PDA

View Full Version : Did the Lakers make a mistake?

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Trading for Dwight without him committing to them?

Trading Bynum for basically nothing

Signing Nash?

Signing Dantoni?

Your thoughts....

dalton749
07-05-2013, 11:44 PM
yes, but sadly theyre still the lakers and will have players lining up to play for them no matter how bad they do

Jenceman
They made a giant mistake picking Dantoni.

Remember Bynum didn't play a game though, so you still do that trade in hindsight.

they ****ed up going Mike D over Phil ****ing Jackson

SteveNash
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Biggest mistake was Jerry Buss handing the franchise over to his idiot son.

shep33
100% no. People don't realize that we were close to signing Bynum for 80 mill if Dwight didn't come through the door.

Mistake on D'antoni though. Dwight never wanted LA though, he can't handle a big market.

KB24PG16
07-05-2013, 11:45 PM
mda was a mistake, trading bynum for dwight wasnt a mistake better to have non-committed dwight than to have bynum signed to a max, in hindsight the nash wasnt great but at the time it seemed to make them better with howard

the team of howard/kobe/pau/nash couldve been great injuries/hiring mda derailed it, but thats apart of the process cant make excuses for failure

*Superman*
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

LOL. You've had the same damn sig from 2009 I believe, dude Raph doesn't even post anymore, you are free of your duties. Geez, never seen someone so dedicated to a sig bet.

lol, please
07-05-2013, 11:47 PM
The Lakers mistake-fest predates all of this. :laugh2:

AddiX
07-05-2013, 11:48 PM
It was brilliant the way they traded for him.

Everything after was a disaster.

IMO Kobe is the biggest culprit, his weak ego couldn't even entertain the idea of allowing another star to share the shine.

From the beginning Kobe exerted his dominance by having brown fired, demanding mike d, talking to the media about players, coaches, calling his own teammates out, getting on twitter. Kobe has heart, and is as dedicated as anyone, but hes an awful teammate and leader and has the weakest ego I've ever seen.

Were talking about a guy who ran shaq out of town, let's not forget that. The entire lakers media and fans all gave Kobe all the respect for those rings after shaq left, but gasol brought those rings home, they wouldn't give gasol his props.

Fans, media, management, they have all always known, Kobe cant handle not owning the spot light. That has never been more evident than the Dwight/Kobe fiasco.

*Superman*
100% no. People don't realize that we were close to signing Bynum for 80 mill if Dwight didn't come through the door.

Mistake on D'antoni though. Dwight never wanted LA though, he can't handle a big market.

Yeah, I mean i'd make that trade 10 times out of 10. It just didn't work out. No one imagined that season to be THAT bad. And odds are you don't walk away from LA, they let this one slip though. Singing D'antoni was a joke though.

BALLER R
Their mistake was hiring D'Antoni. Everything went downhill from there

Lakerland USA
07-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Mistake #1 was letting Jerry West leave

zn23
07-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Signing Nash?

Signing Dantoni?

Your thoughts....

They also didn't amnesty Kobe...

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Lakers S- H- I- T- the bed ....

But shepp makes a good point.... shepp is probably the only laker fan I feel bad for cause he is an fing G

SteveNash
07-05-2013, 11:53 PM
The signature has become a complete joke to everyone after I was proven right, so now I keep it for it's humor.

As for Ralph12, I'm sure he'll come back and jump on the Rockets bandwagon for at least a little while like he did with the Lakers.

LakersIn5
07-05-2013, 11:56 PM
nash wasnt a bad signing. he just got injured thats why

FOBolous
07-05-2013, 11:56 PM

Signing Nash?

Signing Dantoni?

Your thoughts....

Lakers got cocky. thought just because they're the Lakers, everyone wants to play for them. guess they thought wrong.

zn23
07-05-2013, 11:57 PM

IMO Kobe is the biggest culprit, his weak ego couldn't even entertain the idea of allowing another star to share the shine.

