PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be Houston's PF?

CubsBullsBucs
07-06-2013, 03:53 PM
A lot of people thought it would be Josh Smith. Now that he went to Detroit, who will play the 4 in Houston?

CubsBullsBucs
07-06-2013, 03:54 PM
As a Bulls fans I'm hoping Boozer goes to Houston for Asik

Keep3HEATSOnMe
DMO or TJones?

Deception
Ryan Anderson

ManRam
07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
they'll find someone. have faith in morey.

asik is a valuable piece. he won't net a star at all, but they don't need that at PF

flea
07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
A shooter. I wouldn't be surprised if they played a lot with a Beverly-Harden-Garcia-Parsons-Howard small ball lineup unless D-Mo shows he can really contribute. You also have to believe a trade is coming. I'm not sure the Pelicans want to part with Anderson, but someone like Murphy is always available. I think that Houston is done with major moves, except perhaps to get Asik out of town.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:01 PM
IMO, Ryan Anderson isn't a PF. If I was Houston, I would try and make a Ibaka for Asik and some picks.

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Rockets will trade Asik for DHs good bud Boozer, so Boozer will be their PF. XD

douglas
07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Whoever the power forward may be, I expect him to be one of the taller players on the team.

gotoHcarolina52
07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
IMO, Ryan Anderson isn't a PF. If I was Houston, I would try and make a Ibaka for Asik and some picks.

It wont happen, but a Howard-Ibaka front court = :drool:

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Rockets will trade Asik for DHs good bud Boozer, so Boozer will be their PF. XD

This doesn't make sense for Bulls. Why would they have two productive centers in Asik/Noah?

greg_ory_2005
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Whoever the power forward may be, I expect him to be one of the taller players on the team.

:clap:

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Whoever they can get for Asik...

ManRam
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Isn't a PF?

Elaborate. He was a force with Dwight...and proved to be a force without him too.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Isn't a PF?

Elaborate. He was a force with Dwight...and proved to be a force without him too.

I don't think he'll be a great fit with Dwight. They can certainly get someone better than Anderson for Asik.

CubsBullsBucs
07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Bulls need Asik, Houston needs Boozer. Dwight is friends with Boozer, so i am PRAYING that this happens. Asik could back up Noah and Taj could start

FYL_McVeezy
07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I would be more afraid of Houston if they somehow trade for a stretch 4....

Bruno
07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
i think Houston becomes the WC favorite if they can land anderson. perfect compliment to dwight.

dwight is okay on the box heads up. just okay. when he's doubled, he useless because his moves are weak, he's 6'9 out of shoes, and because he can't pass for ****.

but if Houston continues to surround him with these three point aces then you can't double him; he might actually be effective on the box.

and unless he comes back 100% from the surgery, he won't be as dominant as houston fans will hope off the pick and roll. he struggled with the pick and roll all season last year; him and nash never got it going.

RockBearStro
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
I like the idea of having these two develop! Unless LMA or Love come in via trade I'd stand pat

bigsams50
07-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Anderson for Asik just seems like a win win to me

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:24 PM
This doesn't make sense for Bulls. Why would they have two productive centers in Asik/Noah?

Noah can play PF with the best of them, and his shot has only gotten better throughout his career. He was actually projected by many as a PF coming out of college. And even though Noah is DMVP type talent, Asiks a better pure under-the-post shot-blocker/defender. So whatever drop in offense we would have in losing Booz would more than be counter-balanced by such superior defense.

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Two post-defenders who can't shoot is an absolutely terrible FC, offensive combination, albeit it would be a block-party.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Noah can play PF with the best of them, and his shot has only gotten better throughout his career. He was actually projected by many as a PC coming out of college. And even though Noah is DMVP type talent, Asiks a better pure under-the-post shot-blocker/defender.

Asik is not better than Noah at anything other than maybe rebounding. Noah is one of the best defenders and passers. Bulls are a great defensive team as it is. They need Rose back and some scoring. Why do you think they went after RIP? With Rose coming back, he's going to constantly drive to the paint. Asik/Noah will clog the paint, very useless for them. Noah's outside shot isn't better than Boozer and thus Noah at the 4 will lessen his impact on the court. Why do you think Bosh is such a big factor for Miami? He's probably the best shooter at the 4, excluding Dirk.

jp611
NO NO NO... What don't Bulls fans get about spacing the floor? WE NEED SPACING WITH DERRICK ROSE

Clogging the lane with Asik, Noah, and Taj would be ****ing stupid

I love me some Omer... But I would only do it for Taj, then Omer would be our primary backup defensive big off the bench.

Seriously guys... Think before you bash Boozer, because it's ****ing unwarranted.

topdog
Anderson for Asik just seems like a win win to me

Absolutely. NOLA needs a quality center and Houston needs a 4 and preferably a stretch 4. Who loses? Who says "no?"

jp611
Two post-defenders who can't shoot is an absolutely terrible FC, offensive combination, albeit it would be a block-party.

Yet you want to trade Boozer for Asik :laugh2:

Sound logic here

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:28 PM

I don't know what you've been watching but Ibaka is one of the best midrange shooters in NBA at the 4. You want Boozer to come to Rockets when Ibaka has a better shot than him? What kind of logic is this?

flea
07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Absolutely. NOLA needs a quality center and Houston needs a 4 and preferably a stretch 4. Who loses? Who says "no?"

New Orleans because they were building around Anderson and Davis. The only reason they trade for Asik is if they think Davis can't handle defending big centers. I personally think he can and will defend them just fine, and should be the starting center for the Pelicans. They don't need a body like Asik clogging up the paint for their dribble-drive offense.

jp611
07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't know what you've been watching but Ibaka is one of the best midrange shooters in NBA at the 4. You want Boozer to come to Rockets when Ibaka has a better shot than him? What kind of logic is this?

Dude really stepped his game up from mid range... 47 percent shooter from 16-23 feet... Extremely solid

As a rookie he was at 39 percent

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Asik is not better than Noah at anything other than maybe rebounding. Noah is one of the best defenders and passers. Bulls are a great defensive team as it is. They need Rose back and some scoring. Why do you think they went after RIP? With Rose coming back, he's going to constantly drive to the paint. Asik/Noah will clog the paint, very useless for them. Noah's outside shot isn't better than Boozer and thus Noah at the 4 will lessen his impact on the court. Why do you think Bosh is such a big factor for Miami? He's probably the best shooter at the 4, excluding Dirk.

After having watched Asik and Noah throuout their Chicago careers, Asik is clearly the better shot blocker. It's not even debatable. By Asiks last season here opponents literally stopped trying to challenge him in the paint.

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:34 PM

I hate to say it but your logic suffices over mine in this instance.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
It will probably be Donatas Motiejunas. He IS a stretch 4 that has size speed and quickness. He is a legitimate 7-footer that can nail 3's, create his own shot, and cut to the basket at will. He just needs to work on his defense. He needs to add weight. If he does he could be a damn star, say in the mold of Peja Stojakovic

FOXHOUND
Wouldn't make much sense for the New Orleans Pelicans to trade Anderson for Asik, at this point. If that's what they wanted why wouldn't they have just kept Noel and Vasquez at PG?

FOBolous
Bulls need Asik, Houston needs Boozer. Dwight is friends with Boozer, so i am PRAYING that this happens. Asik could back up Noah and Taj could start

Asik wants to leave cause he doesn't want to be a backup

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:37 PM
After having watched Asik and Noah throuout their Chicago careers, Asik is clearly the better shot blocker. It's not even debatable. By Asiks last season here opponents literally stopped trying to challenge him in the paint.

Asik better than Noah at shot blocking? Oh lord, I heard it all. I'm very curious. Can you give me an explanation as to why you think Boozer>Ibaka in terms of shooting? In terms of spacing, Ibaka is a better shooter. That just defeats your argument as to why Boozer would be a better fit. So really, what is your argument? You don't seem to have one at this point.

ManRam
I don't think he'll be a great fit with Dwight. They can certainly get someone better than Anderson for Asik.

You're underrating Anderson big time. He's be an all-star caliber player the last two seasons honestly. The stats back that up (fell off a little the second half last year)

i don't think they'll get much better. and anderson is a MUCH better fit.

i'll just say it as a fact not an opinion: you're wrong about the fit. they are a perfect fit

smiddy012
NO NO NO... What don't Bulls fans get about spacing the floor? WE NEED SPACING WITH DERRICK ROSE

Clogging the lane with Asik, Noah, and Taj would be ****ing stupid

I love me some Omer... But I would only do it for Taj, then Omer would be our primary backup defensive big off the bench.

Seriously guys... Think before you bash Boozer, because it's ****ing unwarranted.

I would trade off whatever we lost in spacing for far superior defense, this isn't about hating Booz. Noah's an elite perimeter defender with exceptionally quick feet, he would thrive at the 4 defending forwards. Also, he is still growing offensively. All Noah would need is an average mid-range shot and it would work phenomally, and he's really not far from that at this point.

jp611
07-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Asik wants to leave cause he doesn't want to be a backup

Asik said one trade suitor that would be ideal to him is the Chicago Bulls

The only way would be is if we traded Taj, because he would have to be the primary defensive backup and he could still get 28-32 minutes a game in that role

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Asik better than Noah at shot blocking? Oh lord, I heard it all.

You're dead wrong here. You haven't watched Noah or Asik play with anywhere near the consistency I have. Asik is not only more athletic than Noah, he is a better shot blocker. Many "experts" have said this throughout Asiks days in Chicago. And I'm not even saying it because they are, this is just a basic observation.

jp611
07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
I would trade off whatever we lost in spacing for far superior defense, this isn't about hating Booz. Noah's an elite perimeter defender with exceptionally quick feet, he would thrive at the 4 defending forwards. Also, he is still goring offensively. All Noah would need is an average mid-range shot and it would work phenomally, and he's really not far from that at this point.

Our defense is already insane... We don't need to clog the paint and make our offense WORSE than it already is

Boozer for Asik is a bad trade... Taj for Asik is all I would do at this point

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:42 PM
You're underrating Anderson big time. He's be an all-star caliber player the last two seasons honestly. The stats back that up (fell off a little the second half last year)

i don't think they'll get much better. and anderson is a MUCH better fit.

i'll just say it as a fact not an opinion: you're wrong about the fit. they are a perfect fit

Ryan has no defense and is a terrible post player. If they want someone to spread the floor, sure, Ryan is great cause he can shoot threes. However, they can grab someone better for Asik. Pelicans would certainly love that trade since they have small guards running the show.

shep33
07-06-2013, 04:42 PM
No way Thibs lets go of Gibson

jp611
07-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Asik and Noah are very comparable in the shot blocking department... In fact Asik's last season with the Bulls he had a 5.0 BLK%... That's insanely good

jp611
No way Thibs lets go of Gibson

Thibs would rather have Asik over Taj

jp611
Ryan has no defense and is a terrible post player. If they want someone to spread the floor, sure, Ryan is great cause he can shoot threes. However, they can grab someone better for Asik. Pelicans would certainly love that trade since they have small guards running the show.

