PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: Authentic Journalism or Negative Nancy?

jam
06-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Here's the exchange between Simmons and Doc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12tzdqCRHM

OTOH, I would hope that more journalists, or analysts would actually address the real issues and controversies in the nba. Simmons has, tackling:

-corrupt officiating

-the farce of the decision

-doc rivers being (possibly) disingenuous

In principle, on-air personalities should be willing to face controversy head on.

In practice, I just find the dude creepy looking and his voice gratingly effeminate.

Do you like or respect Bill Simmons?

Will he be back for another season on ABC/ESPN?

IndyRealist
06-28-2013, 04:40 AM
No one on ESPN is a journalist. It's entertainment. They have as much journalistic integrity as Fox News. There's a reason Woj turned them down.

spreadeagle
06-28-2013, 05:03 AM
Here's the exchange between Simmons and Doc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12tzdqCRHM

OTOH, I would hope that more journalists, or analysts would actually address the real issues and controversies in the nba. Simmons has, tackling:

-corrupt officiating

-the farce of the decision

-doc rivers being (possibly) disingenuous

In principle, on-air personalities should be willing to face controversy head on.

In practice, I just find the dude creepy looking and his voice gratingly effeminate.

Do you like or respect Bill Simmons?

Will he be back for another season on ABC/ESPN?

lmao, spot on

ottograham14
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I actually really enjoyed him last night. His fandome with Boston was a little much at times but you have to remember that he was not the one bringing this up most of the evening but instead Rece Davis and Jalen asking him how he felt when the deal was going down and also about Doc Rivers multiple times. I think his Greg Stiesma comment was just pure gold and had Bilas dying laughing. Id rather watch one NBA guy, one Host, one NCAA guy and a Pop Culture guy than 3 guys who all have to yell their opinions at each other on each potential of all players. I think Simmons is there for the common fan as he seems like he does most of his evaluating of players through youtube videos (espeically Int'l players) much like the common fan. I hope they keep him.

Carey
06-28-2013, 09:09 AM
He's becoming incredibly annoying imo

RowBTrice
06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
I enjoyed him all night. Thought it was better than the majority of the "yes men." He's also well spoken and easy to follow.

waveycrockett
06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
wow it's kid of crazy how unprofessional Simmons is and why ESPN lets this guy on an NBA set is mind boggling.

I Rock Shaqs
06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I find him hilarious to be honest, he actually goes at stuff like the draft being rigged and teams tanking and stuff, it's cool that he's honest and can at least be funny about it.

I Rock Shaqs
06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
wow it's kid of crazy how unprofessional Simmons is and why ESPN lets this guy on an NBA set is mind boggling.

It's mind boggling that ESPN has somebody who you find "unprofessional" LOL, they have tons of people who just say controversial things to get attention, but I'd rather them say things that are going to get discussed instead of the same old boring stuff every single time.

Teeboy1487
06-28-2013, 09:26 AM
I actually like Bill Simmons and this is coming from a Lakers fan. I find him entertaining which is surprising.

BigBlueCrew
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
How about sincere stupidity?

I know most us rag on the "analysts" on ESPN. But Bill Simmons really does take the cake here. I have never seen a more idiotic analyst on ESPN than Simmons. I guess in some sense it does bring some entertainment to the sports entertainment leader. And after seeing that clip I really can respect Doc more and more :worthy:

*Superman*
06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
His Stiesma comment last night was hilarious.

PleaseBeNice
06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm starting to like him. He wasn't gonna let doc say what he had to say without putting his 2 cents in

JLynn943
06-28-2013, 10:59 AM
He generally is an idiot, but he actually said something yesterday that I've been saying (that the Rockets are perfect for Dwight as they're basically Orlando's Finals team but with Harden instead of Hedo) and was funny with the Stiemsma thing. At the same time, he rags on people too much and tried to go back to the same topics repeatedly.

I Rock Shaqs
06-28-2013, 11:01 AM
He generally is an idiot, but he actually said something yesterday that I've been saying (that the Rockets are perfect for Dwight as they're basically Orlando's Finals team but with Harden instead of Hedo) and was funny with the Stiemsma thing. At the same time, he rags on people too much and tried to go back to the same topics repeatedly.

Who cares, if it was the truth why not? The Harden trade was awful in hindsight and it's even worse now.

