PDA

View Full Version : Since we basically traded coaches..

sacgiants1213
06-26-2013, 02:08 AM
What can Canucks fans, like myself, expect to see with John Tortorella? How is his approach to winning games different than Vigneault's? What are his main philosophies? What did you like/dislike about Tortorella?

I figured the best source to get Torts info would be Rangers fans.

metswon69
06-26-2013, 02:34 AM
A lot of dump and chase offensively. He'll shorten ice time for some of the younger guys who he feels aren't filling their defensive responsibilities. There is obviously also a big emphasis on blocking shots and playing assignment hockey.

I like Tort's honesty with the media to some extent (he's great for a soundbite) and the fact that he makes his players be accountable but conversely he can tend to call out his players publicly and be very abrasive with the media as well. To me he's a guy who has a very short shelf life because he's very good at the X's and O's but bad at handling individual personalities.

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Your Canuck team just got tougher and better. Torts is a Tom Coughlin type coach. He's a throw back coach who loves his players and is a strict disciplinarian. In NY, it was a bunch of kids who needed discipline in the defensive end while the Canucks have more veterans so the likely will adapt to the maturity on that roster.

Torts got a raw deal in NY and don't believe the b.s. the media spews or the fans that listen to Larry Brooks b/c they wouldn't recognize a puck if it hit them in the teeth. :)

nyr2002nyr
06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Torts will make them tougher and they will have play better in thier own end but he will wear his welcome out within 3 years. He will also act like a clown to the media and he does not do well getting young players up to speed.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 01:10 PM
I watched the press conference and it was a really great q & a. He looks like he'll be better with the media in Vancouver. Part of that will be on him but I also don't think he'll be as frustraed as he was here. The NY media is pretty oblivious to hockey.

He said the Sedins would block shots. He said look at Chicago, they're collapsing and blocking shots. Just because you play defense doesn't mean you can't score. He said every coach in the league would like more offense but you still have to play defense.

Basically, he's a smart coach and he'll push the players until they decide they don't want to be pushed anymore.

sacgiants1213
06-26-2013, 03:11 PM
For the past 3 years, the Canucks biggest issue has been scoring goals. Considering the Rangers have more offensive talent than the Canucks how does Tortorella expect to fix this goal problem?

bsi
06-26-2013, 03:15 PM
I watched the press conference and it was a really great q & a. He looks like he'll be better with the media in Vancouver. Part of that will be on him but I also don't think he'll be as frustraed as he was here. The NY media is pretty oblivious to hockey.

He said the Sedins would block shots. He said look at Chicago, they're collapsing and blocking shots. Just because you play defense doesn't mean you can't score. He said every coach in the league would like more offense but you still have to play defense.

Basically, he's a smart coach and he'll push the players until they decide they don't want to be pushed anymore.

Henrik Sedin has 125 blocked shots in his career; Ryan Callahan had 134 the past two seasons

bsi
06-26-2013, 03:18 PM
For the past 3 years, the Canucks biggest issue has been scoring goals. Considering the Rangers have more offensive talent than the Canucks how does Tortorella expect to fix this goal problem?

I think Vancouver's biggest problem has been keeping Ryan Kesler healthy really. They have a really good top 3 forwards in the Sedins and Kesler but their offense trails off from there. Jordan Schroeder should help that a bit if Torts can use him properly. Alex Burrows is decent offensively when used in the right situations as well and they have some depth scoring as well. To me I always thought the Sedins should be split to get one of them away from the top pair D but they love playing together so who knows.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Henrik Sedin has 125 blocked shots in his career; Ryan Callahan had 134 the past two seasons

Torts said in the press conference that the Sedins would block shots. He brought up Callahan and said they weren't going to be playing like him but they'd still have to block shots.

sacgiants1213
06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Torts said in the press conference that the Sedins would block shots. He brought up Callahan and said they weren't going to be playing like him but they'd still have to block shots.

That was the one thing in the PC that i wasn't happy about. I don't think it makes much sense to put your 12M best players in position to get hurt. Daniel Sedin already suffered a broken foot blocking a shot a couple years ago. Don't want to see that happen again.

sacgiants1213
06-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I think Vancouver's biggest problem has been keeping Ryan Kesler healthy really. They have a really good top 3 forwards in the Sedins and Kesler but their offense trails off from there. Jordan Schroeder should help that a bit if Torts can use him properly. Alex Burrows is decent offensively when used in the right situations as well and they have some depth scoring as well. To me I always thought the Sedins should be split to get one of them away from the top pair D but they love playing together so who knows.

