PDA

View Full Version : must read interview with salty by fan graphs

grandsalami
07-10-2013, 03:44 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-depth-with-jarrod-saltalamacchia/

Seems to me he is like a tek jr and it actually makes me appreciate salty even more

Worth your time to read it

bagwell368
07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
He talks a great game.... too bad he can't translate what he seems to know into good enough action to actually be a fine defensive catcher. He can be good at times in some areas, then switches to some other combo of great/crappy traits. He has never been a consistently fine catcher and I doubt he ever will be.

RaginRondo17
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
a tek jr? If he could call half the game Varitek could we would be golden and everybody would be able to live with his streaky offense

BostonSports96
07-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Wow, that was really insightful. If only he could throw out more base runners.....

He'll likely get a 4 year contract from us at the end of the season, IMO.

bagwell368
07-11-2013, 10:52 PM
He'll likely get a 4 year contract from us at the end of the season, IMO.

What an awful thing that would be. Yoking ourselves with fairly big money for a terrible defensive catcher that hits the first 4 months of the season.

Screw that.

MiamiBoy77
07-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Yea I don't want to deal with 33 year old Salty. Maybe 2 years TOPS. But Lavarnway should start getting the bulk of games next year I think. Time to give it to him or not.

Nomar
07-12-2013, 12:21 AM
This is stuff any catcher knows on paper. Let me see that knowledge being used in game.

RaginRondo17
07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
What an awful thing that would be. Yoking ourselves with fairly big money for a terrible defensive catcher that hits the first 4 months of the season.

Screw that.

Agreed, if we are going to give a catcher 4 years and handing out alot of $$ anyways, spend the extra on McCann. I think Ryan Lavarnway and Ross is catching duo for next year anyways.

BostonSports96
07-12-2013, 12:57 AM

Screw that.

#1 I didn't say I want him back next year, I said I think we re-sign him "IMO"

#2 He'll be looking for 4 years at least, and if we don't give it to him he'll gladly walk to a team that will give it to him.

The thought of either Salty or Lavarnway starting next year is nauseating to me, I'd rather sign McCann.

BostonSports96
07-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Yea I don't want to deal with 33 year old Salty. Maybe 2 years TOPS. But Lavarnway should start getting the bulk of games next year I think. Time to give it to him or not.

Well then Lavarnway/McCann will be starting, Salty isn't re-signing for 2 years, he'll gladly walk for 4 years.

PapelbonLester
07-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Salty is the most under appreciated player in baseball. The one thing ive come to dislike of Sox fans is running players out of town that are still great players. Name 10 catchers better than Salty? He's a VERY good catcher. Varitek was a great game caller. Offensively he was TRASH. Still loved because he was professional and a good game caller and defensive player. Please dont get it twisted we NEED saltys bat in our offense. He's also a great clubhouse guy. I watch every game and everytime i see the dugout its Salty or Napoli smiling joking around. YOU NEED THAT IN BASEBALL. 162 games is ALOT. Salty/Ross is more than fine for the next couple years. Lavarnway-----TRADE BAIT!!! Ill take a 3rd baseman please.....oh BELTRE WHO WE RAN OUT OF TOWN AS WELL would be nice.

bagwell368
07-12-2013, 11:41 AM
#1 I didn't say I want him back next year, I said I think we re-sign him "IMO"

And my reply is regarding the idea, not the person that wrote it.

#2 He'll be looking for 4 years at least, and if we don't give it to him he'll gladly walk to a team that will give it to him.

Promise?

The thought of either Salty or Lavarnway starting next year is nauseating to me, I'd rather sign McCann.

McCann is an elite offensive catcher. He's making $12M this year, before he gets to FA. He could easily get an offer of $15M x 4 - or better. But he'll be 30 in February, and is not an elite defender. I don't see him coming here.

Nomar
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
And my reply is regarding the idea, not the person that wrote it.

Promise?

McCann is an elite offensive catcher. He's making $12M this year, before he gets to FA. He could easily get an offer of $15M x 4 - or better. But he'll be 30 in February, and is not an elite defender. I don't see him coming here.

This. McCann fan but hes not a good fit. Hes too old of a catcher to sign long term, has missed his fair share of games in recent years, and would take a good chunk of money per year. I'm fine with a Lavarnway & Ross/Vazquez setup going forward until Swihart is ready (late 2015 - 2016).

Pittz
07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Salty is the most under appreciated player in baseball. The one thing ive come to dislike of Sox fans is running players out of town that are still great players. Name 10 catchers better than Salty? He's a VERY good catcher. Varitek was a great game caller. Offensively he was TRASH. Still loved because he was professional and a good game caller and defensive player. Please dont get it twisted we NEED saltys bat in our offense. He's also a great clubhouse guy. I watch every game and everytime i see the dugout its Salty or Napoli smiling joking around. YOU NEED THAT IN BASEBALL. 162 games is ALOT. Salty/Ross is more than fine for the next couple years. Lavarnway-----TRADE BAIT!!! Ill take a 3rd baseman please.....oh BELTRE WHO WE RAN OUT OF TOWN AS WELL would be nice.

How the hell did we run Beltre out of town?

bagwell368
07-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Salty is the most under appreciated player in baseball. The one thing ive come to dislike of Sox fans is running players out of town that are still great players.

There is nothing great about Salty - unless that name on the back of the shirt wins you a bet.

Name 10 catchers better than Salty?

With ease, not wasting my time now giving a list. But I looked up 2012 Salty vs AL catchers.

