PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Lakers Aiming for MELO in '14 not LBJ

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 10:52 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-carmelo-anthony-lakers-20130707,0,2712321.story

Armed with massive cap room, the Lakers will go shopping in 2014.

The franchise would love to lure LeBron James from Miami -- but after his second straight title, and given the craftiness of Heat President Pat Riley, it may prove a futile hope.

Another high-scoring forward may be more attainable --New York Knicks All-Star Carmelo Anthony.

While former coach Phil Jackson may not be making decisions for the Lakers, he is engaged to the team's part-owner and executive Jeanie Buss. Jackson may have given a glimpse into their thinking at a recent event at the Alex Theatre in Glendale.

"For [the Lakers] to be able to move and to adjust to the process that goes on in the NBA, you have to have flexibility. The [way] the league is structured with its new CBA and how it penalizes teams -- you can't make moves," Jackson said. "[With] guys like Carmelo and LeBron in a couple of years, you've got to be capable of making a challenge for those kinds of players."

Anthony, the NBA's scoring champion this season, has had some success in Denver and New York but has gotten as far as the conference finals only once in 10 seasons, with the Nuggets in 2009. He can opt out of the final year on his contract with the Knicks ($24.4 million) after this coming season.

In 2011, Kobe Bryant was asked which NBA player he would most like to team up with.

"I would actually like to play with Melo," said Bryant, as documented by Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld.com in 2011. "Championships are won on the inside and I'm always thinking about winning the title. I would love to play with Melo because I would know that I have an inside presence. That's really been the biggest strength with our Lakers team."

Bryant has said many times that he and Anthony are good friends, stemming from their time together with Team USA.

The Lakers would be able to offer a four-year, $100.5-million contract to Anthony, starting at $23.5 million.

If Bryant was willing to take a pay cut to re-sign with the Lakers (at perhaps $13.5 million), a la Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan in recent years, the team could still have up to another $20 million in cap room to lure a third star.

Steve Nash might take up some of that space but the Lakers can look to either trade him before the summer, or use their "stretch provision" to pay his remaining $9.7 million over three seasons in $3.2-million chunks. In the latter scenario, the Lakers would still have about $17 million to spend.
The list of available players is evolving, but the Lakers could also look to make a trade using that cap space (perhaps with their 2014 draft pick as bait, although it cannot be dealt officially until after the draft).

A restricted free agent like Indiana's Paul George would be nearly impossible to get, given that the Pacers will have the right of first refusal. The Lakers could also choose to save some cap room for 2015, when an even longer list of players could be available including LaMarcus Aldridge, Rajon Rondo and Kevin Love.

The future for the Lakers is vague but the rebuild is coming. The team hopes to get through it in short time.

The Lakers won't have Dwight Howard under contract after he chose the Houston Rockets via free agency, but flexibility starts next summer. If Bryant is expecting another $30-million payday per season, it's going to be almost impossible for the Lakers to reload around him.

While the idea of having a lottery pick in the stacked 2014 draft might be tempting, if Bryant can return quickly to full strength after his Achilles' tendon repair, the Lakers will not be "tanking" to improve their draft position.

As for Anthony and his relationship with his former New York coach Mike D'Antoni, it would be a lot easier for the Lakers to get out of their coach's contract after a second straight mediocre season.

ALSO:

Metta World Peace tweet: Lakers vs. Rockets in conference finals

World Peace could depart via amnesty, saving Lakers about $19 million

Lakers have yet to agree to terms with any free agents

Email Eric Pincus at eric.pincus@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter @EricPincus.

nico916
07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
They're still going to try to go after LBJ too there is no way you don't try at least one time. all they got to do is get a lottery pick next year get Kobe to talk to Melo and LeBron and now your looking at a potential big 4. no more carrying soon to be dead weight.

BigCityofDreams
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't see Melo leaving NYK.

NYKnicks4511
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
As a Knicks fan I'm not so worried that Melo will bolt for L.A. Given Kobe's recent injury history and the fact that the Lakers plan to move forward with D'Antoni of all coaches, I think that with Amar'e's contract coming off the books the Knicks will make a play for another star and keep Carmelo.

Either way, Grunwald is a smart GM. I've got enough faith in him to either get trade value out of Melo if he does decide to bail on NY, or to put together a real contender for the 2015 season.

BALLER R
07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I think they go after the top 5 guys. Not saying they will get any of them but as a franchise with that must cap space you have to. you need to see which stars would be interested in playing there. Melo is far more attainable than Lebron is I would think.

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Cool Story LA....

Not getting him IMO. Melo had his sights set on NY ever since he signed with the CAA. He got his wish, why would he leave now? To deal with the pressure of giving the Lakers another ring? That's even more pressure than delivering a starving Knick fan base it's first ring since 73.....

sportsfan222
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
melo and kobe playing together? are they starting to play with 2 basketballs in the nba in 2014 -2015 season?

How the hell would that work?

GiantsSwaGG
Wouldn't mind it to be honest. Although I don't see Melo leaving NY, if he does I would actually be happy with it. We have enough money to give out 3 max and go after top 5 guys. Give me a Kevin Love and Marc Gasol

Slug3
LBJ is not leaving Miami for LA. Not with Pat Riley there.

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2013, 11:14 AM
melo and kobe playing together? are they starting to play with 2 basketballs in the nba in 2014 -2015 season?

How the hell would that work?

