PDA

View Full Version : NBA To Allow Time Warner Cable To Be Part Of Lakers' Pitch To Dwight

phlp_bj
07-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Time Warner Cable is having discussions with Dwight Howard being given his own show if he re-signs with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The NBA has no issue with Time Warner Cable being involving in the Lakers' pitch, but no extra compensation can be promised, according to a league source.

Time Warner is looking for additional content as part of their monster deal with the Lakers.

"They could simply be presenting ideas about how they plan to cover Howard and the Lakers in the future," said the source. "That's allowed"

https://twitter.com/mcten

Mods can move this elsewhere that they seem fit if necessary. Thought it was interesting. I've never seen a T.V show being offered as part of a team going after free agents

lamzoka
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Watch as soon as Dwight sign, Stern will block it...
He will say something like its against the CBA

Mr_Jones
07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow. That's ridiculous.

DerekRE_3
07-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Time Warner Cable sucks though.

ThunderousDemon
07-01-2013, 05:03 PM
:smoking:

[SPOILER TAG]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igi1xClurcI[/SPOILER TAG]

lakerboy
07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
$$$$$$$$$

rocket
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
what

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
The Lakers are telling Addidas to tell Dwight if he stays in L.A They will give him an additional $25 million. The Lakers will pay Addidas under the table with promises of future deals with the Laker.

They are also using Tine Warner Cable as well as their other connections in big industries to persuade Dwight. I thought this was illegal.

Rockice_8
07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
The Lakers are telling Addidas to tell Dwight if he stays in L.A They will give him an additional $25 million. The Lakers will pay Addidas under the table with promises of future deals with the Laker.

They are also using Tine Warner Cable as well as their other connections in big industries to persuade Dwight. I thought this was illegal.

I'm not sure but it sure sounds like it.

sunsfan88
07-01-2013, 05:32 PM
So Dwight can either go to Houston to have the best opportunity to compete for a ring or he can stay with the Lakers and have his own show....choices, choices....

superwill
07-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Don't forget the Dwight"superman" Howard statue outside of staples

OceanSpray
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Howard is not signing with the LAL.

1) He never wanted to be in LAL.
2) He's a sidekick for Kobe.
3) Nash/Gasol are old as hell.
4) Kobe is injured. He might not be 100% at all.
5) How can you turn away from the Rockets? Great location, a very decent team in Harden/Parsons.

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Now that is being desperate haha but hey gotta do what you gotta do, turning down a fifth year AND 25 mil from Adidas and your own show....yea Howard is a Laker for life

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 05:37 PM
I never talk trash about another team but if this is all true, Lakers look pretty pathetic right now.

sixer04fan
07-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Lakers are desperate. But hey, if it's allowed and if it works for them, then it's worth it.

ManRam
07-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Time Warner Cable sucks though.

you've never had comcast i'm assuming...

I have no idea if this is unprecedented, legal, or whatever. So I have nothing to say. I guess the league is OK with it so as am I. The Lakers are doing the right thing though by doing anything and everything they can here to keep him

RLundi
07-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Reeks of desperation.

What happened to the proud Lakers refusing to beg?

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Lol at people trolling the Lakers, yes if Dwight re-signs, the Lakers will have trouble getting back on top, but people thinking the rockets could be a better place for him are delusional, a team with dwight-harden-lin-parsons with no bench is supposed to become an elite team???

Loool unless dwight is magically in a thunder, spurs or grizzlies uniform, you guys can keep dreaming.

sunsfan88
07-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I never talk trash about another team but if this is all true, Lakers look pretty pathetic right now.

Lol I know. Lakers have a storied franchise and rings and anything but it looks like their getting on their knees for Dwight to come back.

They have 17 titles...and their the LAKERS. They shouldn't have to get on their knees for a clown like Dwight imo

DerekRE_3
07-01-2013, 05:48 PM
you've never had comcast i'm assuming...

I have no idea if this is unprecedented, legal, or whatever. So I have nothing to say. I guess the league is OK with it so as am I. The Lakers are doing the right thing though by doing anything and everything they can here to keep him

Unfortunately I've had both.