From the beginning Kobe exerted his dominance by having brown fired, demanding mike d, talking to the media about players, coaches, calling his own teammates out, getting on twitter. Kobe has heart, and is as dedicated as anyone, but hes an awful teammate and leader and has the weakest ego I've ever seen.

Were talking about a guy who ran shaq out of town, let's not forget that. The entire lakers media and fans all gave Kobe all the respect for those rings after shaq left, but gasol brought those rings home, they wouldn't give gasol his props.

Fans, media, management, they have all always known, Kobe cant handle not owning the spot light. That has never been more evident than the Dwight/Kobe fiasco.

I agree man, that's two dominant centers he ran out of town because he couldn't bring himself to be the second fiddle.

Kobe want's to win, but only on HIS terms. Which means he has to be the no.1 guy, and they have to build around him...

Lakers should brace themselves for another 40-45 win season and first round exit.

*Superman*
07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
The signature has become a complete joke to everyone after I was proven right, so now I keep it for it's humor.

As for Ralph12, I'm sure he'll come back and jump on the Rockets bandwagon for at least a little while like he did with the Lakers.

To be honest, I don't even remember the bets details, but whatever it was, you lost and weren't proven right. It was just funny to see "Orlando Magic" and "dominant contender" in the same sentence.

JordansBulls
No because at least they got Dwight for free for a year considering Bynum didn't play all season.

More-Than-Most
Flat out yes.

More-Than-Most
07-06-2013, 12:02 AM
No because at least they got Dwight for free for a year considering Bynum didn't play all season.

It also got them nash and a good haul back to Orlando with nothing to show for it except a massive salary amount and a horrid coach

shep33
07-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Dwight Howard denied that Kobe Bryant told him that he could teach him how to win. He said that his "words and message were twisted."

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2YEczpM8l

It never had anything to do with Kobe as a player. I think Kobe's legacy was the bigger issue. Dwight Howard will never surpass Kobe as an all-time player, and basically its like batting after Babe Ruth. He'd always be compared to Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Mikan... and Kobe.

He didn't want any part of that, and I don't really blame him. Some people aren't made for LA

UnWantedTheory
07-06-2013, 12:08 AM

Signing Nash?

Signing Dantoni?

Your thoughts....

Yes on all counts.

Kobe2324
07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
the 2 mistakes was dantoni an nash, way overpaid for nash and dantoni is just not a good coach....keepin bynum he would have missed the season anyways, both him an dwight are free agents at he same time so really didnt lose anything as they were both gone anyways...

*Superman*
07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Dwight Howard denied that Kobe Bryant told him that he could teach him how to win. He said that his "words and message were twisted."

It never had anything to do with Kobe as a player. I think Kobe's legacy was the bigger issue. Dwight Howard will never surpass Kobe as an all-time player, and basically its like batting after Babe Ruth. He'd always be compared to Shaq, Kareem, Wilt, Mikan... and Kobe.

He didn't want any part of that, and I don't really blame him. Some people aren't made for LA

There were too many cons to go back to LA, that being one. What I think was the biggest one is that he obviously didn't want to play with Kobe, and that team is not going to win anything right now. Better shot at starting now with a group that will be there for 4-5 years in the Rockets than sign a contract with a uncertain Lakers team.

Teeboy1487
07-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Hiring Dantoni over Phil Jackson is the worst decicison in recent memory. Just horrible. I don't care who you are. You do not choose Dantoni over Phil Jackson. Another mistake was not trading Howard at the deadline. The writing was on the freakin wall. Everyone saw this coming. The Lakers should have traded Dwight and got something for him. The FO was too arrogant and it cost them.

shep33
07-06-2013, 12:16 AM
There were too many cons to go back to LA, that being one. What I think was the biggest one is that he obviously didn't want to play with Kobe, and that team is not going to win anything right now. Better shot at starting now with a group that will be there for 4-5 years in the Rockets than sign a contract with a uncertain Lakers team.

True, I mean knowing that Kobe will be out for a while, he could've became the presence in LA to draw the big names there.

Still, it's over with, haha I feel for you dudes, 2 years of this **** in Orlando!

