PDA

View Full Version : NY Rangers Free Agent And Trade Thread (If no Rangers related link please put here)

Pages : [1] 2 3

jomota
06-27-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nhl/tampa-bay-lightning/story/Lightning-will-use-compliance-buyout-on-?blockID=915637&feedID=3720

Wouldn't mind picking him up. Have no idea how the $$$$ will add up.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-27-2013, 11:37 AM
We normally are not allowed to have off topic posts so I think a off season free agent and trade thread would be good to have so everyone can post articles like this that are not directly NY Rangers related.

I have not seen Vinny play much in the last 2 years but if he is anything like the Vinny of old count me in.

Al Trautwig
06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
I would love lecavalier here! To be able to get him on a cheap deal I would muh rather pay him what is being considers for clowe any day!! And he's a big shot on the pp good faceoffs leadership and skill!! He could be pretty awesome with nash

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd like to see them go after Bryan Bickell. Big body that can go to the net and play left wing.

apdamico
06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
We normally are not allowed to have off topic posts so I think a off season free agent and trade thread would be good to have so everyone can post articles like this that are not directly NY Rangers related.

I have not seen Vinny play much in the last 2 years but if he is anything like the Vinny of old count me in.

I'm onboard with this move too - buyout Richards and get Vinny!

metswon69
06-27-2013, 02:37 PM
I like the Vinny move because it's moving laterally talent wise with Richards and we don't have to be on the hook for the next 7 years with Brad.

I still say buy Richards out.

jomota
06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
I wonder how much of a push the Canadiens will make. You always hear they want him.

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I like the Vinny move because it's moving laterally talent wise with Richards and we don't have to be on the hook for the next 7 years with Brad.

I still say buy Richards out.

:clap::cheers::clap:

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
I wonder how much of a push the Canadiens will make. You always hear they want him.

You sure do i have heard that for the last 2-3 years

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Sign another pricey name on the back nine? Some will never learn

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 04:29 PM

It all depends price and years

metswon69
06-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Why is it the assumption that Brassard is automatically a 2nd line center?

Give me Lecavalier and his career resume over a guy who had a good half season with the Rangers.

Like Nyr2002 said it's dependent on price and years but he gives you a legitimate option in the short term without losing said production and having to pay Richards for the next 7 seasons.

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 05:24 PM
It all depends price and years

If he takes a discount to come to NY, he would be the first. Regardless, the typical bandwagon will fill flaunt yesterday's resume and think this guy will be any different. It never changes despite the reality that the team is finally stable by building from within and EVERY pricey FA signing has failed.

metswon69
06-27-2013, 05:29 PM
If he takes a discount to come to NY, he would be the first. Regardless, the typical bandwagon will fill flaunt yesterday's resume and think this guy will be any different. It never changes despite the reality that the team is finally stable by building from within and EVERY pricey FA signing has failed.

So how do the Rangers replace 60+ points (maybe more) Richards might give them next year? Do you just stop signing FA altogether?

This team is built to compete now, if they are going to buy out Brad they better have a 2nd line center backup option.

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
So how do the Rangers replace 60+ points (maybe more) Richards might give them next year? Do you just stop signing FA altogether?

This team is built to compete now, if they are going to buy out Brad they better have a 2nd line center backup option.

How about not panicking for once and understand the cap ramifications? I also said "pricey" free agents which you missed.

metswon69
06-27-2013, 05:38 PM
How about not panicking for once and understand the cap ramifications? I also said "pricey" free agents which you missed.

I understand cap ramifications, how close they are to it's ceiling, and the escalating cap hit Richards has. That said, you can't drop the idea of a pricey FA either if the talent is premiere enough. That's like the Mets not pursuing free agents because of Jason Bay. Tell me they have to be more fiscally responsible and scout individual FA better, that's fine but the concept can't just be discarded with altogether.

There's also the issue of where do you get that production from when you are trying to win in the here and now? They need a Lecavalier type center as a backup option.

liltedspop
06-27-2013, 05:51 PM

right on!

Mr.Wiskers
06-27-2013, 06:22 PM
I'd take him, its not like if we have to pay him that contract---he's been broughtout already has his money. He'll be looking to sign with a contender, play with friends or a place he would like to live. I just can't see him asking or getting more than 3 yrs at 3 mil. per. Hopefully he and Richards are friends .

apdamico
06-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Mark Messier has left the Rangers’ organization.

Sorry to see Messier go, but we knew it would happen!

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 06:38 PM
I understand cap ramifications, how close they are to it's ceiling, and the escalating cap hit Richards has. That said, you can't drop the idea of a pricey FA either if the talent is premiere enough. That's like the Mets not pursuing free agents because of Jason Bay. Tell me they have to be more fiscally responsible and scout individual FA better, that's fine but the concept can't just be discarded with altogether.

There's also the issue of where do you get that production from when you are trying to win in the here and now? They need a Lecavalier type center as a backup option.

If you understood the cap ramifications you wouldn't be endorsing Richards return or concerned about replacing his blazing 60 points. Never said to "drop" the idea of pricey free agents but want no part of pricey free agents on the back 9. Should the Rangers and Mets still go after pricey back 9 free agents being they all failed? Hello? Like the Mets, the Rangers are still figuring out what they have but the solution is certainly not an aging player with a resume.

Lecavalier is just another name with a resume attached. He's not the same player and considering your endorsement of Richards I can't take your perception of Vincent too seriously. Sry,

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post

right on!

Amazing, isn't it?

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 06:41 PM
I'd, play with friends or a place he would like to live. I just can't see him asking or getting more than 3 yrs at 3 mil. per. Hopefully he and Richards are friends .

Maybe St. Louis can come too?

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 06:52 PM

You assume he is going to command a high dollar contract but with the cap dropping I am going to wait and see what market value will be for guys like him and Briere before I make assumptions based on nothing

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 06:55 PM

You assume he is going to command a high dollar contract but with the cap dropping I am going to wait and see what market value will be for guys like him and Briere before I make assumptions based on nothing

Like I clearly said, if he comes to NY on a discount to the Rangers, he would be the first. That's not an assumption, that's a fact and those believing he would come to NY at a discount is more of an assumption that the track record indicates. Regardless, he's just another back 9 resume.

metswon69
06-27-2013, 07:03 PM
If you understood the cap ramifications you wouldn't be endorsing Richards return or concerned about replacing his blazing 60 points. Never said to "drop" the idea of pricey free agents but want no part of pricey free agents on the back 9. Should the Rangers and Mets still go after pricey back 9 free agents being they all failed? Hello? Like the Mets, the Rangers are still figuring out what they have but the solution is certainly not an aging player with a resume.

Lecavalier is just another name with a resume attached. He's not the same player and considering your endorsement of Richards I can't take your perception of Vincent too seriously. Sry,

I never said I endorsed Richards, in fact 12 posts ago i said buy Richards out.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?825574-NY-Rangers-Off-Season-Free-Agent-And-Trade-Thread&p=26530019#post26530019

Do you read what i say or just hear what you want to hear?

You can get Lecavalier at quite a discount to what you are paying Richards (in total) and still have a 2nd line center for the here and now. Is this team looking to compete now or 4-5 years from now when Lundqvist is 36 years old and the roster could look entirely different?

I understand they have to worry about cap implications but they don't have an impact center near ready in their farm system to just plug in and say here go be our 2nd line center with similar production to Brad Richards or a Brad Richardsesque type player.

How is Lecavalier a 3rd line center btw with 32 points in 39 games last year?

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Honestly, **** Lecavalier. He's been on a decline for the past several years and he's always got some nagging injury.

metswon69
06-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Honestly, **** Lecavalier. He's been on a decline for the past several years and he's always got some nagging injury.

Well i pose the same question to you that i posed to NYSports, what do the Rangers do if they buyout Brad Richards? I mean all these other similar options to Richards or Lecavalier are going to go for the same cap hit Brad is going for now annually.

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Well i pose the same question to you that i posed to NYSports, what do the Rangers do if they buyout Brad Richards? I mean all these other similar options to Richards or Lecavalier are going to go for the same cap hit Brad is going for now annually.

Not sign a declining and banged up Lecavalier. There's other players out there. Go get some depth. Why do we have to go after the has-been with the sexy name?

jomota
06-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Lecavalier is a good player and would help this team. He's a presence in front of the net and an excellent passer. A change of scenery may do him well.

Having said all that, the Canadiens have said to interested in him for years. Now if they can get him without a trade and it's just a matter of $$$$, there's a good chance he winds up there.

metswon69
06-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Not sign a declining and banged up Lecavalier. There's other players out there. Go get some depth. Why do we have to go after the has-been with the sexy name?

Because they need a 2nd line center imo with unproven Brassard. Depending on what Lecavalier is signed for he could be a good pickup.

bsi
06-27-2013, 07:41 PM
If the buyout or a trade for Richards comes I'd want to invest our money in a winger like Bickel or Clarkson or if we thought Clowe would be healthy than I'd be good with him. We need some size, skill and grit in our top six, all three of those guys can bring that.

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Because they need a 2nd line center imo with unproven Brassard. Depending on what Lecavalier is signed for he could be a good pickup.

I agree that Brassard is somewhat unproven but I think the left side of the ice is a bigger priority. If we don't make some signings we're going to end up with Pyatt and Hagelin in the top six. I'm more comfortable bith Brassard there.

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 07:49 PM
If the buyout or a trade for Richards comes I'd want to invest our money in a winger like Bickel or Clarkson or if we thought Clowe would be healthy than I'd be good with him. We need some size, skill and grit in our top six, all three of those guys can bring that.

I'm all for Bickell. I think Clarkson kind of a dumbass and I don't know if he'll be a top six guy.

bsi
06-27-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm all for Bickell. I think Clarkson kind of a dumbass and I don't know if he'll be a top six guy.

Ya, from what I saw of Bickel this playoffs he looked real good, but what's he gonna want for salary? His strong playoffs and the view that you need players like him, Lucic etc to succeed in the playoffs will likely make him big money and a big risk to sign as he's never played at this level before really. Clarkson is probably less of a gamble in the fact that he's strung together two good seasons in a row, but still a gamble I guess. Thing is we need someone like that, I think Clowe is the guy but his concussion issue is something that's very concerning for a player of his style.

IAmARanger18
06-27-2013, 10:06 PM
I would love for us to add both Bickell and Stalberg but hey I will settle for one, Bickell preferably

Al Trautwig
06-27-2013, 11:33 PM
buyout richards and dont resign clowe. SIgn lecavalier to 3 yrs- 3.5 mil and danny brierre 2 yrs 2mil. Were loaded on the PP and down the middle and that still saves us cap room to sign a bickell or the like and gives us much more depth. when are we really gonna get the chance to sign guys like that to such small risk contracts. small risk high reward!

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Ya, from what I saw of Bickel this playoffs he looked real good, but what's he gonna want for salary? His strong playoffs and the view that you need players like him, Lucic etc to succeed in the playoffs will likely make him big money and a big risk to sign as he's never played at this level before really. Clarkson is probably less of a gamble in the fact that he's strung together two good seasons in a row, but still a gamble I guess. Thing is we need someone like that, I think Clowe is the guy but his concussion issue is something that's very concerning for a player of his style.

Health aside bsi we can't give him 5/25

bsi
06-28-2013, 02:40 AM
buyout richards and dont resign clowe. SIgn lecavalier to 3 yrs- 3.5 mil and danny brierre 2 yrs 2mil. Were loaded on the PP and down the middle and that still saves us cap room to sign a bickell or the like and gives us much more depth. when are we really gonna get the chance to sign guys like that to such small risk contracts. small risk high reward!

It's already being talked about that Lecavalier is going to command over 5 per on the open market with as many as 15 teams interested.