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Lol at people trolling the Lakers, yes if Dwight re-signs, the Lakers will have trouble getting back on top, but people thinking the rockets could be a better place for him are delusional, a team with dwight-harden-lin-parsons with no bench is supposed to become an elite team???

Loool unless dwight is magically in a thunder, spurs or grizzlies uniform, you guys can keep dreaming.

All a person knows is the present, and in the present the Rockets are a much much better place to go basketball wise.Get off that Lakers high horse and accept reality.

Btw they will have a bench of Beverly,Dmo,Smith,Asik if he isn't traded, talking to brewer and dunleavy, Delfino prolblably for the min alone with other vet min contracts for vets that want to compete.

RLundi
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Who's trolling the Lakers? Are you trolling the Rockets? Houston with Dwight would be substantially better, like the Lakers should have been this year.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
All a person knows is the present, and in the present the Rockets are a much much better place to go basketball wise.Get off that Lakers high horse and accept reality.

Btw they will have a bench of Beverly,Dmo,Smith,Asik if he isn't traded, talking to brewer and dunleavy, Delfino prolblably for the min alone with other vet min contracts for vets that want to compete.

In the present like you said a struggling Lakers team still found a way to finish ahead of houston.

And please read my post, I didn't say the Lakers will be elite, but I said houston will definitely not.

Your bench is trash just as ours, the difference between us is that I admit it and you don't.

I repeat, unless okc, SA, memphis and maybe GS land him (which is unlikely) dwight would jump from a middle team to another, face it.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Who's trolling the Lakers? Are you trolling the Rockets? Houston with Dwight would be substantially better, like the Lakers should have been this year.

Keyword in your post: should.

Aust
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
lol the league shouldn't allow something like this.

Dade County
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM

Howard needs to open his eyes, all he has to do is just show a little interest in OKC, they can move pieces to sign him.

And all this money being thrown at him, he needs to pick whats more important to him; the MONEY (knowing he will not truly contain for a championship for at least 2 - 3yrs), or signing with a team that gives you a real shot at winning a ring or two (OKC... Clippers with Cp3 & Blake... Houston with Cp3, Harden, & Howard (if Cp3 wasn't re-signing)... Bulls with a healthy rose and an all star PF or Wing player... HEAT... Nets) ... Yes I know Howard really can't get on the Nets right now and the HEAT would have to trade Bosh & fillers.

Dade County
07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
double post...

RLundi
07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Keyword in your post: should.

Glad we're on the same page.

3 different coaches -- the final one ill-suited for big men -- an older superstar refusing to concede, and an overall broken system in general all contributed to a tumultuous season.

I wonder if lightning can strike twice.

abe_froman
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
i dont think this should be allowed,horrible of the nba

RLundi
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
The Lakers massively underachieved last year. Anyone thinking next year's Rockets will be directly comparable to last year's Lakers is either spiteful, in denial, or bitter.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Howard needs to open his eyes, all he has to do is just show a little interest in OKC, they can move pieces to sign him.

And all this money being thrown at him, he needs to pick whats more important to him; the MONEY (knowing he will not truly contain for a championship for at least 2 - 3yrs), or signing with a team that gives you a real shot at winning a ring or two (OKC... Clippers with Cp3 & Blake... Houston with Cp3, Harden, & Howard... Bulls with a healthy rose and an all star PF or Wing player... HEAT... Nets) ... Yes I know Howard really can't get on the Nets right now and the HEAT would have to trade Bosh & fillers.

Agree.
I didn't mention the Heat, cause I think the 3 amigos will go at it together again.

DRose7
07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Harden is overrated ? Dudes an allstar at best. Harden/ Dwight is hardly a scary sight, and probably would be lucky making it out of the 2nd rd. Dirk/Dwight now thats scary, even its for a 2-3 year window, if dude wants to win now thats his best option, cause rockets still aint touching Miami with that squad

mdm692
07-01-2013, 06:10 PM
The mighty Lakers are BEGGING the diva that is Dwight Howard. This is priceless.

Jtirado16
07-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Another great thing the Lakers have to offer. If he leaves to Houston he will not win with that roster.