AddiX
07-06-2013, 12:21 AM

If you actually believe dwights decision had nothing to do with Kobe, your in denial. The guy turned down $ to leave there, and you actually think Kobe never once crossed his mind? Come on man, we already saw last season how everyone and there mother took Kobes side in the lakers fiasco.

Dwight has no choice but to say Kobe had no impact. That's why he left, he's not going to be belittled like that for the next 4/5 years every time Kobe feels like publicly embarrassing him.

lakerboy
07-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Lakers lost out when they hired D'Antoni as a coach. That's the only and biggest mistake they made. They did right on trading for Dwight and not keeping Bynum.

*Superman*
07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
True, I mean knowing that Kobe will be out for a while, he could've became the presence in LA to draw the big names there.

Still, it's over with, haha I feel for you dudes, 2 years of this **** in Orlando!

Hahaha. It was like,
"Dwight wants to go to Brooklyn"
"**** you Dwight, how could you leave!"
"Dwight decided to renounce his ETO option!" "I love Orlando and am too loyal!"
"Whooo!"
"Dwight decides he wants to be traded"
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6m5aauKQQ1ql6nbbo1_500.jpg

It was the worst roller-coaster ever man.

Aust
07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Signing Pringles over PJ or at least Shaw.

Maybe Nash. Glad we got rid of Bynum though. We didn't deserve to keep Dwight considering what we paid for him :p

Having Jim Buss succeed as owner over his sister..

zn23
07-06-2013, 12:27 AM
LOL OF COURSE it had to do with Kobe, maybe not all of it, but definitely a significant portion... How many players turn down $30 M from a big market like LA, to go play for a smaller market like Houston?

He didn't want to spend the next 4-5 years being belittled and being the ultimate scape goat for Kobe and the Lakers failures. We saw how Pau was the scape goat for the Lakers failures from 2008-2011, last year it was Dwight. They will never blame Kobe. Even though he's the one not playing any defense and jacking up 41 shots in a game.

Aust
07-06-2013, 12:29 AM
LOL OF COURSE it had to do with Kobe, maybe not all of it, but definitely a significant portion... How many players turn down $30 M from a big market like LA, to go play for a smaller market like Houston?

He didn't want to spend the next 4-5 years being belittled and being the ultimate scape goat for Kobe and the Lakers failures. We saw how Pau was the scape goat for the Lakers failures from 2008-2011, last year it was Dwight. They will never blame Kobe. Even though he's the one not playing any defense and jacking up 41 shots in a game.

Kobe takes 41 shots per game? Wow, that's terrible.

venom518
07-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Kobe had nothing to do with Dwight leaving just like he had nothing to do with Shaq leaving. It was Shaq who went to the front office and forced them to make a choice between him and Kobe, and the Lakers made the right choice by keeping Kobe. Bottom line is Dwight could not handle playing in LA, and living up to the High expectations that the fans demand out of him. When he got booed his feelings were hurt. He's a big kid and there's nothing wrong with that. Im a die hard Laker fan and I like Dwight, but the Lakers were never a good fit for him. But I thank Dwight for saving the Lakers from the mess that is Andrew Bynum.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2013, 12:36 AM
At least we didn't sign Bynum to a max. D'Antoni will not be there passed 2014 so that makes me happy :)

Just a mediocre 2013, then things will get exciting again the following summer. But I'm not mad about him leaving at all. Kobe's instagram picture made me laugh so hard. Howard kinda pussed out, but what can ya do.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2013, 12:37 AM

You seem like a guy that cannot even enjoy sex. Just bitter and pissed all the time.