IAmARanger18
06-29-2013, 02:32 AM
I don't want Clowe back, guy barely played for us and it costs us another 2nd round pick, no thanks. Rather have Gordie find another solid player in round 2 then waste it giving it away

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Rangers I would consider trading while their value is high if we could get a great deal.

Nash (Skills and size but soft)
Girardi (I like everything about him but I feel his value may drop in future)
Cally (I like Cally but would move if a great price can be had)
Boyle (To Van to be reunited with Torts)

Players with skill and speed who I feel we might be able to pick up on the cheap who may have fallen out of favor a bit.

Kessell
Skinner

Perry/Ryan (Make a call. See if either are available)

nyr1980
06-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Prominent story today out of Boston that not only will Nathan Horton be testing UFA waters, but that the Bruins are very much making Tyler Seguin available. Price is reportedly to be very high, 3 significant assets, i.e. 1st round pick (preferably a high one, which the Rangers do not possess this year), plus a significant prospect, plus likely a player of some value off the NHL roster.

Should the Rangers examine this as an option, and if so, what kind of offer could they piece together for Seguin, especially without a 1st rounder this year.

Seguin is only 21 and a dynamic talent who has yet to realize his full potential. His best hockey is most definitely in front of him and he is in a rough place in Boston, caught behind Krejci and Bergeron, who are not likely to relinquish ice time as the B's top 2 centers. Seguin is the kind of kid a team can build an offense around for 8-10 seasons; a potential all-star and a player with truly elite talent.

Would you give something like:

JT Miller
Dylan McIlrath
plus a defenseman or forward of reason off the roster for him?

This is definitely something the Rangers should look into, at least kick the tires on and see if they can maybe negotiate a reasonable price.

It would erase any doubts of who is the Number one center in the future really is, and with the new CBA and fewer premium players reaching FA status in their primes now and moving forward, they may not have a better opportunity than this to acquire of this level of talent, at such a young age, in the future.

What say you?

redwhiteandblue
06-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm fickle. He's a top talent and will be a prominent star in the future. If we get him, Richards would probably be bought out this year or next, regardless of what they said, but more likely next.

I would do Hagelin, JT Miller and CT or another prospect.

nyr1980
06-29-2013, 07:02 PM
I will say, in addendum to the above, that a type of deal like this has the potential to shake up the roster as the Nash deal did last year, further altering the roster and potentially causing some issues. I think this is less of a concern as Torts is gone, but it is not something that can be ignored.

I do think that given the ice time with top players, Seguin is an immediate 30-goal, point per game guy. I think his future is now as he is now 3 seasons and 200-plus regular season and playoff games into his career.

redwhiteandblue
06-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I don't seem to consider that as strongly as 2 years ago. The locker room and team chemistry we boasted 2 years ago is gone, I don't believe it's in a precious state where we would have to worry about it. We shook that up, the core remains (Cally, Hank, Step, McD, Staal, Girardi) though, so if it were a move for a guy like Seguin I'm okay with all of that.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Id like to get Tyler but hope to see Dylan play as a Ranger. JT for sure. Maybe Cally and JT?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22573974/nhl-rumors-bruins-shopping-tyler-seguin

fingerbang
06-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Seguin is going to cost a lot.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Maybe they will give him up like they did Thornton. I'd be willing to give Cally and JT. I'd also like to try to trade Boyle to Van if we could get a solid return.

fingerbang
06-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Maybe they will give him up like they did Thornton. I'd be willing to give Cally and JT. I'd also like to try to trade Boyle to Van if we could get a solid return.

Boston didn't think they were giving up Thornton for cheap, they just screwed up. O'Connell thought Stuart was one of the best defenseman in the league and for whatever reason Sturm was really overrated back then. I don't even know if Cally and JT would be enough. Seguin is a potential superstar and he's got a great two way game. I don't understand why they'd trade him unless they were completely blown away.

nyr1980
06-29-2013, 07:52 PM

I don't like the idea of trading Cally. Nor do I think Kreider should be in the mix. But Miller, maybe MDZ, and maybe McIlrath, or some combination like that.

It may be moot. Boston maybe shopping him expressly because they like someone high in this years draft and are wanting to move up to take that player, and will be looking to strike a deal with a team picking in the top 5, with Seguin as the center piece of any such deal.. But if they are just looking to add some pieces to bolster some spots, and re-load for another run at the cup before Chara is done, then I think a guy like Miller, who could really fit there as a 3rd line center or maybe on the wing, is a really nice piece for them.

I do think that maybe they're in a spot with Seguin. I think they love his skill set at center, but I also think that he's not really able to play the wing full-time, and they see that, and they can't possibly justify pulling Krejci or Bergeron out of the top 2 center spots as they've played so well and have been huge for them in two cup runs and one cup win. Plus, I don't think Seguin is too wild about the idea of playing the wing, but that's just my opinion.

nyr1980
06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Boston didn't think they were giving up Thornton for cheap, they just screwed up. O'Connell thought Stuart was one of the best defenseman in the league and for whatever reason Sturm was really overrated back then. I don't even know if Cally and JT would be enough. Seguin is a potential superstar and he's got a great two way game. I don't understand why they'd trade him unless they were completely blown away.

That they did. Plus, they were somewhat over a barrel as Thornton was not happy in Boston and did not really want to sign a long-term deal with the B's. Stuart was the big piece in the deal going to Boston, and despite being a very quality and productive player for them, he was not the producer they thought he'd be.

What, in your opinion, would blow them away?

I think, in the end, that the Rangers should explore it. However, I doubt strongly they could/would get him, nor do I think they should break the bank for him or pursue it to the end.

That being send, they would be downright foolish to not make the calls, find out the cost, and at least examine the possibility of making an offer that is fair and reasonable.

But I think you're probably right- I'd want a really impressive package if I'm Chiarelli. I posted it cause I think it is a really cool and interesting talking point as Seguin is so young, so talented, and players like that rarely become available with their prime in front of them.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I think this team can use Dylan's type of game so I would like to keep him. Last season I saw Cally take some "shortcuts" that I never saw before. That made me wonder if he will be the same player in the future. He became a very good player by hustling more than anyone but sooner or later that motor may slow. Actually I think it did last season for whatever reason.

JT
Cally
Boyle
A draft pick or a prospect (not Dylan)

fingerbang
06-29-2013, 08:16 PM
That they did. Plus, they were somewhat over a barrel as Thornton was not happy in Boston and did not really want to sign a long-term deal with the B's. Stuart was the big piece in the deal going to Boston, and despite being a very quality and productive player for them, he was not the producer they thought he'd be.

What, in your opinion, would blow them away?

I think, in the end, that the Rangers should explore it. However, I doubt strongly they could/would get him, nor do I think they should break the bank for him or pursue it to the end.

That being send, they would be downright foolish to not make the calls, find out the cost, and at least examine the possibility of making an offer that is fair and reasonable.

But I think you're probably right- I'd want a really impressive package if I'm Chiarelli. I posted it cause I think it is a really cool and interesting talking point as Seguin is so young, so talented, and players like that rarely become available with their prime in front of them.

Seguin is like a Jonathan Toews type player but with potenitally more goal scoring ability. He and Hall were basically the 1a and 1b prospects in the 2010 draft. I don't think a JT Miller, who a lot of people project as a third line center is going to really mean much to them. A 21 year old Seguin has a lot more value than basically anyone that's been traded in recent years.

I don't even know how to speculate that trade. I'm sure they'd ask for the farm, a bunch of picks, and someone that could help them right now.

NYSPORTS98
06-29-2013, 08:43 PM
http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nhl/...37&feedID=3720

Wouldn't mind picking him up. Have no idea how the $$$$ will add up.

The Rangers dollars are for Richards. Get used to it.

NYG4Life
06-30-2013, 02:17 AM
The idea of us trading cally is absolutely idiotic, he is our captain and the hear and soul of our team, plus he is great on the power play. seguin is a pipe dream it would cost at least miller krieder, mcillrath and 2 1st rounders way too much seeing as how we dont have a first this year or a second the next years. even if boston does trade him which i doubt they will i guarantee they send him to the opposite conference or league whatever it is with this realignment bs

J4KOP99
06-30-2013, 03:27 AM
I have a feeling mcd would have to be involved in any seguin talks

bsi
06-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I think the only way we'd maybe get Seguin is if we sent Brassard and Boyle back maybe and some sort of pick maybe that 2nd we were gonna have to give up for Clowe and maybe Bourque to Boston might be a bit of nostalgia for them too, if we need to add a different prospect then so be it. With Boston losing Horton, Boyle might be a player they'd want for some size, Brassard was on fire after he got here, he's a former first pick and then the add ons just add value, but Boyle and Brassards cap hit make some room for Seguin who has a very cap friendly contract signed until 2018.

bsi
06-30-2013, 07:44 AM
That first line looks deadly, it addresses a point man for the PP as well. It's dreaming ofcourse and I think Boston will want a high first round pick for him really, something we don't have. One can dream I guess haha.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tyler Seguin ($5.750m) / Derek Stepan ($4.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($1.250m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.250m)
Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) / Darroll Powe ($1.067m) / Arron Asham ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Ryan McDonagh ($3.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,450,833; BONUSES: $1,287,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $4,136,667.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 10:50 AM
The idea of us trading cally is absolutely idiotic, he is our captain and the hear and soul of our team, plus he is great on the power play. seguin is a pipe dream it would cost at least miller krieder, mcillrath and 2 1st rounders way too much seeing as how we dont have a first this year or a second the next years. even if boston does trade him which i doubt they will i guarantee they send him to the opposite conference or league whatever it is with this realignment bs

Cally is our captain but the NHL is a business. There are few players that are untouchable in the NHL if a team can better themselves for the future. We should not actively look to trade Cally but if there is a player like Seguin available I do not see a reason he should not be included in a possible trade. In 2009 Chris Drury was our captain. He was coming off seasons of 22 and 25 goals (56 and 58 points) for us. Would it have been idiotic to trade him at that time? I have had my favorite players traded. I always hate it but sadly it is part of professional sports. If we can make a deal for Seguin I would be open to Cally being part of it if the Bruins want him.

liltedspop
06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
heard a little tidbit Rangers talking to Tampa Bay about Stamkos. Stepan,MDZ & Hagelin names mentioned.

NYSPORTS98
06-30-2013, 11:02 AM
heard a little tidbit Rangers talking to Tampa Bay about Stamkos. Stepan,MDZ & Hagelin names mentioned.

Don't tease me like that :)

NYSPORTS98
06-30-2013, 11:14 AM
#mnwild trades defenseman Justin Falk to the #NYR for winger Benn Ferriero and a 2014 sixth

nyr2002nyr
06-30-2013, 11:21 AM
#mnwild trades defenseman Justin Falk to the #NYR for winger Benn Ferriero and a 2014 sixth

The only ? Is why?

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 11:23 AM
The only ? Is why?

NHL/AHL depth? Maybe they see something in him? Maybe part of a plan to trade one of our own dmen?

NYSPORTS98
06-30-2013, 11:24 AM

The only ? Is why?

He's likely going to trade one of the existing defenseman. Then again, it is Sather.

nyr2002nyr
06-30-2013, 11:29 AM
NHL/AHL depth? Maybe they see something in him? Maybe part of a plan to trade one of our own dmen?

Well it's obvious he has no offensive ability on d do I'm still not sure why

nyr1980
06-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Did you hear that from the same guy who sold Jack his magic beanstalk beans?

NYSPORTS98
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Did you hear that from the same guy who sold Jack his magic beanstalk beans?

One Larry Brooks' finest un-named sources

bsi
06-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Justin Faulk is a big D man I think around 6' 5" , he's only 24 and we gave up zip for him.Organizational depth at D I guess, a better option than Bickel as your 7th.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Sometimes you never know. When Stralman was picked up most people did not think twice about him but he turned out pretty well. Sometimes its just a roll of the dice.

fingerbang
06-30-2013, 01:06 PM

LTP is back with his bs rumors.

Mr.Wiskers
06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
There was a rumor that Sather was talking to Tampa, but no one mentioned any players---I assumed Sather was offering to take Lecavelier and his 7+mil. per. off of the Ligntnings hands for a 1st Rd pick----so that we could buy him out, pay him his money but get a 1st Rd pick. OR switch Richards and a 3rd for Lecavelier and a 1st, they could buyout Richards( who's contract was front loaded--so Tampa would pay less to buy him out than it would cost to buyout Lecavelier, who contract was back loaded).

bsi
06-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Sather has been talking to Toronto a lot apparently...not sure what's being discussed though.

bsi
06-30-2013, 03:08 PM
I was told that the Rangers have been offering Marc Staal to Carolina for either Skinner or the 5th pick. As well I'm told Hagelin and Boyle might be in play as well with some talk about getting Edler from Vancouver as well.

Mr.Wiskers
06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
I could see MDZ and Boyle being in play because MDZ could make 4 mil. This year and he would fall behind McDonagh,Girardi,Moore and Staal on the depth chart and Boyle would pretty much lose his center position to Stepan,Richards,Bressard and Powe---plus his salary---for a 4th line player.

J4KOP99
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Lol about that stamkos "rumor"

bsi
06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Lamourello stole Corey Schneider from Vancouver.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
We do not have 4-5 years to develop a draft pick in a trade for Staal so if he was to be traded I would hope it would be a NHL player that could play right away or a great prospect that was only 1-2 years away.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I can not even say how many times I heard that Luongo was going to be traded or dought out in the last 2 years. Interesting that they are trading the other guy. I think Luongo even figured one way or another he would be gone.

fingerbang
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Gillis is a moron.

redwhiteandblue
06-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Gillis is a ****ing moron. The goaltending in our (future) division is stacked. Lundqvist, Schneider/Brodeur, Bobrovsky, Holtby, Fluery, Philly buying out Bryz haha, and the other teams are potentially looking for new options every day.

Can't wait to see our pick. Always excited when we have GC.

IAmARanger18
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Gillis is a ****ing moron. The goaltending in our (future) division is stacked. Lundqvist, Schneider/Brodeur, Bobrovsky, Holtby, Fluery, Philly buying out Bryz haha, and the other teams are potentially looking for new options every day.

Can't wait to see our pick. Always excited when we have GC.

And Cam Ward.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Looks like the plan is to resign Step. McD, Hags, and Mats leaving us with 1-2 mill in cap room. We will trade or let Clowe walk. I do not think that is enough to be a great team. I think we need to make more moves if possible.

I'm not sold on some of our players going in to the future at forward. I'd like to package some guys and bring in another top line player. I'd like to roll 3 good scoring lines and 1 checking line. I'd prefer not to roll 2 lines of scrubs or grinders.

liltedspop
07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
LTP is back with his bs rumors.

LTP rules the rumor mill boys!

rocowear21
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Fully agree sly. I am not sold on our team being a cup contender right now. Unless for some reason this coach comes in and changes our offense dramatically. I am for trading a player like delzotto to a team that needs D for a scoring LW. We have the depth on D now and I believe moore is already a better version of DZ

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Lets keep the topic on the Rangers and possible players who can become Rangers not on other posters please. Rumors even without links are welcome in this thread. :)

Lots of people mentioned Staal to Carolina. I have to feel that is about the family connection. I'd like to keep Staal if he will recover from his injury. On the other hand I would be open to us trading for Kessel or Skinner if we can on the cheap.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Well, right now, some fans are getting exactly what they wanted. Some fans felt this team should have gone farther and that the coach lost the team. Well, here is your team. If it was the coach, no changes should be made.

It's hypocritical if it was the coach and now you want changes. Especially considering the team almost won the President's trophy and many changes were made during a strike/lockout shortened season. Can't have it both ways fellas.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
We always want to improve the team every single season regardless of who the coach is. Even champion teams seek to improve their team if finances allow. While I like Brass and Moore this team does not have Gabs on its roster anymore. That is a big loss upfront. I have had my teams lose players and coaches that I liked a lot. It is always hard but at some point you have to move on. You are free to root for Torts in Van (I root for former Rangers in many cities) but AV is our coach now.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
It's not a question of Torts, it's a question of direction. Fans didn't bark out, "the team isn't talented enough and the coach has to go". The vast majority blamed the coach with claims this roster should have gone farther. Now they want roster changes? Wait, the team almost won the Presidents trophy year earlier.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I understand the point you are trying to make. I just do not agree. Whether the coach stayed or went we would be trying to improve the roster just like we do every season. I remember when the Giants won the Superbowl in 1986 that did not stop them from trying to improve the roster by adding 3 new WR.

This roster was thought to be loaded at the beginning of last season. Many fans and "experts" thought we had the talent to be in the cup. Now Gabs is Gone. Brad was almost gone. Those players were thought to be 2 of our 3 most talented forwards.

I understand you liked Torts. I hate losing my favorite players so I understand your feelings but if you can I hope we can leave the coach debates for the coaching related threads when possible.

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 01:38 PM
We always want to improve the team every single season regardless of who the coach is. Even champion teams seek to improve their team if finances allow. While I like Brass and Moore this team does not have Gabs on its roster anymore. That is a big loss upfront. I have had my teams lose players and coaches that I liked a lot. It is always hard but at some point you have to move on. You are free to root for Torts in Van (I root for former Rangers in many cities) but AV is our coach now.

Not saying that this is lost on you Sly as I believe you realize this, but Gabs would not have been back this summer anyway. His cap hit was big, and with only 1 year left on his deal, he would undoubtedly had been dealt. I think they dealt him at the right time as his value would only have fallen further if he continued to not score. They got a nice package of younger, cheaper, talented players in Brass and Moore back for him, and Dorsett looks like a nice 3rd line agitator who can pot 10-15 goals, fight a bit, be physical etc.

Letting Clowe walk is the right move. I liked that they picked him up, but they paid too much for him, and another pick to re-sign him is something they can't do after giving up picks for both him and Nash.

I like that they are taking a roll of the dice on Richards. I know they run the risk of injury, but he's not been prone to such in his career (50 games lost to injury in 12 seasons.) and I don't honestly believe he simply forgot how to play, or lost a large amount of his ability in a matter of months. I believe there is some very good, highly productive hockey left in him.

I also like the prospect of a guy like Kreider really coming along this season and becoming a legit scorer in the NHL. I believe Kreider's presence may heavily offset the loss of Gabs, who is now 31 and a player driven by his legs and skating who is entering the latter stages of his production, and I believe we may see more out of Hags and MZA this season under AV.

That being said, I think they should examine putting together a package in some combination of guys like MDZ, Hags, MZA, Boyle, and maybe a prospect for another nice forward.

I love our group of defenseman, and believe their is enough depth there to move one of them, as long as it is not MCD or Girardi.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Not saying that this is lost on you Sly as I believe you realize this, but Gabs would not have been back this summer anyway. His cap hit was big, and with only 1 year left on his deal, he would undoubtedly had been dealt. I think they dealt him at the right time as his value would only have fallen further if he continued to not score. They got a nice package of younger, cheaper, talented players in Brass and Moore back for him, and Dorsett looks like a nice 3rd line agitator who can pot 10-15 goals, fight a bit, be physical etc.

Letting Clowe walk is the right move. I liked that they picked him up, but they paid too much for him, and another pick to re-sign him is something they can't do after giving up picks for both him and Nash.

I like that they are taking a roll of the dice on Richards. I know they run the risk of injury, but he's not been prone to such in his career (50 games lost to injury in 12 seasons.) and I don't honestly believe he simply forgot how to play, or lost a large amount of his ability in a matter of months. I believe there is some very good, highly productive hockey left in him.

I also like the prospect of a guy like Kreider really coming along this season and becoming a legit scorer in the NHL. I believe Kreider's presence may heavily offset the loss of Gabs, who is now 31 and a player driven by his legs and skating who is entering the latter stages of his production, and I believe we may see more out of Hags and MZA this season under AV.

That being said, I think they should examine putting together a package in some combination of guys like MDZ, Hags, MZA, Boyle, and maybe a prospect for another nice forward.

I love our group of defenseman, and believe their is enough depth there to move one of them, as long as it is not MCD or Girardi.

I agree with a lot that you just said although I think Gabs would still be here for this upcoming season if he had a 40 goal (prorated) season and was healthy. If he had a Gabs like season he may have been traded during next seasons deadline if we would not resign him or if we had a poor season.

I think the loss of a game breaker like Gabs is why I want to see that speed and skill replaced upfront. I agree with you that we should try to package some quantity for quality. I'm not a NHL GM. I do not even play one in fantasy sports but I would look in a direction that you mentioned.

I would try to get any pick or prospect possible for Clowes rights.

I would look to trade Boyle for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to Van

I would look to package Cally, a draft pick and a lesser prospect for 1st line player.

I would keep my eye on Kessell and see if Tor wants to move him.

I would be open to moving Girardi who I like a lot if Staal is able to come back 100%. I say that because he has huge miles on him.

Regarding Brad he is on a 1 year deal now. Because of his long term deal he will never be a Ranger come August 2014 no matter how well he plays. Not Brads fault. Just a cap casualty.

I'd keep Hags. We need his speed.

I'd keep MZA. Few players if any will get you 50 points and shootout wins for 1.5 mill a year.

I think guys like Cally and Girardi have been great for the team but I fear they will decline due to age and taking a lot of hits/pucks over the years. The only reason I would move them is to sell high not low.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 01:50 PM
This roster was thought to be loaded at the beginning of last season. Many fans and "experts" thought we had the talent to be in the cup. Now Gabs is Gone. Brad was almost gone. Those players were thought to be 2 of our 3 most talented forwards.

How many times do I have to repeat it has nothing to do with Torts. The above is the problem. People think this roster is talented and I've said, non-stop, how it's similar to the early 1990 team. In fact, that team might have been better. This roster is weak and only won b/c of a solid goaltender and 4 lines which rotated non-stop. They played like Devils but they had smaller players.

This was not a Stanley Cup team and the experts were as lost as they were on draft day. The same media darlings that predict Stanley Cup, World Series & Super Bowl favorites based on offseason hype. How is Gomez, Drury, Robatallie, Holik & company doing? Just about as well as Gabby and Turcotte, I mean Hagelin.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
This team had plenty of talent coming in to the previous season.

Gabs coming off another 40 goal year
Nash a multi time all star 30-40 goal scorer
Richards a 70-90 point scorer each year
Stepan coming off a solid sophomore season looking to get better
Cally a 25-30 goal scorer/hitter
Hags the fastest man in the NHL coming off a nice rookie season
Kreider coming off a nice playoff debut

McD looking like a future all star if not a possible future Norris winner
Staal a former all star
Girardi an all star
MDZ coming off a 40 point year

Lundy playing like 1 of the 2 best goalies in the NHL

That is far from a team that did not have reasons to be hopeful based on their talent coming in to last season.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Let me ask you, what do you love about them? I like McD but, how many are light years a head of Alexander Karpotsev or Doug Lidster? Are they as good or much better than Jay Wells or Kevin Lowe? We know Staal doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Beukeboom.

Respectfully, what is there to really love? I'm not even naming James Patrick, Sergi Zubov or Mr. Leetch.

Keep in mind the Devils defenders over the years. How do these Rangers guys match up? Is there anything dynamic about them?

fingerbang
07-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Let me ask you, what do you love about them? I like McD but, how many are light years a head of Alexander Karpotsev or Doug Lidster? Are they as good or much better than Jay Wells or Kevin Lowe? We know Staal doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Beukeboom.

Respectfully, what is there to really love? I'm not even naming James Patrick, Sergi Zubov or Mr. Leetch.