Stunner
06-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Bill Simmons is GOAT

flea
06-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I just enjoy that all these years later he's still so butt-hurt about David Kahn. What a small man.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
06-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Simmons work on grantland, and the book of basketball, both of which I am an avid reader/observer of, have given me some of my favorite sports related columns. (Analysis, not news) Sometimes I wonder if he just translates best into a written medium.

On ESPN, I think he is raw as an on air personality, and at this point, he is trying to find the right balance between talking and listening. He will at least offer an off the wall idea, trade, or insight, that makes me say, "Hmm, that's insightful." or "Is this dude on something?" Plus, he gets so passionate (especially about that Celtics) sometimes, I think he does humanize the talking head to some degree. There are plenty of people who will disagree, but I respect him, and think he will get better with time.

waveycrockett
06-28-2013, 11:09 AM
I just enjoy that all these years later he's still so butt-hurt about David Kahn. What a small man.

Was he seriously considered for that job tho?

SlimKid
06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Never really been a fan of Simmons, but I do agree with his Doc take. IMO He's right to call out Doc's waffling and tell him to just "own it" - nobody else on ESPN would ever do that

flea
06-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Was he seriously considered for that job tho?

In his own mind he was, which is why he's mad. I sort of doubt Minnesota was going to take a pre-pubescent Celtics worshipper but, credit where credit is due, he does know basketball. Doesn't mean he'd make a good businessman though.

waveycrockett
06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
It's mind boggling that ESPN has somebody who you find "unprofessional" LOL, they have tons of people who just say controversial things to get attention, but I'd rather them say things that are going to get discussed instead of the same old boring stuff every single time.

Would you ever think MLB and or NFL to allow Skip Bayless on set on ESPN? Thats what has happened to the NBA

SeekTheTruth
06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
whatd simmons say about stiemsma?

KnicksorBust
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Simmons work on grantland, and the book of basketball, both of which I am an avid reader/observer of, have given me some of my favorite sports related columns. (Analysis, not news) Sometimes I wonder if he just translates best into a written medium.

On ESPN, I think he is raw as an on air personality, and at this point, he is trying to find the right balance between talking and listening. He will at least offer an off the wall idea, trade, or insight, that makes me say, "Hmm, that's insightful." or "Is this dude on something?" Plus, he gets so passionate (especially about that Celtics) sometimes, I think he does humanize the talking head to some degree. There are plenty of people who will disagree, but I respect him, and think he will get better with time.

Spot-on. Simmons knows his stuff and is the perfect foil. I especially enjoyed him when he was with Wilbon/Rose/Magic because he's the only one who doesn't just stick with clichés and obvious statements like "LeBron needs to step up and be da man tonight." He gives real analysis and can give context to his view points.

Sandman
06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Always looked at him as the Boston guy from Page 2.

Lately, although I don't really get the complaining about ESPN, he's been more on the attack than JVG and thats saying something. He always seems to mention the subject that nobody wants to say on TV.

rhino17
06-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Simmons is one of my favorites. He's honest, insightful, and most importantly he is a fan himself. I find that refreshing.

Rain City
06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
im pretty annoyed at simmonds digging at doc, i think it was a cheap attempt to get his growing name more recognition and spotlight..... DOc didnt quit on Celts... as much as doc didnt want to be apart of a rebuild, Celts wanted to find a cheaper option as HC... why isnt he going after ainge or ownership? why does he nitpick at doc? simmonds is not representing celtic nation in his opinion about doc, he is trying to use a bold opinion (w/out the hole truth like doc said), to make his growing name even bigger. hes campaigning for a bigger stage in the media clearly.

Sandman
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Spot-on. Simmons knows his stuff and is the perfect foil. I especially enjoyed him when he was with Wilbon/Rose/Magic because he's the only one who doesn't just stick with clichés and obvious statements like "LeBron needs to step up and be da man tonight." He gives real analysis and can give context to his view points.

Agreed here. Magic says LeBron is the best player in the world he needs to step up. Wilbon says blah blah jordan blah blah Lebron. Rose isn't nearly as clueless but you can tell he waters it down and would never challenge either one esp Magic. Then Simmons says flat out, HEY, LEBRON HAS PROBLEMS VS TEAMS W LEGIT POST PLAYERS, introduces a real basketball conversation, and its on to the next one.

I really thought I was going to hate Simmons this year but I was completely wrong.

