PDA

View Full Version : I hate all the NBA superstars want to play together

TraVaughnb
06-30-2013, 11:49 PM
I do not like it because it leaves u watching boring games on tv half the time

G-Menn!
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Did you just start watching? It's been going on since the 90s and even earlier..

G-Menn!
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Diff is back than gms made moved now players are.

TraVaughnb
06-30-2013, 11:54 PM
I know but now it is getting out if hand don't u agree tho

G-Menn!
06-30-2013, 11:56 PM
As long as I get to see good quality basketball from at least one team, I'm fine with it

c.c.
06-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Yeah I'm not too fun of it either but the NBA changes in different eras. It really sucks for small market teams though, they get these lotto picks then after the players become elite and well recognized they demand trades or go sign with a big market. Its a business first and these teams will deal them too for the best of their organization so.

RiceOnTheRun
07-01-2013, 12:13 AM
I think it puts a whole lot pressure on teams to draft well. I mean, look at small markets like OKC. If they hadn't drafted well, there's no doubt KD is out of there first chance he gets. Now, nearly no chance he leaves because they have a very solid core. Tim Duncan wouldn't have stayed in SA all those years had he not been put together with 4 other Hall of Famers.

Either way, like it or not, the new CBA is penalizing teams that draft too well, ala OKC. We'll see a whole lot more 1-2 superstar teams now.

FOXHOUND
07-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Yeah, look what just happened with Bargnani going to NY.

:p

--23--
07-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Did you just start watching? It's been going on since the 90s and even earlier..

I can't agree with this statement superstars wanting/forcing to join together have not been going on since the 90's and earlier. Only two-three superstar players come to mind that did it in the 80's & 90's, Clyde Drexler & Barkley at age 32 & 33 teaming up with Hakeem and Moses Malone teaming up with Dr. J. I could also add Wilt, Baylor and West to the list because Wilt did force to be traded to a western team(Seattle, Los Angeles, or San Diego).

Other than those situations you rarely seen superstar franchise players force their way to play with other stars like today players. All I could say is that the league is changing and I hope we see twice as more superstar caliber players come out of college.

OceanSpray
07-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Guys, it's not that all the NBA stars want to play together. There are just way too many stars in NBA because the talent pool is getting bigger and bigger. To beat the best, you need your own squad, that's what it's become now.

Dade County
07-01-2013, 01:10 AM

I'm going to take a wild guess, but these two accounts belong to the same person (or they know each other).

I love Super Teams! If Howard can find his way onto the Clippers or OKC, I would really like that; and that huge *** elephant in the room that everyone pretends not to see, as they nonchalantly walk around it, yeah his/her name is contraction.

sammyvine
07-01-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm going to take a wild guess, but these two accounts belong to the same person (or they know each other).

I love Super Teams! If Howard can find his way onto the Clippers or OKC, I would really like that; and that huge *** elephant in the room that everyone pretends not to see, as they nonchalantly walk around it, yeah his/her name is contraction.
heat fan lol

krisxsong
07-01-2013, 07:32 AM
I know but now it is getting out if hand don't u agree tho

How old are you 10?

Was the NBA boring when the Pistons had Isiah Dumars Rodman Laimbeer?

When the Bulls had Jordan Pippen and Rodman?

When the Celtics had Bird Parish and McHale?

When the Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Rambis?

Or heck is the NBA boring now with LeBron Wade and Bosh?

krisxsong
07-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I can't agree with this statement superstars wanting/forcing to join together have not been going on since the 90's and earlier. Only two-three superstar players come to mind that did it in the 80's & 90's, Clyde Drexler & Barkley at age 32 & 33 teaming up with Hakeem and Moses Malone teaming up with Dr. J. I could also add Wilt, Baylor and West to the list because Wilt did force to be traded to a western team(Seattle, Los Angeles, or San Diego).

Other than those situations you rarely seen superstar franchise players force their way to play with other stars like today players. All I could say is that the league is changing and I hope we see twice as more superstar caliber players come out of college.

It's not exactly the fault of the players.

Back in the day, the game was far more physical. That led to dirty plays, hard hits, and players genuinely hating each other.

In today's day and age with the social media and all that, players on opposing teams befriend each other.

Essentially, you're saying you hate players that want to play with their friends.

NYY 26 to 7
07-01-2013, 08:17 AM
How old are you 10?

Was the NBA boring when the Pistons had Isiah Dumars Rodman Laimbeer?

When the Bulls had Jordan Pippen and Rodman?

When the Celtics had Bird Parish and McHale?

When the Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Rambis?

Or heck is the NBA boring now with LeBron Wade and Bosh?

One of these things is not like the other...

It is what it is in the league but this hasn't happened before where guys in their prime have openly maneuvered to get to play with the certain players they want to play with. I'm not saying its bad but I hate when people take these older examples where not one of these players you mentioned was signed as a free agent. This hasn't been happening and I hate when people say that. Yes there have been lots of great teams and player combos but it happened through drafting, player development, and good team building from the front office to coaching.

krisxsong
07-01-2013, 08:28 AM
One of these things is not like the other...

It is what it is in the league but this hasn't happened before where guys in their prime have openly maneuvered to get to play with the certain players they want to play with. I'm not saying its bad but I hate when people take these older examples where not one of these players you mentioned was signed as a free agent. This hasn't been happening and I hate when people say that. Yes there have been lots of great teams and player combos but it happened through drafting, player development, and good team building from the front office to coaching.

You don't get it do you?

This guys said it makes the NBA boring. If superteams make the NBA boring, how was the NBA's ratings going through the roof in the late 80s and 90s? That doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter how they are formed, for guys like him superteams supposedly make the NBA boring to watch cause only a few teams really matter.

SLS80
07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Yeah, look what just happened with Bargnani going to NY.

:p

Raptors have been trying to trade him for 2 seasons now. He may want to leave now because he doesn't feel the love, unlike LBJ whos team and city loved him and begged him to stay.

SLS80
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
If KD had it his way on draft day, he would be in a Raptors uniform.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog/2013/01/17/kevin-durant-admits-he-grew-up-wanting-to-be-a-toronto-raptor/

SLS80
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
The Bulls traded for pippen rodman to build a super team. Lakers are always trying to build a super team. Spurs drafted their own super team and are smart about who they draft taking personalities along with skill and fundamentals. The Suns in the early 2000`s tried to build a super team, Boston, Miami, the knicks now the nets. the list goes on and on. Just enjoy the games that these super teams play against one another. The drafts with the exception of this year are getting deeper and deeper. Kids are getting bigger stronger and more athletic every year. Soon every team in the league will have a team full of studs. Basketball is becoming more popular every year across the globe. Everyone chases that ring and will do what ever it takes to get one. That's what I like to see.

SLS80
07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
It has always been Free agents joining forces with strong teams to get the elusive ring, todays social media just puts it right up in your face now.

t_money25
07-01-2013, 09:22 AM
So basically the OP is saying he doesn't like it when super teams are built through free agency??

kblo247
07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
There shouldn't be 30 teams, there should be 24. That would solve everything