Even when Kesler was healthy the offense did nothing. Tortorella did say that blocking shots will lead to more offensive scoring chances, but I'm not so sure... :shrug: besides we don't have any players that can consistently score goals.

bsi
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Tortorella makes his first mistake in Vancouver and the season isn't even started. Why would you throw your two superstars in front of shots? Making them block shots is like paying a plumber to do your taxes, it doesn't make sense. The both of them will be missing time next year do to injuries. The reason you have players like Maholtra, Lapierre, Booth, Burrows etc is so your top players can be ready to go 5 on 5 or on the PP, they shouldn't be out there laying on the ice in front of a 100mph slapshot, especially when they are usually top 5 in the league in points. You lose one or both of them and the season is over.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Tortorella makes his first mistake in Vancouver and the season isn't even started. Why would you throw your two superstars in front of shots? Making them block shots is like paying a plumber to do your taxes, it doesn't make sense. The both of them will be missing time next year do to injuries. The reason you have players like Maholtra, Lapierre, Booth, Burrows etc is so your top players can be ready to go 5 on 5 or on the PP, they shouldn't be out there laying on the ice in front of a 100mph slapshot, especially when they are usually top 5 in the league in points. You lose one or both of them and the season is over.

You have to block shots when you collapse. It's part of the game. It doesn't mean they're gonna block 60 shots in a season and it doesn't mean they have to dive in front of 100mph slap shots.

How many wrist shots did Nash have blocked in the playoffs? How many of his shots went off of players ankles? That kind of stuff has to be done to neutralize scoring.

bsi
06-26-2013, 04:01 PM
You have to block shots when you collapse. It's part of the game. It doesn't mean they're gonna block 60 shots in a season and it doesn't mean they have to dive in front of 100mph slap shots.

How many wrist shots did Nash have blocked in the playoffs? How many of his shots went off of players ankles? That kind of stuff has to be done to neutralize scoring.

Nash or the Sedins shouldn't be expected to block shots on a PK, while that's effective for a PK then then let the 3rd liners take care of that part of the game. Having the Sedins on the shelf because of a PK is ridiculous and reckless, nevermind the fact that they'll be unable to play the next 5 on 5 shift when the kill is over, and then who's on the ice? Booth, Maholtra and Burrows? Doesn't make sense, sure if those guys just got off the ice and the Sedins absolutely have to PK then yes but it shouldn't be your game plan to start the season to use your best forwards as shot blockers.

bsi
06-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Even when Kesler was healthy the offense did nothing. Tortorella did say that blocking shots will lead to more offensive scoring chances, but I'm not so sure... :shrug: besides we don't have any players that can consistently score goals.

Oh, I didn't realize Tortorella was an offensive guru hahaha...you'd never guess that here in NY where we struggled to find goal scoring yet blocked more shots than anyone in the league outside of maybe Boston.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Oh, I didn't realize Tortorella was an offensive guru hahaha...you'd never guess that here in NY where we struggled to find goal scoring yet blocked more shots than anyone in the league outside of maybe Boston.

More incorrect statements. What if I told you that the Islanders have blocked more shots than the Rangers over the past two seasons?

bsi
06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
More incorrect statements. What if I told you that the Islanders have blocked more shots than the Rangers over the past two seasons?

I wasn't talking about the last two seasons, John Tortorella was here for 4 seasons and the Islanders only made the playoffs one year over Tortorella's time here and even so I'm sure we've blocked more shots over the last two years considering we were the top shot blocking team in the NHL playoffs last year.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
I wasn't talking about the last two seasons, John Tortorella was here for 4 seasons and the Islanders never even made the playoffs the previous 3 years so I'm sure we've blocked more shots over the last two years considering we were the top shot blocking team in the NHL playoffs last year.

