PDA

View Full Version : Mavs interested in Bynum

eternal slumber
07-06-2013, 11:19 AM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Mavs' post-Dwight interest in Bynum is legit. They ARE pursuing him. Yet it's been made clear they'll make detailed/careful evaluation first

as expected.

wonder how much and how long his contract would be.

J4KOP99
07-06-2013, 11:29 AM
If he is healthy (and that's a huge "if") he is an absolute beast.

beasted86
07-06-2013, 11:32 AM
They don't have enough even with Dirk to make him effective.

I can see things getting ugly when he's constantly doubled when Dirk goes out of the game and he's forced to play as the man on a weaker team.

waveycrockett
07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Where is LTBabyy?

Bruno
07-06-2013, 11:38 AM
great fit for both sides.

If Dallas can land another all-star level player to pair with Dirk and Bynum they'll be competitive.

shep33
07-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Cuban needs to be careful about this one

TheNumber37
07-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Sadly, whoever gets him will have to slightly overpay.
I'f I'm Cuban, I'm thinking Short term as in 3 years 36 million.

Ebbs
07-06-2013, 11:44 AM
This scares me. I mean if we're sure he'll be healthy and compete awesome. If not nah **** him

ElChinoLatino
07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Yes sign him for three years with that Brandon Roy injury rule and void his contract if he gets a season ending injury

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2013, 11:51 AM
:facepalm: are you ****ing kidding me?

shep33
07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
The contract for Bynum should have a team option after year 1

abe_froman
07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
worth the gamble,depending on price.people forget how good he was those final years in la

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2013, 11:58 AM
worth the gamble,depending on price.people forget how good he was those final years in la

He was a good bowler too and look what happen

MFFL2008
07-06-2013, 12:00 PM
He is worth the gamble IMO... Just like the MAVS did with Chandler in 2010. How did that gamble turn out?
;)

FYL_McVeezy
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
D12 consolation prize

THE MTL
07-06-2013, 12:05 PM
injured and unmotivated. But at this point dallas has nothing to lose. They broke up a championship team only to miss the playoffs and strike out in free agency 2 consecutive years.

They might be well try with oden too lol

GiantsSwaGG
07-06-2013, 12:05 PM
He is worth the gamble IMO... Just like the MAVS did with Chandler in 2010. How did that gamble turn out?
;)

Wolves took a gamble in Roy, how did that turn out
;)

xxplayerxx23
07-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Bynum would be worth a risk. Depending on how much they offer

blastmasta26
07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I would be VERY wary of signing Bynum, but the Mavs might as well go for it.

RipCity32
07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
What else are the Mavs gonna do?Its time to take a chance and gamble for them because they aren't ready to rebuild apparently as long as Dirk is still able to play.

astonmartin10
07-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I think Dallas can afford the gamble.

Bruno
07-06-2013, 12:22 PM

x2 they have nothing to lose.

depending on how healthy he is, Bynum could be a monster next season. high risk player with a high risk owner; seems like a match made in heaven to me. id be shocked if bynum doesnt end up a maverick. watch him put up 24/12 this year only for people to talk about how Dallas was one of the biggest winners in FA 2013

ragman
07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't do it. From what I hear, his knees are very bad.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 12:31 PM
He might be a better player than D12 so it could be a blessing. He and Dirk would fit wonderfully

waveycrockett
07-06-2013, 12:34 PM
He might be a better player than D12 so it could be a blessing. He and Dirk would fit wonderfully

Not at basketball.

beasted86
07-06-2013, 12:43 PM
x2 they have nothing to lose.

depending on how healthy he is, Bynum could be a monster next season. high risk player with a high risk owner; seems like a match made in heaven to me. id be shocked if bynum doesnt end up a maverick. watch him put up 24/12 this year only for people to talk about how Dallas was one of the biggest winners in FA 2013

Or.... just maybe he sits the whole season again and becomes Greg Oden 2.0

Bynum's contract is uninsurable, and if he was healthy he'd be working out for teams and showing it. Last we saw of Bynum the guy looked a good 20 lbs out of shape and Doug Collins said he looked terrible out on the floor. This is not the guy to gamble on. He's the guy who told a HOF Center, possibly the best of all time that he had nothing else to learn from him. He's the guy who delayed knee surgery until after his vacation, and caused him to miss the first 2 months of the season, and in an interview he said he'd do it again. He's also the guy who reinjured his knee bowling.

The Sixers have said his knees have gotten worse after the trade and surgeries and they are degenerative. 0% chance he averages career highs next season.