Kobe will either retire or not be resigned so it wouldn't matter

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2013, 11:14 AM
LBJ is not leaving Miami for LA. Not with Pat Riley there.

But I can see James leaving thou, Wade will be on the decline and so will Bosh. Cavs team is looking interesting

NYKnicks4511
07-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Lakers honestly have a better shot at K-Love. UCLA product, 2015 Free Agent. Though I do want the Knicks to get him...

BigCityofDreams
07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't mind it to be honest. Although I don't see Melo leaving NY, if he does I would actually be happy with it. We have enough money to give out 3 max and go after top 5 guys. Give me a Kevin Love and Marc Gasol

That's who the Lakers need to set their sights on

shep33
07-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I think the plan is to try and bring in both. Very unlikely, although it would be fun to watch.

That being said, I can see Melo or LeBron going to Houston next year.

Houston can clear all their players outside of Harden and Howard. Total would be 38 mill with those two on board.

shep33
07-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I just can't see Melo leaving the Knicks. He loves it there. LBJ either

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Cool Story LA....

Not getting him IMO. Melo had his sights set on NY ever since he signed with the CAA. He got his wish, why would he leave now? To deal with the pressure of giving the Lakers another ring? That's even more pressure than delivering a starving Knick fan base it's first ring since 73.....

He had his sights playing with CP3-Amare-Melo Big 3. What he has now isn't exactly what he bargained for.

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
But I can see James leaving thou, Wade will be on the decline and so will Bosh. Cavs team is looking interesting

Like the poster you quoted said....LBJ is not leaving South Beach!

Pat Riley will just lure another star player into South Beach when Wade and Bosh's decline take them out of title contention....

Sandman
07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
melo and d'antoni? :no:

BigCityofDreams
07-08-2013, 11:19 AM

A heat fan said this: But Lebron wouldn't just be able to leave like that. If he wanted to go to the Cavs it would have to be through a sigh and trade. The heat owner would want Irving, Thompson, a pick, and another player.

:eyebrow:

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
He had his sights playing with CP3-Amare-Melo Big 3. What he has now isn't exactly what he bargained for.

Melo also had his sights on building his BRAND! Melo wants to be a legacy player and he wanted to do it in NY. Yea the "Toast" didn't work out quite as planned, but Melo wanted a big market, he wanted NY, LaLa wanted to go back home to NY. Yes he wanted to form his own big 3, but that point gets overblown a lot of the time. Melo was forcing his way to NY regardless.

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Dp

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Melo also had his sights on building his BRAND! Melo wants to be a legacy player and he wanted to do it in NY. Yea the "Toast" didn't work out quite as planned, but Melo wanted a big market, he wanted NY, LaLa wanted to go back home to NY. Yes he wanted to form his own big 3, but that point gets overblown a lot of the time. Melo was forcing his way to NY regardless.
They can do that and more in LA. He wont win a championship with NY at least while he's in his prime which is the best thing you can do for your BRAND. His best chance of doing that is forming a BIG-3 in LA with all the camera and glitz to keep his wife happy.

ManRam
07-08-2013, 11:25 AM
of course they'll try to get LBJ if he exercises his ETO...they'd be foolish not to. every team might as well make the call. i'm just sure they know it's probably highly unlikely.

there's gonna have to be something there to sway lebron to go there. that something isn't currently on the roster, and there's not much time to get it there. same for melo, but probably on a lesser level. he doesn't have as much of a good thing in NYK.

both seem highly improbable, but who knows. i'd just imagine that IF lebron leaves miami he wouldn't do it to go anywhere but cleveland. but again, that's just my dumb speculation

KniCks4LiFe
him going or staying does nothing for me. :shrug:

sportscrazed
Why would Melo who always talks about how much finally living by his family on the east coast leave and go back west? Also, do people really think Melo would be willing to be the main man? I'm sure some will reply "he will be the main man now" but people also said that about Dwight. As long as Kobe is a Laker, Kobe will be the main man. Also, why would Melo want to play with the man who led the entire league in FGAs?

"I know I'm going to be here for a long time," Anthony said a month ago

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Why would Melo who always talks about how much finally living by his family on the east coast leave and go back west? Also, do people really think Melo would be willing to be the main man? I'm sure some will reply "he will be the main man now" but people also said that about Dwight. As long as Kobe is a Laker, Kobe will be the main man. Also, why would Melo want to play with the man who led the entire league in FGAs?

"I know I'm going to be here for a long time," Anthony said a month ago
I assume to have a better shot at winning a championship while staying in a Big Market.

shep33
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I'll bet anything that Phil will get a role in the FO by the end of this season. He'll help with pitches, but in the end I think LBJ and Melo stay.

Also, if they leave, again, Houston can bring in one max guy I think next year if they get rid or Asik or Lin who would be expirings... pretty easy to get rid of both in all truth. If you can get rid of Richard jefferson and Biedrins, you can trade the expirings of Lin and Asik

sportscrazed
07-08-2013, 11:30 AM
They can do that and more in LA. He wont win a championship with NY at least while he's in his prime which is the best thing you can do for your BRAND. His best chance of doing that is forming a BIG-3 in LA with all the camera and glitz to keep his wife happy.

First of all he could win a championship in New York. It seems unlikely but its not impossible considering no one has seen what Bargnani can add. Additionally I don't see Melo running to the "camera and glitz" an issue because NYC's main borough aka Manhattan has all of that.

