PDA

View Full Version : NYPost: Carmelo Anthony may leave the NY Knicks after next season

JordansBulls
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_ing_out_zXeGnDTuMXmxj6hWn1uZrK

Anthony has an opt-out clause after next season. If the Knicks donít take a step forward in 2013-14, he may see stars. Hollywood stars. The Post has reported the Knicks can offer Anthony an extension starting in February, which would mark the collective bargaining agreementís required three years from his last extension. But itís unlikely Anthony would accept and blow his first chance at free agency.

The Post reported on May 29 that Anthony hoped the Knicks would acquire a secondary scorer to play alongside him and was concerned about managementís postseason remarks the team would stay intact. The underlying implication was if Anthony doesnít see the team upgrade the roster with more star power, it could factor in his decision on whether to stay in New York long-term.

I don't get this. Why would he bolt the Knicks for the Lakers when the Lakers are even older?

shep33
07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
I doubt he comes here. Only chance is if LeBron comes and even then it'd be a longshot. Not financially because we can get both, but I just don't see LBJ leaving.

Heck, in all truth I just don't see Melo leaving the Knicks. He wanted in there, and I think he'll end his career there

ManRam
DUN! DUN! DUN!

Let the (mostly pointless and annoying) circus begin!

But nothing here seems like anything more than slightly common-sensical and probably premature speculation

Sandman
I don't get this. Why would he bolt the Knicks for the Lakers when the Lakers are even older?

He has an ETO and the NY Post wrote a puffery article based on the words "may" and "could".

Shoddy journalism.

Jtirado16
He's gonna bolt to the Lakers to make another super team.. With as much cap space as they have they will attractive several players

NYSPORTSALLDAY
07-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Blah blah blah

DerekRE_3
07-09-2013, 01:56 PM

The NBA isn't going to let the Lakers not be good for too long.

Sandman
07-09-2013, 01:56 PM
He's gonna bolt to the Lakers to make another super team.. With as much cap space as they have they will attractive several players
They'll need Kobe and Melo to take massive pay cuts to even think about #3.

True Sports Fan
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Don't understand why Melo wants to play with an old Khich no other Kobe, coming off an injury with no other pieces. Kobe is gonna have to go from 30M to 10M if he wants to pull this off, but I even don't see that happening either.

Bruno
07-09-2013, 02:00 PM

whats not to get? steve nash is the only player on the books for the Lakers in 2014-2015. if they trade him they will literally have 100% cap space available going into 2014. what logical superstar wouldn't want to be the center piece of a Laker team with that much cap space? and if his best bud Kobe resigns on discount ala Tim Duncan, Melo can look forward to a Lakers team that can still add another max player or two and lots of other young talent around them.

wouldn't you say thats more enticing than the Knicks cap purgatory? the knicks wont have the kind of financial flexibility that LAL has until 2015-2016. until them, they're stuck in the middle of the eastern conference playoff pack.

shep33
07-09-2013, 02:00 PM

It depends. I mean I can see Nash being traded or retiring by next year. Still has value, even at his age he was one of the more efficient offensive players in the NBA last year.

Even with Nash they can sign both LBJ and Melo outright I believe.

I still don't think it's going to happen though. Long shot

Knowledge
07-09-2013, 02:01 PM
This feels like Deja Vu

The Lakers will have cap room to make moves with Carmelo, the Knicks are stuck where they are with no flexibility (good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to beat the better teams in the East).

Only Steve Nash is on the books past this coming season for LA.

lvlheaded
07-09-2013, 02:01 PM
The Knicks have cap space to sign another Max player in 2015 plus fill out the roster. I don't think Melo forced his way to the Knicks just leave before what will probably be their best opportunity to win a title

Bruno
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Don't understand why Melo wants to play with an old Khich no other Kobe, coming off an injury with no other pieces. Kobe is gonna have to go from 30M to 10M if he wants to pull this off, but I even don't see that happening either.

duncan did it.

Triple_Ocho
07-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Next season the Lakers will have cap to sign 3 max players. Kobe wants to win. I'm sure he will take a pay cut a la Duncan ($12 mill or so)...The Knicks with Amare are screwed financially for a while...

Triple_Ocho
07-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Next season the Lakers will have cap to sign 3 max players. Kobe wants to win. I'm sure he will take a pay cut a la Duncan ($12 mill or so)...The Knicks with Amare are screwed financially for a while...

Bruno
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
players have taken pay-cuts to put themselves in position to win. both old and young MVP level players have done it. Duncan resigned for three years 30 million dollars, and LeBron James and Dwyane Wade both took 'max' deals starting at 14.5 million dollars in order to bring themselves together with Bosh; they all sacrificed. LBJ got paid 14.5 million dollars in his first year in Miami. think about that. Sacrifice is the name of the game.

If the Lakers trade Nash, and Bryant/Melo follow the lead of Duncan/James, relative to where they are in their careers LAL has the potential to surround them with two other max free agents.

Melo- 15 million
Max B- 15 million
Max C- 15 million
Kobe- 10 million.

that teams still ten million dollars under the salary cap. free agents would flock the LAL on discount to join this potential and LAL would fill out the rest of the roster nicely. even if you can only surround melo and kobe with one additional max free agent- that team with a nice bench would be more competitive than the knicks today, or next year, or the year after that. melo will be 31 by the time NYK has any cap space, is he willing to wait? you think he wants to be the only one of the big four from 2003 to retire ringless?

with all this being said, he could easily just stay in NY too. great city.

NYKNYGNYY
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
My guess is this has a 15% chance of happening , he loves New York and was born here , only reason I give it that high is cus his little "toast" didn't work out. Amares shot and I wish he was gone I'd take a half eaten pancake for him .... And Chris Paul well he's in a great position so no blame there . Tbh we have no chance to do anything this year if players weren't so greedy maybe we coulda signed someone big. Tyson is past his prime already at 31 Idk if melo wants to stay after thinking about all this idfk.. Unless shump n Tim jr become superstars

Crackadalic
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Who are these other max players though? Dwade would be crazy to opt up this early knowing that his body is wearing down. Maybe bosh but I don't see him playing in a big media market like Dwight. Dirk/pau/pierce are old. Having gay/deng would be redundant if there signing melo. Top centers are gortat, bogut who is injured a lot and cousins who is restricted. I can see zbo coming but are you giving him max money at his age? Everyone else is mostly restricted free agents like John wall and Greg Monroe. Then there's Lebron so who knows what he might do but I don't see him leaving south beach

Slug3
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Everyone takes a pay cut and he comes to Miami. Lol

PraiseJesus
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Boycott this FA talk untill at least the all star break of the NBA season

Crackadalic
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
players have taken pay-cuts to put themselves in position to win. both old and young MVP level players have done it. Duncan resigned for three years 30 million dollars, and LeBron James and Dwyane Wade both took 'max' deals starting at 14.5 million dollars in order to bring themselves together with Bosh; they all sacrificed. LBJ got paid 14.5 million dollars in his first year in Miami. think about that. Sacrifice is the name of the game.

If the Lakers trade Nash, and Bryant/Melo follow the lead of Duncan/James, relative to where they are in their careers LAL has the potential to surround them with two other max free agents.

Melo- 15 million
Max B- 15 million
Max C- 15 million
Kobe- 10 million.

that teams still ten million dollars under the salary cap. free agents would flock the LAL on discount to join this potential and LAL would fill out the rest of the roster nicely. even if you can only surround melo and kobe with one additional max free agent- that team with a nice bench would be more competitive than the knicks today, or next year, or the year after that. melo will be 31 by the time NYK has any cap space, is he willing to wait? you think he wants to be the only one of the big four from 2003 to retire ringless?

