PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Morey as a GM

JerseyPalahniuk
07-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Wow, just wow.

Just one year ago the Rockets roster was 7 PF's, an overpaid Jeremy Lin, and a then regarded as heavily overpaid Omer Asik. Everyone else had no experience. He has completely re-hauled that team.

He rebuilt a team without actually rebuilding (Rockets were never completely out of playoff picture).

I think everyone who hated on his tactics should owe him an apology right about now.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Funny thing is at that time Rockets fans starting calling for his head on forums, I remember it clearly. Now he's being hailed as a hero for getting Dwight and Harden. Goes to show how fickle sports fans are.

Vinny642
07-05-2013, 10:59 PM
IM glad we got Demps

JerseyPalahniuk
07-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Funny thing is at that time Rockets fans starting calling for his head on forums, I remember it clearly. Now he's being hailed as a hero for getting Dwight and Harden. Goes to show how fickle sports fans are.

Every fan base has those fans. Tell me you never questioned your owner? Some say he's the worst in the entire league.

He definitely had more hate from the outsiders though.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Every fan base has those fans. Tell me you never questioned your owner? Some say he's the worst in the entire league.

He definitely had more hate from the outsiders though.

I'm included in the fickle thing. Sports brings out the worst and best in people for sure.

FOBolous
07-05-2013, 11:09 PM

what are you talking about? no one was calling for his head in the Rockets' forum? everyone loves him. If anything, Houston fans overrates him.

and Asik is NOT overpayed. dude averages 10/10/3. Lin is not overpaid either. $8 mil/yr is bout right for a player of his caliber.

SteveNash
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Remember when Mitch Kupchak was considered great for getting Dwight for only Bynum?

Dwight didn't bring wins to LA which isn't a huge shock, Rockets will be slightly better than last year, but still aren't championship contenders, they need a legit star and now they're capped out with no future.

nyyfan4life
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm included in the fickle thing. Sports brings out the worst and best in people for sure.

Reminds me when last year the Philadelphia Inquirer wrote an article endorsing the Tony DiLeo hiring as their GM because he wasn't a huge supporter of analytics. In that same article they pretty much mocked Morey and all of his supposed failures. A year later Morey's assistant is the 76ers new GM.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-05-2013, 11:13 PM
what are you talking about? no one was calling for his head in the Rockets' forum? everyone loves him. If anything, Houston fans overrates him.

and Asik is NOT overpayed. dude averages 10/10/3. Lin is not overpaid either. $8 mil/yr is bout right for a player of his caliber.

didn't say he was. Said most people thought at the time of the signing he was. He played 15 mpg the year before. I was actually one of the few that thought his contract would pan out.

rockets-fan
07-05-2013, 11:14 PM

I was one of those fans, only because I can not stand Lin, and I still can't, but he made up for it hitting on Asik and getting Harden and now Dwight. Also parsons panning out to be a good player. But before all those moves, I was really really frustrated with Morey

houstonfan
07-05-2013, 11:15 PM

I dont remember that at all...

Edit: Nevermind I guess there were a few

D-Leethal
07-05-2013, 11:15 PM
He did a fantastic job following up the Lin/Asik deals. That said, there is such a fine line between striking out/looking like a moron and lucking into a couple favorable decisions/trades and looking like a genius. That said again, this is a results business, and you get praise when things go your way and deservingly so. Houston will be fun to watch if they can get Smith.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Guys let me clarify yet again. When I say "forums" I'm talking about multiple forums and NOT specifically the Rockets forum. The point is... he was a controversial GM just two years ago.

JerseyPalahniuk
07-05-2013, 11:18 PM
He did a fantastic job following up the Lin/Asik deals. That said, there is such a fine line between striking out and looking like a moron and lucking into a couple favorable decisions/trades. That said again, this is a results business, and you get praise when things go your way and deservingly so. Houston will be fun to watch if they can get Smith.

Agreed. If a bit of luck had gone toward Dallas (Mayo developing into an all-star SG for example), Dwight might have signed with Dallas and Cuban wouldn't have had any backlash from me/other fans.

Htownballa1622
07-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I've always supported DM. He's great.

rockets-fan
07-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Still hate the Lin signing, never hated Morey tho more like a spur of the moment "wtf are you doing Morey" kind of thing.

H-town Mastodon
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
PSD needs more of this picture

http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/28morey.1.600.jpg

Honestly I've really been a fan of Morey's all the way through, yes he has had several unpopular ideas, but it has seemed to work out some way or another

Chronz
07-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah I gotta side with Rox fans, those that wanted Morey gone were in the small minority.

His genius has been evident from day 1. Dwight has nothing to do with it, these kind of moves are NO BRAINERS. Im sure he gets credit for helping lure him to Houston, but most of that credit has to do with his roster building while retaining CAP flexibility.

The man knows the formula for attracting stars. May not have landed them before but he peaks their interest

WhiteSoxGod
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM

Exactly, I don't know many Rockets fans that do not like Morey. I praised the deals for Asik and Lin. They are both worth it. The money Lin brings into the organization, he also helped with Dwight because of the international exposure.

Morey has made some questionable moves but always with winning in mind. I love Morey and think he is the best GM in the NBA.

Remember when Mitch Kupchak was considered great for getting Dwight for only Bynum?

Dwight didn't bring wins to LA which isn't a huge shock, Rockets will be slightly better than last year, but still aren't championship contenders, they need a legit star and now they're capped out with no future.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRne2Thhi2C44yB2L7Olbh51Q_AWE-qZSEFguvBRCpryGORzB2y

LOL Yeah because James Harden is not a star, nor Dwight Howard. LOL The Rockets are top 3 in the Western Conference, top 5 in the NBA, right now before they add anything else. All they need is more perimeter shooters and then they will be deadly. They have a ton of young assets and have plenty of draft picks still saved up.

Htownballa1622
07-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Exactly, I don't know many Rockets fans that do not like Morey. I praised the deals for Asik and Lin. They are both worth it. The money Lin brings into the organization, he also helped with Dwight because of the international exposure.

Morey has made some questionable moves but always with winning in mind. I love Morey and think he is the best GM in the NBA.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRne2Thhi2C44yB2L7Olbh51Q_AWE-qZSEFguvBRCpryGORzB2y

LOL Yeah because James Harden is not a star, nor Dwight Howard. LOL The Rockets are top 3 in the NBA right now before they add anything else. All they need is more perimeter shooters and then they will be deadly. They have a ton of young assets and have plenty of draft picks still saved up.

