PDA

View Full Version : So where does Myck Kabongo end up?

ChickenSouvlaki
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Texas PG Myck Kabongo went undrafted yesterday, and quite frankly that blows my mind a bit. He's extremely hard working, mature, athletic, skilled and overall just a good kid. There was a time where he was pegged as a lottery pick, but for whatever reason he completely fell off the map.

I think Kabongo still has a ton to offer and will be picked up by some lucky GM. Question is, what team will it be?

Kabongo has Ty Lawson type quickness, but with less bulk and more length. He is also more of a passer than Lawson and not as much of a natural scorer, but I think the comparison is still valid.

Here's an article that gives you a bit of an idea of what Myck Kabongo is all about and why Im so shocked he wasn't drafted yesterday:

http://www.slcdunk.com/2013/6/27/4470662/nba-draft-2013-myck-kabongo-is

Also just noticed this tweet from Broussard yesterday:

very surprised Myck Kabongo has gone undrafted

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2013, 01:38 PM
SA if i had to bet

jon32
06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Likely Toronto

Jetsguy
06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Dont him an Lebron have a connection?

Jint.
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
hopefully NY, strange he didn't get drafted

We_need_players
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM

UPRock
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Raptors, Knicks, Celtics, Bucks, Lakers, Suns and Magic all need a Point Guard of the future.

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Wow if he goes there and makes the heat team thats crazy! Now that i think about it it makes sense because LeBron and Myck cultivated a relationship when Kabongo was at his LeBron James skill camp/academy

greg_ory_2005
06-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Shoulda signed with the raptors arghhh

ChickenSouvlaki
06-28-2013, 03:13 PM

Good news for Myck. If he ends up signing with the Heat he brings something completely different than Chalmers and Cole at the PG spot.

Good move by the Heat.

ATX
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Good news for Myck. If he ends up signing with the Heat he brings something completely different that Chalmers and Cole and the PG spot.

Good move by the Heat.

Seeing as how Chalmers will probably want a bigger deal after next season, it is smart for the Heat to bring in Kobango and see if he can cut it in the NBA. As a Horns fan, I love this move. I was very surprised he went undrafted. He doesn't have much of a collegiate resume, but certainly has the proverbial "Upside".

TorontoHuskies
06-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Wow Kabango isn't that bright first he enters the draft when his stock couldn't be lower and now he's considering going to the Heat when the Raptors, a team he'd actually get playing time on, are also interested.

ChickenSouvlaki
06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Seeing as how Chalmers will probably want a bigger deal after next season, it is smart for the Heat to bring in Kobango and see if he can cut it in the NBA. As a Horns fan, I love this move. I was very surprised he went undrafted. He doesn't have much of a collegiate resume, but certainly has the proverbial "Upside".

Agreed.

Him going undrafted would've made more sense if he had character issues, but his character is one of the most attractive things about him as a player.

ChickenSouvlaki
06-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Wow Kabango isn't that bright first he enters the draft when his stock couldn't be lower and now he's considering going to the Heat when the Raptors, a team he'd actually get playing time on, are also interested.

Well apparently he's friends with Lebron, and Lowry is better than any of the Heat PG's.

It also helps that the Heat just won their 2nd straight title.

TorontoHuskies
06-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Agreed.

Him going undrafted would've made more sense if he had character issues, but his character is one of the most attractive things about him as a player.

He does have character issues apparently he lied to the NCAA and provided them with fake documents leading to his suspension.

TorontoHuskies
06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Well apparently he's friends with Lebron, and Lowry is better than any of the Heat PG's.

It also helps that the Heat just won their 2nd straight title.

Lebron basically plays PG (always handles the ball) and since Kabango isn't a great shooter I don't think he fits well with that team. He should go somewhere he can play his actual position and considering Toronto just dropped John Lucas it looks like Toronto might be a good fit (backup Pg).

ChickenSouvlaki
06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
He does have character issues apparently he lied to the NCAA and provided them with fake documents leading to his suspension.

Meh Im not going to knock an 18 year old who accepts, "impermissable benefits". What I remember from the situation was that he was very honest and cooperative with the NCAA throughout the suspension process.

TBH, it sounds like you're just mad he's going to the Heat and not the Raptors.

FriedTofuz
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
the raptors shouldnt even try him out at summer league, they should just sign him.

FriedTofuz
06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I went to basketball camp with myck before, he's one of our of the best alumni from our camp as well, and my coach and everyone is very proud of myck, he'll find an nba team

ATX
06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Lebron basically plays PG (always handles the ball) and since Kabango isn't a great shooter I don't think he fits well with that team. He should go somewhere he can play his actual position and considering Toronto just dropped John Lucas it looks like Toronto might be a good fit (backup Pg).

Chalmers will more than likely be seeking a larger deal than the Heat can afford after next season...So this is a good cheap low risk contingency plan.

ManRam
06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
the magic PG depth chart look like this

Jameer Nelson (halfway out the door?)/________/_________

gotta imagine we invite a lot of UDFAs and gotta think some would have a nice shot at sticking

TorontoHuskies
06-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Meh Im not going to knock an 18 year old who accepts, "impermissable benefits". What I remember from the situation was that he was very honest and cooperative with the NCAA throughout the suspension process.

TBH, it sounds like you're just mad he's going to the Heat and not the Raptors.

well yea obviously, but I would have still prefered him to choose a team where he'll actually get playing time if he didn't choose the raptors like the Magic.. Kabango should fire his agent that guy is clearly looking out for what's best for Lebron not Kabango (they have the same agent).

mike_noodles
06-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I hope he ends up on the Raps. Would hate him to actually end up on the Heat.

justinnum1
06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
And the rich get richer. :dance:

naps
06-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Don't know much about the kid since I don't follow college much. I highly doubt he's making the Heat team unless he's a lockdown defender (Not a good shooter as I saw on his profile). Eventually he'll be released and teams that wanted him/still wants him will have another chance to pick him up.

well yea obviously, but I would have still prefered him to choose a team where he'll actually get playing time if he didn't choose the raptors like the Magic.. Kabango should fire his agent that guy is clearly looking out for what's best for Lebron not Kabango (they have the same agent).

Damn dude. You sound really mad.

IndyRealist
06-29-2013, 01:24 AM
I really liked Kabongo last year, not so much this year. He's fast and a great passer, but can't defend, shoot, or play through contact. Much like Rondo, people will back WAY off him and dare him to shoot. He's this year's Scott Machado.

sunsfan88
06-29-2013, 04:38 AM
That's not fair. If Kabongo fulfills his potential with the Heat then watch them win at least 3 more in the next 3 years to make it 5 consecutive.