The only flaw in your argument is we don't know who is willing to take a massive pay cut to win. Lebron/wade/bosh was an extreme case of superstars doing that at there prime

AI
07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Hooray, another pointless "Melo is leaving" thread based on nothing but speculation.

AI
07-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Wrong. Amare expires next season, as does Bargnani, so he finally becomes a moveable contract (look at what the Jazz did for Biedrins, Jefferson, Rush; some team will be willing to take a gamble on him). As does everybody else on the Knicks roster except Felton, J.R., Shumpert and Hardaway Jr. who all make peanuts.

mexican dodger
07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
He might if kobe takes less and we could get a third star like Randolph

FOXHOUND
07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
This hype is all media fueled nonsense right now to create stories. I like that Stephen A. Smith had percentages to pull out of his behind already on this matter. It's 50-50 he leaves and 50-50 he goes to the Lakers? Oh, you mean nonsensical predictions that leave you to say you were right either way?

The only Carmelo Anthony issue I'm worried about is his contract. I'm hoping he opts in for his 2014-15 season so the team has about $50M in cap space for the 2015 FA class, and then he can sign his max deal after we pick up some good players (pleeeaaaase Marc Gasol :hope: ).

But then again he could opt out this year and look for his new deal after this season, being that being a year young helps guarantee that he gets the last max deal of his career to pay him until he's like 35 or whatever. That would also cut the teams cap space in half for the 2015 offseason, and pretty much destroy it as the team will have only 3 or 4 players signed and only $25M to play with making it harder to sign a max contract and then properly fill out the roster.

But yeah, Carmelo Anthony leaving NY to go to the Lakers? Keep dreaming, Lakers fans.

lakersiznumber1
07-09-2013, 02:30 PM

how will laker's be older only 2 players will most likely be back stop hating lol-reason why melo might come 2 la is

1 lakers will be the bigger spenders next year
2 melo and kobe are close
3 lala and anthony love the city of la

i don't see lbj coming to la but melo is a big possibility

D-Leethal
07-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Stephen A started this crap and everyone runs with it. Can't wait til Melo puts this to bed. Apparently he was telling 'sources close to Melo' were getting Rondo too.

This is nonsense.

Chronz
07-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Bron aint coming, get that pipe dream out yo head.

Melo would tho.

AI
07-09-2013, 02:35 PM
how will laker's be older only 2 players will most likely be back stop hating lol-reason why melo might come 2 la is

1 lakers will be the bigger spenders next year
2 melo and kobe are close
3 lala and anthony love the city of la

i don't see lbj coming to la but melo is a big possibility

1. Knicks will have enough $ for 3 max contracts in '15
2. Then Kobe is coming to NY right? I mean, him and Melo are buddies
3. Wrong, they love NY, Melo is from there, Lala wanted to live there, it's why Melo specifically wanted to play for the Knicks when he was going to be traded.

nycericanguy
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
whats not to get? steve nash is the only player on the books for the Lakers in 2014-2015. if they trade him they will literally have 100% cap space available going into 2014. what logical superstar wouldn't want to be the center piece of a Laker team with that much cap space? and if his best bud Kobe resigns on discount ala Tim Duncan, Melo can look forward to a Lakers team that can still add another max player or two and lots of other young talent around them.

wouldn't you say thats more enticing than the Knicks cap purgatory? the knicks wont have the kind of financial flexibility that LAL has until 2015-2016. until them, they're stuck in the middle of the eastern conference playoff pack.

lol o wow, 1 year later!

Not like the 2014 class is great... he'd have to wait 2-3 years for LA to really build something.

Knicks already have some young pieces in place, and they'll have bird rights to Tyson & Bargs.

Knicks are in a much better place than the Lakers right now for 2014-2015.

But anyway, this is just pure speculation based on nothing...

D-Leethal
07-09-2013, 02:40 PM
I honestly think Melo cares everybit as much as being a NY icon as he does being on a stacked favorite to win it all in a different city. He was born here, he has family here, he doesn't want to be hated here. He is not turning his back on NY and feeling the wrath of his hometown.

NYKnickFanatic
07-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Lol what, an extra year? Big deal. Knicks will have Amare, Tyson and Bargs coming off the books the same year. We will be able to make our own moves, whether Melo re-signs or goes elsewhere.

Also, to the people that are saying Melo will go to LA because him and Kobe want to play together, I could say the same **** and say Kobe will just come to NY...

c.c.
07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Spike Lee would hate him

Chronz
07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Wrong. Amare expires next season, as does Bargnani, so he finally becomes a moveable contract (look at what the Jazz did for Biedrins, Jefferson, Rush; some team will be willing to take a gamble on him). As does everybody else on the Knicks roster except Felton, J.R., Shumpert and Hardaway Jr. who all make peanuts.

What did the Jazz do for Rush and those other washed up players?

And Im pretty sure the Knicks dont have the Cap space until 15-16, 1 year after the Lakers can sign Melo.

AI
07-09-2013, 02:44 PM
lol o wow, 1 year later!

Not like the 2014 class is great... he'd have to wait 2-3 years for LA to really build something.

Knicks already have some young pieces in place, and they'll have bird rights to Tyson & Bargs.

Knicks are in a much better place than the Lakers right now for 2014-2015.

But anyway, this is just pure speculation based on nothing...

Wait, we'll have bird rights to Tyson and Bargs? So we could sign 3 max and bring them back using their bird rights?

Chronz
07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Also, to the people that are saying Melo will go to LA because him and Kobe want to play together, I could say the same **** and say Kobe will just come to NY...
How so? The Lakers have buttloads of cap space, the Knicks are stuck with these contracts for another year. If your either of these guys, whats so appealing about NY by comparison?

D-Leethal

And Im pretty sure the Knicks dont have the Cap space until 15-16, 1 year after the Lakers can sign Melo.

He can join an empty cupboard in 2014 with LA, or he can pick up his 24M option, ride out another season in NY and let us pair 2 more max with him here, along Shump + Hardaway and probably his best friend in the league in JR.

Chronz
Wait, we'll have bird rights to Tyson and Bargs? So we could sign 3 max and bring them back using their bird rights?
No. only way they come back is by accepting the min.

D-Leethal
07-09-2013, 02:47 PM
How so? The Lakers have buttloads of cap space, the Knicks are stuck with these contracts for another year. If your either of these guys, whats so appealing about NY by comparison?

Knicks will have the large majority of their 50-55 win team in place (as opposed to an empty cupboard in LA) with the ability to go shopping in a much deeper FA pool.

AI
07-09-2013, 02:48 PM

It was a solid deal for Utah but let's not act as if any of those players the Jazz acquired offer the same high-reward that a healthy Amare in what would be a contract year would. Some team might think he's worth the gamble.

Lakers can only sign Melo if he opts out, no such indication has been given. It's all speculation from the media and everybody is eating it up as if it were a fact. And wow, 1 year later the Knicks can have a much better cap situation plus a much better supporting cast, 1 year, what an eternity.

Chronz
07-09-2013, 02:48 PM
He can join an empty cupboard in 2014 with LA, or he can pick up his 24M option, ride out another season in NY and let us pair 2 more max with him here, along Shump + Hardaway and probably his best friend in the league in JR.
Who would Kobe have to recruit to make LA more appealing for Melo? Say 1 other FA from the same class.

