think that one superstar player is worth the majority of your cap space, knock yourself out and construct the rest of the team with what little money you have left. With the soft cap, teams can just keep on adding and adding to their rosters and accumulate absurd amounts of talent while the lesser teams suck year in and year out and hope that they can draft the next superstar- before he runs out of town looking to make a comparable amount of money to play for a team with more superstars because they can afford to go well over the cap.

I think the alternatives hard cap or no cap would be worse for the NBA tbh.

No cap would certainly be worse. The NBA's structure is so messed up that it certainly can't be fixed overnight, but I feel like a hard cap done right would be quite a bit better.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 12:32 PM
It's no shadier than JR Smith taking pennies on the dollar last year to play in NY b/c the Knicks agreed to sign his brother.
Good point, but short of finding a different basketball way to funnel money it's going to be directly against the rules.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 12:34 PM
And their fans are called "the plastics" because they have no history or tradition and they lose most of their big games. If you wanna be next, be my guest.

Yea and they only have a EUFA Champions league banner from a year ago to show for it lol. IDGAF what people call us I've been a fan for the past 18 years history is written by the victor so as long as we win i'm good.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 12:35 PM
He might just want to win.

Oh would you look at that! Player wants to join a team that is owned by a good friend who just so happens to come from his native country that he was just in 2 years ago AND he gets to play major minutes on that team? AND that team might be contenders in the weaker conference??

Nah, he just joined to get more money under the table and risk a public scandal instead of getting over the table with another team.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey who is to say he's getting money under the table

maybe he just made him an offer he couldn't refuse :D

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Some people would argue that the stiff tax is an advantage for Lakers/Knicks/Nets etc.. because of this. It helps poor teams catch up to the middle but further separates rich teams. IE 1-5 aren't affected by the tax but now 6-10 is relegated to avoiding it. I have a hard time believing the Knicks/Lakers would have dealt a Harden.

yes i said most.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM

But they didnt agree to sign his brother, they allowed him to tryout for the team.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Yea and they only have a EUFA Champions league banner from a year ago to show for it lol. IDGAF what people call us I've been a fan for the past 18 years history is written by the victor so as long as we win i'm good.

history is written by the victor lol. This is the digital age bro, history is written by the blogger. You must have just started following soccer.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
But they didnt agree to sign his brother, they allowed him to tryout for the team.

Chris Smith got a guaranteed deal from the Knicks last summer and he'll be the first one to tell you that on twitter.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 12:40 PM
history is written by the victor lol. This is the digital age bro, history is written by the blogger. You must have just started following soccer.

Nets play in park slope. We got plenty of those too.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Chris Smith got a guaranteed deal from the Knicks last summer and he'll be the first one to tell you that on twitter.

wasn't guaranteed.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
oh look we have a little winston churchill on our hands :p well said

X12Celtics3
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
That "grey area" has actually worked out for most teams in the NBA. Look at the Thunder dishing away Harden or the Grizz leaving Gay. All salary cap cutting purposes.

I don't think I'd call that "working well". Teams like the Thunder and Grizzlies seem to be managed well enough to continue fielding competitive teams despite spending limitations, but it still puts them at a disadvantage.

Teams over the tax last year: Lakers, Nets, Heat, Knicks, Bulls, Celtics,
Teams under the soft cap: Blazers, Bobcats, Cavaliers, Rockets, Suns, Kings

That puts the remaining 18 teams in this bizarre middle ground where they spend over the cap (which, from what I can tell, is pretty much meaningless) but don't have the resources to go over the tax. Teams can get around this by continuing to acquire cheap talent and letting very good players walk for financial reasons, but that method of building a team requires so much more skill that I don't see it becoming common. It's always going to be easier for top spending teams to throw money at stars than it will be for the rest of the league to find cheaper alternatives when their stars are looking for new contracts.

colinskik
07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Nets play in park slope. We got plenty of those too.

