PDA

View Full Version : Stark contrast between NBA & NFL (fans and their players)

Chronz
07-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Their players commit crimes, ours do this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odeVoI1qXCU

Yes its a generality but the numbers dont lie either. Yet for some reason, I get the feeling NFL fans are more forgiving when it comes to their heroes (See Vick) but a guy like LeBron can make a show that donates millions to charity and hes vilified to this day by some.

Are we just haters cuz honestly, the NBA hasn't been this squeaky clean in awhile I think. Seems like we got more high character guys than ever before.

I have a feeling its because Football is so much more physical and perceived as manlier, I dont know how or why that plays a role but I got some theories....

RLundi
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
The NFL is by far the most popular sport in America. Forgiveness will be widespread. The NBA and MLB have much shorter leashes because they aren't as enormous a power as football in America is.

RLundi
07-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Also, it's easy to cherry pick but every sport has it bad guys. There are about 400 players in the NBA? Something like that. There's close to 1,500 players in the NFL, so the probability that there'd be more total criminals/ bad guys is a little higher.

hugepatsfan
07-02-2013, 02:57 PM
People think lower of NBA players. Let's just call it like it is. People associate it with ghettos and think of the players as thugs. That's why Stern implemented that dress code years back. Encourage players to appear professional to ditch the perception that it's a bunch of thugs from the hood on the court.

ThunderousDemon
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
I'd probably watch Football if there were an LA Team.

Baseball and Basketball for me.

abe_froman
07-02-2013, 03:12 PM
you have a mistake in you assessment. lebron was never a hero to the people who hate him(except cle fans,but thats understandable),its not anything he did its just we never really liked him,and there are nfl fans who hate players who they find off putting but for no real reason(see teebow)

your also wrong about us not being forgiving of players committing crimes.kobe(probably)raped someone and we forgave him,we dont hate him anymore for it

lamzoka
07-02-2013, 03:24 PM
wtf is up with those youtube comments?

BigCityofDreams
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
People think lower of NBA players. Let's just call it like it is. People associate it with ghettos and think of the players as thugs. That's why Stern implemented that dress code years back. Encourage players to appear professional to ditch the perception that it's a bunch of thugs from the hood on the court.

And even with the dress code being implemented they are still viewed as gangsters. I have heard ppl say they don't look at the NBA because the players are flashy and everyone has tattoos/are thugs. Yes there was a period when the NBA had that image but they are so far removed from that it's not even funny. Guys like Iverson, Marbury, and Artest are no longer the face of the league.

Aust
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Less players on an NBA team. The sport is more about the individual than the team, which is the opposite when it comes to football. When you focus more on the individual you are going to have more haters and the haters will be worse. The NFL forum is WAY better than this forum due to the nature of the two sports.

BigBlueCrew
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I dont know why you bothered posting this youtube video.

Its what goes on between hash marks that matters to most folks.

Chronz
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Also, it's easy to cherry pick but every sport has it bad guys. There are about 400 players in the NBA? Something like that. There's close to 1,500 players in the NFL, so the probability that there'd be more total criminals/ bad guys is a little higher.

I admit to generalizing it because I dont know the numbers specifically, but it was a topic Ive heard discussed on the radio and according to Cowherd, the ratio is still inexplicably higher.

Chronz
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
you have a mistake in you assessment. lebron was never a hero to the people who hate him(except cle fans,but thats understandable),its not anything he did its just we never really liked him,
I dont think this is accurate, I remember hearing alot about his Q score or whatever it was, he went from a pretty well liked athlete to being persona non grata in an instant . Maybe I overstate the legitimacy/importance of that tho. And its prolly recovered nicely since then, they do say winning cures all ills.

and there are nfl fans who hate players who they find off putting but for no real reason(see teebow)
Arent they the minority tho?? I dont follow the fooseball much anymore but I heard that the only reason Tebow has a job is because of his immense popularity.

your also wrong about us not being forgiving of players committing crimes.kobe(probably)raped someone and we forgave him,we dont hate him anymore for it
Yeah thats been out of the spotlight for so long, interesting point.

Chronz
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
wtf is up with those youtube comments?
They are in Europe somewhere, my guess would be Greece. The uploader was of that area.

BTW, I like the chemistry DJ and Blake have on that game of toss.

abe_froman
07-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I dont think this is accurate, I remember hearing alot about his Q score or whatever it was, he went from a pretty well liked athlete to being persona non grata in an instant . Maybe I overstate the legitimacy/importance of that tho. And its prolly recovered nicely since then, they do say winning cures all ills.
i'd say he's as well liked as he has ever been,as a fan your just going to have to accept there will be a large contingent of those that dont like him.its like that with every athlete ,its not just lebron only(derrick rose has large amount of hate,kobe,howard,ai,in other sports jeter always had them,arod,bonds(even before the steroid revelations),farve,moss,i knew many who hated tom brady).so its across all sports fanbases.it just some guys are going to get hate,usually the more popular and hyped an athlete gets the larger the backlash will be.

and threads like this wont help anyone like him any more either

Arent they the minority tho?? I dont follow the fooseball much anymore but I heard that the only reason Tebow has a job is because of his immense popularity.

he has a loyal fanbase but majority hate him(say like lebron)maybe 50/50

Yeah thats been out of the spotlight for so long, interesting point.
he was rehabbed further back though

ChicagoJ
07-02-2013, 05:05 PM
The nba is about star players. Like it or hate it, the central focus will be the stars, whereas the nfl is much more focused on a variety of players from different levels.