They need someone to space the floor... That's exactly what they need

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:45 PM
You're dead wrong here. You haven't watched Noah or Asik play with anywhere near the consistency I have. Asik is not only more athletic than Noah, he is a better shot blocker. Many "experts" have said this throughout Asiks days in Chicago. And I'm not even saying it because they are, this is just a basic observation.

Dude, get over it. No one agrees with you. The fact that you just said Asik is more athletic than Noah is just downright disrespectful. Asik clogs the paint, Derrick Rose loves the paint. It doesn't make sense for Noah/Asik to both be there. You aren't proving anything right now. I'm still laughing at how you think Asik is more athletic than Noah. Then you say Asik is the better shot blocker? What have you been watching, dude? Noah is the better defender, shot blocker or not.

topdog
07-06-2013, 04:45 PM
New Orleans because they were building around Anderson and Davis. The only reason they trade for Asik is if they think Davis can't handle defending big centers. I personally think he can and will defend them just fine, and should be the starting center for the Pelicans. They don't need a body like Asik clogging up the paint for their dribble-drive offense.

I got the impression that they and most others view Davis as a PF - hence why they had Robin Lopez starting last year. Nothing saying that a center can't set a screen down low either.

ManRam
07-06-2013, 04:46 PM

Disagree with the first part. He plays slightly-above average defense. He's not a good post player, but who cares with Dwight there. He's an ELITE offensive rebounder, he NEVER turns the ball over and he will spread the court tremendously well letting Dwight have room to operate and Harden room to get to the rim.

He's not merely a 3 point shooter. That's a fallacy.

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Our defense is already insane... We don't need to clog the paint and make our offense WORSE than it already is

Boozer for Asik is a bad trade... Taj for Asik is all I would do at this point

Well we agree to disagree then. But I must point out that my plan is highly dependent on Noah's ability to continue to grow his mid-range game. I realize that it isn't the safest bet, but I think the risk could justify the reward.

We are not going to out-score, or "out-offense" the Heat. Only way to beat the Heat in the short term is by dominating the paint on both ends, and then shooting well. I'd take Noah/Asik over Booz/Noah, vs the Heat in a playoff series, in a nanosecond.

jp611
07-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Dude, get over it. No one agrees with you. The fact that you just said Asik is more athletic than Noah is just downright disrespectful. Asik clogs the paint, Derrick Rose loves the paint. It doesn't make sense for Noah/Asik to both be there. You aren't proving anything right now. I'm still laughing at how you think Asik is more athletic than Noah. Then you say Asik is the better shot blocker? What have you been watching, dude? Noah is the better defender, shot blocker or not.

Well the numbers show that they're very similar in shot blocking... So you're completely off base here on your second point

ramz.n
07-06-2013, 04:48 PM
they need bargnani :p

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Chicago's own athletic trainers have said that Asik is more athletic than Noah, they're the ones who measure athleticism for a living, not you, not me. I'm done.

smiddy012
07-06-2013, 04:51 PM

I never said that Asik was a better overall defender btw.

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I got the impression that they and most others view Davis as a PF - hence why they had Robin Lopez starting last year. Nothing saying that a center can't set a screen down low either.

Yeah, but they also immediately traded the center they drafted for a player at a position they already had a good young player at, and then moved Robin Lopez for Tyreke Evans who projects to be the 6th Man behind Holiday and for the 25 games Gordon plays.

Davis was a rookie last year, and he was thin. He needed a year to acclimate to the game and get into that NBA workout program. It seems they are going forward with Davis at C from here on out. Personally I would have just kept Noel and Vasquez, but the team direction seems to be Davis at C.

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
they need bargnani :p

:D

#knickstape

:nod:

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Chicago's own athletic trainers have said that Asik is more athletic than Noah, they're the ones who measure athleticism for a living, not you, not me. I'm done.

Well the numbers show that they're very similar in shot blocking... So you're completely off base here on your second point

I never said that Asik was a better overall defender btw.

It doesn't matter, shot blocking they are pretty much even. But Noah is a more versatile defender, he's also a better defender. Shot blocking falls into defender, if Noah is a better defender, there is no argument for shot blocking because it's practically the same. Look at James, he doesn't block a lot of shots but his defense forces other players to not shoot and take a pass instead. Do you even know what athletic means? Omer Asik may be the bigger body but he's certainly not as athletic than Noah. Even watching them play, you can tell Noah is much more athletic.

jp611
07-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Asik forces people to alter their shots so often

I think he saved the Bulls from losing on about 5 buzzer beaters in his time here

So, yet again, you're just completely disregarding the fact that Asik is ****ing insane on defense... Like maybe the best C in the league defensively

Him and Noah are very similar in terms of skillset on defense

Where Noah pulls away from Asik is on the offensive side of the ball, where he is a great passer, a hustle guy that cleans up on the offensive boards, an improving mid-range shot, and his ability to run the floor like a damn PG at times

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 04:59 PM
The fact is like i said the Rockets have what they need in Donatas Motiejunas. Let's hope his time with the Lithuanian national team he bulks up a little.

flea
07-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Davis has a PF's game but if you can play center then you do usually, since it's much easier to pick up good PFs than it is centers. Davis probably won't turn into the next Hakeem with his post moves, but he doesn't need to since he's such a good shooter. He'll probably develop a lot like Tim Duncan. Tim has a well-rounded power forward's offensive game but typically guards the opposing team's best low-post offensive weapon on defense because he's the best defender on the court.

topdog
07-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah, but they also immediately traded the center they drafted for a player at a position they already had a good young player at, and then moved Robin Lopez for Tyreke Evans who projects to be the 6th Man behind Holiday and for the 25 games Gordon plays.