Bruins2012
07-01-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't like it either, here's why;
1. The game is just too damn easy.
Itís been argued that of all the professional sports, NBA players are the most all around athletic group of the lot. And I get that argument. Really I do. In fact, I donít debate it. Compare the average NBA player to an MLB catcher or a lineman from the NFL and itís generally not even a close contest. But do you know how tall the average NBA player is? Heís almost 6 feet 7 inches tall. And that means half the active players in the league are actually TALLER than 6í7Ē. Do you know how high the rim is in NBA basketball? 10 feet. Using a very average arm length of 26 inches from shoulder to wrist, when a guy who is 6 feet 7 inches tall extends his arms above his head he effectively becomes 8 feet 9 inches tall, give or take. Without even the tiniest of jumps, the average NBA player is only 15 inches away from the rim.
Next time you play pick up hoops on an adjustable rim with your buddies, drop it down so itís only 15 inches above your extended arms and watch how much easier the game becomes. I canít say for sure if youíll be doing windmill dunks but I bet a 20 ft jumper or a breakaway layup starts to look an awful lot easier than it did when the rim was at 10 ft. And this doesnít even factor in the amazing leaping ability of many NBA players. (*The AVERAGE NBA vertical is 28 inches, with many players clocking in significantly higher.) Imagine Tiger Woods playing a round with you at your local municipal golf course. You think heíd score pretty well? Damn right he would, because his skill as an athlete and golfer far, FAR, exceeds the demands of that course.
The very same thing is true of every NBA basketball game.
1. Itís a ďScore at WillĒ Sport
I know all you hoops fans are getting ready to jump down my throat about how tough it is to break down an NBA defense thatís anchored by a guy whoís 7í2 and 300 lbs clogging up the middle, but if itís so tough, why do NBA teams routinely score 100 points every time they take the floor?
To put it another way, letís say youíre watching another sport like NFL Football. Or Major League Baseball. Soccer. Hockey. Whatever. Take your pick.
And letís say you get up to go to the bathroom or get a beer. (Or both, if youíre me.)
Whatís the first thing you ask your buddy when you get back to your seat? ďWhat did I miss?Ē And why do you ask that? Because in EVERY other sport, scoring points is an absolute premium. In football, teams generally have to engineer a drive of some kind and string together a bunch of successful plays in order to score. Minus the instantaneous nature of a home run, baseball often requires a sequence of hits and/or walks in order to get a run across the plate. In basketball, when you come back from the bathroom and ask that question, the answer will be: ďYou missed as many points as each team could score in the time you were gone.Ē Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 or 12 (5Ė6 baskets per team) depending on whether you had to go #1 or #2.
1. The Majority of the Floor is Uncontested
Think about what happens after an NBA team makes a basket. (At least 99% of the time, that is.) The team that was just scored on is now on offense and they take the ball out from underneath their own basket.
The team that just scored is now on defense so they turn their backs to the offense, and run back to defend their half of the court closest to their hoop.
Which is to say, the main area of defensive effort in the NBA focuses on the space between the 3 point line and the basket itself. Or roughly 30% of the entire floor.
In what other sport does this happen where a team willingly concedes a majority of the playing surface? Do hockey players retreat to the blue line and wait for the offense to skate into their zone before putting a body on them?
No. Do football teams line up at their own 30 yard line and yell down to the opposition, ďYou guys go ahead and run the ball down here and THEN weíll line up our defense!Ē No. Of course not. And despite its waning popularity, baseball in particular, is a game thatís all about micro-spacing adjustments based on the situation at hand: double-play depth, no doubles defense, etc. etc.
Because most sports are all about the value of the territory youíre trying to defend.
But oh no, not NBA basketball. When team has the ball, roughly 70% of the floor essentially has no value to anyone. If it did, certainly there would be more effort put into defending it.
(Disclaimer: Iíll grant you that High School and College Hoops (neither of which I love but both of which I enjoy more than the NBA) may be a little different on this point in that youíre much more likely to see a regular full court press employed at this level than you are in the pros but if thatís a point you want to argue, youíre just being difficult. And really, thatís MY job.)
1. The NBA is A League That Favors Superstar Ball Hogs
When you think about it, of all the so-called ďteam sportsĒ out there, the NBA is really the least team oriented sport there is. When was the last time an NBA team that didnít have at least one (and usually two) high-scoring superstars won a championship? This is why the NBA places such a high value on ďscorersĒ. Those players who have the strength, athletic ability, and touch to put up 30, 40, 50 points a night almost every night. And in order to put up those numbers, these scorers are going to have to take a large majority of the teamís shots every single time down the floor, maybe to the tune of 25Ė40 shots per night, while the rest of the team may only get a chance to shoot the ball 3 or 4 times per game and only when theyíre completely wide open or the shot clock is running down.
When you think scorers, think Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, and LeBron James. In fairness to all the above, Jordan and LeBron were both insightful enough to realize that for all the defensive attention they were going to draw, there HAD to be someone else on their team who was getting an open look at the basket, and for the most part, both of these guys became effective ball distributors when called upon to do so. Kobe Bryant, at least a majority of the time, hasnít been this kind of player. And Carmelo? Maybe the worst of all offenders. Sure, an NFL team may have a game where one guy scores 3 touchdowns. Or a baseball team may have a hot hitter who seems like he carries the team offensively for 8 or 10 games in a row.
Itís very rare that an NFL team can be truly successful with an offense thatís focused on only one guy. And a hot hitter in baseball doesnít get to bat any more often than the rest of the team does. Thatís because the NFL and MLB, unlike the NBA, are true team sports.
1. Free Throws Decide Games
So of all the things I hate about NBA hoops, hereís the part that frosts my shorts most of all. A huge percentage of NBA games (at least close ones) are ultimately decided by foul shots, better known as free throws. Why do they call them free throws? Because thatís exactly what they are.
A man with unparalleled strength, speed, and athletic ability, having been fouled (or in some cases, very lightly grazed) by his opponent, gets to stand on a painted stripe about 15 feet from the hoop and take either one or two completely uncontested shots. (The average NBA player hits between 70 and 80 percent of these shots. My son is 13. He can probably make 6 out of 10 of these on a fairly regular basis.)
What the hell kind of sense does this make?? How about we do this: the next time a baseball game gets into the 9th inning with a 2 run differential or less, letís let two hitters from each team take 5 at bats off a tee. The team who hits the most home runs wins.
Or, the next time an NFL games gets down to the final 2 minutes, letís just let each offense run 5 plays of their choice with NOT A SINGLE DEFENDER ON THE FIELD.
Sounds frightfully boring, right? Exxxxactly. Now imagine that in many cases this whole free throw thing is actually part of the team STRATEGY to win a game!
Happens every night in the NBA. One team is down so they have to stop the clock.
The only way to do that (other than time outs, of which there are way too damn many) is to foul the opposing team and force them to hit free throws. Yawwwwwwwwn. Iíll grant you that in the NFL, the team who is winning toward the end of the game often times has the option to kneel on the ball and run out the clock. But at least they canít start this flavor of nonsense until the other team is out of time outs and they can only do it until they run out of downs. Unlike an NBA game which often seems like a quarter and a half of clock killing and free throws.
In baseball (the BEST of all sports) there is no such thing as free throw strategy or running out the clock. If you want to win the game, you gotta get 27 outs. No matter what the score is, the pitcher has to stand there on the mound and give every single man his chance to beat him until the final out is recorded.
Now THATíS a sport.
No need to thank me for freeing you from the shackles of professional basketball.
I think of it is a public service.

t_money25
07-01-2013, 09:43 AM
For starters, that's way too much to read lol....but seriously you can't compare the strategy of playing defense in all the major sports because like you just posted there are huge differences. In basketball, no team disregards 30% of the court when playing defense. Teams from time to time play full court defense when try

sunsfan88
07-01-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't like it either. IMO only way a superstar tandem should be formed is if the team drafted the players (OKC).

Grow a pair and try to win a title without having to ride someone else's jock to get there. That goes for all superstars in the NBA.

I remember, Jordan said it best: "I could never think of teaming up with guys like Bird or Magic because we wanted to beat each other and that level of competitiveness is what's missing from today's NBA"

It's true, guys now are looking for the easiest way to winning a title instead of trying to earn it.

sammid21
07-01-2013, 10:27 AM
The Bulls traded for pippen rodman to build a super team. Lakers are always trying to build a super team. Spurs drafted their own super team and are smart about who they draft taking personalities along with skill and fundamentals. The Suns in the early 2000`s tried to build a super team, Boston, Miami, the knicks now the nets. the list goes on and on. Just enjoy the games that these super teams play against one another. The drafts with the exception of this year are getting deeper and deeper. Kids are getting bigger stronger and more athletic every year. Soon every team in the league will have a team full of studs. Basketball is becoming more popular every year across the globe. Everyone chases that ring and will do what ever it takes to get one. That's what I like to see.

Pippen was drafted and developed by the bulls, Rodman was 34 (not prime years). Lakers built the franchise around Shaq in 96 and drafted Kobe. Developed talent with only shaq as the star. Spurs, drafted and developed talent. Superteams now a days are being manipulated by players being friends instead of competing against the best. The mentality now is to be the best you have to team up with the best.

This is also why the NFL is popular, and the NHL is coming up, both leagues have different champions every year, or at least tougher competition, no real clear cut winner every year. Sure the90s bulls were the favorites every year, but they knew how to build a team thru drafting instead of best friends teaming up in their primes to win

2-ONE-5
07-01-2013, 10:36 AM

exactly this. i hate when people try to claim its been going on. Event he Celtics situation was different. Its one thing if you been with a team for a long time and they havent gotten it done and then you leave as a FA to a better team but now you hear guys saying they only wanna go to major cities so they can live a better lifestyle and play with their boys.

G-Menn!
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Wow.. Just wow.

I Rock Shaqs
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM

You suck at grammar/typing/English.

SLS80
07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Pippen was drafted and developed by the bulls, Rodman was 34 (not prime years). Lakers built the franchise around Shaq in 96 and drafted Kobe. Developed talent with only shaq as the star. Spurs, drafted and developed talent. Superteams now a days are being manipulated by players being friends instead of competing against the best. The mentality now is to be the best you have to team up with the best.

This is also why the NFL is popular, and the NHL is coming up, both leagues have different champions every year, or at least tougher competition, no real clear cut winner every year. Sure the90s bulls were the favorites every year, but they knew how to build a team thru drafting instead of best friends teaming up in their primes to win

Pippen was drafted 5th overall in '87 by seattle and traded to the Bulls for Olden Polynice. Know your Teams history. I was a Bulls fan, grew up loving them. Became a Raptor fan when MJ retired the second time.

SLS80
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
And sorry, I may have misspoke/typed, I meant it was the late 90's when players such as Shaq started leaving the teams that drafted them. Also we cant be mad at trades, that is a team having a good GM. I think its the LBJ's of the world that up and take their talents else where. In Bosh's case, he said he wanted to get on TV more. Carter wanted special parking for his mom and when the Raps took her spot away he wanted out. all kinds of reasons players leave teams. We can all agree maybe that we don't have sports anymore? It's a business?

PhillyFaninLA
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
TC welcome to the NBA from any era ever....

davids22
07-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Translation: I don't like teams that are formed through free agency and I don't like players that leave the team they were drafted by.

Of course he's saying that as a Bulls fan, because his team did it the "right way" in the 90s while the Heat are doing it the "wrong way". If only teams would "trade for" their superteams, then it's okay (ala Celtics in 07 and now the Nets in 2013).

I really see no difference in players choosing where they want to play and a front office dictating where they play. You act like players are at the will of the suits who run the league and they must do what they are told for the 10-20 years they are in the league. You need to remember that these are people who have preferences as to where they want to live and raise their families. It's also much easier to stay connected to your friends in the league through social media, cell phones, etc, so I understand wanting to have co-workers that you can get along with versus resenting them every day at practice.

Teams can be formed through the draft, through trades, and through free agency. And when it's the latter, at the end of the day, you can't force a player to do anything he doesn't want to. It's his decision. And I'm saying this as a Bucks fan. Almost NO free agents want to play here.

Bmoss12
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
You can hardly fault players who take less money to win a championship. Shows you somethings are more important to them then making a huge payday. I respect players who are loyal or have a strong desire to win. I hate player like Charlie V, Darius Miles, Gerald Green, Gilbert Arenas, players who play hard in their contract year and turn into bums until their next contract year.

SteveNash
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Didn't the Nets, Celtics, Lakers, and Clippers all have first round exits?

sammid21
07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Pippen was drafted 5th overall in '87 by seattle and traded to the Bulls for Olden Polynice. Know your Teams history. I was a Bulls fan, grew up loving them. Became a Raptor fan when MJ retired the second time.

Dude I know my teams history. You missed a key word I used, developed. Different story than being an established star they traded for. For all they knew pip was just gonna be a decent role player. He wasn't a great shooter coming out of central Arkansas just a solid defender. In fact he didnt have a great rookie season. I think he averaged 7ppg

SLS80
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Sorry, I thought the third word in your post was "Drafted" I didn't miss your key word "developed". Just thought I was helping you with the facts. But, the rest of the above I agree with.

SLS80
07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Translation: I don't like teams that are formed through free agency and I don't like players that leave the team they were drafted by.

Of course he's saying that as a Bulls fan, because his team did it the "right way" in the 90s while the Heat are doing it the "wrong way". If only teams would "trade for" their superteams, then it's okay (ala Celtics in 07 and now the Nets in 2013).

I really see no difference in players choosing where they want to play and a front office dictating where they play. You act like players are at the will of the suits who run the league and they must do what they are told for the 10-20 years they are in the league. You need to remember that these are people who have preferences as to where they want to live and raise their families. It's also much easier to stay connected to your friends in the league through social media, cell phones, etc, so I understand wanting to have co-workers that you can get along with versus resenting them every day at practice.

Teams can be formed through the draft, through trades, and through free agency. And when it's the latter, at the end of the day, you can't force a player to do anything he doesn't want to. It's his decision. And I'm saying this as a Bucks fan. Almost NO free agents want to play here.

Can't argue any of that.

LeperMessiah
07-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Somebody just started watching NBA.

herewegocubbies
07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
You can hardly fault players who take less money to win a championship. Shows you somethings are more important to them then making a huge payday. I respect players who are loyal or have a strong desire to win. I hate player like Charlie V, Darius Miles, Gerald Green, Gilbert Arenas, players who play hard in their contract year and turn into bums until their next contract year.

Well said.

Dade County
07-02-2013, 07:10 PM
exactly this. i hate when people try to claim its been going on. Event he Celtics situation was different. Its one thing if you been with a team for a long time and they havent gotten it done and then you leave as a FA to a better team but now you hear guys saying they only wanna go to major cities so they can live a better lifestyle and play with their boys.

1st...Whats a long time to you?

2nd... Should NBA players go by what you think a long time is?

3rd... Once a player becomes a free agent, everyone should **** off! That player owes no one anything, not the former fan base or the front office of that team.

Dade County
07-02-2013, 07:19 PM

100%

smith&wesson
07-02-2013, 07:25 PM

as much as i hated lebron going to miami I find myself watching way more heat games. as much as i hated nash and howard going to the lakers, i found myself watching way more laker games. i hate the idea but when it happends it def attracts my attention.

farren.louis
07-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I like it , I bet it sucks when your team suck. The playoffs is when it all pays off you get 2 months of super-teams meeting when it counts. SO QUIT B*****in

WadeKobe
07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
This is all a fabrication. No one hates superteams. The responses in this thread prove it. When Jordan retired, 5 teams had won the last 18 championships. Currently, 6 teams have won the last 14. So, there is technically just as much competitive balance as their used to be.

Super teams have always been a Part of the NBA. It is what makes the NBA go. The Lakers and Celtics were no less super teams than this Heat team. The ONLY difference was GMs putting them together or players puttin them together. It is, in the end, exactly the same.

Someone explain to me why one is differen or worse than the other. Please.

WadeKobe
07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
... but they knew how to build a team thru drafting instead of best friends teaming up in their primes to win

It is no different.