KniCks4LiFe
07-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Hahaha. It was like,
"Whooo!"

http://oi43.tinypic.com/m7uhxc.jpg

*if real Dwight Howard could tweet what he really wanted to say*

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM

:clap:

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Kobe had nothing to do with Dwight leaving just like he had nothing to do with Shaq leaving. It was Shaq who went to the front office and forced them to make a choice between him and Kobe, and the Lakers made the right choice by keeping Kobe. Bottom line is Dwight could not handle playing in LA, and living up to the High expectations that the fans demand out of him. When he got booed his feelings were hurt. He's a big kid and there's nothing wrong with that. Im a die hard Laker fan and I like Dwight, but the Lakers were never a good fit for him. But I thank Dwight for saving the Lakers from the mess that is Andrew Bynum.

the arrogance of LA :pity: he couldn't handle the pressure? wow. how about...he doesn't want to play for D'Antoni, don't want to play with Kobe, don't want to waste 2 to 3 precious years of his prime waiting for a team to rebuild, and he wants to win NOW? it has nothing to do with the "pressure."

shep33
07-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Hahaha. It was like,
"Whooo!"

Haha man I feel you, this is ****. I think we'll be okay sooner rather than later, but he's such a girl lol

shep33
07-06-2013, 01:16 AM
If you actually believe dwights decision had nothing to do with Kobe, your in denial. The guy turned down $ to leave there, and you actually think Kobe never once crossed his mind? Come on man, we already saw last season how everyone and there mother took Kobes side in the lakers fiasco.

Dwight has no choice but to say Kobe had no impact. That's why he left, he's not going to be belittled like that for the next 4/5 years every time Kobe feels like publicly embarrassing him.

People who think that the Lakers FO would choose Kobe over Dwight next year are in denial. The Lakers FO would've taken Dwight and not re-signed Kobe if it came down to it.

shep33
07-06-2013, 01:19 AM

I disagree, people who think that the Lakers FO wouldn't have given this team to Howard after Kobe's contract was up are in denial.

He never truly wanted LA, and he can't handle the pressure in LA, no chance, he's too mentally weak and he knows it.

The Lakers would've given him everything, I think Howard didn't want it for the reason above, but also because there was no certainty for 2014 (Slim chance we get LeBron or Melo).

There is no pressure in Houston, he can win 0 titles there and will still be loved if he makes them competitive for yeras to come.

He doesn't win in LA and his legacy takes a hit. Sadly that's how it works in LA

venom518
07-06-2013, 01:32 AM
the arrogance of LA :pity: he couldn't handle the pressure? wow. how about...he doesn't want to play for D'Antoni, don't want to play with Kobe, don't want to waste 2 to 3 precious years of his prime waiting for a team to rebuild, and he wants to win NOW? it has nothing to do with the "pressure."

If you believe his decision had nothing to do with pressure; than you haven't been watching Dwight Howard.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 01:40 AM
Lakers are never screwed. Any NBA fan should understand that big market teams can sign anybody they want. They will go in a short drought but never long to the point where all hope is lost. They will bounce back because eventually someone will take over as the star. With that being said, they have had unfortunate and silly errors in their championship process.

I wouldn't say they lost Bynum, his knees were really bad and he's incredibly immature. If Phil couldn't control Bynum, I'm positive Mike D'Antoni won't either. Bynum is a huge liability for any team, proof can be shown via Sixers. LAL should've gotten rid of Howard when they had the chance. It was incredibly obvious he wasn't resigning with LAL. He seemed unhappy and never got what he wanted in LAL. The most ludicrous move by LAL was signing Nash. He's way too old to be playing, especially the PG position. Against the other quick PG's, Nash stands no chance and is a huge liability on the defensive end. He wasn't exactly spectacular on the offensive end, the system really didn't fit them. I expect Nash to get a bigger role next season but he's pretty much finished. Mike D'Antoni was a head scratcher. No clue what LAL management saw in him. He was terrible in NYK, Mike Woodson proved that. Overall, LAL really did some damage but they'll always attract great players. It's not like Cleveland where they have to rely on draft picks to build around. As for Kobe, they really need to act fast. Whether it be trying to get LeBron to team up with him or even taking a risk and resigning Bynum, Kobe has to be their priority. He's done too much for that franchise and it's not the time for them to rebuild with Kobe getting older.

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 01:43 AM

This. Jim Buss is one of the worst owners in basketball and is ruining the Lakers reputation.