That ain't Park Slope, homey.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 12:58 PM
That ain't Park Slope, homey.

fort green/park slope aka Yuppyville

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
oh look we have a little winston churchill on our hands :p well said

:worthy: Would have been better stated if I left out the "bro" haha

WSU Tony
07-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Everyone wonders why the NBA has 5-7 teams which can win and the rest become farm systems. Lets face it, if you can put together a good team the mid tier players will come and sign for cheap. The crappy teams can't even sign a mid tier player for 10 million dollars any more - he's willing to play for 3 million elsewhere.

The small market team puts together a decent roster though the draft and as soon as they think they're gaining momentum they can't even spend money in a competitive market system. They're screwed.

I would rather (as a small market fan) have a competitive market (more money usually wins) and the same draft setup and start every game next season down 10 points. I would feel like my team would be more competitive in this setting than the current setting.

The irony of creating a game with rules which don't benefit either team on the court but an offseason which is so skewed in favor of 10 teams is amazing. It truly is ironic.

PacersForLife
07-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Kirilenko is a decent player, but it's not like he is the key to a championship or something.

THE MTL
07-12-2013, 01:29 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if something was up under the table back in Russia, but NBA really cant really touch him.

Chronz
07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Why tax the hell out of teams if they aren't trying to discourage that sort of spending?

To fund the leagues floundering markets...

It looks more to me like well-managed teams make excellent use of their money and poorly managed teams do not, considering that some of the best and most consistent franchises are near the bottom of the league in terms of spending
You just said the highest paying teams made the playoffs. Confused now.

No cap would certainly be worse. The NBA's structure is so messed up that it certainly can't be fixed overnight, but I feel like a hard cap done right would be quite a bit better.
Ive seen all sorts of arguments, some say if players could get paid their actual market value (like Bron making 80M or whatever) that teams wouldn't be able to pay for their supporting cast. But Im sure Bron would settle for less in any scenario.

Hard cap could provide better results, or it could simply just make the owners pockets fatter. Lest we forget the state of the NBA before cap and player movement was the issue it is today.

I just dont think the NBA has ever had enough talent to disperse among 30 teams, if we could get that number down to 24-26, I think parity would look alot better. But again, Ive seen the argument against this vision as well.

Tough to tell really.

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if something was up under the table back in Russia, but NBA really cant really touch him.

They could try to send someone over to russia to find out whats the deal. That guy would probably end up back here in pieces tho.

Zefflin
07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Do you think it is possible that AK47 and the Nets have put together an illegal contract where Kirilenko is getting paid money on the side?

Yes...yes indeed.

rocket
07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
He's probably getting 10 mill under that table from Mikel and the Russian mob.

Chronz
07-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Thats a damn good point

colinskik
07-12-2013, 02:04 PM
fort green/park slope aka Yuppyville

I love how any place in BK where white people live is now considered "Yuppyville" and looked down upon.

X12Celtics3
07-12-2013, 02:06 PM
To fund the leagues floundering markets...

Teams that can't afford to keep afloat aren't worth saving. One of the reasons for the lack of parity is the diluted talent pool, the league would probably benefit from one or two less teams... which, as I'm now seeing, you actually addressed later in your post.

You just said the highest paying teams made the playoffs. Confused now.

In the NBA that's true. But you said NBA teams make better use of their money than NFL teams, which is what I disagreed with; in the NFL, quite a few of the better franchises are pretty low on the list in terms of salary, while some of the worst teams are near the top. That's the way it SHOULD be, the teams who spend wisely perform well and the teams that throw buckets of money at undeserving players suck.

Ive seen all sorts of arguments, some say if players could get paid their actual market value (like Bron making 80M or whatever) that teams wouldn't be able to pay for their supporting cast. But Im sure Bron would settle for less in any scenario.

If he settles for less, then cool for the team he's on... but it'd still be incredibly different from today. A core of James, Wade, and Bosh with a supporting cast consisting of veterans like Allen, Anderson, Battier, Haslem, Jones, Lewis, and Miller almost certainly does NOT happen in a hard cap league. It'd be much less likely that all of the stars end up on one team when they'd have to take drastic paycuts to make it happen.

