PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: "I'm going to make DeMarcus Cousins the best big man in the game"

sacgiants1213
06-26-2013, 02:53 AM
MENLO PARK (CBS13) — Owners of the Sacramento Kings are meeting with Shaquille O’Neal tonight in Sacramento.

Vivek Ranadive and Mark Mastrov sat down for dinner with the TNT analyst and former Los Angeles Lakers star at the Rosewood Sand Hill in Melo Park.

Three months after O’Neal said he thought the Kings were sold and gone at the NBA All-Star Game in Houston, the all-star center said he’s going to help tutor DeMarcus Cousins.

O’Neal said, “I’m going to make DeMarcus Cousins the best big man in the game.”

O’Neal also praised the planned new Kings arena, which won a Sacramento City Council vote to approve $6.5 million in funding for the project.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/06/25/shaq-meeting-with-kings-owners-says-hell-make-cousins-best-big-man-in-the-game/#

If Shaq can't get through to Cousins then all hope is lost.

RiceOnTheRun
06-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Oh man. I'm not sure what to think of this, but who better to get to Cousins than Shaq. Dude's a clown but when it came to game-time he was legit. He needs to get that into his head, he can have his ***** and giggles off the court but you can't **** around during a game.

Either way, I agree, if the most dominant big man in recent history can't get through to him he's a goner.

Knowledge
06-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Out of all of the great big men in NBA history, Shaq is the one I would least want to be tutored by. His physical gifts were a unique combination that have yet to be matched by any other big man in NBA history. He wasn't a technician in the paint, he was just a walking mass of domination.

That said, it can't hurt Cousins to give him a chance.

sharqstealth
06-26-2013, 03:22 AM
He's going to teach Cousins how to miss free throws

boogie-reke
06-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Oh man. I'm not sure what to think of this, but who better to get to Cousins than Shaq. Dude's a clown but when it came to game-time he was legit. He needs to get that into his head, he can have his ***** and giggles off the court but you can't **** around during a game.

Either way, I agree, if the most dominant big man in recent history can't get through to him he's a goner.

DeMarcus isn't fooling around or doing it on purpose.

He gets caught up in the moment and frustrated, usually over fouls called/not called by refs, and it takes him out of the game too many times.

DeMarcus needs more professional help in terms of keeping his cool and emotions in, and learning how not to go overboard and let it affect him that much - don't see where Shaq helps here personally atleast in that department.

Shaq is an all-time great bigman though, and while he prolly can't teach him how to be as strong and tall as he was - he's almost a 20 year veteran in this league and knows all the shticks inside out as far as bigmen go - just having someone to guide him and talk to him with Shaq's credibility is a positive step.

krisxsong
06-26-2013, 03:55 AM
DeMarcus Cousins always had the ability to be the best big man in the NBA. His immaturity and lack of control over his emotions are his downfall/

JEDean89
06-26-2013, 04:00 AM
shaq just has a vendetta against dwight howard.

CityofChaos
06-26-2013, 04:13 AM
Shaq is just as immature as Cousins so how is this going to work?

krisxsong
06-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Shaq is just as immature as Cousins so how is this going to work?

Just as immature as Cousins? :facepalm:

FarOutIos
06-26-2013, 04:23 AM
As a kings fan, I hated shaq and his little sacramento "queens" comments. I also don't think shaq can really help coach Cousins. BUT... I think shaq can help mentor him. I think the fact that shaq and cousins are similar in how they are perceived as immature (shaq while playing and cousins currently) can either be a completely genius move, or a complete failure.