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM

I think if he wanted to be in LA....He would have found a way to go to LA already. Kobe def wouldn't have minded to team up with Melo! He wanted to build his marketing in the city he lived in as a kid. LaLa wanted to be back home near her family. He's not leaving NY.

PhillyFaninLA
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Its good to know the Lakers are done with the idea of all those pesky championships, they now realize they are best without winning any more...this doesn't make sense otherwise.

Tongue-Splitter
07-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't want Lebron James to be a Laker. Ever. As a Laker fan, I would hate it. He's incredibly talented, I just can't stand him.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I think if he wanted to be in LA....He would have found a way to go to LA already. Kobe def wouldn't have minded to team up with Melo! He wanted to build his marketing in the city he lived in as a kid. LaLa wanted to be back home near her family. He's not leaving NY.
How? LA has been ridiculously over the cap for about 10 years now. It was never an option unless he wanted to play for the Clippers. I'm sure if LAKERS had the cap space NY had 3 years ago it would have been a different story.

BigCityofDreams
07-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't want Lebron James to be a Laker. Ever. As a Laker fan, I would hate it. He's incredibly talented, I just can't stand him.

You would get over it if he became a Laker

NYK|NYY
07-08-2013, 11:40 AM
While I can't really picture Melo leaving for LA, it could happen. I just don't see any merit for the reasons why he would. The grass is not as green on the other side in this situation (as it currently stands).

colinskik
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Have you heard of Manhattan before? It trumps LA when you're talking about camera and glitz. In fact, it trumps every city in just about every discussion.

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
How? LA has been ridiculously over the cap for about 10 years now. It was never an option unless he wanted to play for the Clippers. I'm sure if LAKERS had the cap space NY had 3 years ago it would have been a different story.

We will just agree to disagree on this one.....

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Let me ask you this...

First and for most your bait thread failed as usual

1. How can the Lakers form a Big 3 with Melo?

2. Who would they go after?

3. When would they be able to form a big 3? 2015? Oh the same year the Knicks can as well right.

4. Why would he go to the Lakers where the owner will ignore him unlike Dolan who will suck Melo's **** if Melo asked him too.

sportscrazed
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
We will just agree to disagree on this one.....

Melo wanted to go home and the only two options of that are the Knicks and Nets. He made is known that he wanted the Knicks because they are the alpha dog team in NY (also the team 80% of New Yorkers care about). I don't think he will leave, he has unfinished business.

ManRam
2014 free agency is gonna be a let down IMO. everyone either is an RFA or has ETOs. very few guaranteed UFAs.

abe_froman
i dont see them leaving they're current teams,why would they?

they should go the celtics route of older stars and extend the hunt for a few more years(ie dirk,ect.),or just wait for love in '15 he has socal connections and will probably want out

bagwell368
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I hope they sign Melo. As long as the Celts have no shot at a title for at least the next 4-5 years, it's good to see the LAL in the same boat.

FYL_McVeezy
07-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Let me ask you this...

First and for most your bait thread failed as usual

1. How can the Lakers form a Big 3 with Melo?

2. Who would they go after?

3. When would they be able to form a big 3? 2015? Oh the same year the Knicks can as well right.

4. Why would he go to the Lakers where the owner will ignore him unlike Dolan who will suck Melo's **** if Melo asked him too.

Melo on James Dolan putting microphones on the court: "It is good to know that you have an owner that has your back under any circumstances".

But let's let him keep dreaming of scenarios to sabotage the Knicks.....Melo wanted NY, Melo got NY, Melo ain't leaving!

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Melo on James Dolan putting microphones on the court: "It is good to know that you have an owner that has your back under any circumstances".

But let's let him keep dreaming of scenarios to sabotage the Knicks.....Melo wanted NY, Melo got NY, Melo ain't leaving!

And like I said even if Melo does leave, it's a win win, we would be able to offer 3 max or actually build a team.

A team like

PG Rondo
SG Shump
SF?
PF Love
C Gasol

Is easily a title contender

AI
07-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I think it's more likely that the Knicks re-sign Melo and try and pull off a move similar to what Golden State did this year with Utah in which the Knicks shed the expirings of Bargnani and Amare and receive virtually zero salary in return. This would give the Knicks two significant trade exceptions plus the cap space to allow them to re-tool the roster with some much needed starpower. I also don't think it's out of the question that Kobe would go to NY.

NYK|NYY
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
When you really lay out the situations for both teams in 2014/2015, Melo leaving New York just seems unlikely. The Knicks can reload their roster in those years, would Melo really bolt for a new situation in a tougher conference?

KniCks4LiFe
07-08-2013, 11:59 AM

No they can't. He's not winning a ship' in NY but there's no big 3. The Big 3 left is in Miami. LeBron is either going to CLE or staying in Miami. Wade will probably retire. The only portion of a big 3 Melo can create in LAL w/o tampering is w/ Bosh. There's no one else. Everyone else is locked up for 2-3 more yrs. And there are only 4 great NBA finals players left in the league.

LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Dwayne Wade
Kevin Durant

But I'll play the what if game. The best big man that Melo would be paired w/ that would be available would be

A) DeMarcus Cousins

or

B) Chris Bosh

the second best tier would be

A) LaMarcus Aldrige

or

B) Z-Bo

how about PG?

A) Rondo

or

B) Kyle Lowry

This isn't exactly a great situation for him at all. He'd be better off running back to Denver if they'd take him back.