D-Leethal
07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
And if the Lakers wouldn't ditch D'Antoni for Dwight, what makes you guys think they will do it for a prayer at signing Melo?

2-ONE-5
07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
this cant wait til NEXT season?

Chronz
07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I honestly think Melo cares everybit as much as being a NY icon as he does being on a stacked favorite to win it all in a different city. He was born here, he has family here, he doesn't want to be hated here. He is not turning his back on NY and feeling the wrath of his hometown.

Thats true, lest we forget how he got to NY in the first place.

But feelings can change and LA shines almost as brightly as NY does. I dont think it would take much to get him to LA if NY doesn't right this ship.

And if the Lakers wouldn't ditch D'Antoni for Dwight, what makes you guys think they will do it for a prayer at signing Melo?

lol I honestly forget this guy is still the coach...... Lakers have lost their way.

FOXHOUND
07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
No. only way they come back is by accepting the min.

Bird Rights.

But at that point I don't think Tyson will be that good anymore anyways, and who knows what we'll get with Bargnani at this point.

There's one FA in the 2015 I'm mainly interested in, one Marc Gasol. There's also Lamarcus Aldridge, and Tony Parker may leave I supposed if Pop really does retire with Timmy, which I imagine at the latest will be after the 2014-15 season. Parker did have interest coming here a couple of years ago, really wouldn't be surprised to see him come here to join Melo and Gasol/Aldridge if that were to happen.

Parker
Shumpert
Melo
Bargnani ( :p )
Gasol
6th - JR
7th - Timmy Jr.
2015 pick used on a PF

lol, gotta love extremely early speculation.

AI
07-09-2013, 02:53 PM
this cant wait til NEXT season?

Apparently it's a foregone conclusion that Melo will opt out and go to the Lakers because ZOMG I can't wait to play with a 40 year old Kobe and 1 other FA instead of making his $24M in 2014 with the NYK then cashing in in '15 when the Knicks can bring in two max players along with having a good supporting cast still in place.

Also, people fail to realize that Melo is the king of New York, the Knicks are his team, he is the face of the franchise. He is from New York, his wife wants to live there, he forced his way to play with New York. He is not bolting, even though everybody wants him too.

lamzoka
07-09-2013, 02:53 PM
its crazy how PSD were like melo is overrated. he's not a winner. he's doesnt do this, he doesnt do that.
now he's about to be a free agent and ya all on his d1ck.

if he leaves NY (which is not going to happen), you guys goona make him the second best player in the league behind lebron. SMFH

D-Leethal
07-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Who would Kobe have to recruit to make LA more appealing for Melo? Say 1 other FA from the same class.

If the NBA was conducted in a vacuum, and nothing off the court mattered, maybe I'd agree (probably still wouldn't).

Melo already forced himself into an empty cupboard and we weren't able to put a decent team around him for 2 years. Why would he do that again with a 36 year old? Melo loves the city, his wife works here, his best friend works here, he loves Dolan, he loves being 'the man', and I honestly think winning on a stacked team comes secondary to all those things when it comes to Melo.

Lets talk when Kobe recruits this second FA. Until than this stuff is straight nonsense.

AI
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Let's talk when Melo opts out, no such indication that he is going to do so has been given. Stephen A. Smith started this nonsense by saying it was 50-50 in order to get attention/listeners. I mean 50-50? Really? He leaves, I was right, he stays, I was right. Way to be bold.

Riodagoat
07-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Who gives a ****? He will never win a championship no matter which team he goes to.

NYKnickFanatic
07-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Who gives a ****? He will never win a championship no matter which team he goes to.

'Merica!

LakersMaster24
07-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I doubt he comes here. Only chance is if LeBron comes and even then it'd be a longshot. Not financially because we can get both, but I just don't see LBJ leaving.

Heck, in all truth I just don't see Melo leaving the Knicks. He wanted in there, and I think he'll end his career there

Of course you doubt he comes here. Negative Nancy Shep continues his parade. :pity:

Sandman
07-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Who is this Max fellow everybody seems to want?

shep33
07-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Of course you doubt he comes here. Negative Nancy Shep continues his parade. :pity:

Dude, he forced his way to New York, he's the biggest basketball star in the city, it just seems very unlikely he'd leave. Knicks can sign a high quality free agent in 2015 as well

bucketss
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
i wonder how many knick fans care? dude is a cancer, and they deserve better!

koreancabbage
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
its crazy how PSD were like melo is overrated. he's not a winner. he's doesnt do this, he doesnt do that.
now he's about to be a free agent and ya all on his d1ck.

if he leaves NY (which is not going to happen), you guys goona make him the second best player in the league behind lebron. SMFH

he was overrated in Denver and he is still overrated in New York.

Noone will say he 2nd best behind Lebron unless he starts getting deep into the playoffs consistently.

now if he went to another team and did that - he could be. i mean, what has he done in NY? and what has NY done?

AI
07-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Excuse him for having common sense.

AI
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
he was overrated in Denver and he is still overrated in New York.

Noone will say he 2nd best behind Lebron unless he starts getting deep into the playoffs consistently.

now if he went to another team and did that - he could be. i mean, what has he done in NY? and what has NY done?

He took Indiana, the same team that forced Miami to 7 games in the ECF, to 6 games by himself. Melo doesn't have a Wade or Bosh on his team, he has J.R. Smith who would be the Knicks version of Ray Allen off the bench, and the walking injury plague that is Amare Stoudemire.

To say that he's overrated is just stupid, he just doesn't have the help that some of these other "superteams" have. He has good role players in Felton, Shump and Chandler but he's not winning with that unless he goes absolutely crazy in the playoffs like Dirk did when he won with the Mavs. Hell, even Lebron couldn't win by himself in Cleveland with comparable role players and he's the best player in the world.

Lake_Show2416
07-09-2013, 07:49 PM
if the Knicks under perform again Melo is gone cuz im sure he still wants to win & LA has all the glam he & his wife likes, Melo is great friends with Kobe & the Lakers will have no1 under the salary cap so they'll have the potential to put together a superteam which would b attractive for all high profile free agents

UPRock
07-09-2013, 07:55 PM
There's no way he leaves New York.

justinnum1
07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
great news for the knicks

FYL_McVeezy
07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Lock the thread.....

there is nothing in this god awful article from Melo even stating he would test FA, let alone openly walk.

NY Post just needs some hits on their site because it's the offseason

AI
07-09-2013, 08:02 PM
if the Knicks under perform again Melo is gone cuz im sure he still wants to win & LA has all the glam he & his wife likes, Melo is great friends with Kobe & the Lakers will have no1 under the salary cap so they'll have the potential to put together a superteam which would b attractive for all high profile free agents

Knicks will be able to do the same 1 year later and have the much better supporting cast. Laker fans need to stoo being such giant homers. Glam? Yeah, living in New York must suck. It's not like Melo is from there, or like he forced his way to New York because it's where he and his family want to live. Silly me for using logic.

deftonesrule
07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
i don't see melo leaving unless next season is a complete meltdown. He gave up a lot leaving denver and said he wanted to be a knick. He basically got his way through a massive trade deal that he insisted on. I just don't see it. Who knows really.

Kashmir13579
07-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Jesus, who gives a ****, really?

ThuglifeJ
07-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Remember when the Lakers got prime Pau Gasol for a unknown-at-the-time Marc Gasol nearly straight up?