All we need is for shaq to take the basketball work ethic and dedication more seriously. If Shaq can share his insights as to what he learned over time, this can be successful.

arlubas
06-26-2013, 04:25 AM
Out of all of the great big men in NBA history, Shaq is the one I would least want to be tutored by. His physical gifts were a unique combination that have yet to be matched by any other big man in NBA history. He wasn't a technician in the paint, he was just a walking mass of domination.
People seem to repeat this every time, when it comes to Shaq. Sure, the man had one of the most gifted bodies a post player could wish for but if he only had that he wouldn't have been able to carve out the career that he did. He may not have been the skilled wizard that Hakeem was but he wasn't just a piece of meat, the guy knew how to play, whether that was post moves, using his body effectively, being a very effective passer and a good shot blocker. He definitely has stuff that can help a guy like Cousins out because he also plays the power game. Plus like someone else said, he was (is) immature as well but when game time was around he wasn't messing around.

LAcowBOMBER
06-26-2013, 04:26 AM
As a Laker fan, I cringe at the thought of Shaq helping the "Queens"(his word)

OceanSpray
06-26-2013, 05:34 AM
The biggest fools are the ones who think Shaq can actually help Cousins. If you've ever heard Shaq give advice -specifically on Dwight, he has the wrong interpretation. He thinks everyone was as physical and gifted as him.

seikou8
06-26-2013, 06:25 AM

:laugh2:

sunsfan88
06-26-2013, 07:02 AM
I can totally envision a Shaq-Cousins fight going down next season.

naps
06-26-2013, 07:07 AM
I love Shaq but if it happens this could be the end Cousins. Shaq never strikes me as a good teacher.

GMpunk
06-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Cousins iz way over rated.... so any help should be welcome

Chrisclover
06-26-2013, 08:58 AM
dude, you are so mean. lol

Chrisclover
06-26-2013, 09:00 AM
you mean arguing or a real fight? either one is hilarious

I can totally envision a Shaq-Cousins fight going down next season.

krrys11
06-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Maybe....but I see a big potential in him.
If Shaq makes him more physical he can be a force IMO , specially that there is less and less physical players

sunsfan88
06-26-2013, 09:16 AM
you mean arguing or a real fight? either one is hilarious

Real fight. Arguing is too mainstream for Cousins and Shaq lol.

Chrisclover
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
and he is asking for a max contract. to me , he is sort of cocky

Chrisclover
06-26-2013, 09:46 AM
then Cousins will be crushed by shaq who has put on tons of fat since retirement. what a tragedy!just like a soft kitty being crushed by a truck.hahhahahahah

Real fight. Arguing is too mainstream for Cousins and Shaq lol.

DreamShaker
06-26-2013, 01:03 PM
People seem to repeat this every time, when it comes to Shaq. Sure, the man had one of the most gifted bodies a post player could wish for but if he only had that he wouldn't have been able to carve out the career that he did. He may not have been the skilled wizard that Hakeem was but he wasn't just a piece of meat, the guy knew how to play, whether that was post moves, using his body effectively, being a very effective passer and a good shot blocker. He definitely has stuff that can help a guy like Cousins out because he also plays the power game. Plus like someone else said, he was (is) immature as well but when game time was around he wasn't messing around.

Yup. Shaq knew how to utilize his gifts. He will be a great tutor for DMC.

sjbirds
06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Shaq was lazy..he was just so much bigger and stronger then everyone.. go to the dream

HouRealCoach
06-26-2013, 01:32 PM
If only someone could now work with Tyreke Evans and Kings hire a coach who runs the offense through those two while surrounding them with defenders & shooters

Mr.ATLHawks
06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

That said, it can't hurt Cousins to give him a chance.

I would disagree with Shaq not being a technician in the paint. Sure he was big, but when has that made anyone an automatic HOF'er? Shaq had a few go to moves plus he PG vision in the post and ability to read double teams. I dont agree witht he "Shaq was good because he was big" theory. Dwight Howard is big and he couldnt lick Shaq's boots..

C_Mund
06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

Agreed, well said. People seem to watch Shaq dunk but never watched the footwork that got him in position, and they also ignored his phenominal passing. Cousins is a bit different in that he has the ability to play further from the basket, but learning how Shaq maneuvered down low can only help his %'s, which is the biggest knock outside of his mental issues.

