PDA

View Full Version : Poor Dallas...

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Tore down championship team only to strike out horribly in free agency last two years. Dirk deserves better. RIP Dallas Mavericks.

kduce
07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I know dude, its crazy! I haven't seen a team fall so quickly except for Cleveland when Lebron left.

Aust
Cuban didn't even try to defend his championship. All for scoring big in free agency...

True Sports Fan
Bet Dirk isn't too pleased.

Bruno
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
they should have kept that core together.

Shareeb_omac2
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't know why you would feel bad when they actually won a championship and now have a ton of cap space for the next 3 seasons. That team wasn't going to repeat and you all knew it.

Pretty funny that they "fell apart" yet were only four games behind Houston last season even though Dirk missed almost half the season.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Repeat or not they would have remained a contender. Cap space means jackshit if you can't attract free agents.

Ryan328
07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
So now Dallas looks at Rondo, LA, Josh Smith, Brandon Jennings, Jarrett Jack, Millsap???? I have no clue where they go.

LakersMaster24
07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Who the hell would want to play in Dallas? What is there?

They were never a big free agent magnet, and all they have left is a washed up Dirk.

Htownballa1622
07-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Do the :dance:

jk.

I hate that teams like Dallas and Houston have to sit and have our fate decided by someone like DWIGHT. smh.

True Sports Fan
07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't know why you would feel bad when they actually won a championship and now have a ton of cap space for the next 3 seasons. That team wasn't going to repeat and you all knew it.

Pretty funny that they "fell apart" yet were only four games behind Houston last season even though Dirk missed almost half the season.

With Dirk getting up there in age, he may not have much longer to compete..

deaner
07-05-2013, 05:32 PM

They were never a big free agent magnet, and all they have left is a washed up Dirk.

Man, you just got dis'd from a laker fan with: a hobbled Kobe, gimpy Nash, uninterested Pau, and elderly shuttlesworth.

LakersMaster24
07-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Man, you just got dis'd from a laker fan with: a hobbled Kobe, gimpy Nash, uninterested Pau, and elderly shuttlesworth.

Ray Allen? What?

AddiX
07-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Letting Chandler go didn't just ruin there championship aspirations, it ruined any chance of having that defensive presence in the middle that other players like to play around.

I mean really, what's in Dallas? What are they building? What's there identity?

Deezy3
07-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Dallas gambled and unfortunately for them, lost out. Eventually they will bounce back, but its looking like it will be without Dirk on their team. I dont see them recovering and becoming a legit contender again in Dirk's career span. He'll be retired before they contend again. You never know though.

I do think Dallas should've held onto OJ Mayo though. Ive always been a huge fan of his game and i think he's going to be something special in this league one day.

GiantsSwaGG
07-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Where's LTBaby at?

king4day
07-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Ray Allen? What?

There was rumor that Artest was going to change his name to Jesus Shuttlesworth

deaner
07-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Ray Allen? What?

It's your own team... You are unaware MWP is changing his name?

True Sports Fan
07-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Does anyone see Dirk potentially requesting a trade? He's the last guy you would expect to request a trade, but I'd hate to see him finish his career on a mediocre/rebuilding team.

NYMetropolitans
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
They had a decade + worth of incredible success all culminating in a championship. Boo hoo.

zookman65
07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Dirk + Chandler + role players would have been better.

ElChinoLatino
07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
LOL it was a 50/50 chance with D12 in regards to production, wish the Rockets much of luck and hope that D12 is content with the whole organization. Now off to Bynum/Oden or Boggie next year.

sunsfan88
07-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Why did Dallas let Chandler, Barea etc. all go? Did they think that stars are gonna wanna come play for the 45 year old Dirk?

The Suns tried that same strategy with Nash...need less to mention that we failed.

At least the Mavs have the ring I guess... :(

Young2Kinsler
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Cuban screwed this team, and has wasted the end of Dirk's career. If he resigns Chandler, then we probably get Deron Williams last offseason.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Dallas/FT Worth area is awesome actually

Robbw241
07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
After all the **** we had to hear regarding Deron last year, I'm glad they're ****ed.

beasted86
07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Yup...