The Lakers rack in so much money for the league... You already know the Lakers are getting something soon

Green_Monster
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
He has an ETO and the NY Post wrote a puffery article based on the words "may" and "could".

Shoddy journalism.

Exactly, everyone knows he could leave the Knicks. Who cares, it's all speculation. We've had like three threads on Carmelo possibly leaving the past couple days. This really isn't thread worthy, and will soon get off topic.

Aust
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
I doubt he comes. Don't really want him anyways.

jezzyman05
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Melo- 15 million
Max B- 15 million
Max C- 15 million
Kobe- 10 million.

First of all what every laker fan seems to forget is the massive Tax starting this year.

The only reason why LeBron would opt out is the either restructure his deal (in order to maximize his next contract while he is still in his prime) or to be in position to win with a better situation than Miami is currently. The laker even with all the cap space will still need to put a team together that won't be easy to do when you could potentially have 15 roster spots to fill..it creates a level of uncertainly and one that LeBron or Carmelo will buy into.

Now according to your scenario, you stated that the Lakers can potentially sign three max player guys and start them at 14 million a year sounds good however what happens when those contracts start increasing, especially in year two and three when the 14 million in the first year has to be leveled out and that the increment is 20% that 14 million just became 18-19 million because on a max deal its 4 year 88 million you pay 14 on the first year, the total will jump to 20 million the next then 26 million and 26 million (according to your logic).

The Nets are currently paying 80 million in taxes next season it will jump due to the repeat offender so next season if they keep the same roster it could be more thn their current salary....that's not good business.

And if it dosent work out with the three max deals then your stuck with it for the next four years...

The Lakers should just try and get as high draft pick as they can next year, resign Gasol and Kobe and then, depending on the salary of Gasol and Kobe may add a max player to lead the team moving forward...that would be smart.

OceanSpray
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Carmelo Anthony is everything that is wrong with the NBA. He can't even get out of the second round and continues wanting to switch things around when things go wrong. And why is everyone forgetting that LAL only have Nash through the 14-15 season? Everyone - including Kobe, won't be a part of their salary.

AI
07-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Carmelo Anthony is everything that is wrong with the NBA. He can't even get out of the second round and continues wanting to switch things around when things go wrong. And why is everyone forgetting that LAL only have Nash through the 14-15 season? Everyone - including Kobe, won't be a part of their salary.

MELO HAS GIVEN NO SUCH INDICATION THAT HE WILL OPT OUT OR LEAVE NEW YORK, THIS IS ALL MEDIA BASED SPECULATION IN ORDER TO GET SOME ATTENTION/VIEWS/LISTENERS.

Understand now?

OceanSpray
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
MELO HAS GIVEN NO SUCH INDICATION THAT HE WILL OPT OUT OR LEAVE NEW YORK, THIS IS ALL MEDIA BASED SPECULATION IN ORDER TO GET SOME ATTENTION/VIEWS/LISTENERS.

Understand now?

Then this thread needs to be closed, got it? Maybe you don't understand that it's against the rules to post misleading information and that's what I got from this thread.

Aust
07-09-2013, 08:37 PM
And why is everyone forgetting that LAL only have Nash through the 14-15 season? Everyone - including Kobe, won't be a part of their salary.

That's a good thing! Lakers with cap space, yum.

Sandman
07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Kevin Durant signs with Jay-Z, may be heading to NY

Love doesn't like being the only Kevin in Minnesota, could request trade to NY

GiantsSwaGG
07-09-2013, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't lose any sleep if he left

Lakers + Giants
07-10-2013, 12:15 AM
No thanks, don't want Melo.

NYSpirit1
07-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Do people realize that Melo is eligible to make almost 25 mil a year? Kobe makes 30. They'll barely have room for two of them - let alone a third star.

sunsfan88
07-10-2013, 01:00 AM
There's as much chance of a Kobe-Melo duo being successful as there is the chance that I get laid by Kate Upton.

AI
07-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Do people realize that Melo is eligible to make almost 25 mil a year? Kobe makes 30. They'll barely have room for two of them - let alone a third star.

Kobe expires after this season, still, Melo has given no such indication that he will exercise his ETO. This has all been media created nonsense with no facts to back it up, it's 100% speculative.

smood999
07-10-2013, 01:09 AM
I would believe this more if the Knicks salary cap situation was going to be this way for a long time...the very next season after the Knicks will be in the same position as the Lakers as far as cap room.

bucketss
07-10-2013, 01:11 AM

who in their right mind would give melo 25 mill :facepalm:

uprightciti
07-10-2013, 01:19 AM
This is all hype frow that ****ing hack Marc Berman with Stephen A Smith backing him up...****ing ********! The lakers are just butt hurt that Dwight left. If anything Kobe could come to NYC and admit that he is done. Amare is a huge expiring next year and anyone who wants massive cap relief and a big man that might get you 20/10 games there you have it.

5ass
07-10-2013, 01:22 AM
who in their right mind would give melo 25 mill :facepalm:
Gilbert arenas will make 22 mill from the magic next year.

soundjunkies2
07-10-2013, 01:26 AM
He might opt out just to resign for more years to protect himself long term.

AI
07-10-2013, 01:31 AM
He might opt out just to resign for more years to protect himself long term.

He doesn't have to opt out. Makes more sense to stay in his current contract, allow the team to sign two max players in 2015 then re-sign in NY using his bird rights.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 01:55 AM
It was a solid deal for Utah but let's not act as if any of those players the Jazz acquired offer the same high-reward that a healthy Amare in what would be a contract year would. Some team might think he's worth the gamble.
Solid deal for Utah? Not in my opinion, it was a meh deal, not seeing the relevance to the reference.

Lakers can only sign Melo if he opts out, no such indication has been given. It's all speculation from the media and everybody is eating it up as if it were a fact. And wow, 1 year later the Knicks can have a much better cap situation plus a much better supporting cast, 1 year, what an eternity.
Of course its speculation, lol, what else would we be discussing in a thread like this. And the fact is, the Knicks wont have a better CAP situation, the Lakers literally have 1 player signed and I think his contract might fall under the stretch provision. That 1 year is what gives the Lakers the window, and thus the rampant speculation will exist until Melo signs an extension. Its just the nature of the beast.

Knicks will have the large majority of their 50-55 win team in place (as opposed to an empty cupboard in LA) with the ability to go shopping in a much deeper FA pool.
LA's empty cupboard is the draw tho. But lets not kid ourselves, its still Kobe-Nash-Pau on the team when they reload. Add another max player and you got yourself a promising run but I wouldn't put it past Melo to turn it down and remain a Knick. Seems like he loves playing there more than anything else.

We'll see what kind of season this core has

KnickaBocka.44
07-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Solid deal for Utah? Not in my opinion, it was a meh deal, not seeing the relevance to the reference.

Of course its speculation, lol, what else would we be discussing in a thread like this. And the fact is, the Knicks wont have a better CAP situation, the Lakers literally have 1 player signed and I think his contract might fall under the stretch provision. That 1 year is what gives the Lakers the window, and thus the rampant speculation will exist until Melo signs an extension. Its just the nature of the beast.

LA's empty cupboard is the draw tho. But lets not kid ourselves, its still Kobe-Nash-Pau on the team when they reload. Add another max player and you got yourself a promising run but I wouldn't put it past Melo to turn it down and remain a Knick. Seems like he loves playing there more than anything else.

