PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 NBA free agent class is extremely overrated

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 04:16 AM
The vaunted 2014 free agent class is a myth. It doesn't exist. The highlight of the 2014 free agency class starts and ends with LeBron James, who can potentially terminate his contract with the Miami Heat and become an unrestricted free agent next July. At that point, he'll be able to sign with any team he wishes with the requisite cap room, which as of today, includes the Los Angeles Lakers.

Beyond James? There isn't much there. Let's break down the list as it stands today:

Unrestricted free agents: Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Danny Granger, Luol Deng and Andrew Bogut

Do any of those guys look like franchise saviors to you? Both Bryant and Dirk will be 35+, and neither is expected to leave his current team. Gasol is an attractive option even at 34 in a year's time, but if he was such a great option to build around, the Lakers would be proceeding with that now. Andrew Bogut could be a franchise changing player who will be only 29, but he does most of what Dwight Howard does, except missing more games due to injury and he, quite frankly, isn't as good as D12. Deng and Granger are really nice players, but both will be 30 next year and have had a very real recent history of injury problems. Even at their fully healthy peaks, there's some debate as to whether they're better building blocks than Howard. Personally, it's not even a debate.

Restricted free agents: Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Derrick Favors, Eric Bledsoe, Greg Monroe, DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George

Restricted free agency is: when a player can sign an offer sheet with another team (meaning a team can offer him years and money), but his former team has the ability to match any contract offer. The most recent example is Eric Gordon having his 4 year, $58 million dollar offer sheet from the Phoenix Suns matched by the New Orleans Hornets last off-season. Gordon was quoted as saying "his heart is with the Suns", but NOLA had no responsibility to bend to their shooting guard's whims.

Irving, Wall, Monroe and George? You want a premium free agent with youth on his side? You got it!

But not really. As explained above, these players will only be free agents insofar as they can get offers from other teams, but could have their contracts fully matched by their current teams. Cleveland, Washington, Detroit and Indiana are not letting their young stars go, even if another squad offers a maximum contract. None of those franchises have had the most solid leadership over the years, but it's almost a no-brainer to keep around these players who are entering their primes but won't have even hit their 26th birthdays next year. None of these players are coming to the Lakers barring a serious injury, in which case handing out a large contract would be a very controversial decision.

Bledsoe, Cousins and Favors are both questionable additions here, but whoever their teams are at the end of next year will almost assuredly match contract terms based on sheer potential. Even still, is the Lakers fan base salivating at the notion of starting anew with a 36 year-old Kobe, a 41 year-old Steve Nash and either Eric Bledsoe and Derrick Favors?

The bottom line? These players are free agents in name only. There is close to zero percent chance they will be wearing purple and gold in a year.

Early Termination Option: LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony

Early termination option is: when a player can end his contract prematurely and become an unrestricted free agent. This is much more common in baseball when a player in his prime opts out of his deal in order to sign for more years and more money. Of course, the player can forgo his ETO and continue on with the deal he originally signed.

First and foremost: Amar'e Stoudemire is not electing to punch his ETO. He's got $23 million coming to him, which is a bigger sum of money than he'll probably make the rest of his career. Besides, his best days are behind him; no one is looking to STAT as a building block.

Bosh and Wade are much better players than they may appear when playing next to James and subjugating their skills for the sake of winning, but more than likely won't be franchise cornerstones in a year's time. Wade has broken down the last 3 postseasons and will be 32 next summer. Bosh will be just 30, and even as a twenty-something in Toronto, didn't prove himself as being someone that could carry a team.

If any team is looking forward to next summer to find a franchise building block, the answer is singular: LeBron James. He is the only player potentially reaching unrestricted free agency that could be a complete game changer for any team looking to build from the ground up. Any organization clearing cap room, including the Lakers, has to have one name in mind. And that's it. Next summer we're not talking about multiple options if Dwight Howard leaves: there is only one option. If Howard walks and LeBron re-signs in Miami or returns to Cleveland, LA has no other fallback plans. 2014 is about getting a shot at LeBron James, period. Considering the reigning MVP's greatness, it's not a terrible plan, but is a gigantic gamble.

In 12 months, there is one target: LeBron James. That is it. This is not a situation where Dwight Howard leaves and the Lakers will be back on their feet in a year. The rebuilding will most likely be delayed another year, when the targets will be Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, Rajon Rondo and LaMarcus Aldridge could all become free agents.