Hard cap could provide better results, or it could simply just make the owners pockets fatter. Lest we forget the state of the NBA before cap and player movement was the issue it is today.

I just dont think the NBA has ever had enough talent to disperse among 30 teams, if we could get that number down to 24-26, I think parity would look alot better. But again, Ive seen the argument against this vision as well.

Tough to tell really.

Right, the days before the salary cap were broken as well... but the point of instituting the cap was to fix that, and it never really did. It's certainly an improvement- if you're going to allow teams to spend without limit, the harsh tax is a good method of at least discouraging it- but complete parity in the league as it is currently structured is absolutely impossible. Some teams will always be able and willing to spend ungodly amounts of money while the rest of the league will be stuck in a constant cycle of developing young players and trying to groom cheaper options to replace them when they want their payday.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Everyone wonders why the NBA has 5-7 teams which can win and the rest become farm systems. Lets face it, if you can put together a good team the mid tier players will come and sign for cheap. The crappy teams can't even sign a mid tier player for 10 million dollars any more - he's willing to play for 3 million elsewhere.

The small market team puts together a decent roster though the draft and as soon as they think they're gaining momentum they can't even spend money in a competitive market system. They're screwed.

I would rather (as a small market fan) have a competitive market (more money usually wins) and the same draft setup and start every game next season down 10 points. I would feel like my team would be more competitive in this setting than the current setting.

The irony of creating a game with rules which don't benefit either team on the court but an offseason which is so skewed in favor of 10 teams is amazing. It truly is ironic.

It can be done, look at the Thunder.

KnickaBocka.44
07-12-2013, 02:13 PM
I love how any place in BK where white people live is now considered "Yuppyville" and looked down upon.

and they are simultaneously looking down at everyone else.

D-Leethal
07-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman about 45 minutes ago
PG @3_ChrisSmith says "nothing's etched in stone'' as J.R.'s bro looks to earn #Knicks roster spot today in Vegas

Oldmantrash
07-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Russian Owner
Great friends with D-wlll
Brooklyn has a huge Russian population
Chance to win now, with the upgrades they made
New york city

There are a lot of reason he chose the Nets

Blitzace137
07-12-2013, 02:32 PM
What a lot of people aren't mentioning is AK's wife is rich as well. He has money he probably chose the Nets for contending/comfort reasons.

If there is some kind of deal in Russia. Pork could just sell one of his estates in Russia to Ak's wife or a family member for cheap, what could the NBA really do than.

thechom80
07-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, if there is no side money, BK got a great deal once his back gives out on him.

AddiX
07-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Lol at people mad at big market teams that spend $, yet the same people complaining won't even shell out 10$ to watch there own team live.

You small market teams have it good, cheapest ticket in NY is like 60$, some of you guys like minny fans can watch your team for 5$ and choose not to, and u wonder why your owner won't go over the cap.

Gideon
07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
The NBA is doing a probe into the Kirilenko deal.

PhillyFaninLA
07-12-2013, 02:43 PM
The NBA is doing a probe into the Kirilenko deal.

Credible Source?

Goose17
07-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Credible Source?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 02:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

..that's not a probe. that's an article talking about other nba rival execs mad and WANTING to do a probe.

Goose17
07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
..that's not a probe. that's an article talking about other nba rival execs mad and WANTING to do a probe.

I never said it was a probe.

AddiX
07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Than they should do a probe on the Kidd deal too, he or his agent were clearly in talks w the nets before he retired.

And while there at it they should do one on miami's big 3, you expect me to believe these guys all were free agents at the same time, and Mia heat just happened to clear there entire roster of players and cap space? this was all coincidence?

Either NBA needs to let this stuff go, or don't, this picking and choosing nonsense is ridiculous.

Theyhateme459
07-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Lol at people mad at big market teams that spend $, yet the same people complaining won't even shell out 10$ to watch there own team live.

