PDA

View Full Version : Ryan McDonagh's new deal

Rangers331
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Aaron Ward of TSN first broke the news that McDonagh and the Rangers agreed to a new deal.

‏@aaronward_nhl
Expect the New York Rangers to announce Ryan McDonagh's 6 year extension today. #TSN

Then Larry Brooks tweeted the details.

‏@NYP_Brooksie
McDonagh's deal worth $4.7M per for 6 years. Fair number, very fair for Rangers...
Rangers able to buy out two years of McDonagh's prospective unrestricted free agency under deal.

:clap:

nyr1980
07-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Very nice. That is perfect.

runnermjr1296
07-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Excellent!

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 10:19 AM
stepan is next imo

nyr2002nyr
07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
stepan is next imo

Agreed!

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
This is a fair deal. I would hope Step is around 3.5 per.

IAmARanger18
07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
This is a steal IMO. Look at what other D-Men around the league got, and he is better than most of them. Sather nailed it again, nice job! MacTruck for 6 more years baby!!

bsi
07-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Sounding like as I predicted that Zuccarello might be the odd man out after everyone is signed.

nyr2002nyr
07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
This is a steal IMO. Look at what other D-Men around the league got, and he is better than most of them. Sather nailed it again, nice job! MacTruck for 6 more years baby!!

LOL nailed it again?

IAmARanger18
07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
LOL nailed it again?

First the trade for him, now the contract Haha, though they are two different things, both crucial to this team and competing. Should have been more specific, my bad.

metswon69
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Great deal for us. It's a manageable cap hit and the Rangers locked in a young core defender for the next 6 years.

J4KOP99
07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Can't complain about that. Good work on both ends here.

Now lets lock up step

bsi
07-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Great signing by the way, can't go wrong with McDonagh for that money over that term. Hopefully this is the start of what Detroit always had and that was a group of players that wanted to play for them and were willing to take long term security over short term payouts. If you can convince Stepan, DelZotto, Girardi etc all to be reasonable with their contracts then we should be able to keep the core together.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Great signing by the way, can't go wrong with McDonagh for that money over that term. Hopefully this is the start of what Detroit always had and that was a group of players that wanted to play for them and were willing to take long term security over short term payouts. If you can convince Stepan, DelZotto, Girardi etc all to be reasonable with their contracts then we should be able to keep the core together.

for the money its an excellent deal, the only thing i disagree with is girardi being part of that core...hes aging and we have the depth and prospects to fill his spot in a few years

bsi
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
for the money its an excellent deal, the only thing i disagree with is girardi being part of that core...hes aging and we have the depth and prospects to fill his spot in a few years

He's 29, that's a d-man's prime. I think Vigneault will probably play him less than he has the last couple years and it will benefit his game. I feel the same about DelZotto and maybe McDonagh too. The top 4 will still get big ice time but I'd expect the bottom pair to gain an extra 4 - 5 mins a game.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
He's 29, that's a d-man's prime. I think Vigneault will probably play him less than he has the last couple years and it will benefit his game. I feel the same about DelZotto and maybe McDonagh too. The top 4 will still get big ice time but I'd expect the bottom pair to gain an extra 4 - 5 mins a game.

im looking further down the line, hed have to take a pay cut in his next contract because when it runs out your looking at the younger core jumping ahead of him in the pecking order

i do agree that less ice time will be better for all of them, not to mention our defensive depth with a healthy staal is great, and even better is dylan is ready to go soon, your looking at the defense being similar to this:

staal-dz
mcd-moore
stralman-girardi
mac

big problem with them being a heavy lefthanded d group, not a huge problem though

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 01:35 PM
girardi's deal expires next season and he currently makes more then 3 million, 3.325 to be exact....id like him better at 2.7 or 3

bsi
07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
girardi's deal expires next season and he currently makes more then 3 million, 3.325 to be exact....id like him better at 2.7 or 3

Hard to replace Girardi for less than 3 million.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Hard to replace Girardi for less than 3 million.

thats were the farm system needs to step up, im looking right at mcilrath to fill his spot

i dont dislike girardi, but someone needs to go with andersson, dylan, skeji all coming up in 2-3 years, personally those 3 will replace stralman and girardi in 3 years i hope

bsi
07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
thats were the farm system needs to step up, im looking right at mcilrath to fill his spot

i dont dislike girardi, but someone needs to go with andersson, dylan, skeji all coming up in 2-3 years, personally those 3 will replace stralman and girardi in 3 years i hope

Those guys are potential until they prove otherwise, Girardi will have to be signed next year for sure.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Those guys are potential until they prove otherwise, Girardi will have to be signed next year for sure.

you are probably correct, in which case stralman becomes the odd man out, all in all someone has to go and it wont be moore, mcd, or staal

which leaves stralman, girardi, and mdz

nyr1980
07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
im looking further down the line, hed have to take a pay cut in his next contract because when it runs out your looking at the younger core jumping ahead of him in the pecking order

i do agree that less ice time will be better for all of them, not to mention our defensive depth with a healthy staal is great, and even better is dylan is ready to go soon, your looking at the defense being similar to this:

staal-dz
mcd-moore
stralman-girardi
mac

big problem with them being a heavy lefthanded d group, not a huge problem though