Meanwhile, the Lakers have limited assets and don't control their 2015 first round draft pick. I'm not suggesting the Lakers cannot find a way to grab a franchise player within the next one, two or three years, but what I am saying is that the blithe dogma of July 2014 being a shoe-in for reloading is only true as long we're talking about LeBron James specifically. Even more to the point, maybe we should all revisit if we should be so eager to see Howard walk all the way to Texas.

Next summer's free agent class of saviors is a myth. More of a myth is that that the free agent class is still great even without Howard in purple and gold. Next summer, there is one free agent savior. And that is what we should all be talking about in the case that Dwight leaves LA.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/7/1/4481538/disassembling-the-myth-of-the-2014-nba-free-agent-class

The article is from a Lakers blog and written by a Lakers fan so he talks about LAL and their situaion a lot in it but honestly, almost all other teams and their fans have been overrating next year's free agent class too including my Suns and some of our fans. In other forums I see guys jumping in joy at the cap space that we'll have but...who the hell are we gonna sign that's gonna help a rebuilding team like the Suns? LeBron and Melo ain't coming to Phoenix HA! And their not coming to any other franchise with loads of cap space either.

Other than LeBron and Melo, there is literally not gonna be any game changing star FAs in the market. Most of them are pretty old for any rebuilding teams to try and build around. Teams like the Lakers could maybe sign Dirk and give it a try but again, how good is a 36 year old Dirk and 36 year old Kobe gonna do in a league with young gun teams like OKC, Miami, LAC, Houston, Memphis, Brooklyn well, at least Deron & Lopez are young), NY, Indiana etc.

There are some good restricted FAs who are guys that rebuilding teams can try and sign to build their future around them...only one problem...none of those teams are gonna let those guys walk. Like it says in the article, those teams see those restricted FAs as their franchise cornerstones and in other cases as very important players and will likely match any contract offered to them. And those guys are good but you don't want to try and overpay for them either just so their teams don't match. But again, as said in the article, the chances of that is so low.

TO THOSE SAYING THAT LEBRON AND CARMELO WILL LEAVE THEIR INDIVIDUAL TEAMS NEXT SUMMER:

LeBron just won back to back titles. Even if the Heat don't win a title next year, he would be extremely foolish to walk away from a team that he won a title with 2 out of the 3 years in. I think its pretty damn obvious that its not happening. He may opt out to sign for more money but leaving South Beach? Hell no. Especially not after the response he got from the last time he left a team via free agency. Plus again, he has a title team in Miami, why the hell would he leave? Only reason he left Cleveland is cause they surrounded him with scrubs and expected him to perform miracles...that's not even close to the case in Miami. Also the Heat can probably get an upgrade with Bosh hitting FA and maybe them letting him go after next season. Just a thought.

The NY Knicks, are Anthony's team. Coach Woodson looks like the guy who is gonna coach the Knicks to some place great eventually. Even Anthony's playing defense under coach Woodson's system!! Once they get rid of Amare, imagine if they sign a good role player like Deng as a FA since Melo plays the 4 anyway and Deng can be the 3...NY just became even better. Chandler, the defensive stud, cap space, playing in Madison Square Garden...and just like LeBron, the response he got from the public after the last time he left team...yea I think its pretty safe to say that Melo is staying in NY.

Some team can have the cap space next year to sign LeBron, Melo, Wade/Bosh/Dirk/Amare/Kobe to all max contracts and yet LeBron and Melo are still gonna stay put.

And with those two guys staying put, this FA class has nothing so special about it at all.

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 04:33 AM

DLCK
07-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Lmao here come the articles and columns and blogs all with the same intent. To directly or indirectly take a stab at the Lakers.

Dade County
07-06-2013, 04:44 AM
Damn that was fast Mods... Great work getting those trolls out of here!

I can see maybe two teams getting some key players, but not the big super star players.

If the Lakers tank, they will get the 1st pick, book it.

If Lbj wants to go back to the Cav's, I wouldn't be mad, he would have something to prove (but I see the HEAT winning 5 titles in a row, so yeah I'm a HEAT fan, lets move on...lmao).

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Lmao here come the articles and columns and blogs all with the same intent. To directly or indirectly take a stab at the Lakers.
Yea that's exactly why I took a stab at the Suns also....