I lol'd.

jam
07-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Morey can't be considered the top GM until the rocks win another chip. Or two. Or three.

Guppyfighter
07-06-2013, 02:25 AM
I feel completely vindicated. I defended him pretty tough last summer. Bunch of everyone was giving him **** for everything he did last summer. Including the Harden deal.

Although, I hate to be vindicated, I wanted Dwight on my Warriors.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 02:30 AM

LOL Yeah because James Harden is not a star, nor Dwight Howard. LOL The Rockets are top 3 in the NBA right now before they add anything else. All they need is more perimeter shooters and then they will be deadly. They have a ton of young assets and have plenty of draft picks still saved up.

I like the Rockets but you can't be serious. They aren't even top 5.

Miami
SAS
OKC
LAC
Grizz

Snakeyestx
07-06-2013, 02:53 AM

1. Miami
2. SAS
3. OKC
4. LAC
5. Grizz

Let's look at that list...

1. Salary issues now going into next season - Bosh, Anderson, and Allen are question-marks
2. Age becoming an even greater factor
3. Legitimate danger here, but they're not invincible, plus they lost their Swingman in Martin
4. Totally belongs on the list of top 3 threats in the West
5. This is a big question-mark with the coaching change - Hollins crafted that team into what they were.

Houston is definitely on the top 5 in the West list, I wouldn't say top 5 in the league just yet - not til they've proven that roster can work well together.

flclfanman
07-06-2013, 03:06 AM
He caught lightning in a bottle when OKC decided to trade it's second best player for essentially nothing.

The Asik signing is nice, but he may have burned that bridge with the Dwightmare coming to town.

Overall, not a bad GM, but a bumpy road ahead.

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 03:29 AM
A lot of it is luck. I highly doubt that Morey actually predicted that OKC would be trading Harden and that they would accept the Rockets offer. And then Dwight being available a year later...

Morey is a good GM no doubt but he has had more luck than any other GM in the past year imo.

Guppyfighter
07-06-2013, 08:48 AM
A lot of it is luck. I highly doubt that Morey actually predicted that OKC would be trading Harden and that they would accept the Rockets offer. And then Dwight being available a year later...

Morey is a good GM no doubt but he has had more luck than any other GM in the past year imo.

Collecting assets to trade for a star was his plan the whole time. He did what Cuban wanted too. A team that didn't want to pay the luxury tax relinquishing a great player for a lot of assets. He put himself into a position to get these assets and then acquire this star. Cuban forgot to get assets.

It's also not luck when a star signs with you. It's not 2k. They had a three hour meeting, as well four other teams.

tr3ymill3r
07-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Morey shouldn't receive all of the credit. Les Alexander was very patient and could have cut ties with him multiple times. This is the first time a team hasn't drafted a star, nor did an actual rebuild take place. Rockets fans were upset with his constant flipping of assets, because we never knew what our team was going to look like so we never got attached to anyone. We also thought that the only way to get good is to be really bad, but he disproved that by landing Harden and now Howard.

Jesse2272
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Hes a Ninja

mightybosstone
07-06-2013, 10:46 AM
I've been behind Daryl Morey since Dork Elvis first arrived in Houston and he started pulling off crazy shrewd trades and hitting on second round draft picks consistently. I thought he should have won Exec of the Year last season, and barring a complete collapse or some injuries by the Rockets, I'd be surprised if he doesn't win in this year. He has stuck by his guns when everything he was doing was going against the grain of other NBA GMs and it didn't look like he had a chance in hell of making it happen.

And as a die-hard Rockets fan who listens to sports talk radio regularly, I don't know that all the Rockets fans in here are being genuine. I CONSTANTLY heard people on the radio ask for Morey's job last offseason. People didn't like his reputation for dealing players like they were Pokemon cards or that he kept swinging for the fences every offseason instead of rebuilding. People weren't even confident after the Harden signing. A lot of fans (the ignorant ones) said Harden wasn't worth a max contract and that Morey made a mistake.

The entire portion of the City of Houston which doubted him should be eating crow right about now. Years ago, fans came up with a slogan which I thought was pretty lame at the time, but seems so very fitting now: "In Morey we trust."

astrosmaniac
07-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Morey shouldn't receive all of the credit. Les Alexander was very patient and could have cut ties with him multiple times. This is the first time a team hasn't drafted a star, nor did an actual rebuild take place. Rockets fans were upset with his constant flipping of assets, because we never knew what our team was going to look like so we never got attached to anyone. We also thought that the only way to get good is to be really bad, but he disproved that by landing Harden and now Howard.

Hold on there. I can't tell you how mad I was at les for not letting Morey rebuild correctly. Les wasn't able to stomache being bad for like 2 years to get a good pick. Sure it did work out, but if it hasn't I would have said it was more les at fault for holding Morey back

Greg.
07-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't think we can say we're a top 3 team in the NBA yet. We don't know how our team will play together. Dwight seems to be friends with all our players but we'll see come playoff time. We have the potential to be top 3 in the west but okc, SAS, lac and Memphis have all been there before and the warriors getting Iggy makes it that much harder

nyyfan4life
07-06-2013, 12:07 PM
The Magic of Morey:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2882831/rockets_dwight__2_.jpg

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM

1. Salary issues now going into next season - Bosh, Anderson, and Allen are question-marks
3. Legitimate danger here, but they're not invincible, plus they lost their Swingman in Martin
5. This is a big question-mark with the coaching change - Hollins crafted that team into what they were.

Houston is definitely on the top 5 in the West list, I wouldn't say top 5 in the league just yet - not til they've proven that roster can work well together.

In West, sure. But not in the league. I think Bulls will be a top 5 team this upcoming season. Pacers can also be a threat.

SteveNash
07-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah I gotta side with Rox fans, those that wanted Morey gone were in the small minority.

His genius has been evident from day 1. Dwight has nothing to do with it, these kind of moves are NO BRAINERS. Im sure he gets credit for helping lure him to Houston, but most of that credit has to do with his roster building while retaining CAP flexibility.

