PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Rangers Development Camp

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Anyone following the prospects camp? So many new names to follow.

Prospect Camp Day 1: McIlrath looks ahead

The Rangers opened their five-day prospect camp this morning at the Madison Square Garden Training Center with 39 players on the camp roster. That includes former first-round defensemen Dylan McIlrath and Brady Skjei (who is due in camp on Tuesday) but does not include J.T. Miller, who played 26 games with the Rangers last season or Europeans Jesper Fast, Oscar Lindberg and Calle Andersson, all due for Rangers training camp in September.

Marek Hrivik, recovering from a concussion-plagued AHL season, was on the ice and should be a roster candidate in training camp.

The Rangers’ five picks from Sunday’s draft, third-round forwards Adam Tambellini, Pavel Buchnevich and Anthony Duclair, fourth-round defenseman Ryan Graves and sixth-round goalie Mackenzie Skapski are all in camp.

Hartford (AHL) coaches Ken Gernander, Jeff Beukeboom and Pat Boller are directing the drills. Day 1 was devoted to on- and off-ice testing. On the ice, the players were put through speed and endurance skating drills. There will be daily scrimmages the next four days.

New coach Alain Vigneault is not due back in New York until later this week, probably Thursday, after being at the draft, and presumed new assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson also was not in the building. Goalie coach Benoit Allaire, the lone holdover from John Tortorella’s staff, was observing.

Buchnevich and Sergey Tolchinsky were among the standout skaters. Buchnevich has a free and easy stride reminiscent of former Ranger and fellow Russian Artem Anisimov. Duclair showed why he is considered one of the fastest skaters in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. McIlrath and Boo Nieves also stood out for their skating ability.

The complete roster: Conor Allen, J.T. Barnett, Brock Beukeboom, Patrick Brown, Pavel Buchnevich, Charlie Dodero, Teddy Doherty, Troy Donnay, Anthony Duclair, Ben Fanelli, Ryan Faragher, Steven Fogarty, Alex Gogolev, Ryan Graves, Marek Hrivik, Tommy Hughes, Kyle Jean, Mike Kantor, Alex Krushelynski, Eric Levine, Jeff Malcolm, Dylan McIlrath, Vojtech Mozik, Josh Nicholls, Boo Nieves, Sam Noreau, Eric Robinson, Carter Rowney, Adam Schmidt, Steven Shipley, Mackenzie Skapski, Brady Skjei, Thomas Spelling, Michael St. Croix, Kyle Stephan, Adam Tambellini, Christian Thomas, Sergey Tolchinsky, Andrew Yogan.

McIlrath, who suffered a dislocated kneecap in a collision with Jean at last year’s prospect camp, said while he is still not 100 percent, he expects to be back to full strength in time for training camp.

“The knee’s good,” McIlrath said. “I’ve been back home in Winnipeg for training and rehab the last four weeks. There have been no setbacks and everything has been strengthened and is better. There are no problems and everything’s doing well.

“I think I have a legitimate shot,” McIlrath added when asked about making the Rangers out of training camp. “I’m going to work my hardest. The knee is not an excuse anymore. It’s over and done with. Hopefully, by camp, I’m 100 percent and I know I’ll be ready so I feel I have a good shot. I still feel it. Typically, it takes a bit over a year to fully go away with a knee injury like that. It’s definitely enough where I can get stronger and better. Structurally, it’s 100 percent. They wouldn’t have cleared me to play (otherwise). I played with pain the whole year.”http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/prospect_camp_day_1_mcilrath_looks_ahead/

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Buchnevich and Sergey Tolchinsky were among the standout skaters. Buchnevich has a free and easy stride reminiscent of former Ranger and fellow Russian Artem Anisimov. Duclair showed why he is considered one of the fastest skaters in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. McIlrath and Boo Nieves also stood out for their skating ability.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

@AGrossRecord:

Dylan McIlrath just slammed Marek Hrivik into backboards. McIlrath got good leverage on check. Hrivik lifted off ice.