Cuban should have resigned the core and tried to trade pieces if anything.

Shareeb_omac2
07-05-2013, 08:14 PM
He offered Chandler a 1 year $20 million deal though. Look at the contracts those guys ended up getting. In order to of actually kept those guys the Mavs would be stuck with an overpaid Terry, Barea, and Chandler right now. They wouldn't of had any cap space at all and they would all be on the back half of their careers.

Snakeyestx
07-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I never understood the love Dallas has for Mark Cuban.. he's flamboyant, but after their championship year, it's been nothing but boneheaded move after boneheaded move. :(

The Lakers should probe Dallas for Dirk. ;)

hugepatsfan
07-05-2013, 08:41 PM
This serves as a cautionary tale to all of us that write about how it's better to flop. It can go wrong and leave a team screwed like this.

smith&wesson
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Repeat or not they would have remained a contender. Cap space means jackshit if you can't attract free agents.

+1

So now Dallas looks at Rondo, LA, Josh Smith, Brandon Jennings, Jarrett Jack, Millsap???? I have no clue where they go.

rondo and dirk would actually be nice. Don't think Boston is ready to part with rondo yet though.

Cracka2HI!
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't think it's poor Dallas, it's more like haha Dallas for your epic failure. Has an organization ever failed worse? Tore down a Championship team for nothing.

MrfadeawayJB
07-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Dallas will be back soon enough

bucketss
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM

and bad back dwig... oh wait never mind:D

Riodagoat
07-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Dallas will be back soon enough

Yea back. Back to irrelevance.

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Now they sign soon to be 32 year old Calderon to a 4 year, nearly 30 million dollar deal. Marc Cuban SMH.. Calderon is a very nice PG who I love and an outstanding teammate, leader etc.. but Dallas is just all over the place. No direction at all.

Drummond#1
07-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Even though he can be a douche Cuban is one of the best owners in the league. He cares about the team and fanbase. Not only did FA not work out but the prospects that he kept never developed. (Rodrigue, Wright, etc.)

OceanSpray
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
ClippersFan, what are you talking about. Dallas won a ring 2 years ago and weren't even able to contend last year because Dirk was injured. They would've been a playoff team last year and Calderon is definitely a great start. You need to focus on your own franchise.. They haven't won anything since?

Clippersfan86
07-05-2013, 11:23 PM
ClippersFan, what are you talking about. Dallas won a ring 2 years ago and weren't even able to contend last year because Dirk was injured. They would've been a playoff team last year and Calderon is definitely a great start. You need to focus on your own franchise.. They haven't won anything since?

The point of the thread went right over your head. They should have kept the championship team intact.

FOBolous
07-05-2013, 11:57 PM
why DID the mavericks tore down their championship team?

kblo247
07-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Cuban was like that kid who finally beat a video game on hard for the first time, and then decided to never play it again and traded it into GameStop.

He finally won a title, then said mission accomplished, blow it up and start over

rockets-fan
07-06-2013, 01:14 AM

Calderon is a great start for what? Just curious honestly.

But if you meant a great start to rebuilding you couldn't be more wrong, he's 31 and signing him till he's 36 is going to put a big hold on rebuilding. Maybe they get Jsmith?

Jose,smith,dirk?

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Calderon is a great start for what? Just curious honestly.

But if you meant a great start to rebuilding you couldn't be more wrong, he's 31 and signing him till he's 36 is going to put a big hold on rebuilding. Maybe they get Jsmith?

Jose,smith,dirk?

It's a great start because they are actually making moves. Calderon is a very underrated player. Great three point shooter, free throw shooter, and can get to the paint. Very underrated passer but can use some work on defense. I'm not saying he's going to make a huge impact, simply stating that it's not a bad signing. People need to realize that not all the franchises can sign great star players but Calderon is certainly a great pick. He fits perfectly with Rick's system.