You small market teams have it good, cheapest ticket in NY is like 60$, some of you guys like minny fans can watch your team for 5$ and choose not to, and u wonder why your owner won't go over the cap.

This is true... it was sad last year how Poorly Indiana supported their team by the numbers... Ratings, Viewership, attendance, ect.... It was not what I would expect from a Market a game away from the NBA Finals.

Goose17
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Than they should do a probe on the Kidd deal too, he or his agent were clearly in talks w the nets before he retired.

And while there at it they should do one on miami's big 3, you expect me to believe these guys all were free agents at the same time, and Mia heat just happened to clear there entire roster of players and cap space? this was all coincidence?

Either NBA needs to let this stuff go, or don't, this picking and choosing nonsense is ridiculous.

Neither of those are the same thing.

Goose17
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM

X12Celtics3
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM

I feel like I'm the only person in the past few pages who has done anything of the sort, yet what you just said does not really seem to apply to me otherwise.

1. I'm not a fan of a small market team, I'm a Celtics fan. The lack of a hard cap was obviously a huge help in constructing the 2008 championship team, so this isn't a case of sour grapes at my team getting the bad end of the deal. I just happen to think that the NBA's structure pales in comparison to other sports leagues and that the league as a whole would be better if it were revised.

2. I'm not mad at big market teams spending their money... every team's goal should be to field the most competitive team they can year in and year out, obviously teams are (and should be) taking advantage of the way the system currently works. I just happen to think that the system requires revision.

Could be that you were responding to something from somebody else earlier in the thread, but I just thought I'd clear that up in case it was, in fact, directed at me.

X12Celtics3
07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Double post, please delete.

AddiX
07-12-2013, 03:07 PM

No, but it's all illegal according to NBA rules and puts a lot of teams at major disadvantages.

ArmLaker
07-12-2013, 03:11 PM
He's paying Kirilenko under the table, if not here in the States then definitely back home in Russia. I don't know how anyone wouldn't be able to see this.

AddiX
07-12-2013, 03:14 PM
I feel like I'm the only person in the past few pages who has done anything of the sort, yet what you just said does not really seem to apply to me otherwise.

1. I'm not a fan of a small market team, I'm a Celtics fan. The lack of a hard cap was obviously a huge help in constructing the 2008 championship team, so this isn't a case of sour grapes at my team getting the bad end of the deal. I just happen to think that the NBA's structure pales in comparison to other sports leagues and that the league as a whole would be better if it were revised.

2. I'm not mad at big market teams spending their money... every team's goal should be to field the most competitive team they can year in and year out, obviously teams are (and should be) taking advantage of the way the system currently works. I just happen to think that the system requires revision.

Could be that you were responding to something from somebody else earlier in the thread, but I just thought I'd clear that up in case it was, in fact, directed at me.

People say the cap only helps big market teams.

But no one looks at it this way. Look at the nets and there cap, people say it's unfair to small market teams.

Really?

They took on Joe johnsons contract giving the hawks cap space, took on kg and pp and Terry giving draft picks to the celts to rebuild, its not as if they didn't give up anything. Traded players and picks for deron. A lot of these teams trading high priced players to large market teams, NEED help. remind you, these were all players that there respected teams DIDN'T want anymore.

Without big $ owners, in large markets, they have less ability to have any flexibility I'm how they build there team. Knicks over the years have traded away countless young players and draft picks to small market teams in rebuilding mode.

Small market teams need large market teams.

Theyhateme459
07-12-2013, 03:16 PM

This is where I disagree.... I am a bobcats fan, but still an NBA fan first. If we got true parity IMO what we would see is almost 1 major star to each team, maybe an above average player, surrounded by mediocrity.

What we would have is battles between teams in the playoffs with a lot of players in starting lineups who really should have a bench role. Part of the greatness for me of NBA past and even present is being to look at the memorable bulls team, laker teams, Celtics teams, and HEat teams, knowing all the players who played on those teams and knowing the stating lineups ect....

With parity we would only have 2 stars in the finals, another couple decent players and mostly other forgettable players... to me that's not what I want to see when it comes to the NBA. I love seeing teams with top talent playing at it's best come the late playoff grind.