2012-2013: Rangers 6th in blocked shots
2011-2012: Rangers 4th in blocked shots
2010-2011: Rangers 4th in blocked shots
2009-2010: Rangers 11th in blocked shots

2012-2013: Islanders 7th in blocked shots
2011-2012: Islanders 1st in blocked shots
2010-2011: Islanders 1st in blocked shots
2009-2010: Islanders 2nd in blocked shots

The Rangers aren't even the biggest shot blocking team in NY. Based on these facts it would appear that the Islanders focus more on it. Don't think I've ever heard Capuano criticized for it.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2013, 04:46 PM
The top shot blocking teams did not generally fare well in this years playoffs. In fact I just saw this blocked shot related article.

The Chicago Blackhawks are champions again, winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in four years. They were the best team in the NHL from start to finish during the season, roaring out of the gate by going 24 games without a loss in regulation, earning the Presidents' Trophy with the best record in the league and then continuing that domination through the postseason.

There are three key numbers that you should keep in mind about this team and what it takes to win in the NHL.

Those numbers:

1.) Hits: 840. This number put them last in the NHL. Repeat. Last in the NHL.

2.) Blocked shots: 652. This number was 21st in the NHL. Again, near the bottom.http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22521602/three-key-stats-about-the-stanley-cup-champion-chicago-blackhawks

Considering the injuries our players suffered blocking shots I would be hesitant to insist our star offensive players block shots.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2013, 04:51 PM
This seasons blocked shot leaders in order:

NYI
MIN
MTL
NYR
SJ
WAS
TAM
DAL
CAR
EDM
TOR
NAS
PHI
WIN
ANA
CAL
STL
COL
OTT
BUF
PHO
PIT

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 04:59 PM
The top shot blocking teams did not generally fare well in this years playoffs. In fact I just saw this blocked shot related article.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22521602/three-key-stats-about-the-stanley-cup-champion-chicago-blackhawks

Considering the injuries our players suffered blocking shots I would be hesitant to insist our star offensive players block shots.

That article is primarily about the fenwick advanced stat which the Rangers scored pretty well in.

http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2012.php?sort=127&section=close

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 05:19 PM

The Rangers aren't even the biggest shot blocking team in NY. Based on these facts it would appear that the Islanders focus more on it. Don't think I've ever heard Capuano criticized for it.

The Islanders coach must have lost the locker room. Oh wait, Larry Brooks and the hacks with their un-named sources don't follow the Islanders.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Since the Sedins do not hit or block shots maybe we can get them over here. :)

metswon69
06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
The Islanders coach must have lost the locker room. Oh wait, Larry Brooks and the hacks with their un-named sources don't follow the Islanders.

Shouldn't that tell you the differences in the personality of coaches? Capuano gets a young team to play hard for him every single shift. Did the Rangers do that before the trade?

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 05:32 PM

The reason the Blackhawks were so low in these two categories wasn't that they lacked grit or toughness or compete level or any other hockey-related buzzword that you can throw out there. It was because of the simple fact that they had more skill than nearly every other team and had the puck way more than their opponents. You can't block shots or hit people when you're the one always playing with the puck.

You left that part of the article out when you quoted it. Adam Gretz is pimping out the Fenwick. Essentially, it's the only stat that matters according to the advanced stat guys and throw all the other stuff out the window. The Rangers were actually 7th in it.

One of the questions Torts was asked at the press conference was if he follows behindthenet. A lot of Vancouver fans were speculating that he was a big advanced stat guy because the Rangers advanced stats tend to show good puck possession.

bsi
06-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Where are the playoff stats? TOTAL SHOTS BLOCKED. Also....how has that been working out for the Isles?

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Where are the playoff stats? TOTAL SHOTS BLOCKED.

How can you use playoff stats when games played are all over the place? I'm sorry if 328 games isn't a big enough sample size to show that the Islanders have been blocking more shots.

bsi
06-26-2013, 05:38 PM
How can you use playoff stats when games played are all over the place? I'm sorry if 328 games isn't a big enough sample size to show that the Islanders have been blocking more shots.

I said the Rangers blocked more shots over Tortorella's tenure than probably anyone outside of Boston and it hasn't translated into goal scoring. Tell me where I'm wrong, the Rangers playoffs last year they lead the league in shots blocked and were scoring 1 or 2 goals a game. You said Tortorella said that shot blocking creates offense. That didn't work in NY otherwise we wouldn't be struggling to score since we're always over the course of the regular season and playoffs one of the highest shot blocking teams in the league. What is the problem with what I said?