Keep in mind the Devils defenders over the years. How do these Rangers guys match up? Is there anything dynamic about them?

Staal and McDonagh are good players. Better than any defenseman currently playing for the Devils.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Kevin Lowe was a very good dman. Much better than Karpotsev, Lidster, and Wells.

Girardi and Staal have both been all star players

McD is a future all star

MDZ is not an all star but he is a kid that can get you 40-50 points a season if on his game and given some room.

We do not have a Scott Stevens or a Scott Niedemyer but neither do the Devils now.

Would I like to have a Brian Leetch right now? Yes but so would every team in the NHL.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:19 PM
This team had plenty of talent coming in to the previous season.

Gabs coming off another 40 goal year - ok, but nothing physical
Nash a multi time all star 30-40 goal scorer ok, new team and I believe he's legit
Richards a 70-90 point scorer each year Aging veteran who played in a wide open West. "It just hasn't been a Richards type year" is what I said we would hear year one. That's exactly what happened.
Stepan coming off a solid sophomore season looking to get better That's nice but who does his pass the biscuit to? Who give him the puck?
Cally a 25-30 goal scorer/hitter Yup, we love Cally. Let me ask you (and maybe it's not fair but) who are you taking, a young Cally or young Adam Graves?
Hags the fastest man in the NHL coming off a nice rookie season Darren Tucrotte, that speed means nothing if all you do is score on the rush and occasionally get into position. His instincts are average or below IMO
Kreider coming off a nice playoff debut not exactly something to bank on.

McD looking like a future all star if not a possible future Norris winner I don't believe that perception to be close to reality
Staal a former all star com'on, seriously? He doesn't even weigh 210 lbs, adds nothing to the offense and doesn't scare anybody skating into the Rangers end. He's nice but, yikes
Girardi an all star another PP gem
MDZ coming off a 40 point year he's the legit one

Lundy playing like 1 of the 2 best goalies in the NHL there are a few kings in net across the league.

Let's take look back to the 1991/92 team

Bernie Nicholls
Mike Gartner
Darren Turcotte
Ray Sheppard
John Ogrodnick
Brian Mullen
Kelly Kisio

Brian Leetch
James Patrick
Sergi Zubov

Richter and Vanbiesbrouck in net

The following year they added and subtracted some. Tony Amonte, Adam Graves, Doug Weight. How do these kids compare????? I'm not sure this team is better and people are thinking Stanley Cup????

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Kevin Lowe was a very good dman. Much better than Karpotsev, Lidster, and Wells.

Girardi and Staal have both been all star players

McD is a future all star

MDZ is not an all star but he is a kid that can get you 40-50 points a season if on his game and given some room.

We do not have a Scott Stevens or a Scott Niedemyer but neither do the Devils now.

Would I like to have a Brian Leetch right now? Yes but so would every team in the NHL.

Sounds like you're quite happy with a bunch of defenseman who not only lack speed but none have a shot or demonstrated they can QB a PP. That's a Stanley Cup contender according the media. They're wrong

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Putting names like Leetch, Stevens, or Niedermayer out there is ridiculous. These are HOF defensemen, which are tremendous rarities in the sport. Franchise caliber, elite defensemen are extremely hard to come by. Also, defensemen take a long time to develop.

That being said, the Rangers have one of the best groups of defensemen in the NHL. Hank gets a ton of credit, as he should, but much of the success they've had defensively over the past 8 seasons has to be attributed to the way they've gotten their D to play, under both Torts and Renney. Top 9 in the league in GA 8 years running, top 5 in the league 4 times in that span, including the last 3 years. You don't do that just because of your goalie.

It is a very good group of defensemen. Few teams are better, top to bottom, on the blueline than the Rangers. Add in McIlrath this year hopefully, and they could still improve. Their strength in goal and on the blueline is I think the biggest reason Torts adopted the style he did- You build and play to your strength. Torts damned himself by not adjusting to the change in composition amongst the forwards, but the goalie and group of D are there still and will continue to be a strength moving forward. Enough of a strength I think, that they could deal out of their top-4, if they feel strongly enough in the ability of guys like Moore and McIlrath, and add a forward.

Top-4 defensemen are very valuable and can bring back a nice piece or package- especially at the deadline, the draft, or during FA period.

bsi
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I personally liked our team at the start of this year better than I do now. If we could have just added Moore and without Gaborik going back I think we're a legit Stanley cup team with that roster, however Tortorella once again was sick of Gaborik just like he was sick of Dubinsky and at the end Richards and we ended up shipping our best goal scorer in years away. 40 goal scorers don't fall in your lap every day.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Let's take look back to the 1991/92 team

Bernie Nicholls
Mike Gartner
Darren Turcotte
Ray Sheppard
John Ogrodnick
Brian Mullen
Kelly Kisio

Brian Leetch
James Patrick
Sergi Zubov

Richter and Vanbiesbrouck in net

The following year they added and subtracted some. Tony Amonte, Adam Graves, Doug Weight. How do these kids compare????? I'm not sure this team is better and people are thinking Stanley Cup????

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make or even if you have the years right.

In regards to the currents players your commented on. You could point out the weaknesses in almost every player in the league. Guys usually make all star teams when they are good players.

In regards to the 1991-1992 team they had Messier and they did not have Zubov. They had 105 points and lost to the eventual cup champions.

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I personally liked our team at the start of this year better than I do now. If we could have just added Moore and without Gaborik going back I think we're a legit Stanley cup team with that roster, however Tortorella once again was sick of Gaborik just like he was sick of Dubinsky and at the end Richards and we ended up shipping our best goal scorer in years away. 40 goal scorers don't fall in your lap every day.

I agree that losing a player like Gabs sucks a bit. But I don't know that with his contract and the cap being what it is, he'd have been back this year. Also, at 31, a history of injuries, and being a player driven by his speed, how much more time, if any, does he have left as 40-goal guy? I still think he's a top-6, but I don't know if he is a huge scorer anymore.

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM

I agree that losing a player like Gabs sucks a bit. But I don't know that with his contract and the cap being what it is, he'd have been back this year. Also, at 31, a history of injuries, and being a player driven by his speed, how much more time, if any, does he have left as 40-goal guy? I still think he's a top-6, but I don't know if he is a huge scorer anymore.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you're quite happy with a bunch of defenseman who not only lack speed but none have a shot or demonstrated they can QB a PP. That's a Stanley Cup contender according the media. They're wrong

I would probably put McD's skating and Moore's skating up against any two defenseman from other teams.

Girardi is not a burner but that is not his game.

Staal's issue is injuries not speed.

They are not PP qb's. I will agree with you there. Most of them are young and may evolve more.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM

That is what I was commenting on. In Gabs coming in to last season we had a top 10 forward (based on his scoring the previous season). I do not know if he will be that player in the future or not but we have to replace that game breaking ability one way or another.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:43 PM

I don't believe that perception is reality.

People were on Dubie non-stop last season. Forget his 3rd line, he had nobody to play with. That forechecking that both he and Ansimov did would wear down opponents. It's no different than what Nemchinov used to do. The Rangers took away some grit and added a superstar. Problem is, the rest of the team stinks on the boards.

Blaming Torts is ridiculous. No mention of Sather???? It's Sather's team, not Torts. Sather let the grit go in free agency and makes the trades. If Sather is such a genius, maybe he could have sent Kreider or Miller away and kept the grit in tact? Nobody wants to hear that b/c it's too short sighted yet look at us now. Blame the roster which is put together by the GM. No coach was beating the Bruins with this roster.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I would probably put McD's skating and Moore's skating up against any two defenseman from other teams.

They are not PP qb's. I will agree with you there. Most of them are young and may evolve more.

The Moore bandwagon is taking on fans but let's not speculate until we see something besides a flash (and that's all it was).

McD is a first line defender. The rest, are nice 2nd liners that offer nothing above average. None skate very well, hit very much, can thread the needle on a pass, QB the PP, shoot off the point or clear the front of the net. It's nice and borderline complimentary.

This team needs an offensive force on the back line and Dylan McIlrath to be the real deal. Otherwise, this backline will be an afterthought a few years from now.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make or even if you have the years right.

The point is obvious as fans thought that was a Stanley Cup team yet they were greatly exposed come playoff time. This group, player by player, might not even be as good as that team yet fans think they're a legit contender. They aren't and no coach is going to change that until this roster is upgraded with legit talent and rids itself of pretenders.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
The Moore bandwagon is taking on fans but let's not speculate until we see something besides a flash (and that's all it was).

McD is a first line defender. The rest, are nice 2nd liners that offer nothing above average. None skate very well, hit very much, can thread the needle on a pass, QB the PP, shoot off the point or clear the front of the net. It's nice and borderline complimentary.

This team needs an offensive force on the back line and Dylan McIlrath to be the real deal. Otherwise, this backline will be an afterthought a few years from now.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but why do you think the coaches chose Staal and Girardi as all star players if they are "nothing above average"?

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
That is what I was commenting on. In Gabs coming in to last season we had a top 10 forward (based on his scoring the previous season). I do not know if he will be that player in the future or not but we have to replace that game breaking ability one way or another.

Well maybe I'm overestimating his ability, but I think that guy is already in house in the way of Chris Kreider. He's 22 with great speed, skill, and size. I do think he needs to use his size some more, particularly on the walls, but he has the kind of skill set that elite scoring wingers have. He needs to play and get top-6 minutes. He has 35+ goals written all over him.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Not trying to beat a dead horse but why do you think the coaches chose Staal and Girardi as all star players if they are "nothing above average"?

Hey, waive the flag with a banner attached and claim the defense is awesome. Nothing wrong with 100% support and praise. I don't believe the opponents skating into the Rangers end are too concerned about their well being if their head is down nor do coaches sweat when any defender is carrying the puck up ice on a Rangers PP.

Certainly no rookie Bruins defenders took a back seat to any of the Rangers defenseman.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Hey, waive the flag with a banner attached and claim the defense is awesome. Nothing wrong with 100% support and praise. I don't believe the opponents skating into the Rangers end are too concerned about their well being if their head is down nor do coaches sweat when any defender is carrying the puck up ice on a Rangers PP.

Certainly no rookie Bruins defenders took a back seat to any of the Rangers defenseman.

I like dmen that hit. Barry Beck was one of my favorite dmen of all time. I'm looking forward to Dylan as well but things are not all or nothing in the NHL. Guys can hit some and skate some. I felt like I asked you a legit question about Staal and Girardi. When NHL coaches named Staal and Girardi all star players doesn't it mean they think they were above average? I was not saying our Dmen are all great or a perfect bunch but sometimes we have to see the positives not only the negatives in players.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Well maybe I'm overestimating his ability, but I think that guy is already in house in the way of Chris Kreider. He's 22 with great speed, skill, and size. I do think he needs to use his size some more, particularly on the walls, but he has the kind of skill set that elite scoring wingers have. He needs to play and get top-6 minutes. He has 35+ goals written all over him.

He has the skating.
He has the size.
He is a very good athlete. (Saw him jump over the bench once in an impressive manner after a OT goal)

Will he be a game breaker like Gabs? I'm not sure yet but I'm still hoping for a bigger yet poor mans version of Mike Gartner.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM

DelZotto all through his younger years was a PP qb, even in his first year here he was a PP qb, I think the constant nagging about defence has made him timid to move up the ice as much as he did in his first year. I think this year will be big for him with regards to the PP.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I like dmen that hit. Barry Beck was one of my favorite dmen of all time. I'm looking forward to Dylan as well but things are not all or nothing in the NHL. Guys can hit some and skate some. I felt like I asked you a legit question about Staal and Girardi. When NHL coaches named Staal and Girardi all star players doesn't it mean they think they were above average? I was not saying our Dmen are all great or a perfect bunch but sometimes we have to see the positives not only the negatives in players.