I like it though :dance:

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 01:46 AM
If you believe his decision had nothing to do with pressure; than you haven't been watching Dwight Howard.

what pressure did he have? to win a championship? don't make me laught...Lakers could barely make the playoffs last year. pressure has nothing to do with it. D'Antoni, Kobe, Lakers' horrible FO, Lakers' dumb new owner, and him not waiting to waste 2-3 precious years of his prime on a rebuilding team has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT.

venom518
07-06-2013, 01:53 AM
what pressure did he have? to win a championship? don't make me laught...Lakers could barely make the playoffs last year. pressure has nothing to do with it. D'Antoni, Kobe, Lakers' horrible FO, Lakers' dumb new owner, and him not waiting to waste 2-3 precious years of his prime on a rebuilding team has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT.

LOL. Yes the pressure was to win a championship. That's why they put that team together. Lakers were the preseason favorite to win the title. Some people just cant play in big markets where excellence is demanded constantly. Theres nothing wrong with that.

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 01:57 AM
LOL. Yes the pressure was to win a championship. That's why they put that team together. Lakers were the preseason favorite to win the title. Some people just cant play in big markets where excellence is demanded constantly. Theres nothing wrong with that.

lmao @ you thinking the Lakers contended for a championship last year :laugh: and by "excellence is demanded," do you mean standing around being Kobe's ball boy while Kobe misses shot after shot?

naps
07-06-2013, 01:59 AM
They did everything right except for the coaching hire and letting their old franchise player dictate everything. IMO Kobe is the prime reason why Dwight left. I think Dwight quickly realized how tough it is to form chemistry with Kobe. Basically why Shaq left. To think of how they blew up two teams through Kobe (the 2004 team and now this team) is crazy.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2013, 02:04 AM

If you haven't watched the all the games from last year, as well as read and watch everything that had to do with the Lakers (which includes Howard), then you don't know what you're talking about. You should trust a Lakers fan BECAUSE THEY WERE A PART OF IT... If theyre saying that the pressure was part of it, then it probably was. Reading primarily Laker-based material will make you a bit more informed about that particular situation than say you, who hasn't, unless, of course, you've been involved in it the entire time-- which wouldnt make much sense.

Howard's situation has A LOT to do with pressure. I love how you can say it's not based off of the little material you've seen over the past year. Why not trust people who have more knowledge about the particular subject than you?

venom518
07-06-2013, 02:04 AM
lmao @ you thinking the Lakers contended for a championship last year :laugh: and by "excellence is demanded," do you mean standing around being Kobe's ball boy while Kobe misses shot after shot?

Thats why I said "Preseason". Are you even a Laker fan. Excellence is demanded when you put on the purple and gold.

Mr_Jones
07-06-2013, 02:06 AM

Clearly they didn't since they were not in the finals.. But almost EVERYONE was saying that the Lakers were contenders before the season started. And pressure starts even before the season starts. I don't know how your brain does not understand something so simple. Also, this team had A LOT of HYPE surrounding them, so there was pressure to live up to it. So, again, YES, there was A LOT OF PRESSURE. At the end of the day they didnt contend for a title, but they had the pressure to.

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Thats why I said "Preseason". Are you even a Laker fan. Excellence is demanded when you put on the purple and gold.

nope. not a Lakers fan. it's funny seeing you say Howard was "pressured" to win a championship when the Lakers barely made the playoffs :laugh2: really now? so did Iguodala leave cause of the "pressure" too? How bout OJ Mayo? :laugh:

admit it...D'Antoni and Kobe is the reason why Howard left....not some make-believe pressure. and if you were a player and you've been to the finals and is currently in your prime, would you really waste 2 to 3 years of it on a rebuilding team? common sense tells you NO.

effen5
07-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Only thing they made a mistake was not giving Mike Brown more time, and hiring Dantoni. I thought they did a pretty decent job outside of that. Can't predict injuries.

venom518
07-06-2013, 02:18 AM
nope. not a Lakers fan. it's funny seeing you say Howard was "pressured" to win a championship when the Lakers barely made the playoffs :laugh2: really now? so did Iguodala leave cause of the "pressure" too? How bout OJ Mayo? :laugh:

Wow. I get it now....You're a moron!!

