PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Hire Brad Stevens

Procision
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 17s
Danny Ainge hires Brad Stevens to coach the Celtics. Stealth.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press_release/070313-celtics-hire-brad-stevens-head-coach

jkiddvc20
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
All over Twitter. This really came out of nowhere damn

LayBraun
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
wait wut.... -_-

KnickaBocka.44
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Wooooooow

Carey
07-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Tremendous hire by Boston, fits the rebuild but also seems like a guy that will continue to improve and wont be in over his head when it's time for them to compete again.

SugeKnight
07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
This seems brad

Bravo95
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM
dp

Bravo95
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM
"No, no, guys... he's going to stay at Butler FOREVER, DUH!"

Oh.

rocket
07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Damn.

BigBlueCrew
07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
the dope chimed in

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
Brad Stevens! HERE COME THE CELTS! (In 3-4 years after they blow it up and rebuild from scratch, but still.)

hmmm think someone is still bitter?

Gators123
07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Time to trade Rondo?

NYG+Braves
07-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Hopefully he doesnt end up being the scapegoat thrre. Its quite obvious they r gonna be terrible this year. (Poss even tanking for wiggins) i rly hope he doesnt get fired after the forst year. I wanna see this man get a real shot. I wanna see him stick with this team while it rebuilds.

lamzoka
07-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Hopefully he doesnt end up being the scapegoat thrre. Its quite obvious they r gonna be terrible this year. (Poss even tanking for wiggins) i rly hope he doesnt get fired after the forst year. I wanna see this man get a real shot. I wanna see him stick with this team while it rebuilds.

i dont think Celtics get down like that... i remembered when they won like 23 games and still sticked with Doc then won the championship the following year.

Strumpy
07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Sure why not? Was just praying that it wasn't Karl or Del Negro. Why not give him a shot?

lamzoka
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Either Rondo will clash with the coaching stuff and his teammates and ask for a trade or he's gonna have a monster season stat wise. but those stats wont translate to W's

ChitownBears22
07-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Great addition. Glad they went outside of the box of Karl, VDN, ETC.

superkegger
07-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Knee jerk reaction is that I don't like it. I like Stevens as a college coach. NBA is so different. I generally don't like the jump from college to pros in any sport for coaches. Seems like the analytics movement was a big part of the hire, though as Stevens is down with that stuff.

I just wonder if this is an indication that Rondo will be moved. He can be tough to deal with, and I would think especially so for a first time NBA head coach. Will be interesting for sure, Danny Ainge has some balls.

abe_froman
07-03-2013, 06:16 PM
stupid move.when was the last college coach to be a success in the pros? doesnt this remind anyone of the post big 3 era when they hired pitino to rebuild,history repeating itself? really its freaky,like its the 90's all over again lol

ChitownBears22
07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
stupid move.when was the last college coach to be a success in the pros?

Tom Thibodeau
Scott Brooks (ABA)
Greg Popovich

Those are three pretty good ones. I added Brooks because ABA is pretty much a little above NCAA.

kozelkid
07-03-2013, 06:31 PM
stupid move.when was the last college coach to be a success in the pros? doesnt this remind anyone of the post big 3 era when they hired pitino to rebuild,history repeating itself? really its freaky,like its the 90's all over again lol

What's your solution? Hire another retread?

Sure he might fail, but at least he's a young coach with a very impressive resume who hasn't failed yet. There really isn't any current assistant out there that amazes me, so I see no reason not to take a shot.

And the NFL has recently proven that the whole college coaches can't handle the pro setting, is an overstated argument.

Chronz
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Anyone getting Rick Pitino vibes? Back when the Celtics were tanking for Duncan...

ChitownBears22
07-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Sure he might fail, but at least he's a young coach with a very impressive resume who hasn't failed yet. There really isn't any current assistant out there that amazes me, so I see no reason not to take a shot.

And the NFL has recently proven that the whole college coaches can't handle the pro setting, is an overstated argument.

Hopefully the Bears can prove that a Canadian coach can come in and create an offensive machine.

kozelkid
07-03-2013, 06:34 PM
stupid move.when was the last college coach to be a success in the pros?

Tom Thibodeau
Scott Brooks (ABA)
Greg Popovich

Those are three pretty good ones. I added Brooks because ABA is pretty much a little above NCAA.

Brooks is not a good coach. If anything, he has held back a great team. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with the premise of your argument. You won't find a great coach by looking at retreads. Might as well take a chance on a young hot shot in a no-pressure situation given the current state of that team.

nyyfan4life
07-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Love the hire. Brad Stevens is a tremendous basketball coach and he's a very popular name among coaching circles from what I've heard. The guy isn't afraid to incorporate analytics into his coaching and has a good working relationship with all of his players.

69centers
07-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Great hire.

Anyone getting Rick Pitino vibes? Back when the Celtics were tanking for Duncan...

I highly doubt he left his Butler contract (which went all the way to the 2021-22 season) just to tank in his first stint as an NBA coach.

abe_froman
07-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Tom Thibodeau
Scott Brooks (ABA)
Greg Popovich

thibs,brooks and pop's were assistants in the nba for years,decades.not really the same situation.this is jumping straight from college.this is rick pitino part 2

abe_froman
07-03-2013, 06:48 PM

i do:hi5: unfortunately,i think this board is too young or dont know enough about history to remember that trend

rockbottom2010
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
danny ainge keeps on shocking the world

kozelkid
07-03-2013, 06:51 PM

i do:hi5: unfortunately,i think this board is too young or dont know enough about history to remember that trend

Or maybe, and here's a shocker for a lifetime, Stevens and Pitino are two ENTIRELY different people. But let's just ignore that and assume everything will go exactly the same.

LayBraun
07-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Brad Stevens is a great basketball coach but whether he can handle NBA realities remains to be seen.

jp611
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I love this hire... He's big into the analytics and I guarantee that had a lot to do with this hire

He's nothing like Pitino, I don't see how you can even make the comparison other then the fact that they were both college coaches

NYMetros
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
the dope chimed in

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
Brad Stevens! HERE COME THE CELTS! (In 3-4 years after they blow it up and rebuild from scratch, but still.)

hmmm think someone is still bitter?

lolwhat?

Rivera
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM

I had thoughts about that but Stevens doesn't seem to have the personality pitino does and lash out when plans don't go there way

Im very intrigued

Twolves88
07-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Knee jerk reaction is that I don't like it. I like Stevens as a college coach. NBA is so different. I generally don't like the jump from college to pros in any sport for coaches. Seems like the analytics movement was a big part of the hire, though as Stevens is down with that stuff.

I just wonder if this is an indication that Rondo will be moved. He can be tough to deal with, and I would think especially so for a first time NBA head coach. Will be interesting for sure, Danny Ainge has some balls.

This was pretty much my thought as well. I don't see how a coach that is known to be a team motivator will work with some of the vets in the league. I don't see him and Rondo with his ego and attitude issues getting a long very well. To me this seems to spell the trading of Rondo. I don't think I know one pro player besides Heyward that Steven's has coached. It seems like he would be good for a short term rebuild but not great for a vet team over the course of a long season.

leprechaun5
07-03-2013, 07:23 PM
He got 6 year deal .

Steve Bulpett ‏@SteveBHoop
League source says Stevens getting six-year contract with Celtics.

bagwell368
07-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Either Rondo will clash with the coaching stuff and his teammates and ask for a trade or he's gonna have a monster season stat wise. but those stats wont translate to W's

Hey that's funny.... his assists will go down, his points may go up but at what %?

C's need to deal this cancer ASAP.

AYozzy
07-03-2013, 07:28 PM
solid signing by the Celts. will be a great NBA coach. Smart to build him around young players and all the draft picks the Celts have.

Forever35
07-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Nah... Pitino wanted full control of the C's when he came aboard... Pitino was Head Coach, GM, CEO and president of the team... Stevens will just be the head coach...

bagwell368
07-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Nah... Pitino wanted full control of the C's when he came aboard... Pitino was Head Coach, GM, CEO and president of the team... Stevens will just be the head coach...

Pitino the dummkopf took Red's Team President title as part of signing the deal... that was the beginning of the end for that fraud.

superkegger
07-03-2013, 08:53 PM

The problem I have with your NFL/College coaches can handle it argument, is that it really applies to the NFL, not to the NBA. Yes, Pete Carroll has had success, and Schiano in TB has had some degree of turnaround for them, and Chip Kelly very well be good for the Eagles. But with that said the NFL and College game in football are trending toward each-other so much more than basketball is. You see more and more now, NFL teams attempting to run things only college teams would run, and really, you see more college programs running pro style systems. Either which way, the two games are really starting to resemble each other more and more.

In basketball, there is still a large gap. College is so much slower with so much more coach control over each possession. The NBA is way more iso heavy with star power and faster play. (which on a quick tangent: I hate it when I'm at the bar, watching an NBA game and some old guy says he hates the NBA cause they don't play defense, thats why he watches college ball. College ball doesn't have more or better defense. They just play so much slower, and under so much more control from the head coach that it appears they play defense harder. Plus, in the NBA you have supremely talented players who are amazing on offense, and no matter how great your defense, great offense beats great defense. So old man at the bar, go **** yourself, cause college basketball is slow, boring and borderline unwatchable if its not tournament time).

But anyway, I can't think of the last college coach who jumped straight from college to the pros and was successful. I'm not saying Brad Stevens can't win. I mean he won't this coming year, because he won't have the talent to. I'm just saying, I personally believe that other than a few college programs, the NBA and NCAA game are about as far apart as I think they've ever been. (Which another quick tangent, is why I think you can have guys like Damian Lillard, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard among other come "out of nowhere" and be stars in the NBA, because sometimes their true ability is masked by the slow plodding nature of the college game)

Yeah a bit, especially with this class coming of Wiggins, Parker and company. I think it's slightly different in the fact that Stevens is only the coach, and has no power beyond that, but I think the C's brass is going to be just fine with Stevens cutting his teeth on a loser, getting his reps in. Then, as they start to put young talent on the roster, he'll be able to develop it.

Love the hire. Brad Stevens is a tremendous basketball coach and he's a very popular name among coaching circles from what I've heard. The guy isn't afraid to incorporate analytics into his coaching and has a good working relationship with all of his players.

I agree he's been nothing but a great coach to this point. And personally I do like that he incorporates the advanced analytics into what he coaches. That was apparently a big part of why he was hired. So it's good that he'll have the backing from management on the analytics part of it. I still just wonder if he'll be able to be as personable/have that great working relation ship with players when they aren't always his guys. I mean as a college coach, he recruited the players he wanted. Now, he's going to have to coach some guys that quite frankly he may not want. Not saying he can't, not saying he'll fail, just saying it's a different ball game when you're not in complete control of everything and everybody knows it, to being just the head coach, and guys can go over your head to someone else.

This was pretty much my thought as well. I don't see how a coach that is known to be a team motivator will work with some of the vets in the league. I don't see him and Rondo with his ego and attitude issues getting a long very well. To me this seems to spell the trading of Rondo. I don't think I know one pro player besides Heyward that Steven's has coached. It seems like he would be good for a short term rebuild but not great for a vet team over the course of a long season.

I don't know if Stevens will be a good coach long term or not. I just feel like with this hire, they have to completely bottom out. They just hired a completely unproven guy, and they have to build in all the excuses for him. Not that anyone expects a winning season from them, but Danny Ainge knows exactly what the 2014 draft is, and you have to try to get a top 5 pick. Rondo aint about to just not play hard. When he comes back, dude's going hard, and balling, cause that's what he does. Maybe he does it a bit harder on national television, but none the less, if he doesn't get traded, he's still got something to prove. There's no way I can believe he doesn't see what's happening with the C's as a challenge. "oh you traded KG and PP, well **** you, I've been the best player on this team for like at least 4 years, we'll win even without them" or some **** like that.

He's got to be on the way out. Sooner or later, he has a beyond reasonable contract, and is a franchise or near franchise player. He could bring a haul of assets. they may wait until he can actually play, to showcase that he can play before they trade him, or maybe not, but I would personally be shocked were he a Celtic come the trade deadline.

ManningToTyree
07-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I think this a great hire for the Cs

Twolves88
07-04-2013, 01:44 AM
I'll go on record to say I'm not real sure he will last the six year length of his contract. I mean he was sucessful in a sense to bring Butler out of nowhere to be a contender in the NCAA tournament. However, he hasn't really truely won anything even at the college level. His offense was based mostly on Iso's and maximum effort from his team in rebounding after misses. I felt like it was too many iso's not enough set plays. His defense was always great, but zones ect are completely different at the NBA level. I just don't see him getting the same production and effort out of his team during an entire 82 game season. I mean what happens if his team loses a few in a row? It's much harder to get a team amped up in the middle of a 5 or 10 game losing streak. All teams have low points in the season. I expect that within his first few years they are going to have a TON of low points.

It will be VERY intresting to see who he actually hires for his staff. If he can surround himself with the right guys to hide his offensive flaws and work with players then I would give him a chance.

I just do not see him as the next great coach. Maybe I'm in the minority?

Lab Rat Robby
07-04-2013, 02:16 AM
i love stevens. credit to ainge for pulling a rabbit out of a hat. i'm confident this move saved the celts from a long and sad lottery period.

Lake_Show2416
07-04-2013, 02:25 AM
great hire

bagwell368
07-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Rondo aint about to just not play hard. When he comes back, dude's going hard, and balling, cause that's what he does. Maybe he does it a bit harder on national television, but none the less, if he doesn't get traded, he's still got something to prove. There's no way I can believe he doesn't see what's happening with the C's as a challenge. "oh you traded KG and PP, well **** you, I've been the best player on this team for like at least 4 years, we'll win even without them" or some **** like that.

Rondo is a childish distraction. He doesn't play hard every game (check out his 15 game vacation when Perk got dealt). Rondo was tied for best player on the team in 2009-10, outside of that he has not been.

Ainge and Doc are both quoted as saying he is immature, and uncoachable. Why feed your baby faced GM that is 36 years old and with a new six year deal to that Coach killer?

bagwell368
07-04-2013, 06:25 AM
i love stevens. credit to ainge for pulling a rabbit out of a hat. i'm confident this move saved the celts from a long and sad lottery period.

As long as it takes less time to win banner than 1986-1987 to 2006-2007.

MrfadeawayJB
07-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I think he's a good coach but seriously doubt rondo will respect him. Rondos on his way out IMO

Aust
07-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Nice hire. Wish the Lakers had him lol Pringles..... :sigh:

Hawkeye15
07-04-2013, 02:53 PM

my thoughts exactly.The NBA ran Pitino back to the NCAA's with his tail between his legs, while the Celtics used him as a scapegoat for a tank job.

Celticsfan2007
07-04-2013, 03:44 PM
my thoughts exactly.The NBA ran Pitino back to the NCAA's with his tail between his legs, while the Celtics used him as a scapegoat for a tank job.

Pitino also had entire control of the organization, including the final say on all personnel moves. The two coaches circumstances are hardly similar.

Vinylman
07-04-2013, 04:05 PM
meh... this hire is more about Ainge having a scapegoat in the long run so he can save himself...

the Celtics were gifted KG by a former celtic... Ainge has never really done anything as a GM... nor should anyone expect anything different moving forward...

If Ainge knew what he was doing he would have traded both Pierce and KG two years ago rather than waiting and getting the crap he is gonna get from Brooklyn...

as for tanking... this is the east we are talking about... boston could probably still be a playoff contender for the #8 spot

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Ya Pitino wasn't really a terrible coach. It was his executive moves that ended up ****ing him over.

Tony_Starks
07-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Paul Pierce isn't walking through that door....Ray Allen isn't walking through that door.

Prepare for another drought.