Chicago was heavy left-handed too, as are many teams. Not a huge issue. Good defensemen can switch.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 02:12 PM
just so everyone is aware the rangers will have over 39.5 million in cap space next year, and if we buy out brad after next season, which imo we should that gives us 46 million in cap space to resign:

hank, mdz, girardi, cally, moore, brass, and krieder

nyr1980
07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Great FA class next year.

bsi
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
just so everyone is aware the rangers will have over 39.5 million in cap space next year, and if we buy out brad after next season, which imo we should that gives us 46 million in cap space to resign:

hank, mdz, girardi, cally, moore, brass, and krieder

I'm worried about Hank. I thought we were paying him enough as it was but it appears contracts are continuing up. I'm not all that comfortable paying him much more than were were. It's a lot of money to have in your goalie when other teams are going to the finals with paying half or less as much. I'd hate to start a year without him but if he starts asking for 8 years at 8 mill, I think we should know that before the trade deadline next year.

bsi
07-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Great FA class next year.

I personally think we should stay away from free agency from now on. I'd prefer the home grown route unless you need to get a bonifide star, and we have one in Nash now for a while. Free Agents are getting ridiculous money. It's just insane.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
i happen to agree with bsi, i will say this, kane's contract is up in 2 years, id love to have him, also matt duchene is a favorite of mine

MJL80
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
between McDonagh and Cruz, today, I am very excited for my teams :clap:

Might have to swing by Gerry Cosbys one night this week on my commute home from work and scoop up a McDonagh jerseyyyy :)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 03:21 PM
between McDonagh and Cruz, today, I am very excited for my teams :clap:

Might have to swing by Gerry Cosbys one night this week on my commute home from work and scoop up a McDonagh jerseyyyy :)

The McD deal was a good fair deal. I hope Step falls in line under 4 mill as well.

Cosbys used to have their own brand of hockey gear when I was a kid. I remember a kid wearing it at hockey camp. Do they still do have it? I used to think it was pricey but good stuff.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
The McD deal was a good fair deal. I hope Step falls in line under 4 mill as well.

Cosbys used to have their own brand of hockey gear when I was a kid. I remember a kid wearing it at hockey camp. Do they still do have it? I used to think it was pricey but good stuff.

im pretty sure they dont, at least i havent seen it in years and i still spend a good amount of time in pro shops

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
im pretty sure they dont, at least i havent seen it in years and i still spend a good amount of time in pro shops

LOL it was many years ago. I remember a guy in my unit had their pants and gloves. I thought they looked really big but well padded. I was surprised their had their own line of gear. I never saw it outside of that camp and their own store. I do not think it was sold nationally or in magazines.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
LOL it was many years ago. I remember a guy in my unit had their pants and gloves. I thought they looked really big but well padded. I was surprised their had their own line of gear. I never saw it outside of that camp and their own store. I do not think it was sold nationally or in magazines.

all i remember is the store that used to be in the garden where everything was super expensive, at least thats what my parents told me

MJL80
07-08-2013, 03:38 PM

Sly -- they do not. However, they do have every current ranger player in authentic home and away jerseys, and a pretty good selection of players in the 3rd jersey. I paid $375 for my home Nash back in April.

One of the Cons with Cosbys is that they do not carry any authentic jerseys bigger than size 54 (I like my jerseys big, so my preference would've been a 56). Had no choice but to settle for a 54 (which still fits good -- just a tad tight under the armpits due to the cut of the pro jerseys)

But two of the great Pros of Cosbys: you can try on the jerseys if you're picky, AND they'll customize any jersey with any retired players (something you cant do online). I want an authentic Graves and autherntic Richter 3rd Jersey :)

MJL80
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
all i remember is the store that used to be in the garden where everything was super expensive, at least thats what my parents told me

It's not in the garden anymore, it's across the street from two penn plaza

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah it was in Penn Plaza when I used to go in it. It was pretty expensive but what I liked is they had all sorts of hockey books and magazines that I did not see elsewhere. I do remember they were the place to go to get any jersey you liked any way you liked it BUT once again they were pricey.

$375 for a Nash jersey? Did it come with a motor? My first car was only around $500 :D

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 03:48 PM
It's not in the garden anymore, it's across the street from two penn plaza

haha yea i know, i spend a good amount of time at the garden

MJL80
07-08-2013, 03:53 PM

Great source for hats too..... they sell hats that you won't find anywhere else, some of which they customize. Everything is pricey, but u get what u pay for i guess.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Great source for hats too..... they sell hats that you won't find anywhere else, some of which they customize. Everything is pricey, but u get what u pay for i guess.

I'm frugal but it is always nice to know there is a place you can get what you want if you can not find it elsewhere.

J4KOP99
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Cosbys is the best. I've spent way too much $$ there over the years. Used to be even better when it was in the garden