I think Girardi is nice but isn't in McD's league.

Staal, I believe he's riding the coat tails of his brothers. He's 6'4 and doesn't even weigh 210 lbs. I believe his lack of physical presence is the very reason they took McIlrath.

As far as who votes, looking at the draft tables yesterday and these guy on the mic (MIKE) during picks . . . let's just say it's not exactly the minds running the NFL.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:14 PM
The problem with this defence is that they play too much. Anyone that's played hockey at all knows that when you're on the ice too much it leads to bad decision making from fatigure. Take DelZotto and McDonagh off the PK and let them rest for 5 on 5 and PP and they'll play better offensively. We need to trust our bottom pair to play 10 mins a night, Torts barely trusted our 2nd pair to play.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM

Staal, I believe he's riding the coat tails of his brothers. He's 6'4 and doesn't even weigh 210 lbs. I believe his lack of physical presence is the very reason they took McIlrath.

As far as who votes, looking at the draft tables yesterday and these guy on the mic (MIKE) during picks . . . let's just say it's the minds running the NFL.

Staal isn't riding any coat tails. He's a perfect positional player, uses his body in a smart way to separate the player from the puck. Even with his injured last couple seasons he's being pencilled in for serious consideration for Team Canada's defence so I'm not even sure who you're watching because Staal was our best D until he got hit with the puck, by a lot.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
The problem with this defence is that they play too much. Anyone that's played hockey at all knows that when you're on the ice too much it leads to bad decision making from fatigure. Take DelZotto and McDonagh off the PK and let them rest for 5 on 5 and PP and they'll play better offensively. We need to trust our bottom pair to play 10 mins a night, Torts barely trusted our 2nd pair to play.

So MDZ is timid b/c the coach nagged him about defense while the rest are too tired. Interesting theory

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Staal isn't riding any coat tails. He's a perfect positional player, uses his body in a smart way to separate the player from the puck. Even with his injured last couple seasons he's being pencilled in for serious consideration for Team Canada's defence so I'm not even sure who you're watching because Staal was our best D until he got hit with the puck, by a lot.

Fans at the Garden were scoffing at his poor angle play. The goalie bails him out often. He's another nice player but hardly anybody who keeps an opposing forward awake at night. They sleep just fine.

If you're 6'4, please hit the gym and get your weight past 206-207lbs. Maybe then he'll actually hit somebody so they remember it. Before anybody mentions Ovechkin, I recall Jan Erixon driving Lemieux nuts. That doesn't mean he's maximizing his potential.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
So MDZ is timid b/c the coach nagged him about defense while the rest are too tired. Interesting theory

He's scared to take chances, because when he does and it fails the coach is screaming at him and he ends up planted on the bench, thankfully that won't be happening this year. That's no way to get more offence out of a young D man, he stifled his offence. The others are tired. Girardi and McDonagh play 53 minutes one night and then Tortorella has them playing over 30 the next night and wonders why they aren't playing well. It's mind boggling.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Fans at the Garden were scoffing at his poor angle play. The goalie bails him out often. He's another nice player but hardly anybody who keeps an opposing forward awake at night. They sleep just fine.

Fans at the garden aren't picking Team Canada thankfully.

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
He has the skating.
He has the size.
He is a very good athlete. (Saw him jump over the bench once in an impressive manner after a OT goal)

Will he be a game breaker like Gabs? I'm not sure yet but I'm still hoping for a bigger yet poor mans version of Mike Gartner.

Time will tell, but like we've both said, the talent in skill set is there. I think he needs a full camp and preseason, and the opportunity to play minutes with the teams best players. He's now at the age where players typically start to make impact consistently, given the aforementioned premium ice time. There is a reason why this kid is a highly ranked prospect league wide, and why the Rangers have refused to put him out there when they've looked at making trades.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM

As far as who votes, looking at the draft tables yesterday and these guy on the mic (MIKE) during picks . . . let's just say it's not exactly the minds running the NFL.

I do not know how much Staal weighs but he weighed around 205 as a 18 year old kid years ago. I'd be surprised if he was under 210 now. They probably just do not adjust his height/weight measurements.

He puts his body on AO a lot when they play so he is not a mild guy. My concern with him is his 2 injuries but not his weight.

I think Girardi has the heart of a champion but I think he has played over his skill level. I think we should consider trading Dan while his value is high as much as I like him as a person.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't think it's fair to Kreider to think he's going to get 40 goals. I'm gonna be very happy if he hits 30 and I'm not exactly sure about that either. He really should have had a better year in the AHL if he was gonna make an impact in the NHL.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Fans at the garden aren't picking Team Canada thankfully.

Opponents are looking forward to skating safely into Canada's end too.

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I also think it is a good thing that many key guys on this team- Callahan, Brassard, Boyle, Girardi, Del Zotto, Kreider, and to a lesser extent, Pyatt and Stralman, are all playing for their next contracts. In all sports, that has a way of bringing out the best hockey in people. Add in the disappointing season last year, a new coach with a new system and voice, plus training camp and a full preseason and 82-game schedule, and I am really optimistic about what we could see. Plus the bulk of this team is still either immersed in their prime or young.

It is by no means a mess.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't think it's fair to Kreider to think he's going to get 40 goals. I'm gonna be very happy if he hits 30 and I'm not exactly sure about that either. He really should have had a better year in the AHL if he was gonna make an impact in the NHL.

I think a guy like Kreider is one of those guys teams see all the potential for but that he takes time to come around. Might be 15 goals one year. Then a few years later he may hit 25-30. I do not know if he is the kind that just flips the switch. He could score 40 eventually but I think we will see some steady (some may call it slow) progress from him over the years. Some factors will be his confidence, his comfortability, and the role the coach puts him in. I'd put him with Mats. Chris likes to shoot and Mats likes to pass. I think a 3rd line with those 2 could be fun to watch.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I do not know how much Staal weighs but he weighed around 205 as a 18 year old kid years ago. I'd be surprised if he was under 210 now. They probably just do not adjust his height/weight measurements.

He puts his body on AO a lot when they play so he is not a mild guy. My concern with him is his 2 injuries but not his weight.

Surprise, he's under 210lbs. I too am concerned about his injuries b/c the Rangers could lose him all together. When healthy though, he's not maximizing his potential IMO. He's not getting bigger and maybe it's b/c any added weight would make him even slower (or maybe he's just not in the gym).

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Kreider IMO, has a pretty high ceiling. Unlike the other forwards, Kreider has the shot and the size to battle on the boards. Hoping for a poor man's Shanahan but he was pretty awful in Hartford this past season.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Opponents are looking forward to skating safely into Canada's end too.

Ya Canada is always a pushover. :facepalm:

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Surprise, he's under 210lbs. I too am concerned about his injuries b/c the Rangers could lose him all together. When healthy though, he's not maximizing his potential IMO. He's not getting bigger and maybe it's b/c any added weight would make him even slower (or maybe he's just not in the gym).

He must have lost weight then because he was drafted around 205 and in his 2nd year they said he added 10 pounds of muscle. When was the last time they actually adjusted those measurements. I remember in the NBA they had David Robinson playing at the same 235-240 pound level that he played at in college as a young kid. He put on 20-30 pounds as a pro easy if not more but they never changed his measurements.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Ya Canada is always a pushover. :facepalm:

Let's not pretend Staal is suddenly a physical force in the Canadian end b/c wears a Maple Leaf :rolleyes:

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
He must have lost weight then because he was drafted around 205 and in his 2nd year they said he added 10 pounds of muscle. When was the last time they actually adjusted those measurements. I remember in the NBA they had David Robinson playing at the same 235-240 pound level that he played at in college as a young kid. He put on 20-30 pounds as a pro easy if not more but they never changed his measurements.

He should be at least 225lbs. He's not even close and you can tell he doesn't have the power and loses leverage. He was supposed to be the guy that cleaned out the front of the net. He's not that guy which is why I believe he underachieves. He's simply not a 6'4 monster which is why, IMO, the Rangers went with McIlrath when there more talented players on the board.

bsi
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Let's not pretend Staal is suddenly a physical force in the Canadian end b/c wears a Maple Leaf :rolleyes:

Nobody said he was a physical force, you're the only one expecting him to be one. I'm fine with him being a steady all round d man capable of playing all situations, but I suppose you'd rather Stu Bickel, he's a physical force haha.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
He should be at least 225lbs. He's not even close and you can tell he doesn't have the power and loses leverage. He was supposed to be the guy that cleaned out the front of the net. He's not that guy which is why I believe he underachieves. He's simply not a 6'4 monster which is why, IMO, the Rangers went with McIlrath when there more talented players on the board.

I'm a huge Dylan fan but they are different kinds of players. With that said right now Staal probably outweighs Dylan. My guess is Stall is around 218 or higher. Guys are drafted as 18 year old kids. Their bodies mature as they get older. I do not see Staal as a crushing hitter but he is far from a pushover. I also do not see him as slow.

If he doesn't hit and is slow why did those NHL coaches pick him as an All Star? There seems to be a disconnect there.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Marc Staal Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-WDLTt5Iso)

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Nobody said he was a physical force, you're the only one expecting him to be one. I'm fine with him being a steady all round d man capable of playing all situations, but I suppose you'd rather Stu Bickel, he's a physical force haha.

Opponents are fine with too. Skate right into the Rangers end with no threat. Park right in front of the Rangers net and nobody with the power to move a guy out. Especially 6'4 Marc Staal who loses leverage at his height with anybody more powerful than a high school junior.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Does that music come with Kool Aid? Semin slapping Staal around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM

bsi
07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Opponents are fine with too. Skate right into the Rangers end with no threat. Park right in front of the Rangers net and nobody with the power to move a guy out. Especially 6'4 Marc Staal who loses leverage at his height with anybody more powerful than a high school junior.

Marc Staal was never drafted to be Brooks Orpik thankfully. Dylan McIlrath and Michael Sauer were drafter for those reasons. Just because he's tall he has to take runs at people? Come on.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Does that music come with Kool Aid? Semin slapping Staal around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM

Not sure how that changes the fact that Staal threw a bunch of nice hits in the video. Staal is a strong guy. The league is a bit different now. McD is a big guy also. Both guys hit but neither guy throw the body as much as a guy like Barry Beck or Scott Stevens. You have been making negative comments about almost every single NY Rangers player. Why is that?

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Marc Staal was never drafted to be Brooks Orpik thankfully. Dylan McIlrath and Michael Sauer were drafter for those reasons. Just because he's tall he has to take runs at people? Come on.

So he's not physical
He has no speed
He has no shot
He doesn't have a nice breakout pass
He doesn't clear out the front of the net
He can't fight well at all
The opponent doesn't skate with their heads up coming into the Rangers end.

So he's a 6'4 mediocre defenseman. Enjoy team Canada, they can keep him as I see him as an underachiever.

fingerbang
07-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Not sure how that changes the fact that Staal threw a bunch of nice hits in the video. Staal is a strong guy. The league is a bit different now. McD is a big guy also. Both guys hit but neither guy throw the body as much as a guy like Barry Beck or Scott Stevens. You have been making negative comments about almost every single NY Rangers player. Why is that?

Exactly. Now that there's two line passes you can't line guys up like you used to. There's more emphasis on skating than there was 10 years ago.

fingerbang
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
So he's not physical
He has no speed
He has no shot

So he's a 6'4 mediocre defenseman. Enjoy team Canada, they can keep him as I see him as an underachiever.

He's a really solid skater and he bodies up Ovechkin every chance he gets so you can't say he's not physical.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Exactly. Now that there's two line passes you can't line guys up like you used to. There's more emphasis on skating than there was 10 years ago.