Chronz
07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
I remember when reports were that LA was going to try and sign Yao Ming, shortly afterward, Yao signed an extension and LA had to settle for Kwame Brown IIRC.

sammyvine
07-08-2013, 12:15 PM
melo is not that good though

what's he achieved to be worshipped by knicks fan?
bounced out the 1st round and 2nd round

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
dwayne wade ain't gonna retire at the age of 32.....dude can still ball at a really high level. esp. when hes healthy...lebron james is not gonna ditch dwayne wade esp. what you have a guy name Pat Riley who's runnin' the show...knicks fans are panickin already

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I remember when reports were that LA was going to try and sign Yao Ming, shortly afterward, Yao signed an extension and LA had to settle for Kwame Brown IIRC.

Remember when Howard was going to resign with LA because they were "The Lakers"

AI
07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Wavey has a sick obsession with Melo and the Knicks. All his threads are "troll threads".

Created one about Melo being fat, about Melo being Forbes #1 overpaid player (when in reality he wasn't even the most overpaid on his own team). His agenda is clear, you wish Melo left NY, but the reality is that the Nets mortgaged their future to bring in two old farts who have dust in their veins. Knicks will still run New York this year, and will put Brookyn to shame when they retool between 2014/16. Nice try though.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM

You do realize that after this surgery, Kobe is not going to be a "big 3" kind of player anymore right?

zn23
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Kobe and Melo on the same team.... wonderful, two of the biggest ball hogs in basketball on one team.

AI
07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
dwayne wade ain't gonna retire at the age of 32.....dude can still ball at a really high level. esp. when hes healthy...lebron james is not gonna ditch dwayne wade esp. what you have a guy name Pat Riley who's runnin' the show...knicks fans are panickin already

So one guy says something stupid and all Knick fans should be hold accountable? Awesome.

Why should Knick fans panic though? He forced his way to New York, he's from there and his wife wants to live there. Knicks can finally build a nice team around him soon, anyone with a brain knows he's staying.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Except the Knicks traded for Melo, didn't sign him, again as usual, you dont have your facts straight.

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 12:23 PM
So one guy says something stupid and all Knick fans should be hold accountable? Awesome.

Why should Knick fans panic though? He forced his way to New York, he's from there and his wife wants to live there. Knicks can finally build a nice team around him soon, anyone with a brain knows he's staying.

Instead of going after a perennial all-star, you end up getting a player name Andrea Bargnani at the 4...then there's something wrong, at the same time im not even sure if kobe and melo can co-exist since kobe has too much ego

MTL_123
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
i dont see melo leaving after all he did to get out of denver and come to NY and Lebron the only team i can see him going to is back to the cavs

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Instead of going after a perennial all-star, you end up getting a player name Andrea Bargnani at the 4...then there's something wrong, at the same time im not even sure if kobe and melo can co-exist since kobe has too much ego

What perennial all-star can you get for Novak, Camby and a 1st that isnt even yours? I'll wait...

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
What perennial all-star can you get for Novak, Camby and a 1st that isnt even yours? I'll wait...

if you didn't know, the raptors are going to tank?...how many all stars does bargnani have?.......get your facts straight

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Wavey has a sick obsession with Melo and the Knicks. All his threads are "troll threads".

Created one about Melo being fat, about Melo being Forbes #1 overpaid player (when in reality he wasn't even the most overpaid on his own team). His agenda is clear, you wish Melo left NY, but the reality is that the Nets mortgaged their future to bring in two old farts who have dust in their veins. Knicks will still run New York this year, and will put Brookyn to shame when they retool between 2014/16. Nice try though.
You realize the LA TIMES wrote this article? Not me right?

Jarvo
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Won't be suprised if Melo & Lebron left at all, To me it's more likely Melo leaves than Lebron because I know it hurts seeing his fellow draft mates get rings before him even Darko.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
if you didn't know, the raptors are going to tank?...how many all stars does bargnani have?.......get your facts straight

Dude, you just said in your above post that instead of trading for a perennial all-star, we got Bargs and thats a problem. Tell me what perennial all-star we should ave gone after with that package.

NYK|NYY
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
If 'Melo DID leave for LA, he would be viewed as the guy "who could not get it done in NY" and then have the added pressure of being a sort of savior for the Lakers. Just seems like a bad situation. Not to mention a tougher conference.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Guys need to realize that NBA players are more selfish than ever now a days. All they care about is being ranked the best by ESPN, winning rings and getting money. There is no respect for the name on the front of their jersey anymore.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
You realize the LA TIMES wrote this article? Not me right?

You posted it. Just like you post all of the negative article about the Knicks. Because you are a troll.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
You posted it. Just like you post all of the negative article about the Knicks. Because you are a troll.

It's the LA freaking Times. I'm not supposed to post that? I guess you must think the LA Times are trolling the knicks lol.

AI
07-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Knicks had no assets to get a perennial all-star. They did the best they could by trading Camby and Novak (that package will NEVER land you a perennial all-star) for Bargnani, who was a nice buy-low, high-reward type of move because unlike in TOR, there isn't high expectations for him in NY and he can just be another role player.

KnickaBocka.44
It's the LA freaking Times. I'm not supposed to post that? I guess you must think the LA Times are trolling the knicks lol.

There is literally no evidence of anything in the article, it doesnt say anything. No support for anything other than that these two men are friends.

waveycrockett
There is literally no evidence of anything in the article, it doesnt say anything.

Take that up with the LA Times.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Take that up with the LA Times.