Eventually I think he decides to stay with the Lakers cause he isn't a complete idiot

mdm692
07-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Harden is overrated ? Dudes an allstar at best. Harden/ Dwight is hardly a scary sight, and probably would be lucky making it out of the 2nd rd. Dirk/Dwight now thats scary, even its for a 2-3 year window, if dude wants to win now thats his best option, cause rockets still aint touching Miami with that squad

Thing is they can sign Dwight and a 2nd star like Dwight requested.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Glad we're on the same page.

3 different coaches -- the final one ill-suited for big men -- an older superstar refusing to concede, and an overall broken system in general all contributed to a tumultuous season.

I wonder if lightning can strike twice.

3 coaches? Lol bernie coached 5 games, come on, be serious.

I agree for the current coach.

Once again houston has just harden and parsons as great players, lin is trash, the bench is too.

Tell me what makes houston so competitive, please I'm curious.

justinnum1
07-01-2013, 06:13 PM
very desperate of the lakers. and LOL at any franchise that wants to build around dwight

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Another great thing the Lakers have to offer. If he leaves to Houston he will not win with that roster.

Eventually I think he decides to stay with the Lakers cause he isn't a complete idiot

Thanks there is some rational people here.

gangis2169
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Reeks of desperation.

What happened to the proud Lakers refusing to beg?

I'd be desperate too if my team was 159 years old. It is what it is. Lakers will always be the Lakers they'll get another 1 or 2 huge free agents in 2014 so I'm not worried.

gangis2169
07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
very desperate of the lakers. and LOL at any franchise that wants to build around dwight

Say's the bandwagon Heat fan. lol

LakersMaster24
07-01-2013, 06:16 PM

You can "LOL" at the Lakers all you want. The Lakers will always be above any franchise, so go ahead.

DRose7
07-01-2013, 06:18 PM
@Iron24th

Name me any star Dwight requests (not via trade), still wont be good enough to make it out the 2nd rd. Harden/Howard/Smith, they'll be the Hawks of the West

justinnum1
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Say's the bandwagon Heat fan. lol

That would be funny if it was true.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
@Iron24th

Name me any star Dwight requests (not via trade), still wont be good enough to make it out the 2nd rd. Harden/Howard/Smith, they'll be the Hawks of the West

100% agree, we're in this forum to discuss some rational things more then biased opinions, I can admit Lakers aren't in good shape to be back on top, some haters should admit some obvious things as well about others teams.

justinnum1
07-01-2013, 06:27 PM

Houston's future is a lot brighter than the lakers.

Aust
07-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Proof of the power NBA stars have.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Brighter or not, it will not be enough to get past okc, SA, memphis or LAC since their future is brighter (maybe except SA, even if they always find a way to contend).

LakersMaster24
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Sure, maybe Houston will look better the next 2 years or so, but after that you know they are going back to obscurity.

brandt
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
In the present like you said a struggling Lakers team still found a way to finish ahead of houston.

And please read my post, I didn't say the Lakers will be elite, but I said houston will definitely not.

Your bench is trash just as ours, the difference between us is that I admit it and you don't.

I repeat, unless okc, SA, memphis and maybe GS land him (which is unlikely) dwight would jump from a middle team to another, face it.

Houston wasn't even expected to make the playoffs, so I would sure hope the Lakers would finish ahead, struggling or not. Houston will not have the same bench they had last year(already waived 2 guys) and probably won't even have half of the same team with the way Houston's GM likes to deal. Lin and Asik could possibly be gone and they just drafted a bad *** PG in Isaiah Canaan who will definitely help that team. They have a lot of upside. Howard want's to compete for a Championship, not compete for who's going to retire first.

superwill
07-01-2013, 06:38 PM
all the teams involved are desperate it's just not the lakers the rockets brought in hakeem,drexler,they also said howard would be involved in roster decision, if im not mistaken mark cuben said he ready to give the keys to his franchise to dwight and dont forget dirk is still on the team but he wants howard to have the keys the warriors are ready to give up young players without knowing if dwight wants to come there so there all making jackasses out of themselves fo dwight

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
We will see if the reports of winning a championship immediately being number one on Dwight's list are true or not.

