PDA

View Full Version : How'd your team do in the draft? (drafted players ONLY discussion)

JerseyPalahniuk
06-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Lots of threads about Nets, wanted to have some discussion about the draft. I know there's a draft thread already but was hoping that everyone could discuss a little bit about their draft.

Nets: Mason Plumlee from Duke. We wanted a shooting big/athletic wing coming in and we got a big who can't shoot. Apparently he's the most athletic big in the first round apart from Noels (not my words) so that should help our bench depth. He won't get much time initially behind Garnett/Lopez/Blatch/Evans but he should learn from the veterans and hopefully develop into at least a Hansborough type guy. Maybe a few alley oops in blow out situations haha.

I know it's not my team but I think WOLVES did a great job getting Shabazz Muhammed and Dieng. The nets were hoping to get him if he dropped but great pick ups. Haven't followed them since the season ended so don't know how it fits the roster depth but hoping to hear from fans about them.

JLynn943
06-28-2013, 04:32 PM
The Kings completely lucked into McLemore and jumped on the opportunity to draft him, and I'm extremely happy about it.

McCallum I know very little about, but I've heard some good things, so hopefully he can contribute

rocket
06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
The Kings completely lucked into McLemore and jumped on the opportunity to draft him, and I'm extremely happy about it.

McCallum I know very little about, but I've heard some good things, so hopefully he can contribute

The Kings did great in the draft.

rocket
06-28-2013, 04:35 PM
It was disappointing initially that we didn't draft Burke. But after seeing what KCP can do I'm ecstatic about our draft. Plus we picked up the "Steal of the draft" said by several people in Tony Mitchell. It was great.

JoeBlessU
06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Im a wolves fan and I also like what we did... At least considering how things played out.. Their top 3 were gone so they moved down and still got a good fit in Shabazz and a Greg Steimsma Replacement in Dieng.. I think the wolves will still sign a vet SG and have shabazz come off the bench chucking up shots..

flgatorsandjags
06-28-2013, 05:01 PM
I liked the Magic draft, Oladipo and Osby.

Stunner
06-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Bulls got shooters ; a player who could be a Rip type with 3pt range if he lives up and possibly a Physcho T clone with a killer 3pt shot.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-28-2013, 05:41 PM
I liked the Magic draft, Oladipo and Osby.

I'm VERY excited ot see how Oladipo turns out. IMO he's one of the few players in this draft that has superstar potential (althought could take a few years for him to get there like George)

topdog
06-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I know it's not my team but I think WOLVES did a great job getting Shabazz Muhammed and Dieng. The nets were hoping to get him if he dropped but great pick ups. Haven't followed them since the season ended so don't know how it fits the roster depth but hoping to hear from fans about them.

Most Wolves fans aren't very happy about the draft, but Muhammad and Dieng were the exact 2 players I wanted (as of draft day - I also liked Archie Goodwin). It's one of those drafts where people either love it or hate it it seems.

Heres the breakdown:

The Wolves have been looking for a go-to guy and were at the bottom of the league in 3pt shooting. Shabazz is no sharpshooter, but he certainly can hit 3s at a respectable clip when stationary and as luck would have it Rick Adelman's corner offense should allow him plenty of good set looks from the corner. His game is a bit unefficient and unrefined but his ability immediately to score in a variety of "ugly" was should help the Wolves with their scoring droughts and high number of losses in close games.

If anyone watches Wolves games, they probably notice a couple of things about the frontcourt: Love and Pek are punishing offensive forces, but defensively they are just roadblocks nailed to the ground. The Wolves have been desperate for shotblocking to erase perimeter mistakes (guard drives to the rim) and hoped that Greg Steimsma was part of the answer. Nope. Louisville's defense stalwart Gorgei Dieng looks to be a capable helpside defender that can play above the rim and offensively shows some promise as a passer and jumpshooter for elbow catches in Adelman's corner offense. Oh, and some alley-oops from Rubio couldn't hurt Dieng's offense either.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Most Wolves fans aren't very happy about the draft, but Muhammad and Dieng were the exact 2 players I wanted (as of draft day - I also liked Archie Goodwin). It's one of those drafts where people either love it or hate it it seems.

Heres the breakdown:

The Wolves have been looking for a go-to guy and were at the bottom of the league in 3pt shooting. Shabazz is no sharpshooter, but he certainly can hit 3s at a respectable clip when stationary and as luck would have it Rick Adelman's corner offense should allow him plenty of good set looks from the corner. His game is a bit unefficient and unrefined but his ability immediately to score in a variety of "ugly" was should help the Wolves with their scoring droughts and high number of losses in close games.

If anyone watches Wolves games, they probably notice a couple of things about the frontcourt: Love and Pek are punishing offensive forces, but defensively they are just roadblocks nailed to the ground. The Wolves have been desperate for shotblocking to erase perimeter mistakes (guard drives to the rim) and hoped that Greg Steimsma was part of the answer. Nope. Louisville's defense stalwart Gorgei Dieng looks to be a capable helpside defender that can play above the rim and offensively shows some promise as a passer and jumpshooter for elbow catches in Adelman's corner offense. Oh, and some alley-oops from Rubio couldn't hurt Dieng's offense either.

Great post :clap: Exactly what I'm looking for from the other teams. Let's just hope Shabazz doesn't turn into a Michael Beasely type and sticks to his role. Roting for Dieng as well, if he shows promise this season, that could potentially make Pek expendable for a trade/salary cap purposes. Going to be hard signing Rubio/Love/Pek AND getting some other quality players to contend in a couple years (if that's the goal).

tredigs
06-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Olapido seems like Kawhi Leonards mind in Dwyane Wade's body, but with Tony Allen's skill set.

I definitely do NOT see Superstar, but he should be a very good player and may see an All Star game or two if he can ramp up his offensive skills.

tredigs
06-29-2013, 12:11 AM
The Warriors traded for the draft rights to the self proclaimed "European Derrick Rose, but 3 times slower". So that's nice.

Jint.
06-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Hardaway Jr was a safe pick, I'm a fan of his game.. and CJ Leslie was a nice bonus UDFA

I give this a draft a thumbs up

RiceOnTheRun
06-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Can't complain, Hardaway looks like he can contribute and give some help from the wing. Gotta get him accustomed to shooting the three. Hopefully he fully embraces the 3 and D, which is exactly what we need from our guards.

CJ Leslie was a great pickup, gives us some much needed depth at SF. Hopefully he can play 10-15 minutes a night and give Melo a bit of time either on the bench of at the PF. With Copeland looking at some bigger deals, CJ could pick up some of the slack if he leaves. If not, that's even better. He's athletic, and lord knows we need some of that on this team. Some projected him going late first round, so taking him as a FA was perfect.