The L.A. Times didnt post the article here for me to read it. Think next time.

J4KOP99
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Espn is amazing with this stuff. They just keep it coming.

I could definitely see melo in la though.

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Dude, you just said in your above post that instead of trading for a perennial all-star, we got Bargs and thats a problem. Tell me what perennial all-star we should ave gone after with that package.

the knicks should have thout about KG and PP...or could have done a sign and trade for draft picks.....Right now the Knicks are a 5th place team in the EC.....and Melo ain't getting any younger

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Knicks had no assets to get a perennial all-star. They did the best they could by trading Camby and Novak (that package will NEVER land you a perennial all-star) for Bargnani, who was a nice buy-low, high-reward type of move because unlike in TOR, there isn't high expectations for him in NY and he can just be another role player.

Thats why Masai Ujiri is a the master when it comes to trading....he robbed the knicks....twice...just to let you know...the warriors offered david lee for andrea bargnani....and raptors rejected the trade cuz they are tanking

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 12:40 PM
The L.A. Times didnt post the article here for me to read it. Think next time.

Nah they just posted it in a news publication thats a Billion times bigger than PSD for you to read. If you want to bury your head in the sand get off the internet.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:44 PM
the knicks should have thout about KG and PP...or could have done a sign and trade for draft picks.....Right now the Knicks are a 5th place team in the EC.....and Melo ain't getting any younger

1) Neither of those players is a perennial all-star anymore.

2) That deal was already done.

3) The salaries dont match.

4) A sign and trade for draft picks?!?!?! :laugh::laugh: I don't even know where to start with that.

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
1) Neither of those players is a perennial all-star anymore.

2) That deal was already done.

3) The salaries dont match.

4) A sign and trade for draft picks?!?!?! :laugh::laugh: I don't even know where to start with that.

ur laughing now, but at the end of the day, the knicks are screwed....

Stinkyoutsider
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't put anything past the Lakers as far as enticing players to sign there.

Melo has wanted to play in NY for such a long time. It's kind of hard to see him wanting to leave with coach Woodson there. But things can change though?

I think Lebron has more of a chance at leaving the Heat unless they continue to win titles. I honestly don't see Lebron turning away from hearing a sales pitch from the Lakers but Pat Riley is a very crafty negotiator and he's well respected.

There would be enough ball to go around for both of those guys if they ended up with the Lakers. They played extremely well together for our national team and they both have enough respect for each other to see each other as equals so they both would carry the team together.

AI
07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Please tell us Wavey how totally unbiased you are, that you have no agenda against the NYK:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819717-Tyson-Chandler-The-Eastern-Conference-Kendrick-Perkins
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819367-Rhianna-Jr-Smith-a-lame-and-Is-hungover-every-night
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?818740-Bigger-Postseason-Disaster-JR-Smith-or-Carmelo-Anthony
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819066-Shumpert-damages-repaired-knee-Rose-vindicated
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?812964-FORBES-Carmelo-Anthony-is-1-OVERPAID-NBA-Player
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?809012-Melo-may-have-partially-TORN-meniscus-or-ARTHRITIC-knee!!!
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?792964-Do-you-think-Amare-can-still-score-20-pts-in-1-HALF
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?792944-Amare-says-he-was-never-coached-defense

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Pretty much. Their cap situation is god awful and their 2nd best player is JR Smith. I dont know why they aren't pushing the panic button but whatevs.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:51 PM

So because you lack knowledge, you resort to trashing my team?

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Pretty much. Their cap situation is god awful and their 2nd best player is JR Smith. I dont know why they aren't pushing the panic button but whatevs.

Trolling.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
duplicate.

Slug3
07-08-2013, 12:53 PM

What happens if he leaves and never gets another ring? I don't think he does. Pat has done everything he promised while the Cavs had 7 years and don't get him anything. Lebron will not take the chance to leave where he has been proven a winner.

lakerboy
07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
We have no shot. The Knicks are the greatest franchise ever on earth, and with the arrival of Andrea Bargnani, they will win the championship this year.

lakerboy
07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
What happens if he leaves and never gets another ring? I don't think he does. Pat has done everything he promised while the Cavs had 7 years and don't get him anything. Lebron will not take the chance to leave where he has been proven a winner.

If they lose this year, he could leave. If they still win, hard to see him leave.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Trolling.

How? Those are the facts.

AI
07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Thats why Masai Ujiri is a the master when it comes to trading....he robbed the knicks....twice...just to let you know...the warriors offered david lee for andrea bargnani....and raptors rejected the trade cuz they are tanking

David Lee is also making $15M per until 2015/16. Very bad contract, I see why Masai didn't want to do it, Bargs expires next year so it's actually a no brainer. Anything else?

No, Knicks would of been screwed had they mortgaged their future for Pierce and Garnett. They can allow Bargnani and Amare to expire next year (or trade them as expirings) and completely retool within 2014/16 around a still in his prime Melo. No reason to take on a contract like Lee who would be making $15M in 2015 because as things currently stand, the Knicks can add two max contracts along with Melo.

BenFrank
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
If Houston goes deep in the Playoffs next season, and Lebron wins another Ring.. I think Houston could be the Dark Hoarse for Melo, a S&T of Asik, Parsons, and Lin (that would be halarious) might get it done, if melo decides to walk

I say this because Melo had interest in Houston, until Yao retired.. then we was X'd off his list.. With Harden and Howard in place, they would def.. be the best team (Roster Wise) to take down the heat, plus that state income tax always play a role..