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Shouldn't that tell you the differences in the personality of coaches? Capuano gets a young team to play hard for him every single shift. Did the Rangers do that before the trade?

Tell me the difference between the rosters of the past two years. I don't think it's sinking in. Basically, it's 100% the coach.

Name the roster changes for us.

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Sure - Torts will start with Cally, Dorsett & McD and the Rangers can score non-stop during the regular season until we crash into a defensive wall come playoff time and get swept.

metswon69
06-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Tell me the difference between the rosters of the past two years. I don't think it's sinking in. Basically, it's 100% the coach.

Name the roster changes for us.

These are stats you keep referencing. That Ranger team in 2011-2012 predicated themselves on blocking shots and being tough defensively. Meanwhile this Ranger team took a step back with more talent than the Islanders, as they were 2 points away from having the 6th seed themselves.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Sure - Torts will start with Cally, Dorsett & McD and the Rangers can score non-stop during the regular season until we crash into a defensive wall come playoff time and get swept.

He can have Cally, Dorsett, Girardi and Boyle.

I think I might take my chances on the team that scores with Lundy in net instead of trying to play 6 goalies. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2013, 06:13 PM
These are stats you keep referencing. That Ranger team in 2011-2012 predicated themselves on blocking shots and being tough defensively. Meanwhile this Ranger team took a step back with more talent than the Islanders, as they were 2 points away from having the 6th seed themselves.

I posted the list of the top shot blocking teams. They did not do well in the playoffs. Teams need some balance. If the large majority of the thinking is all about shot blocking and dumping the puck I suspect it will be hard to score many goals off the rush.

metswon69
06-26-2013, 06:17 PM
I posted the list of the top shot blocking teams. They did not do well in the playoffs. Teams need some balance. If the large majority of the thinking is all about shot blocking and dumping the puck I suspect it will be hard to score many goals off the rush.

Well like i posted in the other thread, defensively the Canucks were top 10 in GA allowed four of the last five seasons (twice being number 1). I don't see defense being sacrificed at the behest of offense with AV.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I said the Rangers blocked more shots over Tortorella's tenure than probably anyone outside of Boston and it hasn't translated into goal scoring. Tell me where I'm wrong, the Rangers playoffs last year they lead the league in shots blocked and were scoring 1 or 2 goals a game. You said Tortorella said that shot blocking creates offense. That didn't work in NY otherwise we wouldn't be struggling to score since we're always over the course of the regular season and playoffs one of the highest shot blocking teams in the league. What is the problem with what I said?

How can you include playoffs. It completely skews the numbers. That would be the equivalent of me trying to to explain how great the Rangers were in scoring goals and comparing them to teams that didn't play any postseason games.

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
He can have Cally, Dorsett, Girardi and Boyle.

I think I might take my chances on the team that scores with Lundy in net instead of trying to play 6 goalies. :)

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 06:50 PM

This is good stuff. I'm interested in learning where this team was more talented being they rolled four lines a year earlier.

Name the changes b/c your perception of what was and what is on that ice needs to be clarified being you feel it's the coach.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2013, 06:57 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

We should look to trade Torts all his kind of guys. His favorites (Cally, Boyle, Etc).

The guys who throw the hits, block the shots, jam, etc.

Bring back some offensive talent (The Sedins) who do not do those things in their place.

metswon69
06-26-2013, 06:59 PM
This is good stuff. I'm interested in learning where this team was more talented being they rolled four lines a year earlier.

Name the changes b/c your perception of what was and what is on that ice needs to be clarified being you feel it's the coach.

I said they had more talent than the Islanders and they did. Are you really going to tell me the Rangers roster didn't have more talent the Islanders this season?

That would suggest to me the Islanders have a better system than the Rangers or at least their players respond better to the coach.

How did guys like Visnovsky, Boyes, Aucoin, etc etc play with no preseason adjustment to their new system?

bsi
06-26-2013, 08:39 PM
How can you include playoffs. It completely skews the numbers. That would be the equivalent of me trying to to explain how great the Rangers were in scoring goals and comparing them to teams that didn't play any postseason games.