As it says, this article was written BY a Laker fan. And I specifically said that this applies to all teams that's saving cap space for 2014 as if their gonna get all these great guys.

lakerboy
07-06-2013, 05:07 AM
I don't know man, you should spend time talking more about your team than our's. You are too busy making everything look bleak from our side.

Have fun!

rockbottom2010
07-06-2013, 05:17 AM
maybe a fourth superstar in south beach?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkAaqz3uNQ

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 05:49 AM
I don't know man, you should spend time talking more about your team than our's. You are too busy making everything look bleak from our side.

Have fun!
Stop thinking that everything's about the Lakers...it's not. There are 29 other teams in the league, you know.

IndyRealist
07-06-2013, 07:15 AM
This blog is overshadowed by the author thinking his audience of basketball fans are too stupid to know what restricted free agency is. Judging by the content I'm guessing he just found out himself, meaning he's either completely unqualified to even watch basketball (let alone having his opinion republished here), or he's 12. Good find.

Edit: Don't mind me, I haven't slept in 40 hours.

bholly
07-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Melo to LA wouldn't surprise me, but other than that I agree with the general idea.

Mr Costanza
07-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Melo to LA wouldn't surprise me, but other than that I agree with the general idea.

I can see why people may think this could happen but the likelihood is so minute it's not really worth the discussion. The only way I could see it is if the Knicks fail to make the playoffs and the fans start treating Melo like they do ARod. And knowing that he could walk at the end of this year they are going to do the exact opposite.

GoferKing_
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Melo in LA? He could take 50 shots a game because no one will be there to play with him.

sunsfan88
07-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Melo in LA? He could take 50 shots a game because no one will be there to play with him.

Why? Where would Kobe go?

RipCity32
07-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Why do Laker fans think this only involves them.It's starting to look like the Lakers aren't just going to get whoever they want anymore because of they're name.I honestly don't think any young stars want to play with Kobes ego.

Teeboy1487
07-13-2013, 06:54 PM
I also think it's overrated. I don't see James or Anthony leaving money on the table at this point especially when their teams are already in contention. As a Lakers fan, I want them to rebuild through the draft and started trading guys like Gasol and Nash. Getting rid of Metta was a nice start.

Aust
07-13-2013, 07:00 PM
You talk about our team more than you talk about yours. You seem very.. obsessed with the Lakers

slashsnake
07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
It is a good point. If Melo and Lebron don't test free agency, there isn't a lot out there. Some nice pieces sure, some stars with maybe a couple years left... but that is about it.

It could be the trades for unhappy stars, or teams wanting to start over in a new direction that will take the news next off-season.

Max.This
07-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Damn that was fast Mods... Great work getting those trolls out of here!

I can see maybe two teams getting some key players, but not the big super star players.

If the Lakers tank, they will get the 1st pick, book it.

If Lbj wants to go back to the Cav's, I wouldn't be mad, he would have something to prove (but I see the HEAT winning 5 titles in a row, so yeah I'm a HEAT fan, lets move on...lmao).

I dont see kobe wanting to tank. It wouldnt make sense to keep kobe if they were going to tank.

Lombardi
07-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Didn't Melo do all he possibly could to ensure he was traded to the Knicks? Would surprise me if after all that he would be willing to take less money to leave that market that he sought after so badly.

I think LeBron is much more likely to go only because he could become frustrated with the way he has had to put the team on his back for 3 rounds in the playoffs while Wade figures his **** out. Cleveland has to be tempting and the narrative would make ESPN explode. I just wonder if he's willing to forget how much of an *** Dan Gilbert has shown to be.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-13-2013, 07:15 PM
The Lakers don't have to sign Lebron or Melo. I would be happy with a Deng, Bosh, Bledsoe mix while resigning Kobe and Pau to smaller deals. Those guys are not getting max money.

KnickaBocka.44
07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
The Lakers don't have to sign Lebron or Melo. I would be happy with a Deng, Bosh, Bledsoe mix while resigning Kobe and Pau to smaller deals. Those guys are not getting max money.

I dont think the Suns are going to let Bledsoe go anywhere. Playing with Kobe and Pau in 14-15 isnt going to be that attractive to FA's.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I dont think the Suns are going to let Bledsoe go anywhere. Playing with Kobe and Pau in 14-15 isnt going to be that attractive to FA's.
If its just by themselves no, but like I said, they have enough cap room to sign 2 max and a 10 million dollar player or 4 player making 10 to 15 million per year. That is where I see all those players values.