That is a good point. In the past open ice hits were risky but now they can be deadly if you do not get all of a player. With that said it sure would be nice to have a destroyer type of hitter like Beck or Stevens in our own end. You are right though. The game has evolved more around skating so even a lot of big guys do not hit as often as the old days.

bsi
07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

I actually like this one on Stajan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElxUbVsvJJ4

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=SLY WILLIAMS;26567153]Not sure how that changes the fact that Staal threw a bunch of nice hits in the video. Staal is a strong guy. QUOTE]

Strong lol. Compareed to who? Hagelin? Like I've said, if you love him, you are entitled to love him. You can love the whole roster and everybody in the system. Blame the coach for all I care and believe this is a Stanley Cup team. Enjoy but don't believe everybody is drinking the kool aid.

The league is a bit different now. McD is a big guy also. Both guys hit but neither guy throw the body as much as a guy like Barry Beck or Scott Stevens. You have been making negative comments about almost every single NY Rangers player. Why is that?[/

McD is an athlete. He has the skill to get back into the play and pick pocket an opponents forward. McD can skate the puck up ice and despite not having much of a shot, he is maximizing his potential.

As far as negative comments, go look at the Kreider comments. Haven't said a word about Callahan (the Captain you wouldn't mind moving). Said nothing about Brassard, Dorsett, Nash, Stephan, Zuks, etc. Appears everybody loves everybody on this roster. Why is that?

Forget J.T. Miller who is a bull on skates, we have Jasper Fast everybody. The next Christian Dube or Peter Ferarro.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
So he's not physical
He has no speed
He has no shot

I agree with you that he can achieve more. He had an all star season and if not for injuries I would hope he would get back to that level. With that said how can he be a underachiever if he has no speed, no shot, etc? If that was the case he would be an overachiever as an all star.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I actually like this one on Stajan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElxUbVsvJJ4

Bravo - is one hit a year too much to ask from 6'4 guy? That was a perfect example of a player skating in the Rangers end with his head down. Should we pull up highlights of skaters going right around Staal and Lundy bailing him out?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Strong lol. Compareed to who? Hagelin? Like I've said, if you love him, you are entitled to love him. You can love the whole roster and everybody in the system. Blame the coach for all I care and believe this is a Stanley Cup team. Enjoy but don't believe everybody is drinking the kool aid.

I believe Marc is strong. I have seen guys take runs at him and they go down. I have seen him level AO who is 240 pounds many times.

I do not love every player. I do not think we have a perfect system. I just believe every team has flaws and we can not only look at a players negatives and ignore the positives. I have mentioned 3-5 players I would consider trading. If I was drinking koolaid why would I suggest those moves?

fingerbang
07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Bravo - is one hit a year too much to ask from 6'4 guy? That was a perfect example of a player skating in the Rangers end with his head down. Should we pull up highlights of skaters going right around Staal and Lundy bailing him out?

Who are all the big open ice hitters in the league right now? You have to put it in perspective. Besides Chara who's really a better overall physical defenseman?

Phaneuf
Kronwall
Emelin
Murray
Weber

It's not the late 90s/early 2000s anymore.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
I believe Marc is strong. I have seen guys take runs at him and they go down. I have seen him level AO who is 240 pounds many times.

http://staaler.tumblr.com/post/7550185907/cheyennejadeex-for-megan-marc-staal-shirtless a tank

I do not love every player. I do not think we have a perfect system. I just believe every team has flaws and we can not only look at a players negatives and ignore the positives. I have mentioned 3-5 players I would consider trading. If I was drinking koolaid why would I suggest those moves?

All I've seen are proposals to add more scoring and get rid of the grit. Callahan, Boyle, etc replaced with finesse players.

If the Rangers didn't have carbon copies of practically every defenseman, I wouldn't claim they have issues. Torts (who everybody apparently hates now) said the team needed a shot from the point. How dare he state the obvious b/c apparently coddling these players is suddenly a must.

Let's ignore that none of the defenseman have much offensive skill. Blame the coach and believe they system held them back if you like. It was pretty obvious none of the could pass between each other at the point with any consistency. At 6'4, I believe the only one capable of playing physical is Staal. God for bid we ask the guy to hit somebody, suddenly we're negative???? Find utube video to believe he's physical. Wonder why the Rangers drafted McIlrath??????

bsi
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM

I thought I quoted Sly in that.

bsi
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
DelZotto had plenty of offensive skill before he got here with Tortorella. He was a point a game guy all through his years in the OHL.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Who are all the big open ice hitters in the league right now? You have to put it in perspective. Besides Chara who's really a better overall physical defenseman?

Phaneuf
Kronwall
Emelin
Murray
Weber

It's not the late 90s/early 2000s anymore.

He does not clear out the front of the net or force the opponents to skate into the Rangers end with their heads up. Not to mention, if anybody touches Lundy he's is not a force. Look at the Devils, Bruins, Flyers, Ottawa, etc. If an opponent touches their goalie, they go nuts. Staal grabs and holds on. He's not a force at 6'4 and I expect him to be.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:32 PM
DelZotto had plenty of offensive skill before he got here with Tortorella. He was a point a game guy all through his years in the OHL.

Explain why he can't complete a pass at the point, has the puck jump over his stick at the point often, has a mediocre shot, doesn't hit the open guy on the PP, lacks speed when headed up ice, etc.

Kool Aid fellas - McD and Girardi look better offensively. Why is that? Don't tell me, it was the coach again lol

fingerbang
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-IUQJoD5Tg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzRpE_QfBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxLiPitH9XI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vW1TOaj-5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5H5ZB15ySo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5wbMyBSQI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFS_AWrdbpA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4K_gl5ICU

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
All I've seen are proposals to add more scoring and get rid of the grit. Callahan, Boyle, etc replaced with finesse players.

If the Rangers didn't have carbon copies of practically every defenseman, I wouldn't claim they have issues. Torts (who everybody apparently hates now) said the team needed a shot from the point. How dare he state the obvious b/c apparently coddling these players is suddenly a must.

Let's ignore that none of the defenseman have much offensive skill. Blame the coach and believe they system held them back if you like. It was pretty obvious none of the could pass between each other at the point with any consistency. At 6'4, I believe the only one capable of playing physical is Staal. God for bid we ask the guy to hit somebody, suddenly we're negative???? Find utube video to believe he's physical. Wonder why the Rangers drafted McIlrath??????

I do think we need more scoring and more speed. I see the league evolving in that direction but I love hitting (and fighting) as well. Barry Beck was one of my favorite players. I would love to have a Barry Beck player. Marc Staal is not a Barry Beck but I do not think he is soft. We drafted Dylan because we liked his snarl, his leadership, and his size as well as his work ethic. That is not a knock on Staal. We need 6-8 dmen not just 1.

I like Cally and I respect Cally but if the right deal was offered I would consider moving him because I believe his game will wear down his small body in the future. The player spoken about in those Cally trades (Seguin) is bigger, younger and was drafted very high.

I like Boyle as well but I believe we might be able to get Van to pay more than he is worth. I look at him as a 4th line player not a guy that should be playing larger minutes.

I'm not against all grit. Cam Neely was one of my favorite players because he did it all. He didnt just score. He didnt just grind. He didnt just fight. He did everything. If Boyle was Cam Neely I would never want to trade him.

I know you are a long time Rangers fan. I hate losing my fave players and coaches so I understand but I hope you can let this coach thing go at some point. You have been coming back to it in almost every thread.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-IUQJoD5Tg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzRpE_QfBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxLiPitH9XI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vW1TOaj-5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5H5ZB15ySo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5wbMyBSQI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFS_AWrdbpA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4K_gl5ICU

You must have missed the posts where I claimed Rangers fans can love him if they like. Waive a banner, love him if you like. All 207lbs at 6'4 of him.

Go find the highlights of skaters going right around him.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I do think we need more scoring and more speed. I see the league evolving in that direction. .

You didn't hear that in the media, did you? How the heck did the Bruins and Blackhawks get there? The mauled opponents on the boards, forechecked non-stop, etc. This was not wide open hockey besides one game. Defense is still at the forefront. The Bruins has to shoot non-stop from the point b/c everything was covered down low.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
You didn't hear that in the media, did you? How the heck did the Bruins and Blackhawks get there? The mauled opponents on the boards, forechecked non-stop, etc. This was not wide open hockey besides one game. Defense is still at the forefront. The Bruins has to shoot non-stop from the point b/c everything was covered down low.

I just gave my opinion not the medias opinion. If the media agrees with my opinion that is fine. If they do not that is fine as well. :)

I love hitting but the Blackhawks showed fast skating, crisp passing and very skilled shooters as well. Defense is always important but so is offense. We can not just focus on defense alone or grinding alone. We need some balance.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I just gave my opinion not the medias opinion. If the media agrees with my opinion that is fine. If they do not that is fine as well. :)

I love hitting but the Blackhawks showed fast skating, crisp passing and very skilled shooters as well. Defense is always important but so is offense. We can not just focus on defense alone or grinding alone. We need some balance.

Absolutely, but, IMO, the pieces aren't nearly as close to a Stanley Cup as many believe. I don't think any coach would have defeated the Bruins with this team. Let's face it, besides Jagr years ago, nobody wants to take a shot on this Rangers PP. It's stunk for years with no threat at the point.

Also, for all the praise fans have for Staal, it makes me wonder why it's the coaches fault for losing if the great Staal didn't even play.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Absolutely, but, IMO, the pieces aren't nearly as close to a Stanley Cup as many believe. I don't think any coach would have defeated the Bruins with this team. Let's face it, besides Jagr years ago, nobody wants to take a shot on this Rangers PP. It's stunk for years with no threat at the point.

Also, for all the praise fans have for Staal, it makes me wonder why it's the coaches fault for losing if the great Staal didn't even play.

You are 100% entitled to your opinion on the Bruins. You may even be right but that was not the reason that Torts was let go and we really should save the Torts stuff for the coaching related threads.

In regards to Staal I do not see people saying he is perfect or great. They are just saying that he does throw the body.

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
You are 100% entitled to your opinion on the Bruins. You may even be right but that was not the reason that Torts was let go and we really should save the Torts stuff for the coaching related threads.

In regards to Staal I do not see people saying he is perfect or great. They are just saying that he does throw the body.

The coach has to be linked b/c suddenly people believe these players are more skilled b/c of a system. Regardless of system, they don't a shot from the point, a QB for the PP or a defenseman who is a real threat offensively. Look at the blasts from the point in the playoffs. The Rangers don't have one yet a some believe these players will suddenly develop some new skill b/c of a coaching change?

This isn't "I love Torts" as much as it's "the team needs better players" and that's not to sacrifice grit and make this figure skating. It's the GM. The GM who has now handcuffed the team financially. Not holding my breath on him changing his mind before July 4th and hoping the guy doesn't get injured.

nyr1980
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Teams like Chicago and Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, etc. make deep playoff runs and win due to depth of talent throughout their line-ups. That being said, it does not always go how teams draw it up. Pittsburgh has struggled the last 3-4 seasons despite having tons of high-end talent, because of poor goaltending and IMO, lack of depth on the blue line. LA came out of nowhere as an 8 seed and kicked everyone's *** last postseason.

I think line-up was, top to bottom, while I think the Rangers have a bit of a lack of real top-end talent, the line-up depth is potentially pretty nice.

Down the middle with Step, Brass, Richards, Boyle, Miller
On the wings with Nash, Cally, Kreider, Hags, MZA, Pyatt, Dorsett, Asham, etc.

Not bad at all. All guys who can play and fill a nice role. I would like to see another winger who can pot pucks, but it is IMO a pretty quality group.

I think we'd all like to know if Step being a point per game guy, and Brassard playing so well after the deal was the exception or the rule. Also, big question mark on Richards, but I do believe that he has it in him to put up a nice season. I think he will be supremely motivated this year to silence his detractors.

