PDA

View Full Version : Why is no one paying Pekovic?

AddiX
07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
How is this guy not getting paid right now? A true center, a legit inside presence, young, tough, team player, still getting better.

How is this big guy not paid yet? Did I miss something about him?

Santana4Prez'08
07-07-2013, 10:21 PM
pretty sure hes a restricted free agent. minny is almost guaranteed to match what anyone gives him so its not really worth anyones time

Twinsfan24
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
How is this guy not getting paid right now? A true center, a legit inside presence, young, tough, team player, still getting better.

How is this big guy not paid yet? Did I miss something about him?

The Wolves have made him an offer. All that matters now is whether or not he gets other qualifying offers from other teams. The Wolves have said all along that they will match any offer anyways so. Teams will only make an offer to drive up his price.

Regardless he will get 9-11 mil per year in the end and will be in a Wolves uni next season.

*Silver&Black*
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Hawks are/were rumored to be offering him something. RFA, Wolves will most likely match anything. Though they will have to be smart about paying him Max, with Love's contract coming up.

Teams are waiting on offers for RFAs until you can start actually signing players, because I think then the current team only has a couple days to respond.

slaker619
07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
He does deserve better than this should've been signed but, this should make him play even better for next team or he returns to Minny!

ManRam
07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd imagine he will get paid...

The better big men, like Howard and Jefferson have landed on their teams. The other big men like Smith, Millsap and West are settled too. Pek is next (with Bynum). He's the last prize out there...he'll get paid.

Being restricted probably also is playing a role too. Sometimes those take longer to settle...especially when the prevailing thought is that Minny will match.

JEDean89
07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I really like Pekovic, he is young and HUGE, with good fundamentals and a nice offensive game. He is a perfect fit next to Kevin Love, I don't see him going anywhere.

DDynO
07-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Can he defend? Just wondering.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Cause the Dwightmare needed to happen, and Minnesota has basically said they will match any offer.

If some team comes in with a max, have him.

Hawkeye15
07-07-2013, 10:29 PM
btw, Pek isn't that young.....

Jint.
07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Me like Pekovic

WARRIORS@GR
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
He sucks,let him come back to Europe,my team needs him badly.

macc
07-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm glad to see a thread on him. He is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He'll be one of the top 4-5 centers in the league in the next 2 years.

AddiX
07-07-2013, 10:55 PM
I'd imagine he will get paid...

The better big men, like Howard and Jefferson have landed on their teams. The other big men like Smith, Millsap and West are settled too. Pek is next (with Bynum).

Honestly, I'd take pek over all those guys besides Howard and its not even close.

D-Leethal
07-07-2013, 11:07 PM

this

ManRam
07-07-2013, 11:13 PM
My quoting is messed up...

AddiX,

I don't disagree necessarily, depending on fit. Remember, he's not much younger than Jefferson. Depending on what you want from your center that could be a tossup. I do think most teams would prefer Jefferson. But considering price, I'm probably with you.

And it's hard to compare him to the PFs. Detroit has CENTERS, they don't need Pek. The Hawks have a center, so Millsap is a better option. Same with West and Indy.

Cracka2HI!
07-07-2013, 11:14 PM
He seems destined to stay in Minny.

Tony_Starks
07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Wolves are in no rush, they're in the drivers seat. The only real threat would be Portland who was rumored to be contemplating giving him a big offer just to spite them for Batum.

OceanSpray
07-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Timber will match any offer he gets. A lineup of Love+Pek+Ricky+lots of young talent with potential will be great to watch. I actually think they can make the playoffs this year, granted they are healthy.

c.c.
07-07-2013, 11:40 PM

:laugh:

tredigs
07-07-2013, 11:49 PM
I'd say you could call him a solid but not great defender. Efficient scorer who can board pretty well though. Definitely a nice compliment to Love.

*Silver&Black*
07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Sounds like Wolves just offered him a contract. 4 years, 12 mil per.

topdog
07-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Pek has said he likes it in Minnesota and the Wolves have said they will match so I think that has put his name in the backseat.

As far as Nikola's defense: he tries hard, bodies up and moves his feet, but mountains don't jump. He's the one who guards LMA and Blake Griffin when the Wolves play those teams rather than Love.

GiantsSwaGG
07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Rubio made Pek

Devils05
07-08-2013, 12:46 AM
From StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/214541091.html)

The Timberwolves have made a formal contract offer to restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic and waived two players in preparation for Wednesday’s end to the NBA moratorium period.

According to league sources, the Wolves made an offer to Pekovic on Friday and expect to receive a response early this week.

On Sunday, they waived center Greg Stiemsma and swingman Mickael Gelabale in two salary-cap moves designed to clear space to allow them to sign free agents Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger as well as bring back Pekovic on a four-year deal that likely will be worth $12 million a year or more.

They also continue to try to trade guards J.J. Barea and/or Luke Ridnour in an attempt to create more cap space to add another two players through signing or trades.