Davis was a rookie last year, and he was thin. He needed a year to acclimate to the game and get into that NBA workout program. It seems they are going forward with Davis at C from here on out. Personally I would have just kept Noel and Vasquez, but the team direction seems to be Davis at C.

Not wanting to keep a rail-thin offensively-limited injured young center does not indicate in-it-of-itself that NOLA wants Davis at C. Holiday is coming off his first all-star appearance and that's simply something that Vasquez will never be.

Robin Lopez had a good year, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still ROBIN Lopez. The Pelicans saw something they wanted in Tyreke and needed capspace to acquire him. Lopez had a non-guarantee in his contract which makes him the first to go so long as they feel he is expendable.

Davis has a PF's game but if you can play center then you do usually, since it's much easier to pick up good PFs than it is centers. Davis probably won't turn into the next Hakeem with his post moves, but he doesn't need to since he's such a good shooter. He'll probably develop a lot like Tim Duncan. Tim has a well-rounded power forward's offensive game but typically guards the opposing team's best low-post offensive weapon on defense because he's the best defender on the court.

Duncan is a peculiar example because he's played next to a center for most of his career. From Robinson to Rasheo Nesterovic to Francisco Elson, Duncan has started next to center even though many would argue that he actually is a center. Of course, right now he's got Splitter next to him as well so I don't know that any of this suggests that Davis will be played/labeled as a center.

Blitzace137
07-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Don't sleep on Terrence Jones. Kid has raw talent and can shoot eventually he'll be there PF

5ass
07-06-2013, 05:22 PM
They should try to get AK47 if the Anderson deal doesnt work out.

LAKobeBryant
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
they need a pf that can spread the floor and not be a liability on defence

pa_superstar
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
It will probably be Donatas Motiejunas. He IS a stretch 4 that has size speed and quickness. He is a legitimate 7-footer that can nail 3's, create his own shot, and cut to the basket at will. He just needs to work on his defense. He needs to add weight. If he does he could be a damn star, say in the mold of Peja Stojakovic

Gersson Rosas, exec Vice President of basketball operations, asst gm of rockets, and gm of rio grande valley vipers. States in a clutchfans podcast from june 25th, that Donatas Montiejunas weighed in at 257 and in great shape before leaving the states to go back to Europe last month. He will start PF. Everyone is underestimating him. He was a rookie last year and had to take his lumps.

rockets-fan
07-06-2013, 05:43 PM
I love Dmo, and I think Jones brings that fire and explosiveness off the bench. Dmo can shoot the threes mid range and drive, his defense needs work but I think we should give him a shot at the starter spot and trade Asik for a good bench. Unless LMA,Love,Anderson, or Ibaka can be traded for which it seems none of those are reasonable ATM.

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Not wanting to keep a rail-thin offensively-limited injured young center does not indicate in-it-of-itself that NOLA wants Davis at C. Holiday is coming off his first all-star appearance and that's simply something that Vasquez will never be.

Robin Lopez had a good year, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still ROBIN Lopez. The Pelicans saw something they wanted in Tyreke and needed capspace to acquire him. Lopez had a non-guarantee in his contract which makes him the first to go so long as they feel he is expendable.

You say that as if Holiday would have been an All-Star in the west last year, or that he played that much better than Vasquez last year. One thing I didn't realize was that Vasquez was 26 already, I thought he was younger. One things for sure, between Parker, Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Harden and of course Kobe that will be the last All-Star game you see Jrue Holiday play in. It's not like he didn't only make it because of no Rose/rough first half for Deron as it was.

Noel will put on plenty of weight in the NBA weight lifting program, don't really get that comment. I would imagine that they do see Davis being a C when he adds more weight, being that he played almost half his minutes as a rookie at center.

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Don't sleep on Terrence Jones. Kid has raw talent and can shoot eventually he'll be there PF

I like him as well, especially with the addition of Dwight.

pa_superstar
07-06-2013, 06:02 PM
I love Dmo, and I think Jones brings that fire and explosiveness off the bench. Dmo can shoot the threes mid range and drive, his defense needs work but I think we should give him a shot at the starter spot and trade Asik for a good bench. Unless LMA,Love,Anderson, or Ibaka can be traded for which it seems none of those are reasonable ATM.

I disagree with trading asik. If we don't, our bench would look like...
Bev/cannan
Garcia/Anderson
Casspi
Jones/Smith
Asik/Olbrecht

That's a pretty decent bench when you include harden Lin or parson on the floor with any of that group. Asik improves our bench tremendously. And we are said to be talking to Corey brewer. That's an amazing lineup. Who else can say they have two starting caliber C on their roster? When Dwight goes to the bench, we won't lose much.

topdog
07-06-2013, 06:04 PM
You say that as if Holiday would have been an All-Star in the west last year, or that he played that much better than Vasquez last year. One thing I didn't realize was that Vasquez was 26 already, I thought he was younger. One things for sure, between Parker, Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Harden and of course Kobe that will be the last All-Star game you see Jrue Holiday play in. It's not like he didn't only make it because of no Rose/rough first half for Deron as it was.

Noel will put on plenty of weight in the NBA weight lifting program, don't really get that comment. I would imagine that they do see Davis being a C when he adds more weight, being that he played almost half his minutes as a rookie at center.

Do you think Vasquez would have made it in the East though? Because that's really the question. I'm not a Holiday fan, I'm simply saying that he has improved each year and at 22 is a valuable PG or at least appears to be one for a team that wants to re-build quickly and probably isn't sold on Vasquez and his inability to defend effectively (from what I hear).