The man knows the formula for attracting stars. May not have landed them before but he peaks their interest

The formula for attracting stars is to hope for a new CBA with more financial restrictions, have a team put in the position of OKC where they couldn't pay all their guys, and have 2/3 teams ahead of him that wouldn't get a deal done. All for Harden who isn't a legit star?

Then with Dwight you have to go through multiple dwightmares, have a Lakers team that was completely inept, and have the cap space at the right time to sign another guy who hasn't been able to carry a team?

Let us not forget that Morey's "star" before he lucked into Harden/Howard, was to get an aging Pau Gasol at $20 million a year, eating up his cap room and trade assets. Stern has been the Rockets best GM over Morey's tenure.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I lol'd.

Yeah it's true though.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 03:33 PM

Miami
SAS
OKC
LAC
Grizz

I think Houston is top 5 in the NBA, top 3 in the west right now. I think people underrate Chandler Parsons. They have added Francisco Garcia and Omri Casspi which will be good additions to the bench. We will see what else they will do but let's not assume the Rockets aren't title contenders just because people hate Dwight Howard, ha ha.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I think Houston is top 5 in the NBA, top 3 in the west right now. I think people underrate Chandler Parsons. They have added Francisco Garcia and Omri Casspi which will be good additions to the bench. We will see what else they will do but let's not assume the Rockets aren't title contenders just because people hate Dwight Howard, ha ha.

What makes Houston top 5, though? They are still missing a few key pieces.

topdog
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Wow, just wow.

Just one year ago the Rockets roster was 7 PF's, an overpaid Jeremy Lin, and a then regarded as heavily overpaid Omer Asik. Everyone else had no experience. He has completely re-hauled that team.

He rebuilt a team without actually rebuilding (Rockets were never completely out of playoff picture).

I think everyone who hated on his tactics should owe him an apology right about now.

I think Morey's on pretty even ground right now. He was hailed as a genius for years while maintaining an ever-changing but consistently middle ground team and now he's actually done something that could back up that hyperbole.

Very nice job assembling this roster which is an Asik trade away from having a superior starting lineup. Let's not put the horse before the cart though as big time transactions don't always work as we think (see last year's summer blockbuster). Morey is still human and it's only fair to also mention: Dwight has the Kevin Love style 3rd year opt out, the Royce White gamble was nothing but a headache and Jeremy Lin is not worth his contract.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I think Morey's on pretty even ground right now. He was hailed as a genius for years while maintaining an ever-changing but consistently middle ground team and now he's actually done something that could back up that hyperbole.
HUH? .....what did he finally do? Dwight coming to Houston isn't proof of anything, thats a no brainer. Whatever credit he gets for getting Dwight to sign on the dotted line was only possible because of the genius that was evident from day 1. With how he was consistently winning trades and finding superb value late in the draft. The fact that the team was ever changing yet remained competitive is what he hangs his hat on. His owner didn't want him rebuilding through the early lottery so he found a way to retool without ever doing that. Houston may finally have snagged a star, but they have been in the conversation every year, and thats because they always seem to have cap space or tradeable assets while fielding a competitive team.

Very nice job assembling this roster which is an Asik trade away from having a superior starting lineup. Let's not put the horse before the cart though as big time transactions don't always work as we think (see last year's summer blockbuster). Morey is still human and it's only fair to also mention: Dwight has the Kevin Love style 3rd year opt out, the Royce White gamble was nothing but a headache and Jeremy Lin is not worth his contract.
They usually do, so Im sure hes worthy of praise. My thing is, getting Dwight as a FA isn't as impressive as what hes done in the past so Im not sure what you are looking at.

topdog
07-06-2013, 05:25 PM
HUH? .....what did he finally do? Dwight coming to Houston isn't proof of anything, thats a no brainer. Whatever credit he gets for getting Dwight to sign on the dotted line was only possible because of the genius that was evident from day 1. With how he was consistently winning trades and finding superb value late in the draft. The fact that the team was ever changing yet remained competitive is what he hangs his hat on. His owner didn't want him rebuilding through the early lottery so he found a way to retool without ever doing that. Houston may finally have snagged a star, but they have been in the conversation every year, and thats because they always seem to have cap space or tradeable assets while fielding a competitive team.

Capspace and assets are only truly valuable once they have been used to markedly improve the team. Yes, it's impressive that an ever-changing roster continually made the playoffs or was just outside the window looking in, but all that turnover was waiting on a couple big moves like this one and the Harden trade. "Winning" all those small trades didn't add up to much at the time - Houston was still a 8-9 seed.

They usually do, so Im sure hes worthy of praise. My thing is, getting Dwight as a FA isn't as impressive as what hes done in the past so Im not sure what you are looking at.

He definitely deserves praise. I just don't think that anyone should hoist a championship banner just yet as people were last year with Brooklyn and LAL. Staying even over several years and not allowing improvement from within (because players are always being flipped as "assets") isn't something that I'm going to call a GM a "genius" for doing. Parsons is the only player that they drafted who has been deemed worth keeping around and we don't know yet if he'll last past his rookie contract.

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Parsons played a bigger role in Dwight coming to Houston than Morey did

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
The formula for attracting stars is to hope for a new CBA with more financial restrictions, have a team put in the position of OKC where they couldn't pay all their guys, and have 2/3 teams ahead of him that wouldn't get a deal done. All for Harden who isn't a legit star?

Then with Dwight you have to go through multiple dwightmares, have a Lakers team that was completely inept, and have the cap space at the right time to sign another guy who hasn't been able to carry a team?

Let us not forget that Morey's "star" before he lucked into Harden/Howard, was to get an aging Pau Gasol at $20 million a year, eating up his cap room and trade assets. Stern has been the Rockets best GM over Morey's tenure.

Remember what the Rockets were giving up in that trade : Luis Scola, Goran Dragic, and Kevin Martin. Those are necessarily foundational pieces. Now I agree he then turned those into something more but everyone agreed that was a steal trade for the Rockets.

What makes Houston top 5, though? They are still missing a few key pieces.

I think having the league's best center and the leagues best SG (arguably of course top 3 unquestionably) makes for an excellent foundation. I think the Rockets role players are underrated. Chandler Parsons is a swiss army knife. He can defend, cut, hit 3's, create his own shot, and is as cheap as they come salary wise for the next 2 seasons.

Donatas Motiejunas is going to be the leagues biggest surprise next year. He's a legitimate 7-footer than can hit 3's and drive to the hoop. He can stretch the floor tremendously and fits well with the rockets new team. Then you have some perimeter shooters in Omri Casspi and Francisco Garcia that will further help stretch the floor.

Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin are both young assets. If we keep Asik, we will have the best 1-2 center combination in the league. Our interior defense will be amazing no matter which one is on the floor. Jeremy Lin is one of the most underrated players in the NBA now. Last year he was slightly overrated going onto the Rockets. He had a 4.40 WS and a 16 APER (the league average APER was 12 last year). Remember his PER with the Knicks was 19.86, his only been in the NBA 3 years. He will improve and get much better.

They also have Greg Smith and Patrick Beverly, both key role players from last year. They are cheap and their advanced metrics are excellent. They are young and provide great bench depth.

The Rockets have a stockpile of draft picks to continue to get better. They still have the room exception to use as well.

For all of these reasons i believe the Rockets will be top 3 in the West and top 5 in the NBA next season.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Capspace and assets are only truly valuable once they have been used to markedly improve the team. Yes, it's impressive that an ever-changing roster continually made the playoffs or was just outside the window looking in, but all that turnover was waiting on a couple big moves like this one and the Harden trade. "Winning" all those small trades didn't add up to much at the time - Houston was still a 8-9 seed.

Because its impressive is why his genius was evident. This Dwight signing is only a revelation/vindication for those who were woefully unaware of the process from day 1.
Winning all those small trades are what made it possible to land Dwight and be in contention for the services of others before him. I dont care whether Dwight signed, all I can expect from a GM is that he puts himself in that position given the orders from above, thats a very hard feet to accomplish. Particularly when you consider he took over a team that couldn't win without its stars when he got there.

He definitely deserves praise. I just don't think that anyone should hoist a championship banner just yet as people were last year with Brooklyn and LAL.
That has nothing to do with the GM tho. When the Lakers traded for Dwight, I was still calling Kupcake a truly mediocre GM. The main piece he used to trade for Dwight (Bynum) wasn't even his own draft choice, yet you had people with sigs of him acting like a boss. Kupcake has allowed his contenders to whither and age, continuously making bad moves that will now haunt them unless the luster of the LA Market saves them. Thats why looking at the bottom line instead of the context of that bottom line is so futile.

Staying even over several years and not allowing improvement from within (because players are always being flipped as "assets") isn't something that I'm going to call a GM a "genius" for doing.
Improvement from within? LOL , Morey doesn't look trade players with tremendous ascension value. He trades players when they are about to become liabilities to the salary structure or when hes improved the talent base. If they are replaceable or not worth the salary, they get flipped. If he had kept the players it seems you would have liked him to keep, Dwight isn't a Rocket right now..... come to think about it, its likely Harden isn't a Rocket either. So yea, you have nothing to stand on.

Its like I told you before when he traded Budinger, Budinger had given them some solid years of service and was a decent find late in the draft, but rather than give him the MLE (as the Twolves just did) he found a superior prospect in the 2nd round (Parsons was signed for like 4 years at the min) thus allowing him to not only upgrade the position but also maintain CAP flexibility for several years longer. Good luck finding many GM's that have done that as consistently as Morey.

Parsons is the only player that they drafted who has been deemed worth keeping around and we don't know yet if he'll last past his rookie contract.
Point? If Morey can find a superior replacement for Parsons with a friendlier contract, why not flip him for even more future assets to keep this thing going? Lest we forget how Parsons became a Rocket in the first place.
He has a core in place now tho so I doubt he does it, but considering that Morey had the foresight to get something for Budinger before his contract expired, knowing Parsons would be such an upgrade anyways, its kind of hard to doubt the guy whos so money.

I mean, why should they have kept those players if its obviously not in the best interest of the team? Remember, the Rockets have always had the goal of luring a star with money ball assets. It was never to become the next treadmill team.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Parsons played a bigger role in Dwight coming to Houston than Morey did

Yup, and Morey played the biggest role in Parsons being here, he also negotiated the contract that has made Parsons the most cap friendly producer in the league. Moneyball FTW.

topdog
07-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Because its impressive is why his genius was evident. This Dwight signing is only a revelation/vindication for those who were woefully unaware of the process from day 1.
Winning all those small trades are what made it possible to land Dwight and be in contention for the services of others before him. I dont care whether Dwight signed, all I can expect from a GM is that he puts himself in that position given the orders from above, thats a very hard feet to accomplish. Particularly when you consider he took over a team that couldn't win without its stars when he got there.

So the only way to have capspace and assets its to turnover the roster every other year? That's not impressive to me. I can sign a player to a deal that will expire in 4 years when I'm ready to use the capspace, but I also have that opportunity to develop the player and use them as a trade asset or use them as a significant enough expiring contract to gain assets. Utah for instance had clear books to make the trade with Golden State without shuffling contracts and while re-building on the fly.

That has nothing to do with the GM tho. When the Lakers traded for Dwight, I was still calling Kupcake a truly mediocre GM. The main piece he used to trade for Dwight (Bynum) wasn't even his own draft choice, yet you had people with sigs of him acting like a boss. Kupcake has allowed his contenders to whither and age, continuously making bad moves that will now haunt them unless the luster of the LA Market saves them. Thats why looking at the bottom line instead of the context of that bottom line is so futile.

The context of that particular example is that the Lakers are a destination market just like New York. They have the appeal, the money and the history to lure top free agents so they can flub trades and drafts (they treat draft picks like throw-ins in trades) and still come out a year or two later with a competitive roster.

Improvement from within? LOL , Morey doesn't look trade players with tremendous ascension value. He trades players when they are about to become liabilities to the salary structure or when hes improved the talent base. If they are replaceable or not worth the salary, they get flipped. If he had kept the players it seems you would have liked him to keep, Dwight isn't a Rocket right now..... come to think about it, its likely Harden isn't a Rocket either. So yea, you have nothing to stand on.

So, essentially you're saying that Morey doesn't draft as well as you and others want to give him credit for? If he doesn't keep anybody he drafts because they don't have any sort of ceiling then he's not really finding gems. In fact, I'd suggest that Houston's coaches have more to do with upping the value of players to the point where they perform better there than they will anywhere else and so the trade is already won. The retort of course will be that Morey wasn't allowed to tank so what can you expect with the picks he had. I'd say that I expect more from could-have-been picks in Gay and Batum and that the mid-first round is hard to screw up with leaking lottery talent and low expectations.