Because according to what you were quoting Tortorella, more shot blocking meant more offense. We've blocked a ton of shots over Tortorella's 4 years and we've scored very little in regular season and in playoffs, that's my point. The two have nothing to do with each other. We've blocked an insane amount of shots over those 4 years with little to show for it offensively unless you count all the man games lost because of injuries blocking shots and in that case it's cost us offence.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Because according to what you were quoting Tortorella, more shot blocking meant more offense. We've blocked a ton of shots over Tortorella's 4 years and we've scored very little in regular season and in playoffs, that's my point. The two have nothing to do with each other. We've blocked an insane amount of shots over those 4 years with little to show for it offensively unless you count all the man games lost because of injuries blocking shots and in that case it's cost us offence.

I know Tortorella said that because I watched the press conference but I never brought that up in our discussion. Just showed that the Rangers shot blocking is greatly exagerrated. They've never even led the league in it.

bsi
06-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I know Tortorella said that because I watched the press conference but I never brought that up in our discussion. Just showed that the Rangers shot blocking is greatly exagerrated. They've never even led the league in it.

After looking back it was sfgiants that had said Torts said more blocking meant more offense, I suggested that we were one of the highest shot blocking teams under Tortorella, which we were, you called me a liar and I guess we went from there. They lead the league in the playoffs in shot blocking last year.

NYSPORTS98
06-26-2013, 09:00 PM
I said they had more talent than the Islanders and they did. Are you really going to tell me the Rangers roster didn't have more talent the Islanders this season?

That would suggest to me the Islanders have a better system than the Rangers or at least their players respond better to the coach.

How did guys like Visnovsky, Boyes, Aucoin, etc etc play with no preseason adjustment to their new system?

Bet your life on it; if the Rangers kept their roster intact they would have done a lot better. It's something called team dynamics which you obviously dismiss yet will focus on a perceived personality which is formulated by a few hacks in the media. Throw a bunch of players together and blame the coach.

Since it's 100% on the coach, I imagine you expect this roster to remain 100% intact for the new coach b/c this is a Stanley Cup team, right?

It still doesn't appear you recognize the changes in the roster and what was wrong during the games on the boards. The coach explained it, many fans saw it but that certain percentage will never get it. Kinda like Wilpon soup

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
After looking back it was sfgiants that had said Torts said more blocking meant more offense, I suggested that we were one of the highest shot blocking teams under Tortorella, which we were, you called me a liar and I guess we went from there. They lead the league in the playoffs in shot blocking last year.

You didn't suggest that we were on of the highest shot blocking teams under Tortorella, you suggested we were the highest shot blocking team under Tortorella. We weren't.

metswon69
06-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Bet your life on it; if the Rangers kept their roster intact they would have done a lot better. It's something called team dynamics which you obviously dismiss yet will focus on a perceived personality which is formulated by a few hacks in the media. Throw a bunch of players together and blame the coach.

Since it's 100% on the coach, I imagine you expect this roster to remain 100% intact for the new coach b/c this is a Stanley Cup team, right?

It still doesn't appear you recognize the changes in the roster and what was wrong during the games on the boards. The coach explained it, many fans saw it but that certain percentage will never get it. Kinda like Wilpon soup

Yeah considering the Rangers were a preseason Stanley Cup favorite and the Islanders weren't picked to make the playoffs, i think it's a safe bet to say who had more talent. Even if those predictions were offbase, the Rangers on paper were the more talented team than the Islanders.

Rangers goaltending> Islanders goaltending
Rangers defensive pairs> Islanders defensive pairs
Islanders depth offensively> Rangers depth offensively but the Rangers should have been better than 30th in the league before the trade in GPG.

Tell me when they made that deal for Nash were you against it (for the players involved)? Were you against the fact that they would have to let Fedetenko, Mitchell, etc go because of that deal and it's financial implications? (we all wanted Prust back so he doesn't count)

Unless you can prove that you were dead set against the Nash deal and how it would affect the rest of the team dynamics then you are only complaining in hindsight. You can find quotes from me back in January that said i knew this team was going to go through an adjustment period but i watched the same games you did and i saw a lack of effort, energy, and cohesion up until that trade was made. 35 games of inconsistent play and it's not all adjusting to a new system imo.

