PDA

View Full Version : If Yao never got hurt

SINCESTARBURY25
07-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Wow I just realized that Yao Ming is only 32 and he only played 9 years in the NBA...
What if he had stayed healthy in the league today?
Would you see him on the Rockets or with a different franchise..
The only reason I thought about this is because of Howard signing with the Rockets.
A Dwight Yao due would never work due to clogging the paint but its fun to speculate...

Thoughts???

mikekhelxD
07-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Skill wise, Yao is yearsss ahead of Howard. It just sucks that he had to end his career due to injuries. It was exciting watching the Shaq vs Yao matchup when Ming first entered the league.

FOBolous
If Yao never got hurt, the rockets wouldn't have gone after Dwight. Plus Yao > Dwight. Yao dominates Dwight every time he play against him

Aust
I Dwight/Yao duo would never have happened. I don't know if Yao would still be a Rocket. I'm guessing he would :shrug:

rockets-fan
If Yao was Healthy we wouldn't have signed Howard in my opinion. Harden and healthy Yao omg haha we would be contending. Yao >Howard

True Sports Fan
07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
If Yao never got injured, I doubt Houston would have Harden or Dwight, if they still have him that is.

But it's a shame he got injured.

FOBolous
07-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Skill wise, Yao is yearsss ahead of Howard. It just sucks that he had to end his career due to injuries. It was exciting watching the Shaq vs Yao matchup when Ming first entered the league.

I still remember Shaq talking smack about Yao when he first entered the league then Yao proceeded to block Shaq's first 3 shot attempts back to back to back when they first played against each other :laugh2: epic.

GunFactor187
07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Yao became such a complete player and model locker room citizen, his defense was tremendous, he had an amazing post up arsenal, also the ability to shoot the long twos and three balls added to his value astronomically. Definitely if Yao were still playing and healthy, no need for Howard.

SINCESTARBURY25
07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
If Yao is on 2k14 on the older teams ill add him on the new look Rockets team just for fun him and Jeremy Lin would have been really fun to watch.

mikekhelxD
07-09-2013, 10:59 PM
^haha. It was pure brute force vs a jump shooting and feet skills game between them two. Great battle. I now miss Yao :(

alexander_37
07-09-2013, 11:01 PM
He would be near HOF status had he stayed healthy from draft to now.

nickdymez
07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
I still remember Shaq talking smack about Yao when he first entered the league then Yao proceeded to block Shaq's first 3 shot attempts back to back to back when they first played against each other :laugh2: epic.

What did the box score look like at the end of that game?

SINCESTARBURY25
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I think if guys like Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum can still "play" then Yao needs to make a comeback.. Even if its for 10 games.

Aust
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
What did the box score look like at the end of that game?

I think the Rockets won that game.

rockets-fan
07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
If Yao never got injured, I doubt Houston would have Harden or Dwight, if they still have him that is.

But it's a shame he got injured.

Why, they would still have had Martin and the draft pick to pick lamb and Lowry for the Toronto pick we gave them. Though maybe we wouldn't trade Martin if Yao was healthy, who knows

FOBolous
07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
-delete-

ArmLaker
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
If Yao and T-Mac were relatively healthy ala Shaq and Kobe, then we could've possibly seen a championship in Houston

Rivera
07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
He would be near HOF status had he stayed healthy from draft to now.

Hes getting in the HOF. His impact on basketball was pretty huge.

SINCESTARBURY25
07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
I think the Rockets would have had Amare to be honest idk why but he seems like the perfect guy for that team at the time.

nickdymez
07-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Yao actually did pretty well in that game as a rookie versus a HOF center in his prime....Yao ended that game with 20 points on 100% shooting. He made Shaq eat crow for all the trash he was saying. not bad for a soft spoken, gentle giant eh? I think that the first 20 points game of his career too. That game was definitely is coming out party.

lmfao... I see you tried to delete your post, dont worry i saved it.

Yao = 10 pts = 35% shooting
Shaq = 31 pts 50% shooting

I mean, got damn thats homerism at its finest on your part...