Its like I told you before when he traded Budinger, Budinger had given them some solid years of service and was a decent find late in the draft, but rather than give him the MLE (as the Twolves just did) he found a superior prospect in the 2nd round (Parsons was signed for like 4 years at the min) thus allowing him to not only upgrade the position but also maintain CAP flexibility for several years longer. Good luck finding many GM's that have done that as consistently as Morey.

As I have told you before, that's part of why I think that he's one of the better GMs. Morey does make quality trades involving secondary talent, but they are not trades that necessarily impact the big picture. Golden State was over the cap and just found a way to sign Iguodala. They didn't have to nitpick over talent and contracts to get into that position.

Point? If Morey can find a superior replacement for Parsons with a friendlier contract, why not flip him for even more future assets to keep this thing going? Lest we forget how Parsons became a Rocket in the first place.
He has a core in place now tho so I doubt he does it, but considering that Morey had the foresight to get something for Budinger before his contract expired, knowing Parsons would be such an upgrade anyways, its kind of hard to doubt the guy whos so money.

I mean, why should they have kept those players if its obviously not in the best interest of the team? Remember, the Rockets have always had the goal of luring a star with money ball assets. It was never to become the next treadmill team.

The point is that those who call Morey a "genius" will not admit that he's not some expert at drafting and finding gems. He finds serviceable NBA talent that his coaches (mainly Adelman so far) turn into more-or-less fools gold. Genius should be used in reference to teams like San Antonio who have the foresight to pick Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli and consistently plug in role players to compliment the quality drafting that they do.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 07:11 PM
So the only way to have capspace and assets its to turnover the roster every other year?
LOL is this suppose to be a rhetorical question? (Dont answer that)

Think it through logically. If you are resigning guys, thats obviously going to cut into your cap space. The only way to have cap space and quality assets without completely tanking is to have a great GM.

I can sign a player to a deal that will expire in 4 years when I'm ready to use the capspace,
Thats the flaw, you have no choice but to wait until it expires. What if a scenario comes up where you need to use physical assets in conjunction with the Cap space? You just missed a golden opportunity because you lacked the foresight. Morey would have lost out on so many players if he followed your vague model IMO.

but I also have that opportunity to develop the player and use them as a trade asset or use them as a significant enough expiring contract to gain assets.
Yeah Morey does that to. Its how you guys got Budinger in the first place.

Utah for instance had clear books to make the trade with Golden State without shuffling contracts and while re-building on the fly.
What?

The context of that particular example is that the Lakers are a destination market just like New York. They have the appeal, the money and the history to lure top free agents so they can flub trades and drafts (they treat draft picks like throw-ins in trades) and still come out a year or two later with a competitive roster.
Imagine how good they would be if they didn't just rely on their brand/market appeal, but were capable of drafting/trading smart.

So, essentially you're saying that Morey doesn't draft as well as you and others want to give him credit for?
Thats essentially asking me to ignore all statistical data that suggests otherwise.... so no.

If he doesn't keep anybody he drafts because they don't have any sort of ceiling then he's not really finding gems.
You're reaching WAY too hard for that one. The simple counter to this is, its because hes such a great drafter that he feels he can replace any player, no matter how talented.

In fact, I'd suggest that Houston's coaches have more to do with upping the value of players to the point where they perform better there than they will anywhere else and so the trade is already won.
You can suggest whatever you want, let me know when you have some concrete evidence to support it.

I'd say that I expect more from could-have-been picks in Gay and Batum
Gay? Plz elaborate........
And spare me the amateur draft critique, you can play that game with everyone. Im more interested in the overall batting average. Look at where he drafts and the historical value that typically comes from those slots, you will find he ranks very highly.

and that the mid-first round is hard to screw up with leaking lottery talent and low expectations.

Thats the thing about Morey, ask Bill Simmons if you dont believe me, when Morey drafts a player, there are no low expectations. Its hard to gain a rep like that with late picks.

As I have told you before, that's part of why I think that he's one of the better GMs. Morey does make quality trades involving secondary talent, but they are not trades that necessarily impact the big picture. Golden State was over the cap and just found a way to sign Iguodala. They didn't have to nitpick over talent and contracts to get into that position.
LMFAO, umm yes they did. You dont seem to recall the horrendous moves that got them in this position of waiting in the first place. Their failure to amnesty that Lithuanian guy (seriously forgot his name at the moment) in favor of Bell was universally ridiculed. Speaking of which, **** GS for offering DJ the deal that we had to match for Blake, imagine if they actually got DJ. They would have been ****ed.

Secondly, the trade for Richard Jefferson was seen as them buying a 1st R pick, but they paid a much bigger price than prior markets have dictated. So even that was ridiculed at the time.

The point is that those who call Morey a "genius" will not admit that he's not some expert at drafting and finding gems.
Thats because we dont have to. Empirical data trumps selective bias IMO. Particularly when you come off so uninformed. Ive honestly had enough, I hope your post doesn't take this long to correct. Forgive me if I spare myself from whatever you saved for last.

topdog
07-06-2013, 08:36 PM
LOL is this suppose to be a rhetorical question? (Dont answer that)

Think it through logically. If you are resigning guys, thats obviously going to cut into your cap space. The only way to have cap space and quality assets without completely tanking is to have a great GM.

Thats the flaw, you have no choice but to wait until it expires. What if a scenario comes up where you need to use physical assets in conjunction with the Cap space? You just missed a golden opportunity because you lacked the foresight. Morey would have lost out on so many players if he followed your vague model IMO.

Yeah Morey does that to. Its how you guys got Budinger in the first place.

What?

Imagine how good they would be if they didn't just rely on their brand/market appeal, but were capable of drafting/trading smart.

Thats essentially asking me to ignore all statistical data that suggests otherwise.... so no.

You're reaching WAY too hard for that one. The simple counter to this is, its because hes such a great drafter that he feels he can replace any player, no matter how talented.

You can suggest whatever you want, let me know when you have some concrete evidence to support it.

Gay? Plz elaborate........
And spare me the amateur draft critique, you can play that game with everyone. Im more interested in the overall batting average. Look at where he drafts and the historical value that typically comes from those slots, you will find he ranks very highly.

Thats the thing about Morey, ask Bill Simmons if you dont believe me, when Morey drafts a player, there are no low expectations. Its hard to gain a rep like that with late picks.

LMFAO, umm yes they did. You dont seem to recall the horrendous moves that got them in this position of waiting in the first place. Their failure to amnesty that Lithuanian guy (seriously forgot his name at the moment) in favor of Bell was universally ridiculed. Speaking of which, **** GS for offering DJ the deal that we had to match for Blake, imagine if they actually got DJ. They would have been ****ed.

Secondly, the trade for Richard Jefferson was seen as them buying a 1st R pick, but they paid a much bigger price than prior markets have dictated. So even that was ridiculed at the time.

Thats because we dont have to. Empirical data trumps selective bias IMO. Particularly when you come off so uninformed. Ive honestly had enough, I hope your post doesn't take this long to correct. Forgive me if I spare myself from whatever you saved for last.

Like a friggin' book! ^

I was about to write an even longer response (as your "rebuttals" tend to get longer and longer as you go and thus I have to respond to more and more) but since you like your high horse so much and feel like acting like a pompous condescending *** rather and being "right" rather than actually debating with people and dissecting alternate perspectives, I will leave you and your all knowing statistics to my ignore list.

Just for the road: Gay was a projected as a "consensus" (morons like me) top 6 pick and went on to be valuable enough that teams were getting in line to give him a max contract. So, Morey got some real value in trading him right? I guess you could say that if you consider paying a role player the most money he's made in his career to play the worst he's played in his career... at least as far as advanced stats would suggest.

http://nbadraft.net/mocks/2006_nba_mock_draft.html

http://collegebasketballnews.scout.com/2/533973.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/battish01.html

jam
07-06-2013, 08:47 PM
The only minor downside is that morey's constant shuffling of the roster can make it very difficult to form an allegiance to the team's players. There's been a ton of turnover, and rockets fans are often miffed when one of their favorites is moved within a season or two, or even sooner.

It's like you're rooting for the rockets and a half dozen players on other teams who used to play for the rockets.

sep11ie
07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Morey, Ferry, and Ujiri are gonna start their own secret GMing society where they get drunk and prank call the Knicks

Chronz
07-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Like a friggin' book! ^

I was about to write an even longer response (as your "rebuttals" tend to get longer and longer as you go and thus I have to respond to more and more) but since you like your high horse so much and feel like acting like a pompous condescending *** rather and being "right" rather than actually debating with people and dissecting alternate perspectives, I will leave you and your all knowing statistics to my ignore list.
(Threatening) Placing someone on their ignore list yet insisting on responding anyways.....Ultimate sign of defeat. And plz spare me the woe is me crapola. Just because I dont have much patience for outright lies/ignorance, doesn't mean Im not willing to converse, it just means you're sensitive by my standards. I have never and will never block anyone, lol wtf? As if Im just some troll who does nothing but babble incoherently. Dont like reading books, stop talking about things you CLEARLY dont know much of.

Just for the road: Gay was a projected as a "consensus" (morons like me) top 6 pick and went on to be valuable enough that teams were getting in line to give him a max contract. So, Morey got some real value in trading him right?
Yes, he got the superior player for a team in win now mode.

I guess you could say that if you consider paying a role player the most money he's made in his career to play the worst he's played in his career... at least as far as advanced stats would suggest.
Forgive me if I dont have much faith in your ability to comprehend Battier's quantifiable impact LMFAO. Hes always been a superior player to Gay.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 09:00 PM
The only minor downside is that morey's constant shuffling of the roster can make it very difficult to form an allegiance to the team's players. There's been a ton of turnover, and rockets fans are often miffed when one of their favorites is moved within a season or two, or even sooner.

It's like you're rooting for the rockets and a half dozen players on other teams who used to play for the rockets.

Yea but Houston needs championship buzz for the city to get excited, even when they had 2 of the most popular players in the league the fans were meh....

Dwight will create a buzz, but Morey needs a championship caliber team.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Morey, Ferry, and Ujiri are gonna start their own secret GMing society where they get drunk and prank call the Knicks

LOL I saw that tweet yesterday....hilarious!!!

jam
07-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Houston's football roots are too strong for the city to get excited about the rockets, I'm afraid, regardless of how good they are.

Yea but Houston needs championship buzz for the city to get excited, even when they had 2 of the most popular players in the league the fans were meh....

Dwight will create a buzz, but Morey needs a championship caliber team.

Chronz
07-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Houston's football roots are too strong for the city to get excited about the rockets, I'm afraid, regardless of how good they are.

True.... not since the 80's have the Rockets been a high selling venue (attendance wise at least). I wonder what happened, it seemed like they had a team on the rise and then injuries/drugs depleted a very promising core. The fans stopped caring after the luster of that Finals run rat out and even after Dreams back2back titles, the Rockets still didn't sell out. Adding HOF'ers like Pippen, Drexler, Barkley, Yao, Tmac didn't do **** either.

Im sure they are doing well financially because of TV deals and what not but its still sad to see.

Knowledge
07-06-2013, 09:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOhIXMBCEAA6csH.jpg:large

Morey.

KnickaBocka.44
07-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Collecting assets to trade for a star was his plan the whole time. He did what Cuban wanted too. A team that didn't want to pay the luxury tax relinquishing a great player for a lot of assets. He put himself into a position to get these assets and then acquire this star. Cuban forgot to get assets.

It's also not luck when a star signs with you. It's not 2k. They had a three hour meeting, as well four other teams.

Can we please establish that Cuban is not the GM of the Mavs?

Chronz
07-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Nice pic, the funniest moves were IMO

Turning Brooks into Dragic +pick (lol phoenix)
Turning Rafer Alston into Kyle Lowry (lol Orlando)

In both cases they significantly upgraded, reduced salary and were able to get more future assets in the process.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Can we please establish that Cuban is not the GM of the Mavs?

Could have fooled me.

KnickaBocka.44
07-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Could have fooled me.

Everyone assumes he is because they know his name and he's a businessman. It's irritating

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Everyone assumes he is because they know his name and he's a businessman. It's irritating

Maybe it is because, like Jerry Jones, he interjects himself into the business operations of the franchise. He acts like a Co-GM a lot of the time. He might need to take a step back as Jerry Jones needs to do.