UnWantedTheory
07-06-2013, 01:43 AM
It's a great start because they are actually making moves. Calderon is a very underrated player. Great three point shooter, free throw shooter, and can get to the paint. Very underrated passer but can use some work on defense. I'm not saying he's going to make a huge impact, simply stating that it's not a bad signing. People need to realize that not all the franchises can sign great star players but Calderon is certainly a great pick. He fits perfectly with Rick's system.

Calderon's contract is terrible for a 32 year old PG on a team in need of a serious rebuild. Ridiculous to think otherwise. Good fit for "Rick's system" or not, it was a bad signing for a rebuilding team.

Shareeb_omac2
07-06-2013, 01:46 AM
But the Mavs aren't rebuilding... They are going to attempt to put together a competitive team this season. Free agency/offseason isn't over.

OceanSpray
07-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Calderon's contract is terrible for a 32 year old PG on a team in need of a serious rebuild. Ridiculous to think otherwise. Good fit for "Rick's system" or not, it was a bad signing for a rebuilding team.

Who said they were rebuilding? They are still trying to contend. With Dirk getting older, Mark would be stupid to not move quick. Anyways, I've watched Calderon play. He's been a great player his entire career and a few more years won't change that. He fits right in with their system. He's a pass first type of player who can also score. It's not terrible, it's just about right. I don't think you've ever seen him play so I won't mention it again.

ThuglifeJ
07-06-2013, 02:05 AM
There identity is the team that is never the favorite, but always competing. They've always been that team, and they won a ring one year with that identity. You gotta love that type of under-the-radar team and the league needs those teams...ala the Spurs this past season.

But yeah don't give me that 'lol they dont have an identity or direction :O' crap. Especially from a friggin CLIPPERS fan. That's very annoying.

Also enough with the whining about Cuban dismantling the 2011 team. In hindsight it wasn't worth the gamble. But you can't use hindsight all the time with a gamble...if you pull a slot machine and win you say good gamble...if you don't you say it was bad. That's basically the logic with this all. Two reasons why you can't ***** about it nonstop.
1. Chandler's contract he was asking for was wayyy too much. Cuban would look bad either way. Either keeping that contract, or letting the defensive anchor go.
2. That team was hot at the right time, Dirk was unbelievable that playoffs and for anyone to think that could happen the next year just like it did in 2011 was kidding themselves.

Personally I wish Cuban kept Chandler, but I understand why he let him go to NY.

Right now I do feel bad that Dallas missed out on any big names again. But that's just the culture of the young stars today..they want to team up with other young studs and make their own history. It's understandable as well since they are immature and have more time left in the league to do things. Players also care about their nightlife nowadays. They dont wanna go out with a 35 year old Dirk Nowitzki or a 34 year old Kobe Bryant... I mean no one was lining up to sign with Scottie Pippen's trailblazers either.

Signing Calderon was a good move if they sign someone else now too. Otherwise the Mavs had a poor offseason

zookman65
07-06-2013, 02:06 AM

We all have to admit now that playing for cap space is wrong when in a matter of 24 hours you can clear cap space through salary dumps, sign and trades, trades etc.. Our chances of getting one of the big names likely would have been better had we had some of the assets here that we could have used as a trade chip. Cap space means nothing if the players dont want to come. They dont want to come if you dont have nice shiny assets on the team. Dirk aint that shiny no more...

sunsfan88
07-06-2013, 02:45 AM
Cuban was like that kid who finally beat a video game on hard for the first time, and then decided to never play it again and traded it into GameStop.

He finally won a title, then said mission accomplished, blow it up and start over

That's a horrible comparison. What's the point of having the game if you already beat the game on the hardest difficulty? Might as well trade the game in and get a new one to beat. Unless the game is like Halo, COD or Battlefield or something ;)

Dirkie
07-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Firstly ,that team would have no chance against that Miami Heat team one year older and wiser,and THAT team would be 1 year older.So that wasn't such a bad move ,but chandler should of been signed but you can't cry over the past. For now they missed out on the big names, FA isn't over,Calderon is a good sign because his game isnt based on athleticism,he can be a good player at age 35 and is a great mentor for Larkin .If we get Bynum to mature and sign him that would be like DH lite so it's not the end of the world.