Its not like you have to sign a player to be a savior as the article indicates. Its about signing that type of player or multiple second tier stars and have a solid roster. There are lots of ways they could go about it.

ManRam
07-13-2013, 07:41 PM
It has the potential to be a huge disappointment. It may or may not, so I'm gonna hold of on the "overrated" talk.

Most of the top FAs are either restricted or have options/ETOs on teams that are in pretty good shape.

HouRealCoach
07-13-2013, 07:41 PM
maybe a fourth superstar in south beach?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkAaqz3uNQ

They say Wall & Wade are both 6'4... Wade has at least 2 inches on him

Bostonjorge
07-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Kobe wil actually try to recruit melo and lebron. Not like what happen with Howard. I can't see them not wanting to play with each other in a era where super stars want to play with other super stars.

sunsfan88
07-14-2013, 04:13 AM
You talk about our team more than you talk about yours. You seem very.. obsessed with the Lakers

Yea good thing you don't have the ability to read or else you would have understood this isn't just about the Lakers.

And people say that the education is improving in California lmao.

True Sports Fan
07-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Kobe wil actually try to recruit melo and lebron. Not like what happen with Howard. I can't see them not wanting to play with each other in a era where super stars want to play with other super stars.

And Kobe has already stated he can play PG so he can chuck even more shots up.

RiceOnTheRun
07-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Why do Laker fans think this only involves them.It's starting to look like the Lakers aren't just going to get whoever they want anymore because of they're name.I honestly don't think any young stars want to play with Kobes ego.

The whole "stars want to sign with the Lakers" thing is a myth. The last big free agent to really sign with the Lakers was Shaq. That was in 1996. Pau was traded for, Bynum drafted, Payton and Malone were greats but on their last legs. Yeah, yeah they have their history before then. That has no impact on a free agent class nearly two decades later.

Kobe isn't going to carry a team to the finals on his own. Not with the way the West is stacked at least. Like the article said, nobody on that list will make the Lakers a real championship contender except Lebron or maybe Melo in addition to at least one other young star.

FOBolous
07-14-2013, 06:01 AM

so why would Lebron and Melo leave their respective, title contending to play with Kobe who probably will only have at the most, 2 years left? Kobe's not the superstar he once was.

JNA17
07-14-2013, 07:42 AM
It is overrated. I doubt Lebron leaves the Heat and even if he does, he will just go back to the Cavs and be a hero again. Melo is possible for the Lakers but that won't be enough for them. The rest are old players like Dirk or just above average players like Rudy Gay.

Kyrie Irving, Paul Geroge, etc. Are all RFAs, so those teams will match any offer.

2015 on the other hand...

Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Rajon Rondo, Eric Gordon, Lamarcus Aldridge, Tony Parker, etc.

Now that is something to look foward too. As well as Kevin Durant in 2016 I believe...oh god...

D-Leethal
07-14-2013, 10:08 AM
@PeterVecsey1: As promised, my take re stories Melo may join Lakers after '13-14 when NYK pact lets him 2 bolt should he so choose: far-fetched fairytales

@PeterVecsey1: Authors & believers of such unimaginative pap must have sub zero respect 4 Melo's competitiveness & no comprehension of his ego.

@PeterVecsey1: People can't really think Melo forced trade 2 NY, where he was born & most of family still reside, 2 punk-n-run lst chance he gets if...

@PeterVecsey1: If what? If Knicks don't win title next season? If they take a giant step backward? If they're not projected as legit title contenders?

@PeterVecsey1: Two things I know 4 sure about Melo. He has legit confidence in ability 2 carry team 2 title (Syracuse) & he welcomes
all challenges

@PeterVecsey1: Unlike many stars feeling need 2 join forces w other celestial beings in attempt 2 achieve ultimate success, Melo feels line forms bhind him12:01am*- 13 Jul 13

@PeterVecsey1: And, oh, yeah, last me & Dwight Howard looked, Mike D'Antoni coaches the Lakers...and has 3 years left on his contract

Bostonjorge
07-14-2013, 03:04 PM
so why would Lebron and Melo leave their respective, title contending to play with Kobe who probably will only have at the most, 2 years left? Kobe's not the superstar he once was.

I think they would leave to play with each other. They are all friends and respect each other. The lakers would do any thing and everything to try and make this happen. Plus no one is the super star kobe was in today's nba other than lebron and melo.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
This blog is overshadowed by the author thinking his audience of basketball fans are too stupid to know what restricted free agency is. Judging by the content I'm guessing he just found out himself, meaning he's either completely unqualified to even watch basketball (let alone having his opinion republished here), or he's 12. Good find.

Edit: Don't mind me, I haven't slept in 40 hours.

ever read some laker fórum threads in wich they say we will be getting Irving? , no, fans dont know what restricted f.a means.

PurpleJesus
07-14-2013, 03:39 PM

thats kind of a conceited comment.

sunsfan88
07-17-2013, 05:59 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers are focused on signing LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony in the 2014 offseason, according to sources.

The Lakers have refused to commit to contracts that extend beyond the 13-14 season to maximize cap space.

One source described the plan as "realistic", while another calls it "far-fetched at this point."

Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh could also become free agents, while Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Andrew Bogut and Dirk Nowitzki will be unrestricted free agents.

"It's all wishful thinking at this point," a league source with knowledge of the situation said. "Teams are doing more wishing than LeBron is wanting right now.

"It's not about where LeBron wants to go [to win]. He already has two rings. If LeBron moved to Reno, teams would come to him."

......yea good luck with that LAL...

Other than Shaq, have any star players signed with the Lakers via free agency in the past 20 years?

Kevj77
07-17-2013, 10:57 PM
......yea good luck with that LAL...

Other than Shaq, have any star players signed with the Lakers via free agency in the past 20 years?To be fair to sign a max contract player a team needs cap space. Something the Lakers haven't had since they signed Shaq and drafted Kobe in 1996.

It isn't fair to say stars don't want to sign there when they haven't been able to offer a max contract the past 17 years.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Lakers have no chance of getting lebron or Melo..... no team does

There is no chance Melo leaves NY ... Him and his wifey wanted NY and its more then just cause of ball ... its the fame and the life and the city and being the face oof the Knicks in there hometown .

Lebron is more likely to leave then Melo and thaat won't happen most likely either .... I really could see him return to clev but deff not while he is winning rings every year

seikou8
07-18-2013, 12:17 AM
It is overrated. I doubt Lebron leaves the Heat and even if he does, he will just go back to the Cavs and be a hero again. Melo is possible for the Lakers but that won't be enough for them. The rest are old players like Dirk or just above average players like Rudy Gay.

Kyrie Irving, Paul Geroge, etc. Are all RFAs, so those teams will match any offer.

Kevin Love, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Rajon Rondo, Eric Gordon, Lamarcus Aldridge, Tony Parker, etc.

Now that is something to look foward too. As well as Kevin Durant in 2016 I believe...oh god...

this

sunsfan88
07-18-2013, 04:20 AM
To be fair to sign a max contract player a team needs cap space. Something the Lakers haven't had since they signed Shaq and drafted Kobe in 1996.

It isn't fair to say stars don't want to sign there when they haven't been able to offer a max contract the past 17 years.

Players could always take a pay cut aka Tom Brady, Manu Ginobili, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh among many others.

Kevj77
07-18-2013, 04:38 AM
Players could always take a pay cut aka Tom Brady, Manu Ginobili, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh among many others.There is a huge difference between taking a paycut like Lebron taking slightly less than the max to sign with Miami and taking the MLE.

If you can't see this you are blind. You're just showing your bias at this point.

Obviously this is a bait thread.

tyler55
07-18-2013, 04:53 AM
In all honesty, I can see one of Melo or Lebron going to LA.

sunsfan88
07-18-2013, 07:07 AM
There is a huge difference between taking a paycut like Lebron taking slightly less than the max to sign with Miami and taking the MLE.

If you can't see this you are blind. You're just showing your bias at this point.

Obviously this is a bait thread.
LAL has had many opportunites to sign max guys or every close to it. I'm not talking about the MLE at all.

The Lakers could have put together a team of Kobe on the max, Gasol on something slightly less than the max and a 3rd player on the max or slightly less than it with cheap role players around them.

It was their choice not to. One that seemed like the right move since they have gone to the Finals 3 times in the past 6 years while winning two.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-18-2013, 10:27 AM

I could see some of those players joining LA.

Marc Gasol might want to play with his brother. Love is a SCal type of guy. I think LA will at least sign one of them.

But, will that be enough to make them contend again, with an aging Kobe? Probably not.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-18-2013, 10:28 AM
In all honesty, I can see one of Melo or Lebron going to LA.

I don't see either leaving their respective teams.