I have no qualms about the D. I think there is more Offense to be had from guys like McD, MDZ, and Moore. Stall potentially as well. I figure AV will allow them to be more involved in the offense and they only need one of them to be a big point producer.

It is a pretty solid group all things being considered. I do believe a new system from AV and so many guys coming off of disappointing season could really spell for good things.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I like the passion in this thread. We do not have to all agree about our players or management but the passion shows we all care about the team. :)

nyr2002nyr
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I like the passion in this thread. We do not have to all agree about our players or management but the passion shows we all care about the team. :)

If you call it that

NYSPORTS98
07-01-2013, 05:27 PM

We hit harder than Staal :)

bsi
07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Newbury got traded to Philly for Danny Syvret today. Syvret was a pretty decent but only 5'11 d man that really never made the jump, probably just a way of getting Newbury a spot to play but Syvret has good wheels and he had like 40 points the last couple years in the AHL, maybe they see something? Sounds like an AHL deal really but I bet Newbury makes the Flyers roster this year, I thought he should have been on our roster this year for some energy.

MJL80
07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Newbury got traded to Philly for Danny Syvret today. Syvret was a pretty decent but only 5'11 d man that really never made the jump, probably just a way of getting Newbury a spot to play but Syvret has good wheels and he had like 40 points the last couple years in the AHL, maybe they see something? Sounds like an AHL deal really but I bet Newbury makes the Flyers roster this year, I thought he should have been on our roster this year for some energy.

Just saw this... I liked Newbury, hope he does well when not against us!

Never heard of Syvret -- what's with the stockpiling of mediocre/no name defensemen?? Trying to find another Stralman perhaps, or depth more than anything

bsi
07-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Just saw this... I liked Newbury, hope he does well when not against us!

Never heard of Syvret -- what's with the stockpiling of mediocre/no name defensemen?? Trying to find another Stralman perhaps, or depth more than anything

According to the Rangers they felt they didn't have enough guys that could fill in incase of injury. The probably are worried about rushing McIlrath into the lineup maybe.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
We may just be filling some depth for the AHL but you never know. We may be preparing to move one of our own Dmen.

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2013, 07:53 PM
To me it has to be a depth move. Best case he's a good spare part in Hartford, worst case he fills in for an injury instead of rushing McIlrath.

I think the teams plan is to let MDZ decide his fate with his own play until the trade deadline and if need be bring up McIlrath then, but it seems like they would like to avoid that at all costs.

IAmARanger18
07-02-2013, 01:05 PM
So Sauer was not qualified which makes him an UFA, sucks we will never see him play again. Just when he was getting really good, I hope that piece of **** Phaneuf suffers a career ending injury for what he did to Sauer.

GreenReign
07-02-2013, 02:13 PM
We should go hard after Clarkson. He is just what we need, a tough physical presence who can also score. We should stay away from Vinnie, he is old, and I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. Clarkson would be perfect on a line with Stepan and Nash.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 02:15 PM
We should go hard after Clarkson. He is just what we need, a tough physical presence who can also score. We should stay away from Vinnie, he is old, and I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. Clarkson would be perfect on a line with Stepan and Nash.

Right now we only have around 1-2 mill in cap room left after our guys are resigned so we would have to clear some room by moving players/contracts.

nyr2002nyr
07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Just Brilliant New York Rangers...Hiring Scott Arniel...The guy that almost ruined Derek Brassard all by himself.
Slats has lost his mind.

MJL80
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM

We have no geesh to spend... we're going to pretty much have the same team as last year, just a different system. Increased roles for Miller & Kreider and the potential of McIlrath joining the squad, but that's about it

Mr.Wiskers
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
With the noted history between Brassard and Arniel. And the HC's switching team. I don't know what the cap looks like for Vancouver but I was thinking would you guys and NY make/take a Edler and Kesler or MDZ,Boyle,Brassard,Dorsett and the rights to Clowe. Edler and Kesler both make 5 mil per. Clowe would probably get 4.5 mil per. MDZ 2.55 mil--Boyle 1.7 mil--Brassard 3.2 mil---Dorsett 1.6 mil (all according to CapGeek). That's 11.95 mil for Van. 10 mil. for us. Yeah the could sign Clowe once he becomes a free agent but I don't know if they have the cap room( dealing Kesler would definitely make room for him cash wise).

bsi
07-02-2013, 05:19 PM
With the noted history between Brassard and Arniel. And the HC's switching team. I don't know what the cap looks like for Vancouver but I was thinking would you guys and NY make/take a Edler and Kesler or MDZ,Boyle,Brassard,Dorsett and the rights to Clowe. Edler and Kesler both make 5 mil per. Clowe would probably get 4.5 mil per. MDZ 2.55 mil--Boyle 1.7 mil--Brassard 3.2 mil---Dorsett 1.6 mil (all according to CapGeek). That's 11.95 mil for Van. 10 mil. for us. Yeah the could sign Clowe once he becomes a free agent but I don't know if they have the cap room( dealing Kesler would definitely make room for him cash wise).

Vancouver is never getting rid of Kesler unless they think he's beat up and in that case I don't want him. They'll trade the two Sedins before they let Kesler go.

bsi
07-02-2013, 05:20 PM
We have no geesh to spend... we're going to pretty much have the same team as last year, just a different system. Increased roles for Miller & Kreider and the potential of McIlrath joining the squad, but that's about it

I still think there's a trade out there for us, I keep hearing that Slats and Nonis are talking a quite a bit. I'm hoping it might be for Jake Gardiner or maybe they're trying to get Clark McArthur who I think would be a good fit here.

metswon69
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 15m

Canadiens acquire right winger Christian Thomas from the New York Rangers in return for Danny Kristo.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM

That was a surprise.

Mr.Wiskers
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
We know Torts and his coaching style, we know he wants gritty players. Why would Vancouver hire him if they weren't gonna get him the players he needs for his system? Do you really expect him to change his style, NOW?

I would love Gardiner, he's considered a top prospect. But MacArthur is a free agent. I would really LOVE vanRiemsDyk.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
We know Torts and his coaching style, we know he wants gritty players. Why would Vancouver hire him if they weren't gonna get him the players he needs for his system? Do you really expect him to change his style, NOW?

I would love Gardiner, he's considered a top prospect. But MacArthur is a free agent. I would really LOVE vanRiemsDyk.

I do not know if we will do a big trade but since they wanted Clowe before the deadline I say try to trade them his rights as well as Boyle (since Torts likes his style a lot)

jeterrulesbaby
07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Ijs

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Anyone know much about Kristo? Habs fans seem to think he will be a player.

Mr.Wiskers
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Buzz: Rangers Trade Christian Thomas To Montreal For Danny*Kristo
July 2nd, 2013 5:29 pm
The Rangers have traded Christian Thomas to Montreal for Danny Kristo.

He is 5-11, 185 and was a second round pick of Montreal in 2008 and spent the last four seasons playing for North Dakota.

Kristo, 23, had 26 goals and 26 assists in 40 games last season. He had three assists in nine games playing for Hamilton in the AHL.

He signed a two-year entry level deal this past spring and his contract expires next year when he will be an RFA. His cap hit is $1.3 million.

Kristo played 10 games for Team USA at the World Championships this past spring and had 1 goal and two assists.

In 2010 he played with Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider on the World Junior team that won the Gold Medal. He had five goals and three assists in that tournament.

He was ranked the fifth best prospect on Montreal by Hockey’s Future.

The Hockey News ranked him 10th in the Future Watch issue this past February and wrote “the speedy winger has quick hands, good scoring ability, but has to improve maturity and work ethic.”

In 2012, The Hockey News ranked him 9th in their future watch issue and wrote “excellent skater with non-stop motor and scoring ability. Needs more muscle.”

Habs Eyes on the Prize writes “Kristo is one of the fastest skaters in the organization, possibly even the fastest, and gives the Canadiens even more depth at forward. The right winger can make plays at top speed, which instantly puts him at the top of the Bulldogs call up list if a skilled forward is injured.”

Leslie Treff calls this an “excellent trade” for the Rangers and that Kristo has a lot of talent and grit. She notes that he had off-ice issues many years ago but he has matured and has high end talent.

NYSPORTS98
07-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Canadiens acquire right winger Christian Thomas from the New York Rangers in return for Danny Kristo.

Bravo - another Peter Ferarro sent packing. Is Bourque next? Let's hope Jasper Fast gains some weight or he's the next Christian Dube.

Still high on Norneau and few others.

metswon69
07-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 11m

Source says 5 year $23.5 mill for Lecavalier as a Flyer. checking on that

Looks like the Flyers got Lecavalier for 5 years 23.5 million dollars..

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Seriously? With all the talk of MTL and other teams from Canada he goes to the Flyers? Ugh.

metswon69
07-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Seriously? With all the talk of MTL and other teams from Canada he goes to the Flyers? Ugh.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 37s

There's a full No-Move Clause in Lecavalier's deal

At least there is some consolation :D

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I would have given him the 4.7 mill a year but the 5 years might have scared me off. I would have liked 2 years 10 mill as a Ranger or 3 years 12 mill.

nyr1980
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Too much money. Too much term. Doesn't help their D or goaltending. Bad idea.

Mr.Wiskers
07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Maybe send Bourque to Boston for one of their prospects.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 07:15 PM
I feel bad for Dylan. CT was his buddy.

fingerbang
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Buzz: Rangers Trade Christian Thomas To Montreal For Danny*Kristo
July 2nd, 2013 5:29 pm
The Rangers have traded Christian Thomas to Montreal for Danny Kristo.

He is 5-11, 185 and was a second round pick of Montreal in 2008 and spent the last four seasons playing for North Dakota.

Kristo, 23, had 26 goals and 26 assists in 40 games last season. He had three assists in nine games playing for Hamilton in the AHL.

He signed a two-year entry level deal this past spring and his contract expires next year when he will be an RFA. His cap hit is $1.3 million.

Kristo played 10 games for Team USA at the World Championships this past spring and had 1 goal and two assists.

In 2010 he played with Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider on the World Junior team that won the Gold Medal. He had five goals and three assists in that tournament.

He was ranked the fifth best prospect on Montreal by Hockey’s Future.

The Hockey News ranked him 10th in the Future Watch issue this past February and wrote “the speedy winger has quick hands, good scoring ability, but has to improve maturity and work ethic.”

In 2012, The Hockey News ranked him 9th in their future watch issue and wrote “excellent skater with non-stop motor and scoring ability. Needs more muscle.”

Habs Eyes on the Prize writes “Kristo is one of the fastest skaters in the organization, possibly even the fastest, and gives the Canadiens even more depth at forward. The right winger can make plays at top speed, which instantly puts him at the top of the Bulldogs call up list if a skilled forward is injured.”

Leslie Treff calls this an “excellent trade” for the Rangers and that Kristo has a lot of talent and grit. She notes that he had off-ice issues many years ago but he has matured and has high end talent.

That explains it. The Rangers are suckers for speed.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
I liked CT because he had a real snipers shot and goal scoring mentality. With that said imagine Kristo turns out great? The Habs will never answer Slats calls again after McD

fingerbang
07-02-2013, 07:46 PM
He's definitely more NHL ready. Bigger body, better athlete. Good prospect for the Rangers.

nyr2002nyr
07-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Lecavalier to the flyers

IAmARanger18
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Thomas was to small, he couldn't hack it up here, like Kristo a lot, really like the trade.

bsi
07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I think if we're keeping Zuccarello and Hagelin then Thomas isn't cracking the lineup, too many little guys. I like the move given that aspect of it, having played with Stepan and Kreider before that's good too.

nyr1980
07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Actually saw him play this past season at Ohio State. Lots of speed. Stood out.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
This Kristo kid has had some issues (drinking, suspensions, frostbite) but in his last college season he put up 26 goals (52 points) in only 40 games. That is pretty impressive. This trade has some risk but it could turn out to be a good one.