But to each its own

PurpleJesus
07-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I really feel like he just couldnt get a better deal.

He left the Wolves in search of a long term contract, but didnt realize that teams are not willing to commit long term to a player well into his 30's, who has major injury history. Its not like he had the Wolves player option AND the Nets $3 million deal both in front of him at the same time, and he chose $7 mill less...he turned down his player option weeks ago, and other than a couple S and T rumors, things were quiet about him until NJ offered him.

Silent
07-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Either that or he threatened his family's life

AddiX
07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
It wasn't the $ he turned down in Minnesota, it was Minnesota.

PurpleJesus
07-12-2013, 03:31 PM

so funny...I wonder why he accepted to play there last year though, since, it couldnt have been the money, right?

Goose17
07-12-2013, 03:33 PM

I've seen Dubs tickets last season in the nose bleeds for $4.

AddiX
07-12-2013, 03:35 PM
so funny...I wonder why he accepted to play there last year though, since, it couldnt have been the money, right?

Sometimes you think $ will make u happy, so you follow it.

Until you end up in Minnesota.

Than you realize, Minnesota was a bad choice.

PurpleJesus
07-12-2013, 03:35 PM

The owner, Glen Taylor has gone over the cap numerous times...

And I can't remember the last time I saw tickets for $5...I went to a game for $15 last season, and that was nose bleeds.

PurpleJesus
07-12-2013, 03:36 PM
dp

Tony_Starks
07-12-2013, 03:38 PM

This. Simply put.

Close thread

PurpleJesus
07-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Sometimes you think $ will make u happy, so you follow it.

Until you end up in Minnesota.

Than you realize, Minnesota was a bad choice.
Got a link?

Sota4Ever
07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah because Minnesota is such a bad state to live in.. I mean nothing like what AK47 is use to. Also we have a rookie coach that doesn't know what he is doing, and a pg and pf that just blow.

krisxsong
07-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Everybody that thinks this was some conspiracy isn't too smart.

1) He tried to go to the Spurs, but the Wolves wouldn't allow it.

2) He previously stated his chances of going to the Nets is minimal at best.

3) He remains good friends with Deron Williams.

4) He's very familiar with their owner, both being Russian and AK47 played for Prok. in Russia.

5) It's not like he went to a bad team, he went to a good team.

6) People act like he opted out with the mindset of going to Brooklyn. That's not true. Teams weren't lining up for a sign and trade with him knowing how much he wanted and he didn't want to wait for a sign and trade to come to his lap so he signed with us.

Oh and didn't LeBron walk away from more money by going to Miami? 7 Million per is not that much to walk away from especially when you've made a lot of money over your career...unless you're an idiot and managed to spend all your money.

AddiX
07-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Yeah because Minnesota is such a bad state to live in.. I mean nothing like what AK47 is use to. Also we have a rookie coach that doesn't know what he is doing, and a pg and pf that just blow.

I completely agree.

PurpleJesus
07-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I completely agree.

Why do you think Minnesota is such a bad place to be?

AddiX
07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Got a link?

Outside of psd you don't need a link, common sense will suffice in this case.

Aust
07-12-2013, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if something fishy was going on.

Who knows? Maybe he just wanted to contend

AddiX
07-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Why do you think Minnesota is such a bad place to be?

I don't think minny is that bad a state, was just messing with him. But it's not that great either. Especially if your rich pimp like ak47.

And quite frankly, I've never got the feeling that anyone besides sam cassell actually enjoyed playing there.

Gagan136
07-12-2013, 04:32 PM

Hahahahah

Sssmush
07-12-2013, 04:36 PM
yeah... why would the guy NOT sign in Brooklyn? Friendship and loyalty matter more than money and I'm sure he is having a great time

MonroeFAN
07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
the T-Wolves are in GREAT position to have a great year in 2014 and make a deep playoff run (even if they haven't been in the playoffs for years).

