PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Championship Remake

Il Mago50
06-26-2013, 12:36 PM
For the Clippers, Doc Rivers will obviously be a big boost in terms of their success.

That said, the roster they had last season proved they couldn't really compete for a championship unless a lot of things went their way.

Now, the obvious way for them to become instant contenders is the rumored Griffin for Howard deal or picking up Pierce through waivers if he's released by the C's.

Point of this thread: If the two above things do not happen, how do you think the Clippers build a championship roster for this upcoming season?

bluefire7002
06-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I thought I read somewhere this morning that they are not allowed to sign/trade for any Celtic players until 2014?

LTBaByyy
06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
They won't win a championship.

Doc Rivers will find out how hard Western Conference is in the playoffs

They have to go through:

Spurs
Thunder w/ Westbrook
Grizzlies

The up and coming:

Nuggets
Rockets
Warriors
Blazers
T Wolves w/ healthy K Love

The champions coming back strong

Lakers
Mavs with cap Space

The Eastern Conference is so easy, he should have stayed

rockets-fan
06-26-2013, 01:15 PM
They won't win a championship.

Doc Rivers will find out how hard Western Conference is in the playoffs

They have to go through:

Spurs
Thunder w/ Westbrook
Grizzlies

The up and coming:

Nuggets
Rockets
Warriors
Blazers
T Wolves w/ healthy K Love

The champions coming back strong

Lakers
Mavs with cap Space

The Eastern Conference is so easy, he should have stayed

Couldn't have said it better myself, the west is another monster

MrfadeawayJB
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
West is much tougher I agree

Iron24th
06-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Agree West is a nightmare

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Clippers will be in the discussion by the end of the offseason. They just hired two head coaches within 12 hours, are in talks to move Bledsoe and DJ for better fits. Blake and CP3 should mesh a lot better on and off the court under Doc. Like Doc just said in his press conference the Clippers have the pieces to be THE best defensive team in the league. The key is going to be molding them into a consistent identity.

Under Vinny for 3 years we have yet to have a consistent identity or game plan. With the Bulls you know they are going to shut you down on D. With the Grizzlies you know they are going to murder you in the paint. With the Spurs you know their ball movement, shooting and composure is going to kill you. With the Heat you know them turning you over and blitzing the ball down your throat is going to kill you. Clippers don't have an identity like that yet and I expect one to come thanks to Doc+Alvin Gentry.

Blake+CP3 is a top 3-4 duo in the NBA talent wise.. so even if they are in the west they will contend. No need to trade for the mentally unstable Dwight.

Jtirado16
06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
They won't win any championships. I agree with everyone else here. He's gonna figure out how tough it is to coach in west when you have a tough game every single time. Unlike the East where you can take days off & still easily beat the bad teams.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 03:25 PM
They won't win any championships. I agree with everyone else here. He's gonna figure out how tough it is to coach in west when you have a tough game every single time. Unlike the East where you can take days off & still easily beat the bad teams.

"won't win" without any clue what the final roster will look like is a bold statement. Especially for a team that was the best in the league last time they were healthy.

Method28
06-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I like how everyone is stating "oh they wont win, west is hard" as if someone doesn't HAVE to come out of the West haha

The Clippers had VDN as their coach....just ask Bulls fans how addition by subtraction works in regards to VDN.

I really do think a player as simple as Pierce at this stage could prove huge. He would give the team the consistent 3rd/4th option they lacked throughout the year and he could echo Rivers as he has played for him on a championship squad. Is this team ready as constructed? No. They are closer than the majority of you are giving them credit for however.

BuffsFan
06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Swap Bledsoe for #2 pick and take Mclemore. Swap Butler for Ariza to give them D at the wing. S&T Deandre Jordan for Bynum. Resign Chauncey for Vet min. Draft Tony Mitchell.

CP3/Billups
Mclemore/Crawford
Ariza/Barnes
Blake/Tony Mitchell
Bynum/Odom

Cracka2HI!
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Clippers won't trade Blake for Howard.

RiceOnTheRun
06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Clippers will be in the discussion by the end of the offseason. They just hired two head coaches within 12 hours, are in talks to move Bledsoe and DJ for better fits. Blake and CP3 should mesh a lot better on and off the court under Doc. Like Doc just said in his press conference the Clippers have the pieces to be THE best defensive team in the league. The key is going to be molding them into a consistent identity.

Under Vinny for 3 years we have yet to have a consistent identity or game plan. With the Bulls you know they are going to shut you down on D. With the Grizzlies you know they are going to murder you in the paint. With the Spurs you know their ball movement, shooting and composure is going to kill you. With the Heat you know them turning you over and blitzing the ball down your throat is going to kill you. Clippers don't have an identity like that yet and I expect one to come thanks to Doc+Alvin Gentry.

Blake+CP3 is a top 3-4 duo in the NBA talent wise.. so even if they are in the west they will contend. No need to trade for the mentally unstable Dwight.

As for one of the talented duos, I agree.
Bron/Wade
KD/Westbrook
Harden/Howard (possibly)
CP3/Blake

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 05:00 PM
As for one of the talented duos, I agree.
Bron/Wade
KD/Westbrook
Harden/Howard (possibly)
CP3/Blake

Also Duncan/Parker but who knows if Duncan has yet another dominant season at 38. Will never count him out.

RiceOnTheRun
06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Also Duncan/Parker but who knows if Duncan has yet another dominant season at 38. Will never count him out.

They're definitely right after CP3/Blake.

They're still effective for sure, but I have to give a lot of credit to Pop for reserving them the way he did. If they'd played for any other NBA team, they'd have been burnt out from overuse by the second round (ala Jason Kidd). No disrespect to them though, along with Manu, they're up there when it comes to best cores of all time.

Dade County
06-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Any of these line-ups can bring them to the Finals.

Cp3
Melo
Howard

Cp3
Blake
Howard

But the above line-ups will most likely not happen, so I can see Doc getting them to the 2nd rd, with their current roster.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Cp3
Melo
Howard

Cp3
Blake
Howard

But the above line-ups will most likely not happen, so I can see Doc getting them to the 2nd rd, with their current roster.

So if Blake improves, they add more talent and add an elite coaching staff their limit is getting back to where they got in their first year together? Got it, makes perfect sense.

IversonIsKrazy
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I know they cant pursue any trades with the Celtics, but can they can still Sign Pierce right. I feel as of now, they are a very strong team, but cant see them beating out Thunder or Spurs yet, I feel as though they need 1 more piece at the forward spot such as Pierce.
But you never know, VDN was truly horrible, and if Doc can give these guys a defensive-mindset, a lot can change.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I know they cant pursue any trades with the Celtics, but can they can still Sign Pierce right. I feel as of now, they are a very strong team, but cant see them beating out Thunder or Spurs yet, I feel as though they need 1 more piece at the forward spot such as Pierce.
But you never know, VDN was truly horrible, and if Doc can give these guys a defensive-mindset, a lot can change.

Pierce is ours if bought out. Afflalo will help. Maybe somebody like Korver or a good backup center.

Dade County
06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
So if Blake improves, they add more talent and add an elite coaching staff their limit is getting back to where they got in their first year together? Got it, makes perfect sense.

I guess you read what you want to read... I said with their current roster.

And you said it best yourself...
So if Blake improves,

they add more talent I don't know what that talent is, so how am I supposed to just think, they will get better players that will make a difference in the playoffs?

Throwing it right back at you...
Got it, makes perfect sense.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I guess you read what you want to read... I said with their current roster.

And you said it best yourself...

I don't know what that talent is, so how am I supposed to just think, they will get better players that will make a difference in the playoffs?

Throwing it right back at you...

I'd call that a captain obvious statement. With CP3 we have just 6 players under contract. You've already heard constant trade rumors swirling Bledsoe and Jordan. So why do you and others keep acting like the roster is going to be the same or similar? It's clear to the entire planet now that the Clippers are serious about building a title contender and will make big changes. The last two years we have added an AVERAGE of 8 new players. The team is obviously trying to improve and has been consistently. In other words.. there is no cap for this team like people want to put. They range from 2nd round exit to NBA finals depending on health and the moves they make.

Il Mago50
06-26-2013, 08:21 PM
As of now, the roster is:

Griffin
Jordan
Bledsoe
Butler
CP3 (assumed)
Crawford

Cap Space: None I'm assuming with Cp3's contract but they'll have the full MLE and LLE with the vet's minimum's as well.

Ignoring the Pierce situation since I'm not sure the C's just let go of him, these free agents could help a ton:

Kyle Korver/JJ Redick
Jermaine O'Neal
Mike Dunleavy/Barnes

In my opinion, you could get either of the first guys with the MLE, resign Chauncey and sign O'Neal to the vet minimum and use the LLE or whatever's left for Dunleavy or Barnes depending on what you'd rather have, that shooting or the scrappiness

Jordan/O'Neal
Griffin/_____
Butler/Dunleavy
Korver/Crawford
Paul/Bledsoe/Billups

That's a contender if I've seen one with that added spacing of the floor.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Griffin
Jordan
Bledsoe
Butler
CP3 (assumed)
Crawford

Cap Space: None I'm assuming with Cp3's contract but they'll have the full MLE and LLE with the vet's minimum's as well.

Ignoring the Pierce situation since I'm not sure the C's just let go of him, these free agents could help a ton:

Kyle Korver/JJ Redick
Jermaine O'Neal
Mike Dunleavy/Barnes

In my opinion, you could get either of the first guys with the MLE, resign Chauncey and sign O'Neal to the vet minimum and use the LLE or whatever's left for Dunleavy or Barnes depending on what you'd rather have, that shooting or the scrappiness

Jordan/O'Neal
Griffin/_____
Butler/Dunleavy
Korver/Crawford
Paul/Bledsoe/Billups

That's a contender if I've seen one with that added spacing of the floor.

Love this post. Knowledgeable and exactly similar to what the team is planning to do I'm sure with the exception of Billups, he needs to go. We basically need shooters+better backup big. Don't forget though we are likely drafting pretty NBA ready wing to help with that in Hardaway Jr, Crabbe or Jamaal Franklin. O'neil, Reddick, Korver and Dunleavy will all be targets. Like you said all we have really are MLE, mini mid, draft and Bledsoe or DJ trade.

Dade County
06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd call that a captain obvious statement. With CP3 we have just 6 players under contract. You've already heard constant trade rumors swirling Bledsoe and Jordan. So why do you and others keep acting like the roster is going to be the same or similar?

So you want me to judge them by a future roster, that doesn't even exist as of right now. Of course the Clips will try to get better, but until that new roster gets battle tested in the playoffs, al I could do, is say that they should make it to the 2nd rd.

It's clear to the entire planet now that the Clippers are serious about building a title contender and will make big changes.

It's clear that they did not want Cp3 to walk... The rest will be proven years down the line.

Example: When your owner has to decide wither to keep an important piece (pushing them over the cap for multiple years), or trading/releasing that player to save money; but title hopes are ended right their.

The last two years we have added an AVERAGE of 8 new players. The team is obviously trying to improve and has been consistently. In other words.. there is no cap for this team like people want to put. They range from 2nd round exit to NBA finals depending on health and the moves they make.

If the clips didn't do that, would their even be a discussion right now if Cp3 was leaving or staying? NO!

We don't know if the front office did all of this, to insure that Blake signed last season, and Cp3 signs this season. We will find out 2yrs from now, when both players are locked in and they cant go anywhere.

Time will tell... But yes, the clips have been making moves ( whatever Cp3 wanted, Cp3 got... If you want to take that as a good thing, more power to you ).

richiesaurus310
06-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Trade Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to Orlando for Aaron Afflalo.

Trade DeAndre to any team who needs a center and has cap space- Dallas, Cleveland, Atlanta, Phili, etc.

Sign David West or Paul Millsap

The players on the Clippers roster for next season with DeAndre, Caron, and Bledsoe traded:
Chris Paul $18,000,000
Blake Griffin $17,348,924
Aaron Afflalo $7,750,000
Jamal Crawford $5,225,000
Willie Green $1,399,507

Total- $49,723,431
Cap room- $8,776,569 for Millsap or West.

The starting 5 would be very small, but a power forward who can shoot would really help out Blake Griffin. In the short term this is the best way for the Clippers to win a title now other than a ridiculously one sided Dwight sign and trade involving Deandre Jordan. And no the Clippers aren't trading Blake Griffin for Dwight.
Paul
Afflalo
SF
Griffin
Millsap or West

Crawford
Green

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
So you want me to judge them by a future roster, that doesn't even exist as of right now. Of course the Clips will try to get better, but until that new roster gets battle tested in the playoffs, al I could do, is say that they should make it to the 2nd rd.

It's clear that they did not want Cp3 to walk... The rest will be proven years down the line.

Example: When your owner has to decide wither to keep an important piece (pushing them over the cap for multiple years), or trading/releasing that player to save money; but title hopes are ended right their.

If the clips didn't do that, would their even be a discussion right now if Cp3 was leaving or staying? NO!

We don't know if the front office did all of this, to insure that Blake signed last season, and Cp3 signs this season. We will find out 2yrs from now, when both players are locked in and they cant go anywhere.

Time will tell... But yes, the clips have been making moves ( whatever Cp3 wanted, Cp3 got... If you want to take that as a good thing, more power to you ).

Before the CP3 trade the Clippers started getting aggressive to build around Blake. Don't act like everything is to appease CP3 because you clearly don't know what's going on. Is that a part of it? No ****. Even that in itself is impressive when you compare it to teams in recent years that failed to appease their superstars like the Jazz, Cavs, Nuggets etc... all organizations with a way better reputation than the Clippers. Look at the Lakers+Dwight now in comparison.

Dade County
06-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Before the CP3 trade the Clippers started getting aggressive to build around Blake. Don't act like everything is to appease CP3 because you clearly don't know what's going on. Is that a part of it? No ****. Even that in itself is impressive when you compare it to teams in recent years that failed to appease their superstars like the Jazz, Cavs, Nuggets etc... all organizations with a way better reputation than the Clippers. Look at the Lakers+Dwight now in comparison.

Lets see if Donald Sterling keeps on spending after Cp3 is locked up (hopefully he does).

And you really can't compare how the Lakers are handling things with Howard, they are wayyyyyy over the cap, and the CBA/stern/owners have crippled them.

And before I forget, can you name me the free agents that they brought in, when they started building around Blake, as you say (before Cp3 came, please)?

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Caron Butler and Chauncey Billups were signed prior to CP3 trade which was right before the season started. Although the process started with Blake considering the whole reason we traded for CP3 in the first place was to get help for Blake and go to the next level. Obviously a team not serious about winning doesn't even get CP3 in the first place does it?

I didn't say the Clippers have been serious about winning for a long time. It did start with Blake though in about 09 that we really started trying to acquire more talent, sign better players etc. Of course CP3's free agency increases the urgency and stakes but to act like CP3's free agency is the only thing driving the team is ignorant.

Cracka2HI!
06-27-2013, 03:09 AM
Caron Butler and Chauncey Billups were signed prior to CP3 trade which was right before the season started. Although the process started with Blake considering the whole reason we traded for CP3 in the first place was to get help for Blake and go to the next level. Obviously a team not serious about winning doesn't even get CP3 in the first place does it?

I didn't say the Clippers have been serious about winning for a long time. It did start with Blake though in about 09 that we really started trying to acquire more talent, sign better players etc. Of course CP3's free agency increases the urgency and stakes but to act like CP3's free agency is the only thing driving the team is ignorant.

I can't believe you would post that. That isn't close to ture. The team has been trying to win for at least a decade. You can't just spend your way to contention when you had the Clippers reputation. Remember the super talented Odom, Miles, Q-Rich ect...that team traded for Elton Brand and then Andre Miller. It just didn't work out. None of those players turned out to worth the money they got...except Brand and Maggette who were retained. The team made a run at Kobe freaking Bryant for Gods sake! That wasn't trying to win? Do you remember that we thought we had him? We cut Eddie House and someone else to create the cap space to offer him the max.

The team got successful with Brand, Cassell, Modley and Livingston. That team tried to trade Maggette for Artest but Maggette failed his physical. Was that not trying to win? Then Livingstons leg fell off, Brand blew out his ankle and it went to ****...same old Clipper curse right? NOPE! Sterling has been willing to spend for a long time now. It just takes a long time to completely change a reputation and he will never spend foolishly, even know. Doesn't mean he's not going to spend the money it takes to win a title.

bholly
06-27-2013, 03:09 AM

Cp3
Melo
Howard

Cp3
Blake
Howard

That's a pretty ridiculous post. There's a lot more to it than just three guys. You could fill out either of those trios with supporting casts that are never getting them to the finals, and you could fill out a CP3/Blake or CP3/Howard or CP3/Melo duo with a supporting cast of non-stars that can get to (and win) the finals. The "these trios get them to the finals, other things won't" is ridiculous.

Pierce is ours if bought out. Afflalo will help. Maybe somebody like Korver or a good backup center.

That's far from a lock. Part of the NBA's comments after saying no trades was that they'd rule on other things like FA signings - eg exactly this - as they come up, right?. It's going a long way to assume that they'll rule it okay, especially after what happened earlier this week.

Griffin
Jordan
Bledsoe
Butler
CP3 (assumed)
Crawford

LLE? Do you mean Bi-Annual Exception (BAE)? If so, I'm pretty sure you don't have that.

You get the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (MLE) of $5.150m if it doesn't take you above the tax apron, and then you get hard-capped for the season at the tax apron level. If you do that you can also use the BAE of $2.016m, but only if you haven't used it the year before - and the Clippers used it last year on Grant Hill, and as far as I know, him retiring doesn't get it back.

You get the taxpayer mid-level exception (mini-MLE) of $3.183m if you're above the apron. In this case, you can't use the BAE.

You get the room mid-level exception (I guess room-MLE) of $2.652m if you go far enough below the cap that you lose the other exceptions. The Clippers won't go that low (unless they cut serious salary to sign Dwight outright). In this case, you can't use the BAE.

You're only in one of the above three categories. So the Clippers will have one significant exception - either the MLE, mini-MLE, or room-MLE - and after that it's rookie signings (guys you drafted, not guys you traded for after the draft) and min-salary guys.

Source:http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Love this post. Knowledgeable and exactly similar to what the team is planning to do I'm sure with the exception of Billups, he needs to go. We basically need shooters+better backup big. Don't forget though we are likely drafting pretty NBA ready wing to help with that in Hardaway Jr, Crabbe or Jamaal Franklin. O'neil, Reddick, Korver and Dunleavy will all be targets. Like you said all we have really are MLE, mini mid, draft and Bledsoe or DJ trade.

As above, you don't get both. It's either/or.

Trade Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to Orlando for Aaron Afflalo.

Trade DeAndre to any team who needs a center and has cap space- Dallas, Cleveland, Atlanta, Phili, etc.

Sign David West or Paul Millsap

The players on the Clippers roster for next season with DeAndre, Caron, and Bledsoe traded:
Chris Paul $18,000,000
Blake Griffin $17,348,924
Aaron Afflalo $7,750,000
Jamal Crawford $5,225,000
Willie Green $1,399,507

Total- $49,723,431
Cap room- $8,776,569 for Millsap or West.

You're leaving out roster-size cap holds. For every player less than 12 on your roster, you have a cap hold of the rookie min - which this year is $490,180. So with that 5-man roster you need to add 7 of them, or $3,431,260. You've also forgotten whoever you draft at #25, which will be $957,500 (if you don't trade him).
So not that much overall, but very significant in than it leaves you with less than MLE money for the guys you want, and they're worth much more than that. You'd have the MLE too, but they're worth more than that as well, and you can't combine that with your cap room.

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 09:23 AM
I can't believe you would post that. That isn't close to ture. The team has been trying to win for at least a decade. You can't just spend your way to contention when you had the Clippers reputation. Remember the super talented Odom, Miles, Q-Rich ect...that team traded for Elton Brand and then Andre Miller. It just didn't work out. None of those players turned out to worth the money they got...except Brand and Maggette who were retained. The team made a run at Kobe freaking Bryant for Gods sake! That wasn't trying to win? Do you remember that we thought we had him? We cut Eddie House and someone else to create the cap space to offer him the max.

The team got successful with Brand, Cassell, Modley and Livingston. That team tried to trade Maggette for Artest but Maggette failed his physical. Was that not trying to win? Then Livingstons leg fell off, Brand blew out his ankle and it went to ****...same old Clipper curse right? NOPE! Sterling has been willing to spend for a long time now. It just takes a long time to completely change a reputation and he will never spend foolishly, even know. Doesn't mean he's not going to spend the money it takes to win a title.

The team started spending on players about a decade ago as you said but there is more to getting serious about winning than just paying players. I personally felt the big shift in Sterling/Roeser when we added Blake. Sure he also gave Dunleavy a big contract but like I said something about Blake seemed to change Sterling inside. I guess you can say things changed when we traded for Brand (very good move) and started signing people but Blake was the start of the current momentum.

Dade County
06-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Never said it was the only thing... But of course like you said it's the driving force.

That's a pretty ridiculous post. There's a lot more to it than just three guys. You could fill out either of those trios with supporting casts that are never getting them to the finals, and you could fill out a CP3/Blake or CP3/Howard or CP3/Melo duo with a supporting cast of non-stars that can get to (and win) the finals. The "these trios get them to the finals, other things won't" is ridiculous.

I was going by their current roster, because thats all I can judge them by as of right now (but yes, they will try to make moves) ... and so I created a fictional trio, that I feel can make it to the finals.