Rangers in 7
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
personally if we keep hags and zucc thomas is expandable....not to mention its possible CT never makes it in the nhl due to his lack of size and he didnt exactly light it up in the AHL, not saying he wont make it but kristo is the better overall player and i think this is a great trade for us

Rangers in 7
07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
This Kristo kid has had some issues (drinking, suspensions, frostbite) but in his last college season he put up 26 goals (52 points) in only 40 games. That is pretty impressive. This trade has some risk but it could turn out to be a good one.

btw the drinking issue ive read was that he got caught serving to minors, its a college campus every party there are underage drinkers so i dont see this being a problem at all

IAmARanger18
07-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I think Zuccs is going to stay, they will give him a 2 year deal and if Kristo really is ready to make the lineup and they feel he can contribute more than Zuccs, Zuccs can always be traded.

redwhiteandblue
07-03-2013, 02:02 PM
I like the Kristo move. I appreciate the Rangers go after more home grown (American) talent, I think in some aspect they always try and be America's team, there's great marketing in that. USA Hockey has done a great job over the last few decades and I think the way we develop some of our players and our team is the way these guys are brought up in our hockey system.

I'm always open to adding guys from that gold medal World Juniors team. Stepan and Kreider led the way on that team. Kristo was an important player. I liked CT, had no beef with him or his size, guys have proven with the right mentality they can play a bigger game, but this is just a good hockey deal for us. We are a Cup contending team, this gives us even more immediate depth. Couple that with what I mentioned before and I really like the deal for the Rangers.

Not to mention there's no better training camp than one with a lot of good hard working competitions going on.

MJL80
07-03-2013, 04:53 PM
I liked CT because he had a real snipers shot and goal scoring mentality. With that said imagine Kristo turns out great? The Habs will never answer Slats calls again after McD

Im surprised they made this trade after getting torched on the gomez deal... way to go glen!!!!!!

jeterrulesbaby
07-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Will we ever get a dman to qb the pp.
this roster needs help big big time

MJL80
07-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Hope u all have a happy and safe 4th of July!!!

GO RANGERS!!!!

SLY WILLIAMS
07-04-2013, 10:15 AM

GO RANGERS!!!!

Thanks dude. You too!!!

By the way it was kind of cool to see Hags identified himself as American online while wishing everyone a nice holiday. Looks like Hags and Mats are buddies. They have been doing stuff like fishing since the season ended. Having a team of friends hopefully will help us next season. I know Steps and McD are friends as well.

nyr2002nyr
07-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Asham and Powe put on waivers

NYSPORTS98
07-04-2013, 01:41 PM

GO RANGERS!!!!

+1 to you and Rangers nation

Potvin sucks

puckhead54
07-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Looks like they just made room for signing McD, Zook, Hags & Clowe with a couple of bucks left over.

IAmARanger18
07-04-2013, 09:20 PM

Thank god.

nyr1980
07-04-2013, 09:34 PM
They'll find a way to add some 4th line bodies. No bigs.

IAmARanger18
07-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Think along the lines of Matt Hendricks, could see him coming here to play with Pyatt and maybe Haley on the 4th line

bsi
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Dropping Asham and Powe must be making room for Clowe, I heard he really wanted to stay here, let's find out how much by his contract needs.

MJL80
07-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Ehhhh best of luck to these guys, won't have an impact. I'd like Fedotenko back on the PK though

nyr2002nyr
07-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Dropping Asham and Powe must be making room for Clowe, I heard he really wanted to stay here, let's find out how much by his contract needs.

Clowe really didn't impress me. He had a few good games but unless its pretty cheap I don't see it happening

bsi
07-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Clowe really didn't impress me. He had a few good games but unless its pretty cheap I don't see it happening

We went on a winning streak that got us into the playoffs with the additions of Clowe and Brassard, and our PP was at it's best when he was in the lineup and it was even approaching one of the better ones in the league for that time frame, as soon as he went out it fell apart again so I'd say he's fairly important. I'd take him back but not for any more than 3.5 which he'd get easily since Clarkson is supposed to get over 6. As it's been stated before the only knock is the uncertainty with the concussions, having said all that he's gonna get more money somewhere else if he wants it.

nyr1980
07-05-2013, 10:22 AM
It isn't just the concussions. He's also about to be 31. Power forwards don't age well. I like Clowe, and I really think keeping him around would help, but they have to do short-term, less money. Otherwise it's good money after bad. His very best seasons are behind him, and while I think he still has good hockey in him, they've got to be very conservative in any deal to bring him back.

nyr1980
07-05-2013, 10:26 AM
I'd really like to see them add Maxim Lapierre. Perfect guy for 4th line, PK, and can play 12 mins a night and bring size and physicality.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm not sure we can jump to that conclusion. Its possible but the reports were we were trying to trade his rights not resign him.

nyr1980
07-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Clowe just got a 5yr deal worth $24.25 million (4.85 per) from NJ. Wow. Way too much money. Way too long.Bad signing, IMO.

J4KOP99
07-05-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm on my phone but looks like clowe to nj on a 5 yr deal with an avg of about 4.45 mil...

J4KOP99
07-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Nvm $4.85... Way too much

MJL80
07-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Clowe just got a 5yr deal worth $24.25 million (4.85 per) from NJ. Wow. Way too much money. Way too long.Bad signing, IMO.

I am OK for losing him over this deal... way overpaid and wayyyyyy too risky if u ask me. Sucks we lost that 2nd round pick now.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I am OK for losing him over this deal... way overpaid and wayyyyyy too risky if u ask me. Sucks we lost that 2nd round pick now.

The Devils made a mistake in my opinion unless there are some injury provisions. His numbers this year with the Rangers were misleading. 4 points in his first game. 2 goals basically in empty nets off huge goalie mistakes.

We lost a 2nd and 3rd pick but by not resigning him we do not have to give up another 2nd round pick.

NYY09
07-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Clowe will be bought out next summer.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Clowe will be bought out next summer.

I believe that is only if he is healthy.

NYY09
07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
I believe that is only if he is healthy.

Of course. Big risk by the Devils though when they coulda had Clarkson for a few pennies more.

NYSPORTS98
07-05-2013, 02:27 PM
From giving up a #2 pick to "now it's too much"????

Lou Lamorillo or Glenn Sather? It's not even close.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
From giving up a #2 pick to "now it's too much"????

Lou Lamorillo or Glenn Sather? It's not even close.

I thought it was a risky trade from the start based on 0 goals in 29 games BUT in Slats defense we did not know Clowe would sustain another 2 concussions in 13 games. We probably were willing to take a chance for the playoffs and because he was the type of player the coach liked. It did not work out as well as hoped so now we move on rather than compound the issue with another large contract and another 2nd round pick.

nyr2002nyr
07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
We went on a winning streak that got us into the playoffs with the additions of Clowe and Brassard, and our PP was at it's best when he was in the lineup and it was even approaching one of the better ones in the league for that time frame, as soon as he went out it fell apart again so I'd say he's fairly important. I'd take him back but not for any more than 3.5 which he'd get easily since Clarkson is supposed to get over 6. As it's been stated before the only knock is the uncertainty with the concussions, having said all that he's gonna get more money somewhere else if he wants it.

We have all went over the stats on this a few times. You are giving him way to much credit and maybe we weren't giving him enough. Either way we all agree its a reall bad deal for NJ. Bit I knew this would happen.

nyr1980
07-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Rangers just signed Moore. 1 year, 1 mil.

NYY09
07-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Rangers just signed Moore. 1 year, 1 mil.

Bye bye Boyle?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Just saw the Sens got Bobby Ryan. Would you guys have made a Cally for Ryan deal?

NYY09
07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Just saw the Sens got Bobby Ryan. Would you guys have made a Cally for Ryan deal?

I wouldn't. Seems like a lateral move all things considered.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't. Seems like a lateral move all things considered.

I think Ryan has better size, better hands and is more of a typical top 6 winger. I think Cally brings more intangibles but less skill. I think Cally is going to want 6 mill plus next season on the open market. I'm also afraid Cally can only keep up his previous pace for so long. I saw him take shortcuts in the last season that I never saw him take before.

metswon69
07-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I hate the fact that Clowe went to the Devils. I never wish bad things on a guy but i really hope that deal bites the Devils in the ***.

I guess it's offset by them letting Clarkson go to the Leafs.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I hate the fact that Clowe went to the Devils. I never wish bad things on a guy but i really hope that deal bites the Devils in the ***.

I guess it's offset by them letting Clarkson go to the Leafs.

I actually do not mind it. Let NJ take on that risk and that contract. Some people in NJ are not thrilled with the move.

metswon69
07-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I actually do not mind it. Let NJ take on that risk and that contract. Some people in NJ are not thrilled with the move.

Yeah my concern is if he stays healthy, i have a huge feeling he will be a thorn in the Ranger's side for quite awhile.

They better hope he doesn't get hurt otherwise they obviously can't buy him out either.

NYSPORTS98
07-05-2013, 04:55 PM

No

bsi
07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure we can jump to that conclusion. Its possible but the reports were we were trying to trade his rights not resign him.

There was apparently a late push to sign him but he was getting too high an offer from NJ and the Rangers were never going higher than 3 for him. I like the guy but he's not worth that much of our cap. I like the Dominic Moore addition he's a perfect guy for this team can play anywhere in the lineup really and he's cheap. Good faceoff guy too.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 04:58 PM
There was apparently a late push to sign him but he was getting too high an offer from NJ and the Rangers were never going higher than 3 for him. I like the guy but he's not worth that much of our cap. I like the Dominic Moore addition he's a perfect guy for this team can play anywhere in the lineup really and he's cheap. Good faceoff guy too.

I have not heard about a late push for the Rangers to sign Clowe or any push at all for the Rangers to sign him. Where did you read that?

I like Dom Moore also. I hope he makes it after all he has been through.

BTW I saw Mike Kosmirek signed for 700k. That is a guy I would have liked to take a 700k risk on.

bsi
07-05-2013, 04:58 PM

Ya I would have. I just don't see Callahan having too many healthy seasons at his intensity and size. I also found him a little bit of a puck hog at times this year and maybe that's what they told him to do so maybe none of his own doing but really I never see him scoring 30 goals consistantly for us, I think Bobby Ryan could.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah my concern is if he stays healthy, i have a huge feeling he will be a thorn in the Ranger's side for quite awhile.

They better hope he doesn't get hurt otherwise they obviously can't buy him out either.

Like Lindros and Lafontaine we would always be waiting for the next shoe to drop injury wise if we kept him. He would have cost us another 2nd round pick. Plus I do not even know if he is worth 5 mill a year if healthy based on his production last season. Lets not forget he only scored 3 goals all season and that includes 2 in 1 game. He looked great in his first game but looked really slow in the neutral zone in other games. I'm not worried about playing against him because I do not know if he has enough speed to be the kind of threat we need to fear. I'm more worried that he will get in a fight and have major head issues. The more I think about it the more I think we did the right thing letting him go.

bsi
07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I have not heard about a late push for the Rangers to sign him or any push for the Rangers to sign him. Where did you read that? I like Dom Moore also. I hope he makes it after all he has been through.

BTW I saw Mike Kosmirek signed for 700k. That is a guy I would have liked to take a 700k risk on.

I didn't read it, heard it through the grapevine. Wasn't so much of a push I guess but Clowe said he'd rather stay with New York if they could up their offer but the upped offer wasn't close to NJ's, so around the time that Clarkson's rumoured deal with Toronto came out that's when the Rangers last talked to Clowe, the guy wanted to stay so give him that but he also wanted that money hahaha.

bsi
07-05-2013, 05:03 PM
The contracts today were insane....Clarkson at 5.25??? What is Toronto gonna pay Phil Kessel next year when he doubles Clarkson in goals??