:eyebrow:

waveycrockett
07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Outside of psd you don't need a link, common sense will suffice in this case.

lmao THOSE THE FACTS

Vee-Rex
07-12-2013, 04:59 PM
You would have to be naive to believe players aren't getting paid under the table all the time. It's not just the Russian owner, it happens everywhere.

There's no doubt in my mind that AK47 is getting paid something under the table.

People say that D12 walked away from 30'ish million by signing with the Rockets... LOL. I'd bet money the Rockets organization paid him SOMETHING under the table so that he didn't lose as much by leaving LA.

Kirilenko's situation is not the first time and it certainly won't be the last.

Sandman
07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
You would have to be naive to believe players aren't getting paid under the table all the time. It's not just the Russian owner, it happens everywhere.

There's no doubt in my mind that AK47 is getting paid something under the table.

People say that D12 walked away from 30'ish million by signing with the Rockets... LOL. I'd bet money the Rockets organization paid him SOMETHING under the table so that he didn't lose as much by leaving LA.

W/ income tax factored in he makes more money in houston

NYSpirit1
07-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Nets are going to get spanked by the league big time. To Joe smith levels if this is true.

Guppyfighter
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM

He can opt out in the third year and get another max deal. That's his plan.

TrueFan420
07-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Hahahahaha

TrueFan420
07-12-2013, 05:51 PM
W/ income tax factored in he makes more money in houston

Not just that but cost of living in drastically cheaper in Houston than California. That combined with the no income tax and he atleast broke even and prob came out ahead in the future.

To those saying endorsement deals lost he won't lose much. He's a top player and they always get theirs not to mention he's better off in Houston if their winning than with the lakers limping into the playoffs. One thing that people that give out endorsement deals care about more than anything is winning.

JasonJohnHorn
07-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Heres the thing, I never said Minny wont be improved and wont make the playoffs, but even if they reach YOUR goal of winning 50, that still doesn't put them in the tier you mentioned, so even you disagreed with your initial claim.

So essentially, after all the upgrades you expect Brooklyn to win 1 extra game compared to last year? I suppose thats possible but you can understand why someone like AK would laugh at such a retort, Im sure he feels much more highly about the Nets and much less highly about the Twolves than you do. And guess what, thats his prerogative.

Link?

It is curious but peoples priorities to tend to change once they've accomplished what they set out to. Hes at the part of his career where hes looking for the best overall situation, not just financial. Hes already made the money and maybe Brooklyn wasn't in this position back then to him.

Maybe he doesn't have as much faith in Minny as you do and would prefer to have a good time vs getting paid alot. Maybe he thought he would have gotten more money elsewhere and realized the market was dry and has prioritized comfort/fit above money.

Really? It takes special circumstances but its not that uncommon, I can think of several players who prioritized winning/comfort above money. Duncan could have made KG like money, but chose to help his team instead. He could have had a peak +30M dollar contract back then. Mike Bibby (a scrub at this point) practically gave away 6M just so he could sign with Miami and play limited minutes. Big Z did the same thing, he took the vets min to play with Bron in Miami rather than take mo money in Cleveland.

Wasn't even a contender for sure? I have no idea what you're trying to say, a contender is whatever that player thinks it is. If that player thinks he can contend with that team, Im not going to question their motives. Even if they are wrong about the team, it doesn't change the fact that they may feel otherwise.

So is playing in Brooklyn with a Russian owner and a team that just added 2 HOF'ers. I do wonder what kind of business opportunities present themselves back in the mother country for him because of this. Maybe he can offset the loss in salary somehow. And again, we dont get to tell AK47 which teams are worth trying to win with.