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 12:58 PM
How? Those are the facts.

There was actually not one fact in that post.

NYK|NYY
07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Please tell us Wavey how totally unbiased you are, that you have no agenda against the NYK:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819717-Tyson-Chandler-The-Eastern-Conference-Kendrick-Perkins
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819367-Rhianna-Jr-Smith-a-lame-and-Is-hungover-every-night
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?818740-Bigger-Postseason-Disaster-JR-Smith-or-Carmelo-Anthony
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819066-Shumpert-damages-repaired-knee-Rose-vindicated
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?812964-FORBES-Carmelo-Anthony-is-1-OVERPAID-NBA-Player
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?809012-Melo-may-have-partially-TORN-meniscus-or-ARTHRITIC-knee!!!
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?792964-Do-you-think-Amare-can-still-score-20-pts-in-1-HALF
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?792944-Amare-says-he-was-never-coached-defense

Lol..

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Pretty much. Their cap situation is god awful

1) Our cap is all but completely clear in 2 years, thats not a bad cap situation. Not a fact.

and their 2nd best player is JR Smith.

Also, not a fact. When everyone is healthy J.R. Smith is our 4th best player.

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
So because you lack knowledge, you resort to trashing my team?

dude, u don't understand what kind of a situation the knicks are at right now.....masah ujiri would have traded amare stoudemire by now...and secondly, did u know, the warriors offered david lee to the raptors for andrea barganani?....by the way, u guys picked amare stoudemire over david lee....it just shows that the knicks management sucks...i don't care if u make fun of me, i have nothing to lose...retaliate all you want......cuz this is reality...

Gibby23
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
If 'Melo DID leave for LA, he would be viewed as the guy "who could not get it done in NY" and then have the added pressure of being a sort of savior for the Lakers. Just seems like a bad situation. Not to mention a tougher conference.

Not really, nobody has gotten it done in NY for over 40 years.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
dude, u don't understand what kind of a situation the knicks are at right now.....masah ujiri would have traded amare stoudemire by now...and secondly, did u know, the warriors offered david lee to the raptors for andrea barganani?....by the way, u guys picked amare stoudemire over david lee....it just shows that the knicks management sucks...i don't care if u make fun of me, i have nothing to lose...retaliate all you want......cuz this is reality...

Im not even reading this because I already know that you dont know what you're talking about.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:07 PM
1) Our cap is all but completely clear in 2 years, thats not a bad cap situation. Not a fact.

When everyone is healthy? lol please dont kid yourself and think Amare Stoudemire is that guy when he can longer play 20+ Minutes or back to back games for the rest of his career according to his doctors.

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Im not even reading this because I already know that you dont know what you're talking about.

cuz you can't handle the truth, whatever i mentioned is all facts, not fiction...tough

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
When everyone is healthy? lol please dont kid yourself and think Amare Stoudemire is that guy when he can longer play 20+ Minutes or back to back games for the rest of his career according to his doctors.

He is starting the season on a minutes limit, not the rest of his career. Again, you dont have your facts straight.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
cuz you can't handle the truth, whatever i mentioned is all facts, not fiction...tough

I dont know, I didnt read it.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Went back and read it. You and Wavey need to learn what facts are.

rockbottom2010
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Went back and read it. You and Wavey need to learn what facts are.

well good luck with your knicks....cuz they really need the luck

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
He is starting the season on a minutes limit, not the rest of his career. Again, you dont have your facts straight.
Ok when everyone on the Knicks is healthy aka when pigs fly.

Sandman
07-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Please tell me where the Knicks could have traded Amare.

Also please tell me why Melo forces his way here to play with David Lee.

+ it looks like Toronto just chose Camby and Novak over David Lee, so there's that.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
well good luck with your knicks....cuz they really need the luck

Nah they dont need luck. Amare Stoudemire is coming back healthy. Going to average 25 and 7 this year *FACTS*.....

NYJ - NYY
07-08-2013, 01:15 PM
this **** is wild man... waveycocksocket is out of his bird im not arguing, you just come across as a red headed step child dying for attention from the knicks fan base in all of the threads... you need to get out more my man and not give a **** about the knicks...

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Nah they dont need luck. Amare Stoudemire is coming back healthy. Going to average 25 and 7 this year *FACTS*.....

You said that, not anyone else.

Sandman
07-08-2013, 01:16 PM

troll so hard

I don't think anybody expects 82 games out of Amare, also don't think anybody expects 25/7. They did everything last year without him so anything he can provide will be a plus over last year.

I don't see what part of that is unrealistic, hell, there aren't even ANY Amare expectations coming out of NY...

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
this **** is wild man... waveycocksocket is out of his bird im not arguing, you just come across as a red headed step child dying for attention from the knicks fan base in all of the threads... you need to get out more my man and not give a **** about the knicks...
Alot of emotion in this post. This is good. Let it all out.

NYJ - NYY
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
whatever amare does; awesome, its a plus...dont really consider him part of them team anymore, it sucks he has to be so injury plagued

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
troll so hard

I don't think anybody expects 82 games out of Amare, also don't think anybody expects 25/7. They did everything last year without him so anything he can provide will be a plus over last year.

I don't see what part of that is unrealistic, hell, there aren't even ANY Amare expectations coming out of NY...

How am I trolling? When I said JR Smith was 2nd best player last season? When he absolutely was.