Time Warner can pay Dwight more but they can't help the Lakers winning wise. I think rockets or warriors even mavs are better options for winning if that's what Howard truly wants most. He is gonna get an ungodly amount of money anywhere he goes one way or another... think of the money the Chinese market will bring in for Howard if he goes to Houston not to mention the tax break he will get

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Houston wasn't even expected to make the playoffs, so I would sure hope the Lakers would finish ahead, struggling or not. Houston will not have the same bench they had last year(already waived 2 guys) and probably won't even have half of the same team with the way Houston's GM likes to deal. Lin and Asik could possibly be gone and they just drafted a bad *** PG in Isaiah Canaan who will definitely help that team. They have a lot of upside. Howard want's to compete for a Championship, not compete for who's going to retire first.

So you're telling me houston will better with some "if" and "if"???

So Dwight should jump on a hypothetical situation, I thought Dwight's goal was certainty of a championship shot.

shep33
07-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Doubt we build solely around Dwight. I think the goal is to get another max free agent or two in 2014 or 2015

justinnum1
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I just think dwight wants to win sooner than later, and not wait 2 years until the lakers become contenders again.

superwill
07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
We will see if the reports of winning a championship immediately being number one on Dwight's list are true or not.

Time Warner can pay Dwight more but they can't help the Lakers winning wise. I think rockets or warriors even mavs are better options for winning if that's what Howard truly wants most. He is gonna get an ungodly amount of money anywhere he goes one way or another... think of the money the Chinese market will bring in for Howard if he goes to Houston not to mention the tax break he will get

did you think the lakers were going to make it to the finals in 2008 when the season started?

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
The Lakers are just using the resources they have available to them. Just as a Rocket fan would like to use the fact that the Texas and Florida teams have an advantage in terms of non tax states, the Lakers are using their advantage of being the marque franchise world wide and using all their connections. That's not desperate. That is being smart.

I guess its not desperate to bring 50 year old players who played 20 years ago for your franchise..... That smells a little bit like desperation to me. The Lakers are not wheeling in Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, Shaq, Mikan. etc....

RLundi
07-01-2013, 06:56 PM
3 coaches? Lol bernie coached 5 games, come on, be serious.

I agree for the current coach.

Once again houston has just harden and parsons as great players, lin is trash, the bench is too.

Tell me what makes houston so competitive, please I'm curious.

Addition by subtraction for one thing: they don't have an idiot coach that plays Gasol at the 3-point line and stubbornly refuses to be flexible with his players.

More addition by subtraction: They don't have a notoriously-difficult to work with (and aging) Kobe.

Parsons in his role last year was better than Gasol, the team's third best player. And the Lakers bench is worse than Houston's. Not to mention Nash was AWFUL.

Like I said, Lakers should've been better. They weren't. I don't expect lightning to strike twice.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 06:57 PM
I remember everyone saying that the Lakers were done and were no longer going to be a contender in 05/06. Just 2 years later they were back in the finals, 3 and 4 years later winning rings. Its comical to see the same people saying the same things. Its like they cant even get things right with the benefit of hindsight.

RLundi
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I remember everyone saying that the Lakers were done and were no longer going to be a contender in 05/06. Just 2 years later they were back in the finals, 3 and 4 years later winning rings. Its comical to see the same people saying the same things. Its like they cant even get things right with the benefit of hindsight.

Who's saying that? Far as I can tell, most are saying it'll be another 2 years before Lakers are competitive again.

kobe4thewinbang
07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Don't forget the Dwight"superman" Howard statue outside of staplesIs that true? Ha! A statue for a player that hasn't done squat. In one season, all he did was whine, foul out of games and aggravate his injuries. You know there's something wrong with you when Shaq wants to coach Demarcus Cousins instead of you. Kobe, Shaq, and any other Laker deserves a statue before this clown.

mizo21
07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
So Dwight I heard you like Texas teams good sign with us and in 4 years you can buy one...

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Who's saying that? Far as I can tell, most are saying it'll be another 2 years before Lakers are competitive again.