You don't get a comment referencing other players (especially centers) who have come into the league too thin or with injury red flags and haven't worked out? There's probably an encyclopaedia dedicated to the young centers who were supposed to be so great and who never turned out. What quality does Noel have aside from being an athletic shotblocker? NOLA doesn't look like it wants to wait on a project to develop like say... Tyson Chandler and there seems to be medical concerns which dropped Noel from a "top 3 lock."

c.c.
07-06-2013, 06:13 PM

No way lol

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Do you think Vasquez would have made it in the East though? Because that's really the question. I'm not a Holiday fan, I'm simply saying that he has improved each year and at 22 is a valuable PG or at least appears to be one for a team that wants to re-build quickly and probably isn't sold on Vasquez and his inability to defend effectively (from what I hear).

You don't get a comment referencing other players (especially centers) who have come into the league too thin or with injury red flags and haven't worked out? There's probably an encyclopaedia dedicated to the young centers who were supposed to be so great and who never turned out. What quality does Noel have aside from being an athletic shotblocker? NOLA doesn't look like it wants to wait on a project to develop like say... Tyson Chandler and there seems to be medical concerns which dropped Noel from a "top 3 lock."

Good points all around, fair enough.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Gersson Rosas, exec Vice President of basketball operations, asst gm of rockets, and gm of rio grande valley vipers. States in a clutchfans podcast from june 25th, that Donatas Montiejunas weighed in at 257 and in great shape before leaving the states to go back to Europe last month. He will start PF. Everyone is underestimating him. He was a rookie last year and had to take his lumps.

Yeah he is a real talent. He had been projected as a lottery pick when he came to the U.S. I am really glad to hear he has added bulk. He is actually my favorite player in the NBA. I watched him play in Europe when he was 16 and fell in love with him as a player. I never imagined in my wildest dreams he'd play for the Rockets. Ask any Rockets fan that is regular on this forum. I have been raving about this guy since 2 years before he even came to the U.S.

rockets-fan
07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I disagree with trading asik. If we don't, our bench would look like...
Bev/cannan
Garcia/Anderson
Casspi
Jones/Smith
Asik/Olbrecht

That's a pretty decent bench when you include harden Lin or parson on the floor with any of that group. Asik improves our bench tremendously. And we are said to be talking to Corey brewer. That's an amazing lineup. Who else can say they have two starting caliber C on their roster? When Dwight goes to the bench, we won't lose much.

Asik wants to be traded

koreancabbage
07-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Asik and Howard at the C/PF position

Dwight/Harden is gonna get Asik to stay

FOXHOUND
07-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Seems like a clog nightmare in the paint, which doesn't bode well for Harden and even Lin who do a high percentage of their damage in the paint.

pa_superstar
07-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Morey has already stated that he does not plan to trade asik and the organization has no plans to play both together. Until I see a statement from asik that he doesn't want to be here I won't believe it. Asik is a nice guy. Why would we play them both at the same time when what we lacked last year, which is a reliable backup center, is sitting on our bench right now. Makes no sense to trade asik unless we get a solid starting 4 in return. Which I highly doubt.

jam
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
You've got to be kidding. Donuts is a horrible defender and rebounder,

He's got an intriguing offensive skillset, but he shoots 3's below 30%.

He needs at least 4-5 years to develop the defensive skills necessary to start in this league on a consistent basis, much less start at the 4 for a contender.

The fact is like i said the Rockets have what they need in Donatas Motiejunas. Let's hope his time with the Lithuanian national team he bulks up a little.

Snakeyestx
07-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Just rotate Asik to the 4.. job done.

3 Man 5/4 rotation of Howard/Asik/Smith (Greg Smith) should be just fine.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 07:19 PM

He needs at least 4-5 years to develop the defensive skills necessary to start in this league on a consistent basis, much less start at the 4 for a contender.

You do realize that D-Mo is only 22 years old right? He was a rookie last year if you think that Motiejunas is a bad shooter you have not watched him very much. i have been following the guy since he was a young teen.

The guy has tremendous upside. His ability as a defender and rebounder can be attributed to his lack of size. He was 225 lbs last year and now with his national team he has apparently weighed in at 256, that's 31 lbs. That is one hell of a difference.

His drafting Profile listed these as his strengths:

STRENGTHS:
- Excellent skill-level
- Mismatch Potential
- Scoring instincts
- Ability to create own shot
- Ball-handling skills w/either hand
- Excellent hands
- Excellent Touch
- Footwork/Post-moves
- Turnaround jumper
- Potential
- Left-handed
- Level of competition
- Solid passer
- Ability to run the floor
- Athleticism
- Size for position
- 3-point range
- Pick and pop potential

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

He will surprise people next year.

jam
07-06-2013, 07:27 PM
He's already surprised me. :) I like him as a player, and I think he shows a lot of promise on the offensive end.

Unfortunately, he's your prototypical soft euro-weenie who likes to shoot and score, but is afraid to bang, make contact, mix it up, rebound and defend.

It's not so much his physique or lack of athleticism (he's got great coordination and speed for a big man), but his MENTALITY.

READ THROUGH THE SCOUTING REPORT YOU CITED ONCE AGAIN. THERE IS NO MENTION OF HIS DEFENSIVE SKILLS, REBOUNDING ABILITY, OR DEFENSIVE MINDSET.

edit: it's also a bit deceptive to claim that he is a "rookie." Donuts has been playing professionally since 2008 overseas.

You do realize that D-Mo is only 22 years old right? He was a rookie last year if you think that Motiejunas is a bad shooter you have not watched him very much. i have been following the guy since he was a young teen.