Munkeysuit
07-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Morey is one of those GM's that thinks like the fans that play around with the ESPN trade machine and stuff...which is a good thing!

JerseyPalahniuk
07-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Damn. That's me right there haha. Kind of had a mini-revelation haaha. my bad

AWC713
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM

not at all an accurate description of this fan base, because some rockets fans on PSD didnt like morey.

i for one have backed him from day one, as have MANY rockets fans.

a more accurate site to check out would be clutchfans.net, which is a HUGE rockets fan forum site (thread posts are really funny, too)

3RDASYSTEM
07-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Wow, just wow.

What people fail to realize is that he stayed aggressive and went after players just came up short annually

its a reason why he gave a big woop when he landed Howard, win win for all parties involved

sep11ie
07-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Nice pic, the funniest moves were IMO

Turning Brooks into Dragic +pick (lol phoenix)
Turning Rafer Alston into Kyle Lowry (lol Orlando)

In both cases they significantly upgraded, reduced salary and were able to get more future assets in the process.

Lowry came from Memphis.

ChiSox219
07-07-2013, 10:54 AM
So how much money do you all think Morey is worth?

I still see people hating, I guess it's because Morey has been getting so much hype for an Executive that people still want to discredit him and call him lucky. I wish the Bulls could bring this guy in but their fans wanna call him overrated too.

Chronz
07-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Lowry came from Memphis.
Never said he didn't, the implication was that Orlando was the one who gave Memphis the assets they wanted. Houston literally gave nothing to Memphis, Orlando gave up the picks and cap space. They should have simply made the deal without Houston.

FarOutIos
06-25-2014, 03:21 AM
Seems like a year since this was posted... but just out of curiosity, I just wanted to see how others felt about how the Rockets have been progressing.

Last I recalled, everyone was praising Morey for being the best GM in the world. And the Rockets did have a great year. But how far is the team going? Is this team what fans and Morey expected?

Also, it seems as if not all of his decisions have panned out. Lin? Asik? Montejunas? Seems like with Morey you get some good moves and some bad moves... Pretty much like most GMs. Thoughts?...

flclfanman
06-25-2014, 03:34 AM
Seems like a year since this was posted... but just out of curiosity, I just wanted to see how others felt about how the Rockets have been progressing.

Last I recalled, everyone was praising Morey for being the best GM in the world. And the Rockets did have a great year. But how far is the team going? Is this team what fans and Morey expected?

Also, it seems as if not all of his decisions have panned out. Lin? Asik? Montejunas? Seems like with Morey you get some good moves and some bad moves... Pretty much like most GMs. Thoughts?...

I give him credit for landing guys like Howard and Harden, but he seems to overpay for flavor of the month guys (Asik, Lin, etc.) and what's worse is he'll Poison Pill some contracts. As if he's going out of his way to give a bad contract to an above average player. I like the aggressiveness, but eventually the grenades you throw will blow up in your face...

FarOutIos
06-25-2014, 04:33 AM
I give him credit for landing guys like Howard and Harden, but he seems to overpay for flavor of the month guys (Asik, Lin, etc.) and what's worse is he'll Poison Pill some contracts. As if he's going out of his way to give a bad contract to an above average player. I like the aggressiveness, but eventually the grenades you throw will blow up in your face...

Sure you can give him credit for landing big name guys... but is he really doing anything special to get them? Or is it just a factor of the market size of houston? It's no secret that the larger markets have an easier time of signing big name FAs. So, houston should be getting these players. Granted, not all big markets can get the players, so at least they are doing what is reasonably expected.

This is why I believe that he is an above average GM. I think we are all too willing to give more credit than is due to some of the GMs at times. They are all very intelligent and basketball experts. Some are slightly better. Some have better team situations (big markets). Some have had luck. Etc, etc...

FarOutIos
06-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Oh... but I would like to see how the Rockets match up if they can end up signing a player like Melo... A harden, melo, howard big 3 would be interesting...

THE MTL
06-25-2014, 09:39 AM
It takes luck too. We all knew Harden was good but we didnt know that given his own team he would be All-NBA First team status.

IndyRealist
06-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Morey is always active whenever a good player becomes available, wins every trade, and doesn't blow up his cap space to do it. Just a couple of years ago NO ONE wanted to play in Houston. Now supposedly Lebron and Melo are thinking about relocating. He made trades to build assets, then flipped those assets into legit players. He also drafts very well, aside from Royce White.

The one thing he doesn't do, that pretty much the rest of the NBA does, is overcommit to his own decisions. He doesn't fall in love with players just because he picked them. He brought in Kevin Martin and drafted Jeremy Lamb, and flipped them both for Harden without blinking. He stole Thomas Robinson out from under everyone's noses, then moved him just as quickly when it wasn't working out. Does he come off as kind of mercenary and cold-hearted? Sure. But does he make his team better?

Vinylman
06-25-2014, 10:57 AM
He has done a great job so far in getting the players he wants ... do I agree with all his signings? No

I truly believe D12 was duplicative and that just having Asik PLUS another top tier guy would make the team better...

In addition, his willingness to stick with McHale will never result in a significant playoff run

Time will tell how good of a GM he was but he definitely has a chance to be one of the best

FarOutIos
06-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Morey is always active whenever a good player becomes available, wins every trade, and doesn't blow up his cap space to do it. Just a couple of years ago NO ONE wanted to play in Houston. Now supposedly Lebron and Melo are thinking about relocating. He made trades to build assets, then flipped those assets into legit players. He also drafts very well, aside from Royce White.

The one thing he doesn't do, that pretty much the rest of the NBA does, is overcommit to his own decisions. He doesn't fall in love with players just because he picked them. He brought in Kevin Martin and drafted Jeremy Lamb, and flipped them both for Harden without blinking. He stole Thomas Robinson out from under everyone's noses, then moved him just as quickly when it wasn't working out. Does he come off as kind of mercenary and cold-hearted? Sure. But does he make his team better?

Lol. I'm not sure how this was a steal... or how he won in that trade...

As a kings fan, I know we received Patrick Patterson for T-Rob. The rest of the trade was junk for both sides. We then parlayed Patterson in a trade to Toronto for Gay. Added in the trade was a player we had just signed as a free agent in Vasquez. So... this seems more like the "mercenary and cold-hearted moves" that build a successful team.