Because players might take less (proven by past Laker teams, and current HEAT run) to join the trio... and when the playoffs come around, stars surely shine in the biggest moments.

But yes, it goes with out saying, you still have to build a good roster around your stars.

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Never said it was the only thing... But of course like you said it's the driving force.

I was going by their current roster, because thats all I can judge them by as of right now (but yes, they will try to make moves) ... and so I created a fictional trio, that I feel can make it to the finals.

Because players might take less (proven by past Laker teams, and current HEAT run) to join the trio... and when the playoffs come around, stars surely shine in the biggest moments.

But yes, it goes with out saying, you still have to build a good roster around your stars.

Although as I said already the only current NBA duo with more staying power is the Westbrook/Durant duo as they are both 24 years old. Griffin is 24, CP3 27. Wade is breaking down rapidly so I give the Heat 2-3 years max with that duo at a high level. Duncan will be retired in a year or two, ending that epic duo. Most teams are lucky to have one perennial all star/cornerstone and we have two young ones soon to be locked up for 5 years minimum.

No matter who we put around them... Doc is going to get the max out of CP3+Blake so we will be contenders for years to come regardless. Will we be favorites? Not necessarily. Will we be in the mix now with the epic coaching staff+Blake+CP3 going forward? Hell yes.

Dade County
06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Although as I said already the only current NBA duo with more staying power is the Westbrook/Durant duo as they are both 24 years old. Griffin is 24, CP3 27. Wade is breaking down rapidly so I give the Heat 2-3 years max with that duo at a high level. Duncan will be retired in a year or two, ending that epic duo. Most teams are lucky to have one perennial all star/cornerstone and we have two young ones soon to be locked up for 5 years minimum.

So you are estimating that the Clippers window to win a ring is 3yrs from now?

No matter who we put around them... Doc is going to get the max out of CP3+Blake so we will be contenders for years to come regardless. Will we be favorites? Not necessarily. Will we be in the mix now with the epic coaching staff+Blake+CP3 going forward? Hell yes.

Yes you will be in the Mix... But I feel you have too much faith in Blake developing into a serious threat out their on the court. Blake is a good player don't get me wrong, but he is limited as of right now; if he can grow and add to his game, then yes, Clippers can be in the western conference mix.

But I feel that if west didn't get hurt, it might have been OKC vs the HEAT in the finals again, not Spurs. How do you think clips vs OKC stacks up ( duo vs duo, down the years )?

Clippersfan86
06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Not necessarily (will the window now start for 3-5 years) but obviously as long as Wade is performing and you gotta go through Durant+Westbrook every year it's going to be very tough. Clippers as already noted have the tough disadvantage of playing in the west. A 7 or 8 seed in the west could probably push a 2-3 seed in the east to 7 games.

I think matchup wise OKC/Clippers were pretty even in recent years and will continue to be. We beat them 3-1 two years ago, they beat us 3-1 last year although most games were competitive. Griffin destroys OKC/Ibaka and Durant destroys us. I think now that we clearly have the better coaches it will favor the Clippers if they can develop DJ+Blake more and fill in with better wing talent (such as Bledsoe for Afflalo). In this league the most you can really ask for is to be in the championship MIX, which is basically a final 4 team usually.

As long as Lebron as this dominant it's going to be hard to be favored against him for anybody but it doesn't mean he can't lose.

Stinkyoutsider
06-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Clippers have very good coaching now so they must concentrate on getting the roster right...

First thing is first, find a taker for Deandre Jordan. I would certainly move him to the bench if he wasn't making so much money so I think the only way to get a return on this is to move him. I know him and Griffin are best friends, but I think Rivers will have a much easier time turning Griffin's mindset around (seems spoiled) to be a class pro.

Next, either find a taker for Caron Butler or bring him off the bench. I still think he has enough talent to play in the rotation off the bench but the Clippers need at least one wing player who can create their own shot. If I'm Rivers, I can't depend on Paul to do all of the creating offensively. I need a wing who can do this too.

And, don't forget about the big to pair next to Griffin. First of all, they need a guy who can make some free throws because I wouldn't want both him and Griffin in the game at the same time if both struggle from the line. Has to be a tough minded guy who can motivate Griffin to play at top level and also defend the rim. Would be nice to sign Bynum if he wasn't so injury prone and wanted so much money.

If the Clippers can do those things, I believe they'll be able to compete and come out of the West to fight for a title.