MonroeFAN
07-06-2013, 06:58 AM
So happy detroit didn't resign that mo. I've never seen a guy like that who can post big numbers and have them mean absolutely nothing.

ragee
07-06-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't think it's poor Dallas, it's more like haha Dallas for your epic failure. Has an organization ever failed worse? Tore down a Championship team for nothing.

Wow, such arrogance for a fan of a team who have not accomplished anything yet.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2013, 09:47 AM
The mind of sports fans is a unique thing. Because of the team I follow my opinion on a different team is less valid? Lolz. Bottom line is Dallas made a bad decision and I called it the minute Mark started letting guys walk in free agency. You never risk a bird in the hand in sports, especially on such a big gamble as this. I loved the 2011 Mavs and it's just a shame that he did this. If I was Dirk I would be freaking PISSED right now.

waveycrockett
07-06-2013, 09:55 AM
remember when LTBabyy used to show his face around these parts??? :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::d ance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Raps18-19 Champ
07-06-2013, 09:59 AM
They will get Bynum for the max. Why should you feel sorry?

xxplayerxx23
07-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Dirk is not washed up.. Look At the way he played towards the end.

Jose

Marion
Dirk
Bynum( they will overpay for him)

They need a 2 guard that can shoot and Bynum to stay healthy they would be decent

dustyboys
07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Anybody ever think that it might be a good thing the Mavs didnt get D-will & D-12? They are 2 of the most mentally weak (Semi) superstars in the whole NBA. Neither will ever win a ring even with the teams they currently have. Cuban and Dirk have done so already. And anyone who says we should have kept the 2011 team together obviously doesnt know basketball. Tyson Chandler & Barea are good but not worth what we were going to have to pay them in free agency fresh off of a championship. Jason terry was my man, but he is old and can defend no one. What did they do for their new teams? NOTHING!! With Chandler he cant pay someone who cant score except off alley oops. If Bynum would cut that whack bush he has I prefer him over Howard. Howard is a joke, I would have been mad if we did get him and had to pay his clown azz max money. Free agency Just began! KEEP CALM AND GET A RING CLIPPERSFAN86... LLS

zookman65
07-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Anybody ever think that it might be a good thing the Mavs didnt get D-will & D-12? They are 2 of the most mentally weak (Semi) superstars in the whole NBA. Neither will ever win a ring even with the teams they currently have. Cuban and Dirk have done so already. And anyone who says we should have kept the 2011 team together obviously doesnt know basketball. Tyson Chandler & Barea are good but not worth what we were going to have to pay them in free agency fresh off of a championship. Jason terry was my man, but he is old and can defend no one. What did they do for their new teams? NOTHING!! Maybe But you cant pay someone who cant ****ing score except off alley oops. If Bynum would cut that whack *** bush he has I prefer him over Howard. Howard is a ****ing joke, I would have been mad if we did get him and had to pay his clown *** max money. Free agency Just began! KEEP CALM AND GET A RING CLIPPERSFAN86... LLS

Many are not saying keep the whole team together as you allude to but instead they could have kept a couple of useful pieces such as Barrea (remember how many games we lost last year because of shoddy guard play) and Chandler. Quit calling it overpaying when the price to pay poker is what it is if you want a high caliber defensive force in the middle. Chandler would have made a good piece to either add to or flip. Cuban miscalculated in what is of most value under the new CBA. Obviously dry powder is useless if you cant attract free agents to join an already high caliber team and/or have pieces to flip. If we weren't going to win with the same old guys from 2011 then we could have traded/dumped Dirk also as he apparently isn't a free agent magnet.

dustyboys
07-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Many are not saying keep the whole team together as you allude to but instead they could have kept a couple of useful pieces such as Barrea (remember how many games we lost last year because of shoddy guard play) and Chandler. Quit calling it overpaying when the price to pay poker is what it is if you want a high caliber defensive force in the middle. Chandler would have made a good piece to either add to or flip. Cuban miscalculated in what is of most value under the new CBA. Obviously dry powder is useless if you cant attract free agents to join an already high caliber team and/or have pieces to flip. If we weren't going to win with the same old guys from 2011 then we could have traded/dumped Dirk also as he apparently isn't a free agent magnet.