NYJ - NYY
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Alot of emotion in this post. This is good. Let it all out.

completely wrong really ... i dont get emotional over your posts or dmf, i just think you guys are lacking something of substance in real life to have to continuously try and talk and put down the rival basketball team like youre getting paid for it lol keep on haten on my dude... hope it gets you somewhere

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:19 PM
You said that, not anyone else.

Nah like you said WHEN HEALTHY.

Sandman
How am I trolling? When I said JR Smith was 2nd best player last season? When he absolutely was.
The one I quoted when I replied, are you on crack?

Jesus you are dense. :facepalm:

waveycrockett
completely wrong really ... i dont get emotional over your posts or dmf, i just think you guys are lacking something of substance in real life to have to continuously try and talk and put down the rival basketball team like youre getting paid for it lol keep on haten on my dude... hope it gets you somewhere

I'm just calling it like I see it. If you see that as hate so be it dont take it personal. Cheers man.

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 01:21 PM

So either follow the entire conversation or dont bother quoting. That was obviously sarcasm in response to someone saying Amare is a top-3 Knicks player. And I'm the dense one? lol

Sandman
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
So either follow the entire conversation or dont bother quoting. That was obviously sarcasm in response to someone saying Amare is a top-3 Knicks player. And I'm the dense one? lol

and at what point is that obvious over the top sarcasm =/= trolling?

troll so hard..

AI
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM

:laugh2:

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Nah like you said WHEN HEALTHY.

You said he was going to play every game and average 25/7, I just said when he is healthy he is better than J.R. That does not mean I think he will be healthy for a whole season and dominate. You read too far into things.

Bruins2012
Neither is going to LA.

slashsnake
Lol, I don't think he was talking about JR, but rather the Amare 25 and 7 comment. That was pretty funny.

So here is a question... Can a team trade a player and the team he was traded to, use their amnesty on him? IE...

Sacramento Kings probably are going to amnesty John Salmons (2 years left 15 mil due). They trade Salmons for Stoudemire (2 years 40 mil due) and pick up an extra couple first round picks (not sure where they are cap wise and if others may have to be added in). Then they amnesty Stoudemire instead and basically get the picks for nothing. The Knicks on the other hand do lose picks, but being a top free agent destination that isn't as important to them, and get out from under the worst contract in the NBA.

Is there any rule on trading for, then amnestying a guy?

waveycrockett
and at what point is that obvious over the top sarcasm =/= trolling?

troll so hard..

So your feelings are hurt by this report.

Sandman
07-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Lol, I don't think he was talking about JR, but rather the Amare 25 and 7 comment. That was pretty funny.

So here is a question... Can a team trade a player and the team he was traded to, use their amnesty on him? IE...

Sacramento Kings probably are going to amnesty John Salmons (2 years left 15 mil due). They trade Salmons for Stoudemire (2 years 40 mil due) and pick up an extra couple first round picks (not sure where they are cap wise and if others may have to be added in). Then they amnesty Stoudemire instead and basically get the picks for nothing. The Knicks on the other hand do lose picks, but being a top free agent destination that isn't as important to them, and get out from under the worst contract in the NBA.

I think that would be legit. It would cost them an extra 20-30m so its not nothing but nothing cap/player wise yes.

IE: the Knicks could find a team that wants to amnesty 2-3 guys but can't waive them all, so they call up and say here's your amnesty ticket give us your garbage and a draft pick.

AI
07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can only amnesty players signed under the previous CBA and no, teams can't trade for a player (for example: Amare) and then amnesty him once he's acquired.

slashsnake
07-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I forgot the team would still be liable for his contract (just not against the cap). but it seems like a win win for both sides if they could make the cap $ work. You would think some team would sign him under a partial amnesty (give him 10 mil over 2 years) and the Knicks could work out a deal to pay the team that they traded him to the remaining cash. They aren't hurting for money, just money they can spend on players to improve.

Sandman
If I'm not mistaken, you can only amnesty players signed under the previous CBA and no, teams can't trade for a player (for example: Amare) and then amnesty him once he's acquired.

this is correct it has to be an old contract but wouldnt that have gotten in the way of the Magic amnestying Gilbert?

or do they just have to be on your roster before the lockout?

abe_froman

yes there is a rule.only the team that the player was on before the lockout can amnesty him.so your ideal is an illegal move

bucketss
07-08-2013, 01:51 PM

lmao, i'll give tyson, please tell me who the next one is? bargnani:facepalm: amare?:facepalm:

NYJ - NYY
07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
lmao, i'll give tyson, please tell me who the next one is? bargnani:facepalm: amare?:facepalm:

felton and or shump?

when jr was off in the playoffs it was them 2 who shined

Captain Moroni
07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
I can see it now, the lakers get melo and suddenly everyone on PSD thinks melo is a top 3 player once again.

lamzoka
07-08-2013, 02:15 PM
i know kobe loves melo, but i think melo is set in NY

Mr. Koobs
07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Just one question for the OP… If the LA Times had written that Kobe might join ‘Melo in New York, would you have posted it? Somehow I doubt it.

It’s an absolute joke that you can try to claim you don’t get off on trolling the Knicks. I think AI4 pretty much covered your trolling highlights…at least some of them. At least own it.

Is it possible that ‘Melo leaves the Knicks for the Lakers? Sure. It’s also possible that Lebron joins the Bobcats on a vet min. Will it happen? Nope.

‘Melo is going nowhere.