We'll see what kind of season this core has

You're talking about a 40 year old, a 34 year old, and a 35 year old. Two of them just had injury riddled, disappointing seasons and the other went out with an achilles injury. When you factor in that we dont know what Kobe will be contributing, it's not as enticing a situation as you make it seem.

The cap situations are pretty much the same, the Knicks will only have about 6 or 7 committed at the time, big difference is that its a year later.

kblo247
07-10-2013, 02:21 AM
This is because Kobe and Melo were seen at a resort together after Dwight left. Kobe loves his brother Melo, has never stated other wise

Bostonjorge
07-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Kobe, melo and lebron will all meet up next summer and talk about it at the very least.

AI
07-10-2013, 02:47 AM

They got 2 firsts and 2 seconds for absorbing 3 expiring contracts. How is that not a good deal for a rebuilding team? Reference was, that if Golden State was able to shed all that money for 3 below-average players, then the Knicks will probably be able to find a team willing to absorb Amare's expiring with the notion that he'd be playing in a contract year and is a good player when healthy. It's a risky move, but offers high-reward should it work out.

Aust
07-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Kobe, melo and lebron will all meet up next summer and talk about it at the very least.

They will?

Sandman
07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
They got 2 firsts and 2 seconds for absorbing 3 expiring contracts. How is that not a good deal for a rebuilding team? Reference was, that if Golden State was able to shed all that money for 3 below-average players, then the Knicks will probably be able to find a team willing to absorb Amare's expiring with the notion that he'd be playing in a contract year and is a good player when healthy. It's a risky move, but offers high-reward should it work out.
People forget too that teams need to be at 90% of the cap to receive revenue sharing from the luxury tax. Win-win for Utah

J4KOP99
07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
This is because Kobe and Melo were seen at a resort together after Dwight left. Kobe loves his brother Melo, has never stated other wise

When was this?

Iron24th
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Maybe because in 2014 all our contracts come off the book (except nash who will probably be traded before) and we'll have all the cap space of the world to buy as much young legs as we want :rolleyes:

J4KOP99
07-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I doubt he leaves ny. But he and Kobe are good friends and the lakers can offer him a ton of money.

In all honesty, if he wants a max deal, I hope the lakers have the intelligence to turn away and go to the next guy.

However, for the right price, I would love to watch melo in purple and gold

Statik1
07-10-2013, 10:06 AM
So... Melo is going to come to the Lakers while Mike D'Antoni is the coach.... Ask the Knicks how Melo and Pringles got along

GiantsSwaGG
07-10-2013, 10:07 AM
No thanks, don't want Melo.

You can have and I'm being serious. I want Love, Rondo and Gasol

TheIlladelph16
07-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I keep hearing Lakers fans refer to all this cap space to sign three max players after next season.... I'm confused as to who the hell the max players are that they plan on surrounding Melo with that would even entice him to go there. You think Melo is gonna pick up and leave for 35 year old Kobe coming off of Achilles surgery (something I swear 99% of Lakers fans forget happened) and the promise of some mediocre-type "max" players?

Until the Lakers actually put some young, talented pieces on there to play with, I don't see a guy like Lebron or Melo going there.

Gibby23
07-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Let's talk when Melo opts out, no such indication that he is going to do so has been given. Stephen A. Smith started this nonsense by saying it was 50-50 in order to get attention/listeners. I mean 50-50? Really? He leaves, I was right, he stays, I was right. Way to be bold.

Im not saying he is going to LA, but why would he opt in? It makes the most sense for him to opt out and sign another Max contract instead of playing on a 1 year deal and risk getting hurt.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 11:29 AM
They got 2 firsts and 2 seconds for absorbing 3 expiring contracts. How is that not a good deal for a rebuilding team?
The concept is sound, the execution was lacking and its because of the price they paid (check out what late first rounders have gone for in the past) and that they pretty much tied up all their cap space for what amounts to a hail mary hope that the first rounder in 2017 or whatever is worth all that cap they just tied up. Not to mention any potential trade they could have helped facilitate with such enormous cap space when trade season starts. I just think they played their hand too early and for not a big enough of a pay day.

Reference was, that if Golden State was able to shed all that money for 3 below-average players, then the Knicks will probably be able to find a team willing to absorb Amare's expiring with the notion that he'd be playing in a contract year and is a good player when healthy. It's a risky move, but offers high-reward should it work out.
So the allure for Melo is that the Knicks can unload Amare (the year hes suppose to expire, thus the year after Melo can potentially opt out) and in return net him some draft picks?

I dont see anyone giving anything of tangible value for Amare.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
You're talking about a 40 year old, a 34 year old, and a 35 year old. Two of them just had injury riddled, disappointing seasons and the other went out with an achilles injury. When you factor in that we dont know what Kobe will be contributing, it's not as enticing a situation as you make it seem.

The cap situations are pretty much the same, the Knicks will only have about 6 or 7 committed at the time, big difference is that its a year later.
We will have half a season to see Kobe's rehabbed game and wasn't Melo surrounded by old guys in NY? Nash and Pau will still be valuable role players IMO, the cap space is the means for the infusion of talent. Melo can recruit anyone else he wants to come to LA. But yes, I would imagine this plan gos to **** if Kobe isn't playing at least at an All-Star level.

shep33
07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
If Kobe took the min next year -Lakers could pay two players $20 mil each - and still afford a $16 mil player in 2015 latimes.com/sports/lakersn…

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2YesNfvBI

Haha that would be insane. Kobe, LeBron, Melo and one of Rondo, Marc Gasol or Kevin Love (at a paycut)

Very unlikely, but pretty crazy that it's even possible

Stinkyoutsider
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I honestly don't think Melo is leaving NY. He's comfortable there? Being at home, playing for Mike Woodson, being the main guy in one of the biggest markets in the world...

I think Melo does have an agenda though as far as a team. He wants some help there too but I don't think he's going to give NY up over it.

And, knowing that Melo is the main draw for the Knicks, it would be a good business decision to make him happy.

Federal Reserve
07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
No one wants to play with Kobe -- and you can't blame anyone. I wouldn't want to play with a guy who can do no wrong. He is an ex-criminal (the charge was dropped?) who has never shown any appreciation to any of his teammates. It's just a game, Kobe. Take it easy and have some fun, instead of whining and pointing fingers.

shep33
07-10-2013, 12:29 PM
It would have to be a disaster year for Melo to leave. Like a first round exit or something.

LeBron? Long shot, they'll be contending again. Though if Wade and Bosh opt in, you have to wonder how long that window will be open for

Chronz
07-10-2013, 12:45 PM
People forget too that teams need to be at 90% of the cap to receive revenue sharing from the luxury tax. Win-win for Utah
People apparently forget you dont need to be at the tax floor to start the year and that the cost of reaching that floor isn't the same for every team. (Look at Philly for example).

Philly is going the opposite route, saving that money in hopes of acquiring assets at market value rather than the exorbitant price Utah paid for meh assets.

todu82
07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah, don't think Melo's leaving the Knicks at all. He'll sign there long term during the 2013-2014 season IMO.

shep33
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah, don't think Melo's leaving the Knicks at all. He'll sign there long term during the 2013-2014 season IMO.

I'd think so too

KnickaBocka.44
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I really dont understand how this is still open.

Sandman
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
People apparently forget you dont need to be at the tax floor to start the year and that the cost of reaching that floor isn't the same for every team. (Look at Philly for example).