With the bat he was: .222/.288/.454 - lg average .243/.311/.399 - pretty average on the bat, not elite

On D, he was the worst AL catcher that played over 74 games. His CS% was a meager 18% (lg average 26).

He's a VERY good catcher.

Prove it. He's mediocre since he's been in Boston.

Varitek was a great game caller. Offensively he was TRASH

Last few years, yes.

Still loved because he was professional and a good game caller and defensive player.

Of all the positions, catcher is the one to get right defensively.

Please dont get it twisted we NEED saltys bat in our offense.

Not in the second half historically since it hasn't been there.

He's also a great clubhouse guy.

Got proof?

I watch every game and everytime i see the dugout its Salty or Napoli smiling joking around.

That's not proof.

YOU NEED THAT IN BASEBALL. 162 games is ALOT.

Lose the CAPS.

Salty/Ross is more than fine for the next couple years. Lavarnway-----TRADE BAIT!!! Ill take a 3rd baseman please.....oh BELTRE WHO WE RAN OUT OF TOWN AS WELL would be nice.

Beltre was a very loved/liked player here. He left for a bigger contract - period. Nobody ran him off.

Sorry to hear you watch so much of the Sox, it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Super.
07-12-2013, 03:55 PM
shots fired

-Lavigne43-
07-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Dodgers need a catcher right? They'll probably probably overpay McCann or maybe even Salty, especially if they lose out on Cano. I could see the Yankees overpaying McCann. You don't need a good bat out of your catcher, just someone who doesn't kill the lineup with no bat. I have no interest in overpaying an aging catcher, that has to be one of the worst FA investments.

BostonSports96
07-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Dodgers need a catcher right? They'll probably probably overpay McCann or maybe even Salty, especially if they lose out on Cano. I could see the Yankees overpaying McCann. You don't need a good bat out of your catcher, just someone who doesn't kill the lineup with no bat. I have no interest in overpaying an aging catcher, that has to be one of the worst FA investments.

Dodgers don't need a catcher....AJ Ellis is pretty good.

bagwell368
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Dodgers don't need a catcher....AJ Ellis is pretty good.

Interesting guy. High OBP, good glove, cheap. Yeah, he appears to be set for next year.

AI
07-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I think it's much more likely that the Dodgers sign Utley instead of Cano.

BostonSports96
07-14-2013, 08:33 PM
I think it's much more likely that the Dodgers sign Utley instead of Cano.

IMO Cano stays w/ Yanks no matter what. NYY will always need a star to bring fans to the stands and with their current roster of old, breaking-down guys....they won't be able to do that without Cano or some other star.

Plus, why would they let a player of his caliber walk away knowing they can sign him?

ruckus16969
07-14-2013, 09:12 PM
IMO Cano stays w/ Yanks no matter what. NYY will always need a star to bring fans to the stands and with their current roster of old, breaking-down guys....they won't be able to do that without Cano or some other star.

Plus, why would they let a player of his caliber walk away knowing they can sign him?

I think the Yanks would be ******** to sign Cano to a long termdeal if they havent learned their lesson from Tex-A-Rod then they deserve what they get.

And like someone else said I think the Dodgers would be better off with Utley. I could see the O's or the the M's or even the Athletic's as better fits for Cano. Maybe even the Phillies if they loose Utley.

ruckus16969
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't mind Salty at all. I know he can be a numb nut sometimes but he is young. Growing pains. As long as he learns from his mistakes and continues to learn and get better ( which he has) I don't mind keeping him around. As long as his price tag isnt out of control. There may only be 5 or 6 better catchers out there right now.

BostonSports96
07-15-2013, 12:49 AM
I think the Yanks would be ******** to sign Cano to a long termdeal if they havent learned their lesson from Tex-A-Rod then they deserve what they get.

And like someone else said I think the Dodgers would be better off with Utley. I could see the O's or the the M's or even the Athletic's as better fits for Cano. Maybe even the Phillies if they loose Utley.

O's, M's, A's? Three teams who historically NEVER sign high-profile FA? Doubt those teams sign him.

I might bet on Philly though, but I'll bet on the Yankees as the most likely destination.

BostonSports96
07-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Lavarnway threw out 2 runners today.....not bad.

bagwell368
07-15-2013, 07:12 AM
I don't mind Salty at all. I know he can be a numb nut sometimes but he is young. Growing pains. As long as he learns from his mistakes and continues to learn and get better ( which he has) I don't mind keeping him around. As long as his price tag isnt out of control. There may only be 5 or 6 better catchers out there right now.

Young? He's middle aged by MLB standards being 28 1/4 years old. Catchers tend to be going downhill physically between 30-32.

There is a lot more than 5-6 better catchers out there, that's a major over statement of what he is.

SoxFan101NlB
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Can the Dodgers keep spending money like they are without negative repercussions? Seriously? I don't understand how MLB can keep letting them buy player after player. The MFY are feeling the repercussions now from buying over aged stars. So maybe in about 5 years the Dodgers will run into the **** of under perfomance and needed salary relief.

ruckus16969
07-15-2013, 02:56 PM
O's, M's, A's? Three teams who historically NEVER sign high-profile FA? Doubt those teams sign him.

I might bet on Philly though, but I'll bet on the Yankees as the most likely destination.

The O's have been extremely aggressive on every big name FA that I can remember i the past 6 or 7 years. And the M's and A's are at points where they are ready to contend. The M's went hard after Hamilton last year. They are a big bat away from being very good. The A's have the best pitching in in the league and they're offense in right int he middle.