PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Set To Take A Step Back In The West?

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Latest reports are that Kevin Martin is a goner (7 teams with cap space are very interested). Leaving them with a hole in the lineup and no consistent 3rd scorer/option for the first time since they drafted Harden. Ibaka showed some offensive improvement but the loss of Harden and soon Martin may hurt them badly. They failed in the draft by taking a known project center that may take 3-4 years to develop and they also failed to develop Lamb whatsoever last year when they had plenty of chances knowing Martin may leave.

Do you think the Thunder will be able to get back to the finals in the coming years? They refused to amnesty Perkins so they have very little flexibility in the way of cap space or trades.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2013/06/30/oklahoma-city-okc-kevin-martin-free-agency/2477151/

MrfadeawayJB
06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm sure Martin will stay unless the $$$ difference is huge. This is his first winning situation in years

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm sure Martin will stay unless the $$$ difference is huge. This is his first winning situation in years

Every report/source I'm finding seems to think he's gone. Mainly because 6-7 teams with cap are ready to overpay him.

nyyfan4life
06-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Whether they take a step back or forward depends entirely on the progression of some of their younger guys. Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones both need to show improvement in their 2nd season. Reggie Jackson needs to continue to develop into an above average NBA player. Their role players have to step up.

Lets not forget that Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka are all still very young and still haven't reached their full potential as a trio.

Pakman
06-30-2013, 09:14 PM
They'll still make it out of the west with maybe San Antonio or Memphis challenging again

bholly
06-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Aren't they sort of in the middle between the cap and the tax? Not sure amnestying Perkins would've given them any sort of flexibility, it would've just been more about saving money, right?

I do think they'll be back to the finals, though, and are probably still the West favourites even if Martin leaves. The Harden move was a mistake, but they have too much talent not to. If Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka were getting together now for the first time, we'd be calling them a superteam and people would be saying it isn't fair, regardless of the supporting cast. They have enough young guys and assets to find someone to plug in at SG, if they decide they need it.

valade16
06-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Whether they take a step back or forward depends entirely on the progression of some of their younger guys. Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones both need to show improvement in their 2nd season. Reggie Jackson needs to continue to develop into an above average NBA player. Their role players have to step up.

Lets not forget that Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka are all still very young and still haven't reached their full potential as a trio.

The chances that either of those guys develop into a player the caliber of Harden is remote. The Thunder royally whiffed on trading Harden. They should've amnestied Perkins and paid Harden when they had the chance.

RLundi
06-30-2013, 09:18 PM
They'll still be a top 3 seed I think. Maybe Jackson can step up from the bench and be a Bledose-type player with high energy.

This is where Jeff Green would've been great, even if they had to give him an extension.

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM

I think Ibaka is pretty much peaked, same with Durant. I don't see what more Durant can give TBH. Westbrook I think will keep refining his game and Reggie Jackson is already an above average player. Perry+Lamb are unknowns who got no chance so until proven otherwise they aren't a factor IMO. Perry plays behind a borderline all star PF, so not sure he can get burn. Best bet for OKC would be to amnesty Perkins and play Jones+Ibaka together.

bonesaw4343
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
The Thunder are also one of the top defensive teams in the league. And with one more year of development for all the young players they have that should only continue. If they are going to win a championship its gonna be their defense that makes the difference as long as everyone is healthy.

h2r09
06-30-2013, 09:20 PM
I said when the contract extension for Ibaka was given they had made a drastic mistake.

Ibaka is a good player, but thats it. He is not really a guy who is a threat offensively. He doesnt really have any moves and i feel that overshadows how well he blocks shots.

That team has been set back for a while. They need to amnesty Perkins and get a legit 2 guard. I understand Thabo is a great defender, but he is a complete liability offensively and teams can load up on Durant and Westbrook because they are the only 2 who can create shots offensively.

You can not win a championships with such a small amount of guys who can get their own shot.

c.c.
06-30-2013, 09:20 PM

I'm pretty sure he wanna win but he also wanna make the most as possible and start too.

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
I said when the contract extension for Ibaka was given they had made a drastic mistake.

Ibaka is a good player, but thats it. He is not really a guy who is a threat offensively. He doesnt really have any moves and i feel that overshadows how well he blocks shots.

That team has been set back for a while. They need to amnesty Perkins and get a legit 2 guard. I understand Thabo is a great defender, but he is a complete liability offensively and teams can load up on Durant and Westbrook because they are the only 2 who can create shots offensively.

You can not win a championships with such a small amount of guys who can get their own shot.

Yea if they lose Martin they lose a lot of the offense. Like you said teams will be able to load up nonstop doubles/traps on their two stars and can pretty much ignore Sefalosha, Perk and Ibaka.

Dade County
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
To me they are still the best team in the West as of right now (but free agency might change that).

KD & Wild West is still to much to handle for most western conference teams. Only injury and the HEAT can stop them lol

EDIT**

But they do need 3 point shooters, and a low most scorer (Howard...smh).

D-Leethal
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Damn shame. OKC's #1 priority is cutting costs and they are going to rip apart a potential dynasty one-by-one and waste the early prime of one of the best duo's we've ever seen.

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Another factor I should mention for my thread is the emergence of the Rockets and Warriors. Kings made a ton of good moves this summer so should rebound soon, same with Wolves. I think even if the Thunder don't screw up bad, other teams are catching up. People forget that while the Thunder are still young.. their core has been together 5 seasons. The edge they have isn't as much talent as it is... experience as a unit.

poleandreel
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Martin has already said himself that he is staying. Idc what the media says

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Look nobody is taking a noticeable paycut to stay in OKLAHOMA, sorry. Show me where you saw this.

GiantsSwaGG
06-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Their still better than the clips

Clippersfan86
06-30-2013, 10:12 PM

Royce Young: As @Sam Amick reports, Kevin Martin is going to draw a bunch of interest as free agency starts tonight. Chances are slim he stays in OKC.
Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#I6E9JU2aOHykKFv2.99

BlahaTRUTH
06-30-2013, 11:55 PM
James Harden was turned into -- Steven Adams, Jeremy Lamb, and Kevin Martin. Oh man. They turned a dollar into twenty cents, not even. I wish the media would slam OKC more for breaking up that team. Absurd.

ArmLaker
07-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I just can't see these guys winning a title anymore. I think they had their shot against Miami.

There are too many threats and up and coming teams in the West that can challenge them imo.

You still have San Antonio, The Clippers who are bound to get better with further additions to their squad.

Let's not forget about the Denver Nuggets, Grizzlies and who knows if the Rockets get Howard how good they can be. The West is getting stronger and stronger and the gap in talent is not so wide as some people believe. Westy and Durant aren't going to win any championships alone if they don't get help fast.

G-Menn!
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
This is how I see it..

Last year they said okc would miss harden, and they did once Westbrook was injured.

If healthy, the thunder are still the favs to come out of the west (between them and the spurs) because of two people: durant an Westbrook.

So just like last year, I'd slow down on writing them off.

RiceOnTheRun
07-01-2013, 12:16 AM
I think Ibaka is pretty much peaked, same with Durant. I don't see what more Durant can give TBH. Westbrook I think will keep refining his game and Reggie Jackson is already an above average player. Perry+Lamb are unknowns who got no chance so until proven otherwise they aren't a factor IMO. Perry plays behind a borderline all star PF, so not sure he can get burn. Best bet for OKC would be to amnesty Perkins and play Jones+Ibaka together.

Durant could get bigger? Westbrook just needs to be better decision-wise. I don't get why they even still have Perkins. If it wasn't for Scott Brooks, he'd have been out by now. I get that he's not the worst coach out there but seriously, dude needs to learn how to make adjustments.

Millsy
07-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Martin is useless he needs to go, surely OKC can pick up a few better, cheaper options in free agency, Perkins has had his day and its time to go as well via amnesty or trade.

OceanSpray
07-01-2013, 01:07 AM
OKC needs to grab Tony Allen or J.J Reddick. They also need to do something with Perkins. This guy really hurt their franchise.

bleedprple&gold
07-01-2013, 01:14 AM
The Thunder didn't win it all with Harden, they're not going to win it all without Harden either. Other teams are catching up to them. They need to make a move, Durant and Westbrook can't do it alone. Also, they should amnesty Perkins if it allows them to bring back Martin.

sammyvine
07-01-2013, 04:43 AM

the thunder are still better than the clippers.

they will be a top 2 seed with spurs. those are the two that will meet in the WCF imo

Clippersfan86
07-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Where you at son? Martin on his way to play for a lotto team for the big bucks, just like I thought. Nobody is desperate to stay in OKLAHOMA.

poleandreel
02-04-2014, 11:28 PM
OKC with a huge step back. lolz

bholly
02-04-2014, 11:36 PM
lol

LJEATON26
02-04-2014, 11:53 PM
This is some funny ****.

Chronz
02-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Where you at son? Martin on his way to play for a lotto team for the big bucks, just like I thought. Nobody is desperate to stay in OKLAHOMA.

He got him there

Clippersfan86
02-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Weird bump considering that it was merely a thought with questions and possible scenarios. I didn't defguarantee or predict necessarily that it WOULD occur. Although I stil think they declined in the sense that 2 years ago they looked like they could be a perennial finals team and now, despite regular season wins don't seem that way. Although that could just be improved competition.

I have no problem admitting that OKC and especially Durant has been impressive.

xxplayerxx23
02-05-2014, 12:55 AM
:laugh:

Drummond#1
02-05-2014, 01:08 AM
Weird bump considering that it was merely a thought with questions and possible scenarios. I didn't defguarantee or predict necessarily that it WOULD occur. Although I stil think they declined in the sense that 2 years ago they looked like they could be a perennial finals team and now, despite regular season wins don't seem that way. Although that could just be improved competition.

Just admit you were wrong bro. No sense in fighting it. Sometimes people make dumb threads that are completely miss.

tredigs
02-05-2014, 01:20 AM

Yet with this improved talent in the West (probably debatable with no more Lakers) and their 1b out half the year, they're still the top ranked team in the NBA.

Losing Martin is probably far less significant than you made it out to be, especially considering that most of their young + entering prime talent are already signed through the next 2 to 3 years. I'd say they're still the favorite in the West for the foreseeable future.

bholly
02-05-2014, 01:42 AM

In fairness, you also didn't guarantee Martin leaving and poleandreel didn't guarantee him staying (just repeated what Martin said), and yet you bumped it to call him out, so maybe you can't complain too much?

Also OKC absolutely look like they could be a perennial finals team - now as much as ever.

king4day
02-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Closing this. Threads this old wind up having comments from months ago quoted on now and things change over that time.