Rangers in 7
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
video of todays scrimmage will be posted later as well, i will post the link when its up

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
video of todays scrimmage will be posted later as well, i will post the link when its up

That is good. I like hearing about some of the guys skating and stickhandling. I hope we sign that smaller guy (Sergey Tolchinsky) that is a stick handling expert. :)

Rangers in 7
07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
****************.com has the highlights as do rangers.nhl.com
unfortunately the whole scrimmage was not posted yet

Rangers in 7
07-03-2013, 12:05 PM
oo and the scrimmages go on all week

SLY WILLIAMS
07-03-2013, 12:09 PM
****************.com has the highlights as do rangers.nhl.com
unfortunately the whole scrimmage was not posted yet

The way they video these scrimmages makes guys look slower than they are. Sometimes hard to tell who was who. Duclair looked good. Nice feet and hands as Finger mentioned. Nice goal by Krush also. I wonder if his dad played for the Bruins/Oilers.

Rangers in 7
07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
The way they video these scrimmages makes guys look slower than they are. Sometimes hard to tell who was who. Duclair looked good. Nice feet and hands as Finger mentioned. Nice goal by Krush also. I wonder if his dad played for the Bruins/Oilers.

yea they always video it from the corner because the rink doesnt have any other places for a camera....ive been there and there is not really a second level for filming purposes....the only balcony is in the corner to the right of the camera and its for the coaches and such

SLY WILLIAMS
07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Some observations: Kyle Jean earned himself a spot in the organization last summer with his play at the prospect camp and he scored White’s first goal, coming out of the left corner with the puck, skating to the crese and lifting a backhander…Jean’s other moment from last summer came when Dylan McIlrath dislocated his kneecap trying to deliver a high hit on Jean. Today, the two had a strong battle in front of the net. McIlrath drove Jean hard into the boards, knocking him down head first. Jean got up and skated back to the crease there the two resumed jostling for position. But McIlrath did turn to Jean as he was skating back into the play to ask him if he were OK. Then, McIlrath gave him a stick whack and drove him into the boards again…Third-round pick Anthony Duclair continues to stand out. Today, he set up in the right corner and created a scoring chance with strong on-ice vision, finding a stick in the slot…Michael St. Croix, one of the organization’s top-rated forward prospects, displayed a lightning-quick wrist shot…Boo Nieves knocked Ryan Graves off the puck behind the crease, then found Gogolov open in the slot from behind the net…Sergey Tolchinsky continues to display strong skating ability, at one point stickhandling all the way down ice through defenders. http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/prospect_camp_day_3_sather_and_samuelsson/

redwhiteandblue
07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I feel good about the organizations prospect pool. You can never be worried with GC at the helm, but from where this development system has come from ten years ago its fantastic. These are the kind of things that make your a perrenial powerhouse in this league.

Case and point the Chicago Blackhawks. Even after the RFA contracts blunder they still were able to maintain an elite level of excellence all the way up until winning their second cup in 5 years.

redwhiteandblue
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Saint is a smaller guy, correct? I thought I heard that and if so you have to think with Hags and Zucc on the roster already that the team decided Saint would be the better of the two (Christian Thomas) and that helped open way for a Kristo trade.

Of course If I'm mislead that could be a lot reading into nothing.

Rangers in 7
07-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Saint is a smaller guy, correct? I thought I heard that and if so you have to think with Hags and Zucc on the roster already that the team decided Saint would be the better of the two (Christian Thomas) and that helped open way for a Kristo trade.

Of course If I'm mislead that could be a lot reading into nothing.

yes you are correct he is a smaller prospect, which made thomas expandable imo

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Patrick Kearns tells us what he saw on Thursday as he attended the Prospects Camp.

The below was written by Patrick Kearns from the Fourth Period. Enjoy!

