PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Power Shift..West to East

Where's KG?
06-29-2013, 02:22 AM
Going back to 99 The Lakers (x5), The Spurs (x4) and the Mavs won titles. The Heat have won the last 2. The Heat, Nets, Pacers, Bulls, and Knicks are all very good teams. The West is in a transitional phase. Thunder? Spurs? Who knows anymore. What do you see in the next 3-5 years?

krisxsong
06-29-2013, 02:32 AM
I think the top 5 teams in the NBA goes like this

1) Heat
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Grizzlies
5) Bulls

krisxsong
06-29-2013, 02:32 AM
Dp

amos1er
06-29-2013, 02:34 AM
East if top heavy. West is still far more competitive. Can't be below .500 and still make playoffs in the west like you can in the east.

Dade County
06-29-2013, 03:52 AM
Going back to 99 The Lakers (x5), The Spurs (x4) and the Mavs won titles. The Heat have won the last 2. The Heat, Nets, Pacers, Bulls, and Knicks are all very good teams. The West is in a transitional phase. Thunder? Spurs? Who knows anymore.

I really wouldn't call it a power shift; it's just that the HEAT have 3 all stars. The West still have more teams that player at a hire level then the East teams.

What do you see in the next 3-5 years?

I see the HEAT 4 peat'ing ... I see rose/bulls taking over the east then, but I can also see KD leaving OCK if he can't get a ring their. So wherever KD signs will be the new dominate power out West, if he signs with a team in the East (HEAT), then the bulls will not be able to have their dynasty (but they will still win a title or two).

But it's so hard to look 3 to 5 yrs out realistically.

SugeKnight
06-29-2013, 04:25 AM
People say this every year. No

JEDean89
06-29-2013, 05:03 AM
East if top heavy. West is still far more competitive. Can't be below .500 and still make playoffs in the west like you can in the east.

good point. east has 5 teams, west has 9

NYKalltheway
06-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Nothing really changed, just a collapsed Celtics team that packaged their best players to another Eastern team. Wait till CP3 and Dwight move to the East and more importantly wait till the East gets deep.

JasonJohnHorn
06-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Well... outside of LBJ, the East's player who carried the biggest impact was easily Howard, and he seems likely to stay out West now...

This past year could have easily been the Spurs that won. But outside of the Heat, Pacers and Bulls, I don't see a team with the pieces to be perennial contenders. B and NY both have the potential though.

The Warriors are on the rise. If LAC keeps CP3 they will be in contention. The Thunder obviously. So there are three teams right there, without mentioning the Spurs (whose longevity is in question) and the Lakers (who may soon be in re-building mode) or the Grizzlies.

It's a little more even now than it was from 99-10, that is for sure.

Guppyfighter
06-29-2013, 07:38 AM
"Clearly, now that an East team traded to another East team, that makes the East better than the West."

The West is by far better. Not close.

Chrisclover
06-29-2013, 07:56 AM
hey dude, you forgot to mention warriors
Going back to 99 The Lakers (x5), The Spurs (x4) and the Mavs won titles. The Heat have won the last 2. The Heat, Nets, Pacers, Bulls, and Knicks are all very good teams. The West is in a transitional phase. Thunder? Spurs? Who knows anymore. What do you see in the next 3-5 years?

c.c.
06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
The West is a way much harder conference, just look at my division alone
Spurs (58-24)- don't see them slowing down next year
Grizzlies (56-26)- they will about the same
Rockets (45-37) - I see them getting at least one good piece in this strong free agency to push them further
Mavericks (41-41) - Hopefully Dirk will be healthy this season and they shopping in this free agency also
Pelicans (27-55) - Young team on the rise with a new floor general, a big man to build around, cap, and an asset to trade away (Eric Gordon)
I honestly think if you put them against the East top 5 teams, AT LEAST three (if not all) of those five will come out victorious.

Spurs vs. Heat
Grizzlies vs. Knicks
Rockets vs. Pacers
Mavs vs. Nets
Hornets vs. Bulls

Opinions, disagrees, agrees, and comments please!

EDIT: I matched them up by last year records

DetroitBadBoy
06-29-2013, 10:38 AM
The young east teams who are lower in the standings now like Cavs, Pistons, Wizards, and possibly Magic are going to be making hard pushes to the top within the 2-3 year span, probably sooner. It will make the east more interesting.

mngopher35
06-29-2013, 10:55 AM
West is still better than the east. I did like the move Brooklyn made though, I think they can be a factor come playoff time. A veteran team with talent, they just need to work hard on D. Bulls when healthy, pacers, knicks should be good as well. For the west though you have spurs, okc, memphis, clippers, warriors, nuggets, houston (especially should they land dwight) and another team I am probably forgetting.

tredigs
06-29-2013, 02:27 PM
All it takes is a championship or two by a single team for OP to signal the shift in conference power? Hahahah. And if Ray's desperation 3 didn't land, I assume the West is still better?

The balance of power is as lopsided as it's been for the last 15 years. The East's 2 seed is a 6 seed out west, and every team is in danger of elimination in round 1 (as opposed to gimme's at the bottom of the East).

ztilzer31
06-29-2013, 02:40 PM
^ quit with the what ifs. This isn't an argue about the NBA finals. It went in, and guess what the Heat won. Stay on topic or SHHHH.

I think this is all premature. When Dwight signs it'll seem a little more even. Spurs aren't done yet. OKC will be back next year. Rockets will probably sign dwight, and have a pretty legitimate team. AND DON'T SLEEP ON MEMPHIS!

They are aging though. Especially the big guys. Who knows how long Randolph/Duncan have. Then when Pop retires the Spurs will probably dive head first into the dirt.

We'll see though. As of next season I see it being pretty even.

ztilzer31
06-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh yeah and you got the Mavs. Cuban will probably work some magic soon.... Hopefully it's not by getting Rondo though... UGHHHH.

Korman12
06-29-2013, 02:44 PM
People say this every year. No

Exactly

ztilzer31
06-29-2013, 02:48 PM
I think the top 5 teams in the NBA goes like this

1) Heat
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Grizzlies
5) Bulls

This list is sexy. I'm big on the Grizz too.

tredigs
06-29-2013, 03:06 PM
^ quit with the what ifs. This isn't an argue about the NBA finals. It went in, and guess what the Heat won. Stay on topic or SHHHH.

I think this is all premature. When Dwight signs it'll seem a little more even. Spurs aren't done yet. OKC will be back next year. Rockets will probably sign dwight, and have a pretty legitimate team. AND DON'T SLEEP ON MEMPHIS!

They are aging though. Especially the big guys. Who knows how long Randolph/Duncan have. Then when Pop retires the Spurs will probably dive head first into the dirt.

We'll see though. As of next season I see it being pretty even.
Don't be a fool, it's a very legitimate "what if" when he's basing the entire shifting of conference power on a single playoff series between two teams that could not have been a tighter match. This, after the best team in the West lost its 1b to begin the playoffs. A potential/eventual fall by Memphis is negated by a rise from Houston/GSW and likely Minnesota if they get healthy this season. The conference is still leaps and bounds better as a whole, and until I see 2-3 years of the East turning that tide (the best players from two East teams joining forces on another East playoff team only served to create 1 elite team and 2 bottom feeders, no conference shifting there), that will be the case going forward.

IgglesFanInCO
06-29-2013, 03:17 PM
the 5-8 seeds in the east last year wouldnt have even sniffed the playoffs if they played in the west, its not just teams actually being in the playoffs with over .500 records but theyre all doing it in a tougher conference

only two teams in the east had winning records vs teams above .500 last year

JerseyPalahniuk
06-29-2013, 03:51 PM
The West is a way much harder conference, just look at my division alone
Spurs (58-24)- don't see them slowing down next year
Grizzlies (56-26)- they will about the same
Rockets (45-37) - I see them getting at least one good piece in this strong free agency to push them further
Mavericks (41-41) - Hopefully Dirk will be healthy this season and they shopping in this free agency also
Pelicans (27-55) - Young team on the rise with a new floor general, a big man to build around, cap, and an asset to trade away (Eric Gordon)
I honestly think if you put them against the East top 5 teams, AT LEAST three (if not all) of those five will come out victorious.

Spurs vs. Heat
Grizzlies vs. Knicks
Rockets vs. Pacers
Mavs vs. Nets
Hornets vs. Bulls

Opinions, disagrees, agrees, and comments please!

EDIT: I matched them up by last year records

Rockets vs Pacers - could see it happening, but most likely no.
Mavs vs Nets - no
Hornets vs Bulls - hell no

I see the point you are trying to make but you chose bad examples. 1-8 East vs 1-8 West, most likely west would win many of those matchups (maybe not next year though with Rose, Granger back)

N3TS
06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing as well. I had a discussion with a couple buddies and we thought that this shift in power has to at least make Chris Paul consider other teams. A very unlikely situation, but one that we thought of was CP3 and D12 could take their talents to Atlanta. Due simply to the fact that the Hawks can take both those guys on and pair them with Al Horford.

chitownredbulls
06-29-2013, 04:18 PM
West side all day errrrrday!!!! Lol...

ThaDubs
06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Teams like the Cavs, Magic, and Wizards could be very good with time.

4milesperday
06-29-2013, 04:31 PM
good point. east has 5 teams, west has 9

East has 5 tough teams, West have 8 soft teams and the Grizzles.

tp13baby
06-29-2013, 04:55 PM
The West's 5th seed (Memphis) would of been the 2 seed in the East.
The West's 8th Seed (Houston) would of been the 5 seed in the East.
The West's 9 and 10 seed make the playoffs in the East.
The West's 15 seed would of been the 12 seed in the East.

The top heavy comment really only applies to the Heat. A lot of the top teams in the East outside of the Pacers and Heat, like the Knicks, Nets, and Bulls probably would of fought to make the 6-8 seeds in the west. It really benefits when you get to be in the same conference and playing 8 sub .500 teams really benefits.

The East to me this year looks like
Miami
Pacers
Bulls
Nets
New York
Atlanta
Toronto
Washington

c.c.
06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Rockets vs Pacers - could see it happening, but most likely no.
Mavs vs Nets - no
Hornets vs Bulls - hell no

I see the point you are trying to make but you chose bad examples. 1-8 East vs 1-8 West, most likely west would win many of those matchups (maybe not next year though with Rose, Granger back)

I can see the Rockets & Mavs beating the Pacers & Nets in a 7 game series. The Pelicans and Bulls is the only one I'll waive off.

Bostonjorge
06-29-2013, 06:16 PM
The west is still the superior conference. Like the last 3 years the season hasn't started and already know who's coming out of the east. The west is always to competive to call.

c.c.
06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
The west is still the superior conference. Like the last 3 years the season hasn't started and already know who's coming out of the east. The west is always to competive to call.

I'd bet my life savings that the Heat will be there next year

THE MTL
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
They been saying this every year since KG was traded to the Celtics in 2008. Nothing's changed and still wont.

PrettyBoyJ
06-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Only the top half of the East is competitive. The west is still more competitive from 1-7