The guy has tremendous upside. His ability as a defender and rebounder can be attributed to his lack of size. He was 215 lbs last year and now with his national team he has apparently weighed in at 256, that's 41 lbs. That is one hell of a difference.

His drafting Profile listed these as his strengths:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas

He will surprise people next year.

jam
07-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Don't be ridiculous. Asik is far too slow and unathletic to play the 4. He'll get destroyed by athletic 4's like Josh Smith and Aldridge.

He'd get embarrassed every single night on both the defensive end and offensive end. Right now, Asik's shooting range is 2 feet. And that's assuming he can even catch the ball in the first place. Asik even routinely blows lay ups. He doesn't have any post moves outside of a catch and dunk.

Asik is a center, period.

Just rotate Asik to the 4.. job done.

3 Man 5/4 rotation of Howard/Asik/Smith (Greg Smith) should be just fine.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 07:48 PM

He's already surprised me. :) I like him as a player, and I think he shows a lot of promise on the offensive end.

Unfortunately, he's your prototypical soft euro-weenie who likes to shoot and score, but is afraid to bang, make contact, mix it up, rebound and defend.

It's not so much his physique or lack of athleticism (he's got great coordination and speed for a big man), but his MENTALITY.

READ THROUGH THE SCOUTING REPORT YOU CITED ONCE AGAIN. THERE IS NO MENTION OF HIS DEFENSIVE SKILLS, REBOUNDING ABILITY, OR DEFENSIVE MINDSET.

edit: it's also a bit deceptive to claim that he is a "rookie." Donuts has been playing professionally since 2008 overseas.

I said his weakest points were his defense and rebounding. The main reason for this "Euro weeny" as you call him is strength building. This is the main reason for his lack of rebounding and defense. The problem is he got pushed around too much last year. But as I said he has added 30 lbs that is a lot for an athlete.

Kevin McHale and Olajuwon will continue to work with him to make him bulk up even more probably or at least to the point they feel he can defend his position better without losing his slash ability and quickness. Mentality has nothing to do with his bulk, Europeans run into this problem a lot. He is already correcting it, however.

The main thing we need from our 4 position is shooting and slashing, two things he does well. We have Dwight to bang around in the paint with, D-Mo is a stretch 4 meant to space the floor and provide shooting. The ability to slash mixed with his shooting ability will cause defenders to play out on him bringing heat away from Howard.

Mark my words he will be an excellent compliment next year.

As far as being a rookie, that's like saying you can't consider anyone drafted is a rookie because they have been playing basketball since they were in high school. D-Mo was playing over there in his teams, he had not even came into his man-body yet.

dodie53
07-06-2013, 09:12 PM
asik for pau.
hehe

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 09:18 PM
asik for pau.
hehe

Money doesn't match. Lakers would have to take Lin and Asik.

pa_superstar
07-06-2013, 09:44 PM
asik for pau.
hehe

Never going to happen

NBA-GMaster
07-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Dwight @ PF or Asik @ PF.. Lin, Harden, Parsons, Howard and Asik (twin towers)..

Losoway
07-07-2013, 02:32 AM
they should just play parsons at the 4 like they did in the playoffs.

5ass
07-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Trade Asik for JJ Hickson?

5ass
07-07-2013, 03:32 AM
They actually dont really need a PF. A rotation of Parsons, Donatas and Jones or Smith is fine. One of them will assume the starting PF role and excel at it.

Krizzle88
07-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Lin
Harden
Parsons
Howard
Osik
:ohno:

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 12:10 PM
they should just play parsons at the 4 like they did in the playoffs.

They will do that in stretches. Chandler Parsons is very versatile. In that scenario who starts at the 3?

poleandreel
07-07-2013, 12:36 PM
They will do that in stretches. Chandler Parsons is very versatile. In that scenario who starts at the 3?

garcia

DDynO
07-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Terrence Jones should be our PF.

Jint.
07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Terrence Jones should be our PF.

very possible

BcEuAbRsS
07-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Three team trade.

Chicago send Boozer to Houston

Houston send Asik to Miami

Miami sends Bosh to Chicago

ManRam
07-07-2013, 02:29 PM
i think "twin towers" lineups in today's NBA will hurt you far more often than they'll help you...especially if asik is involved in it.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 02:35 PM
garcia

That would make for an interesting lineup but I don't think that maximizes the Rockets lineup value. I still say Motiejunas as the stretch 4 makes the most sense.

i think "twin towers" lineups in today's NBA will hurt you far more often than they'll help you...especially if asik is involved in it.

I think if Asik was traded to the Pelicans and you put him next to Anthony Davis you'd have one hell of a Twin-Tower there.

That defensive front-court tandem would be nasty.

Sportfan
07-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Why the **** is this athread

can i ask who will be the celtics C?

ManRam
07-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I think if Asik was traded to the Pelicans and you put him next to Anthony Davis you'd have one hell of a Twin-Tower there.

That defensive front-court tandem would be nasty.

I think that would work fine because I think Davis can be a "true PF". Asik/Howard would not work. There's no reason to keep him on their team because he'd have to be a backup and backing up Dwight Howard is a roster spot of little importance.

flea
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Agreed. There is no real need for it because basically no team has 2 good low-post weapons. In today's NBA of zone defenses and shooters everywhere, a plodding center is pointless if you have a well-rounded offensive player like Davis who can also protect the rim.

I could see it making sense if Asik had any semblance of an offensive game, but he doesn't really. The Pelicans offense will be a lot like the Bulls's - lots of dribble-drive penetration and kickouts. That's why they play Noah at the 5. He's undersized as a center but the naysayers are gone now because he's proven to be an elite post defender in spite of his slight frame.

