PDA

View Full Version : Nets interested in Jason Collins!

lamzoka
06-28-2013, 01:55 PM
The Brooklyn Nets are targeting free-agent center Jason Collins, the first openly gay player in NBA history, to return to the franchise, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

As the Nets bring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry into the franchise via trade, the Nets need proven, dependable role players available at the veteran's minimum price.
Collins, 34, has close relationships with new Nets coach Jason Kidd and top assistant Lawrence Frank. They were together for seven successful seasons with the Nets when Frank was a coach, Kidd was the point guard and Collins provided a physical, defensive presence.

There's reason to believe that he'd have a strong comfort level returning to an organization that knows him well and values his tough, defensive-minded sensibilities.
Collins made public his sexuality in May, and wherever the first openly gay team player in major North American sports history decides to play promises to bring a level of scrutiny. The intensity of the story lines with the Nets – Kidd as coach; Garnett and Pierce as fading stars in a final championship push – would likely make Collins' personal life less of an everyday public focus.

Garnett and Pierce played with Collins in Boston last season, and one Celtics source told Yahoo! Sports that Garnett was extremely frustrated when Boston traded him to Washington at the February deadline. The Nets plan to re-sign backup center Andray Blatche to re-join starter Brook Lopez and Garnett in the frontcourt.
Collins was the 18th overall pick in the 2001 NBA draft and played a part in two NBA Finals appearances for the Nets until he was traded to Memphis in 2008. Collins has since had stops with Minnesota, Atlanta, Boston and Washington.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets-interested-in-signing-free-agent-center-jason-collins-173232372.html

BigBlueCrew
06-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Didnt they bring enough attention in as is? :confused:

Avenged
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Garnett was "extremely frustrated" when they traded him, huh... Lol

29$JerZ
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Collins will help Lopez with his toughness

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Seems like a good fit but i think he has nothing to offer at this point

JerseyBrave
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Veteran depth

c.c.
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Kwame Brown > Jason Collins

kobe4thewinbang
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
LOL

Let me guess, this is only news because of his "coming out."

Otherwise, the dude's a dinosaur that won't contribute much.

hugepatsfan
06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Good end of the bench player for a contender. BOS didn't want to move him at all last year but they needed another guard and Chris Wilcox wouldn't waive his bird rights so they had to trade Jason Collins instead of him.

DoMeFavors
06-28-2013, 02:29 PM
WOW , we just keep getting more and more stacked.

X12Celtics3
06-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I'd be happy for him to get signed. Veteran depth is always good, and the Nets will want to have lots of big men because they're going to want to make sure that Garnett doesn't play too many minutes in the regular season.

Plus, he seems like a good guy and it would be great to see him stay in the league after coming out. He'd be with former teammates KG, Pierce, and Terry from last year and would be coached my Kidd, so it seems like a good situation for him.

Tony_Starks
06-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

For what? Assistant coach? He sucks.

JLynn943
06-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Veteran depth

yeah, not a bad pickup. depth and he'll bring some extra toughness to the team.

rocket
06-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Agreed!

KingsOfQueens
06-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Lol Nets will do anything for media attention and ticket sales. The Russian has made that clear once he became owner.

Big Zo
06-28-2013, 03:02 PM
He's a fabulous player.

I Rock Shaqs
06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I wonder what made KG extremely frustrated when Collins got traded lol.

diu9leilomo
06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
It will be interesting in their locker room

The goods
06-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Won't contribute anything but attention, he was **** in his prime so what will he be now?

kozelkid
06-28-2013, 04:29 PM

I don't even know why anyone is even bothering anymore. They should just hand Brooklyn the trophy.

Tony_Starks
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Now they're saying its a "long shot" Nets sign him.....Some reporter just wanted attention.

tmacsc2
06-28-2013, 05:08 PM
LOL

Let me guess, this is only news because of his "coming out."

Otherwise, the dude's a dinosaur that won't contribute much.

Hit the nail on the head!

Apophis
06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Garnett was "extremely frustrated" when they traded him, huh... Lol

Maybe Garnett thought Collins tastes like Honey Nut Cherrios.. :rolleyes:

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
:laugh:

PurpleJesus
06-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I heard he was gay.

PurpleJesus
06-28-2013, 05:49 PM
It will be interesting in their locker room

I thought about this too, but not because of Collins. More so because they have two heavy leaders in KG and Pierce who are used to not being questioned in Boston, and now they are walking into a brand new situation with other stars who have been with the Nets for a few years. They will have to flip their mentality to the year they first teamed with each other and Ray Allen, and embrace a true team concept.

NYSpirit1
06-28-2013, 05:49 PM
LOL wow. As a Jets fan, I know when a team just craves attention because of irrelevance.

The Jets just brought in Tebow last year and never played him. Now the Nets get a rookie coach in Kidd (who retired three minutes ago), brought in two dinosaurs to steal the thunder of the draft and now they want to sign Collins to get more attention.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Nets are not signing Jason Collins. Lol @ every knicks fan hating on Nets getting the attention. You guys are bringing even more by constantly bumping up this thread.

And if they did, you guys realize he's been on the Nets before? During the Finals runs. Kidd knows him very well. He was Garnett and Pierce's teammate. THe assistant coach Frank has worked with him. Maybe just maybe the Nets have no money left under the salary cap and need veterans to sign for he minimum as another insurance for Garnett? hmmm

BigBlueCrew
06-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Nets are not signing Jason Collins. Lol @ every knicks fan hating on Nets getting the attention. You guys are bringing even more by constantly bumping up this thread.

And if they did, you guys realize he's been on the Nets before? During the Finals runs. Kidd knows him very well. He was Garnett and Pierce's teammate. THe assistant coach Frank has worked with him. Maybe just maybe the Nets have no money left under the salary cap and need veterans to sign for he minimum as another insurance for Garnett? hmmm

Wojo reported this. Is he not a respectable source anymore? Who cares if he was on the Nets before? Are you guys having a Brooklyn reunion special? :confused: