PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Gentry Joins Clippers Staff

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Alvin Gentry a recent, decent head coach who was in the running for multiple jobs just joined the staff as the lead assistant. Doc+Gentry is going to regulate. Top coaching staff in the league suddenly.

@ramonashelburne: Alvin Gentry will join Doc Rivers staff with the Clippers, source tells ESPN. DAntoni gave his blessing this morning.

joeystats
06-26-2013, 03:34 PM
So is this really true, have not heard anything from anyone else yet

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 03:38 PM
So is this really true, have not heard anything from anyone else yet

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9423839/source-alvin-gentry-join-los-angeles-clippers-coaching-staff

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
#championship

Clippers on the rise. YAYYY!!!

MrfadeawayJB
06-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Was hoping the grizz would snatch him up as a assistant

shep33
06-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Good hire for the Clips. I'm ecstatic that he didn't join the Lakers staff. Mike + Alvin= Suns... we need defensive minded coaches up in eeeerrrr

HouRealCoach
06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Damn good hire for the Clippers... CP3 is definitely staying

bholly
06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Tyronn Lue, too:

avid Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 2m
Source says that Tyronn Lue will join Doc Rivers' staff in L.A. with the Clippers. Alvin Gentry agreed earlier to join Clips' as assistant.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Yea. Doc+Gentry+Lue is an elite coaching group. Also got a top training staff and shooting coach. The foundation is great for the first time ever. 3 year deals for Doc+Gentry. Most expensive coaching staff in NBA too.

bholly
06-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I have no idea what (if any) real value he brings in terms of coaching, I'm just excited because Tyronn Lue sitting on the sidelines of the Staples Center is a happy memory for me.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Allen%20Iverson/VS/Tyrone%20Lue/416ebce5.jpg

Chacarron
06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I like what the Clippers are doing.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 10:32 PM
@KevinDing

"Here's a new one: Clippers outbid Lakers so far in $ that it was an easy decision for Alvin Gentry to join Doc Rivers over D'Antoni."

This surprised me.

goingfor28
06-26-2013, 11:46 PM
LA's current best team gonna have a stellar coaching staff. Laker fans don't hate I realize it's 16-0 I'm just talking right now.

akesh99
06-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Doc, Gentry and Lue is an amazing coaching staff. Good for them. Hope CP stays

Mcdoh
06-27-2013, 12:36 AM
good hiring by the clippers... i think cp3 will definitely stays

RiceOnTheRun
06-27-2013, 12:48 AM
@KevinDing

"Here's a new one: Clippers outbid Lakers so far in $ that it was an easy decision for Alvin Gentry to join Doc Rivers over D'Antoni."

This surprised me.

LOL. With all the scrutiny and **** D'antoni goes through, you'd have to pay me almost as much as Kobe to consider jumping on that trainwreck of a coaching staff.

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Doc, Gentry and Lue is an amazing coaching staff. Good for them. Hope CP stays

Wish we could have also added an elite bigman coach like maybe Hakeem if we could lure him or Ewing.

sunsfan88
06-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Good staff. Gentry should help Griffin realize that there are more ways to score than just dunking the ball.

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Good staff. Gentry should help Griffin realize that there are more ways to score than just dunking the ball.

What was your opinion personally of Gentry as a coach? I know the majority of Suns fans were mad when he was the scapegoat and fired.

sunsfan88
06-27-2013, 10:20 AM
What was your opinion personally of Gentry as a coach? I know the majority of Suns fans were mad when he was the scapegoat and fired.
He's a very player friendly coach. Almost to a fault. I would say he can be somewhat of a pushover.

And what I hated most about him was that he wanted to develop and play with a 10 man rotation even when we didn't use good enough players for that. He's very stubborn with his rotations and will definitely try his best to run a 10 man rotation in LAC too I bet. And to run that you need a good backup at every position something the Suns didn't have.

It worked in the 2010 season when we had the best bench in the NBA but he's too stubborn to realize that the players we have now aren't the same players we had then.

Some fans were irritated to see him be the scape goat because in his defense, the FO never gave him any talent to work with since Amare left. They expected too much out of him despite him having such a depleted roster.

But I think more fans were upset that he got fired AND Majerle was snubbed for the HC gig rather than Gentry just being fired. I honestly wanted Gentry gone cause it was a clear at a point that he had lost the Suns locker room.

He loves running a fast paced offense, very similar to D'Antoni's SSOL offense. Expect a ton of pick and rolls and such. CP3 will be a perfect fit for his offense. But I must warn you that he plays favorites with role players and loves big men that can shoot 3s and will try to turn as many big men he can into shooters rather than traditional post up players.

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
He's a very player friendly coach. Almost to a fault. I would say he can be somewhat of a pushover.

And what I hated most about him was that he wanted to develop and play with a 10 man rotation even when we didn't use good enough players for that. He's very stubborn with his rotations and will definitely try his best to run a 10 man rotation in LAC too I bet. And to run that you need a good backup at every position something the Suns didn't have.

It worked in the 2010 season when we had the best bench in the NBA but he's too stubborn to realize that the players we have now aren't the same players we had then.

Some fans were irritated to see him be the scape goat because in his defense, the FO never gave him any talent to work with since Amare left. They expected too much out of him despite him having such a depleted roster.

But I think more fans were upset that he got fired AND Majerle was snubbed for the HC gig rather than Gentry just being fired. I honestly wanted Gentry gone cause it was a clear at a point that he had lost the Suns locker room.

He loves running a fast paced offense, very similar to D'Antoni's SSOL offense. Expect a ton of pick and rolls and such. CP3 will be a perfect fit for his offense. But I must warn you that he plays favorites with role players and loves big men that can shoot 3s and will try to turn as many big men he can into shooters rather than traditional post up players.

Hmm thanks for info. I think in this case since he's the assistant, not the head... Doc will keep him on a leash in a sense. He will run the offense BUT it likely will be within Doc's perimeters. Good thing about pairing them up is both are apparently excellent at running offense with lots of screens, 2nd options, backdoor cuts etc. Things Clippers fans never heard of in the last decade with coaches like Vinny, Dunleavy.

Do you personally feel the offensive minded Gentry will mesh well with the defensive minded Doc? My only fear is if Gentry tries to turn dominant post presence Blake into jumpshooting Blake which we DO NOT need. Play to his strengths, work on his post game and get him down low.

sunsfan88
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Hmm thanks for info. I think in this case since he's the assistant, not the head... Doc will keep him on a leash in a sense. He will run the offense BUT it likely will be within Doc's perimeters. Good thing about pairing them up is both are apparently excellent at running offense with lots of screens, 2nd options, backdoor cuts etc. Things Clippers fans never heard of in the last decade with coaches like Vinny, Dunleavy.

Do you personally feel the offensive minded Gentry will mesh well with the defensive minded Doc? My only fear is if Gentry tries to turn dominant post presence Blake into jumpshooting Blake which we DO NOT need. Play to his strengths, work on his post game and get him down low.
I think with Chris Paul, you can't go bad with Gentry. When Gentry had Nash, the Suns offense was always good even after Amare left and it was a team of "Nash and scrubs".

And I think he'll do just fine with Doc. Gentry's defensive strategies have always sucked so maybe he can learn a thing or two from Doc.

But yea your concern about Griffin is a very valid one.

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 11:25 AM
I think with Chris Paul, you can't go bad with Gentry. When Gentry had Nash, the Suns offense was always good even after Amare left and it was a team of "Nash and scrubs".

And I think he'll do just fine with Doc. Gentry's defensive strategies have always sucked so maybe he can learn a thing or two from Doc.

But yea your concern about Griffin is a very valid one.

People need to understand how different Blake and Amare were/are. Amare was ALWAYS a face up player. Before he had his shot he would face up and blow by people for dunks or get to the line. He was never a Blake style back to the basket guy backing players down in the deep post every time. I hope the coaches see/understand this considering both come from PF's with a great shot (Amare/KG) who play a faceup game. Blake needs to be molded more like Malone than he does Amare/KG.