Watching a prospect development camp is similar to watching a gaggle of geese fight over a bread crumb. The lack of form as they climb over each other, swatting at the puck without set plays, or a familiarity with one-another makes it incredibly difficult to stand out and all the more impressive if you do. On Thursday in Westchester, a few New York Ranger prospects were able to stand out.

The first was newly drafted third-round pick Anthony Duclair. The Quebec Remparts forward showed a few flashes of skill in his time on the ice, but he was most noticeable with his feet. While a lot of guys skated hard, none of them skated like Duclair. His feet were constantly moving, as he furiously fore checked. He was picking spots and skating to them and skating hard.

A lot of time, young athletes struggle with their skating decisions. It may not seem like a lot, but when Chris Kreider struggled for the New York Rangers, it was partly because of decision making with his feet. It's important to note a player's path to the play, because if they aren't making good decisions with their feet, they will be caught out of position, or simply blown by.

Duclair will certainly need a lot of seasoning both in the QMJHL and likely in the AHL, but he is a prospect that displayed a unique talent with his feet. The rest of his game just needs to follow suit.

He mentioned after the training session that he hopes to bring a lot of speed and energy to teams he plays for. He also added that he plans to bring offense wherever he goes, and tries to focus on that aspect of the game.

Dylan McIlrath, who started his career at the distinct disadvantage of not being Cam Fowler, showed that he is not far away from competing for a spot in the New York Rangers top-six. His skating will never be elite, and it showed at camp. A few times, some of the speedier players had an angle on him, and blew past him.

What he did show however, was a vision that has not been talked about. He was decisive with the puck, something not a lot of young defenseman can say. Young defenseman fall into the trap of making the quick play too often. Whether it be ringing it back around behind the night, or a weak chip out. It's not a bad thing by any means, it's just safe.

McIlrath moved the puck with conviction. He picked his spots, he made tape-to-tape passes and he made them quickly.

He is also huge.

Pavel Buchnevich was considered a wildcard when the Rangers drafted him solely because not too many people have seen him play. With only 12 KHL games under his belt according to Elite Prospects, there is not much of a sample size for teams to look at.

While it was likely lazily written that he is a lazy player and doesn't have a "high compete level," he showed nothing to suggest that. Case in point: he was in New Jersey for the draft and came to prospect camp. Sure there are concerns, but that alone should show detractors how committed interested he is in playing in the NHL.

Buchenvich skated circles like he had the puck on a string. He used his frame to protect himself and the puck, and it seemed that the puck followed him like a loyal, well-trained puppy.

He also dazzled with some shootout moves.

Among the players management was probably hoping would make an impression but did very little to distinguish themselves was Michael St. Croix. Perhaps on other days he displayed that skill he showed in the WHL, but on Thursday he was very quiet on the ice.

He skated well enough, but he just blended into the crowd of players.

It's clearly difficult to tell how good a player is going to be from a prospect camp, especially when a lot of the players that are competing are never going to be NHL caliber players. It is however a good opportunity for players to show management why they should get a full training camp invite. http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2013/7/8/4502168/an-inside-look-at-this-summers-prospects-camp

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
im interested to see if we offer tolchinsky a contract, liked what i saw from him

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 01:40 PM
im interested to see if we offer tolchinsky a contract, liked what i saw from him

Did you see him play or going by what you have read. I think he is the small guy. I often root for smaller guys (Although I'm one of Dylan's biggest fans) so I would like us to sign him as well. :)

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
i watched all the videos and read up from all the beat writers that were present at the camp, kids got a great set of hands and skates very well

SLY WILLIAMS
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM
i watched all the videos and read up from all the beat writers that were present at the camp, kids got a great set of hands and skates very well

I'm all for us giving the kid a chance. I liked what I read as well. :)

Rangers in 7
07-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm all for us giving the kid a chance. I liked what I read as well. :)

hes definitely an intriguing prospect to say the least, it wouldnt hurt one bit giving the kid an AHL contract and sending him back to the Q to play a bit more, dont know if he has any more years of eligibility left, but if not let him play in the AHL and see what hes got