JonnyBrav000
06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/06/25/shaq-meeting-with-kings-owners-says-hell-make-cousins-best-big-man-in-the-game/#

If Shaq can't get through to Cousins then all hope is lost.

LOL, Demarcus needs the help of Dr. Phil more than Shaq. Demarcus is already a good player, he just needs to get his priorities straight, how is someone like Shaq going to help with that? Shaq isn't known to be the most likeable among players. He's a cocky clown similar to Demarcus, however when it comes to game time Shaq did his thing, but being 7'0 and over 300 pounds is not something you can teach and it's not like Shaq was known to be a gym rat. So what is he going to teach him??? Seriously? I hope it's not how to shoot free throws. I think Patrick Ewing or Hakeem Olajuwon would be much better options for the kid, seriously.

FriedTofuz
06-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Cousins needs to see a psychiatrist for his mental health, not shaq, nor bill russel, not anyone.

chitownredbulls
06-26-2013, 02:27 PM
The biggest fools are the ones who think Shaq can actually help Cousins. If you've ever heard Shaq give advice -specifically on Dwight, he has the wrong interpretation. He thinks everyone was as physical and gifted as him.

The biggest fool is you!!!! Hahaha dumbass...

phantasyyy
06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
some of you posters are hilarious in how you so easily discredit shaqs accomplishments. He may seem like an immature goof that was blessed with an monstrous body, but dude had skill. His low post skills/feet work were incredible for somebody his size.

Dude wasn't just some scrub in a huge body.. he can definitely help demarcus build up his confidence in going down to the post and dominate.

martin_108
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Is shaq a psychologist cuz Cousins problem isn't talent its mental once he gets over that he can easily become a dominat big man top.3 no question imo ....Dwight I think will be the best center in the league for the next few years he seemed to get over that back surgery was looking good towards end of last season

MrfadeawayJB
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Cousins has more skills than shaq, shaq had more mass and height. He just bullied people

Eg714
06-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Shaq has a lot of skill. He's big but very coordinated. Should help out cousins a lot if he pays attention.

RiceOnTheRun
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
I would disagree with Shaq not being a technician in the paint. Sure he was big, but when has that made anyone an automatic HOF'er? Shaq had a few go to moves plus he PG vision in the post and ability to read double teams. I dont agree witht he "Shaq was good because he was big" theory. Dwight Howard is big and he couldnt lick Shaq's boots..

Dude could ball. He didn't just stand there waiting for a dunk, he'd actually throw down some legit paint moves.

Shaq was lazy..he was just so much bigger and stronger then everyone.. go to the dream

DMC has the potential to be a human wrecking ball. If anything, Shaq's the best teacher for that. Not say he wouldn't learn anything from the Dream, but learning from Shaq doesn't hurt either. He'll teach him how to maximize the use of his size.

I love Shaq but if it happens this could be the end Cousins. Shaq never strikes me as a good teacher.

When it comes down to straight-up physical dominance, Shaq is the GOAT. When he's backing you down, you either double(or triple?) him or foul him. He had finesse as well, but that complemented his physical strength rather than replace it.

stawka
06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Cousins is a naturally solid guy, much like Shaq was. Obviously not AS big, but did you see Shaq when he entered the league?

Cousins can BANG, he just doesn't do it as often as I'd like. He's a tough young guy, with a **** attitude. I'm sure if Shaq is coaching you, you'd STFU and listen and get the best out of it

It can't hurt to give it a go, and definitely a smart move by the Kings

D-Leethal
06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't know whats worse, Shaq puppydogging the 'Queens' or the Kings puppydogging Shaq.

ztilzer31
06-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Cousins has more skills than shaq, shaq had more mass and height. He just bullied people

Not really true. I mean it's true that he was just too powerfull, and dominated the paint, but when Shaq was at his best he was landing his jump hook. When he landed his jump hook he was gonna go for 35+ with over 70% shooting and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it.

mavs11
06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
hey guys i believe in kazaam

Mr_Jones
06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
I just don't understand how you can teach someone brute strength.