Denverbronco007
07-07-2013, 02:44 PM

ah, NO

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Why the **** is this athread

can i ask who will be the celtics C?

Because the Rockets are currently a Title contender while the Celtics won't be for a long time.

I think that would work fine because I think Davis can be a "true PF". Asik/Howard would not work. There's no reason to keep him on their team because he'd have to be a backup and backing up Dwight Howard is a roster spot of little importance.

I agree for the most part. But Asik would be the best bench center in basketball. The Rockets would have a really excellent bench with Asik, Garcia, Terrence Jones, Greg Smith, and Patrick Beverly. The Rockets bench could be the best defensive bench in the NBA.

YoungOne
07-07-2013, 03:02 PM

ryan anderson isnt a PF?

todu82
I think they trade Asik and the asking price will be a starting power forward.

Denverbronco007

Not sure if that combo would work. Defensively it would probably be great, but not on offense

FOBolous
07-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Garcia like in the playoffs.

DillyDill
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Wait guys teams have won rings with Tower lineups. Spurs, Lakers even you guys had Ralph and The Dream at one point so why trade it?

akesh99
07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
What about Asik to the Kings? Rox could take Patterson back + Thornton if Sac wants to dump his contract or Jimmer. Kings could move Cousins to the 4. Talking about twin towers Cousins and Asik would be really nicee

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Garcia like in the playoffs.

Yeah but we would have up some major size. The only thing is Dwight would help curtail any defensive lapses due to lack of size.

Nonbar
07-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Asik should remain as the starting Center. Howard back to his comfort role at the 4. Not sure why people is pegging Dwight at the 5. At least stick with that lineup til the trading deadline to see how well it works with the possibility of him being traded if not.

lajoie
07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Asik should remain as the starting Center. Howard back to his comfort role at the 4. Not sure why people is pegging Dwight at the 5. At least stick with that lineup til the trading deadline to see how well it works with the possibility of him being traded if not.

You've clearly never watched basketball if you think Dwight Howard plays as a 4.

FriedTofuz
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
asik for boozer, and then noah for aldridge. Trade Deng for Gordon

Rose
Gordon
Free agent
Aldrige
Asik

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 06:04 PM
asik for boozer, and then noah for aldridge. Trade Deng for Gordon

Rose
Gordon
Free agent
Aldrige
Asik

Rockets don't want Carlos Boozer and I'm a Duke fan. We might take Deng if we could make that happen.

Vinny642
07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Honestly IDK why they dont play around with the Asik-Howard front court

tredigs
07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Honestly IDK why they dont play around with the Asik-Howard front court

It seems like they're going to try to, but I personally have no clue how that works with neither being able to pass or shoot outside of the key.

5ass
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
It seems like they're going to try to, but I personally have no clue how that works with neither being able to pass or shoot outside of the key.

That would be horrible. They're going to clog up the lane for Harden and Lin.

BcEuAbRsS
07-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Rockets don't want Carlos Boozer and I'm a Duke fan. We might take Deng if we could make that happen.

Deng could probably be a stretch 4 in all honesty, I just don't see how that would help the Bulls unless they could get a third involved to move Noah for an all-star caliber 2 or 3.

PhillyFaninLA
07-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I think Thad Young would be a great fit for Houston now. I think a conditional first or second round pick and Asik for Thad and Jason Richardson (expiring contract) would be a good deal for both teams and the money works.

This would give the Sixers a chance to resign, trade, or let Asik walk for the salary cap space and get another pick and it would give Thad a chance to really excel and an expiring 3 point shooter for Houston.

edit: I know they said they don't want to trade Asik but what are they supposed to say.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Deng could probably be a stretch 4 in all honesty, I just don't see how that would help the Bulls unless they could get a third involved to move Noah for an all-star caliber 2 or 3.

I don't think the Bulls want to get rid of Noah. But I'm sure the Rockets could offer Asik and picks. Maybe throw in a Terrence Jones with the Bulls adding something as well.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 07:05 PM

I don't think the Bulls want to get rid of Noah. But I'm sure the Rockets could offer Asik and picks. Maybe throw in a Terrence Jones with the Bulls adding something as well.

Jatman20
07-07-2013, 07:09 PM
If the Rockets can't pry Kevin Love from the T-wolves or L. Aldridge from Portland, perhaps Toronto could use a good Center to get Rudy Gay rebounds (Asik). Amir Johnson shot about 38% from 3's last year.. I believe Toronto could use the stretch provision on final year of the contract of Asik. Would be a steal of a deal. I will be honest I don't know much about Amir Johnson. Would he be a compliment to Dwight Howard's game???

BcEuAbRsS
07-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Swapping Noah and Asik probably doesn't interest either team.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 07:11 PM
If the Rockets can't pry Kevin Love from the T-wolves or L. Aldridge from Portland, perhaps Toronto could use a good Center to get Rudy Gay rebounds (Asik). Amir Johnson shot about 38% from 3's last year i believe. I think Toronto could use the stretch provision on Asik final year of his contract. Would be a steal of a deal. I will be honest I don't know much about Amir Johnson. Would he compliment Dwight Howard's game???

I definitely don't want Rudy Gay, good player he is over-priced. Memphis was smart to get rid of him.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Swapping Noah and Asik probably doesn't interest either team.

Bulls wouldn't do it. I'd LOVE Noah on the Rockets. I am a UF alum so I LOVE Joakim.

ManRam
07-07-2013, 07:13 PM
If the Rockets can't pry Kevin Love from the T-wolves or L. Aldridge from Portland, perhaps Toronto could use a good Center to get Rudy Gay rebounds (Asik). Amir Johnson shot about 38% from 3's last year i believe. I think Toronto could use the stretch provision on Asik final year of his contract. Would be a steal of a deal. I will be honest I don't know much about Amir Johnson. Would he compliment Dwight Howard's game???

i respect the **** out of morey but i'll tell you right now: they aren't prying either of those two.

they should avoid Gay like the plague. amir johnson would be solid since he's a true 4. not a tremendous compliment because he doesn't stretch the court too much. better than some, but not like a ryan anderson could. i think toronto is pretty fond of johnson though.

Lo Porto
07-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Seems crazy since there is another thread where GS and Houston fans are competing for who is better, but wouldn't this make sense:

Lin and Asik for David Lee

Why for GS: Bogut is so injury prone and Asik gives them great depth down low. GS has to hate Lee's contract which is one year longer than Lin and Asik's. Lin isn't awesome but GS needs another quality pg.

Why for Houston: Lee could make them a contender even if he has a bad contract. He fits next to the other guys in that offense.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Seems crazy since there is another thread where GS and Houston fans are competing for who is better, but wouldn't this make sense:

Lin and Asik for David Lee

Why for GS: Bogut is so injury prone and Asik gives them great depth down low. GS has to hate Lee's contract which is one year longer than Lin and Asik's. Lin isn't awesome but GS needs another quality pg.

Why for Houston: Lee could make them a contender even if he has a bad contract. He fits next to the other guys in that offense.

Nah don't want that contract. Lee is a good player but not at a contract higher than James Harden's.

Lo Porto
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Nah don't want that contract. Lee is a good player but not at a contract higher than James Harden's.

The same deal for Boozer works.

MonroeFAN
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I hear C. Villanueva is available.

Lo Porto
07-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Asik for Gerald Wallace could be interesting if Houston plays a small 4 with Dwight. Houston could probably get one of those Net picks out of that deal too.

WhiteSoxGod
07-07-2013, 07:55 PM
The same deal for Boozer works.

I don't want Boozer either. That's why I would prefer someone like Ryan Anderson. He is an impactful player, a stretch 4, and on a decent contract.

Jatman20
07-07-2013, 08:00 PM
No....Amir Johnson and maybe picks for Asik. Throw in DeRozan if not picks. Olynyk would compliment Dwight well. Lets call Boston.

beasted86
07-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Houston should try and get Brandon Bass form the Celtics.
I feel like he would be a good fit, and the Celtics could use a Center like Asik.

Bass + Courtney Lee for Asik?

Lo Porto
07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Houston should try and get Brandon Bass form the Celtics.
I feel like he would be a good fit, and the Celtics could use a Center like Asik.

Bass + Courtney Lee for Asik?

Boston should do that. Asik, Rondo, Wallace, Green, and Bradley is a decent roster that works. And Boston probably wants to shed Lee's contract anyway.

tredigs
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
No....Amir Johnson and maybe picks for Asik. Throw in DeRozan if not picks. Olynyk would compliment Dwight well. Lets call Boston.

Would be great for Houston, bad for Toronto. They like Amir and have/love Jonas Valanciunas at center.

Jatman20
07-07-2013, 08:34 PM
JJ Hickson just signed with Denver...gives them about 4 power forwards. Houston should go after Faried or Gallanari. Maybe something is in the works???

5ass
07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
JJ Hickson just signed with Denver...gives them about 4 power forwards. Houston should go after Faried or Gallanari. Maybe something is in the works???

Wilson Chandler if he can stay healthy would be a good player to have next to Dwight, but why would the Nuggets want Asik if they have McGee? Maybe a 3 team trade?
I think Ilyasova would be a good option as well, but the Bucks have Sanders.

WhiteSoxGod
07-08-2013, 12:08 AM

I would love Danilo Gallinari but I highly doubt he is available to the Rockets.

CubsBullsBucs
07-08-2013, 01:10 AM
they should go after michael sweetney

CubsBullsBucs
07-08-2013, 01:17 AM
they should go after michael sweetney

kblo247
07-08-2013, 04:57 AM
Trade Asik to Dallas for Marion? Its been a while but he was a solid stretch 4 for a while, and that could work. Same with a sign and trade of AK47 of Minny can't meets Peks price and because Love and Bud defend like ****

WhiteSoxGod
07-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Trade Asik to Dallas for Marion? Its been a while but he was a solid stretch 4 for a while, and that could work. Same with a sign and trade of AK47 of Minny can't meets Peks price and because Love and Bud defend like ****

Unless we're trying to get Dirk, don't expect a trade with a division rival.

GMpunk
07-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Asik will play FC

WhiteSoxGod
07-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Forward center? I would rather have Howard playing at the 4 spot if him and Asik are on the court together.

ChiSox219
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Unless we're trying to get Dirk, don't expect a trade with a division rival.

I'm pretty sure Morey doesnt buy into the don't trade within your own division nonsense this isn't baseball. If there's a good deal to be made Morey will make it but Asik for Marion is not a good move

slashsnake
07-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Hmmm, I think with Dwight there, I might be more looking for a stretch four than your usual one. I do like the idea of a Wilson Chandler type.

The Nuggets are full of bigs even without Koufus, but their need is at SG/SF right now. I'd think a third team there would be best.

Or maybe they get a real PF (Dejuan Blair? Hansborough?) on a mid level exeption and pair him with Motejinuiesiweuroi ( can't spell that, so I won't try) and split their minutes?

GMpunk
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM

STL Don
07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Thomas Robinson

WhiteSoxGod
07-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Thomas Robinson

He's not on the team anymore