J4KOP99
07-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Yao was one hell of a player. He just had such ****** luck with his health.

FOBolous
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
lmfao... I see you tried to delete your post, dont worry i saved it.

Yao = 10 pts = 35% shooting
Shaq = 31 pts 50% shooting

I mean, got damn thats homerism at its finest on your part...

yea i deleted it cause i looked up the wrong box score. my mistake. the stat i posted was the stat he had in his first game against the Lakers in which Shaq did not play. but there's no shame in a rookie struggling vs a HOF player in his prime. the fact of the matter is, Yao made Shaq eat crow by blocking shaq 3 times back to back to back and he ended that game with a respectful 10 pts/ 10 rebs/ and 6 blocks. not bad for a soft spoken guy.

I Rock Shaqs
07-09-2013, 11:31 PM
If Yao never got injured everybody knows the Rockets were beating the Lakers that year and I think they would have won the Championship.
Last year Artest was a beast too.

OceanSpray
07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Very hypothetical question but Yao could've been a top 10 center if he was healthy. Him and McGrady could've also won a ring together. Very unfortunate, though. He was supposed to be the next great big man after Shaq and now it's Dwight.

heyman321
07-09-2013, 11:39 PM
He would be top 10 center of all time. Kareem Hakeem Shaq Bill Russell Yao Scalabrine and so on...

Mr_Jones
07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Wow I just realized that Yao Ming is only 32 and he only played 9 years in the NBA...
What if he had stayed healthy in the league today?
Would you see him on the Rockets or with a different franchise..
The only reason I thought about this is because of Howard signing with the Rockets.
A Dwight Yao due would never work due to clogging the paint but its fun to speculate...

Thoughts???

He was amazing. One of my favorites.

WARRIORS@GR
07-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Very hypothetical question but Yao could've been a top 10 center if he was healthy. Him and McGrady could've also won a ring together. Very unfortunate, though. He was supposed to be the next great big man after Shaq and now it's Dwight.That's what I'm thinking too.
Top 10 C all time and at least 1 chip would be it.

WARRIORS@GR
07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
And Yao>>>Dwight.

True Sports Fan
07-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Why, they would still have had Martin and the draft pick to pick lamb and Lowry for the Toronto pick we gave them. Though maybe we wouldn't trade Martin if Yao was healthy, who knows

Your right. Idk why, I just see things unfolding differently. But Harden to Rockets would definitely still be possible, and would love Yao - Harden.

diu9leilomo
07-10-2013, 12:18 AM
He would be top 10 center of all time. Kareem Hakeem Shaq Bill Russell Yao Scalabrine and so on...

LOL nice one...you made my day bro

True Sports Fan
07-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Very hypothetical question but Yao could've been a top 10 center if he was healthy. Him and McGrady could've also won a ring together. Very unfortunate, though. He was supposed to be the next great big man after Shaq and now it's Dwight.

I hope you mean could've been top ten center all time.. Because he is definitely a top ten center if healthy in todays game.

OceanSpray
07-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I hope you mean could've been top ten center all time.. Because he is definitely a top ten center if healthy in todays game.

Oops, yes, forgot to mention that. Didn't think it would be a question in today's era. He would be a top 10 greatest center. He'll definitely make it to the HOF also.

DDynO
07-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Yao is one of my favorite Rockets. Watched him live go against Shaq in the old arena his rookie year. Simply amazing. Its a shame he got hurt. I felt like we could have made a huge run with our 09 team (Brooks, Artest, Battier, Scola, Yao)

lakerboy
07-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Yao became such a complete player and model locker room citizen, his defense was tremendous, he had an amazing post up arsenal, also the ability to shoot the long twos and three balls added to his value astronomically. Definitely if Yao were still playing and healthy, no need for Howard.

Agreed. Yao Ming is awesome. Plays with a lot of heart too!