Philly is going the opposite route, saving that money in hopes of acquiring assets at market value rather than the exorbitant price Utah paid for meh assets.
They received picks to take that on now instead of having to pursue later at an unkown cost. Plus they would need to add even bigger salaries to reach the 90% goal mid season because the contracts will be half paid out. Its not like they can add guys at the deadline and count their whole 13-14 salary, only the salary they pay them for the rest of the season counts toward that 90%.

Also this is a unique opportunity, who is going to give you 2 1st round picks to pay a guy for half a season? Only a team looking to sign a guy at that instant will do that. Mid season you're either looking at giving something up for an expiring deal or trading a TPE for a multi year contract somebody doesn't want and hoping you can still get picks back.

Also Why wouldn't Utah be in the position to make trades mid-season? They just picked up draft picks and expirings.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
They received picks to take that on now instead of having to pursue later at an unkown cost. Plus they would need to add even bigger salaries to reach the 90% goal mid season because the contracts will be half paid out. Its not like they can add guys at the deadline and count their whole 13-14 salary, only the salary they pay them for the rest of the season counts toward that 90%.
You sure about that one? And that unknown cost is usually lower than the premium Utah paid. Teams have literally bought picks in exchange for nothing (personnel wise) at a lower cost than Utah paid.

Also this is a unique opportunity, who is going to give you 2 1st round picks to pay a guy for half a season? Only a team looking to sign a guy at that instant will do that. Mid season you're either looking at giving something up for an expiring deal or trading a TPE for a multi year contract somebody doesn't want and hoping you can still get picks back.
We'll see how unique it was, plenty of teams have been able to land assets midseason simply by helping other teams get deals done. But your right about it being a risk one way or another, this was a deal that they jumped on now, and historically speaking, they overpaid for the picks, the only way its a clear win is if no other deal emerges and that really late pick ends up a good one.

Also Why wouldn't Utah be in the position to make trades mid-season? They just picked up draft picks and expirings.

Because they cant facilitate trades.

D-Leethal
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I really dont understand how this is still open.

It gives people a chance to bash the Knicks - for this reason alone this will always stay open.

AI
07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I doubt he leaves ny. But he and Kobe are good friends and the lakers can offer him a ton of money.

In all honesty, if he wants a max deal, I hope the lakers have the intelligence to turn away and go to the next guy.

However, for the right price, I would love to watch melo in purple and gold

Im not saying he is going to LA, but why would he opt in? It makes the most sense for him to opt out and sign another Max contract instead of playing on a 1 year deal and risk getting hurt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/46600/more-money-for-melo-in-new-york

Simple. He'll earn much more money in New York, play for the team he wants to play for and the team will still be able to give him help via 2 max contracts in 2015 plus they'll still have bird rights on Chandler and Bargnani and a good supporting cast in Felton, Shumpert, J.R. and Hardaway Jr under contract. Melo is not stupid, he said all along that it would take time, he will not bolt when that time finally arrives.

So the allure for Melo is that the Knicks can unload Amare (the year hes suppose to expire, thus the year after Melo can potentially opt out) and in return net him some draft picks?

I dont see anyone giving anything of tangible value for Amare.

Are you ********? Mentioning Amare has nothing to do with enticing Melo to stay, I was just responding to an earlier post that said he was "unmovable" stating that next year he becomes much more movable as an expiring (giving the Utah/Golden State deal as a reasonable example) and I could see a team willing to take a gamble on him. No correlation between Melo and this statement, they are not meant to be connected in any way. If you still don't understand, go back and actually read the thread.

And to answer your question, the allure of Melo staying in New York?

He can still earn his big salary in '14 with the Knicks then re-sign on a max deal in 2015 when the Knicks will be in position to add 2 max contracts to play with him. The allure would be to be the one who for the first time in years brings a championship to the city of New York. He is the face of the franchise, Knicks are his team, he is from New York, he forced his way to New York because he and his family wanted to live there.

Sandman
07-10-2013, 01:49 PM
You sure about that one? And that unknown cost is usually lower than the premium Utah paid. Teams have literally bought picks in exchange for nothing (personnel wise) at a lower cost than Utah paid.
What did Utah have to pay? They just had to take guys on.

The team payroll is not the same thing as the team salary. The team salary refers to the sum of the amounts applied to team salary, including each player's full salary (see question number 14 for a full list). The team payroll refers to the monies actually paid. For example, if a team trades a player midway through the season his salary comes off the team salary, but the money actually paid while he was a member of the team counts toward the team payroll.
(http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15)

We'll see how unique it was, plenty of teams have been able to land assets midseason simply by helping other teams get deals done. But your right about it being a risk one way or another, this was a deal that they jumped on now, and historically speaking, they overpaid for the picks, the only way its a clear win is if no other deal emerges and that really late pick ends up a good one.

Because they cant facilitate trades.
Facilitate how, do you mean by taking a guy on an extra guy as a 3-4th team for a TPE? I guess that leaves them out to an extent, but that deal still puts them at 51, almost exactly 10% under w/ 11 players. There's still a little wiggle room there for somebody to dump a player in a multi team deal.

AI
07-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Even if they are not able to facilitate any other deals, receiving the 4 picks (two 1sts and two 2nds) now was a coup for them. They are a rebuilding team and got 4 picks for absorbing "expiring contracts", this will have no effect on them going forward. Why wait towards the trade deadline? There is no certainty that another opportunity like this would have presented itself, so striking a deal now made perfect sense for Utah.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Bird Rights.
They dont work that way. Google the term Cap Holds.

NYKnickFanatic
07-10-2013, 02:18 PM
So Melo is leaving NY to go play for the Lakers with Kobe.

/thread.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Are you ********? Mentioning Amare has nothing to do with enticing Melo to stay, I was just responding to an earlier post that said he was "unmovable" stating that next year....

Just a thought, but if you plan on insulting someone, shouldn't you double check the facts? You know, by using quotations to actually quote what was said?

The post I quoted was in response to a poster who said the following:

Hes obviously comparing the salary between NYK and LAL, and hes hes right, the Knicks WITH Amare are screwed. Your rebuttal of moving Amare does NOTHING to suggest the Knicks have a friendlier cap situation than the Lakers. Its why I responded the way I did, I didn't see the point you were trying to make even if you did have a point, the Lakers still have a better cap situation.

he becomes much more movable as an expiring (giving the Utah/Golden State deal as a reasonable example) and I could see a team willing to take a gamble on him.
Thing is, even if you did that, your cap situation still stinks in comparison. What would that even free up? And I dont know if I would count on something like what Utah did, Im pretty sure the price they paid for future picks is the highest ever in terms of monetary value.

No correlation between Melo and this statement, they are not meant to be connected in any way. If you still don't understand, go back and actually read the thread.
This thread is about NY and LA luring MELO if he indeed opts out. Getting rid of Amare doesn't do much IMO. But feel free to show me the financials.

Ill recap the argument tho:

Wrong. Amare expires next season, as does Bargnani, so he finally becomes a moveable contract (look at what the Jazz did for Biedrins, Jefferson, Rush; some team will be willing to take a gamble on him). As does everybody else on the Knicks roster except Felton, J.R., Shumpert and Hardaway Jr. who all make peanuts.[/I][/B]
Sounds like your hoping for alot of movement of mammoth contracts in order to still have an inferior cap situation than LA.

And to answer your question, the allure of Melo staying in New York?