The Wolves have the right to match any offer Pekovic receives from another team. As of Sunday, he is not believed to have been offered such a deal and the number of teams who have the cap space and desire to sign him had dwindled to one or two.

asandhu23
07-08-2013, 01:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4UQPTORfE

hugepatsfan
07-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Sign him to an offer sheet and Minny matches, locking him up long term. If a team is really serious about adding him and Pek wants to go, his best route is to sign his tender and wait until next year when he has no restrictions. The year of RFA is something players should understand when they sign their deals. They get greedy and think they're free a year early. The team has control of you for one more year when you're a RFA. If you sign an offer sheet you give them the chance to control you for more. Don't sign an offer sheet unless you're willing to accept what happens if they match. Learn from Eric Gordon's mistake.

Guppyfighter
07-08-2013, 02:08 AM
btw, Pek isn't that young.....

Doesn't matter. The way he plays, he can play like that forever.

UPRock
07-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Because he's Minnesota bound.

NYKalltheway
07-08-2013, 05:29 AM

:D

Doubt he returns without Obradovic...

kblo247
07-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Wolves would be better of trading for Asik to cover for the mess that is Love and Bud.

Pek would be offer as a Buck with Sanders at PF IMO as they would make a hell of a two way tandem with Lrry covering the 4

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I think it's his restricted free agent status. If a team signs him to an offer sheet right now, it ties their money up until the T-Wolves decide to match it, during which time other free-agent options might sign with other teams and then the caps space they have save will be wasted on other players.

This has happened to a number of teams in the past.

Bottom line, the T-Wovles are going to match any offer that is thrown at him anyways, so it's a waste of time to even go through the motions.

GMpunk
07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
he will get paid

TheNumber37
07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
he's a RFA. Wolves will match offers, they are letting the market set his price. teams don't want to tie up moneys for something like this.

WhiteSoxGod
07-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Dwight would have sent Barnes packing back to North Carolina.

kblo247
07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
That was early in the year. Gerald Henderson hammed on Dwight early this year

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Honestly. This guy should get the Max. If Roy Hibbert is worth a max deal so is Pek. POR needs to get this guy they've been starving for a Center.

NBA-GMaster
07-08-2013, 10:23 AM
He's a $7-10M guy per year.. He 'll surely return to Minny..

waveycrockett
07-08-2013, 10:32 AM

He's easily worth way more than that.

Clippersfan86
07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Teams should do what they did with DJ and drive the price up to sabotage Minny's finances lol. Sons of biatches. Seriously surprised some lotto team like Cleveland hasn't tried to offer him max of like 13 mill a year starting.

Clippersfan86
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh you know what. I forgot Wednesday when the moratorium lifts. So teams WILL start offering him big money. Reason you don't do it before the 10th is if you do your cap space is 100 percent tied up until it's matched or until the 10th if team declines to match.

AddiX
07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Teams should do what they did with DJ and drive the price up to sabotage Minny's finances lol. Sons of biatches. Seriously surprised some lotto team like Cleveland hasn't tried to offer him max of like 13 mill a year starting.

That's pretty much my point exactly, there's few legit centers in the NBA who can play both sides and are tough. Really makes no sense why no team with the cap and the need wouldnt be making a move for a pek.

People keep saying the Twolves will match any offer. I'm not so sure.

knicksfan1969
07-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I love how a 18 10 guy who plays hard and good D is only worth 7MM while a bum like Bynum is worth 11MM.

Clippersfan86
07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
That's pretty much my point exactly, there's few legit centers in the NBA who can play both sides and are tough. Really makes no sense why no team with the cap and the need wouldnt be making a move for a pek.

People keep saying the Twolves will match any offer. I'm not so sure.

MANY teams have used that as a bluff to scare teams off. Although like I said above.. I expect Pek to get a couple offers this Wednesday. Because at that time Minny will be FORCED by the NBA to match any offer within 24 or 48 hours so the team can move on to another free agent. If offered during this pre moratorium stage you have that cap tied up until the 10th.

AddiX
07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
MANY teams have used that as a bluff to scare teams off. Although like I said above.. I expect Pek to get a couple offers this Wednesday. Because at that time Minny will be FORCED by the NBA to match any offer within 24 or 48 hours so the team can move on to another free agent. If offered during this pre moratorium stage you have that cap tied up until the 10th.

Didn't know that about this wednesday, that def makes sense.

MrfadeawayJB
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Honestly if the wolves offer him a 3-4 yr deal, he will prob have his best days as a twolve. He is 27

Chronz
07-08-2013, 11:49 AM

based on what?

Hawkeye15
07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Doesn't matter. The way he plays, he can play like that forever.

very true, I simply meant don't expect a lot more development from Pekovic.

Stinkyoutsider
07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
What's his price? That's the first thing I would ask. Hope he doesn't price himself out of a good deal...

The TWolves better hope another team doesn't pull what the Rockets pulled with Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik? There was no way the Bulls or Knicks were going to match those offers...

topdog
07-08-2013, 10:54 PM

Such an over-posted and over-rated dunk. If that's your only exposure to Pek then you need to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnMYf_AOZAY If you don't want to watch the whole thing, check out 1:16/1:50/1:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhR5Dnuu_pg 38/ Better angle of Pek's amazing footwork on Duncan @ 1:48

mrblisterdundee
07-09-2013, 12:06 AM
If Paul Allen had any balls he would have paid what it took to take Pekovic from Minnesota. He is the wealthiest NBA owner.