Sssmush
07-10-2013, 01:45 AM
I heard that Yao had a 20 inch dick that was like 12 inches in circumference. Some people nicknamed him "BeeSzhou Wao" which means something like "jeezus metal pole" I believe.

carlthack
07-10-2013, 02:14 AM
What if Bill Walton never got hurt? What if Magic never got HIV? What if Barkely never got fat?
These things happened to them and that's it, what more to say?

DreamShaker
07-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Man. I really miss Yao. He just played way too much basketball in those NBA years for a guy his size. Wore him down. It is interesting to think of what a healthy Yao and T-Mac could have done, or where they would be now. Yao is 32 and T-Mac is only a year or two older.

DreamShaker
07-10-2013, 03:13 AM
What if Bill Walton never got hurt? What if Magic never got HIV? What if Barkely never got fat?
These things happened to them and that's it, what more to say?

Barkley was always fat. Lol.

c.c.
07-10-2013, 08:42 AM
2009 was our year! Damn injuries!!!

WhiteSoxGod
07-10-2013, 08:54 AM
2009 was our year! Damn injuries!!!

2013-2014 is our Season....no worries!!!

ManRam
07-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Yao was as good as it gets. I used to openly argue that he was better than Dwight when those two were the clear top 2 guys. It's a shame, but it's hard to stay healthy when you're that freakishly huge.

Easily could have been an all time great.

DreamShaker
07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Yao was as good as it gets. I used to openly argue that he was better than Dwight when those two were the clear top 2 guys. It's a shame, but it's hard to stay healthy when you're that freakishly huge.

Easily could have been an all time great.

So true about his size. He also had so many obligations playing for China that he never got a rest. I remember everybody freaking out about that, and it did catch up to him.

rocketfuel
07-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Even his original detractors like Shaq who was unnaturally obsessed with him eventually really liked him. China seemed to run him into the ground with all that year round basketball...he's too freaking loyal.

Yao was way more skilled, had better b-ball IQ and was a better shooter. He could have averaged way more, but he always tried to get his teammates involved. Morey's very aggressive so he would have gotten him some help...too bad Morey wasn't here earlier. I actually think Tmac 13 in 30 something seconds was even more explosive than Harden. The thing is you wouldn't even need to court Yao. Yao always let ownership know that he was all in and did everything he could to help the organization even courting Dwight now that he has no incentive to do so...so we didn't have any free agency concerns with Yao. If Yao had been in LA, even would have co-existed with Kobe. He doesn't get into personal tiffs. Just as aperson, I always liekd Yao a lot. Him, Mutombo and Hakeem were some of the nicer guys to don a Rockets jersey.

yungincome
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Yao was like that created player on 2K that you could cheese with.
That 7foot6 guy with everything on 99.

Just finished watching some old videos of him, now I miss him. Very talented basketball player. Injuries took his talents away from us.

Aust
07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I wonder what Yao is up to nowadays.

FOBolous
07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I wonder what Yao is up to nowadays.

he's actually doing pretty well. he gone back to school...owns his own winery...is involved in wildlife conservation...is an owner of his former Chinese basketball team, the Shanghai Sharks...and is actually an elected government official in Shanghai (yes, China has elections. China isn't your typical 'communist' country).

Aust
07-10-2013, 10:36 PM
he's actually doing pretty well. he gone back to school...owns his own winery...is involved in wildlife conservation...is an owner of his former Chinese basketball team, the Shanghai Sharks...and is actually an elected government official in Shanghai (yes, China has elections. China isn't your typical 'communist' country).

Elections in China?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/101/781/Y0UJC.png

FOBolous
07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Elections in China?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/101/781/Y0UJC.png

yup. they have elections at local levels for municipal positions. requirements for participation varies city by city...province by province. which positions that are up for election varies too. and i think they are experimenting with open election in smaller towns. but of course, to run, you have to be part of the Communist Party. and some of their national leaders are elected too...within the party of course. and unlike other communist countries where there is one guy who is the dictator, China switches leaders every 10 years. In fact, that recently transitioned to a new leader. They have a very unique form of government that is unlike any in the world. It's not a full on Democracy (obviously) nor is it your traditional dictatorship where one guy/family has all the power. It's very interesting. Info are scarce (for obvious reasons), but if you spent time researching...you'll be amazed by it. That is...if you're a history/politics kind of guy (which i am).