At least you sound like a Mavs fan lls.. I agree on Chandler but you have to remember that was the first time he played a complete season EVER in his career. I loved Chandler, but not 60 million dollars worth like he asked for and Barea was good but he was a system player and also could not defend. he could flop, but not defend LOL. Just to be clear it was not due to his lack of heart, just height.

NYMetropolitans
07-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Yea, totally.

Have fun with Josh Smith's horrendous contract.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Dallas should trade Dirk to Houston.

AnthonyTyrael
07-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Dallas gambled and unfortunately for them, lost out. Eventually they will bounce back, but its looking like it will be without Dirk on their team. I dont see them recovering and becoming a legit contender again in Dirk's career span. He'll be retired before they contend again. You never know though.

I do think Dallas should've held onto OJ Mayo though. Ive always been a huge fan of his game and i think he's going to be something special in this league one day.

I'm sorry but he messed it up with different teams already. How many chances will he need to finally get there? He'll give you 15 good games each year, besides a lot of average stuff at best in all others.

Korman12
07-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry but he messed it up with different teams already. How many chances will he need to finally get there? He'll give you 15 good games each year, besides a lot of average stuff at best in all others.

I agree, the "He'll be special soon" ship has already sailed.

ThuglifeJ
07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Dirk is not washed up.. Look At the way he played towards the end.

Jose

Marion
Dirk
Bynum( they will overpay for him)

They need a 2 guard that can shoot and Bynum to stay healthy they would be decent

Vince Carter... 41% from 3, excellent defense. They like him as 6th man tho

Bruno
07-06-2013, 08:28 PM
remember when LTBabyy used to show his face around these parts??? :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::d ance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

yeah, and rightfully so. his team racked a ring.

dallas has done something that most have not.

RaiderLakersA's
07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Cuban didn't even try to defend his championship. All for scoring big in free agency...

Which is odd, when you consider it was Cuban that was bemoaning the fact not so long ago that it was teams like the Mavs that had a difficult time attracting the best FAs. I don't claim to know why that is the case, I'm just acknowledging the mysterious phenomenon...and Cuban should have planned accordingly.

RaiderLakersA's
07-06-2013, 09:29 PM

The Celtics is where Dirk should be. Or Chicago.

WhiteSoxGod
07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
The Celtics is where Dirk should be. Or Chicago.

LOL the Celtics? They will be terrible for years to come. Chicago already has too many PFs as it is they can't get rid of. With the Rockets he'd win another championship.

Munkeysuit
07-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Dallas spelled backwards is Sallad and they about to get tossed this season once again.

KingstonHawke
07-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't feel bad for the Mavs at all, just for Dirk. Cuban knows he should've traded Dirk to the Lakers for Howard, and then he might've been able to hold onto Howard in FA and possibly even lure Paul away from the Clips. He just got cocky and thought he could hold on to Dirk too.

Dirk would've loved playing with Pau, Kobe, and his buddy Nash.

c.c.
07-07-2013, 04:37 AM

Its a lot there, have you been? And btw, not everyone thinks Los Angeles is great. I sure don't!

c.c.
07-07-2013, 04:40 AM

Lol I doubt if Cuban deal Dirk to division rival

Bostonjorge
07-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Dallas whould of won back to back titles. Marion with chandler at anchor gave lebron nothing. Dallas bench with barrea and terry were killing it. Cuban gambled and lost everything.