PDA

View Full Version : Spurs done after Timmy D/Pop era? Maybe not.

TheNumber37
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
With the news that Manu has agreed to terms with the Spurs for another 2 seasons, it got me thinking...

Can you really see Timmy D going on beyond 2 more seasons?
And when Timmy retires, Pop retires. Pop is currently at 905 wins. That would take 2 years of 50 win basketball to get him to 1,000... It's all coming together.

It seems like they plan to go out as a group after the 2015 season. With the exception of Splitter's 10-11 mil on the books they only hold qualifying offers to Kawhi and Corey Joseph which total about 7.5 mil if those players accept.

That leaves them with about 50 plus mil in cap space to bring back their own guys, Parker, Green and Neal if they wish. And make a run at the 2015 class of free agents (I see them going after Aldridge).

The question is, who is gonna coach them?
My vote is for Patrick Ewing! Ha, all jokes aside. Who can do it? Sloan would be 73.

kdspurman
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think Pop will be leaving when Tim does. Pop simply loves coaching. He's said it jokingly, but I really think he'll stick around. I remember reading somewhere how much he enjoys coaching Leonard too. Especially with Coach Bud going to Atlanta, (who was his right hand man all those years) I don't see him calling it quits just yet.

I juts put it in another thread, but it's just amazing the way they run that team. They'll be in perfect position to continue to rebuild their team. They've been able to rebuild this team while keeping TD,TP & Manu together, and stay competitive which is something that a lot of teams haven't been able to do.

Best run team in the game... It won't be the same post Timmy/Manu by any means. But I'm confident they'll put together a team that can compete.

True Sports Fan
07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I think Pop would still coaching, with Leonard on the Spurs. But it's gonna be a sad day in Basketball when Duncan finally hangs up the shoes.

waveycrockett
07-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I would be more worried about Parker and Manu then TD at this point. You cant teach size and his fundamentals are still impeccable. As long as they save his legs for April TD will still be a top-5 Big Man next season. Parker and Manu are another story. They broke down and will have a tough team beating guys like LeBron and Wade off the dribble with all that mileage on those legs.

TRF929
07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Pop won't leave his other child in Parker, his first 2 kids will be retiring while his last will still be on the team striving for that sixth Spurs champ banner.

kdspurman
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
I would be more worried about Parker and Manu then TD at this point. You cant teach size and his fundamentals are still impeccable. As long as they save his legs for April TD will still be a top-5 Big Man next season. Parker and Manu are another story. They broke down and will have a tough team beating guys like LeBron and Wade off the dribble with all that mileage on those legs.

Manu can't be relied on or depended on as heavily these days, and he's not really. Leonard and Green to a lesser extent are probably asked to do more on a nightly basis. Anything Manu can give is a +, cause he is still capable of having a "Manu" type game, just not something that is really depended on like previous years.

Parker just wasn't the same after the hamstring thing though. I mean he wasn't having the greatest series anyway, but his explosiveness just wasn't there anymore, I think it definitely impacted him physically & mentally.

Bruno
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Pop sticking around after Duncan will be huge for the franchise. He'll be the guy who demands respect that winners will want to go play for. he'll be the key in landing important free agents immediately after the duncan era. i don't know how long it will take them to get back on track if pop retires with duncan.

GunFactor187
07-03-2013, 01:09 PM
1. Duncan retires
2. Pop retires
3. Week after Duncan retires he's named the head coach of the Spurs.

waveycrockett
07-03-2013, 01:15 PM
1. Duncan retires
2. Pop retires
3. Week after Duncan retires he's named the head coach of the Spurs.

I can see it only if it's not a complete rebuild. If it is I cant see Duncan coaching a crappy team. Maybe waits a few years until they get good.

Jarvo
07-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Pop will keep coaching after Duncan is gone, But it will be a very sad day seeing him and Manu gone :(