He can still earn his big salary in '14 with the Knicks then re-sign on a max deal in 2015 when the Knicks will be in position to add 2 max contracts to play with him. The allure would be to be the one who for the first time in years brings a championship to the city of New York. He is the face of the franchise, Knicks are his team, he is from New York, he forced his way to New York because he and his family wanted to live there.
So in other words, wait another year. I agree, all thats prolly the best NY can offer. Its between Home sweet home vs Historically elite franchise.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Even if they are not able to facilitate any other deals, receiving the 4 picks (two 1sts and two 2nds) now was a coup for them.
I disagree, it was an overpriced expenditure for middling picks and 1 unknown first rounder (because its soo far from now). I see no coup in comparison to what teams have historically paid for similar assets. I feel they cashed in too early and got too little in return. Again, the concept is sound, the execution was lacking.

They are a rebuilding team and got 4 picks for absorbing "expiring contracts", this will have no effect on them going forward. Why wait towards the trade deadline?
Because any time you're going above market value for assets with limited value and 1 unknown, its best to wait and see IMO. Ive seen far too many picks baught for far less to think this was a move that had to be done.

There is no certainty that another opportunity like this would have presented itself, so striking a deal now made perfect sense for Utah.
Not to me. I much prefer the route Philly has gone of taking the wait and see approach. I mean, lets be realistic, what are the chances that someone wont want to trade first rounders in order to do more than just dump expiring contracts?

AI
07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Once again, for the millionth time, the Lakers cap situation after this year is currently better (I've never stated otherwise, have simply stated on numerous occasions that long-term the Knicks are in a better situation) but the Knicks can offer the same thing a year later with a much better supporting cast. A whole year later, not a decade, not a century, only a year.

Larry Coon clearly states in the link I posted, Melo would be able to earn approximately $30M+ more by staying in NY. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Go ahead, fantasize about Melo or Lebron, whoever you want.

NYKnicks4511
07-10-2013, 02:42 PM
So in other words, wait another year. I agree, all thats prolly the best NY can offer. Its between Home sweet home vs Historically elite franchise.

More like home sweet home vs. recently inept franchise from top to bottom. Will be interesting though. I'd like to think he stays.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 02:53 PM
What did Utah have to pay? They just had to take guys on.
Just? Thats the price they had to pay in order to get these picks. This is what Pelton had to say on the trade:

The $24 million in contracts is a remarkable amount to swallow, and the return for that seems relatively paltry. Historically, that's about twice as much money as teams have taken on for first-round picks. The Jazz seem to be banking on the chance that the unprotected picks will land higher than expected. Next year's pick looks likely to end up in the early 20s -- about the same as the pick Utah got from the Warriors this year, via the Deron Williams trade. The second pick has major upside because 2017 is too far out to predict. But if it ends up in the 20s, the Jazz will end up with relatively little to show for taking on so much salary.

Teams buy first rounders, 2nd rounders all the time without having to devote so much cap space. Teams also acquire additional assets before the trade deadline. Its just a difference of preference, you like what they did, I would have liked my team to wait. The assets gained dont offset the risk IMO. I dont know what other way I can say that, suffice it to say, this is far from a home run.

The team payroll is not the same thing as the team salary. The team salary refers to the sum of the amounts applied to team salary, including each player's full salary (see question number 14 for a full list). The team payroll refers to the monies actually paid. For example, if a team trades a player midway through the season his salary comes off the team salary, but the money actually paid while he was a member of the team counts toward the team payroll.
(http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15)
Thx for the clarification. What about them not getting any of the tax payer money?

Facilitate how, do you mean by taking a guy on an extra guy as a 3-4th team for a TPE? I guess that leaves them out to an extent, but that deal still puts them at 51, almost exactly 10% under w/ 11 players. There's still a little wiggle room there for somebody to dump a player in a multi team deal.
I know I said Ive seen it happen alot but I cant for the life of me remember any situation that Im talking about. Oblique trades involving faceless draft picks dont stick in memory but Im positive that Ive seen better deals done mid season. Ill try to scrummage something if you wish but I hope you see the other side of the coin regardless.

The only way I will score this a sure fire win for Utah is if the pick ends up being a good one or if Brandon Rush recovers and winds up a decent asset for the Jazz.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Once again, for the millionth time, the Lakers cap situation after this year is currently better (I've never stated otherwise, have simply stated on numerous occasions that long-term the Knicks are in a better situation) but the Knicks can offer the same thing a year later with a much better supporting cast. A whole year later, not a decade, not a century, only a year.

Larry Coon clearly states in the link I posted, Melo would be able to earn approximately $30M+ more by staying in NY. Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Go ahead, fantasize about Melo or Lebron, whoever you want.

Im not a Lakers fan. Nor would I fantasize about Melo being on my team. This is just about the allure of switching markets. I understand both sides, I honestly dont know which would be the better option but if you're Melo, you have to at least consider the possibility.... unless all he cares about is being home, which would be fine. Far be it for me to set his priorities.

Chronz
07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
More like home sweet home vs. recently inept franchise from top to bottom. Will be interesting though. I'd like to think he stays.
So the luster of that championship is already gone? Is it the death of Buss that would have you questioning the Lakers ability to rebuild?

Bostonjorge
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
LA is going to have a crazy summer in 2014. Melo and kobe on same team is to much fire power for any team to handle. Also I can see other stars trying to make there way to LA.

AI
07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Fantasize part wasn't directed at you, you're a Clippers fan if I'm not mistaken. It was for everybody else in here stating that it's a foregone conclusion that Melo would leave New York to play with a 40 year old Kobe and 50 year old Nash because New York is in "financial hell" when in reality they'll be in the better position a year later (can offer the same 2 max contract scenario and still have a solid supporting cast).

Sandman
07-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Just? Thats the price they had to pay in order to get these picks. This is what Pelton had to say on the trade:

The $24 million in contracts is a remarkable amount to swallow, and the return for that seems relatively paltry. Historically, that's about twice as much money as teams have taken on for first-round picks. The Jazz seem to be banking on the chance that the unprotected picks will land higher than expected. Next year's pick looks likely to end up in the early 20s -- about the same as the pick Utah got from the Warriors this year, via the Deron Williams trade. The second pick has major upside because 2017 is too far out to predict. But if it ends up in the 20s, the Jazz will end up with relatively little to show for taking on so much salary.

Teams buy first rounders, 2nd rounders all the time without having to devote so much cap space. Teams also acquire additional assets before the trade deadline. Its just a difference of preference, you like what they did, I would have liked my team to wait. The assets gained dont offset the risk IMO. I dont know what other way I can say that, suffice it to say, this is far from a home run.

Thx for the clarification. What about them not getting any of the tax payer money?

Gotcha.

As far as the tax payer money -- I've seen two different things now. One is that if you are under 90% you don't get a share of the money, the other is that if you are under 90% at the end of the season you have to pay the difference to your players. Either way it sounds like anything under 52m is house money.

I know I said Ive seen it happen alot but I cant for the life of me remember any situation that Im talking about. Oblique trades involving faceless draft picks dont stick in memory but Im positive that Ive seen better deals done mid season. Ill try to scrummage something if you wish but I hope you see the other side of the coin regardless.

The only way I will score this a sure fire win for Utah is if the pick ends up being a good one or if Brandon Rush recovers and winds up a decent asset for the Jazz.
Nah I know what you're talking about, random guys in a 2-3 team deal that just need to be parked somewhere so a team with cap space comes in with a TPE.

JordansBulls
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Bulls need to go full blast in this.