Morey moved T-Rob for what, a couple of second round picks? And a couple of Euros who may or may not play here?

If you think about it, if Morey was that smooth, he would have traded Patterson for Gay...

Now, if Houston signs a great player, they may end up with a contender. But... again, I think the fact that Houston is a large market team also has alot to do with their ability to sign FAs.

FarOutIos
06-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah... and talking about Morey's drafting and trading skills... How is drafting Morris with the 14th pick in the draft, just to trade him for a second round pick, a sign of a skilled GM?

Saddletramp
06-25-2014, 04:46 PM

If you think about it, if Morey was that smooth, he would have traded Patterson for Gay...

First, there were a lot of parts in that trade. It wasn't just Patterson for Gay. Second, why would Houston want anything to do with Rudy Gay and that contract?

Saddletramp
06-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah... and talking about Morey's drafting and trading skills... How is drafting Morris with the 14th pick in the draft, just to trade him for a second round pick, a sign of a skilled GM?

Not everything Morey does works out. And he was flipped for the capspace. Same with Thomas Robinson. Those guys didn't live up to their potential so they were basically dumped. Morey's about to do the same thing with some guys if it means another big name comes in.

nyyfan4life
06-25-2014, 05:04 PM
The best thing about Morey is that he landed 2 superstars without tanking, having a top 10 pick or having a losing season during his tenure. He rebuilt the team while keeping the team in play-off contention every season. That's why he's so good. It isn't hard to rebuild when you have top 5-10 picks year after year after year.

bcc
06-25-2014, 05:10 PM
People give Morey a bit too much credit, in part because he was an MIT grad and part-time professor while with the Celtics. He's an intelligent man, no doubt. But he didn't even work in the Basketball Operations side of things in Boston, so bringing him in as a GM was a risky move by Carroll Dawson. Still, I think he's a good GM; somewhat fearless and not afraid to swing for the fences.
Trading a #1 for Terrence Williams a few years back was ugly. The money he's scheduled to pay Lin in 2015 certainly looks boneheaded right now. But he knows how to gather assets and by and large, does a good job utilizing them..

SteveNash
06-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Still a terrible GM, Jeremy Lin signing was still the worst in NBA history, got to get rid of that contract.

He's lucky the Rockets owner has so much patience.

LOL Yeah because James Harden is not a star, nor Dwight Howard. LOL The Rockets are top 3 in the Western Conference, top 5 in the NBA, right now before they add anything else. All they need is more perimeter shooters and then they will be deadly. They have a ton of young assets and have plenty of draft picks still saved up.

LOL, Harden and Dwight proved they're not true stars again this year. Can't even make it out of the first round against a weak Portland team.

Asik's better
06-25-2014, 07:38 PM

As a kings fan, I know we received Patrick Patterson for T-Rob. The rest of the trade was junk for both sides. We then parlayed Patterson in a trade to Toronto for Gay. Added in the trade was a player we had just signed as a free agent in Vasquez. So... this seems more like the "mercenary and cold-hearted moves" that build a successful team.

Morey moved T-Rob for what, a couple of second round picks? And a couple of Euros who may or may not play here?

Now, if Houston signs a great player, they may end up with a contender. But... again, I think the fact that Houston is a large market team also has alot to do with their ability to sign FAs.
1. I'm so glad he didn't trade for Gay. And a lot and I mean a lot of people will agree with me. I mean it's so funny that you think Morey would be a better GM if he traded for Gay.
2. If the fact that Houston is such a large city is a major factor why didn't melo, bosh and Dwight want to come to houston.

Finally, the parsons and buds picks cancel that pick out.

Still a terrible GM, Jeremy Lin signing was still the worst in NBA history, got to get rid of that contract.

Stop trolling, we get it. You hate Lin. But no one agrees with you.

Verbal Christ
06-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Prove it. Seems to me that you're just typing to read your own stuff later. Morey is revered in Houston. At no point in time has he been doubted, he's revolutionized the way the NBA scouts and utilizes the DLeague to prepare talent. Consistenly hitting on 2nd rounders and always coming out on top of deals. To make a blanket statement like you just did does a disservice to a fanbase.

Htownballa1622
06-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Again-Just read a tweet saying ROX payed Asik 10 mil for 2 years then gets 1st rounder for him.

Daryl Morey :cool:

RiLoc
06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
"People think Daryl Morey's biggest influence on the league has been the introduction of analytics. Daryl Morey's manipulation of the salary cap to his advantage has been his biggest influence as a general manager. That is how they traded for James Harden, signed Dwight Howard and still fully believe they can be in position to sign Parsons and a max level free agent this year." -Brian Windhorst (around 57 minutes on The Lowe Post 6/25 (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=11134317))

DillyDill
06-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Morey a gr8 Gm I thought it be would impossible to move Asik but he got a 1st for him insane. If he moves Lin 2 then GM of the year handsss down

gatkins11
06-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Morey a gr8 Gm I thought it be would impossible to move Asik but he got a 1st for him insane. If he moves Lin 2 then GM of the year handsss down

Asik wasn't the hard one to move, he's a very solid C. Moving Lin will be the challenge. I'm sure he's up to the task.

DillyDill
06-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Asik wasn't the hard one to move, he's a very solid C. Moving Lin will be the challenge. I'm sure he's up to the task.

I didn't think ppl wanted his 15mill but I was wrong. Have u heard the news, he has a deal for Lin in place if Bron or Mell commits.

mightybosstone
06-26-2014, 03:49 PM

LOL, Harden and Dwight proved they're not true stars again this year. Can't even make it out of the first round against a weak Portland team.
Obvious troll is obvious. I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that didn't come off like a pissed off, vindictive 16-year-old girl talking crap about her ex. Grow up and argue basketball like you actually have the capacity for civil sports discussion.

Vinylman
06-26-2014, 03:55 PM

exactly... basically the first he got from NO will probably be used to move Lin

the net/net of the combined deals will only be salary relief

TheIlladelph16
06-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I think people are underestimating how stupid other GM's are saying that Lin's contract can't be moved. I guarantee you Morey can move him without giving up a first round pick to do so.

Verbal Christ
06-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Lin is a cash cow. Not very hard to move.