Again, i never said it was 100% on the coach and i never said the Rangers are going to stay 100% intact.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?820267-The-end-of-the-Brad-era&p=26523019#post26523019

I expect roster changes and we will see how said roster changes fair for the Canucks and Rangers.

bsi
06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
You didn't suggest that we were on of the highest shot blocking teams under Tortorella, you suggested we were the highest shot blocking team under Tortorella. We weren't.

BTW in 2012-2013 Rangers blocked 773 + 249 for a total of 1022 blocked shots good for 1st in the league for the year.
2011-2012 the Rangers blocked 1338 + 365 for a total of 1703 blocked shots good for 1st place in the league for the year.
2010-2011 Rangers blocked 1301 + 103 for a total of 1404 blocked shots good for 2nd to Boston in the league for the year.
BTW I suggested that we were likely the highest shot blocking team in the league behind maybe Boston, and in fact we were first the last two years and 2nd to Boston in 2010 yet it didn't translate into an offensive juggernaut. Over those three Tortorella years our team had the puck hit them more than any other team in the league.

fingerbang
06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
BTW in 2012-2013 Rangers blocked 773 + 249 for a total of 1022 blocked shots good for 1st in the league for the year.
2011-2012 the Rangers blocked 1338 + 365 for a total of 1703 blocked shots good for 1st place in the league for the year.
2010-2011 Rangers blocked 1301 + 103 for a total of 1404 blocked shots good for 2nd to Boston in the league for the year.
BTW I suggested that we were likely the highest shot blocking team in the league behind maybe Boston, and in fact we were first the last two years and 2nd to Boston in 2010 yet it didn't translate into an offensive juggernaut. Over those three Tortorella years our team had the puck hit them more than any other team in the league.

OK so based on that logic Torts offensive system was better than Guy Boucher's run and gun system over the last two years because:

2012-13: Rangers 126 + 26 = 152 Lightning 147
2011-12: Rangers 222 + 43 = 265 Lightning 232

That logic is ridiculous.

sacgiants1213
06-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Didn't intend to create a shot blocking debate, but thanks for the comments.

metswon69
06-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Didn't intend to create a shot blocking debate, but thanks for the comments.

It's ok :laugh2:.

Essentially what u need to know is on the first page. He's a dump and chase guy who will make the team tougher in its zone. The young guys don't get that much of a leash, he doesn't discriminate when it comes to blocking shots, there is emphasis on puck possession in your own zone, not turning the puck over etc.

bsi
06-27-2013, 02:26 AM
OK so based on that logic Torts offensive system was better than Guy Boucher's run and gun system over the last two years because:

2012-13: Rangers 126 + 26 = 152 Lightning 147
2011-12: Rangers 222 + 43 = 265 Lightning 232

That logic is ridiculous.

Thanks for proving my point.....one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

sacgiants1213
06-27-2013, 03:30 AM
It's ok :laugh2:.

Essentially what u need to know is on the first page. He's a dump and chase guy who will make the team tougher in its zone. The young guys don't get that much of a leash, he doesn't discriminate when it comes to blocking shots, there is emphasis on puck possession, etc.

How do you think he'll fix Vancouver's scoring woes?

metswon69
06-27-2013, 03:51 AM

I am not sure 100% sure he will unless he goes back more towards his offensive style in Tampa Bay. This team became very much about dump & chase and aggressive forechecking. They weren't fluid on the PP either, they never had anyone screen down low, there was little movement without the puck, and there was too much passing at times (and the guy who ran the PP, Mike Sullivan is reportedly following him to Vancouver)

You heard him in the press conference about blocking shots leading to possible odd man breaks. His offensive strategy was very vanilla here, it's more about toughness and specifically playing well in your own end.

sacgiants1213
06-27-2013, 04:00 AM
I am not sure 100% sure he will unless he goes back more towards his offensive style in Tampa Bay. This team became very much about dump & chase and aggressive forechecking. They weren't fluid on the PP either, they never had anyone screen down low, there was little movement without the puck, and there was too much passing at times (and the guy who ran the PP, Mike Sullivan is reportedly following him to Vancouver)

You heard him in the press conference about blocking shots leading to possible odd man breaks. His offensive strategy was very vanilla here, it's more about toughness and specifically playing well in your own end.

I am suddenly unexcited. I think he can help guys like Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, but I'll keep my expectations low...