NYKnicks4511
07-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Oh please. It's not Dr. Buss' death, it's the ineptitude of his son that's going to run their franchise into the ground. This is a common opinion around the league. They need Jeanie to run the show.

Jarvo
07-16-2013, 04:29 PM
In NBA 2K he goes to The Lakers lol

Gibby23
07-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh please. It's not Dr. Buss' death, it's the ineptitude of his son that's going to run their franchise into the ground. This is a common opinion around the league. They need Jeanie to run the show.

So what have the Knicks done since the 70's? Who ran them into the ground and why isn't anyone able to fix this problem.

Bostonjorge
07-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Melo will leave NY to finally play with another superstar. Maybe even the 2 biggest in the league.

NYKnicks4511
07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
So what have the Knicks done since the 70's? Who ran them into the ground and why isn't anyone able to fix this problem.

I never compared the teams' respective histories, the Lakers obviously trump the Knicks in every way. However, Melo isn't going back in time to play with Jerry West or a young Kobe.

Simply put, the Knicks are on the upswing, whereas the Lakers are older, and aren't in a position to legitimately compete for a championship. Plus, it'd be easier for Melo to get to a finals in the East as opposed to the West.

AI
07-16-2013, 05:09 PM

Why the hell would you bump this thread? Let it go man.

NYKnicks4511
07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Because I want to talk about it. Deal.

Munkeysuit
07-16-2013, 07:24 PM
No ones heading to the Lakers while Kobe is on his way out AND they have Pringles at the helm.
With that being said, I see Melo possibly joining CP3 and Blake Griffin to form a super team of their own.

static_inferno
07-16-2013, 07:33 PM
All speculation at this point. Maybe he sees LA as a fresh start since he will be the new franchise player when Kobe retires. That said, however, as a Laker fan I don't want Melo. He'll be 30 next year, and although that is a prime age, I think the Lakers would be smarter to just re-sign Kobe and Pau to 2-3 year contracts at $10 mil a season and wait until 2015 when Rondo, Love, and Marc Gasol become unrestricted free agents.

Bostonjorge
07-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Melo is great and lakers would be lucky to have him. He will go to LA to form a big 3 there.

mrblisterdundee
07-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Carmelo Anthony, like Mike D'Antoni, will never win a championship, unless he's the second or third banana. And by that I mean Mike D'Antoni would have to be nothing more than an offensive coordinator.

mrblisterdundee
07-17-2013, 12:00 AM
No ones heading to the Lakers while Kobe is on his way out AND they have Pringles at the helm.
With that being said, I see Melo possibly joining CP3 and Blake Griffin to form a super team of their own.

What about Houston? It has cap flexibility and assets to trade, including a popular former New York point guard.
How about something along the lines of Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons for Carmelo Anthony. Then just fill it out with role players, picks, expiring contracts and cash. New York can finally admit that it's not a contender and start the rebuilding process with at least Iman Shumpert, Lin, Asik and Parsons.

Max.This
07-17-2013, 12:08 AM
What about Houston? It has cap flexibility and assets to trade, including a popular former New York point guard.
How about something along the lines of Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons for Carmelo Anthony. Then just fill it out with role players, picks, expiring contracts and cash. New York can finally admit that it's not a contender and start the rebuilding process with at least Iman Shumpert, Lin, Asik and Parsons.

If houston threw in draft picks that would be worth looking at. I dont see houston giving up parsons considering he fits pretty well with harden.

shep33
07-17-2013, 12:33 AM

Houston could do it, but that team would have chemistry issues galore. Dwight becomes the 3rd option? Sometimes 4th option if Parsons is still there?

Also, I highly doubt Morey would want it to happen. Luxury tax is effecting teams. Owners don't want to be deep in the tax (outside of Proky).

Joker117
07-17-2013, 01:19 AM

As a f/a maybe but we wouldn't take Lin ..

We have so much cap room in 2015 good luck out bidding us in anyone .. We'll have 23$ mill gone in stat (amare ). 10.5 mill gone in bargnani , and 11$mill? Gone in Tc .. Never mind Iman needing to be resigned .. Jr probably gone by then and metta .. Oh and. Pablo prigs all gone among others lol

Our roster looks like - Felton at around 4 mill (pg) , Timmy hardaway (rookie contract) , I'm forgetting some one at least. But we don't go over like 15 mill haha ..

We'd have lost over 60 mill in cap space (or gained it really ..)and melo .. And he may come back just opt out for a new contract ..

Munkeysuit
07-17-2013, 06:53 AM

That would be a very interesting destination for Melo and there would be no doubt he'd love to be there, but the problemo is Dwight, I am not so sure he would welcome a player like Melo, seeing as how Melo is a ball stopper. Another reason why I don't see Melo there to Houston is because they need more defensive minded players, they have enough offense and should be at the top of the heap in PPG next season.

BklynKnicks3
07-17-2013, 08:55 AM
that is pure garbage in return. Id rather melo just leave then have any o fthose players on my team. IOnly deal for melo would have harden in it. For the record melo will retire a knick.
That would be a very interesting destination for Melo and there would be no doubt he'd love to be there, but the problemo is Dwight, I am not so sure he would welcome a player like Melo, seeing as how Melo is a ball stopper. Another reason why I don't see Melo there to Houston is because they need more defensive minded players, they have enough offense and should be at the top of the heap in PPG next season.

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2013, 10:34 PM
that is pure garbage in return. Id rather melo just leave then have any o fthose players on my team. IOnly deal for melo would have harden in it. For the record melo will retire a knick.

If Carmelo retires a Knick, then the Knicks aren't winning any championships until after Carmelo retires.

xxplayerxx23
07-18-2013, 11:20 PM
If Carmelo retires a Knick, then the Knicks aren't winning any championships until after Carmelo retires.

Yeah we will see about that. Thought you were talking about Portland

raider_fan
07-18-2013, 11:39 PM
countdown to 2014 NBA Free Agency :D

topdog
07-18-2013, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't count on Kobe taking a paycut to make an LA "Super Team" happen. There was a different article recently where Kobe said as much.

So, the Lakeshow could be in a position of either cutting ties with Kobe or re-tooling around Kobe +1.

smood999
07-19-2013, 12:27 AM

NY has improved every yr beginning 2010...and have exceeded expectations in 2 out of those 3 yrs including last season and you think they should just break it up and rebuild? Don't understand the logic...

smood999
07-19-2013, 12:32 AM

comments like this are silly...how many ppl said the same about players like Pierce and Dirk...even if you don't think Melo is as good as them, although he and Pierce are very similar, it's just the point that you don't know what will happen....

this is purely hypothetical, but very possible scenario, what if the Knicks added Rondo, Love/Aldridge resign Chandler and Melo assuming Chandler is no longer worth 13 mil? Is that not a championship caliber team? Isn't that similar to what allowed Pierce to win except that happened with trades...

DitchDat
07-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Can we please not do this? First LeBron, then Melo and Dwight (twice), now Melo again. Can't we just focus on basketball and approach this stuff until it is actually on the horizon?

NYYCowboys
07-19-2013, 06:00 AM
I wouldn't mind if Melo left. I may be in the minority of Knicks fans, but I've come to the realization that we will never win with him. He doesn't impact the game enough aside from his scoring. If he moved on we can concentrate our efforts on guys in the 2015 and 2016 FA class.

JordansBulls
07-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Deng, Noah, Taj for Melo and Chandler.

xxplayerxx23
07-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Deng, Noah, Taj for Melo and Chandler.

:laugh2: