PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte fans go nuts at TWC arena draft party when Zeller is picked at #4

spreadeagle
06-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Needless to say not a popular choice lmao...they ran for the doors after the pick http://twitter.yfrog.com/0mf0hocrorxuacbrkwhpmbofz?sa=0

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 05:15 AM
That's hilarious. What did they want the Cats to do? They needed size desparately and by picking Zeller I'm guessing they plan on running next season. Maybe they wanted Noel? I don't think MJ could afford to gamble when the team has been so bad, for so long. It could also be Rich Cho's doing, who's a stats guy. Zeller is a beast statistically.

setman2000
06-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Too funny...parties over!

arlubas
06-28-2013, 05:38 AM
Just a terrible pick. Charlotte is so bad as an organization, on every level you can imagine. They could've grabbed McLemore or Noel, who are both considered franchise type of players and they ended up with Cody who was good in college and that's about it.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
06-28-2013, 06:06 AM
If I'm Charlotte I definitely take McLemore there, no brainer for me. Oh well, Bulls own the Bobcats pick in 2016 and it keeps looking better and better :clap:

jam
06-28-2013, 06:15 AM
It's sad to see the charlotte franchise sink to yet another new low. They were once fabulous as the hornets.

I thought zeller sucked at indiana; perhaps he'll pan out in the nba. Doubt it, though.

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 06:50 AM
It's sad to see the charlotte franchise sink to yet another new low. They were once fabulous as the hornets.

I thought zeller sucked at indiana; perhaps he'll pan out in the nba. Doubt it, though.

Zeller was fantastic at Indiana.

jam
06-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Zeller was fantastic at Indiana.

Not on the few occasions I saw him play.

Zeller just looks like a player without a position. He doesn't have the strength, back to the basket game, defensive instincts or rebounding ability of a traditional big. But he doesn't have the agility, or shooting ability of a stretch 4.

He'll get crushed by traditional bigs like Howard or Hibbert. But he doesn't have the skill to match up with guys like LMA or Parsons.

I don't know what the heck people see in this kid. The college game is so incredibly watered down as far as talent is concerned, I suppose he stands out.

Oladipo on the other hand. Wow! Not only is he a superb athlete, he's got a non-stop motor. He is truly the energizer bunny.

I see Trey Burke and Oladipo as stars in this league. Noel, too, depending on the status of his knees. Zeller? Not so much.

bigsams50
06-28-2013, 08:04 AM
I dont get the hate. Will he be a star? Probably not. But i also feel that he has a low bust rate. I see him being part of a rotation for many years to come

poleandreel
06-28-2013, 08:16 AM
reminds me of nick colliison

arlubas
06-28-2013, 08:33 AM
I see him being part of a rotation for many years to come
Thing is, you don't select someone like that with the 4th pick but someone who can turn your franchise around. Cody can't do that, the only thing he can do is be an average contributor down low but that's about it. If they had their sights on him they could've just traded down but picking him at 4 is just idiotic.

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Thing is, you don't select someone like that with the 4th pick but someone who can turn your franchise around. Cody can't do that, the only thing he can do is be an average contributor down low but that's about it. If they had their sights on him they could've just traded down but picking him at 4 is just idiotic.

Not in this draft. It's chalked full of safe rotation players/decent starters (Zeller, Porter, Bennett) and a few boom or bust players (Noel, McLemore, Carter-Williams). No one in this draft is a lock to turn your franchise around, especially if it's the Cats. Most mocks had Zeller top 10, so 4 was a stretch but not by much.

arlubas
06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Not in this draft. It's chalked full of safe rotation players/decent starters (Zeller, Porter, Bennett) and a few boom or bust players (Noel, McLemore, Carter-Williams). No one in this draft is a lock to turn your franchise around, especially if it's the Cats. Most mocks had Zeller top 10, so 4 was a stretch but not by much.
Tbh I think Bennett is as sure of a bet as one can find in this draft and him going to the Cavs, who have needed a SF ever since last year's draft (still can't get why they didn't snatch Harrison Barnes), makes this a dream fit. #1 is high for him but the guy was a top3 pick on potential and skill combined so I don't get why people are so surprised by it.

I agree with you however that this draft is low on All-Star calliber projects but Zeller has so little breakout potential that I just don't agree with that pick, especially for a team like the Cats who desperately need a game changer for them. Cody couldn't even be a game changer for Indy in college (he was good, but not dominant), how is he gonna do that in the NBA?

shen
06-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Was not a single franchise player in this draft. Only 1 or 2 players who ever have a hope of having a shot at ASG. Lot of solid rotational guys and solid starters on good teams. No franchise players in last nights draft at all. Noel is going to be a bust. Cats are already undersized so that leaves out Mclemore. Zeller was best option for them.

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Not on the few occasions I saw him play.

Zeller just looks like a player without a position. He doesn't have the strength, back to the basket game, defensive instincts or rebounding ability of a traditional big. But he doesn't have the agility, or shooting ability of a stretch 4.

He'll get crushed by traditional bigs like Howard or Hibbert. But he doesn't have the skill to match up with guys like LMA or Parsons.

*snip*

Those same traits haven't stopped DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee, Amir Johnson, or Robin Lopez from signing lucrative contracts. Zeller will excel in a fast breaking, up tempo team where his superior end-to-end footspeed and athleticism will get him to the free throw line, where he's 76%. His FT shooting suggests that he'll be a decent if not good stretch 4 in the NBA, and he's athletic enough to guard the perimeter on face up PFs or on switches. I'm not sure where you got that he's not quick, or that he can't score in the post. He may be one of the most athletic players in this draft.

The intrigue around Zeller continues to revolve around his excellent combination of size, athleticism and scoring instincts. A fluid, coordinated 7-footer, Zeller runs the floor as well as any big man in college basketball and can make plays above the rim with ease if given a running start....

....He used 14.9 possessions per-game while scoring 1.06 points per-possession, both well-above average marks only marginally different than those posted by Anthony Bennett.

Unlike Bennett though, Zeller stands out in a few very specific areas. Drawing free throws on an impressive 25.7% of his possessions, Zeller got to the line at a better rate than any high usage player in this group, by a fairly large margin. He also got out in transition for 13.9% of his possessions, the third most among players in this group, and converted at a near 80% rate on the break, also good for third....

....Zeller sports a near-complete offensive game, as he's capable of scoring in virtually every way possible from almost anywhere on the floor and gets to the free throw line nearly ten times per-40, an unbelievable rate. He's a very dangerous weapon in particular in the low-post, capable of slithering his way around defenders with quick spin-moves and excellent body control, and turning to either shoulder with very soft touch. A very good ball-handler for his size, he's also adept at beating defenders off the dribble with an excellent first step going left or right, and then finishing with either hand in a variety of creative ways, sometimes using the glass.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2XW1o3300
http://www.draftexpress.com

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Tbh I think Bennett is as sure of a bet as one can find in this draft and him going to the Cavs, who have needed a SF ever since last year's draft (still can't get why they didn't snatch Harrison Barnes), makes this a dream fit. #1 is high for him but the guy was a top3 pick on potential and skill combined so I don't get why people are so surprised by it.

I agree with you however that this draft is low on All-Star calliber projects but Zeller has so little breakout potential that I just don't agree with that pick, especially for a team like the Cats who desperately need a game changer for them. Cody couldn't even be a game changer for Indy in college (he was good, but not dominant), how is he gonna do that in the NBA?

Well, Bennett went #1. So who else should the Cats have drafted instead? Everyone has either a low ceiling or serious issues. Zeller will be in the league 10+ years, and I'm willing to bet most of them will be as a starter.

ATX
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Jordan really needs to recuse himself from the executive side of things.