Stunner
07-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Most I'll give him is 8 million with a team option . If he's healthy sign him long term

waveycrockett
07-06-2013, 12:44 PM

IF Bynum accepts some type of incentive laden deal. He wont.

stipe1280
07-06-2013, 12:48 PM
;)

And how did the Shawn Bradley gamble work out? How about the Erick Dampier gamble? How about the Desagna Diop gamble? ....honestly the list could go on.

Citing the one moment "lightning was caught in a bottle" doesn't suggest that odds are in the Mavs favor on this one.

Bruno
07-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Or.... just maybe he sits the whole season again and becomes Greg Oden 2.0

Bynum's contract is uninsurable, and if he was healthy he'd be working out for teams and showing it. Last we saw of Bynum the guy looked a good 20 lbs out of shape and Doug Collins said he looked terrible out on the floor. This is not the guy to gamble on. He's the guy who told a HOF Center, possibly the best of all time that he had nothing else to learn from him. He's the guy who delayed knee surgery until after his vacation, and caused him to miss the first 2 months of the season, and in an interview he said he'd do it again. He's also the guy who reinjured his knee bowling.

The Sixers have said his knees have gotten worse after the trade and surgeries and they are degenerative. 0% chance he averages career highs next season.

what other options do they have?

cubans plan backfired and he owes dirk playoff team. they will sign him.

abe_froman
07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
And how did the Shawn Bradley gamble work out? How about the Erick Dampier gamble? How about the Desagna Diop gamble? ....honestly the list could go on.

Citing the one moment "lightning was caught in a bottle" doesn't suggest that odds are in the Mavs favor on this one.
no,but the mavs have no alternative ,so why not?

bleedprple&gold
07-06-2013, 01:04 PM
;)

You forgot Brendan Haywood. Mavs have laundry list of terrible big man signings. Anything more than 1 year guaranteed is too big of a risk.

JOSKOMANG4
07-06-2013, 01:07 PM
This has "Brendan Haywood" written all over it.

Bynum can't work in an up-tempo offense. I rather see Dallas do the following...

1- resign Chris kaman & sign m.ellis(2yr 24mill).

C-kaman pf-dirk sf-Marion sg-Ellis pg-Calderon

2- ownership in Memphis might be willing to trade away Marc gasol or zach Randolph. I'd say Marion & 1st for Randolph/gasol.

Avenged
07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Nothing to lose as long as they don't give him a ludicrous deal. I'm guessing hes going to sign where they give him the most money with the most years. It's Andrew "there's a bank in every city" Bynum.

ThuglifeJ
07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. My memories not workin right now. Bynum has way more hype and potential to be a great Center than Haywood, definitely Dampier, Diop, Bradley, Kaman, and even Chandler.

we all know the risks with Bynum, but any other signing would put them at mediocrity. Signing Bynum can make them a really good team or a really bad team. I'd take the gamble rather sit in the middle.

I do remember the Haywood hype...but I dont think he was ever on the level of Bynum. Or was he?

Chronz
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Not at basketball.
Yes, at basketball

Lemme know if we can predict injuries tho

Avenged
07-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. My memories not workin right now. Bynum has way more hype and potential to be a great Center than Haywood, definitely Dampier, Diop, Bradley, Kaman, and even Chandler.

we all know the risks with Bynum, but any other signing would put them at mediocrity. Signing Bynum can make them a really good team or a really bad team. I'd take the gamble rather sit in the middle.

I do remember the Haywood hype...but I dont think he was ever on the level of Bynum. Or was he?

Bynum was being discussed as a rival to Dwight when he made the all-star team due to him actually having an offensive game. Heck, he would most probably have been the best center last season if he didn't miss the season.

The reward for Bynum will be great, but if he's injured you're taking on a big gamble depending on the contract.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Everything that is wrong with the NBA, it's Bynum. Maybe Cuban can straighten him out.

stipe1280
07-06-2013, 01:49 PM
no,but the mavs have no alternative ,so why not?

There is an alternative. Rebuild. Stop spending money on stopgaps and delaying the day when Dirk can no longer carry the team. Trade him (and anyone else they can) for players for the future.

A 32 year old Calderon and crippled Bynum aren't going to deliver a championship...so why bother. There's no sense in maintaining the status quo (first round playoff exits) just to get by.

Shareeb_omac2
07-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Bynum can't work in an up-tempo offense. I rather see Dallas do the following...

2- ownership in Memphis might be willing to trade away Marc gasol or zach Randolph. I'd say Marion & 1st for Randolph/gasol.
Mavs don't run an up tempo offense...

abe_froman
07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
There is an alternative. Rebuild. Stop spending money on stopgaps and delaying the day when Dirk can no longer carry the team. Trade him (and anyone else they can) for players for the future.

A 32 year old Calderon and crippled Bynum aren't going to deliver a championship...so why bother. There's no sense in maintaining the status quo (first round playoff exits) just to get by.
from a fan standpoint i get that.but theres a front office view that fans never think about,there's money to be made in being a playoff team even if you have no shot at winning...thats why they bother,why it makes sense from their standpoint

you guys wont rebuild until dirk retires

waveycrockett
07-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Yea they'd definitely do that for sure.

waveycrockett
07-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Yes, at basketball

Lemme know if we can predict injuries tho

Your right we can predict cracked knees but even still Dwight used to dominate Bynum. It's not close between those 2. Dwight is on another level.

lakers4sho
07-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Do the LT :dance:

Jenceman
07-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm rooting for Bynum. Go get em dude

LTBaByyy
07-06-2013, 02:48 PM
We have 10 mil in cap space, if I was Cuban:

1) Sign Bynum for 3 year, 30 mil (Exhibit 3 in the new CBA states if you have Exhibit 3 in the contract and the player doesn't meet the requirements, you can avoid the contract and only pay like 2 mil a year for each year of the contract)

2) Sign and trade Monta Ellis (4 years, 36 mil) for Shawn Marion 9.4 expiring contract. Bucks need a SF

3) Start Jae Crowder at SF
(If you watched any of the Mavs games last year he reminds me of a young Artest, we put him on Durant, James, Melo, and he did a great job on defense and shoots 3s. Carlisle loves him)

4) Use MLE on JJ Hickson

5) Use the mini MLE on Corey Brewer

5) Get back to being the under the radar team that always makes the playoffs and competes

Calderon
Ellis
Crowder
Dirk
Bynum

Larkin/Mekel
Vince Carter/Ricky Ledo
Corey Brewer
JJ Hickson
Brandan Wright/Bernard James

bballplayer5701
07-06-2013, 03:29 PM
What would be nice is if we get Bynum via the 'Exhibit 3 Provision Clause' where if he does get injured then we get to be out of his contract, somehow get Ellis in a S&T with Milwaukee (even though they said they wouldn't but who knows maybe they will change their mind). And an interesting thing that came up a week or so ago was that LaMarcus Aldridge wanted out of Portland and apparently Chicago and Dallas would be two spots he would like to play. Any of you guys think it would be possible to get Aldridge somehow, with a trade surrounding Marion and our young guys, we would most likely need a 3rd team since we don't have the assets unless they'd be interested in B Wright. I think two out of these 3 players would be great for Dallas, we don't have to look at just free agents because their aren't many left, but Aldridge IMO would be a great "shiny piece" for the Mavs to attract a FA next year when Dirk is off the books, and throw in Ellis and/or a healthy Byunum then it could get interesting.

Heres a link for Aldridge's salary over the next two years

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm

Losoway
07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
ya mav fans are desperate . he is worth the gamble with no knees right

Bruno
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
We have 10 mil in cap space, if I was Cuban:

1) Sign Bynum for 3 year, 30 mil (Exhibit 3 in the new CBA states if you have Exhibit 3 in the contract and the player doesn't meet the requirements, you can avoid the contract and only pay like 2 mil a year for each year of the contract)

2) Sign and trade Monta Ellis (4 years, 36 mil) for Shawn Marion 9.4 expiring contract. Bucks need a SF

3) Start Jae Crowder at SF
(If you watched any of the Mavs games last year he reminds me of a young Artest, we put him on Durant, James, Melo, and he did a great job on defense and shoots 3s. Carlisle loves him)

4) Use MLE on JJ Hickson

5) Use the mini MLE on Corey Brewer

5) Get back to being the under the radar team that always makes the playoffs and competes

Calderon
Ellis
Crowder
Dirk
Bynum

Larkin/Mekel
Vince Carter/Ricky Ledo
Corey Brewer
JJ Hickson
Brandan Wright/Bernard James

not too bad man. i'm rooting for dallas to get back into the playoff hunt. dirk deserves it and so do the fans.

topdog
07-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Might as well. The last 2 years have produced nothing and Dirk's time is fading. He and the big German could be a nice inside-outside duo.

Deception
07-06-2013, 05:20 PM

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I wonder if he'll work out for them before signing him.