A lot of fair points here... I don't disagree with you on everything. I think we disagee on how good Minny and BK will be next year. I'm not sure that BK upgraded. I LOVE PP and Garnett, but I'm not sure they are playing at a level that will take BK to the next level. I think BK will be better (when I say 50 win, I mean 50 or more... may 52, maybe 56), but I think Chicago will also be better (they were without Rose, an MVP player and still beat BK this year). I look at the East: MIA, CHI, NY, IND... all these teams will be as god or better next year and all these teams made it to the second round this past season. With Cleveland and Detroit both making upgrades, I see some tight competition in the East. In the West I see SA slowing down, OKC might not be as good with Martin gone. LAL are right out of it now. MEM only got as far as they did because the teams they played were injured. I see LAC and GSW as the top two teams if healthy next year and HOU has some chemistry to work on.... I really think that Minny can leap frog a few teams. I don't expect them in the finals, or even the conferences finals for that matter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there. I expect a second round exit.

But, as I said... my big surprise is the money issue. 7 million is a lot to walk away from... AK47 isn't the same as a lot of guys... but 7 mil is a lot to walk away from. He had to know that NOBODY was going to give him 10 mil.

Playing with PP and Garnett is not the same as playing with PRIME Shaq and Kobe either...

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
A lot of fair points here... I don't disagree with you on everything. I think we disagee on how good Minny and BK will be next year. I'm not sure that BK upgraded. I LOVE PP and Garnett, but I'm not sure they are playing at a level that will take BK to the next level. I think BK will be better (when I say 50 win, I mean 50 or more... may 52, maybe 56), but I think Chicago will also be better (they were without Rose, an MVP player and still beat BK this year). I look at the East: MIA, CHI, NY, IND... all these teams will be as god or better next year and all these teams made it to the second round this past season. With Cleveland and Detroit both making upgrades, I see some tight competition in the East. In the West I see SA slowing down, OKC might not be as good with Martin gone. LAL are right out of it now. MEM only got as far as they did because the teams they played were injured. I see LAC and GSW as the top two teams if healthy next year and HOU has some chemistry to work on.... I really think that Minny can leap frog a few teams. I don't expect them in the finals, or even the conferences finals for that matter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there. I expect a second round exit.

But, as I said... my big surprise is the money issue. 7 million is a lot to walk away from... AK47 isn't the same as a lot of guys... but 7 mil is a lot to walk away from. He had to know that NOBODY was going to give him 10 mil.

Playing with PP and Garnett is not the same as playing with PRIME Shaq and Kobe either...

The East is hands down easier than West. It would be much harder to get out of the first couple rounds in the West on a Minny than to get to the Eastern finals with a chance to beat Miami.

WHY do you make it seem as though it was either the $10 million opt in or 3 million a year?? It was a series of steps NOT one decision dude. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that...

1. Opt out of $10 mil. BAM. Nothing to do with Nets. His agent was looking at several teams at that point, none of which were the Nets (we had 2 other players we had hoped to get - Korver & Bogdanovic). Filling the mini-MLE was the last of our priorities at that point.

2. He shops around looking for a long term contract. Some teams are interested (ie Spurs willing to offer $7 million a year). Who said no? MINNESOTA

3. Finds out market is dry, signs with team out East who is owned by a great friend in Russia for about $2-3 million less than his market value at that point with a former teammate Deron Williams (who he went on multiple trips to Russia with LAST summer for the NBA/Prokhorov). A place where he will get significant minutes all while playing in possibly the best arena in the league in NEW YORK CITY.

ohreally
07-12-2013, 10:51 PM

Not sure if Bk is better. Dunleavy is an upgrade for Chicago, but Rose is really an unknown, especially since the best part of his game has been exactly what could be compromised by his injury. VERY much remains to be seen whether Bargnani can return to being any good, but I really can't see that NY has in any way gotten better at this point. Indiana might be a touch better, but not significantly, and Nets matched up well with them last year. Garnett and Pierce can pretty much play 24 minutes on the Nets, they provide the Nets with attitude and experience, and both are still more than capable of playing if not run into the ground as they basically were last year.

The Nets had no bench last year. Look at them now. Thin at guard, granted, but maybe you'll help them out there. Lopez, Garnett, Blatche, Plumlee, Evans, Teletovic, Pierce, Jason Terry, Shengelia, Johnson, Deron, Livingston. And AK isn't likely to be dismissing Teletovic the way almost everyone here is. That is way better than last year. And why wouldn't AK love to be a part of that?