NYSPORTS98
06-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Listen to his press conference. He mentioned something (can't recall the actual wording) about getting tougher. Ever coach wants more offense, etc and it happens. You need defense . . . look at the teams in the finals, etc, etc. Your team is in very good hands. His only concern is learning about the travel.

bsi
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I am suddenly unexcited. I think he can help guys like Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, but I'll keep my expectations low...

He's fine as long as the team is winning, when they start to sputter he turns into something out of the exorcist.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-27-2013, 10:57 AM

In some ways it sounded like Torts may have been humbled and learned something from his mistakes here. In other ways he sounded like he did not learn from them. After reading excerpts of both press conferences I'm very glad we made the coaching trade.

Torts had his guys on this team (Cally, Boyle) that did what he wanted (grind, jam, block shots, hit). The Sedins obviously are not known for that. I would really like to see if we could make some sort of deal.

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
In some ways it sounded like Torts may have been humbled and learned something from his mistakes here. In other ways he sounded like he did not learn from them. After reading excerpts of both press conferences I'm very glad we made the coaching trade.

Torts had his guys on this team (Cally, Boyle) that did what he wanted (grind, jam, block shots, hit). The Sedins obviously are not known for that. I would really like to see if we could make some sort of deal.

Please no creepy twins on the Rangers

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks for proving my point.....one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

It's the same logic you used.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Please no creepy twins on the Rangers

Creepy? Why? They are getting up there in age but if we could get them cheap (Cally, Boyle, Girardi) I'd be open to a deal.

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 11:44 AM
The Sedins cheap?

SLY WILLIAMS
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
The Sedins cheap?

They do not do the grind, shot block, hitting that the coach prefers and they are getting up in age so you never know. Joe Thornton went cheap years ago. We should ask Van if they have some interest in Torts guys (Cally/Boyle) and see if we can make a larger deal. It is a long shot for sure but it does not hurt to ask.

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 11:56 AM
They do not do the grind, shot block, hitting that the coach prefers and they are getting up in age so you never know. Joe Thornton went cheap years ago. We should ask Van if they have some interest in Torts guys (Cally/Boyle) and see if we can make a larger deal. It is a long shot for sure but it does not hurt to ask.

The Sedins are Vancouver. They were part of the reason Tortorella came to Vancouver. I'm not making that up, the Sedins were part of the decision to bring him in. They're not trading their first line to us for "Torts guys."

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Creepy? Why? They are getting up there in age but if we could get them cheap (Cally, Boyle, Girardi) I'd be open to a deal.

They are creepy!!! No thanks on that trade either

nyr2002nyr
06-27-2013, 12:21 PM
The Sedins are Vancouver. They were part of the reason Tortorella came to Vancouver. I'm not making that up, the Sedins were part of the decision to bring him in. They're not trading their first line to us for "Torts guys."

I hope they resign in Vancouver and never play in NY :)

fingerbang
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
No Hart Trophy winners for nyr? No problem.

sacgiants1213
06-27-2013, 01:46 PM

If the Canucks trade the Sedins I think Vancouver would riot. They're still elite offensive players.. IMO. And the Sedins reportedly pushed for Aquilini to hire Tortorella.

bsi
06-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I personally think Tortorella will like the Sedin twins really, I don't think they'll be blocking shots but they are good at cycling the puck and they actually work hard.

sacgiants1213
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I personally think Tortorella will like the Sedin twins really, I don't think they'll be blocking shots but they are good at cycling the puck and they actually work hard.

Yep, he said he likes when the best players are the hardest working players. Plus, the Sedins toughness is really underrated.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
They are creepy!!! No thanks on that trade either

What makes them creepy? I had not heard that description before.

sacgiants1213
06-27-2013, 02:52 PM
What makes them creepy? I had not heard that description before.

http://i47.tinypic.com/11hs3lz.jpg

bsi
06-30-2013, 05:29 PM
As I said before and it's been confirmed now Ulf Samuelson will join Alain Vigneaults staff.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome back Ulfie. I always like Rangers named Ulf. :)

bsi
06-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Welcome back Ulfie. I always like Rangers named Ulf. :)

Maybe he could dress for a game and get rid of Lucic...haha.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Maybe he could dress for a game and get rid of Lucic...haha.

It will be interesting to see how much Ulf the coach is like Ulf the player.