Mr_Jones
06-26-2013, 10:54 PM
hey guys i believe in kazaam

Nothing wrong with that. You believe in what you want, and I'll support you through-and-through.

Mwauh. Big kisses.

OceanSpray
06-26-2013, 10:58 PM

You're the biggest fool. Have you ever watched Shaq play? He wasn't a very skilled player. He was just physically destructive to the point where he backed you up and dunked on you anytime he wanted. Clearly I don't think you watched basketball. Shaq can't possibly teach Cousins anything other than how to mature as a player. For example, Shaq was a general manager for an All Star game and he thought a team full of PG's can beat a well constructed team just because the team of PG's were quicker. How wrong was Shaq? Shaq thinks Blake Griffin will be the best player after LeBron. Shaq thinks all Dwight needs to do is get a hook shot and he'll dominate. If you ever listened to Shaq give advice, he's as big of a dummy as MJ in terms of advice. If anyone should be teaching a big man, it's Hakeem. Shaq has nothing to teach. Not everyone can be as big, strong, and dominant as he was. That's like saying you can teach someone how to be like LeBron or Jordan.

mavs11
06-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Nothing wrong with that. You believe in what you want, and I'll support you through-and-through.

Mwauh. Big kisses.

i was just kidding about that

GunFactor187
06-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Good luck with that Shaq, but sorry to break the news...Andre Drummond is already on track to be the best big man. :D

Kyben36
06-26-2013, 11:14 PM
my coment to this is simple, I dont think Cousins needs shaqs help, I think that Cousins come 2 years is by far the best C in the league, this said, what he needs is a Physiologist because all of his problems are mental, not physical, not tallent, but just being smart on the court. and not offense to shaq but he isnt the best candidate to fix that.

Mr_Jones
06-26-2013, 11:17 PM
i was just kidding about that

I wasn't.

Mr_Jones
06-26-2013, 11:19 PM

But why? Shaq can't teach him how to be as athletic or strong as he was. Demarcus is a different kind of player. Shaq wasn't very skilled at all, so I don't know how he can teach him too much on the offensive side, really. I'm sure he has some tricks defensively or something, but I could be wrong.

This just doesn't seem to be something that can do too much.

True Sports Fan
06-27-2013, 03:46 AM
So Shaq averaged 20+ PPG with INSANE efficiency even though he has no talented? NBA forum is even dumber then I thought... Shaq was ****ing dominate.

And to all the clowns calling Kings 'Queens' get the **** out.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I actually like this for DMC.

Shaq can help teach him how to use his size/strength and play a bit more above the rim.

DMC could really use some help in those areas. He plays too much of a finesse game at times, which can lower his efficiency because his finesse skills aren't all that great.

His size and strength is his ticket in this league and Shaq may be able to help him improve the use of that "tickect" so to speak.

As far as DMC's attitude is concerned....who gives a hoot? As long as he isn't killing people like Aaron Hernandez, I could care less. What matters is his performance on the court. He needs to improve his efficiency in the paint. He has the size and strength to excel down there, but hasn't lived up to it so far.

RaiderLakersA's
06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
If Shaquille "Company Time" O'neal shows up for these training sessions, Cousins will feel right at home and won't learn a damn thing.

But if Shaq "Playoffs are here, Kobe, I'll take over now and get all of the credit" shows up, yes, it will help Cousins' game. Not the attitude. Not the approach. But his game.

Shaq was dominant because of his physical attributes and his low post game. He was very fast and nimble for a walking mountain. Physical gifts aside, Shaq was also intelligent and coachable on the floor. I think he does have something to offer a young athlete, but I would question if his methodology is sound. After all, his tactics do not appear to be working too well for Dwight.