I can see it now, the lakers get melo and suddenly everyone on PSD thinks melo is a top 3 player once again.

Yep, yep, yep.

Gallo and Wilson Chandler sucked until the Knicks traded them, then they became young players with a shitload of potential. Didn’t hear any praise for Chris Copeland in the NBA forum until he signed with the Pacers.

Bostonjorge
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
This era superstars all want to play together. Melo and Lebron playing together with kobe in LA is somthing they or no one else that was possible. They would be the most famouse team in the world let alone the NBA. All there stock will rise the highest it's ever been.

LongIslandIcedZ
07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Stephen A was saying that he could see Carmelo leaving for LA in 2015. He also said that Lebron would rather play in NY than in LA.

I would take that tradeoff in a heartbeat lol.

I wouldnt lose too much sleep if Melo signed elsewhere. It would give the Knicks an immense amount of capspace and would help them bottom out and get a few lottery picks. I'm one of the Knick fans who dont think the Knicks can win a ring with Melo as their best player.

KnickaBocka.44
07-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Do you not agree that a healthy Amare, however improbable, is a better basketball player than J.R. Smith?

yungincome
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Post of the day

RaiderLakersA's
07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not that bullish on 2014. There really is only 1 max deal player to go after in 2014 and that's LeBron. Melo? Honestly, I'm no more sold on his championship bonafides than I was on Dwight's. I just don't see the hunger. I don't see life or death with these guys. Maybe it's a generational thing? Anyway, I digress...

Back on point: I hope the current regime has learned its lesson. We have millions tied up in players -- the bulk of them FA acquisitions -- who aren't in a position to bring us titles at their present age/level of production. The last thing that I want to do is restrict our notion of team building to FAs. That's not how the Lakers won their last 16 titles.

Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson...these are home grown talents. So yes, pick up an FA here and there to fill a crucial need, but your superlative players also have to be surrounded by brilliant, keystone guys -- and those guys have to be drafted.

Mitch has been great at everything, except for finding gems via the draft. It's time that the Lakers hold his feet to the fire for that neglect. If Mitch can't do that, then it's time to move on from him and get someone in the GM spot who can.

OceanSpray
07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Pretty sure LAL is lying their butts off. In an UPDATED question, Kobe has said LeBron is the best and he'll play with LeBron over anyone else in the league. LAL won't win many games with Kobe and Carmelo both being just scorers. With LeBron on the list, I'm pretty sure they know they are at least trying hard to get him.

Aust
07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Time to start drafting and developing young players. This franchise won't win #17 with money alone.

slashsnake
07-08-2013, 05:30 PM
The only reason they would target Melo instead of Lebron is if Lebron flat out tells them no. End of story.

RLundi
07-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Stephen A was saying that he could see Carmelo leaving for LA in 2015. He also said that Lebron would rather play in NY than in LA.

I would take that tradeoff in a heartbeat lol.

I wouldnt lose too much sleep if Melo signed elsewhere. It would give the Knicks an immense amount of capspace and would help them bottom out and get a few lottery picks. I'm one of the Knick fans who dont think the Knicks can win a ring with Melo as their best player.

Better not let other Knicks fans hear you say this, it'll be pure blasphemy.

But I agree, if Melo is your best player, you're not winning anything.

Aust
07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
He's going to be on the second half of his career by then. I want young players. Give me guys like Greg Monroe

Bmoss12
07-08-2013, 07:03 PM
He said LA not the Lakers he is probably talking about joining his boy Chris Paul.

Hardaway Here
07-08-2013, 07:14 PM
If they lose this year, he could leave. If they still win, hard to see him leave.

He stayed in Cleaveland losing 7 years straight. Now you think that if he loses one time after winning 2 ships in a row and going to the finals 3 times in a row he is just going to jump ship. At least give him that 7 year buffer zone. I honestly don't see him leaving the team he won his first championship on let alone his 2nd. Both sides delivered on what they promised. I doubt losing a few times would deter him.

IBleedPurple
07-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Lala would veto, so I doubt this happens

SportsFanatic10
07-08-2013, 07:26 PM
smartest thing i've heard out of lakerland in a while...

cssdmark
07-08-2013, 07:40 PM
I assume to have a better shot at winning a championship while staying in a Big Market.

If I was a Brooklynn fan I would be hoping for that also so Brooklynn could then be the best tesm in NY

ohreally
07-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Remember when Howard was going to resign with LA because they were "The Lakers"

Remember when LeBron was going to sign with the Knicks and choose his two complementary stars because it was New York?

RiLoc
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Melo, eh?
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li563rbMQs1qhpzp8o1_400.jpg

east fb knicks
07-08-2013, 10:48 PM
nah I don't think melo but I sure do think deron will play ther :smoking:

static_inferno
07-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Pass...rather wait for the 2015 buffet.

Enemey
07-09-2013, 12:51 AM
No way in hell Lakers getting LBJ or Melo. Best they can hope for is Chris Bosh

Aust
07-09-2013, 12:52 AM
No way in hell Lakers getting LBJ or Melo. Best they can hope for is Chris Bosh

Don't want him. Would rather tough it out and wait till the 2015 options

Raps18-19 Champ
07-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Lol Melo and Kobe? How many balls will be on the court?

PraiseJesus
07-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Don't want him. Would rather tough it out and wait till the 2015 options

what r the 15 options

Crackadalic
07-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Why would melo or Lebron want to play,by 2014, with a 36 year old Kobe bryant coming off a serious achilles injury?