RipCity32
06-28-2013, 10:04 AM
I think Zeller will be pretty good.Hes athletic,fast and has a good shooting stroke.I would never take him at 4 though with McLemore and Noel still there.

2-ONE-5
06-28-2013, 10:06 AM

there is no one in this draft who is gonna turn a franchise around. Zeller is rock solid and safer then Len or Noel. McClemore really isnt that good himself either and they dont have mucg need for SG's

ATX
06-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Well, Bennett went #1. So who else should the Cats have drafted instead? Everyone has either a low ceiling or serious issues. Zeller will be in the league 10+ years, and I'm willing to bet most of them will be as a starter.

Jordan and his poor fanbase need a shot in the arm, not an average player. I don't see why he didn't take Mclemore or Noel. I wonder if they won the 1st pick, if this is still who he would have taken?

*Superman*
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
If I was a Bobcats fan I would be suicidal.

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2013, 12:21 PM
they are mad cause he's white

MrfadeawayJB
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Zeller should be good and servicable, but he has no star power. Which is what Charlotte needs

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Jordan and his poor fanbase need a shot in the arm, not an average player. I don't see why he didn't take Mclemore or Noel. I wonder if they won the 1st pick, if this is still who he would have taken?

No, they need to win. They don't need hype. They got plenty of that with Biyombo, Walker, etc. Those are all hype who turned out to be pretty mundane. They didn't take Noel because of the knee. They didn't take McLemore because they needed size, I'm guessing.

Since Rich Cho came on board they've taken statistically some of the best players available. Not the guys with the most upside, but the guys who showed the most in college. Zeller has a PER of 30.2, with only Olynyk and McCollum rating higher among first round picks. MKG put up a 21.1 in 2012. Both were surprise picks. I'm not saying that they are using strictly PER (because they're not) or that they're right, but there is a definite strategy here. They're taking the low risk, statistically sound players who will be good foundation pieces to build a playoff team with. Which is exactly the antithesis of MJ's strategies prior to hiring Cho (see Biyombo, Bismack).

The Darkhorse
06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Part of a rotation for a #4 pick? They needed someone better than that IMO. I was surprised at the pick. Very safe.

*Silver&Black*
06-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I like MKG and Zeller together for that team. Maybe you find your superstar next year in the draft and have these 2 be great team players.

UPRock
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Ugh...

ManRam
06-28-2013, 01:25 PM
i always think it's funny how little faith fans have in their teams and how they seemingly have more faith in the draft pundits. i mean, the reality is that probably 90% of those fans aren't qualified to really have any form of an opinion on the matter and are just going with the general consensus which is probably wrong as often as it is right.

i wouldn't be stoked about it, but i wouldn't be that pissed. the bobcats kinda suck, but they haven't completely been botching drafts recently.

i think zeller will surprise some people. a hyper-athletic guy who is gonna run the court, hustle and could develop a really solid offensive game. never gonna be an elite rebounder or defender, but that doesn't mean he can't be super-helpful. but again, i've only watched maybe 15 or so IU games (far more than any other team besides florida, but still) and i haven't seen him in private workouts obviously...so what do i know.

ManRam
06-28-2013, 01:26 PM
i always think it's funny how little faith fans have in their teams and how they seemingly have more faith in the draft pundits. i mean, the reality is that probably 90% of those fans aren't qualified to really have any form of an opinion on the matter and are just going with the general consensus which is probably wrong as often as it is right.

i wouldn't be stoked about it, but i wouldn't be that pissed. the bobcats kinda suck, but they haven't completely been botching drafts recently.

i think zeller will surprise some people. a hyper-athletic guy who is gonna run the court, hustle and could develop a really solid offensive game. never gonna be an elite rebounder or defender, but that doesn't mean he can't be super-helpful. but again, i've only watched maybe 15 or so IU games (far more than any other team besides florida, but still) and i haven't seen him in private workouts obviously...so what do i know.

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Where's NBAStar at?