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Wow. I get it now....You're a moron!!

lol u mad bro?

shep33
07-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Golden State would've been perfect for Dwight in my opinion. Curry, one of Klay/Barnes, Iggy, Lee, Dwight is the best starting 5 in the NBA

venom518
07-06-2013, 02:24 AM
lol u mad bro?

Im not mad at all. It just doesnt make sense for me to keep trying to prove a point to someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Im not mad at all. It just doesnt make sense for me to keep trying to prove a point to someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

lol again @ you thinking the Lakers contended for a title last season.

Mcdoh
07-06-2013, 02:27 AM
the mistake was hiring MDA.. and Let Jim Buss take control.. hope we bounce back in 2014..

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 02:36 AM

This is so dumb. All that pressure of LAL contending for the championship ended when they barely made the playoffs. It further ended when Kobe was injured. LAL was never projected to be the favorites, maybe to LAL fanboys but clearly Miami were the favorites. How did Dwight run away from the pressure when he WANTED to be the man on a team? He wanted the ball, he didn't get enough of it. Sorry, your hypothesis is incredibly flawed. Howard didn't run away from the pressure, he simply chose a team that fit his preferences and ability.

FOBolous
07-06-2013, 02:39 AM
This is so dumb. All that pressure of LAL contending for the championship ended when they barely made the playoffs. It further ended when Kobe was injured. LAL was never projected to be the favorites, maybe to LAL fanboys but clearly Miami were the favorites. How did Dwight run away from the pressure when he WANTED to be the man on a team? He wanted the ball, he didn't get enough of it. Sorry, your hypothesis is incredibly flawed. Howard didn't run away from the pressure, he simply chose a team that fit his preferences and ability.

This :clap:

venom518
07-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Once again youre missing the point. Of course the Lakers did not contend for a title last season, but they were the favorite to win the title to win coming in to the season. Injuries and chemistry prevented that from happening. The team and Howard were under pressure of a “Win now” or bust situation. It’s the reason why Mike Brown was prematurely fired after 7 games into the season. It was why the Lakers were the top story of every sports center during the season. The pressure to contend and win grew larger and larger as the season progressed. Dwight was under a lot of pressure to get 20 and 20 and dominate defensively every night he played, because that is what the Laker fans expected out of him. Bottom line is Dwight and the Lakers were never a match made in heaven, and now its over. Good luck in Houston Dwight. I wish you all the best. The purple and gold will live on.

Jenceman
07-06-2013, 02:47 AM

Lol dude you're an idiot if you keep harping on about this Kobe stuff

Losoway
07-06-2013, 04:14 AM
wtf are u idiots talking about blaming this on the coach smh. IT WAS CLEARLY KOBE FAULT. his ego is out of this world . in fact he even told dwight if u wanna learn how to win championships ill teach u . smh

DLCK
07-06-2013, 04:22 AM
At the end of the day. They are still the Lakers. 16 championships. Rebuild and come back strong. We all ways do.

Iron24th
07-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Their mistake was hiring D'Antoni. Everything went downhill from there

This.

We can overcome the rest, but this hiring killed us big time.

5ass
07-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Dwight didn't want to join the Illuminati. Thats why he left the Lakers.

QueensG_718
07-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Kobe has the laker franchise by the balls Lil. They should just amnesty him and rebuild. Especially off a bad injury like that.

QueensG_718
07-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Lol

Kashmir13579
07-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Great thread.

GrumpyOldMan
07-06-2013, 06:53 AM
I dont like D'Antoni, but they were struggling before he got there. He wasn't the problem, but he didn't supply a sollution either. Chemistry is important. It takes time to develop it in team sports. I would have liked to see Dwight stay in LA and see how they did without Kobe in the first half of the season and then make a run in the playoffs with Bryant. I think they could have caused some damage. They still can if they have the ability to replace Howard.