Yao is one of these elected officials for the City of Shanghai: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/yao-ming-now-at-center-of-shanghai-politics/

jason6692
07-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Honestly I wish the mavs can sign Yao he would be hands down better than annyone who plays C for Dallas for the next 5 years it's sad and true

ztilzer31
07-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Yao was soft. Not nearly the impact defensively Howard is. Not even close at any point of his career.

Aust
07-11-2013, 12:30 AM
I just wanted a reason to post the Yao meme pic. :p
Surprised nobody has whipped it out in this thread.

aussie
07-11-2013, 07:22 AM
I have a feeling LA or NY would of grabbed Yao by now

2-ONE-5
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Yao was soft. Not nearly the impact defensively Howard is. Not even close at any point of his career.

ummmmm no

MrfadeawayJB
07-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Yao was sooo much better all around than Howard has ever been. Psd is showing its youth lol

ztilzer31
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Yao was sooo much better all around than Howard has ever been. Psd is showing its youth lol

Lol showing it's youth. I literally watched Yao as he went into this league.

Soft defensive player. Soft offensive player. Any 7 foot 6 center that gets blocked by Nate Robinson is soft. Nuff said. Great in some area's but really lacked in some spots of his game. Way better than Howard is offensively for sure. Hit his free throws. Was average in the post for his size though...

If you think Yao Ming is better than Howard defensively you're high lol. This Howard hate is just getting ridiculous. Three straight defensive player of the year awards, and you can't even say he's better than Yao defesnively.

I think you're the youth, and I don't think you know anything about basketball if you think Yao Ming is better defensively than Dwight. That's just straight dumb.

ztilzer31
07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
People are so "in the moment" on this form. I bet half of you don't even think Dwight is a top 5 center in the league. Just proves that you just follow the media's tail in everything. Just like when 50% of this forum decided LB wasn't a top 5 player when he moved to Miami... Just stupidity, and you never learn from your mistakes. Judging basketball by thing you know nothing about. You don't know Dwight. You don't know his personallity. You aren't there for any of the events that transpire behind closed doors. Stop taking everyone's opinion, and judge what you can. Basketball.

Till then STFU and stop posting.

topdog
07-11-2013, 08:54 PM
It's a shame what happened to Yao. He had his growing pains but was becoming an absolute force before his latest setback set him back for good.

STAT1
07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
If Yao never gets hurt the whole league isn't what it is today. The butterfly effect.

NoahH
07-12-2013, 11:59 AM
With Yao, OBVIOUSLY Rockets don't sign Howard. In his prime Yao was a 22-10-2 guy and that one season he averaged 25. I think people underestimate his skill. He was a GOOD player. Lacked defensively obviously, but was a GOOD offensive player. Of course, no doubt injuries were gonna be a huge factor in his career. 7-6, 310lbs is hard to keep healthy. If you look at his games played starting from his rookie season it goes like this.. 82,82,80,57,48,55,77,5.. With the exception of the 77 game season it was clear his body was not holding up. Didn't some people attribute this to his dedication to the Chinese National team etc.? He just played too much basketball essentially.

2-ONE-5
07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Lol showing it's youth. I literally watched Yao as he went into this league.

Soft defensive player. Soft offensive player. Any 7 foot 6 center that gets blocked by Nate Robinson is soft. Nuff said. Great in some area's but really lacked in some spots of his game. Way better than Howard is offensively for sure. Hit his free throws. Was average in the post for his size though...

If you think Yao Ming is better than Howard defensively you're high lol. This Howard hate is just getting ridiculous. Three straight defensive player of the year awards, and you can't even say he's better than Yao defesnively.

I think you're the youth, and I don't think you know anything about basketball if you think Yao Ming is better defensively than Dwight. That's just straight dumb.

no one said he was a better defensive C then Howard but calling him soft and saying Howard is light years better on D simply inst true and to think that is "straight dumb" (yea you showed your youth using those words)