Minny is getting to the second round and the Nets will be lucky to get to the second is what you 're basically saying. But it seems only he Nets get saddled with what happened this past year. NY is credited with getting to second round because they beat a Celtics team with no point guard, Bradley underperforming, And Pierce burned out. And it still took them 7 games. Garnett is not the only big on this team. Pierce is not basically being a pong guard and the primary scorer.

I don't know. Last year a this time most everyone was rankin he Celtics as 2nd best in the East, and a threat to Miami. This year, adding three of those Celtics to a much better additional core makes for a first round exit. Garnett is going to make Lopez better. Pierce is going to make Teletovic better. Deron, JJ, Lopez, Blatche, and Teletovic are gong to make Pierce better. Lopez will make Garnet better. The'r just seems to be way too much dismissal of the Nets from so many.

Feeling like I'm at a xenophobics R us meeting here. AK can opt out next year and retest the market. He's playing on a stacked team that is owned by a fellow Russian who is not only a friend but a central player in a political movement in Russia. A political movement that could get quite the press and boost if this team won a title, or got close. There is a lot to be attracted to the Nets for when there were no significant other takers anyway.

Maybe AK came to think Love was really a s---head and Rubio was overrated and Minny winters were just way too cold to stock crap vodka and think borscht was a cold cut.

cssdmark
07-12-2013, 11:03 PM
A little money off the books never hurt anybody. The NBA created this with this dumb cap thing. Dolan should have Amare retire and then pay him as a cable exec.

b@llhog24
07-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Lmao.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Not sure if Bk is better. Dunleavy is an upgrade for Chicago, but Rose is really an unknown, especially since the best part of his game has been exactly what could be compromised by his injury. VERY much remains to be seen whether Bargnani can return to being any good, but I really can't see that NY has in any way gotten better at this point. Indiana might be a touch better, but not significantly, and Nets matched up well with them last year. Garnett and Pierce can pretty much play 24 minutes on the Nets, they provide the Nets with attitude and experience, and both are still more than capable of playing if not run into the ground as they basically were last year.

The Nets had no bench last year. Look at them now. Thin at guard, granted, but maybe you'll help them out there. Lopez, Garnett, Blatche, Plumlee, Evans, Teletovic, Pierce, Jason Terry, Shengelia, Johnson, Deron, Livingston. And AK isn't likely to be dismissing Teletovic the way almost everyone here is. That is way better than last year. And why wouldn't AK love to be a part of that?

Minny is getting to the second round and the Nets will be lucky to get to the second is what you 're basically saying. But it seems only he Nets get saddled with what happened this past year. NY is credited with getting to second round because they beat a Celtics team with no point guard, Bradley underperforming, And Pierce burned out. And it still took them 7 games. Garnett is not the only big on this team. Pierce is not basically being a pong guard and the primary scorer.

I don't know. Last year a this time most everyone was rankin he Celtics as 2nd best in the East, and a threat to Miami. This year, adding three of those Celtics to a much better additional core makes for a first round exit. Garnett is going to make Lopez better. Pierce is going to make Teletovic better. Deron, JJ, Lopez, Blatche, and Teletovic are gong to make Pierce better. Lopez will make Garnet better. The'r just seems to be way too much dismissal of the Nets from so many.

Feeling like I'm at a xenophobics R us meeting here. AK can opt out next year and retest the market. He's playing on a stacked team that is owned by a fellow Russian who is not only a friend but a central player in a political movement in Russia. A political movement that could get quite the press and boost if this team won a title, or got close. There is a lot to be attracted to the Nets for when there were no significant other takers anyway.

Maybe AK came to think Love was really a s---head and Rubio was overrated and Minny winters were just way too cold to stock crap vodka and think borscht was a cold cut.

Bravo for being level-headed

TheNumber37
07-13-2013, 11:47 AM
if wolves make playoffs. first round loss.

its not like this is his first contract