RaiderLakersA's
07-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Yes, mistakes were made. There will be more. Part of the growing pains that you go through when you have a trust fund baby running your team like a fan, and not a true sage of the game.

On paper all of the moves that Jimmy made look good. On paper. A true basketball mind, however, would have seen the cracks and potential fissures for what they were.

Nash is 40 and rarely healthy for a full season.

Kobe has mileage and is also rarely healthy for a full season. (He does play through his injuries, which is a credit to his strong will.)

Dwight wasn't healthy and isn't looking to become the face of a franchise. He is like LeBron James in that he is a beta core personality with an alpha's prowess. This might be a great combination for a benevolent ruler, but not so much when it comes to playing alongside an alpha core personality who also has alpha, albeit marginally decrescent, prowess.

D'Antoni is not a championship caliber coach. Even at his best, he needs deadshot shooters and young stallions to run his system. And said system abhors big men, unless they happen to be on the same level as a young Wilt Chamberlain.

The mistakes will end when Jim Buss either comes into his own as a basketball genius, or the team hires someone that can offset his decisions, relegating him to the title as "the owner who signs the checks" and nothing more.

cssdmark
07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Lakers should have seen the writing on the wall and to appease Dwight got rid of Kobe and started the rebuild with Phil and Dwight. This should have started sometime last year because this old team was not going to win a championship. The problem with LA is there are too many egos. Jim Buss wants to be the man and does not want Jeanie an Phil to take over, Kobe wants people to play with him but concede that he is the man and that is not going to happen with another star only with a good player or less. The writing is still on the wall with Kobe and Mr. Pringles. Everyone needs to swallow their pride and start doing what is best for the franchise. The Lakers are a storied franchise but with Kobe, Jim Buss and Mr. Pringles it is just not worth it.

iam brett favre
07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
They could have CP3, Kobe, Dwight and Phil Jackson right now.

rocketfuel
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Lakers should have seen the writing on the wall and to appease Dwight got rid of Kobe and started the rebuild with Phil and Dwight. This should have started sometime last year because this old team was not going to win a championship. The problem with LA is there are too many egos. Jim Buss wants to be the man and does not want Jeanie an Phil to take over, Kobe wants people to play with him but concede that he is the man and that is not going to happen with another star only with a good player or less. The writing is still on the wall with Kobe and Mr. Pringles. Everyone needs to swallow their pride and start doing what is best for the franchise. The Lakers are a storied franchise but with Kobe, Jim Buss and Mr. Pringles it is just not worth it.

I think you've outlined the main reasons why Dwight left. The wrong guys are running the team. I don't see this happening if Jerry West and Phil Jackson were there. Dwight already indicated what were his main concerns last year. He wanted Phil, they ignored him. He wanted to play in a system that fits his particular strengths, they ignored him and hired a coach known for that up and down style. I do not know why Jeannie isn't running the team because she clearly seems to be the more level headed sibling in the family and her boyfriend would have been drawing star players like a super power. The big mistakes were made last year. For some reason, Jim Buss decided that Mike D'antoni was a "better fit" than the winningest coach in NBA history for a group that should have been pounding it inside. I see the word Alpha thrown around and it seems like the word is misunderstood. Alpha doesn't mean you just go around pushing your will on people and not knowing how to get along with them. Some of the best leaders know how to read people and bring out the most in them. When I heard what Kupchak had as a pitch, I thought it was one of the worst. You have Kobe, who Dwight already had problems with, telling him that you don't know how to win, I will teach you. D'antoni who Dwight already felt was using him wrong in there not saying a word....It pretty much just reminded Dwight every reason why he didn't want to stay. From all reports, Dwight loved the Hollywood lifestyle, loved living in LA.... so this really had to do with his concerns about the organization---this isn't the Jerry Buss/Jerry West/Phil Jackson group that could snare every free agent. You're in denial if you don't think that your co-workers factors a lot into your decision. I think Howard just felt like he would be miserable playing with Kobe every day.