Tons of people. Justinnum1 is one of them. And other posters using Jerry Buss's death as their reasoning. Not just posters, but people on the radio. That is Houston's main argument. They are not winning anything next year so obviously they are selling being able to grow together in the future. Its the same thing the Lakers are offering. In two or 3 years we will be able to contend.

MrfadeawayJB
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
The spotlight is prob why he wants to leave :confused: he can't handle the pressure

PraiseJesus
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Lakers comin with that straight gas homie.

IM pretty sure Rockets cant start a TV network for Dwight

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Double post

rockets-fan
So you're telling me houston will better with some "if" and "if"???

So Dwight should jump on a hypothetical situation, I thought Dwight's goal was certainty of a championship shot.

No that would be LA, with the IF they can get a max free agent in the coming summers. Houston's core would be set, not a mess and a guess like LA's core.

Look LA Lakers as a franchise destroys any other by a mile, but their fans are so spoiled now, that anytime someone picks a team not named the lakers their fans start saying "y'all are trolling the lakers haha" "LA is better than everyone else" blah blah blah yea y'all are great congrats on the history lesson,what are y'all doing now? That's what matters.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
did you think the lakers were going to make it to the finals in 2008 when the season started?

Hey so you know , its 2013 now. Don't care about 2008.

Kobes is 5 years older .... along with Nash and gasol .... there team is good but too old and injury concern

superwill
07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Lakers comin with that straight gas homie.

IM pretty sure Rockets cant start a TV network for Dwight

hell they couldnt get a deal done with CSN (comcast sports network) to show their games on other cable networks people who had directv or dishnetwork were screwed over counldnt watch the games

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Hey so you know , its 2013 now. Don't care about 2008.

Kobes is 5 years older .... along with Nash and gasol .... there team is good but too old and injury concern

It kind of does matter though. What he is talking about pertains to what I was saying earlier. If you saw the Lakers roster in 05/06 starting Kwame, Brian Cook, Lamar Odom, Kobe, Smush Parker, with no bench player worth mentioning, I am sure you would say the Lakers are screwed for the foreseeable future. But things change rapidly. People don't know what the Lakers would look like in 2 years. They don't even know what they could get for Pau this year. The Lakers could look much different if Dwight stays and they trade Pau for what they need.

Could Kobe tell Dwight in there meeting tomorrow that he is going to resign for 1 million a year so that the Lakers would still have Dwight, Nash, Kobe and still have the ability to sign two more max contracts? Is it possible? Yes, will it happen? Probably not. But like I said, we don't know.

Point is history is usually a good basis to judge what might happen in the future

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
No that would be LA, with the IF they can get a max free agent in the coming summers. Houston's core would be set, not a mess and a guess like LA's core.

Look LA Lakers as a franchise destroys any other by a mile, but their fans are so spoiled now, that anytime someone picks a team not named the lakers their fans start saying "y'all are trolling the lakers haha" "LA is better than everyone else" blah blah blah yea y'all are great congrats on the history lesson,what are y'all doing now? That's what matters.

You really don't get it, show me the post where I said LA is better???

Once again I didn't mention LA as a perfect spot for Dwight, I only said that houston is far from a perfect spot for him.

Your "roster set" is named harden-parsons and 3 or 4 bench guys, the rest is hypotetical.

No one can still explain how houston will be elite, just because they will not.

Your team wants Dwight but has nothing to offer to win the title in the next 3-5 years, you better face it.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2013, 07:42 PM
This is wrong on so many levels. How is offering a guy his own show not offering compensation? This is ludicrous on so many ****ing levels. Is that what the NBA will do to force star players to the biggest markets? This is not disrespect towards the lakers but bad for basketball in general. What will be next? This is way over the line

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
You really don't get it, show me the post where I said LA is better???

Once again I didn't mention LA as a perfect spot for Dwight, I only said that houston is far from a perfect spot for him.

Your "roster set" is named harden-parsons and 3 or 4 bench guys, the rest is hypotetical.

No one can still explain how houston will be elite, just because they will not.

Your team wants Dwight but has nothing to offer to win the title in the next 3-5 years, you better face it.

I believe I said Houston's CORE will be set. Harden,Parsons,Howard. That's their CORE, no need to guess at who might join in two years.

I honestly believe if Howard plays to the best of his ability, that Houston has a chance to shock people and make a run. Shooters,Defense,star power, good role players, why not?

Shlumpledink
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I just hope there are no lannisters on his show

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 07:47 PM
This is wrong on so many levels. How is offering a guy his own show not offering compensation? This is ludicrous on so many ****ing levels. Is that what the NBA will do to force star players to the biggest markets? This is not disrespect towards the lakers but bad for basketball in general. What will be next? This is way over the line

Should the NBA lower the cap number for the Florida and the Texas teams since players might want to sign there due to not state tax?

amos1er
07-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I don't know why the Lakers continue to waste money on this pitch BS. The guy doesn't want to play for Jim Buss. Plain and simple. No amount of "pitching" or marketing is going to change that.

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Should the NBA lower the cap number for the Florida and the Texas teams since players might want to sign there due to not state tax?

Haha makes no sense, like always Laker fans trying to defend themselves no matter how ridiculous it is.

Iron24th
07-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I believe I said Houston's CORE will be set. Harden,Parsons,Howard. That's their CORE, no need to guess at who might join in two years.

I honestly believe if Howard plays to the best of his ability, that Houston has a chance to shock people and make a run. Shooters,Defense,star power, good role players, why not?

I'm ok with that, you have the right to hope like all of us about your team, and I will never bash anyone for that.

I mean people assume houston will be instant contender like it's written in stone, it's not working like that.

Teams rosters have to be set and play before making a judgement

homestarunner93
07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
As a Bobcats fan, not sure how I feel about this considering they sponsor our arena...

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Haha makes no sense, like always Laker fans trying to defend themselves no matter how ridiculous it is.

What am I trying to defend? I am just saying the Lakers are using all their resources. Just like Houston is no doubt using the no tax state as a selling point. The Lakers are using their connections in one of the largest cities in the world as well as being the top NBA franchise to their benefit. Its no different and it does not need to be defended

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm ok with that, you have the right to hope like all of us about your team, and I will never bash anyone for that.

I mean people assume houston will be instant contender like it's written in stone, it's not working like that.

Teams rosters have to be set and play before making a judgement

I agree with this 100%

Davidgta1
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
**** happens (Rick grimes voice) if he leaves he leaves would like if he went to the warriors tho I'd take klay and Barnes.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 08:02 PM
As a Bobcats fan, not sure how I feel about this considering they sponsor our arena...

They paid 3 billion dollars to the Lakers just so they could televise their games. I think they have more invested in the Lakers then they do in the Charlotte arena.

Which is why they want Dwight to sign with the Lakers. They know the Lakers would be watched more with him on the roster. Thus making them more money in advertisement. Its good business to pay Dwight more money on the side if it gets them more money in the long run

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 08:05 PM
What am I trying to defend? I am just saying the Lakers are using all their resources. Just like Houston is no doubt using the no tax state as a selling point. The Lakers are using their connections in one of the largest cities in the world as well as being the top NBA franchise to their benefit. Its no different and it does not need to be defended

But it is different. Texas has no tax, that's never going to change. The Rockets aren't pitching to Dwight" hey come with us and we won't make you pay taxes" that's just how things are down here. The whole lets offer him a show and more money from Adidas is ridiculous and should be illegal. Rockets use the taxes thing just like Miami would use it's beaches or LA it's glamour life and weather, and so on. You know things that are the way they are and it wouldn't change whether the player goes there or not. At least that's my opinion on the matter, but everyone's entitled to their own.

rockets-fan
07-01-2013, 08:06 PM
They paid 3 billion dollars to the Lakers just so they could televise their games. I think they have more invested in the Lakers then they do in the Charlotte arena.

Which is why they want Dwight to sign with the Lakers. They know the Lakers would be watched more with him on the roster. Thus making them more money in advertisement. Its good business to pay Dwight more money on the side if it gets them more money in the long run

Lakers will never have to worry about TV rating, even if they somehow sucked, people would watch them because people outside of LA nation love watching The lakers fall.

FriedTofuz
07-01-2013, 08:09 PM
just fire Mike D'antoni and hire a good coach please.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 08:14 PM
But it is different. Texas has no tax, that's never going to change. The Rockets aren't pitching to Dwight" hey come with us and we won't make you pay taxes" that's just how things are down here. The whole lets offer him a show and more money from Adidas is ridiculous and should be illegal. Rockets use the taxes thing just like Miami would use it's beaches or LA it's glamour life and weather, and so on. You know things that are the way they are and it wouldn't change whether the player goes there or not. At least that's my opinion on the matter, but everyone's entitled to their own.

Well, in my opinion when you refer to "LA and its glamour life and weather" you are talking about him being able to get his own show and more money from endorsements due to being on a team in LA. That is the glamour side of playing for the Lakers. Its just a selling point. And like you said, paying no tax in Texas and Florida will never change, neither will the side deals you can get by playing basketball for the Lakers. Its a benefit that is undeniable. Just like California weather, no taxes in Texas/Florida. Its not illegal. It just is what it is

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Lakers will never have to worry about TV rating, even if they somehow sucked, people would watch them because people outside of LA nation love watching The lakers fall.

I am pretty sure having more talent and a better team equal better ratings. Call me crazy but I am pretty sure that's how it works. You're right, people will tune in to watch the Lakers fall. But this Time Warner deal is LA based. Which means they want Laker's fans to tune in and watch the Lakers succeed.

What's the fun in rooting against goliath if he looks just like everyone else? Its fun to root against teams when they appear unbeatable. More people would tune in to hope the Lakers fail with great players. Not with scrubs

kblo247
07-01-2013, 09:04 PM

They once said that Yao and T-Mac would be the next if not better than Kobe and Shaq, only to never win anything why the other two won 3 more rings separately.

Likewise they come declared them champs with Pippen, Brkley, and Hakeem.

I'm just saying If Tracy and Yao were going to be the next, Hardwn and Dwight without a doubt are bargain basement Kobe and Shaq

amos1er
07-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Jim Buss is the problem here. Dude needs to go.

Aust
07-01-2013, 10:05 PM

That's not necessarily true. The money the Lakers make from TWC could allow them take in more salary and the luxury tax that would come with it.

Chacarron
07-01-2013, 10:37 PM
No more Jerry Buss to convince a player to stay, like he did with Kobe. Lakers should do whatever they can to keep Dwight. Jim Buss ain't convincing anyone to stay with conversation.

Hellcrooner
07-01-2013, 10:57 PM
lol the league shouldn't allow something like this.

It happens BEHIND THE SCENES all the time.

I dont know why lakers are being so stupid to letting it out in the public.

Silverman ( he has taken over already right?) will probably veto the deal and forbid l.a to sign F.a for the next 20 years and remove all their first rounders.

Check Wolves and Smith situaation and add the envious hate for reference.

kblo247
07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
The Lakers own no art of TWC, neither does AEG. The fact is it is legal and quite different from Dolan offering a show or Jordan offering a shoe deal. Is no different than Canes offering him free chicken for life of anything. Its fair game

king4day
07-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Nobody would watch that show. Who wants to see Howard perform?

eternal slumber
07-01-2013, 11:40 PM
They once said that Yao and T-Mac would be the next if not better than Kobe and Shaq, only to never win anything why the other two won 3 more rings separately.

Likewise they come declared them champs with Pippen, Brkley, and Hakeem.

I'm just saying If Tracy and Yao were going to be the next, Hardwn and Dwight without a doubt are bargain basement Kobe and Shaq

injuries, does it ring a bell? not just a year but year in and year out plagued with injuries.

just imagine that 2009 squad being healthy all year long

Yao / Hayes
Scola / Landry
Artest / Battier
McGrady / Wafer (yes Wafer)
Brooks / Lowry

Aust
07-01-2013, 11:45 PM
It happens BEHIND THE SCENES all the time.

I dont know why lakers are being so stupid to letting it out in the public.

I'm sure it does, but that doesn't make it right.

Hmm, I had a bet with you a long ago about something. I don't remember what it was about which is too bad because I probably won :)

Aust
07-01-2013, 11:46 PM
injuries, does it ring a bell? not just a year but year in and year out plagued with injuries.

just imagine that 2009 squad being healthy all year long

Yao / Hayes
Scola / Landry
Artest / Battier
McGrady / Wafer (yes Wafer)
Brooks / Lowry

You could say the same about the Lakers last season.

FOBolous
07-01-2013, 11:51 PM
for what it's worth, Comcast offered Howard something similar during Houston's meeting with him:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9443188/dwight-howard-meets-atlanta-hawks-los-angeles-lakers-finalize-pitch-according-sources

The Lakers won't be the only ones with a television element to their pitch. According to a source familiar with Houston's meeting with Howard, part of the Rockets' presentation revolved around TV opportunities for Howard with Comcast SportsNet Houston. The Rockets own more than 30 percent of the network.

so it's Comcast vs TWC i guess

Aust
07-02-2013, 12:47 AM
for what it's worth, Comcast offered Howard something similar during Houston's meeting with him:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9443188/dwight-howard-meets-atlanta-hawks-los-angeles-lakers-finalize-pitch-according-sources

so it's Comcast vs TWC i guess

Where are all the people saying Houston is "pathetic" and "desperate"? I've only heard the complaints with the Lakers..

PraiseJesus
07-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Hes going to Dallas haha

beliges
07-02-2013, 04:10 AM
So Dwight can either go to Houston to have the best opportunity to compete for a ring or he can stay with the Lakers and have his own show....choices, choices....

LOL, you think houston gives dwight the best chance at winning a ring? Harden is a very good player but him and dwight will not be all that close at being able to win. Just seems silly that dwight will leave the lakers. I highly doubt its gonna happen. Lakers seem confident with their chances at keeping dwight and for good reason.

Aust
07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Well, we keep hearing that Houston is the frontrunner, although the Nets were also the frontrunner and look what happened there.

Rumors will be rumors, for whatever path he takes, I'll believe it when I see it.

Greet
07-02-2013, 07:23 AM
If Howard was looking for money from outside stuff and 3rd party stuff, he would go to Dallas.

RaiderLakersA's
07-02-2013, 09:30 AM

Texas does not tax income, true, but I'm hearing that they do indeed have a property tax...and it's one of the highest in the country. Also true? As a potential property owner, I'm sure Dwight has also factored that variable into the equation.

In any event, the tax aspect is a non-issue. We (PSDers) speak of taxes through the lens of Joe Average, for whom ANY tax is too much. But for the wealthy, as evinced by so many of our industry moguls and statesmen, there are so many loopholes in federal and state laws that a wealthy person and a half decent CPA can easily render it a non-issue. This is why you never hear a professional athlete mention tax as a pro/con for moving to a new team.

At the end of the day, I think it's shrewd business sense to make use of any and all atmospherics to win a player. After all, you aren't just selling a player on the franchise, but on the climate...and in LA that climate entails a billion dollar entertainment mecca that is eager to make Dwight a living totem for endorsements worldwide.

True, what LA brings to the table may not appeal to everyone. Frankly, I think the notion of becoming THE face of the Lakers and living up to the other great legends of the NBA scares the hell out of Dwight. In time, we'll see. Give it a week from now.

joeystats
07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Chris Palmer @ESPNChrisPalmer about 46 minutes ago
Time Warner is in meeting with Dwight. In Houston they don't even get Rockets games on DirecTV.

Chris Palmer @ESPNChrisPalmer about 50 minutes ago
Just got back to LA. Everything I'm hearing is Lakers are the leader.

3RDASYSTEM
07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
https://twitter.com/mcten

Mods can move this elsewhere that they seem fit if necessary. Thought it was interesting. I've never seen a T.V show being offered as part of a team going after free agents

tv show=movies=Hollywood

see SHAQ for example of getting movies as extra incentive for signing with Hollywood la

rockets-fan
07-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Rockets lowering to their level offering tv shows, hate it.

Anyways I say this is what makes him resign, we all know how Dwight is he loves being on tv. LA is obviously the place for him post basketball, lets just skip the shinanagens and resign Howard.

NYKalltheway
07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
if this is allowed I see the Knicks potentially getting a super team assembled with minimum contracts :D