Sandman
06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Would you ever think MLB and or NFL to allow Skip Bayless on set on ESPN? Thats what has happened to the NBA
Its pretty ridiculous. Anybody notice how uncomfortable he was with things unscripted?

im pretty annoyed at simmonds digging at doc, i think it was a cheap attempt to get his growing name more recognition and spotlight..... DOc didnt quit on Celts... as much as doc didnt want to be apart of a rebuild, Celts wanted to find a cheaper option as HC... why isnt he going after ainge or ownership? why does he nitpick at doc? simmonds is not representing celtic nation in his opinion about doc, he is trying to use a bold opinion (w/out the hole truth like doc said), to make his growing name even bigger. hes campaigning for a bigger stage in the media clearly.
I don't think he's campaigning for anything. They let a raw Celts fan like Simmons interview Doc. Error on the mothership.

Crackadalic
06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I actually like the guy. He can be a real idiot sometimes but he speaks the truth and says things that actually makes sense unlike that donut guy on TNT

JLynn943
06-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Who cares, if it was the truth why not? The Harden trade was awful in hindsight and it's even worse now.

I wanted to hear more about the players being drafted and the needs of the teams drafting them :shrug: I don't mind talking about that when the Rockets/Thunder are up, but don't take away time from other players and teams to do it. Same with the Boston/Brooklyn stuff.

Sadds The Gr8
06-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I respect him because he's real and doesn't kiss *** with boring cliches. He just doesn't get respect from alot of people because he never played. If Barkley said this it wouldn't have been a big deal at all...

NYK|NYY
06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I can't believe people on here really dislike Simmons. Coming from a Network that shoves Skip Bayless down our throats and other terrible analysts (Magic), Simmons serves as a fresh and funny approach. I thought he was awesome last night. I hate the Celtics and I still enjoy how wears his fanhood proudly instead of hiding it like other analysts. In addition to being pretty funny he says what many in the room are thinking which is great, IMO.

sammyvine
06-28-2013, 12:27 PM
I respect him because he's real and doesn't kiss *** with boring cliches. He just doesn't get respect from alot of people because he never played. If Barkley said this it wouldn't have been a big deal at all...

this is a great point actually....i think this is what it comes down to

i see all doc rivers kids were throwing the ''you never played, you don't know what your talking about'' talk....
but how-come stephen a smith has a good rapport with players but everybody seems to hate simmons?

KnickaBocka.44
06-28-2013, 12:32 PM
this is a great point actually....i think this is what it comes down to

i see all doc rivers kids were throwing the ''you never played, you don't know what your talking about'' talk....
but how-come stephen a smith has a good rapport with players but everybody seems to hate simmons?

Because Simmons tells it like it isand doesn't give a ****. You know how black people make fun of white people just for being goofy and whatnot? Bill Simmons flips that and uses his goofiness to lighten the mood of the NBA to a degree, because everyone takes themselves so damn seriously. That's why I love Bill Simmons.

It's funny that he is so disliked by people here considering he is a self made columnist and was only able to rise so high because of the support of his fellow sports fans.

NYK|NYY
06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Because Simmons tells it like it isand doesn't give a ****. You know how black people make fun of white people just for being goofy and whatnot? Bill Simmons flips that and uses his goofiness to lighten the mood of the NBA to a degree, because everyone takes themselves so damn seriously. That's why I love Bill Simmons.

It's funny that he is so disliked by people here considering he is a self made columnist and was only able to rise so high because of the support of his fellow sports fans.

Yeah I think a lot of the people on here who do like Simmons were fans of him from his Page2 days. Dude has worked his *** off.

jakedajewler
06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
He is a goofy idiot, can't stand him

redsoxknicks
06-28-2013, 01:03 PM
He has gotten increasingly hard to listen to. You can literally hear his confidence and comfort grow by how much more he interrupts and talks.

His voice is nasally and kind of whiny, and so is his personality. I would much rather have Chris Webber on any panel instead of Simmons.

I am hopeful by him saying he is spread too thin and may leave NBA Countdown. Please do.

Edit: I did enjoy him calling out Doc. The one thing I agree with him on.

Bruno
06-28-2013, 01:06 PM
i'm a big BS fan. he's like having a fan on the panel, except he isn't a complete idiot/homer like most fans; he's a fan on the game. even watch his stuff outside of basketball. there's a great interview with him and louis ck on youtube.